PDA

View Full Version : '10 FL CB Cody Riggs (Notre Dame Transferee)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

ulukinatme
02-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Good point, Whiskey. Plus Riggs was somewhat high on ND early in his recruitment too. I imagine that factored in to his decision, as well as the struggles that Florida has faced this last season. It's crazy to think that ND is closer to getting back to the NCG than Florida is.

Luckylucci
02-19-2014, 12:53 PM
I'd imagine graduate transfers like Riggs are pretty rare. It's far more common for career bench-warmers to transfer from a power house to a middling team (see: all the ND players who transferred for one last shot at playing time under Weis and Martin) than for a starter on a power house to transfer to another power house for a graduate degree. Such players are usually either: (1) NFL-bound; or (2) too attached to their original program to transfer.

I'd love for Riggs to set a precedent here, but I just don't see how this sort of transfer becomes a regular occurrence going forward.

I tend to agree. I think this starts the conversation which may lead to something more down the line but as of now this is an isolated incident that we're benefiting from.

irishog77
02-19-2014, 01:02 PM
I'd imagine graduate transfers like Riggs are pretty rare. It's far more common for career bench-warmers to transfer from a power house to a middling team (see: all the ND players who transferred for one last shot at playing time under Weis and Martin) than for a starter on a power house to transfer to another power house for a graduate degree. Such players are usually either: (1) NFL-bound; or (2) too attached to their original program to transfer.

I'd love for Riggs to set a precedent here, but I just don't see how this sort of transfer becomes a regular occurrence going forward.

Agreed.

I wonder, though, if ND would be willing to take kids that played/started a couple years at a school like Nevada or Iowa State (for instance). Not very good programs, probably not huge potential for his 1 year at ND, but could add some solid depth/leadership. I don't know, I think it may be a case-by-case basis. The staff probably doesn't want to devote a lot of time to a kid that will be there 1 year (and isn't spectacular) and could hinder the development of younger guys, but if a position is lacking depth, a player like that could come in and help.

It could be kind of an end around method around JUCO's.

ndcoltsfan2010
02-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Awesome news! Great addition to our defense! Very excited about our secondary this fall.

Emcee77
02-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Agreed.

I wonder, though, if ND would be willing to take kids that played/started a couple years at a school like Nevada or Iowa State (for instance). Not very good programs, probably not huge potential for his 1 year at ND, but could add some solid depth/leadership. I don't know, I think it may be a case-by-case basis. The staff probably doesn't want to devote a lot of time to a kid that will be there 1 year (and isn't spectacular) and could hinder the development of younger guys, but if a position is lacking depth, a player like that could come in and help.

It could be kind of an end around method around JUCO's.

That's an interesting point. What if, in 4 years, Allen Lazard decides he wants to play for a real football team? (I doubt he will redshirt, but he might get hurt and preserve a year that way, as Riggs did.)

Cal is dumpster fire-esque; maybe Erik Brown wants to try ND in a few years.

Ooh, or there is Victor Egu, LB from Cali last cycle who was a backup plan for us, committed to Cal when he wasn't a take for ND, then ended up flipping to Yale after the coaching change. After 4 years in the Ivy League, I could definitely see him wanting to give big time football a try, and academics are a priority for him.

I see what you guys are saying about these opportunities to pick up quality 5Ys being rare, but I think they are out there. There are a fair amount of kids we recruit who end up at schools that play shitty football.

Irish#1
02-19-2014, 01:20 PM

I was reading through and was going to post something similar. You're right, this is going to be more of a rare occurrence than the norm.

Regardless a great addition for this year.

http://i.imgur.com/b0WQNAB.gif

koonja
02-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Not gonna lie if he has a pick 6 against FSU and does the Gator chomp I will give 0 shits.

You're my boy blue. But I'd be pissed if him or any player in a ND uniform did any other team's celebration. We are ND!

Awesome pick up for free rent.

dublinirish
02-19-2014, 01:25 PM
That's an interesting point. What if, in 4 years, Allen Lazard decides he wants to play for a real football team? (I doubt he will redshirt, but he might get hurt and preserve a year that way, as Riggs did.)

Cal is dumpster fire-esque; maybe Erik Brown wants to try ND in a few years.

Ooh, or there is Victor Egu, LB from Cali last cycle who was a backup plan for us, committed to Cal when he wasn't a take for ND, then ended up flipping to Yale after the coaching change. After 4 years in the Ivy League, I could definitely see him wanting to give big time football a try, and academics are a priority for him.

I see what you guys are saying about these opportunities to pick up quality 5Ys being rare, but I think they are out there. There are a fair amount of kids we recruit who end up at schools that play shitty football.

I definitely think there are many Cody Riggs types out there, its just a matter of ND saying "we accept 5th year transfers if we have room so please consider us if you want a quality postgrad and great football" Nothing more needs to be said. Its a ways for a 21 year old to correct the bad decisions they might have made at 17/18.

koonja
02-19-2014, 01:27 PM
I think this guy will be an asset this year for recruiting Florida.

phillyirish
02-19-2014, 01:44 PM

Not sure how you see that. We have other Florida players on the roster, don't know what influence they've really had. I mean Louis Nix is from Florida, and even as an All American with his likeable/expressive personality I doubt he affected anybody's decision to commit over his tenure here.

But Riggs is in a real good situation to make an impact for mainly two reasons:

1. Anyway you look at it, there is at least 2 open secondary spots, with Russell as the only guaranteed starter locking down one of the corner spots.

2. And even as a new guy, he will still be on an even playing field with the rest of the secondary in regards to the system with their being a new DC.

koonja
02-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Not sure how you see that. We have other Florida players on the roster, don't know what influence they've really had. I mean Louis Nix is from Florida, and even as an All American with his likeable/expressive personality I doubt he affected anybody's decision to commit over his tenure here.

But Riggs is in a real good situation to make an impact for mainly two reasons:

1. Anyway you look at it, there is at least 2 open secondary spots, with Russell as the only guaranteed starter locking down one of the corner spots.

2. And even as a new guy, he will still be on an even playing field with the rest of the secondary in regards to the system with their being a new DC.

We seem to recruit against the gators as much as any sec team. If Riggs loves it here, moreso than Florida, imagine how awesome it'd be to have him host Florida kids considering the gators when they visit ND. He can tell them real life examples of how ND >> Florida.

I can hear it now 'look man, I spent 4 years at Florida so I know how enticing it is to play in your home state and for them, but man, ND is just different in every way, and if I could take it back I would have came here instead'.

Luckylucci
02-19-2014, 01:53 PM

I think this is something that shouldn't be overlooked. W. Muschamp is on the hot seat. Add this situation to the mix as well as the success that some Florida Rb's could have on our roster this year and it gives us some valid ammo when competing for recruits.

Whiskeyjack
02-19-2014, 01:58 PM
We seem to recruit against the gators as much as any sec team. If Riggs loves it here, moreso than Florida, imagine how awesome it'd be to have him host Florida kids considering the gators when they visit ND. He can tell them real life examples of how ND >> Florida.

I can hear it now 'look man, I spent 4 years at Florida so I know how enticing it is to play in your home state and for them, but man, ND is just different in every way, and if I could take it back I would have came here instead'.

That'd be great for us if Riggs is willing to throw his old program under the bus, but I haven't gotten the impression that he's leaving UF on bad terms.

koonja
02-19-2014, 02:05 PM
That'd be great for us if Riggs is willing to throw his old program under the bus, but I haven't gotten the impression that he's leaving UF on bad terms.

That's fine, but preferring one over the other and telling others why doesn't mean you have to throw one under the bus.

If I go to two great concerts and my friend asks me which one he should come with to next year and I of course pick one, doesn't mean I trashed the first concert.

connect the dots
02-19-2014, 02:08 PM

Should certainly help with the Aquinas program. Interestingly, on signing day, 379 Texas high school football players signed FBS Division 1 scholarships. Florida came in second with 351. However, the ratio of Florida high school football scholarships to players is staggering - 1 in 99. In contrast, the Texas ratio of scholarships to players is 1 in 436. Following Florida in highest percentage of college scholarships to high school players is -

Georgia 1 - 176,
Louisiana 1 - 220,
Hawaii 1 - 251,
Alabama 1 - 269,
Maryland(includes DC) 1 - 289,
Ohio with a 1 - 300 ratio.

koonja
02-19-2014, 02:12 PM

But if he wants to throw them under the bus, by all means, lol.

