PDA

View Full Version : '10 FL CB Lo Wood (Notre Dame Signee)

Pages : 1 [2]

choo choo
08-24-2012, 01:53 AM
god bless ya lo...keep your head up and bust your ***...we're leaving the light on for ya...good luck young man

clashmore_mike
08-30-2012, 04:49 PM
@Lowood23: Well I might not be playing this year, but I still get two more years of football at Notre Dame! Which mean I can get my master degree ! #ND

Rhode Irish
08-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Atta boy, Lo.

irishff1014
08-30-2012, 05:25 PM
@Lowood23: Well I might not be playing this year, but I still get two more years of football at Notre Dame! Which mean I can get my master degree ! #ND

Thats awesome to read.

fitz_bu47
08-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Love the attitude!

NDhoosier
08-30-2012, 05:53 PM
great attitude, excited to see what he can do next year. Kid has a great head on his shoulders.

twig21
08-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Lo is the type of kid ND wants, not the kids Allen Pinkett was referring to.

Bogtrotter07
08-30-2012, 08:27 PM
I like Lo!

irishroo
02-21-2013, 02:14 AM
Played some pickup bball with Wood and some other players/former players today (Mike Floyd back in town for some reason and good lord can he play some ball) and I was shocked at the things Lo was doing just 6 months off a torn Achilles. Running full speed, making quick cuts, even throwing down a couple 360 dunks. He appears to be well ahead of schedule in terms of his recovery, which is really great to see from a kid who has approached his injury with such a great attitude. Hope he gets some real PT come September.

Redbar
02-21-2013, 02:21 AM
Unbelievable! Awesome news, really happy for Lo, he worked hard for that spot last year, it was his, hope he gets right back in the mix this year.

BleedBlueGold
02-21-2013, 07:11 AM
Played some pickup bball with Wood and some other players/former players today (Mike Floyd back in town for some reason and good lord can he play some ball) and I was shocked at the things Lo was doing just 6 months off a torn Achilles. Running full speed, making quick cuts, even throwing down a couple 360 dunks. He appears to be well ahead of schedule in terms of his recovery, which is really great to see from a kid who has approached his injury with such a great attitude. Hope he gets some real PT come September.

360 dunks? Isn't he only listed at 5'11"? Must have quite the hops!

dublinirish
02-21-2013, 07:12 AM
was Bruce Heggie dominating in the paint?

Rizzophil
02-21-2013, 07:42 AM
He has been working super hard to get back. It looks like he is on track to challenge for serious pt next year.

irishroo
02-21-2013, 10:52 AM
360 dunks? Isn't he only listed at 5'11"? Must have quite the hops!

Yeah and that is a generous 5'11". Kid can jump out of the gym

yankeeND
02-21-2013, 10:55 AM
That's awesome! Gotta have depth at the backend.

Bogtrotter07
02-21-2013, 11:02 AM
I hope this can be one of those transformational experiences. In life I have had the privilge to see a few occasions where the human spirit rose to overcome obsticles, and in doing so propelled the doer to greatness beyond the original plane of his talent.

That being said, I am 5'11" truly, and I could maybe jump and touch the net.

tadman95
02-21-2013, 11:29 AM
I have mad hop skills but chose to be evaluated on my mind prowess instead of physical skills.

:nanana1:

Bogtrotter07
02-21-2013, 11:40 AM
I have mad hop skills but chose to be evaluated on my mind prowess instead of physical skills.

:nanana1:

Between your quote and your avatar, you really paint a picture!

NDdomer2
02-21-2013, 01:52 PM
I hope this can be one of those transformational experiences. In life I have had the privilge to see a few occasions where the human spirit rose to overcome obsticles, and in doing so propelled the doer to greatness beyond the original plane of his talent.

That being said, I am 5'11" truly, and I could maybe jump and touch the net.

The net? lets be honest Bogs.

IrishLax
02-21-2013, 01:54 PM

That's crazy! Wonder if it wasn't a full rupture... really exciting news! Thanks for posting.

NDdomer2
02-21-2013, 02:02 PM

Irish2015
02-21-2013, 03:35 PM
where we you playing? rolfs or the rock?

Bogtrotter07
02-21-2013, 03:40 PM
The net? lets be honest Bogs.

Could as in past tense. Could as in "could ever, (even once)" But not too long ago I jumped up and grabbed the stuck broom that was hanging from the bottom of the net that we used to get the ball freed up with. That was right after I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

irishroo
02-21-2013, 05:02 PM
where we you playing? rolfs or the rock?

Rolfs

STLDomer
07-15-2013, 10:52 AM
I know a lot don't want to hear this but Sampson thinks Jackson, Farley, Baratti, & Wood will be our starting DBs Game 1

Emcee77
07-15-2013, 10:55 AM
I know a lot don't want to hear this but Sampson thinks Jackson, Farley, Baratti, & Wood will be our starting DBs Game 1

Wow, really?? Surprising and shocking, respectively.

Rizzophil
07-15-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm excited about our db depth. I wouldn't bet again Lo Wood. He is coming back strong and E Shumate is an athletic freak. Our nickel and dime defense will be much improved.

woolybug25
07-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Pulling KRussel after being a freshman all american? That is a bold prediction.

Frankly, it's one I don't share.

tko
07-15-2013, 11:00 AM
No way Russell won't be a starter. Sampson can get bent.

dublinirish
07-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Training Camp Battle looming, can't wait to see how it all plays out. There is serious competition in the back of the D. A guy like Collinsworth too will be in the mix also not to mentoin Redfield and co..its a rags to riches story!

NoJusticeNoPeace
07-15-2013, 11:03 AM
The coaching staff would have to be smoking rocks to not start Russell. Last year he looked like a future star CB.

rocket66
07-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Kind of random timing for Sampson to make that prediction. So much more info to come out once Fall camp opens. Either way, db is becoming a strength on the roster...finally.

Ndaccountant
07-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Wow, really?? Surprising and shocking, respectively.

KR had a huge amount of work to do in the weight room, something I was hoping he could get done in the next two years. He did an amazing job last year, but he did struggle at times versus the run setting the perimeter. I just wonder if Lo really had the same coverage skills and speed.

BleedBlueGold
07-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Pulling KRussel after being a freshman all american? That is a bold prediction.

Frankly, it's one I don't share.

No way Russell won't be a starter. Sampson can get bent.

Yup.

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/31100000/High-Five-how-i-met-your-mother-31110209-320-163.gif

Luckylucci
07-15-2013, 11:08 AM
He also said that the only other prediction he would make is that we don't end the season that way. So he views that as the starters against Temple with changes coming later. What changes he didn't specify. Then he said that he doesn't have a lot of conviction behind the Wood over Russel prediction.

PANDFAN
07-15-2013, 11:11 AM
He also said that the only other prediction he would make is that we don't end the season that way. So he views that as the starters against Temple with changes coming later. What changes he didn't specify. Then he said that he doesn't have a lot of conviction behind the Wood over Russel prediction.

so it sounds like he just pulled some bs out his @ss and then if it happens looks smart and then if it doesn't happen...see i wasn't all in on it...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma1h2hiZaM1qlm74ho1_500.jpg

Kaneyoufeelit
07-15-2013, 11:12 AM

So basically he just wants attention. *fart*

I do agree that there will be a change later in the year by way of Redfield becoming a starter

dublinirish
07-15-2013, 11:14 AM
So basically he just wants attention. *fart*

I do agree that there will be a change later in the year by way of Redfield becoming a starter

at CB? interesting!

Kaneyoufeelit
07-15-2013, 11:16 AM
at CB? interesting!

No at safety. He will take over or Farley or Baratti

PANDFAN
07-15-2013, 11:17 AM
at CB? interesting!

he was talking S....he just meant a change in the starters indicating that Barrati or shumate will be taken over by redfield

dublinirish
07-15-2013, 11:18 AM
No at safety. He will take over or Farley or Baratti

i can see Farley being a mainstay but a quad of Baratti, Collinsworth, Schumate and Redfield all rotating in and out

GoldenIsThyFame
07-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Remember he said he thinks Wood would start not that Wood will receive a majority of the snaps. There is a difference. I fully expect Keivarae to be in on the majority of snaps.

Luckylucci
07-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Remember he said he thinks Wood would start not that Wood will receive a majority of the snaps. There is a difference. I fully expect Keivarae to be in on the majority of snaps.

Yep, I should have also noted that he said it doesn't really matter who starts he expects a three man rotation at CB.

Domina Nostra
07-15-2013, 11:30 AM

Confidence in the prediction:

- Jackson- 100% (easy call)

- Farly- 100% (he is such a smart and athletic player that he will continue to improve at a very fast rate)

- Barratti- toss-up (Personally I think it wil be Shumate since he sounds like the best athlete among the bunch, but he has a steep learning curve ahead of him. Barratti is big, fast, and used to the position. Plus, he continues our illustrious line of white safeties. Collinsworth could also break in here.)

