PDA

View Full Version : '10 FL RB Giovanni Bernard (UNC Commit)

SoCalDomer
03-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Running Back
Fort Lauderdale (FL) St. Thomas Aquinas

Ht: 5-9
Wt: 198
Forty: 4.5
Shuttle: 4.22

Stats:
'06 Rush 443 Yds, 6 TD
'07 Rush 105 Atts, 698 Yds, 6.6 YPC, 7 TD; Receiving 9 Catches, 97 Yds, 2 TD
'08 Rush 160 ATTs, 1528 Yds, 9.6 YPC, 18 TD; Receiving 8 Catches, 127 Yds, 1 TD

Rankings:
Rivals: :s::s::s::s:, #12 RB; Rating 5.8
Scout: :s::s::s::s:, #12 RB
ESPN: :s::s::s::s:,#17 RB; Grade 79

Offers:
ND (OV 10/16)
UNC (OV 1/22/10)
OR St (OV 9/18)

OU
UF
FSU
MIA
ALA
ORE
NU (OV 10/23)
UTN (OV 9/11)

ND Recruiter: Alford

Decision: 1/28/2010 UNC Verbal

SoCalDomer
03-02-2009, 01:11 PM
free story: SportingNews.com - The Recruitnik (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TheRecruitnik/entry/view/17379/notre_dame_offers_south_florida_rb)

Giovanni Bernard has several scholarship offers already, but the most recent one caught his attention more than most. The 5-foot-9, 200-pound running back out of St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) picked up an offer from Notre Dame late last week, he told Sporting News Today.

sportallyr
03-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Keep the St. Thomas Aquinas pipeline going strong.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
03-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Thats what I'm saying. STA is going to help bring ND back to where it needs to be.

DirtySecret
03-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Did he drop ND from his list? When I look on espn recruitng and scouts, ND is nowhere to be found. I really like this kid, he's built lower body kinda like Javon Ringer was..

SoCalDomer
03-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Did he drop ND from his list? When I look on espn recruitng and scouts, ND is nowhere to be found. I really like this kid, he's built lower body kinda like Javon Ringer was..

i think that is more of a function of the site than interest by the recruit. they can only list so many schools of interest, and if a recruit doesn't list a top-X, they just list as many as they can fit.

DirtySecret
03-25-2009, 08:43 PM
i think that is more of a function of the site than interest by the recruit. they can only list so many schools of interest, and if a recruit doesn't list a top-X, they just list as many as they can fit.

I see.. I'm watching highlight of this kid on espn recruiting site. Man, ol' man, he's small but a very stable running back and great up field vision. He takes a lick and keeps on ticking.

notredomer23
03-25-2009, 09:15 PM
I see.. I'm watching highlight of this kid on espn recruiting site. Man, ol' man, he's small but a very stable running back and great up field vision. He takes a lick and keeps on ticking.

take anything ESPN says with a grain of salt

DirtySecret
03-25-2009, 09:38 PM
take anything ESPN says with a grain of salt

Just watching the highlight of'em. I don't read into espn recruiting.

DirtySecret
04-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Gio announced his top 3 and we did not make the cut: FL, FL State, OU.. Man, I really wanted this kid.

BGIF
05-12-2009, 03:46 PM
IrishIllustrated.com - Bernard stays in touch (http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=945243)

Jake Brown article notes conversations aren't frequent with ND but long. ND OT and St. Thomas Acquinas graduate Sam Young stopped by the HS teams practice on Monday and said hi. 20 offers including ND OU ALA UF FSU MIA and UTN. No favorites but plans to make a Top 10 after spring practice. ND will make the short list and will likely get an Official Visit.

Really they're one of my top schools because I know football isn't gonna last forever. I know I need a good education. I (also) know if I do go there I will have a chance to compete in my first year. That's a good thing.

More at the LINK including video

BGIF
06-19-2009, 03:41 PM
From Jamie Newberg's Mailbag

Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Ask Jamie: Bulldogs make a recruiting run (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=956905)

Q. What are the odds Oklahoma gets both Finch and fellow running back Giovanni Bernard out of Florida?

A. ...

Bernard lists OU, FSU UF ND and ALA as schools that stand out. Bernard has close to two dozen scholarship offers and hopes to narrow things to a more manageable 10 schools at the end of the summer.
Why is he so open at this point? Part of the reason is that he hasn't had a chance to visit schools, so a key for OU will be if Bernard visits the Sooners. Running back is a primary need for the Sooners this year, and they already have a commitment from one of the top backs from California in Brennan Clay of San Diego Scripps Ranch.