Corry
02-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Should certainly help with the Aquinas program. Interestingly, on signing day, 379 Texas high school football players signed FBS Division 1 scholarships. Florida came in second with 351. However, the ratio of Florida high school football scholarships to players is staggering - 1 in 99. In contrast, the Texas ratio of scholarships to players is 1 in 436. Following Florida in highest percentage of college scholarships to high school players is -

Georgia 1 - 176,
Louisiana 1 - 220,
Hawaii 1 - 251,
Alabama 1 - 269,
Maryland(includes DC) 1 - 289,
Ohio with a 1 - 300 ratio.

Wow that's amazing

Oberon
02-19-2014, 02:36 PM
I love the potential this has to set a precedent. Per BGI, the way this all went down is that
a) Alford recruited Riggs out of high school in 2010, and they formed a close bond,
b) last fall, Riggs reached out to Alford to see if ND would have a spot for him as a transfer,
c) Alford filed paperwork and sought permission to speak to Riggs about transferring,
d) Alford and Riggs caught up, re-established their bond, and Riggs chose to transfer to ND.

Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, but remember when there was a rumor of a potential transfer this past fall and nothing came of it? Some thought a defensive player from Florida. Must have been Riggs, right?

Bogtrotter07
02-19-2014, 02:51 PM

My impression similarly, is that there is nothing at all there. That could be exceptionally classy and a sign of high character. But I believe it is a sign of someone having a plan in place.

Cody, a chara,

Tá sé iontach go bhfuil tú mar chuid den fhoireann! Is féidir na daoine nach bhfuil cosúil leis na litreacha Gaeilge - póg mo thóin. An bhfuil taithí iontach ag Notre Dame. Is áit ar leith. Gaeilge Téigh agus buille an Seminoles seo titim!

Beir bua agus beannacht,

Bogtrotter

IrishLion
02-19-2014, 04:32 PM
Is féidir na daoine nach bhfuil cosúil leis na litreacha Gaeilge - póg mo thóin.

His Irish letters, or your Irish letters?

I will not be kissing any asses either way.

TheChosen1
02-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Two years ago our D-line made our DB's look really good. This year I hope the DB's can make our D-Line look really good.

GoldenToTheGrave
02-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Two years ago our D-line made our DB's look really good. This year I hope the DB's can make our D-Line look really good.

I hope our D-line can make our D-line look good. We have recruited really well there despite an overall limited amount of proven performance. If anybody thinks we're going to have a D-line like we did in 2012 every year, they need to temper their expectations.

tadman95
02-19-2014, 08:35 PM
I'm glad this worked out. His experience and hopefully his leadership skills could help set a higher expectation level in the locker room. Not saying it's bad but a little diversity from a different perspective can only help.

TheChosen1
02-19-2014, 08:45 PM
I hope our D-line can make our D-line look good. We have recruited really well there despite an overall limited amount of proven performance. If anybody thinks we're going to have a D-line like we did in 2012 every year, they need to temper their expectations.

Pretty much what I said.

WakeUpEchoes
02-19-2014, 09:00 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jaylen Watkins --&gt; RT <a href="https://twitter.com/jwat14">@jwat14</a>: People that think cody was scared of competition or losing his job are crazy smh</p>&mdash; OnlyGators.com (@onlygators) <a href="https://twitter.com/onlygators/statuses/436174036146458624">February 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Apparently UF blowholes are hating on him because they think he was scared of competing for playing time.

TheChosen1
02-19-2014, 09:03 PM
We got Riggs now all we need is Murtaugh.

Old Man Mike
02-19-2014, 09:15 PM
Wow... real interesting. This fellow is obviously REALLY good. When do you get lucky enough to add an exceptional experienced player into an area of general need?

Hog said it before. What we need more than anything "back there" is leadership. Riggs isn't coming here to sit the bench. [Too bad that he doesn't want to continue at safety, as we are extra needy for a field general there.]

I expect Keivaree to bust out as a leader this season. If Riggs is his counterpart, we'll have not only two superior corners, but a dynamic duo of leadership. Max Redfield's youthful confusion will much more easily disappear and we might just have THREE DB superplayers. With that kind of talent, I expect that any of the good choices that Elliot has for the other safety will be solid, but I'd prefer Baratti or Collinsworth, because I think that they "get" the game more clearly. Luke can be the nickel, Shumate the dime. Or Hardy, or Kinlaw, or ... sheesh, we're loaded with depth.

This might save our butts defensively this year --- leadership plus cornerback competency. I believe that the DLine will be better than predicted [if Springmann can go hard all year] and the young-uns will contribute mightily. I also believe than van Gorder will get creative and unleash Ishaq and Romeo, and they'll make the backfield miserable.

We've got a chance here. Lots has to happen, but Riggs makes it easier.

.... cautious optimism, and grotto prayers for Jarrett Grace.

irishff1014
02-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Can't hurt to have him on the Team for Special Teams and fighting for a starting spot.

Henges24
02-19-2014, 09:21 PM
http://lifexinxrewind.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/2012-jets-goldy.gif

Redbar
02-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Very excited to see this unfold, an incredible addition to our team. Can't help but applaud the job and impression that Coach Alford makes on young men. Can't help but applaud Cody for not being afraid to take a unique path. That, in and of itself speaks to his strength of character. I'm a big fan of all the principals in this decision.

Irish YJ
02-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Like finding an unopened present with your name on it a few weeks after Christmas

SoDakDomer
02-20-2014, 11:08 AM

Our linebackers need to cover better this year because no matter how much pressure we get, if a 3 step drop and a crossing pattern over the middle is always open we will never get home on the QB.

NDohio
02-20-2014, 11:14 AM
.... cautious optimism, and [B]grotto prayers for Jarrett Grace.

Yes x1000. Grace coming back close to full speed would be huge.

ResLife Hero
04-23-2014, 02:49 PM
What to expect from Florida transfer Cody Riggs | Inside the Irish (http://irish.nbcsports.com/2014/04/23/what-to-expect-from-florida-transfer-cody-riggs/)

In early June, 21 freshmen will officially become part of the Notre Dame football program. So will Cody Riggs. The former Florida defensive back might be a newcomer at Notre Dame, but will immediately be the most experienced player on the Irish defense.

Riggs’ one year journey is a unique case. While head coach Brian Kelly has accepted fifth year transfer students in the past, Riggs is cut from a different cloth. He’s played 40 games for one of the SEC’s best defenses. He’s got positional flexibility at a spot where Brian VanGorder covets that versatility. And as the Irish defense leaves spring practice will more than a few unanswered questions, Riggs will hopefully play a big part in supplying some answers.

Riggs is eligible to play immediately after transferring under the same rule that granted Andrew Hendrix and Alex Welch immediate eligibility at Miami (Ohio). And a season ending injury at the beginning of the 2012 season allows him to jump right into a talented but inexperienced secondary. How helpful will Riggs experience be? Consider he’s played more than an entire season more of football than Keivarae Russell, the next most experienced player on the defense.

Riggs nearly spent the last four seasons in South Bend, but committed to Florida, choosing the Gators over Notre Dame around the same time Brian Kelly took the head coaching job. Four years later, the Irish finally landed the 5-foot-9, 190-pound cornerback. And from his official comments in late February, Kelly knows he landed a critical defender.

“Cody Riggs is an outstanding player,” said Kelly. “He played a ton of football at Florida having started at both safety and corner back. Cody definitely brings veteran leadership and versatility to our team and defense.”

After watching Bob Diaco recruit players to positional profiles for the past four seasons, it’s interesting that Riggs is almost the prototype off-profile recruit. He’s undersized at 5-foot-9. But he’s clearly capable of doing things that appeal to VanGorder’s system, with cross-training between cornerback and safety a true need on this defense.