- Wood- 1% (Lo Wood is going to have to play light out to unseat a kid with KR's talent that went through the battles last year. To me, it seems more likely that Cole Luke challenges Wood, than Wood challenges KR.)

Emcee77
07-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Confidence in the prediction:

- Jackson- 100% (easy call)

- Farly- 100% (he is such a smart and athletic player that he will continue to improve at a very fast rate)

- Barratti- toss-up (Personally I think it wil be Shumate since he sounds like the best athlete among the bunch, but he has a steep learning curve ahead of him. Barratti is big, fast, and used to the position. Plus, he continues our illustrious line of white safeties. Collinsworth could also break in here.)

- Wood- 1% (Lo Wood is going to have to play light out to unseat a kid with KR's talent that went through the battles last year. To me, it seems more likely that Cole Luke challenges Wood, than Wood challenges KR.)

Pretty much how I see it too. Baratti could definitely win the job over Shumate. Personally, I expect Shumate to win it--I think most of us do--but by all accounts it could definitely be Baratti if he has a good camp.

Wood will have to really reach a new level to unseat Russell though. Russell has a lot of athleticism. He made numerous touchdown saving tackles last season, and his tackling will only improve with more time in the program to get bigger and stronger under Longo. I won't rule it out but I don't see Wood taking the job from him.

Damion704
07-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Has Lo Wood gave anyone any reason to think he would start KR?

Luckylucci
07-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Lo has had two very good spring camps. If it wasn't for his injury he would have started for us all year last year. Now his injury and and KR's successful season create a lot of moving parts. But to answer your question, Damion. Yes, the staff has been very high on Lo minus the injury.

STLDomer
07-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Don't shoot the messenger, Sampson:People are really overrating Russell on this board based on last season. He was Notre Dame's fifth-best defensive back behind Jackson, Motta, Slaughter and Farley. Notre Dame had to protect him all season by rolling coverages to his side, which was explicitly said by coaches during the Coaches Clinic this spring. While he was outstanding for a freshman, that's a relative compliment. He needs to improve big time this season for Notre Dame's defense to hold up. It's my belief that that staff is very high on Lo Wood coming out of spring and that he'll be starting in the field (where Russell struggled this spring) and Jackson will return to the boundary.

woolybug25
07-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Don't shoot the messenger, Sampson:

Is Sampson taking Stupid-Pills or something? It's not just Notre Dame fans that are high on KRuss, he was voted as a Second Team Freshman All-American by the Sporting News and Scout.com. Are they all stupid, too?

Domina Nostra
07-15-2013, 12:11 PM

I'm sure Sampson has a point about overrating in a relative sense, but...

- We did go 12-0 and gave up very, very few points. It's all pretty relative. People were not eating KR up by any stretch and we were able to protect him while having one of the best defenses in the country;

- Saying he was the "fifth-best defensive back behind Jackson, Motta, Slaughter and Farley" because "Notre Dame had to protect him all season by rolling coverages to his side" is just silly. There are two corners on the field most plays; ND had one that was really good and one that was a freshman RB. Of course they were going to roll coverages to his side. Safeties are called safeties for a reason, they float and do not have to line up across from someone. We sure as heck weren't going to roll a CB somewhere to "protect" Farley! That's almost like saying it proves that the QB was not as good as the RB because the RB was constantly used to protect him from rushers.

Irishman77
07-15-2013, 12:12 PM
What our coaches accomplished last year with our depth/inexperience and injury issues is nothing short of miraculous.Think about the conversations we had this time last year!

Staff will play the best player. We have some very healthy competition now. Russell played much better than Sampson's comments allude to. It would take an astonishing performance matched with no health issues for wood to unseat Russell IMHO. However Wood will play a ton and will start opposite Russell in his 5th yr.

Sherm Sticky
07-15-2013, 12:27 PM
I actually agree with Sampson 100% here. Russell is still completely raw at the position. Lo Wood is a polished veteran. Let Russell sit behind or split time with Lo Wood this year.

Me2SouthBend
07-15-2013, 12:36 PM
I actually agree with Sampson 100% here. Russell is still completely raw at the position. Lo Wood is a polished veteran. Let Russell sit behind or split time with Lo Wood this year.

A polished veteran? Russell has already taken more career snaps as a DB than Wood hasn't he?

woolybug25
07-15-2013, 12:39 PM

"Polished Veteran?" Lo Wood has seen action in 21 games in his Notre Dame career spanning over three seasons (1 sat out because of injury). Here are some stats:

Total Tackles - 10
Tackles For Loss - 0.5
Interceptions - 1
Sacks - 0

Here is what KRuss accomplished in 13 games as a freshman.

Total Tackles - 58
Tackles For Loss - 2
Interceptions - 2
Sacks - 0.5

Not to mention, KRuss STARTED 13 games while Wood only appeared in his 21. KRuss has more experience and production.

Polished my @ss...

tko
07-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Wood is just a veteran imo and that's it. KR trumps him on big game experience and will build on that again this year. It's nice to have Wood back in the fold and competing for PT, but KR will prevail.

Sherm Sticky
07-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Polished veteran because Wood has been playing DB for oh idk his whole life. Russell has played DB for 1 year. Back pedal, footwork, recognition all goes to Lo. I say they split time this year.

GoIrish41
07-15-2013, 12:53 PM
No way Russell isn't the starter.

CanadalovesND
07-15-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm in on Wood being the starter. Just because KR had this "fantastic" season, he was still pretty much an average corner, but he has the tools to become a great corner.

Wood, has been playing the position for years, has a better understanding of the position and of this defense (due to the fact that he's been here for four years now), he's just more polished. And don't give me stats to back up who's more polished. Obviously a 13 game starter is gonna have more production than a 21 game appearance-er (i doubt that's a word?), but Wood has mostly been a special team and back up CB. If he had the opportunity to start last season, his production numberswould be much higher.

I really don't see the issue if KR isn't a starter. He's still gonna get a lot of reps, which is something unthinkable considering this time last year he was a RB with NO CB experience (played DB in HS, but was a S).

Then, after 2013-14 season, by the time Bennett Jackson graduates and leaves, he'll take over the vacant opening along side Wood, and then the marvelous Cole Luke (he has two first names!!!!!) will fill that 3rd CB role in the rotation.

STLDomer
07-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Can we stop with the "no way" Wood is the starter? There's a fair chance it happens. I'm on the Russell side but to say a veteran that the staff has always liked has no way of starting is just not true IMO.

pumpdog20
07-15-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm sure Sampson has a point about overrating in a relative sense, but...

- We did go 12-0 and gave up very, very few points. It's all pretty relative. People were not eating KR up by any stretch and we were able to protect him while having one of the best defenses in the country;

- Saying he was the "fifth-best defensive back behind Jackson, Motta, Slaughter and Farley" because "Notre Dame had to protect him all season by rolling coverages to his side" is just silly. There are two corners on the field most plays; ND had one that was really good and one that was a freshman RB. Of course they were going to roll coverages to his side. Safeties are called safeties for a reason, they float and do not have to line up across from someone. We sure as heck weren't going to roll a CB somewhere to "protect" Farley! That's almost like saying it proves that the QB was not as good as the RB because the RB was constantly used to protect him from rushers.

This x 1000. Of course safeties were rolled over to protect a CB. It's damn near impossible to cover a WR at this level by yourself any more.

dublinirish
07-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Plus, he continues our illustrious line of white safeties. Collinsworth could also break in here.)

aha this is the truth!

woolybug25
07-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Polished veteran because Wood has been playing DB for oh idk his whole life. Russell has played DB for 1 year. Back pedal, footwork, recognition all goes to Lo. I say they split time this year.

I don't think anyone is debating that they will split time, we are debating if the staff is going to give the starting nod to a kid that sat out all last year over a returning all american.

KRuss didn't just play RB in high school either, he played on defense as well. It's not like his first snap as a DB was at Notre Dame.

NDWorld247
07-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Can we stop with the "no way" Wood is the starter? There's a fair chance it happens. I'm on the Russell side but to say a veteran that the staff has always liked has no way of starting is just not true IMO.

I agree with this and will add none of us have enough information to make any definitive statements, unless of course you've been to practice, summer workouts, etc. Opinions and predictions are fine, but definitive statements are a big no no IMO.

My take is all of this competition in the defensive backfield will make us a much better team and it appears we will have more game ready DBs than any season in recent memory. I think we'll see a much heavier rotation than 2012 regardless of who starts at CB and S.

IrishLax
07-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Sampson's logic is really flawed. Saying "5th best DB" and then listing 3 safeties... none of which could play Russel's position... is just one of the dumbest things I've ever seen a professional write.

