PDA

View Full Version : '10 FL CB Spencer Boyd (Transfer to USF)

SoCalDomer
03-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Cornerback
Cape Coral, FL; Cape Coral HS

Height: 5-10
Weight: 178
Forty: 4.56
Vertical: 34
Shuttle: 4.22
GPA: 3.2
Test: 21

Ratings and Rankings
Rivals: :s::s::s:; Cornerbacks (34); Rating 5.7
Scout: :s::s::s:; Cornerbacks (49)
ESPN: :s::s::s:; Athlete(30); Grade 78

Statistics
Junior: 30 Tackles; 1 Interception

Offers
Notre Dame (OV 7/16)
Michigan (OV 12/4 cancelled)
Georgia
Miami
Duke
Mississippi
North Carolina
Stanford
Vanderbilt
UCF
USF

Links of Interest
Combine Highlights (http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/Army-combine-WR-vs-DB-Part-4-43445;_ylt=AuHOfG8Az85Rc61vBMJR_TGl16x_)

ND Recruiter: Parmelee

Decision: 7/17/09 Notre Dame (soft verbal 12/3)

GOLDENISTHYTATE
03-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Where does the staff see this guy playing?

brownkj002
03-03-2009, 07:54 PM
CB

NDinL.A.
04-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Nice article on him and Caleb in Scout.

Scout.com: Recruiting Week in Review (http://notredame.scout.com/2/852896.html)

He gives CW TONS of props...

NDinL.A.
04-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Spent 4 days on campus and had great things to say about ND and CW. He's very high on ND...

NDinL.A.
05-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Latest on Boyd is that he is still very high on ND, and that he is the leader, slightly ahead of Michigan. Offer list is getting higher as he continues to impress. Gonna make his decision in June (he hopes). He is talking with Lo Wood about ND. Could be recruit #4, or heartbreak # whatever...

NDinL.A.
05-20-2009, 11:40 PM
I guess I'm still talking to myself on this one. Well, this CB is for real. Everyone keeps waiting desperately for a commit, and he could commit by late August, early Sept, and he loves ND.

“I don’t mind leaving home. My family don’t have a problem with me leaving home,” he said. “They’re pretty much leaving it up to me. My mom especially likes Notre Dame because of the education. She realizes that football only lasts so long and that I’d have a good degree to fall back on.”

"They're still my leader. I like everything about Notre Dame,” Boyd said. “I really like the coaches there. Coach Weis is a real good guy. You just feel like you’re surrounded by nice people when you’re there."

He's got offers from some big boys such as Miami and Michigan, including a recent one by Georgia. He's really rising up the charts with his recent performances. We should be excited to be in the lead with this kid...

Boyd Plans to Decide Before Season - (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/index.php?option=com_resource&controller=article&article=428&category_id=7&Itemid=83)

The Polish Irishman
05-20-2009, 11:44 PM
I'll break the chain...I think only a Florida offer would maybe change his mind..Seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

On a side note, If Corwin leaves for a head coaching job this year, how much would this hurt recruiting?

jason_h537
05-21-2009, 01:20 AM
I couldnt find the article, but he said something in the nature of how nice it was to be in a locker room where the players can formulate complete sentences.

BGIF
05-21-2009, 04:37 AM
I'll break the chain...I think only a Florida offer would maybe change his mind..Seems to have a good head on his shoulders. ...

Spencer Boyd is a heavy Notre Dame lean, but a recent Miami offer could put a twist on things.
Farrell Rivals

jason's post about "a locker room where the players can formulate comlete sentences" should put a crimp in Shalala U.

BGIF
05-21-2009, 04:42 AM
... On a side note, If Corwin leaves for a head coaching job this year, how much would this hurt recruiting?

If they're only coming for Corwin a lot. Then again a recruit or a recruit's parent would have to be pretty naive to not be aware that Corwin is on the upwardly mobile career track.

Hmm, maybe ND's A.D. already has Brown's name on the THAT list with Meyer and Gruden? Then there'd be no problem.

jason_h537
05-21-2009, 10:49 PM
If they're only coming for Corwin a lot. Then again a recruit or a recruit's parent would have to be pretty naive to not be aware that Corwin is on the upwardly mobile career track.

Hmm, maybe ND's A.D. already has Brown's name on the THAT list with Meyer and Gruden? Then there'd be no problem.

I'm not gonna lie, i love Coach Brown. I think he would be a great head coach. Hopefully we ont have to fire Wies, but maybe name him coach in waiting like alot of schools are doin now.

jason_h537
06-08-2009, 03:28 PM
the 4HL has Boyd saying he plans to commit at the end of the month and its down to Notre Dame, Michigan, and Georgia. He also plans to be on campus June 26th. Looks like a big day for the Irish who are expecting Boyd, Lo Wood, david Amerson, Kendall Moore, and Jerrell priester

DirtySecret
06-09-2009, 07:43 PM
the 4HL has Boyd saying he plans to commit at the end of the month and its down to Notre Dame, Michigan, and Georgia. He also plans to be on campus June 26th. Looks like a big day for the Irish who are expecting Boyd, Lo Wood, david Amerson, Kendall Moore, and Jerrell priester

Wood can't make the trip but will commit the 26th..

jason_h537
06-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Spencer Boyd will also not be able to make the trip to South Bend the 26th. He also had to cancel his trip to Georgia this weekend.