BGIF
06-19-2009, 03:48 PM
In the first part of his response Newberg states he thinks Finch in Gatorbound IF the Gators offer. If not he sees him going to OU would give them 2 RBs this class and might eliminate them from Bernard's list. I deleted that as extraneous to ND but it is part of the dominoes.

WabashFalcon
06-19-2009, 07:39 PM
What I hate is what I like to call the "Gator Cockblock." We have kids from Flordia all but packing their bags then Sirhan Myher. Offers a scholly. Then these kids all get Florida woodies and the cocktease continues untill signing day when I either begin a long, detailed swearing regimine or dance like an idiot at work.

BGIF
07-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Freebie by Luke Stampini

Bernard has Nine in Mind | soflafootball.com (http://www.soflafootball.com/feature/bernard-has-nine-in-mind)

6/29 Critics claim he's too short, too slow, and can't block. He says different. Down to a list of 9 ALA, UTN, UF, FSU, MIA, OU, ORE, ND, and NU. Plans to take officials but most likely not to the FL schools as he most familiar with them.

IrishInFl
07-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Gene just saw him on Sunday. I'll ask about him.

WabashFalcon
07-01-2009, 03:46 PM
We need to make him an offer... he can notta refuse...

IrishInFl
07-01-2009, 11:44 PM
? Doesn't the thread say that he was offered?

WabashFalcon
07-02-2009, 03:08 AM

You come to me... today... on the day of my internet posting, and ask me a question that I can notta refuse. I will answer your question, but in return... some day, some where, I will ask of you a favor which you must return to me.

I will grant your question with a respone... Marlon Brando voice this post and the last one. You'll get it.

BGIF
07-02-2009, 03:14 AM

Bernard was offered back in Feb.

Wabash is babbling.

WabashFalcon
07-02-2009, 03:23 AM
Bernard was offered back in Feb.

Wabash is babbling.

I'm using my Godfather voice... to imply that his name is very Italian Maifoso... or... was it a "swing and a miss"?

BGIF
07-02-2009, 03:36 AM
I'm using my Godfather voice... to imply that his name is very Italian Maifoso... or... was it a "swing and a miss"?

Not your best work. (btw, Italian M-a-f-i-o-s-o is redundant)

IrishInFl
07-04-2009, 02:50 AM
UPDATE!

Gene told me that Bernard is down to UF and FSU.

In much more interesting news (at least to me) I have been made a vip guest to the warchant.com cowgirl bikini contest, as long as I wear my ND gear. Woot! Free beer!

jason_h537
07-04-2009, 03:28 AM
UPDATE!

In much more interesting news (at least to me) I have been made a vip guest to the warchant.com cowgirl bikini contest, as long as I wear my ND gear. Woot! Free beer!

Thanx for the update. hmmm i'd be more pumped about the bikini contest, but to each their own

WabashFalcon
07-04-2009, 10:35 AM
UPDATE!

Video tape it. Send me a copy. Then I will enjoy it. Alone.

BGIF
07-04-2009, 11:47 AM
UPDATE!

Go to one of those tee shirt sites. Make one in green. On the front "HERE COME THE IRISH" and on the back 34-24.

Take out big insurance policy before attending.

Jump on the first cowgirl you see. As the crowd beats you to death with tomahawk chops you'll have the unique pleasure of coming and going at the the same time.

BGIF
07-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Video tape it. Send me a copy. Then I will enjoy it. Alone.

... and if you canít be with the one you love, honey, love the one youíre with, love the one youíre with, love the one youíre with, love the one youíre with.

Dit dit dit dit dit dit dit dit, dit dit dit dit dit dit dit dit,
dit dit dit dit dit dit dit dit, dit dit dit, dit dit dit

IrishInFl
07-04-2009, 01:23 PM
The only problem is that I work that night. Gene told me to call in sick. I may just do that.

BGIF
07-05-2009, 12:38 AM
The only problem is that I work that night. Gene told me to call in sick. I may just do that.

I suppose you could say you've got a bad case of MSB and am seeking relief.

IrishInFl
07-05-2009, 02:47 AM
LOL. I know two of the girls in the contest, and one of them does fit the MSB profile. The other one, not so much.