Not that this has any bearing on Lo Wood and his prospects of starting, but the logic does not hold.

dublinirish
when KVR was making picks versus USC when he was in man coverage on Marquis Lee he definitely wasn't having coverage rolled to his side. Kid's a baller

koonja
In CFB, you need at least 3 starting-type CBs, so it really doesn't matter who 'starts', but FWIW, I think Russel will be the #2.

And IDK the meaning of 'veteran'. Is it years on a team? Or actual field experience? Because if it's actually real game experience, Russel's the veteran, not Wood.

CanadalovesND
07-15-2013, 01:22 PM
when KVR was making picks versus USC when he was in man coverage on Marquis Lee he definitely wasn't having coverage rolled to his side. Kid's a baller

He made one pick, and it was against an underthrown go route by Wittek. He also had like four penalties, although they were smart penalties, they were in the redzone, otherwise, would have been a Marquise Lee touchdown

Sherm Sticky
07-15-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm in on Wood being the starter. Just because KR had this "fantastic" season, he was still pretty much an average corner, but he has the tools to become a great corner.

Wood, has been playing the position for years, has a better understanding of the position and of this defense (due to the fact that he's been here for four years now), he's just more polished. And don't give me stats to back up who's more polished. Obviously a 13 game starter is gonna have more production than a 21 game appearance-er (i doubt that's a word?), but Wood has mostly been a special team and back up CB. If he had the opportunity to start last season, his production numberswould be much higher.

I really don't see the issue if KR isn't a starter. He's still gonna get a lot of reps, which is something unthinkable considering this time last year he was a RB with NO CB experience (played DB in HS, but was a S).

Then, after 2013-14 season, by the time Bennett Jackson graduates and leaves, he'll take over the vacant opening along side Wood, and then the marvelous Cole Luke (he has two first names!!!!!) will fill that 3rd CB role in the rotation.
^This reps.

koonja
07-15-2013, 01:28 PM

What do you base the statement that Wood has a better understanding of the position and defense on? Russel has more collegiate level game experience. Wood's never taken a snap as the starter, Russel has 13 games as the starter.

Not to mention, BK spoke glowingly about how intelligent Russel is and how he's beyond his years; I don't think 'not knowing the system as well' is applicable to Russel.

If you're just counting years in the system, do you also think Connor Cavalaris and Joe Ramono should be ahead of Russel?

I disagree with your reasoning, but either way, we have a great problem on our hands.

Ndaccountant
07-15-2013, 01:33 PM
I still think size is a major issue here. Wood is listed in the spring roster as being 5-10 195 versus 5-11 182 for KR. Diaco really likes CB's that can set the edge against the run and KR's size limits his ability for now.

GoIrish41
07-15-2013, 01:35 PM
I still think size is a major issue here. Wood is listed in the spring roster as being 5-10 195 versus 5-11 182 for KR. Diaco really likes CB's that can set the edge against the run and KR's size limits his ability for now.

Russell was one of the best natural tacklers on the team last year.

Emcee77
07-15-2013, 01:37 PM

Right. I didn't notice a problem with Russell's tackling.

Ndaccountant
07-15-2013, 01:44 PM

Tackling is different than setting the edge against a blocker. Russell can tackle just fine, but the question is whether or he can avoid getting pushed up field/outside/inside by a blocker. He got mauled by Bama in that regard.

Luckylucci
07-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Lets not discount Lo guys. He's had very good camps when healthy and whether he starts or not this development is positive. With Jackson leaving after this year we want Lo to be playing a lot so there isn't a significant drop off next year. Its not an all or nothing situation. Both will play and hopefully both get better.

ACamp1900
07-15-2013, 01:46 PM
It's REALLY hard to be critical of KR (as a true freshman running back) after the year he had last year... you could make the case he was the single most important contributor/surprise last year... I thought he was great.

That said, sophomore slumps do happen, and I hope Lo Wood is at least there to drive KR past any backward slides that many in his situation tend to have… and if he does slip, here’s hoping Wood is ready to go.

GoIrish41
07-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Tackling is different than setting the edge against a blocker. Russell can tackle just fine, but the question is whether or he can avoid getting pushed up field/outside/inside by a blocker. He got mauled by Bama in that regard.

outside of Nix, who didn't?

CanadalovesND
07-15-2013, 01:50 PM
What do you base the statement that Wood has a better understanding of the position and defense on? Russel has more collegiate level game experience. Wood's never taken a snap as the starter, Russel has 13 games as the starter.

Russel started as a freshman, not to mention, BK spoke glowingly about how intelligent Russel is and how he's beyond his years; I don't think 'not knowing the system as well' is applicable to Russel.

If you're just counting years in the system, do you also think Connor Cavalaris and Joe Ramono should be ahead of Russel?

I disagree with your reasoning, but either way, we have a great problem on our hands.

Simple fact that KR has not been playing the position or has been in the system long. Wood has.

BK also spoke glowingly about Lo Wood heading into and during last year's fall camp, saying how he was the biggest surprise (in a good way obviously) of camp before he got hurt.

Russell may be "beyond his years" but he still has lots of work to do in the technique department. Being fast and athletic isn't enough to be a big time, elite CB. It's the attention to detail, the little things that truly make any player great, elite etc.

Wood also has his work cut out for him too, especially coming off injury.

I just don't see why Russell has to be, or has the #2 CB role firmly in hand. He's young, he's raw. We should take our time with him. That doesn't mean hold him back, but it doesn't mean expose him. Some will say last year was exposure, and yes, they are correct to assume so, but KR was somewhat "babied" last year. Meaning the staff didn't throw him into the fire being left all helpless. He had a lot of help coverage and scheme wise.

Ndaccountant
07-15-2013, 02:23 PM
outside of Nix, who didn't?

There is a difference, IMO, between being out-schemed and outmanned. Nix outmanned despite being out-schemed. Bama clearly out-schemed us elsewhere, which led to them appearing to physically dominate. No doubt, they had a physical edge, but not as much as the game led people to believe.

As far as KR is concerned, he was just outmanned on the edge. I recall Warmack pulling and heading right for him and KR ducked, as would I in his shoes. Other times their WR's were able to push him around. His problem was being able to physically match up and it really didn't show until the DL and LB's were not able to stop anyone.

Whiskeyjack
07-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Simple fact that KR has not been playing the position or has been in the system long. Wood has.

It's hard to put a value on "time in the system". Tyler Stockton was a borderline 5:s: recruit who's entering his 5th year; so why is Nix considered a lock to start at NT, hrm?

BK also spoke glowingly about Lo Wood heading into and during last year's fall camp, saying how he was the biggest surprise (in a good way obviously) of camp before he got hurt.

Again, we can't take Kelly's public statements at face value, so it's hard to accurately value that praise. "Time in system + vague praise from Kelly = Wood starts!" is gonna be a tough sell.

Russell may be "beyond his years" but he still has lots of work to do in the technique department. Being fast and athletic isn't enough to be a big time, elite CB. It's the attention to detail, the little things that truly make any player great, elite etc.

Russell is more athletic than Wood and has far more experience as a starter (particularly "big game" experience, which the staff feels is very valuable). You assume since Wood has had more time in the system, that he has a mental edge over Russell. That's pure speculation.

Some will say last year was exposure, and yes, they are correct to assume so, but KR was somewhat "babied" last year. Meaning the staff didn't throw him into the fire being left all helpless. He had a lot of help coverage and scheme wise.

My understanding is that our inexperienced secondary primarily hindered Diaco schematically; as a unit, they couldn't be trusted in man-coverage often, so we rarely blitzed (and fortunately for us, our DL was good enough to generate pressure on its own.) Farley and Jackson were also being protected, not just Russell. Why do you think Wood would have been proficient enough in man-coverage to allow Diaco to blitz more often than he did? I've seen no evidence for it.

Russell was a freshman All-American last season; he racked up impressive stats and lots of big game experience as a 13-game starter during our '12 title run. So yes, barring some crazy development in fall camp, he's a lock to start against Temple. The case for starting Wood over Russell is extremely weak.

Damion704
07-15-2013, 02:45 PM
AMEN

irishog77
07-15-2013, 02:48 PM
I think it is a great sign when a starter from last year's top-notch D may not start this year.

As for Team Wood or Team Russell, I have no clue. I, like others, think the term "starter" may be a bit of semantics, as both could play a whole helluva lot. Didn't honey badger technically not start his great year? Wasn't he the nickel/slot guy.

woolybug25
07-15-2013, 03:14 PM

KRuss had 8 tackles in the game, so he couldn't have gotten mauled that bad. It was his second highest total of the year.

dshans
07-15-2013, 03:15 PM
... by the time Bennett Jackson (he has two last names!!!!!) graduates and leaves, he'll take over the vacant opening along side Wood, and then the marvelous Cole Luke (he has two first names!!!!!) will fill that 3rd CB role in the rotation.