NDinL.A.
07-06-2009, 03:09 PM
According to ISD, Boyd has a final top 3 of Georgia, Michigan and ND, and he'll be announcing somewhere around July 17th. While not a lock by any means, ND has been a fovrite of his for a long time and is in very good position here. I think it's between ND and Georgia personally, judging from his comments...

IrishInFl
07-06-2009, 03:45 PM
That's a good judgement because Mike told me it is down to ND and Georgia. I'm guessing he's Irish, but Georgia is apparently coming in strong.

BostonND
07-06-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm just glad that Florida isn't involved anymore.

irishfan
07-07-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm not gonna lie, i love Coach Brown. I think he would be a great head coach. Hopefully we ont have to fire Wies, but maybe name him coach in waiting like alot of schools are doin now.

I really hope he stays past this year, and hopefully if we can put together a 10+ win season, and he's here for 2010 where we again put together a 10+ season and Weis has some job security, then maybe Brown would be named coach-in-waiting during that offseason.

Polish Leppy 22
07-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I second that plan

WabashFalcon
07-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Thirded.

NDinL.A.
07-07-2009, 04:31 PM
That's a good judgement because Mike told me it is down to ND and Georgia. I'm guessing he's Irish, but Georgia is apparently coming in strong.

Now I'm reading that he hasn't even visited Georgia, which is a good sign for us (nevermind the fact that Utupo hadn't visited us either!). He has said that he has a great relationship with the Georgia coaches though, so this one's not in the bag at all...

BGIF
07-11-2009, 03:23 AM
7/10 Pete Sampson, IrishIllustrated.com

Notre Dame could be less than 24 hours from its next commitment on defense. Another pledge or two or three could be coming by month’s end. Check out this week’s update to the Master List on defense, where Notre Dame looks to continue its recruiting roll with pledges from Kendall Moore, Spencer Boyd and Bruce Gaston. The Irish are in strong shape with all three.

tannerpw3
07-11-2009, 08:26 AM
That's fascinating. I hadn't heard that before.

WabashFalcon
07-11-2009, 10:58 AM
That's fascinating. I hadn't heard that before.

Okay... tanner... this is the thrid time I've seen you say this... so, please... STFU! K? Thanxbye.

tannerpw3
07-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Lighten up.

littlerick77
07-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Okay... tanner... this is the thrid time I've seen you say this... so, please... STFU! K? Thanxbye.

dude, I see the humor in his post....where's all the IE "love" at......is everyone on edge this off season?

NDinL.A.
07-11-2009, 09:20 PM
dude, I see the humor in his post....where's all the IE "love" at......is everyone on edge this off season?

Hey, littlerick, stay out of this! Know your role, and STFU!!!!!!!!

(Just kidding my man. 909 in the house...)

littlerick77
07-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Hey, littlerick, stay out of this! Know your role, and STFU!!!!!!!!

(Just kidding my man. 909 in the house...)

hells yes......909 represent....LOL

WabashFalcon
07-12-2009, 01:57 AM
To clear things up... my freaking drunk roommate came in this morning and posted in resonse to tanner's comments in an attempt to be funny. He was not. I apologize for everything he did.

OCIrish
07-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Hell, I got a kick out of it!!

phork
07-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Will officially announce on Friday the 17th.

NDinL.A.
07-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Will officially announce on Friday the 17th.

Yup, and the ND mods all think he'll be Irish. This one is almost sewn up...

jason_h537
07-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Feel good but dont underestimate Richt. Hopefully he goes our way then we can get Shaw or Riggs to seal up thecorners for this year.

WabashFalcon
07-14-2009, 08:25 PM
That would be a very nice!

texas fighting irish
07-15-2009, 04:29 AM
I HOPE WE GET THIS KID BOYD. I SAW THAT WE LEAD FOR HIM BUT DONT KNOW HOW TRUE THAT IS. GO IRISH

IrishInFl
07-15-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm just telling you, from what Langston told me, don't be surprised if he is a Bulldog.

WabashFalcon
07-15-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm just telling you, from what Langston told me, don't be surprised if he is a Bulldog.

You fucking hold your tongue! HOLD IT!

JeremyND07
07-15-2009, 12:23 PM
WOW! Another (3) star recruit...I am so excited!

WabashFalcon
07-15-2009, 12:24 PM
WOW! Another (3) star recruit...I am so excited!

Umm... who peed in your cornflakes?

JeremyND07
07-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Umm... who peed in your cornflakes?

6 of the last 7 commits were (3) star recruits...not a good trend no matter how you look at it. We have a lot of work to do to make this a good class and it all starts with the big uglies. It is still early but I am hoping a lot changes with this class!!!

WabashFalcon
07-15-2009, 12:38 PM
6 of the last 7 commits were (3) star recruits...not a good trend no matter how you look at it. We have a lot of work to do to make this a good class and it all starts with the big uglies. It is still early but I am hoping a lot changes with this class!!!

Tell me then... what 5 star cornerback is going to sign with the Irish this year?