NDinL.A.
08-09-2009, 06:56 PM
UPDATE!

He still might be only considering the FL schools and is taking us for a ride, but he did set up and OV to ND for, you guessed it, the USC game...

DirtySecret
08-10-2009, 12:00 AM
He still might be only considering the FL schools and is taking us for a ride, but he did set up and OV to ND for, you guessed it, the USC game...

Basically, if they pull a win out of their ass it might just change his tune..

BGIF
08-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Basically, if they pull a win out of their ass it might just change his tune..

How 'bout if they don't pull anything out of their ass but just beat them.

BGIF
08-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Profile Updated

BGIF
08-11-2009, 04:11 AM
8/10 Bill Kurelic

Midwest recruiting Blog - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=Midwest_Recruiting)

Charlie Weis is hoping to land teammates DB Cody Riggs, OL Brandon Linder and RBGiovanni Bernard (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla./St. Thomas Aquinas). All three are planning to make official visits to ND, though it is not certain at this point if they will all do so at the same time. Bernard will also be on hand for the Notre Dame-USC game. To this point it is the only official visit he has scheduled. The 5-9, 200-pounder, who rushed for over 1,500 yards and had 18 touchdowns during his junior season, has scholarship offers from Notre Dame, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Alabama, Oklahoma and Tennessee, among others.

BGIF
10-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Recruiting Thoughts Written by Brian Smith 20 October 2009
Recruiting Thoughts (http://irishsportsdaily.com/blogs/smittys-blog/1098-recruiting-thoughts)

Giovanni Bernard Ė The St. Thomas Aquinas tailback has not been interviewed, at least not that Iíve seen, since his visit to South Bend (Iíve been very busy so I might have missed it). Until I read several quotes from Bernard, I have no clue where heís leaning. He has a plethora of options, so my guess is he will wait until January to make a final decision.

notredomer23
10-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Murmur Murmur

http://twitter.com/hansensouthbend

DirtySecret
10-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Murmur Murmur

http://twitter.com/hansensouthbend

Tom Lemming has also been wrong just keep in mind.. I've want Gio since day one. Strong downhill runner who has great reads.

Notre Dame Football: Recruit Bernard expected to commit to Irish
By BOB WIENEKE
Tribune Staff Writer

Running back Giovanni Bernard of St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., is expected to verbally commit to Notre Dame, according to CBS College Sports Network analyst Tom Lemming.

The 5-foot-9, 195-pound Bernard has not officially announced his choice and could not be immediately reached for comment.

"I really like him," said Lemming, who gives Bernard four-plus stars on his five-star scale. "I thought he was one of the better running backs in the country. Even though he's small, he's the kind of small back you like."

Bernard, timed in the 40-yard dash 4.5 seconds, ran for 1,570 yards and 18 touchdowns as a junior at Aquinas, averaging 9.8 yards a carry. He carried 160 times, fumbling only once for the 2008 high school national champions.

"He's got the balance, vision and leg strength that Notre Dame is looking for," Lemming said. "The height doesn't matter. What matters is the leg strength and the ability to break tackles."

Bernard plays at the same high school that produced current Irish players Sam Young, Dan Wenger, Ben Turk and Jordan Cowart.

Bernard is not the only Aquinas player being courted by the Irish. Lemming believes adding Bernard could help the Irish with teammates Brandon Linder, and offensive lineman, and cornerback LaMarcus Joyner. The Irish are also recruiting Aquinas cornerback Cody Riggs. All four visited officially for the Oct. 17 USC game.

Bernard would be the 17th player to commit to Notre Dame's recruiting class of 2010, and the second running back. Cameron Roberson of Newbury Park, Calif., committed last month.

notredomer23
10-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Yup, Lemming might be wrong, but I do not think he would say that if he didnt hear it from the horse's mouth. I like Bernard, and getting him helps a lot with Joyner because I know they are good freinds and it wouldnt hurt with Riggs and Linder

Riddickulous
10-25-2009, 03:38 PM
If he is committing, that would be great news.

WabashFalcon
10-25-2009, 03:47 PM
I didn't think he'd be the next recruit. Wow. Well now... when is he officially gonna come out and say it?

