PDA

View Full Version : '10 FL CB Cody Riggs (Notre Dame Transferee)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Irishlew
02-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Cornerback
Ft. Lauderdale (FL) St. Thomas Aquinas

Ht: 5-9
Wt: 170
40: 4.43
Bench: 215
Vertical: 36
GPA: 3.8
Test: 1210

Ranking:
Rivals: :s::s::s::s:, #5 CB, Rating 5.9
Scout: :s::s::s::s:, #7 CB
ESPN: :s::s::s::s:, #7 CB, Grade 81

Statistics:
'08 (Jr.) 25 Tackles, 8 INT, 25 Pass breakups.

Offers:
Florida
Georgia
Notre Dame
Tennessee

FSU
Boston College
Mississippi
Purdue
Rutgers
South Carolina
Wake Forest
Wisconsin

Visits:
UF (OV 11/27), UTN (OV 9/11), UGA (OV 10/02), ND (OV 10/17)

ND Recruiter: Brown/Parmalee

Decision: 9/10/09 Florida
Links:

YouTube - Top High School Cornerback - #2 Cody Riggs - St. Thomas Aquinas High School, Ft. Lauderdale, FL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Ahi5049Ew&feature=player_embedded)

Irishlew
02-14-2009, 06:15 PM
same HS as Sam Young, Dan Wenger, Ben Turk , Jordan Cowart, and 2010 offered prospect Brandon Linder. He received an offer yesterday.

Irishlew
02-14-2009, 06:17 PM
He is also good friends with Armando Allen, Riggs' step dad coached Armando in track.

irishmarine
02-14-2009, 09:17 PM
its gonna be really hard to pull a cb from florida. we got manti so there is a chance but they are gonna have to put in overtime

Stalking_Eagle
02-15-2009, 02:30 AM
its gonna be really hard to pull a cb from florida. we got manti so there is a chance but they are gonna have to put in overtime

At least we can truely believe we have a shot to pull a player from Flordia's mits. The Davieham era would just have written him off immediately.

irishmarine
02-15-2009, 03:11 AM
and now we all have faith that anything is possible.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
02-17-2009, 02:19 AM
I think Riggs is an absolute possibility. Lamarcus Joyner will be the much harder pull in my opinion, but it seems that Weis has established a pipeline to St. Thomas Aquinas which can do nothing but pay dividends considering it is a national powerhouse.

irishmarine
02-17-2009, 02:41 AM
its possible but its gonna be tough is all im saying

NDinL.A.
03-06-2009, 10:49 PM
I think Riggs is an absolute possibility. Lamarcus Joyner will be the much harder pull in my opinion, but it seems that Weis has established a pipeline to St. Thomas Aquinas which can do nothing but pay dividends considering it is a national powerhouse.

Well, the guys that run a Florida State website (tomahawknation.com) say we are FSU's main competition, with ND actually being in the lead...

IrishInFl
03-07-2009, 02:43 AM
Well, the guys that run a Florida State website (tomahawknation.com) say we are FSU's main competition, with ND actually being in the lead...

I know the owner of warchant.com. I'll ask him what he knows about this. Although he always gives me crap about being a ND fan...

brownkj002
03-07-2009, 10:06 PM
He is also the nephew of former ND player Bobby Brown.

OCIrish
03-07-2009, 11:30 PM

I hope that helps...

IHateMarkMay
03-08-2009, 09:25 AM

Well if ND is that kid's prerogative... haha

MirageSmack
03-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I know the owner of warchant.com. I'll ask him what he knows about this. Although he always gives me crap about being a ND fan...

Looks like you have a little ammo to shoot back his way right now. :wink: Probably tough to be a FSU fan these days. Just glad my home state UK Wildcats beat em in that bowl game, even though we would have been given that win this week anyway.

Irishlew
03-30-2009, 01:20 PM
his HL video has been added...this kid is a stud.

IrishInFl
03-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Looks like you have a little ammo to shoot back his way right now. :wink: Probably tough to be a FSU fan these days. Just glad my home state UK Wildcats beat em in that bowl game, even though we would have been given that win this week anyway.

I know, and I want to make fun of FSU, but then say that ND has not done that much lately either. The best part of knowing the guy is that I get to hangout with the FSU cowgirls :)

dyrtdogg
03-31-2009, 03:54 AM
The best part of knowing the guy is that I get to hangout with the FSU cowgirls :)

Umm, that might be worth biting your tongue when it comes to FSU. Call a guy disloyal if you will, but a wise man knows when to pick his battles.

NDinL.A.
04-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Here's a video on him from Rivals. He talks about coming to ND for the spring game, and how he camped here last summer. Also said we were the first to offer him, and that's one of the big reasons he's coming out for the game. It's nice to be mentioned, but he also talks about FSU and other schools. We're in the mix, but he's going to be a tough pull IMO.

AMP: Riggs blankets the competition - Rivals.com Video (http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/amp-riggs-blankets-the-competition-48735)

But dude has some serious cover skills...

NDinL.A.
04-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Had a fantastic visit and has ND as his early leader. But he's going to Ohio St's spring game this weekend, and is also high on FL and Wake Forest, among others. Won't commit until fall at earliest...

NDinL.A.
05-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Very good news with him:

1) He wasn't even ranked in the initial Rivals 250, and now in the latest Rivals 100, he's all the way up to being ranked #43. Kid's a stud all of a sudden (LOL).

2) Rivals still has him as saying that ND is his leader right now, even after his other unofficials. He also says he plans on taking all of his officials before making his decision.

3) Has ND as 'High" on his list, while every other school is at 'Medium". Doesn't mean he's ours by any means, but it is still nice to be the leader at this point. If we win ball games, we'll be that much closer to getting him...

GOLDENISTHYTATE
05-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah I saw his sudden rise on the Rivals list. Come on Cody, keep that pipeline going!

jason_h537
05-06-2009, 01:14 AM
This might be only the second time i have seen a Notre Dame lean or commit rise in Rivals rankings.

IrishInFl
05-06-2009, 02:36 AM
Dude, he's going to ND! Mike from flavarsity.com guaranteed me this. He almost committed at the spring game, but decided to take other visits.

jason_h537
05-06-2009, 04:15 AM
he better be... cuz im holdin you accountable
:violent:

IrishInFl
05-06-2009, 09:36 AM
he better be... cuz im holdin you accountable
:violent:

Even though I am confident that we will get Riggs, you still never know. It would have been better if he committed at the spring game, like he was expected to. I also think ND has a great shot at getting his fellow STAQ teammate Linder. Unfortunately Joyner looks out of our reach :(

jason_h537
05-06-2009, 02:12 PM
If both Riggs and Linder commit, nextrounds on me guys

WabashFalcon
05-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Jack Daniels, Double. Plez.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
05-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Yeah just tell me where to show up for this round and I will be there

jason_h537
05-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Easy guys lets get him to commit first

IrishInFl
05-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Corner Pocket. Tallahassee. Drinks on me.

jason_h537
05-19-2009, 12:09 AM
According to Rivals, Riggs doesnt plan on commiting until after next season once he makes all of his official visits. Sorry to dissapoint anyone who thought he might be that next commit we have been hearing about

IrishInFl
05-19-2009, 12:32 AM
From what I've heard, I would be shocked if Riggs does not commit to ND.

BGIF
05-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Interesting snippet from Mike Farrell 5/20:

... Cody Riggs reportedly wants to commit to Notre Dame, but longtime Aquinas coach George Smith isn't big on his players making such early decisions and wants his players to see numerous schools before deciding.

I recall a similar comment about the Aquinas coach during Young's (1/19/06 verbal) or Wenger's (12/7/06) recruitment. I also believe Turk commented on his coach's commitment preference but he declared early (6/11/08) anyway.

Clausen2Kamara
05-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Yea that is an interesting philosophy...I guess he just wants them to be sure and not be one of those recruits who verbals to 3 diff teams...It's understandable.

jason_h537
05-21-2009, 10:57 PM
I think its a good philosophy. Helps reduce decommitments, and is one that the Irish practice for the most part. Still would be niceto get a commitment though. Hopefully Riggs is in Linder's ear as well.

WabashFalcon
05-22-2009, 01:10 AM
When I committed to Wabash, I waited until after the football season. I enjoyed finishing my season before going around and making my educated visits. The whole early recruit thing astounds me.

jason_h537
05-22-2009, 01:28 AM
a rivals premium article has Riggs saying he told both Corwin Brown and Permarlee that they dont have to spend so much effort recruiting him, hes solid. They can focus on other recruits because he isnt going anywhere

GOLDENISTHYTATE
05-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Man I hope thats true Jason

BGIF
05-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Yea that is an interesting philosophy...I guess he just wants them to be sure and not be one of those recruits who verbals to 3 diff teams...It's understandable.