NDinL.A.
07-15-2009, 12:54 PM

It's all about patience with this class, more than any other year. CW has to win to keep his job, and all the recruits know it. If we win, we'll get the 5 star guys like Barr and be in major contention for other blue-chippers like Stone, McCay and Prater. It's really that simple. The ONE thing we should all be able to agree on, even the CW haters, is that he and his staff are very good at evaluating and getting talent. Guys like Blanton and Tate were one time 3 stars. Blue chippers like Clausen, Crist, Floyd, and Rudolph were all persuaded to come to ND despite our recent struggles. I really don't see the need to worry about this class, except for the O-line. I'm with you there.

But at the same time, per Scout we're already in 10th position recruiting wise, and that's without the blue-chippers we could get if we win. By all accounts, guys like Hendrix and Moore will move up when the new evals come out. And on Rivals, Moore is a 4 star already. When we had 3 recruits, I was sweating. Now that we're at 12, and we're hitting positions of need THAT THE STAFF FEELS GOOD ABOUT, and other recruits are keeping ND on their lists, I believe their's nothing to worry about (unless we lose of course)...

JeremyND07
07-15-2009, 02:21 PM
patience...I know I know! Is it time for the season to start yet?

NDinL.A.
07-15-2009, 03:50 PM
patience...I know I know! Is it time for the season to start yet?

Put it this way Jeremy: I'm HAPPILY getting married to a girl that's 10 x's out of my league on August 1st in South Bend, and I'm sooooo much looking forward more to going back to SB for the U$C game on Oct. 17th. I mean, it's not even close LOL. I think I'm looking forward to the first friggin' practice more than my own damn wedding day, and again, I look forward to getting married, LOL. Am I going to hell???

ND football is a sick, sick addiction for me...

IrishInFl
07-15-2009, 04:11 PM
What makes people think that all these three stars will remain three stars? Lombard is clearly more than a three star IMO, and will be upgraded.

IRISHMAN
07-15-2009, 04:46 PM
i also would love to see every ND class littered with 4 & 5-star players but i'll take spencer any day. watch boyd's film the dude is a playmaker, rivals and scouts have him serverly underrated.

The Polish Irishman
07-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Cape Coral High's Boyd to verbally commit to Notre Dame | news-press.com | The News-Press (http://www.news-press.com/article/20090715/HSS05/90715047/1011/SPORTS01)

Free Article from Ft. Myers Paper News Press...my parents live in the area and reps to dad for the article

IrishInFl
07-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Nice find! I like being wrong on these occasions. At least I can admit it.

NDinL.A.
07-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Cape Coral High's Boyd to verbally commit to Notre Dame | news-press.com | The News-Press (http://www.news-press.com/article/20090715/HSS05/90715047/1011/SPORTS01)

Free Article from Ft. Myers Paper News Press...my parents live in the area and reps to dad for the article

Poor kid is having to call all the recruiting services telling them that it's not true and that he still intends to announce on Friday. The newspaper (or his dad) stole his thunder and went ahead with a story that I bet he didn't want to come out until Friday. He doesn't strike me as the kid that wants a circus announcement with all the hats and cousins trying on different hats and throwing them away, etc. This day (Fri) was the culmination of all the hard work the kid puts in, and he wanted his little moment in the sun. I have no problem with guys doing this, as long as it's not a sideshow. He's earned it. But the paper took it away, in a sense.

Having said that, WELCOME ABOARD!!!! With this commitment, the staff has almost filled in a spot of need with guys they evaluated and liked. We have one spot open, (possibly 2 if ND wants to go that route) with ND firmly in the mix with 2 studs in Riggs and Shaw...

DirtySecret
07-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Poor kid is having to call all the recruiting services telling them that it's not true and that he still intends to announce on Friday. The newspaper (or his dad) stole his thunder and went ahead with a story that I bet he didn't want to come out until Friday. He doesn't strike me as the kid that wants a circus announcement with all the hats and cousins trying on different hats and throwing them away, etc. This day (Fri) was the culmination of all the hard work the kid puts in, and he wanted his little moment in the sun. I have no problem with guys doing this, as long as it's not a sideshow. He's earned it. But the paper took it away, in a sense.

Having said that, WELCOME ABOARD!!!! With this commitment, the staff has almost filled in a spot of need with guys they evaluated and liked. We have one spot open, (possibly 2 if ND wants to go that route) with ND firmly in the mix with 2 studs in Riggs and Shaw...

SHHH!!!! He really didn't commit yet!! I hoping he picks ND on Friday.

BGIF
07-15-2009, 07:32 PM
There's no byline on that article except news-press.com staff. Interesting "somebody" has a scoop, quotes the father directly, but takes no credit for it.

I'll hazard a guess "somebody" isn't on the news-press.com staff but called it in as hearsay. Notice they didn't say, Scott Boyd's, Spencer's father told the news-press.com ... or told Rivals reporter ... just an unsupported quote.