The Polish Irishman
10-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Would be a great get...rumor is starting to get some legs.

jason_h537
10-25-2009, 04:03 PM
i may be the only one who is not excited over this. we have limited space and alot of guys on d who are considering us

notredomer23
10-25-2009, 04:17 PM
i may be the only one who is not excited over this. we have limited space and alot of guys on d who are considering us

We were going to take one more RB either way. It was him or Jordan James, whoever pulls the trigger first. Its looking like Bernard pulled the trigger first

BGIF
10-25-2009, 04:59 PM

... and he's not from california.

Brown
10-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Love the commit -- even though he doesn't have a blue-chip star-rating (4 stars still very good), he has a blue-chip offer list.

IrishInFl
10-25-2009, 06:34 PM
He's from STA which is the current top football team in the country. He was predicted to go to FSU. I love to rub salt in FSU fans wounds! Go Irish!

NoJusticeNoPeace
10-25-2009, 11:25 PM
It's always nice to get an STA boy. Now lets get a few others.

NoJusticeNoPeace
10-25-2009, 11:26 PM

I would be shocked if we could get to 25, and even then we could fit 28 with EEs. I know Jones will be one but I'm not sure about anyone else though.

jason_h537
10-25-2009, 11:37 PM
no we only have room for 10 more commits

we are in it for
3 S's (Amerson, Parker, Riley)
4 CB's (Riggs, Shaw, Joyner, Hurd)
2 WR's (Prater, Cooper)
5 OL's (Henderson, James, Linder, Stone, Kuandjio)
2 Ath (Pullard, Barr)
4 DT's (Ferguson, Nix, Allen, Gaston)
2 RB's (James, Bernard)

That is already cutting it close

DoverShores
10-26-2009, 12:08 AM
I would be shocked if we could get to 25, and even then we could fit 28 with EEs. I know Jones will be one but I'm not sure about anyone else though.

I think Shaw wants too also... If he commits

Irishlew
10-26-2009, 01:05 AM
WNDU News in South Bend is reporting that he has committed.

sportallyr
10-26-2009, 01:41 AM

we are in it for
2 WR's (Prater, Cooper)
2 Ath (Pullard, Barr)
2 RB's (James, Bernard)

Boy, there are a lot of big names up there. If we fill out this class with 10 of those players, I will be ecstatic. I agree that this means that James is out. This will probably force a few guys that may be heavy leans to make their commitment official before their spot is taken by someone else (you listening Mr. Barr?). I, personally, would be willing to hold a scholorship and wait until NSD for big S. Henderson only. Everyone else on this list should be told that they might lose their offer if they get beat to the punch by someone else who plays the same position.

Domer4ever
10-26-2009, 04:39 AM

we are in it for
2 WR's (Prater, Cooper)
2 Ath (Pullard, Barr)
2 RB's (James, Bernard)

So if the Bernard rumors are true, that leaves us with only 9 spots open with a lot of big name need players still on the board? Wow, that is going to be tough.

Mavericknyc1980
10-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Welcome to ND Kid. Lets keep up the great work.

Irishlew
10-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Rumor is he's announcing today

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
10-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Sweet!

jmurphy75
10-26-2009, 09:04 AM
WNDU News in South Bend is reporting that he has committed.

Did he commit? I haven't seen it on rivals or scout yet

WabashFalcon
10-26-2009, 09:42 AM
1. When is he comming out to commit?

2. Add this sucker to the big board of recruits and change (Official Offer) to (ND Verbal).

NDinL.A.
10-26-2009, 10:06 AM
1. When is he comming out to commit?

2. Add this sucker to the big board of recruits and change (Official Offer) to (ND Verbal).

Will do, but it's not official yet, so don't want to jumo the gun and jinx it. Here's an article on it:

South Bend Tribune: Notre Dame Football: Recruit Bernard expected to commit to Irish (http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20091025/SPORTS13/910259959/0/SPORTS)

IrishInFl
10-26-2009, 10:54 AM
I think the most interesting thing about this commit (knock on wood) is the timing. The STA head coach usually advises all his players to take all their officials and wait until the high school season is over. We got Bernard to commit much earlier than expected (hopefully) and the fact that Joyner canceled all those visit leads me to believe that ND has a decent shot at him.

BGIF
10-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Did he commit? I haven't seen it on rivals or scout yet

I didn't find any commitment news on WNDU's website last night nor this morning. They may have reported the SBT/Lemming on a live broadcast but they haven't backed it up with an article that I can find. Don't see a headline on any of the recruiting services.