Good philosophy but the coach's view may not be purely altruistic. I don't think he's big on his players making visits in season as he feels they're disruptive to HIS season. He wants his players time devoted to his team not gallivanting cross-country. Also understandable.

I believe Wenger committed at or just after ND's Banquet. Young was a January visit I think.

BGIF
05-22-2009, 07:38 PM
a rivals premium article has Riggs saying he told both Corwin Brown and Permarlee that they dont have to spend so much effort recruiting him, hes solid. They can focus on other recruits because he isnt going anywhere

Great report but I hope they don't but it.

Ever have a girl friend? A wife?

She may say, "I know you love me. You don't have to buy me presents or flowers or tell me every day to prove it."

Yes, she knows you love her but she wonders if you do as much as you did yesterday.

NDinL.A.
05-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Well, Riggs finally got the offer he was waiting for, from FL. Now he says he doesn't have a leader, according to Rivals.

But don't lose faith, we're still good here, and he will take his official with us, and he still loves ND. But now it's a 2 horse race with ND and FL. He always said he was going to wait until he took all 5 officials to make a decision, and that remains the same...

Polish Leppy 22
05-28-2009, 02:41 PM
who is handling his recruitment?

goldandblue
05-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Coach Brown and Parmalee

IrishAddiction
05-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Man i dont like it when UM gets in the race. He is one guy who is hand for hand just as good a recruiter as CW, maybe better. Just IMO.

Rizzophil
05-28-2009, 05:42 PM
How many corner's do the Gators have committed right now???

IrishAddiction
05-28-2009, 05:57 PM
according to scout, they have 6 DBs committed so far, but only one is listed as a corner, the rest are safetys. rivals has 4 DBs listed, but two others are listed as Athletes.

jason_h537
05-28-2009, 11:07 PM
I wonder how Urban will play his recruitment? Hopefully Corwin Brown will keep his head straight. Wheres IrishinFL when you need him?

IrishInFl
05-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Don't worry, I'll give you the scoop Saturday, maybe Friday if I get back from the bar early. I don't how much Gene knows though, because Riggs has shown little interest in FSU. If I'm lucky Michael Langston (flavarsity.com) will be there, but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that.

BGIF
06-01-2009, 10:36 AM
6/1 Riggs Steps Back

Steve Hare IrishIllustrated.com

When Cody Riggs left South Bend in April after checking out Notre Dame during its annual Blue-Gold Game, the 5-9, 156 CB from Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., was clear on where he ranked the Irish. He called Notre Dame his leader. That was before the four-star prospect picked up offers from Georgia and Florida. Now the Irish may be back where they started.

Irishlew
06-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Riggs stated that because of the Georgia and Florida offers he has no favorite anymore. He said he does plan on visiting ND in the fall on an OV.

OCIrish
06-01-2009, 04:32 PM
I think he'll end up Irish in the end.

The Polish Irishman
06-01-2009, 05:25 PM
We win, he is Irish. If we pull the past two years, then.......................

jason_h537
06-01-2009, 06:30 PM
It appears he is flattered by the attention but he has built a great relationship with Corwin Brown and loves the campus and tradition. Still think he ends up wearing the Gold and Blue

BGIF
06-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Riggs stated that because of the Georgia and Florida offers he has no favorite anymore. He said he does plan on visiting ND in the fall on an OV.

As long as they visit.

BGIF
06-01-2009, 07:11 PM
It appears he is flattered by the attention but he has built a great relationship with Corwin Brown and loves the campus and tradition. Still think he ends up wearing the Gold and Blue

He should be flattered. I'm more skeptical than you. This is a prime time challenge for Corwin against the Gators.

jason_h537
06-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Visited Florida. Said the coaches kept trying to pitch coaching stability. That you cant be sure if the coaches are gonna be there next yearat those "other" schools. Riggs still loves Notre Dame ut Florida does have his ear.

IrishInFl
06-14-2009, 02:15 AM
UPDATE!!!

I talked to Mike Langston from flavarsity.com at the bar tonight (which is rare to see him there). He talked to Riggs today, and he said that the visit to UF went good. Not great, grand or wonderful, just good. And the recruiting pitch was NOT coaching stability, it was depth, as the best cb on the team has gotten into trouble lately. Also Riggs has an uncle who played for ND, which I did not know at all.

BTW, Lo Wood is not coming to camp, but Spencer Boyd may.

BGIF
06-14-2009, 02:28 AM
...Also Riggs has an uncle who played for ND, which I did not know at all.

Bobby Brown played for ND '96 - '99 was a split end early and later a FL.

jason_h537
06-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Riggs said in his rivals article that Urban kepttalking about coaching stability. Either way hope that good meant good and not just him playing it cool.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
06-14-2009, 03:38 AM
UPDATE!!!

I talked to Mike Langston from flavarsity.com at the bar tonight (which is rare to see him there). He talked to Riggs today, and he said that the visit to UF went good. Not great, grand or wonderful, just good. And the recruiting pitch was NOT coaching stability, it was depth, as the best cb on the team has gotten into trouble lately. Also Riggs has an uncle who played for ND, which I did not know at all.

BTW, Lo Wood is not coming to camp, but Spencer Boyd may.

Thanks for the info! Go Irish!

jason_h537
06-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Premium Rivals article has Riggs saying his top two are now Georgia and Florida

Just a month ago, Riggs stated the Notre Dame Fighting Irish definitely lead for his services after having a great visit with their coaching staff and bonding well with Notre Dame assistant coach Corvin Brown. But now that Georgia and Florida are now at the top of his list, did geography have something to do with his new favorites?

"Yes I would say it has because both are in the South and not too far from home. I'm not sure the coaching situation with Notre Dame is also stable, so that's something I need to focus on. I know Notre Dame is going to be one of the official visits I take. That's something I would like to feel comfortable about because I don't want to be in a situation where the coaches leave and your stuck somewhere with a new set of coaches to start with."

tko
06-14-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm not sure the coaching situation with Notre Dame is also stable, so that's something I need to focus on. I know Notre Dame is going to be one of the official visits I take. That's something I would like to feel comfortable about because I don't want to be in a situation where the coaches leave and your stuck somewhere with a new set of coaches to start with."

wonder who is feeding him this kind of stuff

jason_h537
06-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Urban Meyer

tko
06-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Urban Meyer

precisely.

WabashFalcon
06-14-2009, 11:19 PM
I fucking hate that guy.

BGIF
06-15-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure the coaching situation with Notre Dame is also stable, so that's something I need to focus on. I know Notre Dame is going to be one of the official visits I take. That's something I would like to feel comfortable about because I don't want to be in a situation where the coaches leave and your stuck somewhere with a new set of coaches to start with."

wonder who is feeding him this kind of stuff

Notre Dame fans. Read any ND board.

Anybody's "Coaches Hot Seat" List.

Probably every program competing with ND, subtly or overtly.

Throw in ESPN, Sporting News, Scout, Rivals, Lemming, South Bend Times, Chicago Tribune, and other papers, magazines, and TV sportscasts from coast to coast.

Charlie's own words that he discussed it with his family.

Any recruit that doesn't know that Weis's position is under scrutiny doesn't have the wits necessary to pass ND Admission.

jason_h537
06-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Named a top five on Rivals today
Florida
Georgia
Florida St
Tennessee
Notre Dame

NDinL.A.
07-08-2009, 04:50 PM
He spoke to ISD today. He will visit for the USC game (yet another important player at that game...it just gets bigger and bigger). He will take all 5 visits before making his decision. His top 5 is the same, but he put them in order:

Georgia
ND
FL
Tenn
FSU

Surprising right? ND has moved ahead of FL, in thanks to the persistance of Corwin Brown, who has emailed Riggs every day, without fail. He also said that Georgia is not that far ahead of ND (but to their credit, they still are in the lead; better than having FL there!!!)

BGIF
07-08-2009, 05:07 PM
... His top 5 is the same, but he put them in order:

Georgia
ND
FL
Tenn
FSU

One outlier.

notredomer23
07-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Gotta say, ND should have a much better season than UGA this year. I think ND will wrap this one up

BGIF
07-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Gotta say, ND should have a much better season than UGA this year. I think ND will wrap this one up

Much better? Phil Steel has ND #7 and UGA #13

notredomer23
07-08-2009, 06:41 PM
UGA lost their skill players on offense to the draft. Knowshon and Stafford made up the bulk of their offense. They return 15 starters, but until they can prove they can move the ball efectively in the SEC I don't see them winning more than 8 games with their schedule maybe 9.