Veteran safety Matthias Farley was shifted into that role for the spring, learning how to be a cover corner on the fly. But comparing him to Riggs is difficult. Riggs was a key cog in a Florida secondary that put together back-to-back seasons as one of the ten toughest defenses to pass against in college football.

Russell and safety Max Redfield feel like the only “sure things” in this secondary, with Redfield’s status still more a projection. It’s hard not to consider Riggs the same type of player. Where VanGorder decides to use the versatile defender is the last true question.

Riggs expressed a desire to play cornerback, after starting all 12 games for the Gators last season at safety. While Cole Luke has slid into the starting job, Riggs will likely challenge for that job, creating another nice piece of depth along with Devin Butler.

While most will get caught up in the race for the starting spot opposite Russell, in reality the Irish will likely have three cornerbacks on the field at all times. And Riggs’ combination of diminutive size, elite speed and ability to play multiple positions makes him an ideal candidate to cover slot receivers — a nickel cornerback that might not come off the field.

“I am very thankful for this opportunity,” Riggs said in Notre Dame’s official release. “I fully intend to make the most of this opportunity by not only giving my absolute best effort, but also leading by example both on and off the field.”

Bringing a one-and-done player into the program is a decision that was weighed heavily. Bringing in a situational punter is one thing, but Riggs will need to step in and play a key role in the defense, something that necessitates a high character individual.

After meeting with Riggs and his family during his “recruitment” period, Kelly sounded sold on that aspect of the decision.

“He will help us immediately but, more importantly, Cody is a great kid with a tremendous focus on both football and academics,” Kelly said. “His decision to complete his collegiate playing career and pursue a graduate degree at the University of Notre Dame speaks volumes about both our program and University.”

Riggs is completing his degree in Family, Youth and Community Sciences this semester. He’ll then spend summer courses and the fall semester pursuing a masters degree at Notre Dame before likely turning his attention to prepping for the NFL Draft, where he projects to play on Sundays.

Entering his fifth season in South Bend, that’s the type of player that a head coach should take a chance on. And from the sounds of Riggs’ comments, it’s a decision he took very seriously.

“Being on campus, meeting with the academic personnel and interacting with the Notre Dame players helped me dot the I’s and cross the T’s on what has been the toughest decision of my life,” Riggs said back in February. “I am excited about working hard in the classroom and expanding my professional network in pursuit of a graduate degree from Notre Dame. I am equally excited to contribute on the field and make some big plays to help the team win games.”

Bogtrotter07
04-23-2014, 11:18 PM
I can hardly wait.

rikkitikki08
04-24-2014, 10:01 AM
Kid is showing a lot of class and grit already, i like this kid already

Huntr
04-24-2014, 10:03 AM
I really think this guy and his experience will be invaluable in the defensive backfield.

ShawneeIrish
04-24-2014, 10:12 AM
Love this guys attitude! Do you guys think he is likely to take the other CB spot from Cole Luke or is he most likely to be more of a nickel type corner but one that rarely leaves field and covers slot?

Irishman77
04-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Love this guys attitude! Do you guys think he is likely to take the other CB spot from Cole Luke or is he most likely to be more of a nickel type corner but one that rarely leaves field and covers slot?

Safety.

Cackalacky
04-24-2014, 10:22 AM
I am thinking he will be a CB primarily if BvG has his druthers. I foresee lots of Riggs and Luke on the field together with Smith and a Turner or Onwualu as the 2nd LB where we have to play spread teams. But when we play the power/pro teams like Stanford and USC, I think it is still Riggs as he can play safety and CB and we will have more LBs on the field.

Riggs has also publicly expressed his desire to play CB at ND. If he has one year to help this team, I say we give it to him.

Huntr
04-24-2014, 10:33 AM
I foresee lots of Riggs and Luke on the field together.

The soph Luke over the veteran KRuss?

Cackalacky
04-24-2014, 10:35 AM
The freshman Luke over the veteran KRuss?

No, nickle.

Russell, Redfield, Collinsworth/Shumate/Hardy, Riggs, Luke, Smith, Turner/Onwualu,
DLIne

Huntr
04-24-2014, 10:37 AM
No, nickle.

Russell, Redfield, Collinsworth/Shumate/Hardy, Riggs, Luke, Smith, Turner/Onwualu,
DLIne

Ah, I see. I think Riggs and Luke might split more PT in non-nickel situations. We'll see what happens, tho'.

Irishman77
04-24-2014, 10:55 AM
DB ranking of our roster IMHO
1. Russell
2. Luke
3. Riggs
4. Redfield
5. Butler
6. Shumate
7. Baratti
8. Collinsworth
9. JO (could soar up this list to 4-5)
10. Watkins
11. Hardy
12. Tranquill
13. Atkinson
14. Brown
15. Farley

Cackalacky
04-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Ah, I see. I think Riggs and Luke might split more PT in non-nickel situations. We'll see what happens, tho'.

I apologize for the confusion. I pretty much assumed Russell and Redfield are DB starters. I am unsure how the other safety and CB position shakes out though. Definitely will have to see. I just think Riggs has too much experience from playing at Florida. Luke will have to beat him out or Riggs will have to struggle picking up what BvG is laying down.

Cackalacky
04-24-2014, 11:04 AM
1. Russell
2. Luke
3. Riggs
4. Redfield
5. Butler
6. Shumate
7. Baratti
8. Collinsworth
10. Watkins
11. Hardy
12. Tranquill
13. Atkinson
14. Brown
15. Farley
LOL at Farley. Not picking on you but he will most definitely see the field before 10-14 (minus Hardy), if he sees the field at all.

I hate that Shumate and Hardy have not done more in their time. maybe it was Diaco's scheme, but shit... super disappointed there. I agree that they are down the chart IMO.

koonja
04-24-2014, 11:45 AM
I think Riggs is going to play a lot. I wonder if he could steal the safety spot from Colinsworth?

It'd be a huge upgrade in athleticism and I don't have faith in Shummate taking it at this point, although that's the ideal situation IMO.

IrishLion
04-24-2014, 11:48 AM
I'm starting to think (if Riggs truly is the real deal) that Riggs at safety and Shumate moving back to nickel might be awesome. Allows Shumate to go back to where he excelled as a freshman, and having an experienced player next to Redfield would be good.

koonja
04-24-2014, 11:52 AM
1. Russell
2. Luke
3. Riggs
4. Redfield
5. Butler
6. Shumate
7. Baratti
8. Collinsworth
10. Watkins
11. Hardy
12. Tranquill
13. Atkinson
14. Brown
15. Farley

I have him at 16, right behind Bon Jovi with the knee injury.

Emcee77
04-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Ha. I think a healthy Farley will surprise some people this year. If we redo this list midseason, I bet he cracks some people's top 10's.

PANDFAN
04-24-2014, 11:56 AM
I have him at 16, right behind Bon Jovi with the knee injury.

http://media.giphy.com/media/Wi3EAhbo4vDbO/giphy.gif

rtrn2glory
04-24-2014, 11:59 AM
at the very least i think we can at least expect farley to help out on special teams this year with his game experience.

GoIrish41
04-24-2014, 12:07 PM
I know Farley had some injury issues last year, but he really appeared to dip his head nearly every time before contact. His fundamentals in both tackling and coverage are below average, IMO. Last year really surprised me. I thought he was going to be a rising star after he stepped up his freshman year, but he appears to have regressed.

I'm really expecting Shumate to steop up this year. That kid is just too athletic and too hard a hitter not to see significant playing time, IMO. I think IrishLion may be right about him sliding into the nickle slot.

koonja
04-24-2014, 12:09 PM
I know Farley had some injury issues last year, but he really appeared to dip his head nearly every time before contact. His fundamentals in both tackling and coverage are below average, IMO. Last year really surprised me. I thought he was going to be a rising star after he stepped up his freshman year, but he appears to have regressed.

I'm really expecting Shumate to steop up this year. That kid is just too athletic and too hard a hitter not to see significant playing time, IMO. I think IrishLion may be right about him sliding into the nickle slot.