Junkhead
07-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Let all the threads about quality of commits resume, since we may have landed another 3 star. The only area where I DON'T doubt the coaching staff is recruiting.

jason_h537
07-15-2009, 11:57 PM
It's all about patience with this class, more than any other year. CW has to win to keep his job, and all the recruits know it. If we win, we'll get the 5 star guys like Barr and be in major contention for other blue-chippers like Stone, McCay and Prater. It's really that simple. The ONE thing we should all be able to agree on, even the CW haters, is that he and his staff are very good at evaluating and getting talent. Guys like Blanton and Tate were one time 3 stars. Blue chippers like Clausen, Crist, Floyd, and Rudolph were all persuaded to come to ND despite our recent struggles. I really don't see the need to worry about this class, except for the O-line. I'm with you there.

But at the same time, per Scout we're already in 10th position recruiting wise, and that's without the blue-chippers we could get if we win. By all accounts, guys like Hendrix and Moore will move up when the new evals come out. And on Rivals, Moore is a 4 star already. When we had 3 recruits, I was sweating. Now that we're at 12, and we're hitting positions of need THAT THE STAFF FEELS GOOD ABOUT, and other recruits are keeping ND on their lists, I believe their's nothing to worry about (unless we lose of course)...

How many times have we said this?

WabashFalcon
07-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Hey... I love it, I love it, I love it. Now that we have all but one position of need really covered, we can sit on a fastball and hit a couple big boys out of the park.

BGIF
07-16-2009, 02:10 AM
How many times have we said this?

texas fighting irish
07-16-2009, 06:29 AM
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE WE STAND WITH RIGGS AND SHAW? GO IRISH

BGIF
07-16-2009, 06:49 AM

Turn your caps lock off!

no.1IrishFan
07-16-2009, 06:49 AM
I feel like an idiot, this kid plays in my back yard and I just found out about him. I freaking live in Cape Coral where he plays! I'll keep everyone posted on his play this year.

BGIF
07-16-2009, 06:51 AM
I feel like an idiot, this kid plays in my back yard and I just found out about him. I freaking live in Cape Coral where he plays! I'll keep everyone posted on his play this year.

Thanks, it'll be nice to have local reports.

texas fighting irish
07-16-2009, 07:01 AM
Give a guy a break so i left my caps on. lol

no.1IrishFan
07-16-2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks, it'll be nice to have local reports.

No prob, I'm gonna see if I can go watch him commit today. It will more than likely be at the school but I'm not sure if just anybody is allowed to attend and possibly film it.

BGIF
07-16-2009, 08:03 AM
No prob, I'm gonna see if I can go watch him commit today. It will more than likely be at the school but I'm not sure if just anybody is allowed to attend and possibly film it.

Call the school and tell them you're covering the story for IrishEnvy as a Contributing Correspondent. Ask if there's a pre announcement briefing for the media. Bring a tape recorder and you'll look like the rest of the media.

no.1IrishFan
07-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Call the school and tell them you're covering the story for IrishEnvy as a Contributing Correspondent. Ask if there's a pre announcement briefing for the media. Bring a tape recorder and you'll look like the rest of the media.

Thanks Ill give it a shot and see what happens.

BGIF
07-16-2009, 09:10 AM
There's no byline on that article except news-press.com staff. Interesting "somebody" has a scoop, quotes the father directly, but takes no credit for it.

I'll hazard a guess "somebody" isn't on the news-press.com staff but called it in as hearsay. Notice they didn't say, Scott Boyd's, Spencer's father told the news-press.com ... or told Rivals reporter ... just an unsupported quote.

South Bend Tribune: Notre Dame football: Boyd picks ND over U-M (http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090716/SPORTS13/907160387)

This is called a circular reference.

SBT quotes the news-press.com piece referencing them.

So now the story is "confirmed" although their still is no identification of who spoke with Mr Boyd.

no.1IrishFan
07-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Just spoke with the someone at Cape high, they're not certain about the exact time of the announcement tomorrow. She will be calling me back with the specifics a little later today.

BGIF
07-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Just spoke with the AD at Cape high, she's not certain about the exact time of the announcement tomorrow. She will be calling me back with the specifics a little later today.

Well done!

no.1IrishFan
07-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks buddy, hopefully I can get some good video. maybe even an interview or something.
It would be sweet if he could give a shout out to IE. I'm sure that would chap a few asses on some other boards.lol

BGIF
07-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Cape’s Boyd to commit to Notre Dame - cape-coral-daily-breeze.com | News, sports, community info. - Cape Coral Daily Breeze (http://www.cape-coral-daily-breeze.com/page/content.detail/id/508301.html?nav=5015)

By DAVE DEVEREUX July 16th

This article has a byline and a source!

Cape Coral High coach Mike Goebbel:
I talked to Spencer (Tuesday) and he told me he was going to verbally commit to Notre Dame. He thought that was the best place for him. He was excited and his parents are excited about it.

I'd color him Green!

WabashFalcon
07-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Fantastic. Simpliy fan-freaking-tastic.

no.1IrishFan
07-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Spencer is leaving tonight for South Bend. He will commit tomorrow in person at Notre Dame.

IrishInFl
07-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Sign what? A letter of intent?

no.1IrishFan
07-16-2009, 11:50 AM
I meant to say commit.

BGIF
07-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Sign what? A letter of intent?

NO LOI until National Signing Day next February.