They have 3 likely losses in OK State, LSU, and Florida, and then Georgia Tech will be a good game, as well as maybe Arizona State and Tenn

jason_h537
07-08-2009, 10:55 PM
This kid won't commit for a long time from now so we can take a breath, focus on O-Line

BGIF
07-09-2009, 01:33 AM
UGA lost their skill players on offense to the draft. Knowshon and Stafford made up the bulk of their offense. They return 15 starters, but until they can prove they can move the ball efectively in the SEC I don't see them winning more than 8 games with their schedule maybe 9.

They have 3 likely losses in OK State, LSU, and Florida, and then Georgia Tech will be a good game, as well as maybe Arizona State and Tenn

Arkansas should also give them a tough game. They could lose 7 and stay home at bowl time. With a Senior QB and a solid OLine they could end up in the Chick-Fil-A or Capital One Bowls.

UGA doing poorly could be a plus to a CB like Riggs. ND has a better, deeper CB corps.

On the other hand if he has NFL aspirations, at ND he'd be practicing every day against Clausen, Crist, Tate, Floyd, et al.

IrishInFl
07-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Riggs is still Irish IMO. Now Spencer Boyd, Georgia has a real shot to get him.

BGIF
07-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Riggs is still Irish IMO. Now Spencer Boyd, Georgia has a real shot to get him.

I hope your right.

jason_h537
07-09-2009, 01:51 AM
Personally liked Spencer Boyd over Lo Wood so it would suck if he goes UGA. Would quickly forget it if we get Cody Riggs and Joshua Shaw though. it'll be interesting to see how this all turns out.

BGIF
07-09-2009, 01:53 AM
Personally liked Spencer Boyd over Lo Wood so it would suck if he goes UGA. Would quickly forget it if we get Cody Riggs and Joshua Shaw though. it'll be interesting to see how this all turns out.

How many CBs do you see ND taking in this class?

jason_h537
07-09-2009, 01:57 AM
I still say three, this isn't DT where they would be willing to stack a position of need. I doubt the staff turning away Cody Riggs or Joshua Shaw commiting if the Irish already have three on board, but it would depend on how many guys are commited to the class already.

IrishInFl
07-09-2009, 01:59 AM
How many scholarships are available?

BGIF
07-09-2009, 02:05 AM
I still say three, this isn't DT where they would be willing to stack a position of need. I doubt the staff turning away Cody Riggs or Joshua Shaw commiting if the Irish already have three on board, but it would depend on how many guys are commited to the class already.

I could see three if one is a swing man like Shaw or Rodgers that have the body to grow into a Safety. I don't see a third 5-9, 5-10 CB in the same class.

jason_h537
07-09-2009, 02:07 AM
i think they are willing to take around 25 guys this year, which is a full class.

BGIF
07-09-2009, 02:17 AM
How many scholarships are available?

ND could take a full 25 depending on how many 5th year players are brought back. Losses to injury, academics, or ResLife, or transfers obviously won't be known until the end of the Fall semester.

Wood is supposed to be an EE (Early Entrance) and there could be others. There is space in the previous class to accomodate EEs so the number could rise above 25 if CW desires, and the talent warrants it.

BGIF
07-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Aquinas’ Riggs Narrowing His Choices | Gridironstuds.com Blog (http://www.gridironstuds.com/blog/aquinas-riggs-narrowing-his-choices/)

7/11 Article, I didn't see a byline.

Georgia is the leader. I got along with their entire coach staff, especially Coach Martinez and Coach Richt.

He likes the coaching staff, campus, and the program's direction. UF's campus and facilities impressed him more but ...

Georgia is redoing their weight room and everything was brand new. They are doing a lot of good things at Georgia.

Riggs notes practicing against two former teammates WRs Duron Carter and Dwayne Difton "helped mold him into the cornerback he is today."

IF he comes to ND he can practice against America's best receiver's to help mold him into all the cornerback he can be.

IrishInFl
07-12-2009, 02:57 PM
I still think we end up getting Riggs. He has been wanting to commit for months now, as his coach does not want his players to commit before the season for some reason, including Lamarcus Joyner, who is a silent verbal to FSU.

DirtySecret
07-12-2009, 02:58 PM
IF he comes to ND he can practice against America's best receiver's to help mold him into all the cornerback he can be.

I do agree here.. Depending on how Jimmy does this year Tate and Floyd will have s great year(pray they don't get injuried). While we have Evans and Walker with Toma ect.. coming in..

IrishInFl
07-12-2009, 03:03 PM
We also have one of the best TE core in the country, so that's some extra receiving power.

NDinL.A.
07-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Might be some good news with him. CB Nickell Roby committed to Georgia, giving them another DB recruit. It's unclear whether or not Georgia will take another DB, but with both FL's and Georgia's secondaries getting full quickly, it will be interesting to see if they will leave room for a talent like Riggs, even if they are already full. My guess is that they would leave a spot open, but you never know, especially with Urban Liar...

BGIF
07-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Might be some good news with him. CB Nickell Roby committed to Georgia, giving them another DB recruit. It's unclear whether or not Georgia will take another DB, but with both FL's and Georgia's secondaries getting full quickly, it will be interesting to see if they will leave room for a talent like Riggs, even if they are already full. My guess is that they would leave a spot open, but you never know, especially with Urban Liar...

Could be an influencing factor.

Rizzophil
07-21-2009, 05:21 PM
I wonder if Riggs will think the same thing with us if we take J Shaw before Riggs' decides on his destination...

BGIF
07-21-2009, 09:16 PM
I wonder if Riggs will think the same thing with us if we take J Shaw before Riggs' decides on his destination...

Do you think ND would take 4 corners?

Shaw has the frame to grow into a Safety but if he has his heart set on CB why would ND take 4 corners?

I suspect that if Riggs or Shaw verbal to ND, CB shopping season is over.

texas fighting irish
07-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Who is in the lead for riggs i heard we are on the outside looking in. didnt we have him as a lock at some point.

jason_h537
07-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Article on Rivals today says Florida is in the lead with UGA 2 and ND 3. Said he loves Corwin Brown

WabashFalcon
07-27-2009, 10:18 PM
How can one LOVE Corwin Brown but have Urban Lier in the driving seat?

NDinNM
07-27-2009, 10:34 PM
If he almost commited at the spring game, it shows that he loves the campus. I think that once he comes for his OV he will come to his senses and put ND on top

jason_h537
07-27-2009, 10:38 PM
well this may upset somepeople but he could love a coach more than the school

WabashFalcon
07-28-2009, 12:24 AM
I love this kid damn it. He was the first corner that I wanted.

texas fighting irish
07-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Maybe they should send Martin to talk to him.lol

BGIF
08-11-2009, 04:17 AM
8/10 Bill Kurelic

Midwest recruiting Blog - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=Midwest_Recruiting)

Charlie Weis is hoping to land teammates DB Cody Riggs, OL Brandon Linder and RB Giovanni Bernard (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla./St. Thomas Aquinas). All three are planning to make official visits to ND, though it is not certain at this point if they will all do so at the same time.

Riggs has narrowed his choices down to ND UF FSU UGA and UTN and has scheduled 5 officials. He'll be at FSU v MIA on 9/7, UTN v UCLA on 9/12, UF v UTN on 9/19, UGA v LSU 9/12, and ND v USC on 10/17. ND gets the last visit.

I'll take all five visits,. Then I'll probably decide right after the last one. Florida is my favorite.The others are all even after that.

jason_h537
08-11-2009, 08:07 PM
I like that we are his last visit.

WabashFalcon
08-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Oh Cody... make up your mind.
Oh Cody... you make me feel alive.
Oh Cody... let my wish be true.
Oh Cody... play in gold and blue.

Polish Leppy 22
08-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Oh Cody...please think wabashfalcon is a hot chick at ND

Just kidding man

BGIF
10-14-2009, 04:46 AM
Riggs dropped out of Rivals 100

Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Two new five-star prospects in the Rivals100 (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1001293)

BGIF
10-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Recruiting Thoughts Written by Brian Smith 20 October 2009
Recruiting Thoughts (http://irishsportsdaily.com/blogs/smittys-blog/1098-recruiting-thoughts)

Cody Riggs – I have yet to hear specifics about how Riggs felt about his visit to Notre Dame.

No news yet.

The Polish Irishman
10-20-2009, 08:19 PM
According to Irish Sports Daily:

Florida is still his leader and has an official set for Nov. 28th.