Did he? I never saw that officialy announced. I could have misses it, but all I remember is Ironman speculated that he thought Farley had a hidden shoulder injury because his tackling was so poor, and people ran with it on here, but I don't remember the coaches, Farley, or other players ever mentioning an injury.

Irishman77
04-24-2014, 12:16 PM
When Kelly came in our db situation was dire! Probably need to go back a century or so to see such a mess.

If you were 6 foot and ran under a 5.0 forty we had a scholarship (turner)

Diaco had voodoo profiles for recruits and we missed the boat during his tutelage.

We had a soccer player starting at safety!!!

Those days are long gone and when KR goes top 10 in the draft we will be able to land at least one elite db every year.

Cackalacky
04-24-2014, 12:17 PM
Did he? I never saw that officialy announced. I could have misses it, but all I remember is Ironman speculated that he thought Farley had a hidden shoulder injury because his tackling was so poor, and people ran with it on here, but I don't remember the coaches, Farley, or other players ever mentioning an injury.

I believe that to be that the case and that it was an injury he could play through. BK does not like to put out injury news and he typically only does if it is something long term (ie his ire at Malik for tweeting about his mono).

koonja
04-24-2014, 12:20 PM
I believe that to be that the case and that it was an injury he could play through. BK does not like to put out injury news and he typically only does if it is something long term (ie his ire at Malik for tweeting about his mono).

True, but after the season he usually says 'player X was playing with____'. I never heard anything about Farley, though.

Again, could have been injured and I missed the announcement, but I think that was a rumor that was never confirmed.

Whiskeyjack
04-24-2014, 12:22 PM

Shane Walton was a pretty good CB, no?

Irishman77
04-24-2014, 12:25 PM
The fact that Farley was moved from safety as soon as Diaco left and redfield instantly started when Diaco left is no coincidence.

Emcee77
04-24-2014, 12:34 PM
True, but after the season he usually says 'player X was playing with____'. I never heard anything about Farley, though.

Again, could have been injured and I missed the announcement, but I think that was a rumor that was never confirmed.

I'm pretty sure he did say something like that, but I can't be certain.

I definitely remember hearing something post-season and thinking that it confirmed the rumor that Farley was playing with a bad shoulder, but I forget what I heard or exactly when I heard it.

PANDFAN
04-24-2014, 12:44 PM
I'm pretty sure he did say something like that, but I can't be certain.

I definitely remember hearing something post-season and thinking that it confirmed the rumor that Farley was playing with a bad shoulder, but I forget what I heard or exactly when I heard it.

this was the common thinking around here because why the drop off in production...Here is straight from the horses mouth w/ NO indication of any injury

coach Brian Kelly explained it Friday, Farley has the type of skill set that can transfer well to cornerback.

"We think that he can be a very good player, especially a tackler from an outside‑in position," Kelly said. "He's been playing inside‑out, right — he's been running the alley inside‑out. We think he can be a very good force player from an outside in position, and he's really a good athlete. He can run, and he's got very good ball skills."
Farley had a handful of high-profile missed tackles last fall playing inside-out at safety, and the move to cornerback was made to give him a better angle to make tackles. It's an admission of Farley's struggles last year but a nod to the talent he still possesses.

Notre Dame aims to put Matthias Farley in a better position | CSN Chicago (http://www.csnchicago.com/notre-dame/notre-dame-aims-put-matthias-farley-better-position)

Emcee77
04-24-2014, 12:48 PM
this was the common thinking around here because why the drop off in production...Here is straight from the horses mouth w/ NO indication of any injury

coach Brian Kelly explained it Friday, Farley has the type of skill set that can transfer well to cornerback.

"We think that he can be a very good player, especially a tackler from an outside‑in position," Kelly said. "He's been playing inside‑out, right — he's been running the alley inside‑out. We think he can be a very good force player from an outside in position, and he's really a good athlete. He can run, and he's got very good ball skills."
Farley had a handful of high-profile missed tackles last fall playing inside-out at safety, and the move to cornerback was made to give him a better angle to make tackles. It's an admission of Farley's struggles last year but a nod to the talent he still possesses.

Notre Dame aims to put Matthias Farley in a better position | CSN Chicago (http://www.csnchicago.com/notre-dame/notre-dame-aims-put-matthias-farley-better-position)

Well, the portion you bolded is the writer's interpretation; that part does NOT come straight from Kelly. The writer could be wrong.

I still think I heard something confirming the injury, but again, I can't be certain.

PANDFAN
04-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Well, the portion you bolded is the writer's interpretation; that part does NOT come straight from Kelly. The writer could be wrong.

I still think I heard something confirming the injury, but again, I can't be certain.

“We were trying to get him to replace [safeties] Zeke Motta and Harrison Smith, two pretty good players and two physical players. And he’s not that kind of player. He got that tag of he’s not as physical. Well, that’s not his best trait,” Kelly said.

“He’s really smart, he’s got some tools I think that if we play him in the right position, he can really help our defense. I’m not going to say he was unfairly evaluated in a sense, but he was put in a very difficult position last year and we really think he can help our defense in a role that doesn’t focus on him being a hard-hitting safety.”
“You have to know how everything fits, how you fit in it, getting the calls to everybody. It was definitely a lot,” he said. “But I think it was a beneficial year, going through some struggles, some ups and downs and coming out better for it.”

Now he is tackling a different task.

“There’s more reading and reacting based on what the quarterback does,” Farley said. “You don’t have to think as much about what’s going on around you and I think that I am fast enough and strong enough to play the position.”
he wasn't strong enough to play safety but will be better suited as a db
Notre Dame’s Matthias Farley switching from safety to cornerback - Chicago Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/26032348-419/notre-dames-matthias-farley-switching-from-safety-to-cornerback.html#.U1kzMVVdWHQ)

Emcee77
04-24-2014, 01:00 PM
I still don't see how this proves that he was healthy last year.

I get what you are saying ... if he was hurt, you'd think Kelly would have mentioned it.

But it's equally possible that Farley was hurt, and Kelly thinks that even if he were healthy, he would have been better off in the CB role.

I mean, this part:

I’m not going to say he was unfairly evaluated in a sense, but he was put in a very difficult position last year and we really think he can help our defense in a role that doesn’t focus on him being a hard-hitting safety.

To me that actually sounds like he is saying that Farley WAS hurt, i.e., Farley was almost "unfairly evaluated" in a sense because he is being judged on how he played last season when wasn't 100%, or "in a very difficult position." But Kelly thinks that, even taking into account that he was hurt, he is better off as an outside-in player.

GoldenToTheGrave
04-24-2014, 01:03 PM
When Kelly came in our db situation was dire! Probably need to go back a century or so to see such a mess.

If you were 6 foot and ran under a 5.0 forty we had a scholarship (turner)

Diaco had voodoo profiles for recruits and we missed the boat during his tutelage.

Those days are long gone and when KR goes top 10 in the draft we will be able to land at least one elite db every year.

Eh, we had some good ones. Harrison Smith was a 1st round pick ('nuf said), Blanton played pretty well, and Gary Gray did have a good year in 2010. Slaughter would have been a beast if he had stayed healthy (the fact that he was drafted despite missing all of 2012 with a major knee injury is a testament to that). But this is clearly the deepest we've ever been at DB and hopefully the best.

koonja
04-24-2014, 01:05 PM
I still don't see how this proves that he was healthy last year.

I get what you are saying ... if he was hurt, you'd think Kelly would have mentioned it.

But it's equally possible that Farley was hurt, and Kelly thinks that even if he were healthy, he would have been better off in the CB role.

I mean, this part:

To me that actually sounds like he is saying that Farley WAS hurt, i.e., Farley was almost "unfairly evaluated" in a sense because he is being judged on how he played last season when wasn't 100%, or "in a very difficult position." But Kelly thinks that, even taking into account that he was hurt, he is better off as an outside-in player.

I think you're grasping for staws a bit, and if Kelly didn't mention an injury during OR after a season (which he seems to have no problem doing - Greg Bryant, Nix, Tuitt - recent examples), it's more likely that there was never an injury.