Just to be fair I added the bold portion for you ....

IE won't let me format the way I want. I give up. See below.

Ndaccountant
07-15-2013, 03:47 PM
KRuss had 8 tackles in the game, so he couldn't have gotten mauled that bad. It was his second highest total of the year.

Ah yes, because tackling = success in not getting pushed around. Of his 8 tackles, only three were solo. Remember, Bama had their way in the passing game. I would like to see a breakdown of those tackles and where they came run/pass. My hunch is that his solo tackles came in the passing game.

For comparison sake, Zeke had his highest tackling game of the year, matching his total of the previous three games combined. MF had his third highest game tackling. I give ZM all the credit in the world for his effort, but just because he tackled a bunch of people doesn't mean he played well.

Domina Nostra
07-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Russell was a freshman All-American last season; he racked up impressive stats and lots of big game experience as a 13-game starter during our '12 title run. So yes, barring some crazy development in fall camp, he's a lock to start against Temple. The case for starting Wood over Russell is extremely weak.

Right. It's funny talking about KR being overrated and then talking about Lo Wood unseating him.

To me Lo is a guy who never challenged for playing time and then got a lot of praise during a period where absolutely had to step up based on an incredibly thin depth chart. I am not saying Coach was blowing hot air, apparently the interception at MD gave him a lot of confidence, and his time in the system paid off. However, instilling confidence in your starting CB was a very, very important at that time, so I took that praise of Lo with a grain of salt.

In an absolutely deperate moment, along comes KR and turns out to be just a stud athlete, if very raw at the position. He makes the freshman AA squad. Is he lights out? Apparently not, but he has a very high upside to say the least. KR made up for a lot with his athleticism. On the other hand, technically sound but less athletic CBs get burned regularly.

So now we are talking about Lo Wood unseating him? This is not Bennett Jackson, or even Gary Grey or Darrin Walls coming back. It seems to me that it's Lo that's now being overrated. If Lo is currently clearly beyond where KR was last season, that is a big development, IMO. That will improve my view of our depth chart considerably.

Redbar
07-15-2013, 03:53 PM
I love and root for all our guys.
They love and pull for each other.
These two in particular are both really capable players.
The staff will play the best person in the proper situation.
Both will play.

arrowryan
07-15-2013, 04:06 PM
I'm not going to try and make a bold prediction on who the starter is going to be. I'm just glad to see that there is great competition all over the secondary, all it's going to do is give us a great secondary for the next 4-5 years. Would I like to see KVR continue his success from last year? Absolutely. Would I like to see Lo Wood make a strong comeback from his injury? Of course. Like others have said, it's not going to matter who starts against Temple because there will be a rotation.

Let the best man win

woolybug25
07-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Ah yes, because tackling = success in not getting pushed around. Of his 8 tackles, only three were solo. Remember, Bama had their way in the passing game. I would like to see a breakdown of those tackles and where they came run/pass. My hunch is that his solo tackles came in the passing game.

For comparison sake, Zeke had his highest tackling game of the year, matching his total of the previous three games combined. MF had his third highest game tackling. I give ZM all the credit in the world for his effort, but just because he tackled a bunch of people doesn't mean he played well.

I hear ya, but I think you will be hard pressed to find someone that believes that our defensive struggles against Bama didn't start up front. KRuss wasn't the reason we got smoked in that game.

Ndaccountant
07-15-2013, 05:47 PM
I hear ya, but I think you will be hard pressed to find someone that believes that our defensive struggles against Bama didn't start up front. KRuss wasn't the reason we got smoked in that game.

Agree, which also helps explain why it wasn't an issue prior to that. Russell readily admitted after the game he was physically out matched. However, it wasn't a problem previously since the front 7 was able to protect KR.

CanadalovesND
07-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Just to be fair I added the bold portion for you ....

?

dshans
07-15-2013, 06:20 PM
?

It was a failed attempt at humor. I just wanted to point out that while Cole Luke has two first names, Bennett Jackson has two last names.

woolybug25
07-15-2013, 06:24 PM
It was a failed attempt at humor. I just wanted to point out that while Cole Luke has two first names, Bennett Jackson has two last names.

Or two first names. My nephew is named Jackson and I have a friend with the first name Bennett. I guess you could say that he is the only player with two first AND last names.

Moral of the story... he wins at names.

ND NYC
07-16-2013, 12:01 PM
i'm more surprised at the sampson pegging of Baratti as a starter than the Wood/Russell debate

nd1989
07-16-2013, 12:13 PM
i'm more surprised at the sampson pegging of Baratti as a starter than the Wood/Russell debate

Right. Baratti over Collinsworth to me is a bigger story.

FLDomer
07-16-2013, 12:42 PM

I am not shocked by this Baratti, I believe is faster than AC and has a much higher ceiling. NB is way underrated. This kid will be a stud for the Irish.

dublinirish
07-16-2013, 12:48 PM
considering baratti watched spring ball from the sidelines its indeed a shock that sampson pegged him to start

FLDomer
07-16-2013, 01:23 PM
considering baratti watched spring ball from the sidelines its indeed a shock that sampson pegged him to start

Wasnt he injured? Minor shoulder injury or something?

irishroo
07-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Wow what a difference a year makes. Remember last year when Lo went down and we were freaking out about getting somebody who could at least compete out there? Now we're talking about sitting a freshman All-America because we've got a fifth-year senior who's a better option, and we've got 6-8 guys (Jackson, Russell, Wood, Farley, Baratti, Collinsworth, Shumate, Redfield[?]) who could start for most other teams in the country. I don't think there's a better illustration of the effect Kelly, Diaco and Co. have had on the program than that.

Whiskeyjack
07-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Now we're talking about sitting a freshman All-America because we've got a fifth-year senior who's a better option...

Minor correction, but Wood is a rising senior with two years of eligibility left. Which is nice, because there's no telling if Luke will be ready to start next year.

Emcee77
07-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Wasnt he injured? Minor shoulder injury or something?

Yes, exactly.

Really?? I can't understand that. When we're talking about Lo Wood we are talking about a guy coming off an injury who, while a senior, doesn't have many game reps at CB under his belt. If he can take the starting job away from a returning player who started all last year, I'd consider that a big surprise -- not saying it's impossible, but a big surprise.

On the other hand, at safety, there is no returning starter. There is a just void left by Zeke Motta. We know the staff regards Collinsworth highly, but, like Lo Wood at CB, he is coming off an injury and doesn't have a lot of game reps at safety under his belt. Baratti, for his part, did get some game reps last season and by all accounts practiced well and impressed the staff. I still think Collinsworth could be the more advanced player, but why shouldn't Baratti win the job? He's had a year practicing at safety and has outstanding athleticism.

As I typed all that I realized that you may be thinking in terms of seniority. Wood is more experienced than Russell, in terms of time in the program, as is Collinsworth as compared with Baratti. I get that; I retract the "I can't understand that" that I started this post with. Not sure if I agree though. I guess I don't know what is more important: game experience or time in the program. I lean toward the former.

Whiskeyjack
07-16-2013, 02:55 PM
I guess I don't know what is more important: game experience or time in the program. I lean toward the former.

Agreed. Seems like guys who don't see much of the field for the first 3-4 years of their career have a very poor chance of ever becoming a starter.

Domina Nostra
07-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Baratti, for his part, did get some game reps last season and by all accounts practiced well and impressed the staff.

And remember that Barratti's role in high school was basically "do everything." Now that he is focused on the nuances of that position, he could really blossom.

At some point in the future, opposing WR's are possibly going to have to deal with Russell, Luke, Shumate (nickel), Barratti, Redfield, and Jaylon Smith all on the field at the same time during 3rd downs. Ouch.

ScooterIrish
07-16-2013, 04:22 PM
So people think Barratti beats out Shumate?? Interesting...

STLDomer
07-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Mentally Baratti knows the safety position better than Shumate.

If Redfield can pick it up quickly he stands just as good a shot as any IMO.

Emcee77
07-16-2013, 05:18 PM
So people think Barratti beats out Shumate?? Interesting...

Since you asked ... No. I do expect Shumate to win the job. But thats mostly just a gut feeling based on the way Diaco raved about his athletic ability. My above post was just in response to the suggestion that it would be a surprise if Baratti beat out Collinsworth ... I think all three of Baratti, Collinsworth and Shumate have equal chances to win the job. It will be fun to watch this fall.

Rack Em
08-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Ready for another quick square in the nuts?

Pete Sampson confirmed a rumor that Wood is deciding this week "whether or not he stays with Notre Dame this season".

koonja
08-21-2013, 10:47 AM

Pete Sampson confirmed a rumor that Wood is deciding this week "whether or not he stays with Notre Dame this season".