JefMaj
10-26-2009, 03:41 PM
When, when, when...
NBC Sports - College Football - Inside the Irish (http://irish.nbcsports.com/2009/10/irish-might-have-added-another-blue-chip-this-weekend.html.php)

aaronb
10-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Hopefully we can find at least

1 good OT
1 Free Safety type
1 good cover corner
1 Solid DT prospect

That should put us at 20 in the class and plenty of room for future growth.

More than that is just icing on the cake at this point.

JefMaj
10-26-2009, 03:56 PM
2010 class is one 5 star and a couple (3 or 4) of 4's away from top 5 status - that is if they all come home in February.

NDinMemphis
10-26-2009, 07:32 PM
FYI

Per scout.com the commitment is now public. They have an article running on their ND page. I think it is premium.

kjk184
10-26-2009, 07:33 PM
COMMITTED....per ISD Email

Steve Wiltfong is currently on the phone with running back Gio Bernard.
He's confirmed he has committed to Notre Dame. Steve will have an
interview up with Gio about his commitment shortly on the front page of
Irish Sports Daily.

DoverShores
10-26-2009, 07:34 PM
yeah I just saw on it on ESPN too

mbeckha
10-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Its true! its everywhere!

Brown
10-26-2009, 07:50 PM
I love the commit but we have so much depth at RB & WR -- I just wish badly we can get equally talented kids on the offensive and defensive line.

jason_h537
10-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Welcome abord Gio. I just found out he Yvenson Bernards brother, he was a really good back for the Beavers.

Irish4Life09
10-26-2009, 08:53 PM
I know this isnt the recruiting forum,so his will probably be moved.
But I'm just excited we just got this kid!
I watched him during the HS UnderArmour game and he looked very impressive. Cant wait to see this kid in an IRISH uniform.
Now if only we can pick up his buddy Riggs.Too bad his two favs are florida and georgia.
maybe this will help in us getting him?

Domer4ever
10-26-2009, 08:58 PM
YouTube - '10 FL HB Giovanni Bernard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBXGn-XldwU)

Here is a video of Gio. He looks a little bit like Noel Devine running the ball.

The Polish Irishman
10-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Awesome...Glad to have him...he is a stud back and one of the best players in Florida

irishandy
10-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Welcome to the Irish Gio, please no more RB offers or commits for the 2010 class.

vinnymac2402
10-26-2009, 09:36 PM
hell i would rather have joyner than riggs and according to all the recruiting sites we made up so serious ground with joyner

phork
10-26-2009, 09:48 PM
I love the commit but we have so much depth at RB & WR -- I just wish badly we can get equally talented kids on the offensive and defensive line.

Can never have enough depth at skill positions as our WR core has found this year.

Welcome to the club Gio!

JefMaj
10-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Welcome to the Notre Dame family... now with a few added D-lineman, O-lineman, and a couple killer safety types, along with a few corners, and a family linebacker (who's uncle can talk about him on the radio after the games..... and by the way, my son's name is Christian... and... could be a killer class... is headed that way.

domerfor life
10-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Can never have enough depth at skill positions as our WR core has found this year.

Welcome to the club Gio!

I agree with you.

IrishAddiction
10-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Welcome to the ND family Giovanni! Im very glad to see these high school students being smart and making wise forty year decisions!

WhoDeyIrish
10-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Yvenson Bernard his brother was ridiculous at Oregon State. I really wanted this kid too. I know a lot of people weren't really all that high on him, but I think he's a home run hitter. I think we got a solid player here. This recruiting class could get ridiculously good.

DirtySecret
10-26-2009, 10:19 PM
YouTube - '10 FL HB Giovanni Bernard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBXGn-XldwU)

Here is a video of Gio. He looks a little bit like Noel Devine running the ball.

YouTube - GIOVANNI BERNARD #26 ((2 DA House)) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHUeZPhybeY)

He has great balance doesn't go down easy after being hit.. I've want this kid since day one we offered him..

Irishlew
10-26-2009, 10:25 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mBXGn-XldwU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mBXGn-XldwU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

WhoDeyIrish
10-26-2009, 10:26 PM
I really think this is the beginning of a long string of great recruits coming here. He was just so anxious to get it out. I think Joyner, Henderson, and Prater follow suit. Would that be sick or what?

Irishlew
10-26-2009, 10:29 PM
I really think this is the beginning of a long string of great recruits coming here. He was just so anxious to get it out. I think Joyner, Henderson, and Prater follow suit. Would that be sick or what?

that would equal the # 1 class in the country, and the best in the Weis era.