What's the incentive for NOT mentioning an injury when trying to defend Farley's poor play? Seems like a great way to hush the Farley doubters such as myself if there was in fact an injury to blame.

Irish Fam
04-24-2014, 01:09 PM
I can't remember the last time I was comfortable with playing 4 different corners

Emcee77
04-24-2014, 01:20 PM
I think you're grasping for staws a bit, and if Kelly didn't mention an injury during OR after a season (which he seems to have no problem doing - Greg Bryant, Nix, Tuitt - recent examples), it's more likely that there was never an injury.

What's the incentive for NOT mentioning an injury when trying to defend Farley's poor play? Seems like a great way to hush the Farley doubters such as myself if there was in fact an injury to blame.

I've said all along that I think he did mention the injury after the season, or someone did, but I'm not sure. I heard something about which left me with no doubt that he was hurt.

I'm saying he did mention it, but obliquely. He's up there answering questions off the cuff; it's not like he stopped and thought about how some message board posters might interpret his answers. The injury was likely beside the point ... he was just explaining that he thinks Farley is a better player playing outside-in.

This debate is pointless. He didn't mention an injury, nor did he say that Farley was healthy. These remarks prove nothing.

koonja
04-24-2014, 01:26 PM
I've said all along that I think he did mention the injury after the season, or someone did, but I'm not sure. I heard something about which left me with no doubt that he was hurt.

I'm saying he did mention it, but obliquely. He's up there answering questions off the cuff; it's not like he stopped and thought about how some message board posters might interpret his answers. The injury was likely beside the point ... he was just explaining that he thinks Farley is a better player playing outside-in.

This debate is pointless. He didn't mention an injury, nor did he say that Farley was healthy. These remarks prove nothing.

Fair enough.

It's true that it doesn't prove anything, but the absence of clarification doesn't mean it's a 50-50 chance. BK has had no problem disclosing player injuries after the season, and IMO I don't see why he would for Farley when it'd be an easy way to explain his play last year. I personally think that if BK hasn't mentioned an injury, it's much more likely there wasn't one.

But like you said, you think you heard him at some point, so you could be right.

EuropeanDomer
04-24-2014, 01:36 PM
Laugh at Farley but Riggs was not much better last season.. both were terrible in fact.

gkIrish
04-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Laugh at Farley but Riggs was not much better last season.. both were terrible in fact.

Started all 12 games for a secondary that finished eigth in FBS opponent's passer rating in 2013.

Bogtrotter07
04-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Started all 12 games for a secondary that finished eigth in FBS opponent's passer rating in 2013.

Riggs has played safety and cornerback in that same backfield. Riggs has elite speed by anyone's standard. Riggs is a beast!

NDinL.A.
04-24-2014, 01:53 PM

A couple of people with impeccable sources said that Farley was hurt last season. He still sucked, and it's VERY possible that he just isn't very good, injury or not, but you are not wrong in thinking that people thought Farley was hurt. It was definitely out there, and I trust the people who said it.

NDinL.A.
04-24-2014, 01:54 PM

You spelled Shumate wrong.

Irish#1
04-24-2014, 02:25 PM
So, anyone here high on Riggs?

Old Man Mike
04-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Opinion:

2014 base starting defensive backfield: Collinsworth and Redfield at Safety {Collinsworth because none of the other guys except Baratti understand the job enough}, and Russell and Riggs at Corners.

2014 starting "nickel" defensive backfield {to be played almost as much as the normal base}: Collinsworth and Redfield at Safety, and Russell and Luke at Corners, with Riggs at Nickel.

So, yes, Riggs is REAL good and can't be kept off the field, and Coach honors his promise to him about him getting a full shot at corner.

GoldenToTheGrave
04-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Opinion:

2014 base starting defensive backfield: Collinsworth and Redfield at Safety {Collinsworth because none of the other guys except Baratti understand the job enough}, and Russell and Riggs at Corners.

2014 starting "nickel" defensive backfield {to be played almost as much as the normal base}: Collinsworth and Redfield at Safety, and Russell and Luke at Corners, with Riggs at Nickel.

So, yes, Riggs is REAL good and can't be kept off the field, and Coach honors his promise to him about him getting a full shot at corner.

This. I can see him matching up against guys like Jeremy Gallon who gave us fits last year.

Bogtrotter07
04-24-2014, 06:05 PM
This. I can see him matching up against guys like Jeremy Gallon who gave us fits last year.

In the NFL?

GoIrish41
04-24-2014, 06:08 PM
In the NFL?

Not Gallon per se, but guys like him. lol

Bogtrotter07
04-24-2014, 06:09 PM

Now who is this Gallon Perse guy?

woolybug25
04-24-2014, 06:09 PM

I'll tell you what, he'll come in handy against Agholor.

Bogtrotter07
04-24-2014, 06:12 PM
I'll tell you what, he'll come in handy against Agholor.

Ain't that the truth! Can you imagine Agholor dealing with Jaylon Smith and Cody Riggs?

woolybug25
04-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Ain't that the truth! Can you imagine Agholor dealing with Jaylon Smith and Cody Riggs?

We definitely will be able to get physical in our nickel package for sure. It will be easy to disquise blitzes too, it seems.

It will be interesting to see how aggressive we are in the secondary.

Grahambo
06-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Ever wonder what goes through a 5th year transfer's mind when he leaves everything he knows behind for ONE chance to experience Notre Dame football?

The Turning Point's John Follaco had a chance to ask Alex Wulfeck just that in his latest article.

If you claim to love ND then the few minutes it takes to read the article will be worth it. It will give you an idea what Cody Riggs is about to experience.

http://irishturningpoint.com/?p=6492

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ulukinatme
06-06-2014, 12:34 PM

Now who is this Gallon Perse guy?

Reminded me of this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Ulukinatme/index.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/mason000/celebrity.jpg

"What matters is does it work? Will it really mighty my penis, man? I've used products like this before, I don't mind telling you...and if the Penis Mightier works, then I'll buy a dozen!"

IrishLion
06-06-2014, 12:37 PM
"I'll take 'Ape Tit' for $200"
"It's not 'Ape Tit,' it's 'A Petite'.... nevermind."

dshans
06-06-2014, 12:46 PM
... than I'll buy a dozen!"

then, dammit!!!

ulukinatme
06-06-2014, 12:48 PM
then, dammit!!!

Dammit, I don't know what I was thinking...that seriously does irk me, I'm usually better than that :laugh:

irishfan
06-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Ever wonder what goes through a 5th year transfer's mind when he leaves everything he knows behind for ONE chance to experience Notre Dame football?

The Turning Point's John Follaco had a chance to ask Alex Wulfeck just that in his latest article.

If you claim to love ND then the few minutes it takes to read the article will be worth it. It will give you an idea what Cody Riggs is about to experience.

Starting Over Again | Irish Turning Point (http://irishturningpoint.com/?p=6492)

“I wish I could have graduated early and come that spring just to give me more time there. That’s how much I enjoyed it. It was a fantastic time,” he said. “Every game was like the Super Bowl. Every team was excited to play us because we are Notre Dame. Every atmosphere that we played in was just incredible and electric.”

Good quote from the story. Thanks for posting. I actually liked Wulfeck a lot. Was a great short-yardage punter, the kind that IMO should be on every roster unless you've got an AA at Punter. I certainly preferred him punting from the opponent's 40 than Brindza.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
06-06-2014, 12:56 PM

Starting Over Again | Irish Turning Point (http://irishturningpoint.com/?p=6492)

Good article. Thanks for sharing.

GBdomer
06-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Riggs will begin camp battling with Luke, in all likelihood, for the second Outside CB spot (opposite Russell). But he'll probably also see evaluation time as the potential "starting" Nickel (CB) Inside, playing the Slot, with Luke more likely to remain Outside in that package. We could be in that "base Nickel" scheme quite a lot given our opponents this year and our roster as is, making that position vital to BVG. Riggs has the ability and versatility to play both spots well.