If he was an Early Enrollment like Lo Wood he would enter ND in January but he can't sign any commitment at this point.

BGIF
07-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I meant to say commit.

Ok.

BGIF
07-16-2009, 11:59 AM
I meant to say commit.

BTW, if you do get to interview him be careful as a booster (NCAA designation) you can not sing the praises of ND nor try to influence his decision. Only certified coaches can recruit. Fans that do so are jeopardizing the school relationship with a recruit. The NCAA could bar ND from recruiting and signing a recruit involved in such a situation. It's happened in Div 1 football.

Jason Pham
07-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Profile updated.

no.1IrishFan
07-16-2009, 12:05 PM
BTW, if you do get to interview him be careful as a booster (NCAA designation) you can not sing the praises of ND nor try to influence his decision. Only certified coaches can recruit. Fans that do so are jeopardizing the school relationship with a recruit. The NCAA could bar ND from recruiting and signing a recruit involved in such a situation. It's happened in Div 1 football.

Sure thing buddy.

IrishInFl
07-16-2009, 12:22 PM

Uh-Oh. Did I do that with Starling last year? I told him that if school and a combination with football tradition was his main concerns, that he should go to ND. He obviously did not listen.

NDinL.A.
07-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Uh-Oh. Did I do that with Starling last year? I told him that if school and a combination with football tradition was his main concerns, that he should go to ND. He obviously did not listen.

So YOU'RE the reason Starling went to U$C!!!!!! Bastard!

WabashFalcon
07-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Rabble Rabble Rabble!

IrishInFl
07-16-2009, 12:43 PM
That's actually plausible. During the talks with him, I said not to be afraid of competition. Oops.

no.1IrishFan
07-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks buddy, hopefully I can get some good video. maybe even an interview or something.
It would be sweet if he could give a shout out to IE. I'm sure that would chap a few asses on some other boards.lol

Just wanted to clarify a little on this post,it was not meant to be hit on GH. I know in the past there have been some things said that have raised some tension between the two sites and that some members post on both sites.I'm pretty sure that all of that is over now so I don't want it to look like I'm starting stuff.

WabashFalcon
07-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Just wanted to clarify a little on this post,it was not meant to be hit on GH. I know in the past there have been some things said that have raised some tension between the two sites and that some members post on both sites.I'm pretty sure that all of that is over now so I don't want it to look like I'm starting stuff.

Ummm.... tanner? Like... yesterday?

jason_h537
07-17-2009, 12:05 AM

We are in it for both and will be surprised if we dont get one. I wish we could have gotten both but doubt we will have room.

IrishInFl
07-17-2009, 02:43 AM
If Riggs coach would allow early commitments, Riggs would be Irish right now. I still don't know why this guy has so much influence over his players that he does not allow them to commit early, but it is what it is.

NDinL.A.
07-17-2009, 03:05 AM
If Riggs coach would allow early commitments, Riggs would be Irish right now. I still don't know why this guy has so much influence over his players that he does not allow them to commit early, but it is what it is.

You know FL, I see what you are saying, and I can also see what his coach is aying. Say you're a prospect like Riggs, and you commit to ND early. Then FL, a school you really wanted offer, all of a sudden offers. Now what? You're committed to ND, but you got the offer from a school you really wanted to go to. DO you open your recruitment again and piss off your ND coaches and the fan base, thus making you feel like crap? Do you stay committed to ND, but still wondering what if? Do you carry that what if all the way to NSD, and then flip on ND and leave a school you previously loved in a fu**ed position?

From what I hear, the coach tells his players to take OV's to make sure they are solid with their decisions. That could hurt kids that wait too long and see their offers pulled, or it could help kids who are struggling to pick the right school. It's tough bro. I think in Riggs case I'm glad he didn't commit at the time because I wouldn't want to get heartbroken on NSD (and yes, when these guys flip it literally breaks my heart!)...

IrishInFl
07-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Here's the thing: if Riggs wanted to to go a different school, why would he say that he wanted to commit to ND then? I agree with you that it would feel bad to commit then de-commit, but then why tell Langston that he wanted to commit to ND?

NDinL.A.
07-17-2009, 11:32 AM
I've read that his announcement will come at 5 p.m. eastern...

WabashFalcon
07-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Today?

no.1IrishFan
07-17-2009, 01:47 PM
I just read that his announcement was moved up and he has made it official already.

BCSorBust
07-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Did he do it in South Bend

no.1IrishFan
07-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Did he do it in South Bend

I'm almost certain he did.

IrishAddiction
07-17-2009, 05:06 PM
its officially official that he is officially a verbal. link below.

Boyd Finds Right Fit (http://irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/football/225-boyd-finds-right-fit)

BGIF
07-17-2009, 05:35 PM
You know FL, I see what you are saying, and I can also see what his coach is aying. Say you're a prospect like Riggs, and you commit to ND early. Then FL, a school you really wanted offer, all of a sudden offers. Now what? You're committed to ND, but you got the offer from a school you really wanted to go to. DO you open your recruitment again and piss off your ND coaches and the fan base, thus making you feel like crap? Do you stay committed to ND, but still wondering what if? Do you carry that what if all the way to NSD, and then flip on ND and leave a school you previously loved in a fu**ed position?