The Polish Irishman
10-22-2009, 02:39 PM
According to Rivals:

Everyone is now even, but has yet to take his official to UF

t3hjc
10-28-2009, 12:22 AM
Cody was on CBS College Sports tonight, if anyone caught it. We're in his final four(Florida, Georgia, ND, Tennesee), though I think Florida's still got to be considered the favorite.

Big23Head
10-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Interesting article at Volnation, take it for what its worth:

Cody Riggs appears to be running out of options. Even UT has guys ahead of him that they would take first. UF is in much the same stage. The younger brother of former Vol running back Gerald Riggs was also reportedly told by Georgia that he was “on hold” when he tried to commit. He has proclaimed Florida his leader so often it looks as if he is almost begging for a scholarship.

Irish.Ca
10-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Interesting article at Volnation, take it for what its worth:

That is one of the strangest things I've read in a long time.

JefMaj
10-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Lists are filling up - many could find themselves the odd man out - there are a lot of schools in the SEC... he may fit in.

The Polish Irishman
10-30-2009, 09:45 AM
He will stay in the Southeast.

IrishInFl
10-30-2009, 10:24 AM
He's the odd man out because he's either under preforming, or just stinks. My guess is because Joyner is so good, teams always throw in Riggs direction. I went to the STA vs. Byrnes (SC) game, and was not impressed by Riggs. If we got Riggs, he would be the least impressive get at CB, IMO.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
10-30-2009, 03:05 PM
He's the odd man out because he's either under preforming, or just stinks. My guess is because Joyner is so good, teams always throw in Riggs direction. I went to the STA vs. Byrnes (SC) game, and was not impressed by Riggs. If we got Riggs, he would be the least impressive get at CB, IMO.

How was it to be at that game IrishINFl? That game was full of blue chippers. STA has what, five or six guys with D-1 schollies? I'm with you on Riggs, the kid seems to not be as good as advertised. Our two commits, Boyd and Wood, have been getting rave reviews all season.

I'll take Joyner or Shaw at this point, Joyner for his speed and Shaw for his height.

IrishInFl
10-30-2009, 03:31 PM
It was like nothing I've ever experienced in HS football. Being from Minnesota, we didn't have nearly the atmosphere as here in Florida. There was definetly a differance in atmosphere from here (Tallahassee) then there (south Florida). It was strange going to a HS game with more fans then my 2009 D2 national champions Minnesota-Duluth.

People who saw the game on tv could tell you how Riggs got picked on. He just seemed very overrated IMO. Joyner was impressive, but the best player on the field was on the losing team (Byrnes, SC), Marcus Lattimore.

Polish Leppy 22
11-29-2009, 10:40 AM
He is not coming to ND.

NDinL.A.
11-29-2009, 10:44 AM
He is not coming to ND.

Old news...he's been off ND's radar for over a month...

Polish Leppy 22
11-29-2009, 10:46 AM
My bad. I didn't look at the older posts.

jason_h537
12-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Per Rivals

Committed to Florida

BGIF
12-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Per ESPN

ESPNU 150 cornerback Cody Riggs has committed to sign with Florida over Georgia and Tennessee, ESPN's JC Shurburtt reports. Riggs officially visited the Gators, Bulldogs, Vols and Notre Dame.

Florida State, Ohio State, Miami-FL, Wake Forest, Wisconsin, Rutgers, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Boston College, Duke, Pittsburgh and UConn amongst others also offered

IrishInFl
12-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Not a big deal. Saw him play live. He stinks.

jason_h537
12-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Not a big deal. Saw him play live. He stinks.

You said he was ours!!!!!!

IrishInFl
12-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Hey, at the time I said that, things were looking good with Riggs. Then this season happened. We should be glad. I like the guys we got at db so far, especially Lo Wood. He was good when I went to his game. I was right with Luc and Joyner though.

IHateMarkMay
12-11-2009, 09:12 AM
It's all good IrishInFl. I appreciate the info you leak out to us normal folk.

WabashFalcon
12-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Any legs to the rumor that Hurd's bolted to Texas A&M?

jason_h537
12-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Hurd is going to visit A&M

NDinL.A.
12-26-2009, 10:18 PM
According to the FL boards, he de-committed already from FL. Remember, he was always about coaching continuity, and ironically it was Urban Liar who put the doubt of the Irish staff in his ear.

Now, I still don't think he'll choose ND b/c he kinda soured on us awhile ago, but you never know. I'd say OSU and Georgia have the best shot at him, then ND...

JefMaj
12-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Urbey's staff has been with him since Bowling Green.... Even if it's Mullen to replace him... he has new guys of his own... anyone else won't know the Meyer staff as they have been on Urbey's staff for 10 years... that staff will be decimated... we may grab one (just a wild ass guess) ... their strength coach was a plum that I thnk had ND ties, however, Kelly is bringing his from Cincy.... for a 2010 recruit - Florida is a pig in a poke.

tankdawgirish32
12-27-2009, 11:03 AM
According to the FL boards, he de-committed already from FL. Remember, he was always about coaching continuity, and ironically it was Urban Liar who put the doubt of the Irish staff in his ear.

Now, I still don't think he'll choose ND b/c he kinda soured on us awhile ago, but you never know. I'd say OSU and Georgia have the best shot at him, then ND...

Riggs said he was still committed right now and was hoping they sign someone from in the program or a big name.

JefMaj
12-27-2009, 11:11 AM
We've seen how recruiting from within goes.... Vegas odds on success....

JefMaj
01-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Come on Cody.... Fla loses it's Def. Coordinator.... it's DB coach... a HC's mind/nerve.... look around.... could be a long four years to rebuild...

bert2834
01-01-2010, 11:01 AM
He definitely needs to rethink his commitment to the University of Florida after everything that has happened the last few weeks!

WabashFalcon
01-01-2010, 11:54 AM
But WAIT!!! Urban's "leave of absence" is going to last justtttttttt long enough before he comes back to coach football games.

Interesting, huh?

Ironman8
02-07-2014, 09:06 AM
It has been posted elsewhere, but keep an eye on Cody. He has graduated from Florida and is looking to transfer somewhere for this upcoming season and play right away.

As Cody cites herehttp://college-football.si.com/2014/02/06/cody-riggs-florida-transfer/ , academics and getting an MBA at a prestigious business program is his main motivation for transfer. ND was thought to be the favorite for him before he decided on Florida, so it could be a fit.

ISD hints in their Intel this morning that ND is all over it, and we could be a possibly landing spot. Stay tuned.

Buster Bluth
02-07-2014, 09:08 AM
I was just about to ask what the chances of a transfer were with all of these open scholarships.

Rhode Irish
02-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Why did Irishlew get banned? Seems like a reasonable dude.

RDU Irish
02-07-2014, 09:14 AM
First comment in the article "In spirit and theory, this is what college football should be about."

Yeah, sounds like a good kid (wtf did he pick an SEC school for in the first place) and our MBA program + football should be a no brainer.

Cackalacky
02-07-2014, 09:14 AM
So if he does come in, would he transfer in as a grad student? He would be a 5th year scholarship player correct?

connor_in
02-07-2014, 09:15 AM
I was just about to ask what the chances of a transfer were with all of these open scholarships.

I am sorry if I missed it...how many open do we have? (or could someone at least point me to where I could see? Please and thank you)

RDU Irish
02-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Cody Riggs says reason for leaving Florida was academics, not*football | Campus Union - SI.com (http://college-football.si.com/2014/02/06/cody-riggs-florida-transfer/)

I had to copy and paste from above, here is a working link. Wherever he goes, I wish him well. Sounds like he has his head screwed on straight.

ResLife Hero
02-07-2014, 09:21 AM
No idea if this messes with the scholarship totals, but I love this idea. Gives us a potential starting-caliber guy in 2014 without shrinking the 2015 class. With Mendoza's MBA program on an upward trajectory, I wonder if we could see more of these situations in the future if we continue to miss 85.

Buster Bluth
02-07-2014, 09:24 AM
He started 2013 at safety, but probably wants to be a CB. What would he be at ND? FS, SS, CB?

connor_in
02-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Read the article...WOW, I am impressed by his reasons for doing this. ND does seem like it would be a great place for him for both the business school aspects as well as the networking aspects. Especially with where his focus is at, imagine having Swarbrick in your contact list and his assorted contacts (even before he came to ND).

zelezo vlk
02-07-2014, 09:25 AM
This kid would get an MBA? I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but should they allow him in? I've always read that good B schools want work experience. I'm sure it could be worked around if he shows the aptitude. Regardless of whether he could transfer here or not, if he wants an MBA from Notre Dame, I wish him the best of luck and hope that he would represent that program as best as he could.