Well if he's getting passed by two freshman, I say see you later. If you're afraid to compete, adios.

tko
08-21-2013, 10:47 AM

Kid wants to go somewhere to play. He won't play at ND with the kids in front of him. Anyone hearing same regarding Josh Atkinson? I heard the two of them mentioned this morning.

Rack Em
08-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Kid wants to go somewhere to play. He won't play at ND with the kids in front of him. Anyone hearing same regarding Josh Atkinson? I heard the two of them mentioned this morning.

I updated Atkinson's thread.

Wood has also graduated, so he's free to play somewhere else right away.

fitz_bu47
08-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Seriously, I like Lo, and want him to stay...but this is getting ridiculous. It's not a Notre Dame thing or problem, it's a generational problem. No one wants to stay and compete if they get beat out, it's not on them, it's not the "right place". I hope Lo realizes he can compete, and be part of a great team, and get a great education, and decides to stay.

NDBoiler
08-21-2013, 10:51 AM

If that is true, that could be interesting, as I wonder how that would affect GA3. Granted, he is on a totally different level as far as expected playing time though.

For Lo, I can't blame him in his situation. He seems to be going to the wrong way on the depth chart since camp started.

fitz_bu47
Lo already has his degree?!? That changes my tune a bit, if he is getting passed by younger guys, and had a degree then maybe he can play somewhere else.

koonja
I'd be shocked if Lo transferred. He's one injury away from basically being a starter. He's going to play a lot.

Rizzophil
08-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Side note - Lo has a great family and support structure. A truly great family. We want nothing but the best for him

Anchorman
Well if he's getting passed by two freshman, I say see you later. If you're afraid to compete, adios.

Seriously, I like Lo, and want him to stay...but this is getting ridiculous. It's not a Notre Dame thing or problem, it's a generational problem. No one wants to stay and compete if they get beat out, it's not on them, it's not the "right place". I hope Lo realizes he can compete, and be part of a great team, and get a great education, and decides to stay.

I always love reading posts from people who don't know the players or their situation complaining about how they're 'afraid to compete'. What a joke.

irishff1014

The only concern i have here is what will his brother do?

fitz_bu47
08-21-2013, 11:06 AM
You're right Anchorman, I spoke out of turn b/c I don't know Lo. It was just a quick reaction based on how prevalent these transfers are these days. I don't know Lo, or his situation, I just would hate to see him leave. I played in College and I know it's a big time commitment (even at the lower levels) to make, especially if you don't think you are not going to get to play much.

Rough night w/ my kiddo/Elijah Hood/transfers in general all equal for grumpy Fitz....My bad.

NDdomer2
08-21-2013, 11:06 AM
I always love reading posts from people who don't know the players or their situation complaining about how they're 'afraid to compete'. What a joke.

so why else would he be transfering after completeing almost all of his rehab and going through camp?

I understand your point but this one seems pretty obvious. Reports come out that Cole has beat him out for #3. Then reports that Butler may be #4. Then reports of Lo deciding if he wants to stay or go. Sounds like PT is at the heart of this one man.

If he didn't have his degree I would say Lo is too deep into his education at ND to leave it behind. Since he does have his degree I say be my guest. He wasn't a Kelly recruit, has had almost 0 real playing time, no where near home. He has the "excuses" just like most of these kids do.

koonja
08-21-2013, 11:08 AM
so why else would he be transfering after completeing almost all of his rehab and going through camp?

I understand your point but this one seems pretty obvious. Reports come out that Cole has beat him out for #3. Then reports that Butler may be #4. Then reports of Lo deciding if he wants to stay or go. Sounds like PT is at the heart of this one man.

If he didn't have his degree I would say Lo is too deep into his education at ND to leave it behind. Since he does have his degree I say be my guest. He wasn't a Kelly recruit, has had almost 0 real playing time, no where no home.

This would happen after this season, correct? If he wants to transfer, it would make no sense to transfer now and try to join a team for this year. He'd never make the depth chart with it being so close to the season.

My question is, it's inevitable he plays for ND at least this year, right?

Emcee77
08-21-2013, 11:12 AM

Whaaaaat. Crazy.

NDdomer2
08-21-2013, 11:13 AM
This would happen after this season, correct? If he wants to transfer, it would make no sense to transfer now and try to join a team for this year. He'd never make the depth chart with it being so close to the season.

My question is, it's inevitable he plays for ND at least this year, right?

I am not positive but I think if he left immediately and somehow got enrolled at another university this year could count as his transfer year and be eligible to play next season.

koonja
08-21-2013, 11:15 AM
I am not positive but I think if he left immediately and somehow got enrolled at another university this year could count as his transfer year and be eligible to play next season.

But he's graduated, so he doesn't require a transfer year (aka, he doesn't have to sit out at all).

But it'd make no sense to go to another school right now, right? There's no way it'd be completed by Sept 1, and by then, what's the point.

CHIDomer9
08-21-2013, 11:16 AM

This is a message board. Maybe 1% of the people who post here know maybe 1% of the guys who have ever played at Notre Dame. No one here needs to know a player personally to post an opinion.

ND NYC
08-21-2013, 11:16 AM
"say it aint so, Lo"

NDdomer2
08-21-2013, 11:17 AM
But he's graduated, so he doesn't require a transfer year (aka, he doesn't have to sit out at all).

But it'd make no sense to go to another school right now, right? There's no way it'd be completed by Sept 1, and by then, what's the point.

I thought the no sit out rule only applied to 5th year guys. If you somehow graduated in 2 years you could transfer immediately and play 2 somewhere else?

And I agree that the timing is almost impossible unless he had already filled out application forms.

koonja
08-21-2013, 11:19 AM
I thought the no sit out rule only applied to 5th year guys. If you somehow graduated in 2 years you could transfer immediately and play 2 somewhere else?

And I agree that the timing is almost impossible unless he had already filled out application forms.

I'm pretty sure once you graduate, you can go anywhere for 'grad school' right away. Doesn't have to be 5th year guys only. I could be wrong.

Emcee77
08-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Lo hasn't graduated yet, has he? The fall semester will be the first semester of his senior year. I don't think he graduates for at least another semester. Is Sampson saying he has already graduated? In three years? That's not impossible but I'd be surprised.

So the smart move for him would be to see how this year goes and, if it goes poorly, transfer elsewhere for his 5th year. Won't have to sit the one-year penalty.

Buster Bluth
08-21-2013, 11:25 AM

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr04/2012/11/1/17/anigif_enhanced-buzz-27639-1351805737-0.gif

This has been going on since the creation of the depth chart.

fitz_bu47
08-21-2013, 11:26 AM
I hear ya Buster, it has been to an extent. I just think it's way more prevalent now. That could just be the internet and our access to the information though.

Buster Bluth
08-21-2013, 11:33 AM
I hear ya Buster, it has been to an extent. I just think it's way more prevalent now. That could just be the internet and our access to the information though.

I'm going with this one.

mgriff
08-21-2013, 11:40 AM
And this is why you have oversigning and all of the accompanying problems. You have to maintain the depth of the team. This is where integrity bites us in the ***, because after we develop these players, they leave and we can't just plug a JUCO transfer in, we have to start from scratch with a freshman. We add so many issues to our own plate with our integrity, and it's not something I'm against, but **** me it gets frustrating.

Cackalacky
08-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Just go to Kansas and get this shits off-season over with. FFS!

Irishnuke
08-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Meh. Don't care.

Grahambo
08-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Kid has 1 pick-6 and like 10 career tackles with a major knee injury. Reports saying he is getting passed by 2 freshman plus still have a guy like Jalen Brown to provide emergency depth, I'll take my chances.

Good luck to you kid.

Emcee77
08-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Kid has 1 pick-6 and like 10 career tackles with a major knee injury. Reports saying he is getting passed by 2 freshman plus still have a guy like Jalen Brown to provide emergency depth, I'll take my chances.

Good luck to you kid.

It was an Achilles, but still ... your point remains.

GoIrish41
08-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Man, at this rate we can take an SEC-sized class this year.

SoIll
08-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Man, at this rate we can take an SEC-sized class this year.

Then we better get on that...

dwshade
08-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Keepin mind Lo wasn't recruited by this staff and is smaller than what they typically want at CB. Hence Luke and Butler will get more reps than Wood going forward since they represent the future.

Buster Bluth
08-21-2013, 01:11 PM
And this is why you have oversigning and all of the accompanying problems. You have to maintain the depth of the team. This is where integrity bites us in the ***, because after we develop these players, they leave and we can't just plug a JUCO transfer in, we have to start from scratch with a freshman. We add so many issues to our own plate with our integrity, and it's not something I'm against, but **** me it gets frustrating.

Umm what? This is a product of there being too much depth for Lo Wood to handle, and in increase in the athleticism Kelly and Co are bringing in. Lo Wood is a Weis recruit getting beaten by Kelly recruits. Smile, don't fret.