From what I hear, the coach tells his players to take OV's to make sure they are solid with their decisions. That could hurt kids that wait too long and see their offers pulled, or it could help kids who are struggling to pick the right school. It's tough bro. I think in Riggs case I'm glad he didn't commit at the time because I wouldn't want to get heartbroken on NSD (and yes, when these guys flip it literally breaks my heart!)...

The Aquinas coach may have the players interest in heart but the Aquinas coach has HIS team in mind. He does not want his players flitting about in-season, once camp open it all about Aquinas. He does not want the distractions and disruptions to his schedule.

This came out during Young's recruitment. Sam didn't visit ND until January 20th. Wenger caused a stir at home the next year by taking a November visit.

NDinL.A.
07-17-2009, 09:46 PM
He plans on being an EE. Great news for the Irish...

BCSorBust
07-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Video interview with Boyd after his commitment. He did do it in South Bend. Seems like a positive young man.

YouTube - Spencer Boyd interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_miMuXtxcw)

jason_h537
07-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Welocme aboard Boyd.

WabashFalcon
07-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Being an EE, he doesn't count against our scholly number for this cycle, right?

Bubba
07-18-2009, 12:27 AM
Being an EE, he doesn't count against our scholly number for this cycle, right?

I believe it can go either way depending on the amount of scholarships they have available and what they desire to do.

BGIF
07-18-2009, 12:40 AM
I believe it can go either way depending on the amount of scholarships they have available and what they desire to do.

Correct. And there is space in the '09 25.

WabashFalcon
07-18-2009, 12:50 AM
So this means we can extend an extra scholly to A. Olyian (or however the hell you spell it). Hell... the kid wants to pull the trigger... why not get number 14/13?

BGIF
07-18-2009, 02:50 AM
BlueandGold.com // Video: Spencer Boyd Commits To Notre Dame (http://www.blueandgold.com/content/?aid=7355)

video of Boyd's press conference this afternoon at the Varsity Club in South Bend courtesy of IrishSportsDaily.com (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/)

Boyd responding to B&G's Jason Sapp:
When I first stepped on campus, it’s just a feeling that you get. It’s a family-type of atmosphere. You’re surrounded by all good people. I don’t have to worry about getting in trouble there and I can focus on my studies and football

Sounds like he has a little fan to root for him.

Dacian_Irish
07-18-2009, 04:06 AM
So this means we can extend an extra scholly to A. Olyian (or however the hell you spell it). Hell... the kid wants to pull the trigger... why not get number 14/13?

Sounds good to me. The gut can fly and we could use another LB this year.

BGIF
07-18-2009, 04:51 AM
The Aquinas coach may have the players interest in heart but the Aquinas coach has HIS team in mind. He does not want his players flitting about in-season, once camp open it all about Aquinas. He does not want the distractions and disruptions to his schedule.

This came out during Young's recruitment. Sam didn't visit ND until January 20th. Wenger caused a stir at home the next year by taking a November visit.

Here's a comment from Connecticut coach Randy Edsall that deals with commitments from a HS coaches point of view:

I know the high school coaches don't like all this because one of their kids commits, and then they can't coach their kids anymore. The kids think they're done. Some kids shut it down and don't play as hard their senior year

jason_h537
07-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Sounds good to me. The gut can fly and we could use another LB this year.
The staff is holding the remaining LB spot for someone like Anthony Barr or Tony Jefferson. Both can play multiple positions but Notre Dame can be picky at LB.

notredomer23
07-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Tony jefferson plays safety not LB at the next level. We are taking him as a safety. And we are in good position with tony and parker both at safety

jason_h537
07-18-2009, 02:29 PM
He currently plays LB in high school and is being recruited as a safety. Jefferson could grow into a LB or in the very least play the nickel similar to Motta

The Polish Irishman
09-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Had 58 yards on Offense with 1 TD and 2 Fumble Recoveries and 1 Pick last Friday

NDinL.A.
11-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Per ISD, he still plans on enrolling early and getting a head start on his Irish career...

BGIF
12-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Per ISD, he still plans on enrolling early and getting a head start on his Irish career...

He may be enrolling early but ESPN via ISD reports he'll make an official to Michigan this weekend.

College Football Recruiting On the Trail 2010 - ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/onthetrail?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2fonthetrail)

Three-star athlete Spencer Boyd, a Fighting Irish pledge, will make an official visit to Michigan this weekend

NDinL.A.
12-03-2009, 10:32 PM
It's as a backup plan in case that the new coach doesn't want him. He still plans on enrolling early as long as the new coach will have him.

I'm not worried....yet LOL...

Polish Leppy 22
12-04-2009, 12:20 AM
I still don't like it. What kind of coach comes in and says to a high school kid..."I know they wanted you and recruited you, but I don't like ya."

FrankMA
12-04-2009, 12:35 AM
I still don't like it. What kind of coach comes in and says to a high school kid..."I know they wanted you and recruited you, but I don't like ya."

Didn't Holtz say something to Stan Smagala? He ended up taking him but didn't he say something to try to discourge him from signing? I know I read that somewhere long ago but I don't remember where.