Old Man Mike
02-07-2014, 09:27 AM
The only mild disconnect here is that he could solve our safety leadership problem next to Redfield, but doesn't want to play it. At corner he'd doubtless be fine, but with Russell established and Luke looking likely to be good, our need seems not as great there.

Still, he'd be VERY welcome either way.

BGIF
02-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Why did Irishlew get banned? Seems like a reasonable dude.

He was most of the time but when he got annoyed he went postal.

High maintenance settling frequent pissing contests with other posters and targeting mods ... repeatedly. Like several (many?) others, he got repeated counseling, then warnings from several mods, then he was terminated.

I think he's still on my Friends List along with one or two other guys that wore out their welcome.

ResLife Hero
02-07-2014, 09:29 AM
This kid would get an MBA? I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but should they allow him in? I've always read that good B schools want work experience. I'm sure it could be worked around if he shows the aptitude. Regardless of whether he could transfer here or not, if he wants an MBA from Notre Dame, I wish him the best of luck and hope that he would represent that program as best as he could.

It's not always that cut and dry. Notre Dame actually allows a small number of undergraduates to jump right into the MBA program. One of my professors tried to talk me into doing it, but my adviser said I'd be better served in the long run getting 3-5 years under my belt and coming back since it would allow for better networking in addition to the classwork. I do know 2 classmates who made the jump directly though.

RDU Irish
02-07-2014, 09:30 AM
MBA is two year program isn't it? I don't see how NFL caliber guys can jump in like this. Undrafted guys I can appreciate the jumpstart on a program. However, I don't see why we would take any less than NFL talent in a 5th year.

As a top tier MBA grad, I would rather see people get 4-5 years of real work experience before going after an MBA. At University of Chicago, you would be hard pressed to even be considered right out of college. In the classroom, real life experience added much more to the discussion than any freshly minted undergrad. With top tier MBAs, that mix of experience is what truly differentiates a good program and a great program. Often you have professors deferring to students on various topics. Otherwise you just have a bunch of kids kicking around theory.

zelezo vlk
02-07-2014, 09:33 AM
It's not always that cut and dry. Notre Dame actually allows a small number of undergraduates to jump right into the MBA program. One of my professors tried to talk me into doing it, but my adviser said I'd be better served in the long run getting 3-5 years under my belt and coming back since it would allow for better networking in addition to the classwork. I do know 2 classmates who made the jump directly though.

Okay. I'm fine with it then. I didn't mean to sound like a dick (it's still early here, I'm working on it) but I had read that the best schools (which Mendoza's trying to be) do not allow people in without work experience. If the precedent has been set though, by all means, let's bring him in.

RDU Irish
02-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Full time MBAs would take the night and weekend courses all the time just to network with people with actual jobs. UofC put all three programs on the same classes, same grading scale so you had a few options to sit in on the same class if you wanted. Full timers were almost always noticeably younger and less experienced and obviously job fishing (their full time job is essentially lining up internships/jobs). Evening and Weekend had executives flying from literally all over the country, much richer conversations on weekends than evenings and daytime classes by a long shot IMO.

Full time makes tons of sense if you are going for a full career change, Evening or Weekend for enhancing your current career track. Obviously less expensive to stay employed and earn money while taking an extra half a year to complete than going back into full student mode.

RDU Irish
02-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Kill that GMAT Cody!

ND NYC
02-07-2014, 09:40 AM
he made a 4 year decison 4 years ago, and is now finding out he should have made the 40 yr decision back then.

i wish him all the best but...i'll pass.

BeauBenken
02-07-2014, 09:41 AM
he made a 4 year decison 4 years ago, and is now finding out he should have made the 40 yr decision back then.

Why?

BGIF
02-07-2014, 09:43 AM

If he meets the same requirements that other ND football players have to in order to qualify for a graduate year at ND why would he not? How much work experience do the ND players have when they apply to grad school?

Riggs said that he plans to attend graduate business school and pursue either an MBA or a master’s in science in business. He’s currently finishing his degree in Family Youth and Community Sciences, studying for the GMATs and doing an internship at a Boys & Girls Club in Gainesville.

I don't know anything about the quality of his undergraduate courses. I do know that after Vanderbilt, UF is considered the academic school in the SEC. He had the opportunity for a quality education, just as Michigan or FSU football players do, if they avail themselves and fight off the coaches.

I can't see the ND coaching staff pursuing this unless they have an understanding with Admissions that a qualified candidate would be considered and they have reason to believe (transcript) he meets the requirements.

As to the question someone asked about a 5th year, pardon the pun but that's athletic not academic. The NCAA allows you 5 years of eligibility to play 4 years. With a year of eligibility the NCAA would consider it a transfer but academcially he would be in graduate school.

Rhode Irish
02-07-2014, 09:46 AM
Full time MBAs would take the night and weekend courses all the time just to network with people with actual jobs. UofC put all three programs on the same classes, same grading scale so you had a few options to sit in on the same class if you wanted. Full timers were almost always noticeably younger and less experienced and obviously job fishing (their full time job is essentially lining up internships/jobs). Evening and Weekend had executives flying from literally all over the country, much richer conversations on weekends than evenings and daytime classes by a long shot IMO.

Full time makes tons of sense if you are going for a full career change, Evening or Weekend for enhancing your current career track. Obviously less expensive to stay employed and earn money while taking an extra half a year to complete than going back into full student mode.

Slightly different animal, but I had the same experience with my LL.M. Full-time and part-time students took the same classes, and they were all at night. Full-timers did four nights a week, two classes per night; part-timers did one or two nights a week, and sometimes only one class per night. The result was a good mix of people fresh out of law school and professionals who were working full time jobs. Met a lot of good people that way, and the classroom discussions were also enhanced because you had people coming at it from different perspectives.

zelezo vlk
02-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Because he wouldn't be meeting the requirements of the other students (different than admission to ND undergrads). Work experience is seen as extremely important to an MBA program, which is why only a small amount of undergrads immediately go that route. If Mendoza feels comfortable admitting him, then by all means, but I am hesitant to think that it would be a done deal.

pkt77242
02-07-2014, 09:49 AM
I think Mendoza does a 1 year MBA as well. Didn't Cwynar do the 1 year program?

yankeeND
02-07-2014, 09:51 AM

He was a kid 4 years ago. Now he is a man and thinking more clearly with the big picture on his mind. I respect your opinion but, to me that kind of thinking is a little silly.

Cackalacky
02-07-2014, 09:52 AM
If he meets the same requirements that other ND football players have to in order to qualify for a graduate year at ND why would he not? How much work experience do the ND players have when they apply to grad school?

I don't know anything about the quality of his undergraduate courses. I do know that after Vanderbilt, UF is considered the academic school in the SEC. He had the opportunity for a quality education, just as Michigan or FSU football players do, if they avail themselves and fight off the coaches.

I can't see the ND coaching staff pursuing this unless they have an understanding with Admissions that a qualified candidate would be considered and they have reason to believe (transcript) he meets the requirements.

As to the question someone asked about a 5th year, pardon the pun but that's athletic not academic. The NCAA allows you 5 years of eligibility to play 4 years. With a year of eligibility the NCAA would consider it a transfer but academcially he would be in graduate school.
That was me. Initially I did not see if he had obtained the undergrad. I was assuming he had and he would receive a 1-year scholarship to go into the grad program with that being the case as a "ND 5th year." Not like how Crist went to Kansas on his "5th Year" although the same rule applies.

dublinirish
02-07-2014, 09:54 AM
the best ever Postgrad transfer? Jeremiah Masoli studying "Parks and Recreation Management" at Ole Miss :)

BGIF
02-07-2014, 09:55 AM

David Ruffer transferred as an undergraduate into ND from William & Mary.
Alex Wulfeck, the pooch punter on the '13 team, was an undergraduate transfer from Wake Forest.
A couple of years ago there was a OL that transferred in from NW.

We have some members on this board that have transferred into ND and some that have gone to ND graduate school with an non ND undergraduate degree.

ND accepts qualified people both as undergraduates and for graduate school. If the head coach and Father Jenkins weren't butt hurt why do you seem to be?

zelezo vlk
02-07-2014, 09:55 AM
You can get a graduate degree in a TV show now? Nice...

Pops Freshenmeyer
02-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Perhaps this is outdated but in order to be immediately eligible under the graduate transfer exception doesn't the player have to enroll in a graduate program at the new school which was not available at his old school? I would presume a school like UF would have an MBA program?