Lo Wood can ball, but if there is too much depth and he has graduated, it's a no brainer to play elsewhere. If he hasn't graduated, it's dumb as hell on his part.

Irishman77
08-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Roster is shaking out...we are progressing....14 class will be a&m ish

Cackalacky
08-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Umm what? This is a product of there being too much depth for Lo Wood to handle, and in increase in the athleticism Kelly and Co are bringing in. Lo Wood is a Weis recruit getting beaten by Kelly recruits. Smile, don't fret.

Lo Wood can ball, but if there is too much depth and he has graduated, it's a no brainer to play elsewhere. If he hasn't graduated, it's dumb as hell on his part.

I like this opinion.

mgriff
08-21-2013, 01:53 PM

It can be a problem if the young kids don't step up. If the staff deem they are ready, fine, but I still think my point that we can't plug and play a kid remains. If the staff are wrong then we have issues. I'm not worried about Lo Wood leaving, just the systemic consequences we face in comparison to other programs.

Whiskeyjack
08-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Roster is shaking out...we are progressing....14 class will be a&m ish

Amish? Look out for Yoder Dame!

For our class to be like TAMU's, there'd have to be a lot of oversigning and cash changing hands. Wouldn't count on that.

But it should be a large class. Good thing there are lots of elite ILBs with interest in us this cycle!

Irish YJ
08-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Best wishes to him. If he has his degree, will not see PT, and wants to go be a starter for 1 year, more power to him. If he truly accomplished his 40 year plan (graduating), why not. He deserves to go have fun, get some PT, and live the dream a bit before he tackles the 40 years....

aubeirish
08-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Feels like I am missing something here. Did he actually say he was transferring or people are just assuming again?

Emcee77
08-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Feels like I am missing something here. Did he actually said he was transferring or people are just assuming again?

Sampson of II apparently said that Lo was considering leaving, per RackEm.

greyhammer90
08-21-2013, 04:00 PM
It's these kids! They just don't have the heart, balls, stomach, chest, for this level of competition! IT'S THE KIDS! IT'S THEIR GENERATION! I BLAME THE INTERNET, FAST FOOD, AND VIDEO GAMES! THEY ARE NEW AND ARE THEREFORE RESPONSIBLE FOR A PHENOMENON THAT HAS EXISTED SINCE THE BEGINNING OF COMPETITION!

Is this the change that was promised to us?!?!

Thanks alot Obama...

dshans
08-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Is this the change that was promised to us?!?!

Thanks alot Obama...

At least you were kind enough to leave me and my fellow baby boomers out of your mix ...

ThePiombino
08-21-2013, 04:25 PM
This is annoying, but more like mosquito annoying. Hurts depth this year, but overall not really sweating it. Hope he sticks for depth reasons, but if he thinks he's better off elsewhere, then it's just too bad it took him 4 years to realize it.

Whiskeyjack
08-21-2013, 04:54 PM
From II (http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1539287):

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/72558444" width="500" height="281" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Lo Wood elevated at the goal line, breaking up a Tommy Rees pass ticketed for Chris Brown in the end zone.

It was the kind of competitive play Wood didn't make enough during his first two years at Notre Dame, which buried the former early enrollee on the depth chart behind older talent. But during Saturday's practice Wood delivered, a capable cornerback almost a year removed from a ruptured Achilles tendon that knocked him out of the starting lineup and helped KeiVarae Russell stage a historic freshman season.

Unfortunately for Wood, that play probably won't affect his depth chart standing.

Brian Kelly closed the door on any competition with Russell for the starting job opposite Bennett Jackson last week. And based on the weekend, Wood isn't in line for a nickel or dime job either. That work went to Cole Luke and Austin Collinsworth respectively.

That means Wood's path to playing time may start and stop with special teams. For a player who's already graduated from Notre Dame, which could pave the way for a transfer without penalty of sitting out a season, that's not how he imagined his comeback.

"Whatever happens, happens," Wood said. "It's not my decision, all I can do is keep playing.

"It's still hard. You've still got to always worry about your spot because you never know what can happen. If you just go out there and practice hard every day and have a good practice, that's the only thing you can do."

It's expected that Notre Dame will set depth charts later this week as training camp becomes less about internal competition and more about preparing for Temple. If Wood's position doesn't change, it could prompt him to look for opportunities elsewhere now that he's behind Russell and Luke, at least in the nickel.

Wood said he's still not 100 percent healthy in terms of strength after his season-ending injury, even if he's practicing full go. The coaching staff was careful with Wood during spring practice, not playing him during the Blue-Gold Game as tightness persisted in his left foot.

"As for not worrying about it tearing again, yes I felt that (I'm over that)," Wood said. "As for it being 100 percent stronger, not so much. It's way stronger than it was in the beginning of camp. It's still not as strong as my right leg of course.

"Each day I see myself stepping more and more toward that, like I used to be.
Just the power in my step, just getting all of my speed back and everything."

Wood said he hadn't talked to the coaching staff about his role as of last weekend, although it's expected that may occur this week. Until then all Wood can do is try to replicate the form that let him break up that Rees pass last weekend. Whether or not that boosts his playing time, Wood doesn't know.

"I'm still pushing," Wood said. "I've still got to do my job on the field and become a better corner, because if I become better that means the guys ahead of me, that means they'll become better too.

"To me, it's still a grind for me to go out there every day and just get better, that's what I'm working towards right now, just getting better every day."

NDdomer2
08-21-2013, 06:12 PM
I can respect a guy that keeps busting his *** in practice!

fitz_bu47
08-21-2013, 06:43 PM
From II (http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1539287):

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/72558444" width="500" height="281" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

That's the type of interview I like to hear.

Emcee77
08-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Lo hasn't graduated yet, has he? The fall semester will be the first semester of his senior year. I don't think he graduates for at least another semester. Is Sampson saying he has already graduated? In three years? That's not impossible but I'd be surprised.

So the smart move for him would be to see how this year goes and, if it goes poorly, transfer elsewhere for his 5th year. Won't have to sit the one-year penalty.

I stand corrected on the bolded. Apparently Lo has graduated ... Dan Murphy of BGI has also reported that Lo has graduated and his situation is up in the air. He specifically corrected another BGI reporter on it. If he has that kind of confidence, it must be true.

stlnd01
08-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Graduated or no, it still seems like it'd be hard to transfer someplace and play right away. Season starts in ten days.

LaJollaIrish
08-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Wood is going to have a major role to play this season. He's a twisted ankle away from starting and he's part of a team gunning for Pasadena, but more importantly, he's part of a team, this team. Just sit tight, grind, contribute and win...maybe pull an MBA while you're at it. When you have the physical skills he has, you leverage them. You recognize them for the tools that they are to get you to the next stage in life.

Buster Bluth
08-22-2013, 01:18 AM
Wood is going to have a major role to play this season. He's a twisted ankle away from starting and he's part of a team gunning for Pasadena, but more importantly, he's part of a team, this team. Just sit tight, grind, contribute and win...maybe pull an MBA while you're at it. When you have the physical skills he has, you leverage them. You recognize them for the tools that they are to get you to the next stage in life.

Please God yes.

nd1989
08-22-2013, 08:04 AM

Isn't the rumor he's not only behind luke, but also butler? He might be two ankles away from playing nickel....

dublinirish
08-22-2013, 08:06 AM
i dont Wood would make a good nickel corner tbh. I would presume he is only in competition at field corner right?

woolybug25
08-22-2013, 10:07 AM
i dont Wood would make a good nickel corner tbh. I would presume he is only in competition at field corner right?

That's what I want to know, where is he on the depth chart for field corner. Is he one of the next men in after KRuss/Bennett? If so, he will play a lot this year. Not to mention the amount of special teams duties. If he is as advertised, he will get an opportunity to shine.

Now... if he is behind Luke/Butler at field corner too. Then all bets are off.

dublinirish
08-22-2013, 10:08 AM
That's what I want to know, where is he on the depth chart for field corner. Is he one of the next men in after KRuss/Bennett? If so, he will play a lot this year. Not to mention the amount of special teams duties. If he is as advertised, he will get an opportunity to shine.

Now... if he is behind Luke/Butler at field corner too. Then all bets are off.

depth chart is due today though at media day right? Anybody can confirm/deny this?

GoldenIsThyFame
08-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Don't see the guy just packing up and leaving now, I mean we are 9 days away from the first game. just sounds crazy even thinking about it. He is still posting stuff like this....

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/23/6abupyte.jpg

ThePiombino
08-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Don't see the guy just packing up and leaving now, I mean we are 9 days away from the first game. just sounds crazy even thinking about it. He is still posting stuff like this....