WhoDeyIrish
10-26-2009, 10:30 PM

By Far.

WhoDeyIrish
10-26-2009, 10:32 PM

I think we still need to win out to get these guys though. 5-0 to finish the season. I guarantee we get 2 out of those 3 if we finish 5-0. Even better if we get to and win a BCS game.

BGIF
10-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Profile Updated

Riddickulous
10-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Gio!

wyvrn
10-27-2009, 07:15 AM

we are in it for
2 WR's (Prater, Cooper)
2 Ath (Pullard, Barr)
2 RB's (James, Bernard)

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I'll take any talent that wants to come. We would like to land 2 new DT and 3 new OL guys, but we don't have those commits right now. I am not sure we get to 25 players in this class.

JefMaj
10-27-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm just happy he's a Notre Dame guy - he wants to be here and those kids are a cut above the rest... takes a special kid. Proud to see a guy that was/is a ND guy - at any point in his life.

texas fighting irish
10-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Nice pick up for the irish hope we can land some of his teammates now.

WhoDeyIrish
10-30-2009, 03:33 AM
Nice pick up for the irish hope we can land some of his teammates now.

Me too..I think Linder is leaning us. Joyner I'm not so sure. I would love to have them both.

BGIF
11-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Joyner picked up the slack as backup RB while Bernard sat out the game.

BGIF
11-02-2009, 09:10 AM
The injury was a nagging hamstring that's been bothering him.

IrishAddiction
11-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Well that explains that. Classic ND recruit, gets an injury his senior year, but i guess at least its just a ham string. Coaches are smart to let it rest so he can come back strong late in the playoffs when it matters.

NDinMemphis
12-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Just curious, with Alford staying on as RB coach, does this firm up his commitment to the Irish?

jason_h537
12-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Couldnt hurt

Maddog77
12-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Per the ISD "RKG Report" they believe that even with him being in touch with Oregon State and Nebraska that he still ends up being Irish, FWIW.

Maddog77
01-02-2010, 02:47 PM
ISD is saying they haven't been able to contact Gio for weeks now and there are rumors swirling he's looking elsewhere.

tko
01-02-2010, 03:04 PM
ISD is saying they haven't been able to contact Gio for weeks now and there are rumors swirling he's looking elsewhere.

ahhh, perfect. this will be an interesting period from now til signing day.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Come on Gio, you made the right choice and you should stick with it!

The Polish Irishman
01-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Will visit UNC. Decision will come down to ND, UNC, and Oregon State per Rivals.com

He has stayed in connect with Alford and will speak to the new RB coach soon.

SoJerseyIrish
01-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Gio is a 'scratch and dent' player, he is coming to ND......they always do.

OchoShayneO
01-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Will visit UNC. Decision will come down to ND, UNC, and Oregon State per Rivals.com

He has stayed in connect with Alford and will speak to the new RB coach soon.

did I miss something? I thought Alford was the RB coach?

TerryTate
01-13-2010, 10:22 AM
did I miss something? I thought Alford was the RB coach?

Replaced by Tim Hinton. Alford coaches Wide Receivers now

The Polish Irishman
01-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Alford has been switched to WRs Coach

Gio would be a big loss, but we do have depth at the position.

OchoShayneO
01-13-2010, 10:42 AM
cool thanks for clearing that up for me

Riddickulous
01-15-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm hearing he's gone.

bert2834
01-15-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm hearing he's gone.

From where do you hear this?

SoJerseyIrish
01-15-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm hearing he's gone.

UGH.....don't tell me Butch Davis got this kid to go to UNC.......please say it isn't so!! I liked this one.

bornready85
01-15-2010, 05:09 PM
He's not gone.

His brother said that he doesn't think he's going to ND and that Gio was worried about the run percentage of Kelly's offenses. Keep in mind that his brother played for OSU and is actively trying to get him to OSU and this interview was at a Corvallis radio station.

WhoDeyIrish
01-16-2010, 04:30 AM
He's not gone.

His brother said that he doesn't think he's going to ND and that Gio was worried about the run percentage of Kelly's offenses. Keep in mind that his brother played for OSU and is actively trying to get him to OSU and this interview was at a Corvallis radio station.