BGIF
02-07-2014, 09:59 AM
That was me. Initially I did not see if he had obtained the undergrad. I was assuming he had and he would receive a 1-year scholarship to go into the grad program with that being the case as a "ND 5th year." Not like how Crist went to Kansas on his "5th Year" although the same rule applies.

This "transfer" rule is only a couple of season old and I don't ever recall anyone considering ND for their graduate degree. Most, so far, have been like Masoli, looking for PT with a minimum of academic interference.

IrishLax
02-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Would get us to 85 and probably start as a slot corner.

rocket66
So what kind of career did he have at Florida?

ND NYC
Why?

just not a fan of the "5th year football transfer mercenaries" trend.

also-worry about what taking a guy like this, for a couple months, does to the locker room, and team chemistry.
could be good, but it could be bad too.
im also trying to figure out what fototball need he fills for us for the 2014 season?
why is he leaving florida ayway? i see it as a rat leaving a sinking ship. i would have more repsect for him had he stayed there and not transferred out.
make your bed and lie in it.

BGIF
You can get a graduate degree in a TV show now? Nice...

To be on the TV show at least you have to learn the script and be able to hit your marks.

Cackalacky
02-07-2014, 10:02 AM
This "transfer" rule is only a couple of season old and I don't ever recall anyone considering ND for their graduate degree. Most, so far, have been like Masoli, looking for PT with a minimum of academic interference.

Yep. That was the disconnect for me. If he has graduated from UF and has a year eligibility left and wants to purse an MBA... fine. Bring him on in.

Me2SouthBend
02-07-2014, 10:03 AM
If the staff was doing their job, they would have recruited up to or over the 85 schollie limit so this type of individual wouldn't be a consideration for a schollie. There were plenty of low level prospects that they could have given a 4 yr ride to so as to avoid this kind of mess. BK and Co. need to work harder.

dublinirish
02-07-2014, 10:04 AM
the only rule is that ND (or any school he might consider) has a post-grad program UF dosen't have right?

Rhode Irish
02-07-2014, 10:06 AM
If the staff was doing their job, they would have recruited up to or over the 85 schollie limit so this type of individual wouldn't be a consideration for a schollie. There were plenty of low level prospects that they could have given a 4 yr ride to so as to avoid this kind of mess. BK and Co. need to work harder.

Ha

Ironman8

I could see him even pushing to start or being in the rotation at Safety as well. Started there for Florida last year.

At the very least, he should light a fire over some of the guys (namely Shumate) at that position. Hopefully increased competition breeds further success.

Cackalacky
Maybe this is our JuCo solution.

Ironman8
02-07-2014, 10:08 AM

http://cdn.styleforum.net/3/35/35604b1a_th_jim-head-shake.gif

Pops Freshenmeyer
02-07-2014, 10:11 AM
So what kind of career did he have at Florida?

He's made 26 starts, including 12 last year. He was fourth on the team in tackles last season.

West Coast Domer
02-07-2014, 10:13 AM
I was just reading an article from a Gator website that said he struggled in coverage at both safety and corner. Hopefully the coaches can fix that

BGIF
02-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Gator Football Roster/Bios - GatorZone.com (http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2012&player_id=260)

DB
Height 5' 9"
CLASS JR
HometownFt. Lauderdale.

Weight 190 lbs.
Experience 2L
School St. Thomas Aquinas..

Played in 40 Games/Starting 26 Games 107 Tackles/9TFL/2S/1Int/8PBU/1FF

Individual game stats at the LINK above

2013: Returned from injury and started all 12 games at safety, after converting from cornerback…Finished fourth on the team with 51 tackles…According to coaches film breakdown, he had 10 tackles-for-loss and one sack…Led the team in tackles against Toledo (6) and Arkansas (6)…Had a career-high seven tackles against Georgia Southern…Named a team captain for the Miami, South Carolina and Georgia Southern games…

2012: Played in two games before fracturing his foot and being sidelined for the remainder of the season…Recorded seven tackles, one pass breakup and one forced fumble…

2011: Played in all 13 games, making 10 starts…Registered 31 tackles on the season, including 1.5 for loss and a half sack…2010: One of six true freshmen to play in all 13 games, while starting three (Kentucky, South Carolina, Penn State)…Started on the punt and kickoff coverage teams all season…Usually the first corner to sub in on defense throughout the season…Thirteen of his 18 tackles were solo and he had two pass breakups…Started at corner in the 2011 Outback Bowl win vs. Penn State, notching his first-career interception and making two tackles…Made his first career start in the win vs. Kentucky, recording a then career-high four tackles and a pass breakup.

PRIOR TO FLORIDA:
Ranked a four-star prospect and No. 9 cornerback in the country by Scout.com…Participated in the 2010 Under Armour All-American Game…Recorded 25 tackles, picked off eight passes and batted down an Aquinas team record of 24 others during his senior season…Received Honorable Mention for defensive backs at the U.S. Army National All-Combine…Had 25 tackles and 8 interceptions during his junior season…Also ran track in high school…Chose Florida over Georgia, Notre Dame, Tennessee and South Carolina…Coached by George F. Smith.

Wild Bill
02-07-2014, 10:18 AM
I could see him even pushing to start or being in the rotation at Safety as well. Started there for Florida last year.

At the very least, he should light a fire over some of the guys (namely Shumate) at that position. Hopefully increased competition breeds further success.

Exactly.

Cackalacky
02-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Team Captain as a junior on Muschamp's Defense....
I like it.

IrishLax
02-07-2014, 10:20 AM
I was just reading an article from a Gator website that said he struggled in coverage at both safety and corner. Hopefully the coaches can fix that

Then why was he a 3-year starter for a defense many considered one of the better ones in the country during that span if he can't cover? Sounds like sour grapes.

dublinirish
02-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Team Captain as a junior on Muschamp's Defense....
I like it.

which got man handled by Georgia Southern. It was a young team and had freshmen all over the lineup.

Cali_domer
02-07-2014, 10:22 AM
So is this a legit possibility and when would we know by?

I'll take my answers off the air thank you.

Cackalacky
02-07-2014, 10:25 AM
which got man handled by Georgia Southern. It was a young team and had freshmen all over the lineup.

Led the team in tackles during that game. Not ideal for your safety to lead in tackles against an option team but we all know how that goes right?

connect the dots
02-07-2014, 10:27 AM
It has been posted elsewhere, but keep an eye on Cody. He has graduated from Florida and is looking to transfer somewhere for this upcoming season and play right away.

As Cody cites herehttp://college-football.si.com/2014/02/06/cody-riggs-florida-transfer/ , academics and getting an MBA at a prestigious business program is his main motivation for transfer. ND was thought to be the favorite for him before he decided on Florida, so it could be a fit.

ISD hints in their Intel this morning that ND is all over it, and we could be a possibly landing spot. Stay tuned.
2009 Aquinas team was loaded with talent that Notre Dame was heavily recruiting - Brandon Linder OL, Lamarcus Joyner CB, Payne, and the running back that got away - Giovanni Bernard. Intriguing possibility. This fall, at defensive back, Florida will have Hargraves, Poole, and incoming freshman Jalen Tabor.

palinurus
02-07-2014, 10:28 AM
I'd grab him. SEC guys are faster.

Pachuco
02-07-2014, 10:39 AM

Can you clarify, please? I don't want to assume things about your post.

Whiskeyjack
02-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Riggs was a frequent starter in one of the best secondaries in the nation over the last several years. He's interested in coming to ND for the right reasons, and he fills an immediate need (NB/ DB depth, which is why many of us wanted Alexander so badly).

We can't oversign, gray-shirt or accept JuCos, so these sorts of transfers (along with our growing walk-on program) are the only way ND is going to be able to maintain competitive depth. I hope the Faculty Board is willing to work with the coaching staff on this one.

And while I'm sure UF has its own MBA program, I think ND offers certain specializations that UF does not. That might get us around the "in a degree not offered at the current university" rule.

Sherm Sticky
02-07-2014, 10:44 AM
I'm not sure I want him...he had his chance to come here four years ago and passed...just saying

Me2SouthBend
02-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Can you clarify, please? I don't want to assume things about your post.

Sarcasm dude. Delivered sans italics.

Pachuco
02-07-2014, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure I want him...he had his chance to come here four years ago and passed...just saying

People grow up and mature.

If he wants to work for it and he's ready to lead with maturity, why not?

Cackalacky
02-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Riggs was a frequent starter in one of the best secondaries in the nation over the last several years. He's interested in coming to ND for the right reasons, and he fills an immediate need (NB/ DB depth, which is why many of us wanted Alexander so badly).