ACamp1900
12-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Didn't Holtz say something to Stan Smagala? He ended up taking him but didn't he say something to try to discourge him from signing? I know I read that somewhere long ago but I don't remember where.

maybe it's unfair, but I wonder if he listens, do we go back to back??

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gw1zUKJVEw8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gw1zUKJVEw8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

NDisme
12-04-2009, 12:50 AM
I have got a great story about Smagala. My Uncle, an all state runningback at fenwick, was being recruited by the big ten schools and what not. Him and smagala were the same year. My whole family was obviously enormous ND fans, hence where i got it. So a coach from ND came up to my grandpa and said if we offer Chris a scholorship, will he say yes right now. My grandpa was like hell yea no doubt. But there were three coahes in the area one wanted my uncle/godfather and the other two wanted smagala. So they took smagala and my uncle went to iowa and the line coach then was frank verducci! I have another great story about smagala, if you want to hear it let me know but this post is already really long... sorry.Didn't Holtz say something to Stan Smagala? He ended up taking him but didn't he say something to try to discourge him from signing? I know I read that somewhere long ago but I don't remember where.

BGIF
12-04-2009, 12:58 AM

Spurrier when he replaced Holtz at S.C. There's been numerous others over the years when coaching changes take place. Didn't Kiffen tell a QB he didn't fit in his system?

jason_h537
12-04-2009, 01:34 AM
Spurrier when he replaced Holtz at S.C. There's been numerous others over the years when coaching changes take place. Didn't Kiffen tell a QB he didn't fit in his system?

No it was a running back and ND was trying to recruit him. I cant think of his name right now

Anty way i believe Swarbick said he would honer all the recruits which is why he has the coaches still on them. Most that are looking are in case they dont like the new coach

jason_h537
12-04-2009, 01:40 AM
It was Damien Thigpen, ended up at UCLA

BGIF
12-04-2009, 02:34 AM
I expect Boyd to enroll in time for the Spring semester.

Big23Head
12-04-2009, 09:59 AM
NOT visiting Michigan now, per ISD

NDinL.A.
12-04-2009, 11:16 AM

Yup, his mom said it's ND all the way...

irish4ever
12-04-2009, 01:28 PM

He has the same thouoght process that I do about scUM .... Muck Fichigan and 'ol Dick Rod that cheatin' SOB!!!

jason_h537
12-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Was visited by Corwin Brwon who gave him some reassurance. Michigan got burned by a Michigan guy, i love Corwin

IrishAddiction
12-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Was visited by Corwin Brwon who gave him some reassurance. Michigan got burned by a Michigan guy, i love Corwin

Dito.

WabashFalcon
12-05-2009, 12:47 PM
You're my Boyd blue! You're my Boyd!

BGIF
01-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Per Irish Illustrated

<TABLE class=header border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=leftheader vAlign=center noWrap>COMMITMENTS</TD><TD class=middleheader vAlign=center width="1%" noWrap></TD><TD class=rightheader vAlign=center width="1%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=data border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=header colSpan=5>Signed Letter of Intent</TD><TR><TD class=labelleft>Name</TD><TD class=labelcenter>Pos</TD><TD class=labelcenter>Ht/Wt</TD><TD class=labelcenter>Stars</TD><TD class=labelcenter>Rank</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataplayer>Chris Badger</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>DB</TD><TD class=datacenter noWrap>6-0/178</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gif</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>41</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataplayer>Spencer Boyd</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>DB</TD><TD class=datacenter noWrap>5-10/178</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gif</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>39</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataplayer>Tai-ler Jones</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>WR</TD><TD class=datacenter noWrap>6-0/184</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gif</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>16</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataplayer>Tommy Rees</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>QB</TD><TD class=datacenter noWrap>6-3/192</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gif</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>31</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataplayer>Lo Wood</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>DB</TD><TD class=datacenter noWrap>5-10/160</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gif</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>45</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

WabashFalcon
01-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Five down... minimum of 13 to go...

IrishAddiction
01-11-2010, 10:54 PM
I like it. I like it alot. Welcome to the campus Spencer, now go and hit the weights!

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-12-2010, 01:49 AM
and eat lots of protein!!!

faithfulfan
02-03-2010, 07:52 PM
I think he could be one of the true sleepers in this class. I love his highlight film. Good ball skills and great football speed. Possible kick returner?

jason_h537
02-03-2010, 11:49 PM
I think he could be one of the true sleepers in this class. I love his highlight film. Good ball skills and great football speed. Possible kick returner?

agree. and hopefully lil Boyd grows up to play for us too

BGIF
02-04-2010, 04:40 AM
agree. and hopefully lil Boyd grows up to play for us too

"hopefully" ???

Why shouldn't he? ND lists "lil Body" at 5-10 175 and Wood at 176. According to Rivals Walls was 5-10 162, Gray 163, McNeil 175, and Blanton 177 when they signed. The first 3 played at 190 last year. Blanton was 185. Boyd could hit Blanton's playing weight by the time summer camp begins.

jason_h537
02-05-2010, 12:51 AM
"hopefully" ???