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/23/6abupyte.jpg

Valid point. This would be more likely after spring ball I think. Or at least wiser...

irishpat183
08-22-2013, 05:57 PM
He needs to keep in mind that he's one injury away from being a starter...And you never know if the guy in front of you is going to play well enough to keep his spot.

Keep working hard, and the opportunity will open up

clashmore_mike
08-22-2013, 06:34 PM
He needs to keep in mind that he's one injury away from being a starter...And you never know if the guy in front of you is going to play well enough to keep his spot.

You should tell him as I'm sure he doesn't realize that.

stlnd01
08-22-2013, 09:39 PM

Or it won't. But either way there's honor in trying.

Emcee77
08-24-2013, 12:48 PM
I stand corrected on the bolded. Apparently Lo has graduated ... Dan Murphy of BGI has also reported that Lo has graduated and his situation is up in the air. He specifically corrected another BGI reporter on it. If he has that kind of confidence, it must be true.

So, I've just noticed that a poster on BGI posted that Pete Sampson has now reported that a ND source has told him that Lo Wood has not in fact graduated, although his family believes he has ...

... so it kind of sounds like nobody really knows anything about this.

RuntheBall
08-24-2013, 12:54 PM
How do you not know if you graduated? Maybe he doesn't know if he can graduate (has taken al of the required classes or something)?

IrishLax
08-24-2013, 12:57 PM
So, I've just noticed that a poster on BGI posted that Pete Sampson has now reported that a ND source has told him that Lo Wood has not in fact graduated, although his family believes he has ...

... so it kind of sounds like nobody really knows anything about this.

How do you not know if you graduated? Maybe he doesn't know if he can graduate (has taken al of the required classes or something)?

Pretty sure you have to do a degree audit to figure it out... he was probably waiting to walk with the rest of his class, and believed he already had all the credits done.

stlnd01
08-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Was he an EE? If not, he must have hustled through some serious classwork to graduate in three years flat, even to be close enough to think you have.

Rack Em
11-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Lo's dad just started a thread on II titled "No One is Playing for Kelly"

"A Man's (sic) Word is his Bond. When you make a Promise to a player and then LIE, that player will (sic) lose trust."

He followed up saying that part 2 was coming and he'll tell it all. I'm really interested to hear if it's a disgruntled parent or a real story.

FightingIrishLover7
11-11-2013, 04:14 PM
I'm interested.

koonja
11-11-2013, 04:14 PM
I mean, how pissed would you be if your son was a DB for ND and sat the bench in favor of guys like Farley and Jackson? Lol.

Ironman8
11-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Pete Sampson just said that post not made by Lo Wood or his father.

ozzman
11-11-2013, 04:21 PM
I miss the days before social media when we could be completely ignorant to all of behind the scenes BS. Sure would have made the times since the NCG so much more tolerable...

Rhode Irish
11-11-2013, 04:21 PM
How shocked would anyone be if there were problems in that locker room, based on the totality of what you know? On one hand, it wouldn't totally shock me because it would be a realistic explanation for some of the roster attrition and I can honestly see how BK could be a guy whose style and message wear thin over time. On the other hand, this is coming from a parent whose kid is buried on a depth chart that is not exactly busting with elite talent.

Edit: ok, so supposedly that was not actually Lo's father that posted. That changes things a little, I guess, in that I probably wouldn't have been prompted to make this post if I'd known that, but doesn't change the underlying point.

NDohio
11-11-2013, 04:24 PM
I miss the days before social media when we could be completely ignorant to all of behind the scenes BS. Sure would have made the times since the NCG so much more tolerable...

I'm with ya. Any disgruntled fan can make a fake Twitter account and tweet anything they want. Then the firestorm starts and suddenly the media are chasing a ghost.

Rack Em
11-11-2013, 04:26 PM

Interesting. I logged off II shortly after posting that. Some of the posters claimed that Lo's dad had an account on there during his recruitment, but looking back that wouldn't make sense since the account had only been active for 12 months.

Hmm.

ThePiombino
11-11-2013, 04:27 PM

And yet I'm still in interested in part II lol

GoldenIsThyFame
11-11-2013, 04:27 PM
But is it DD's dad...

dshans
11-11-2013, 05:13 PM
This grammar hammer is interested in just who is responsible for the comment as posted. Aside from the unnecessary capitalizations, which could be taken as harmless emphasis, there are no errors that would warrant "(sic)."

Pops Freshenmeyer
11-11-2013, 05:16 PM
This grammar hammer is interested in just who is responsible for the comment as posted. Aside from the unnecessary capitalizations, which could be taken as harmless emphasis, there are no errors that would warrant "(sic)."

I think someone edited the post and erroneously fixed the errors and labeled the fixes with "(sic)." Obviously they were unaware that "sic erat scriptum" roughly translates to, "thus it was written."

dshans
11-11-2013, 05:41 PM
I think someone edited the post and erroneously fixed the errors and labeled the fixes with "(sic)." Obviously they were unaware that "sic erat scriptum" roughly translates to, "thus it was written."

That was my assumption, but I have a reputation to uphold as a tight-***, hard-*** taskmaster.

Rack Em
11-11-2013, 06:04 PM

That's because I corrected them so you wouldn't spontaneously combust.

dshans
11-11-2013, 06:25 PM
That's because I corrected them so you wouldn't spontaneously combust.

And I thank you for your consideration, kind sir.

Though my desk is equipped with a fire extinguisher/keg just in case ...

Rack Em
11-11-2013, 07:01 PM
And I thank you for your consideration, kind sir.

Though my desk is equipped with a fire extinguisher/keg just in case ...

You're welcome, Grammar Hammer.

Kak7304
11-11-2013, 07:13 PM

He followed up saying that part 2 was coming and he'll tell it all. I'm really interested to hear if it's a disgruntled parent or a real story.

If it is Lo's dad, I'd go with disgruntled parent. I was standing next to his parents outside the stadium after a game earlier in the season and all they did was complain about his lack of PT. If the parent of a player who has been passed on the depth chart is complaining, I'd take what they say with a grain of salt.

Rack Em
11-11-2013, 07:18 PM
If it is Lo's dad, I'd go with disgruntled parent. I was standing next to his parents outside the stadium after a game earlier in the season and all they did was complain about his lack of PT. If the parent of a player who has been passed on the depth chart is complaining, I'd take what they say with a grain of salt.

It's not him or his dad, per Pete Sampson.

Bluto
11-11-2013, 07:19 PM
He gone, he back, he gone again...he gone and back again?

Kak7304
11-11-2013, 07:26 PM
We should start posting on USC and UM boards as "parents."

IrishSteelhead
11-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Dug this up:

"Let's look at this point. 4 linebackers rotated, with 2 being 5th year players and 2 who never played before the 3rd quarter until this Year. How about playing 4 Safeties within one drive , who is the leader, captain or even yet who can remember the defensive plays. Here is the best one. 2 corners who never played cornerback until last year and was in a cover 2 with Safeties over top and then you bring in 2 freshmens in Dime Package but you leave the only true Corner under Coach Cook guidance for 4 years and he sits the Bench. KARMA IS In Place.

I will cheer him on for sure. Let's remember he was not Kelly recruit and could have left but he stayed because of the one and only Degree from ND. Tommy could have went to NW , trust me I know. Kelly set him up for failure especially when you rotate 12 guys in 4 plays. Confusing as HELL. NO TRUST"

Rack Em
11-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Dug this up:

"Let's look at this point. 4 linebackers rotated, with 2 being 5th year players and 2 who never played before the 3rd quarter until this Year. How about playing 4 Safeties within one drive , who is the leader, captain or even yet who can remember the defensive plays. Here is the best one. 2 corners who never played cornerback until last year and was in a cover 2 with Safeties over top and then you bring in 2 freshmens in Dime Package but you leave the only true Corner under Coach Cook guidance for 4 years and he sits the Bench. KARMA IS In Place.

I will cheer him on for sure. Let's remember he was not Kelly recruit and could have left but he stayed because of the one and only Degree from ND. Tommy could have went to NW , trust me I know. Kelly set him up for failure especially when you rotate 12 guys in 4 plays. Confusing as HELL. NO TRUST"

If that was Part 2, it was disappointing.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
11-11-2013, 08:22 PM

What exactly did part 1 say and when is part 2 coming out?

Rack Em
11-11-2013, 08:28 PM

Basically he said that no one trusts Kelly and the players aren't playing for him.

What exactly did part 1 say and when is part 2 coming out?

A time for Part 2 wasn't announced formally. But it's not his dad, so it's moot.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
11-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Basically he said that no one trusts Kelly and the players aren't playing for him.

A time for Part 2 wasn't announced formally. But it's not his dad, so it's moot.

Thanks Rack em.