Still haven't memorized jerseys yet and can't recall Riggs' number, but a few Frosh LBs appear to be: Morgan-5, Sykes-13, Tranquill-23, Williams-33. The rest coming shortly..

koonja
06-10-2014, 06:09 PM
I think Riggs is going to win that 2nd spot.

GBdomer
06-10-2014, 06:11 PM
I hope not. I think he could be deadly in the slot and I think Cole Luke will a stud. Cole Luke reminded me so much of Cliff Harris coming out of high school. I hope we give Luke a look at KR or PR. I think his ball skills are elite.

IrishTP
06-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Riggs will begin camp battling with Luke, in all likelihood, for the second Outside CB spot (opposite Russell). But he'll probably also see evaluation time as the potential "starting" Nickel (CB) Inside, playing the Slot, with Luke more likely to remain Outside in that package. We could be in that "base Nickel" scheme quite a lot given our opponents this year and our roster as is, making that position vital to BVG. Riggs has the ability and versatility to play both spots well.

Still haven't memorized jerseys yet and can't recall Riggs' number, but a few Frosh LBs appear to be: Morgan-5, Sykes-13, Tranquill-23, Williams-33. The rest coming shortly..

Cite your source please.

GBdomer
06-10-2014, 08:18 PM
TJ man. I didn't write that up, I hope everyone knows that lol

Crazy Balki
06-10-2014, 08:46 PM

I would think so too, since the secondary is a lot deeper and more versatile at this point than LB. Luke and Russell as the boundary and field corner and Riggs the Nickel. I imagine that they will be in a base nickel almost half the time due to the overall team speed they'll be facing this year. If that is the case, who would be the 2nd LB? I'd imagine it would be either Schmidt or Councell at the beginning, or possibly Morgan if he impresses.

NDdomer2
06-10-2014, 10:08 PM
Knowing you didn't write it and knowing who did, are very different.

Buster Bluth
06-10-2014, 10:30 PM
TJ man. I didn't write that up, I hope everyone knows that lol

The GB people always write with grammatical error, to hide their sources.

dublinirish
06-18-2014, 06:43 AM
reportedly will wear #2 in the fall

ab2cmiller
06-18-2014, 09:16 AM
reportedly will wear #2 in the fall

Cool, Riggs gets it for a year and then Tranquill earns it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Looks like I'll be wearin #2⃣3⃣ for the Fightin' Irish this year🍀🍀🍀 Guess I gotta go and earn my stripes for #2⃣</p>&mdash; ✈️ Drue Tranquill✈️ (@d_TraNquill) <a href="https://twitter.com/d_TraNquill/statuses/473544945400180736">June 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

dublinirish
06-18-2014, 10:35 AM
yeah when drue said "this year" i figured it would be riggs that gets #2

NCND
06-18-2014, 10:38 AM
yeah when drue said "this year" i figured it would be riggs that gets #2

Yea. He was listed as #2 in at least two of the National preseason magazines that I have.

EuropeanDomer
06-20-2014, 07:00 AM
Had a good game against LSU in my opinion (#31), he mostly plays as a deep safety and in the slot.

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/RiggsvsLSU_1c73b464a742868f55dcd1da8c2e43fe.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/5e35b06d244d46d14c47073f940d45e5.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/9962194fd9b64b23f45df3a47681c405.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/kk_000b54a0abd2182aee02cd3abbca28ac.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/ss_55ca8223289ff489ea3b51465280edde.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/mm_103431de6c3e478d3ab3dd8ae08328a1.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/aa_b9dbe37d819b71e2a66b15690c0e9e96.gif

EuropeanDomer
06-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Against FSU (first half, he barely played in the second half, the game was already finished) #31

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/RiggsvsFS_13f6dfc653e3159e034cdcfd8a48cdfe.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Riigs_5f3c387d9e058ef1464994d14b2852ef.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Riggss_a3ff55d39fcd14571de6efd2d64ae93b.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/puntr_0936fdd59af815463c76e1fe16493faa.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/bighit_257710f0a7c8c568cf42c452c3a3dc3f.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/bighit2_3ed62316abc07000d0b1dea9bfadb46d.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Riggshelp_dbd0010e866c19520218cd4da2e488d9.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/baddefense_f7c5a23ef80c6b729e053105b73e525c.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/oleary_804aac9646a1855b62e5c3d204e6a56c.gif

Ironman8
06-24-2014, 09:37 PM
Back on twitter with the handle @CodyRiggs31 for those interested.

GBdomer
07-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Per Intel

He has been very impressive and they feel he will start opposite of 6. With Cole Luke being the 3rd corner in. Nick Watkins is pretty much everything they have hoped for. Still very high praise for Devin Butler. They have also been impressed with the "Climb" of Maximus

Old Man Mike
07-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Yep. Amazing how IE guys can ignore the concrete information like Riggs being elite, and taking a lot of time to choose where he would go so as to start at Corner, and then saying that Riggs wouldn't be playing except when in nickel. I understood the good feelings for Cole Luke, but these writings were on the wall long ago.

This gives us two elite corners, and lets Van Gorder release the Kraken.

vmgsf
07-05-2014, 06:47 AM
OMM you made me Google Kraken. I hope and think BVG is a Master Chef. Give BVG enough talented and smart and versatile football players mixed in with solid football players and he will prepare some meals that will be very tasty for the Fighting Irish but not so tasty for the other team. The menu may change from week to week depending on what BVG feels is the most indigestible meal he can prepare for the opponent. Next year should be interesting.

ulukinatme
07-05-2014, 07:44 AM
OMM you made me Google Kraken. I hope and think BVG is a Master Chef.

What does Greek Mythology have to do with cooking?

yankeeND
07-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Yep. Amazing how IE guys can ignore the concrete information like Riggs being elite, and taking a lot of time to choose where he would go so as to start at Corner, and then saying that Riggs wouldn't be playing except when in nickel. I understood the good feelings for Cole Luke, but these writings were on the wall long ago.

This gives us two elite corners, and lets Van Gorder release the Kraken.

It can't be overstated enough what he and Russell are going to do for our pass rush this season. We have not had the benefit from this in a long time. I'll say it now, Jaylon's gonna eat this year!

Old Man Mike
07-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Just thinking about "Release The Kraken!!!".

The Hollywood-style exhortation is, of course, when King Neptune or occasionally some other powerful character decides that he's had it with some enemy and orders the opening of the sea gates so that the nearly all-powerful Beast contained within them can roam forth and obliterate the enemy in "extreme prejudice." The mythological Kraken is often a Mighty Eight-armed Monster, thereby the Grandfather of all Octopi.

Our Kraken? Day, Jones, Okwara, Springmann, Smith, Councell, Grace, and blitzing safety Redfield? {or pick your own eight-armed monster.} They only can be released and swamp the hated enemy if the Mercurial corners [Russell and Riggs] can shutdown the enemy fliers for about a 4 count.

So, yeh: Release The Kraken!!!

Bogtrotter07
07-05-2014, 11:36 AM
OMM you made me Google Kraken. I hope and think BVG is a Master Chef. Give BVG enough talented and smart and versatile football players mixed in with solid football players and he will prepare some meals that will be very tasty for the Fighting Irish but not so tasty for the other team. The menu may change from week to week depending on what BVG feels is the most indigestible meal he can prepare for the opponent. Next year should be interesting.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gb2zIR2rvRQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just trying to help . . .

And I will add to that. With the safety experience, and if Max Redfield develops half as much as is rumored, we are going to have a darned near elite defensive backfield. Yes, I said, "Darned!"

Remember we are also going to have linebackers fast and athletic enough to play safety : (those that did, could, or would; Onwualu, Turner, Tranquil, and those in my opinion that could because they are athletic enough, Jaylon Smith.)

Also, I see that BVG can move guys up front to better suited positions. Both first DE's Okwara and Williams, as OMM pointed out yesterday can seal the edge or, don't have to think, and can use their skills to rush the passer.

And as far as DT's go. Jarron Jones can be a man-hammer, cloaking the blitz and shutting down pass lanes with his reach, and Day sliding down the line as he so effectively has done in two year will be devastating in the middle. Backups and role players like Hounshell, Cage, and Springman, will allow for rested defenders, and BVG to really confuse offenses. Most of the guys listed can slide between end and tackle, as most of the linebackers can slide from outside to inside.