We can't oversign, gray-shirt or accept JuCos, so these sorts of transfers (along with our growing walk-on program) are the only way ND is going to be able to maintain competitive depth. I hope the Faculty Board is willing to work with the coaching staff on this one.

And while I'm sure UF has its own MBA program, I think ND offers certain specializations that UF does not. That might get us around the "in a degree not offered at the current university" rule.

FEI has them ranked at 20 in 2013, 1 in 2012, 33 in 2011. They lost a lot of games but it was hardly due to defense (mainly turrible offense).

Ironman8
02-07-2014, 10:54 AM

People can grow up a lot in 4 years. If those years in Florida led him to realize that his current degree is not going to get him where he wants to be in his life, I absolutely applaud him for using his talents on the field to position himself to get a great MBA.

If that's the case, I want him 100%. A mature, driven, and dedicated 5th year with his talent knowing exactly want he wants in life could be a valuable piece of the program in '14.

Pachuco
02-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Sarcasm dude. Delivered sans italics.

Thanks, dude.

Emcee77
02-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Perhaps this is outdated but in order to be immediately eligible under the graduate transfer exception doesn't the player have to enroll in a graduate program at the new school which was not available at his old school? I would presume a school like UF would have an MBA program?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Did they get rid of that restriction? Or is it really easy to get around? "The ND business program has a concentration in entrepreneurship which UF's does not ..." just making stuff up but I wonder if something like that is all you have to show to get around the rule.

Does Cody fit in from a football perspective? It seems like we have a lot of young talent at DB and I don't want to stunt anyone's development. On the other hand, a safety/CB tweener like Cody is a PERFECT nickel corner for us. We could use him just like we used Slaughter a couple years ago. And we have an opening there since we are going to move Cole Luke outside to take over for BJax. I imagine we want Butler to work outside as well.

I had been thinking that Kinlaw might take over for Luke at nickel corner. It'll be good to have Riggs as another body there.

Speaking of Kinlaw, since we didn't get a return man in the 2013 class, I'd like to see Kinlaw get a shot at returning punts. Check out the last few minutes of his junior highlights, which include a lot of plays in which he runs the ball from the QB position (prior to that, the highlights are mostly passing). The dude is lightning quick and shifty with the ball in his hands.

Rashad Kinlaw (junior highlights) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghAo1HYOrDg)

IrishLax
02-07-2014, 11:00 AM
95% sure they either eliminated or simply do not enforce that restriction anymore.

Sherm Sticky
02-07-2014, 11:00 AM
People can grow up a lot in 4 years. If those years in Florida led him to realize that his current degree is not going to get him where he wants to be in his life, I absolutely applaud him for using his talents on the field to position himself to get a great MBA.

If that's the case, I want him 100%. A mature, driven, and dedicated 5th year with his talent knowing exactly want he wants in life could be a valuable piece of the program in '14.
I hear that...but i was scorned by him not picking Notre Dame. i don't want sloppy seconds.

IrishLax
02-07-2014, 11:01 AM
I hear that...but i was scorned by him not picking Notre Dame. i don't want sloppy seconds.

Do you feel the same about Carlisle?

Whiskeyjack
02-07-2014, 11:03 AM
FEI has them ranked at 20 in 2013, 1 in 2012, 33 in 2011. They lost a lot of games but it was hardly due to defense (mainly turrible offense).

Here are UF's S&P+ rankings vs. the pass (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef) during Riggs' tenure:

2013 - 3rd
2012 - 5th
2011 - 57th
2010 - 25th

They were 5th against the pass the year before Riggs showed up as well. 2011 is a clear outlier; UF has fielded one of the most consistently dominant secondaries in the country recently.

Cackalacky
02-07-2014, 11:05 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N6MBSe4Llj8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Targeting. DO. NOT. WANT

STLDomer
02-07-2014, 11:08 AM

Are u serious?? So u wouldn't want any transfer that passed on ND in the recruiting process??

BGIF
02-07-2014, 11:13 AM

Have you ever been first?

Yesterday you wanted to hit the ESPN Tennessee reporter. Now you don't want seconds?

Who are you kidding? You'd hit Monica and Hillary in a three way.

Whiskeyjack
02-07-2014, 11:16 AM

Yesterday you wanted to hit the ESPN Tennessee reporter. Now you don't want seconds?

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/ooh%2Bits%2Ba%2Bdeep%2Bburn%2B_b328f25a0870ba1f40d 475b1ae7feaa4.jpg

"Ohhh! It's a deep burn."

IrishLax
02-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Are u serious?? So u wouldn't want any transfer that passed on ND in the recruiting process??

The irony is that your best bet at transfers is always kids who heavily considered your school, but eventually they went somewhere else instead.

Remember, Riggs was part of the fired Weis class... can't exactly blame him for not wanting to come to ND and instead signing with Urban Meyer who had won multiple national championships and staying in state....

BeauBenken
02-07-2014, 11:18 AM
For people who hate the idea of having Luke Massa or Bruce Heggie come back for a 5th year...this guy would just be trading places with one of those guys and would likely have a (much) higher value to the team.

Henges24
02-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Do want

Irishnuke
02-07-2014, 11:23 AM
I just can't believe that there are people who wouldn't take this guy because of his decision four years ago. They QB that just won the Super Bowl transferred after graduating. Should Wisconsin have said no thanks? Get real guys.

BGIF
02-07-2014, 11:25 AM
http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/ooh%2Bits%2Ba%2Bdeep%2Bburn%2B_b328f25a0870ba1f40d 475b1ae7feaa4.jpg

"Ohhh! It's a deep burn."

I have no direct knowledge but I had always heard that Sherm got the handle "Sticky" from his customary position on a train.

Brooklyn
02-07-2014, 11:35 AM
So if he does come in, would he transfer in as a grad student? He would be a 5th year scholarship player correct?

Yes. One year eligibility.

Wild Bill
02-07-2014, 11:35 AM

It's on my bucket list.

Brooklyn
02-07-2014, 11:36 AM
I am sorry if I missed it...how many open do we have? (or could someone at least point me to where I could see? Please and thank you)

1 and:

http://i.imgur.com/Y8XMkbp.png

Rhode Irish
02-07-2014, 11:37 AM

I hate to say it like this, but that is dumb Sherm. This isn't a girl in high school. If the guy can help you and wants to be here, it would be cutting off your nose to spite your face to tell him to screw.

irishog77
02-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Don't forget the 4-way now-- Hillary, Monica, and Liz Hurley

Brooklyn
02-07-2014, 11:38 AM
This guy is the perfect get for us. Has starting experience and has played multiple positions. We can move him around to the slot and deep and make him a weapon for us. Also would get us full on scholarships. Hope we can bring him in. Low risk, high reward.

Brooklyn
02-07-2014, 11:40 AM

Exactly what I was thinking. He could be used in so many different ways here, deep safety close to the line, blitzing, slot. Would be a great weapon and very low risk.

rikkitikki08
02-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Do want for sure, if the kid indeed does want to acquire better education and is simply using his football skills to help that happen then i am all for it. Plus it sure helps the kid can play some ball

rikkitikki08
02-07-2014, 11:41 AM
I just can't believe that there are people who wouldn't take this guy because of his decision four years ago. They QB that just won the Super Bowl transferred after graduating. Should Wisconsin have said no thanks? Get real guys.

Agreed, its all bullshit if they believe that. Sour grapes

irishog77
02-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Is there anything to this speculation? Or is it just that this kid wants to transfer for a graduate year...and people are assuming ND because he showed interest 4 years ago?

For the record, I love moves like this-- instantly helps the team now...but doesn't dip into any long term plans for the staff, i.e. scholarship count for next year. Plus, they have a spot for him. At this point, it's all a bonus.

Emcee77
02-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Is there anything to this speculation? Or is it just that this kid wants to transfer for a graduate year...and people are assuming ND because he showed interest 4 years ago?

For the record, I love moves like this-- instantly helps the team now...but doesn't dip into any long term plans for the staff, i.e. scholarship count for next year. Plus, they have a spot for him. At this point, it's all a bonus.

We are in the mix, but that is all right now.

And I agree, great move, really no downside, when you think about it. I was initially worried about stunting the development of younger guys, but increased competition will only push them to improve faster, as Ironman said.

Surge40
02-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Riggs could also be a valuable recruiting tool, living proof of the value of an ND education vs an SEC education.

BeauBenken
02-07-2014, 11:49 AM

See Ironman's first post:

As Cody cites here Cody Riggs says reason for leaving Florida was academics, not*football | Campus Union - SI.com (http://college-football.si.com/2014/02/06/cody-riggs-florida-transfer/) , academics and getting an MBA at a prestigious business program is his main motivation for transfer. ND was thought to be the favorite for him before he decided on Florida, so it could be a fit.