Why shouldn't he? ND lists "lil Body" at 5-10 175 and Wood at 176. According to Rivals Walls was 5-10 162, Gray 163, McNeil 175, and Blanton 177 when they signed. The first 3 played at 190 last year. Blanton was 185. Boyd could hit Blanton's playing weight by the time summer camp begins.

i was talking about Spencers son

BGIF
02-05-2010, 12:58 AM
i was talking about Spencers son

OK

nd1
07-13-2010, 09:45 AM
over on irisheyes they have inside article saying he transferring to usf.

BGIF
07-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Notre Dame transfer Boyd chooses USF (http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/07/notre-dame-transfer-boyd-chooses-usf.html)

July 12, 2010

Former Notre Dame cornerback Spencer Boyd is coming to USF this fall.

The freshman from Cape Coral, who is transferring after enrolling early at Notre Dame in January, got the grade he needed on a summer class to assure him of being admitted at USF, his father Scott said Monday. Boyd called USF coach Skip Holtz to give him the news -- Boyd, who will sit out this fall as required by NCAA transfer rules, will still have a full four years of eligibility starting in 2011.

"He's in at USF. It's a done deal," Scott Boyd said. "There's nothing else to hold it up now."

Boyd got an "A" grade in the Anthropology class he took over the past month at Notre Dame, and he had considered West Virginia as an option if things hadn't worked out with USF. His father said it's still undecided what position Boyd will play at USF, but he said coaches are "leaning toward offense," where the versatile Boyd could be used at multiple positions but most likely at receiver.

Boyd is the second scholarship transfer reported for USF in the past week -- East Carolina senior fullback/tight end Kevin Gidrey said Friday that he is following Holtz to USF and will play his final year of college football with the Bulls. Former Auburn running back Dontae Aycock also is joining the Bulls as a walk-on this fall.

Boyd is the fourth member of Rivals.com's Florida top 100 in USF's incoming class -- cornerback Terrence Mitchell is No. 15, defensive tackle Todd Chandler is No. 41, Boyd is No. 70 and running back Marcus Shaw is No. 89.

It's unknown how many scholarships USF has available this fall, but there's been nothing to suggest the addition of Boyd and Gidrey put the Bulls out of contention for other transfers, like N.C. State receiver Donald Bowens and Colorado running back Darrell Scott. Bowens has a meeting scheduled for one week from today and should find out then if he's been accepted into graduate school at USF.

Boyd's decision could help the Bulls pick up a commitment for 2011, as Cape Coral's Edsel Caprice, a three-star defensive end/outside linebacker, said Monday he will be visiting USF on Tuesday and then deciding between the Bulls and North Carolina.

iamtrulyblessed
07-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Go to news-press.com and their is a article about Spencer Boyd.

Boyd says farewell to Notre Dame | news-press.com | The News-Press (http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20107140373)
Former Cape star will transfer to USF
BY CARL BLEICH • cbleich@news-press.com • July 14, 2010
After enrolling early and participating in spring practice at Notre Dame, Cape Coral High graduate Spencer Boyd will transfer to the University of South Florida in the fall.
Boyd cited a need to be closer to his family as the main reason he is leaving Notre Dame.
"I have some family issues right now," Boyd said by telephone from South Bend on Tuesday. "There's no hard feelings. They know I am leaving for family issues."

The 5-foot-10 Boyd said he had put on 12 pounds at one point because of the strength training program at Notre Dame but has since lost some weight.
"I appreciate everything I learned from the coaches at Notre Dame," Boyd said. "I tried keep everything on a good note up here."

GoldenIsThyFame
08-06-2012, 04:00 PM
@gregauman
Former USF defensive back Spencer Boyd says he's transferring to Div. II Shepherd University in West Virginia. Will sit out this season.

Oh the irony. Look who had the last post about Spencer wanting to be closer to home...

Irishnuke
08-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Lol. Family issues huh?

Sherm Sticky
08-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Lol. Family issues huh?
Leave him alone.

FLDomer
08-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Lol. Family issues huh?

Leave him alone.

Yeah, leave him alone, you big meany!!!

PLACforever
08-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Cape Coral sucks.
'10 and '11 ND had EEs from there and neither are still there.

NDinFL
08-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Cape Coral sucks.
'10 and '11 ND had EEs from there and neither are still there.

I live 10 minutes from the place.

It sucks for a bunch of different reasons.

PLACforever
08-07-2012, 08:51 AM
I live 10 minutes from the place.

It sucks for a bunch of different reasons.

I just moved 10 minutes from USF and I'm thinking of getting season tix so I can boo the '11 EE who transferred.

Sherm Sticky
08-07-2012, 08:56 AM
I just moved 10 minutes from USF and I'm thinking of getting season tix so I can boo the '11 EE who transferred.
Do it!

Emcee77
08-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Lynch and Boyd are totally different situations though. Lynch's problems were all off the field. Boyd's problems, regardless of what he said, were mostly on the field, as evidenced by his drop down to Division II (and by Sapp, who has said that he heard that Boyd was struggling mightily in football). For whatever reason he just couldn't hack it at the D-I FBS level.

Irishnuke
08-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Leave him alone.

Do it!

So which one is it?