All in all from back to front, BVG has a potential Kracken-lackey-offense-killing-machine on his hands. If the kids buy in, and with a little health related luck this year, hopefully we will see great defensive improvement.

Note : I am not convinced that the devastating injures suffered on defense last year weren't, in general, because of the years of wear and tear of two-gapping, and specifically with the designed passive defense against Navy last year.

NOTE after the fact : I forgot about Isaac Rochell! TP has a great thread with an article about the 4-3 Under, defensive alignments. Coach T, (author) sees Rochell as potentially passing Williams this year. It is about the third time I have heard something like that! Click here : http://www.irishenvy.com/forums/notre-dame-football/201321-4-3-under.html

TheChosen1
07-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Back on twitter with the handle @CodyRiggs31 for those interested.

@DevinButler_12: @CodyRiggs31 <== this is a fake account everybody!! Let's all report this for my bro straight for his mouth this is fake!

Bogtrotter07
07-05-2014, 12:16 PM
The plot thickens . . .

Old Man Mike
07-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Hah!!! Good job, Bogs. Exactly what I want our defense to be in Beast Mode.

EuropeanDomer
07-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Cody Riggs vs Arkansas (2013) | Draft Breakdown (http://draftbreakdown.com/video/cody-riggs-vs-arkansas-2013/)

JTLA
07-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Cody Riggs vs Arkansas (2013) | Draft Breakdown (http://draftbreakdown.com/video/cody-riggs-vs-arkansas-2013/)

weird tape

Veritate Duce Progredi
07-23-2014, 03:28 PM

Not impressed by that tape, saw him overshoot players a lot and bite on play action fakes. Yikes, I was expecting more from him, he may not take a spot away from Cole Luke.

Cackalacky
07-23-2014, 04:01 PM
He looks to be out of position at Safety. I think he will be much better at CB.

BleedBlueGold
07-23-2014, 04:08 PM
I refuse to make assumptions and/or jump to conclusions from a clip that shows a few plays from one game. The said can be said in Ishaq's thread.

And is it just me, or are most of the plays in these "highlight" tapes bad/missed plays? #agenda?

ryno 24
07-23-2014, 04:26 PM
These are not highlight tapes but every play that that player was involved in during the game(or so I believe) The tape did not look poorly on him. Not every player in every play of every game is going to make a great play.

EuropeanDomer
07-23-2014, 04:34 PM
I refuse to make assumptions and/or jump to conclusions from a clip that shows a few plays from one game. The said can be said in Ishaq's thread.

And is it just me, or are most of the plays in these "highlight" tapes bad/missed plays? #agenda?

I did not make this vid, it is from draftbreakdown.com. There are all of his snaps against Arkansas, not just a few plays. They only made one video of Riggs, for now.

NDinL.A.
07-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Poster on ISD who isn't one to BS says he saw BVG on the field before a Braves game...talked for about 30 seconds or so. But he said that the one player BVG raved about was Riggs. Take it for what it's worth...

BleedBlueGold
07-23-2014, 04:45 PM
These are not highlight tapes but every play that that player was involved in during the game(or so I believe) The tape did not look poorly on him. Not every player in every play of every game is going to make a great play.

I'm aware. But it's still just one game and some posters are already predicting depth charts based off it. It's stupid.

Irish YJ
07-23-2014, 05:14 PM
Not impressed by that tape, saw him overshoot players a lot and bite on play action fakes. Yikes, I was expecting more from him, he may not take a spot away from Cole Luke.

I expect Riggs and Luke to be on the field at the same time,,,,, a lot!

Poster on ISD who isn't one to BS says he saw BVG on the field before a Braves game...talked for about 30 seconds or so. But he said that the one player BVG raved about was Riggs. Take it for what it's worth...

Heard similar stuff from a guy at the office who's brother has close ties to the UGA program. To expand, I hear that the flexibility that he provides gives BVG the option to go several ways, and become a lot more aggressive (not to mention allows ND to hide some other potential weaknesses). I'm not great with Xs and Os like some people are, and most of went over my head, but what I heard sure sounded good.

I'm aware. But it's still just one game and some posters are already predicting depth charts based off it. It's stupid.

This.... good grief

ResLife Hero
08-22-2014, 09:06 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Notre Dame excited to see what 'free agent' Cody Riggs can do - <a href="http://t.co/E2zC3MgMLz">http://t.co/E2zC3MgMLz</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IrishTalk?src=hash">#IrishTalk</a></p>&mdash; Irish Talk (@CSNIrish) <a href="https://twitter.com/CSNIrish/statuses/502969668400082944">August 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

"He was one of the best free agent pickups that I've been associated with," secondary coach Kerry Cooks said. "You got a guy who has experience playing in the SEC, he's got experience playing corner, he's got experience playing safety, he's got experience playing in big games so he's got a great feel and understanding for the game. And then he comes from a system that's kind of NFL-bound, a lot like the one that we're building right now.

"… He's fit in very nicely. And he brings that leadership. He's not an overly vocal guy, but when he comes to work, he comes to work. He doesn't say anything, he doesn't complain, so that's always good to have that, especially when you have some young corners that are still trying to learn the game."

vmgsf
08-23-2014, 08:18 AM
Cody, very glad you here. Keep working in the classroom and on the field. Success in football and success in life.

Who'saWildManNow
08-23-2014, 08:24 AM
What a smooth transition this kid had made. He seems very savvy in his decision making. Come to ND and enhance your profile both in the classroom and on the field. There's nothing better than a consummate professional that brings it every day.. It lifts everyone around them.

I couldn't be happier with this late pick-up.

Pachuco
08-23-2014, 06:44 PM
What a smooth transition this kid had made. He seems very savvy in his decision making. Come to ND and enhance your profile both in the classroom and on the field. There's nothing better than a consummate professional that brings it every day.. It lifts everyone around them.

I couldn't be happier with this late pick-up.

I completely agree, man. Such a solid pick-up. We need maturity on this team.

While embroiled with an academic scandal, we bring in a talented transfer precisely for the academic opportunities provided.

dang227
08-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Really like this kid and think he is going to have a huge year.

BGIF
11-22-2014, 03:07 AM
Notebook: Time for Notre Dame's Jay Hayes to grow up — again - Notre Dame Insider: Notre Dame Football (http://www.ndinsider.com/football/notebook-time-for-notre-dame-s-jay-hayes-to-grow/article_5909eb42-710e-11e4-a1d8-5fd134c17044.html)
Eric Hansen

The stress reaction in cornerback Cody Riggs’ foot is improving, per Kelly, and the grad student cornerback should see increased playing time Saturday.

Riggs, a starter for most of the season, missed the Arizona State game on Nov. 8 and shared time with sophomore Devin Butler this past Saturday against Northwestern.

ResLife Hero
03-09-2015, 01:28 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>.<a href="https://twitter.com/timprister">@timprister</a> catches up with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash">#NotreDame</a> CB Cody Riggs as he prepares for the NFL Draft and commute to school: <a href="http://t.co/Q6Jt2wMTZQ">http://t.co/Q6Jt2wMTZQ</a></p>&mdash; Jake Brown (@Jake_Brown) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jake_Brown/status/574969556407599105">March 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

PANDFAN
04-23-2015, 11:06 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Cody Riggs appears to be making the rounds. Reported workouts with the Patriots, Dolphins, and Ravens. <a href="https://t.co/DCrI5MFDjg">https://t.co/DCrI5MFDjg</a></p>&mdash; BlueandGold.com (@BGInews) <a href="https://twitter.com/BGInews/status/591237827901325313">April 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

dublinirish
04-23-2015, 11:08 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Cody Riggs appears to be making the rounds. Reported workouts with the Patriots, Dolphins, and Ravens. <a href="https://t.co/DCrI5MFDjg">https://t.co/DCrI5MFDjg</a></p>&mdash; BlueandGold.com (@BGInews) <a href="https://twitter.com/BGInews/status/591237827901325313">April 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

thats great that he got healthy in time to make the visits and show teams what he can do in workouts after his injury riddled pro day

GoldenToTheGrave
04-23-2015, 11:28 AM
If Bennet Jackson could get drafted, Riggs should find an NFL roster. Probably a dedicated slot guy but he's too good of a player to not find a spot. I'm still blown away that he didn't get a combine invite.