WakeUpEchoes
12-02-2013, 03:47 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Irish Illustrated has learned that Lo Wood and Alex Welch intend to transfer from Notre Dame and have informed the Irish program.</p>&mdash; Irish Illustrated (@NDatRivals) <a href="https://twitter.com/NDatRivals/statuses/407611670702206976">December 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ResLife Hero
12-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Always a bit sad to see guys go, but there's been smoke around this for awhile, and he probably wasn't going to see the field much. Welch is a tougher story since he had so many injuries, but he always seemed close to ready. Does this add to our estimate for number of available scholarships this cycle?

NDBoiler
12-02-2013, 03:51 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Irish Illustrated has learned that Lo Wood and Alex Welch intend to transfer from Notre Dame and have informed the Irish program.</p>&mdash; Irish Illustrated (@NDatRivals) <a href="https://twitter.com/NDatRivals/statuses/407611670702206976">December 2, 2013</a></blockquote>

Hate to see guys go that aren't doing it for the wrong reasons and wish them all the best. On the other hand, this may be a little addition by subtraction with adding more talented players in their spots. Also thankful that they were respectful/thoughtful enough to do this now as opposed to say, the spring after NSD.

CanadalovesND
12-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Always a bit sad to see guys go, but there's been smoke around this for awhile, and he probably wasn't going to see the field much. Welch is a tougher story since he had so many injuries, but he always seemed close to ready. Does this add to our estimate for number of available scholarships this cycle?

Not really. They were not expected back as 5th year seniors.

FLDomer
12-02-2013, 03:57 PM

No but they were counted in the total 85 so I would think this effects the takes this cycle...

ResLife Hero
12-02-2013, 03:58 PM

That's kind of what I thought. Best of luck to them both, and hopefully they're leaving with that sheepskin.

Kaneyoufeelit
12-02-2013, 03:59 PM

Dan Murphy had been including them in the scholarship count and I have been going off of his number, as I think others have. This changes the number that I've been using, which had been 24.

NDohio
12-02-2013, 04:00 PM
No but they were counted in the total 85 so I would think this effects the takes this cycle...

They wouldn't have counted for next years 85.

This does not effect the number of recruits we can take one bit.

OlympiaIrishFan
12-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Sorry to hear this. But, was holding my breathe on the transfer season. We seem to have way more transfer than most schools. I am scared we lose more high 4 or 5 stars than most too.

Another low number class would be trouble, we need to have a full class. I just can't imagine there will not be more transfers.

Go Irish

BMT
12-02-2013, 04:01 PM
We are always estimating LOW for scholarships available, people always flunking out, transfer, or flip at last minute, it happens everywhere, just a fact. Best of luck to both players but neither were going to play with the new recruits and freshman at there positions

NDohio
12-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Dan Murphy had been including them in the scholarship count and I have been going off of his number, as I think others have. This changes the number that I've been using, which had been 24.

Really? Why? I don't think anyone expected them to come back next year.

FLDomer
12-02-2013, 04:03 PM
edited: I thought they were Juniors for some reason... my bad

IrishLax
12-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Neither one was expected back for a 5th year. Does not change the numbers at all for anyone who put together an intelligent count.

Irishman77
12-02-2013, 04:04 PM

My speculation is this is just the beginning.

Whiskeyjack
12-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Freshman + Sophomores + Juniors = 58 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmLGzmpC86GYdERPcG1UN0FiRVROUkNwOXd3MGszb 2c&hl=en_US#gid=0)

85 - 58 = 27 spots for 5Ys and 2014 signees

We've accepted 20 verbal commitments thus far, and I expect we'll bring back 3 5Ys, which means we have 4-5 spots left (depending on what happens with McKenzie). Could end up taking more if there are transfers/ medicals.

NDohio
12-02-2013, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=FLDomer;1173641]

CanadalovesND
12-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Freshman + Sophomores + Juniors = 58 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmLGzmpC86GYdERPcG1UN0FiRVROUkNwOXd3MGszb 2c&hl=en_US#gid=0)

85 - 58 = 27 spots for 5Ys and 2014 signees

We've accepted 20 verbal commitments thus far, and I expect we'll bring back 3 5Ys, which means we have 4-5 spots left (depending on what happens with McKenzie). Could end up taking more if there are transfers/ medicals.

Will Golson be back on scholarship or will the staff not offer him one right away?

FLDomer
12-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Neither one was expected back for a 5th year. Does not change the numbers at all for anyone who put together an intelligent count.

For a mod you are testy....don't ban me ;)

Whiskeyjack
12-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Will Golson be back on scholarship or will the staff not offer him one right away?

He'll be back on scholarship right away. Most of these calculations assume Tuitt will leave early and Golson will come back, which ends up being a wash. If Tuitt doesn't leave, we'll have one less spot; if Golson can't return for some reason, we'll have one more spot.

Rizzophil
12-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Lo comes from a great family. His dad, Lo sr, is a stand up guy. A personal trainer. Nothing but the best for him and the family. A true Domer. They typify what ND is all about

Emcee77
12-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Lo comes from a great family. His dad, Lo sr, is a stand up guy. A personal trainer. Nothing but the best for him and the family. A true Domer. They typify what ND is all about

Yeah, and it sounds like there is no animosity. Lo Wood's dad told BGI that Lo just wanted to go somewhere where he could play and that Coach Kelly was a "stand-up guy" about the situation.

Sherm Sticky
12-02-2013, 08:10 PM
This is kind of expected. Alex wasn't going to get a 5th year.

Wish Lo would be back for depth purposes. but, I understand that he wants to be a starter.

dublinirish
12-03-2013, 03:25 AM
rumoured that Georgia Tech is where he will end up

Buster Bluth
12-03-2013, 04:00 AM
Will he be eligible for a sixth year too? Georgia Tech is on the 2015 schedule (and, in my opinion, the favorite to be the opponent in the Shamrock Series).

CanadalovesND
12-03-2013, 04:26 AM
Will he be eligible for a sixth year too? Georgia Tech is on the 2015 schedule (and, in my opinion, the favorite to be the opponent in the Shamrock Series).

No.

To be eligible for a sixth year you had to have missed one season due to a regular redshirt as well as one to a medical redshirt....

I think that's the case, but not entirely sure

Buster Bluth
12-03-2013, 05:03 AM
I think that's the case, but not entirely sure

I thought he had redshirted. I guess not.

Welch redshirted in 2010, played in 2011, and was hurt in 2012. I think he'd be eligible then?

CanadalovesND
12-03-2013, 05:20 AM
I thought he had redshirted. I guess not.

Welch redshirted in 2010, played in 2011, and was hurt in 2012. I think he'd be eligible then?

Ah, a little digging and I found the rule.

Sixth year of eligibility is granted in a situation where a player has missed two seasons due to an injury.

Case Keenum Houston QB is a prime example. He redshirted in 2006 due to an injury, then went onto start in 2007, 2008, and 2009. During his fifth year, he tore his ACL in the third game of the season, which luckily coincides with the 30% rule. So, he was granted a sixth year.

Welch has only one year of eligibility remaining after he's done this season. Unless, he is to suffer a season ending injury at his new school in pre-season or before 30% of his teams 2014-15 schedule is completed.

Interesting note, Chase Hounshell would be eligible for a sixth year seeing as he's missed the last two consecutive seasons due to an shoulder injury.

PANDFAN
12-03-2013, 10:09 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Notre Dame CB Lo Woods to transfer, be eligible in '14. UCF &quot;will definitely be one of the top schools,&quot; his dad says <a href="http://t.co/oIwPdMHEkY">http://t.co/oIwPdMHEkY</a></p>&mdash; Paul Tenorio (@osknights) <a href="https://twitter.com/osknights/statuses/407867808484036609">December 3, 2013</a></blockquote>

dublinirish
12-03-2013, 10:16 AM
if he picks UCF he will get a 2nd chance to play in Ireland in the fall :)

aubeirish
12-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Good luck to Lo. Got his degree. Hopefully, he will be successful wherever he ends up.

GoldenIsThyFame
01-16-2014, 11:14 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Add 1 more <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NotreDame&amp;src=hash">#NotreDame</a> face to Miami (Ohio), as Lo Wood will play his 5th year with the RedHawks, his dad tells <a href="https://twitter.com/espn">@espn</a> <a href="http://t.co/te7UaQstgQ">http://t.co/te7UaQstgQ</a></p>&mdash; Matt Fortuna (@Matt_Fortuna) <a href="https://twitter.com/Matt_Fortuna/statuses/423849356303679488">January 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

anarin
01-16-2014, 04:45 PM
I may just tune into some of their games this year.

Sherm Sticky
01-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Best of luck Lo!

Redbar
01-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Lock it down Lo!

Henges24
10-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Any word on how he is doing at Miami (OH)?

military_irish
10-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Any word on how he is doing at Miami (OH)?

Played in all 5 games recorded 17 tackles. 8 solo, 9 assisted