Brooklyn
02-07-2014, 11:50 AM

Riggs said that he plans to attend graduate business school and pursue either an MBA or a master’s in science in business. He’s currently finishing his degree in Family Youth and Community Sciences, studying for the GMATs and doing an internship at a Boys & Girls Club in Gainesville.

Riggs sees going elsewhere for graduate school as a chance to expand his network. Riggs is the son of former NFL All-Pro running back Gerald Riggs. Cody Riggs said he grew up around a non-profit organization his parents started — Florida Youth Track and Field.

“I want to impact my community with that degree,” he said. “When a student that isn’t an athlete goes somewhere else for graduate school, they’re applauded. Same for coaches when they leave a school and it’s better for their family and future. When an athlete does it, though, it’s viewed as a problem.”

Cody Riggs says reason for leaving Florida was academics, not football | Campus Union - SI.com (http://college-football.si.com/2014/02/06/cody-riggs-florida-transfer/?eref=sihp)

TLDR version. Wants to expand his network, get a MBA and get an impact degree.

IrishLax
02-07-2014, 11:50 AM

ISD reported that sources indicate that this is likely his landing place.

Emcee77
02-07-2014, 11:51 AM

Oh really? If so, ISD is ahead of Loy on this one (not shocking).

irishog77
02-07-2014, 11:51 AM

Sweet

wizards8507
02-07-2014, 11:53 AM
I think Mendoza does a 1 year MBA as well. Didn't Cwynar do the 1 year program?

ND has a 1 year MBA if you were an undergraduate business major, yes.

IrishLax
02-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Oh really? If so, ISD is ahead of Loy on this one (not shocking).

They said specifically that a source in Florida said that ND is his most likely landing spot.

rikkitikki08
02-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Tight, a player who is coming to ND for all the right reasons and happens to be a hell of a football player. I can not understand for the life of me how any one could be against this

BGIF
02-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Frankly when that transfer rule was announced I thought it was a stake in the heart for ND.

ND players who might sit on the fence in the past waiting until after NSD to find out if any space was available now had a chance to do elsewhere and several have.

On the other hand the pool of players with desireable talent were extremely unlikely to meet ND academic requirements after 4 years at a football factory. The pool seemed to be largely filled with undertalented students or Masoli types.

This is the first glimmer of hope.

I expect if Kelly is pursuing this, it's based on mutual football and academic interest and with due diligence as I don't see ND dropping the bar for an unqualified prospect if that was the case.

AFisch86
02-07-2014, 12:19 PM
So what's the depth chart look like if he enrolled? Does he start day 1?

Brooklyn
02-07-2014, 12:21 PM

http://i.imgur.com/Y8XMkbp.png

I don't think he starts in a base set, but will get plenty of time in the slot and other packages.

Ironman8
02-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Riggs told Pete Sampson of II personally that he was interested in ND as a landing spot. In fact, when Pete called him, he stepped out of class to take the call after seeing the South Bend, Indiana area code and thought it was a ND coach.

Brooklyn
02-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Riggs told Pete Sampson of II personally that he was interested in ND as a landing spot. In fact, when Pete called him, he stepped out of class to take the call after seeing the South Bend, Indiana area code and thought it was a ND coach.

I'd be mad if we aren't all over this. Makes so much sense and can't be any lower risk.

Emcee77
02-07-2014, 12:26 PM

AWESOME. Definitely sounds like we are more than just "in the mix" here.

Loy is still hungover from his signing day celebration with Jake Brown. Get up to speed, man.

koonja
02-07-2014, 12:29 PM
One year, doesn't affect numbers of future scholarships, SEC proven, help on special teams at the very least, decreases the chance we see Farley play meaningful minutes?

Where do I sign.

BGIF
02-07-2014, 12:33 PM

I doubt he'd be available for Spring Ball as he's not in UND now. But he'd have between now and the summer to get up to snuff on ND's defense. And he could hit the ground running come preseason camp. Unlike incoming freshman he neither has to learn his way around a weight room or adjust to the speed of Div 1 ball. He's already accomplished that.

And like the rest of the DBs currently at ND, he's never played an NCAA game in a BVG Defense.

ResLife Hero
02-07-2014, 12:34 PM
I doubt he'd be available for Spring Ball as he's not in UND now. But he'd have between now and the summer to get up to snuff on ND's defense. And he could hit the ground running come preseason camp. Unlike incoming freshman he neither has to learn his way around a weight room or adjust to the speed of Div 1 ball. He's already accomplished that and like the rest of the DBs currently at ND, none of them have ever played in a BVG Defense.

From what I read, he's scheduled to get his degree in June, and I imagine he'd be on the way to South Bend the next day.

Emcee77
02-07-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm getting more excited about this guy the more I think about it. Hope it all works out.

BGIF
02-07-2014, 12:41 PM
From what I read, he's scheduled to get his degree in June, and I imagine he'd be on the way to South Bend the next day.

Thanks, I didn't go back and look.

That would likely preclude him from coming to Spring Practices to observe as the practice sessions are spread out over a couple of weeks. But I can't see why UF would (if they could) prohibit him from attending the B&G game and observing. His transfer paperwork would already be in progress if not completed.

CanadalovesND
02-07-2014, 12:45 PM
I think he'd be a solid addition.

Who knows, he may come in and lock down the cornerback spot opposite Russell, keeping Luke at nickel for one more year. It's no slight to Luke, but Riggs has played and started in a lot of big games.

Or, if Luke is the #2 CB, Riggs could play the nickel, a defense teams are in about 50% of the time anyways (don't know NDs nickel defense %)

irishtrooper
02-07-2014, 12:45 PM
What are the estimated timelines associated with this ? Basically, when does he actually have to decide and such ?

CanadalovesND
02-07-2014, 12:48 PM
What are the estimated timelines associated with this ? Basically, when does he actually have to decide and such ?

Well, he won't be enrolling at any school before spring practice, but it's good to know where he'll be going so he can watch spring practices with the permission of the school's coaching staff. He would also be allowed to talk with said coaches, as he would have already been released, by Florida, and accepted into his school of choice

So, for his sake, the sooner the better.

koonja
02-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Riggs could also be a valuable recruiting tool, living proof of the value of an ND education vs an SEC education.

Academics aside, let's say he comes here and loves everything about ND. We recruit the hell out of Florida, imagine him being a host to all Florida kids for visits, not to mention those considering the Gators.

BGIF
02-07-2014, 12:49 PM
I'm getting more excited about this guy the more I think about it. Hope it all works out.

I'm more excited than NSD as this would be a Notre Dame precedent setter and would require cooperation between AD, Admissions, and Administration to make this happen in a short period of time.

Sherm Sticky
02-07-2014, 01:05 PM

Lol now that is funny! reps.

BTW guys don't get all bent out of shape I'm just messing around.

Sherm Sticky
02-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Serious question. If Riggs does join the team, could this allow one of the younger players who didn't red shirt because of need in previous years red shirt this upcoming season?

For example Shumate, Butler or Luke? Or are they to talented to be kept off the field?

connor_in
02-07-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm more excited than NSD as this would be a Notre Dame precedent setter and would require cooperation between AD, Admissions, and Administration to make this happen in a short period of time.

Didn't we do this with a formerly Wake Forest punter this past season?

Irishman77
02-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Renting a player for a year doesn't thrill me. If he does make the move he will provide depth and competition.

Ironman8
02-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Serious question. If Riggs does join the team, could this allow one of the younger players who didn't red shirt because of need in previous years red shirt this upcoming season?

For example Shumate, Butler or Luke? Or are they to talented to be kept off the field?

I'd think Butler would be the only CB that it would really be even plausible with. Another guy would be moving Prosise back to Safety, and having him RS this season to get re-acclimated.

Emcee77
02-07-2014, 01:25 PM

Maybe ... we tried to do that with Kona in 2011. But those guys you mentioned are all serious contributors. I don't think we'd want to shut any of them down.

Honestly, what I think getting Riggs would allow us to do is something I know you'll love, Sherm. Use Kinlaw on offense and special teams. If we have a good 2015 CB class I could see that being a permanent switch. He's the punt returner/slot WR we didn't get in the 2014 class.

Emcee77
02-07-2014, 01:26 PM
I'd think Butler would be the only CB that it would really be even plausible with. Another guy would be moving Prosise back to Safety, and having him RS this season to get re-acclimated.

Prosise did redshirt though.