Yvenson:jerkit:

timm3117
01-16-2010, 09:19 AM
His brother said that he doesn't think he's going to ND and that Gio was worried about the run percentage of Kelly's offenses.

Funny thing is yes Kelly's O had 41 less runs, but Cincy had 300 more yards rushing then we did. Call me crazy, but I would have rather been a back for Cincy, then for an ND team that averaged 3.5 yards per carry.

FightingIrishLover7
01-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Gio come on. Please play for Kelly. You'll get your caries eventually.

tko
01-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Good luck Gio. maybe send your ND gear down to Haiti to help those in need.

The Polish Irishman
01-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Got a visit from Kelly today...Hopefully this sures up his commitment. We will know soon enough.

WabashFalcon
01-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Scout's removed him from the ND verbal list...

HereComeTheIrish
01-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Excellent.....

{SARCASM}

vinnymac2402
01-19-2010, 10:58 PM
I just left Scout and they have him listed as a soft commit to ND

The Polish Irishman
01-19-2010, 11:25 PM
I would say he is gone at this point if he is going to take visits after his meeting with BK today.

HereComeTheIrish
01-19-2010, 11:27 PM
I would say he is gone at this point if he is going to take visits after his meeting with BK today.

Correct in my estimation as well.

BGIF
01-20-2010, 01:06 PM

He could be another 10 percenter.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-20-2010, 04:40 PM
ESPN reports he will be visiting North Carolina and Oregon State. I completely understand the OSU visit what with his brother going there, but the North Carolina visit is interesting. I guess they could use a quality RB down there. I don't want to lose this kid but you gotta do what you gotta do.

If he does leave, callup Jordon James and let him know the spot is open again and that he can come play for the school that will beat USC next year.

BGIF
01-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Jake Brown at IrishIllustrated reports Kelly and Hinton made an inhome visit to Bernard Tuesday night. This was the first face to face contact with the new coaching staff. Bernard will still make visits to ORSt and UNC.

vernfootball1
01-24-2010, 05:28 PM
decomitted per isd, but says he is still considering us, and will make decision this week

sportallyr
01-24-2010, 05:42 PM
I'd be pissed if he left and we didn't get any other running backs this class. We really need to get 2 RB this class with both Hughes and Allen leaving after next year.

tko
01-24-2010, 06:29 PM
good luck kid

Tate the Great
01-24-2010, 06:47 PM
I'd be pissed if he left and we didn't get any other running backs this class. We really need to get 2 RB this class with both Hughes and Allen leaving after next year.

It wouldn't be too much of an issue...if you didn't realize Jonas Gray still has a couple years of eligibility, 3 years of eligibility left for Theo Riddick, and Cierre Wood still has all 4 years of eligibility left after being red shirted this year...so if we need running backs, we will particularly need them next year and the year after.

Irish.Ca
01-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Gio WAS a great prospect. He still IS a good prospect but who knows what he'll be like after the injury fully heals (haven't heard he's 100% yet). We have a pretty full stable of backs at this point before adding any this year. I would agree that its a position that you don't want to miss at any year but we're not looking at it as we are O-Line and Safety. I really hope we have another 5 early enrollee's next January to bolster this class even further!

lovetheirish
01-24-2010, 07:47 PM
decommitted, scout says no interest in nd

I Dont Miss Charlie
01-24-2010, 07:51 PM

Possibly.

I doubt he would still consider coming to Notre Dame after decommiting following a visit by Brian Kelly.

irish4ever
01-24-2010, 08:27 PM

His loss!

sportallyr
01-25-2010, 12:22 AM
So, I guess our pipeline from Saint Thomas Acquinas left with Weis.

irishmarine
01-25-2010, 02:30 AM
Looks like the decommits are starting to stack up. Not a good feeling but we will see what BK can do with a full cycle next year. Until then I am still fully supporting mr Kelly and his staff.

jason_h537
01-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Sucks. Guess that means Roberson will get more touches.

irishandy
01-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Hopefully we can keep the good recruiting pipeline at his school in the future.

Junkhead
01-27-2010, 10:52 PM
Quoted from South Bend Tribune.com..."There has been no official word about running back Giovanni Bernard's status with Irish, but the status of his commitment will likely be cleared up Thursday. Bernard committed to the Irish but last weekend visited North Carolina and also is involved with Oregon State."