Veritate Duce Progredi
04-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Riggs is smart enough to play nickel corner, what kills him is his size (or lack thereof). But I think his heart wins out and he at least makes a training squad.

Sherm Sticky
04-23-2015, 07:49 PM
Riggs should make a roster. He can be the Nickle DB and play core special teams. He is vertically challenged, but he makes up for that with smarts and quick feet.

Sent via tapatalk

GoldenDome
04-23-2015, 08:08 PM
Riggs is smart enough to play nickel corner, what kills him is his size (or lack thereof). But I think his heart wins out and he at least makes a training squad.

Nickel corners are in great need, especially if they can break on the ball, tackle, and punt return. He (Riggs) should find a roster spot no problem so long as he plays the position physical and contributes on special teams.

Sherm Sticky
04-23-2015, 08:16 PM
Nickel corners are in great need, especially if they can break on the ball, tackle, and punt return. He (Riggs) should find a roster spot no problem so long as he plays the position physical and contributes on special teams.

1. Can break on the ball. Check, his quick feet and reaction got him a pick in the Michigan game.
2. Physical. Check, when he played safety at Florida the kid laid the wood.
3. Punt return. Check, did well this past year.

Sent via tapatalk

ndcoltsfan2010
04-23-2015, 11:39 PM
I really think this guy will find a home somewhere in the NFL. Very good football player.

Junkhead
04-23-2015, 11:47 PM
I really think this guy will find a home somewhere in the NFL. Very good football player.

This. Would have liked to have him at ND for 4+ years!

Andy in Sactown
04-24-2015, 03:42 AM
Thankful to have him for a season, but also aware that he's a 53-man roster guy in a slot/rotational DB position in the league. Wish him and his the very best moving forward.

dublinirish
04-24-2015, 04:29 AM
nickel backs are always on the field in NFL defenses these days, i reckon he has a good chance

Irish Insanity
04-24-2015, 08:42 AM
nickel backs are always on the field in NFL defenses these days, i reckon he has a good chance

I thought everyone hated Nickelback

connor_in
04-24-2015, 09:11 AM
Worst case scenario...gives it a go...doesn't work out NFL-wise (but I think he has a decent shot)...then goes plan B, ND graduate degree and connections gets him a good job and still a good life

Black Irish
04-24-2015, 09:29 AM

One of those bands that everyone claims to hate but somehow still sells millions of records and sells out concert date after concert date. I don't have a problem with them because I take them for what they are; fun, crank-it-up junk food rock music. It ain't all got to be Mozart.

Oh, and I think Riggs has a fair shot to make a NFL roster. Good luck to him.

irishog77
04-25-2015, 01:14 AM

The lead singer had a pretty sweet mane.

connor_in
04-25-2015, 01:17 AM
The lead singer had a pretty sweet mane.

Look at this photograph...

http://themetalreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/0.jpeg

Every time I do it makes me laugh

Bogtrotter07
04-25-2015, 10:27 AM
Look at this photograph...

http://themetalreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/0.jpeg

Every time I do it makes me laugh

Man, what's a matter with ye? Have some decency!

Luckylucci
04-27-2015, 04:00 PM
Dallas Cowboys get NCAA's best in seven-round mock draft (http://notredame.247sports.com/Bolt/Dallas-Cowboys-get-NCAAs-best-in-seven-round-mock-draft-36984377)

This mock has the Cowboys drafting Riggs in the 7th round.

dublinirish
04-30-2015, 09:02 AM
2015 NFL draft: Potential impact undrafted free agents - NFL - SI.com (http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/04/28/2015-nfl-draft-impact-undrafted-free-agents-wes-welker)

•​ Cody Riggs, CB, Notre Dame: Riggs spent four years at Florida before transferring to Notre Dame as a fifth-year senior in 2014, and that kind of high-profile background has brought him valuable tutelage from three different defensive coordinators with NFL experience: Falcons head coach Dan Quinn and Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin at Florida, and former Falcons DC Brian VanGorder at Notre Dame. He’s a known quantity by enough people in the league to get a shot somewhere, and though small by NFL standards (5'9", 187 pounds) his best shot to stick will be as a team’s fourth or fifth cornerback who can contribute heavily on special teams.

Riggs had individual workouts this spring for cornerback-needy clubs like the Patriots and Dolphins, and whoever lands him will be getting a mature 23-year-old who started at Notre Dame last season, where he transferred in order to pursue a graduate degree in business management. (He’s scheduled to complete his course work this week, just before Thursday’s first round commences.) Riggs struggled with a foot injury in the second half of last season, and a hamstring issue limited him somewhat at his pro day, but he’s healthy now and most likely will be a priority target early on in the collegiate free agent signing frenzy.

phork
04-30-2015, 10:03 AM
I wish we had that kid his whole career. Loved his play style ad swagger.

NDdomer2
04-30-2015, 10:03 AM
sucks to not hear your name called during draft but awesome that he is going to get his chance.

More awesome that he is completing his graduate work!

bkess8
05-03-2015, 12:56 AM
Signed as an undrafted free agent by the Tennessee Titans today.

edgesofsanity
05-03-2015, 01:51 AM
Good spot for him. Tennessee needed a CB and didn't draft one.

CanadalovesND
09-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Survived final cuts, made Tennessee Titans 53 man roster as their 5th CB and backup nickel.

He also became the first undrafted cornerback to make the initial 53-man roster in the Titans era.

Not too shabby. Well done, Cody!

Booslum31
09-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Survived final cuts, made Tennessee Titans 53 man roster as their 5th CB and backup nickel.

He also became the first undrafted cornerback to make the initial 53-man roster in the Titans era.

Not too shabby. Well done, Cody!

Atta boy Cody! That's great!

yankeehater
12-20-2015, 03:45 PM
A couple of tackles and a fumble recovery in the first half for the Titans today.

greyhammer90
08-31-2016, 11:02 PM
Titans Home (http://m.titansonline.com/news/article-4/DirectSnaps-Cody-Riggs-Proving-Draft-Status-is-Irrelevant/5b046cbb-8d48-4a42-b74d-c62d0c8f3439)

Awesome kid.

dwshade
08-31-2016, 11:20 PM
Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Redbar
09-01-2016, 01:44 AM
Buena Suerte Mr. Riggs! Thanks for sharing Mr. Hammer

Veritate Duce Progredi
09-01-2016, 08:54 AM
Titans Home (http://m.titansonline.com/news/article-4/DirectSnaps-Cody-Riggs-Proving-Draft-Status-is-Irrelevant/5b046cbb-8d48-4a42-b74d-c62d0c8f3439)

Awesome kid.

Great story, thanks for posting it.

GoldenToTheGrave
09-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Anybody who was watching in 2014 knew Riggs was a player, not to mention the absolutely stacked Florida backfields on which he played for three and started for two. He's a smart, athletic playmaker and was a steal as an UDFA.

Emcee77
09-01-2016, 11:28 AM
He's one of those kids who renews your faith in the big-time college football system. Some days, it seems like there are too many stories of kids who can't handle the pressure of being full-time college students and full-time athletes at once, and I can't help but wonder if we aren't doing a disservice to these kids by putting them in a system that essentially forces them to do too many things at once, with the result that they end up doing none of them well. As much as I love college football, I have real misgivings about it, at least the way it works now at big-time schools.

But kids like Cody remind you that those extraordinary kids who are not just able to cope with the pressure of that system, but thrive in it, are out there. It's a welcome reminder. So happy for him and proud of his success.

irishog77
09-13-2016, 12:05 AM
The Titans released him last week to make room on the 53 man roster when they signed Josh Kline from the patriots.

They resigned him today though when they released Alex Tanney.