The Polish Irishman
01-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Giovanni Bernard - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/broward/fl-gio-bernard-0128,0,5010915.story)

fitz_bu47
01-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Good luck to him, I understand he didn't verbal to Coach Kelly or this offense.

tko
01-28-2010, 05:42 PM
good luck kid

Ben E.
01-28-2010, 06:02 PM
butch davis!!!! hahahahahahaha good luck is right! he'll need it!

woolybug25
08-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Bad break, kid. Gio tore his ACL and is out for the season.

http://http://www.tarheeltimes.com/article26221.aspx (http://www.tarheeltimes.com/article26221.aspx)

mgriff
08-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Aww that sucks. Hopefully he can take this time to learn the offense and put himself in a great mental position to succeed next year.

tko
08-09-2010, 03:09 PM
i get pissed when we lose out on recruits etc, but hate to see a guy get injured. agree mgriff, learn the system, take care of academic work and get healed and ready to compete.

beryirish
09-24-2011, 04:21 PM
rushed for 150 yards and 2 TDs.....blast him!

...just thought I'd share

NDPhilly
09-24-2011, 04:23 PM
rushed for 150 yards and 2 TDs.....blast him!

...just thought I'd share

What a 3 headed monster that would have been

Buster Bluth
02-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Rumors that he will transfer to Ohio State are out there.

**** Urban Meyer, if true.

Rack Em
02-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Rumors that he will transfer to Ohio State are out there.

**** Urban Meyer, if true.

He's not the same style running back as Ty Isaac, but in theory that could help us land him for depth reasons. Also, maybe it'll **** off Jaylon Smith's brother too.

C'mon Urban. Be the underhanded douche we all know you are.

NDPhilly
02-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Was hoping when this came up that he was transferring to ND.

Rack Em
02-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Was hoping when this came up that he was transferring to ND.

But he doesn't want to be in this offense, that's why he decommitted in the first place. Pretty sure he wanted to be in an offense that is closer to pro style than ours.

Anyway given our new found depth at RB (Wood, Riddick, Atkinson, Roberson, Mahone, Carlisle, and possible Russell) I don't think the staff would take him nor would want him. We're in a good position with elite RBs this cycle like Green and Isaac. Like I said above, his move to Ohio State a piece of the puzzle that helps us land Isaac or Jaylon Smith via Urbie pissing off his brother.

He's a great RB, don't get me wrong, but RB isn't such a priority that we'd take a transfer right now.

NDPhilly
02-21-2012, 07:39 PM
I know we are in good position with Green now but if we go 8-4 while UF and FSU go 10-2 or better I really don't see him choosing ND.

NDhoosier
02-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Then lets just win 11+ games and put ourselves in the best position we can.

KPENN
10-28-2012, 02:29 AM
I know ND has some good backs but damn, it'd be nice seeing this kid wearing one of those shiny good helmets.

Whiskeyjack
10-28-2012, 02:35 AM
I know ND has some good backs but damn, it'd be nice seeing this kid wearing one of those shiny good helmets.

Absolutely. One of the few I really regret missing on.

Teomonsternd
10-28-2012, 02:38 AM
There's only 1 ball and I'd rather have it in Wood and Riddicks hands.

KPENN
10-28-2012, 02:40 AM
There's only 1 ball and I'd rather have it in Wood and Riddicks hands.

Wood? Maybe. Riddick? Absolutely not. Honest question, have you watched him play at all?

Irishnuke
10-28-2012, 02:49 AM
Bernard is better than all of our backs but I wouldn't trade our guys for him.

Ironman8
11-10-2012, 02:32 PM
This kid is simply a great, great football player. Really wish we could have hung onto him.

irishff1014
11-10-2012, 03:01 PM
This kid is simply a great, great football player. Really wish we could have hung onto him.

Tar heels suck.

woolybug25
11-10-2012, 03:05 PM
It really is a shame that his talent is being wasted at UNC. He's a fantastic player that would have been part of something great here.

tko
12-14-2012, 04:34 PM
heading to NFL.

PLACforever
12-14-2012, 04:40 PM
smart move

tadman95
12-14-2012, 09:04 PM
May be the first RB taken in the draft according to some talking heads.

ThePiombino
12-14-2012, 09:41 PM
What could have been.

KPENN
11-01-2013, 06:34 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1893393/giotd.gif

GoldenIsThyFame
11-01-2013, 07:25 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1893393/giotd.gif

Eifert with a horrid block attempt

clashmore_mike
11-01-2013, 07:59 PM