PDA

View Full Version : '10 FL CB Cody Riggs (Notre Dame Transferee)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Sherm Sticky
02-07-2014, 01:28 PM
I'd think Butler would be the only CB that it would really be even plausible with. Another guy would be moving Prosise back to Safety, and having him RS this season to get re-acclimated.
Prosise did red shirt his freshman year so the would be out.

I actually really like Prosise at WR/slot. He made some nice plays during the bowl game. Since I was at the bowl game and could see the whole field; Prosise was open throughout the whole after noon, but Tommy rarely looked his way. i'm not sure if Tommy missed him or CJ was a later option, or Tommy didn't trust CJ. But, Prosise was wide open so msany times down the seem.

Ironman8
02-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Prosise did redshirt though.

Ah yeah your right. Oh well.

Sherm Sticky
02-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Maybe ... we tried to do that with Kona in 2011. But those guys you mentioned are all serious contributors. I don't think we'd want to shut any of them down.

Honestly, what I think getting Riggs would allow us to do is something I know you'll love, Sherm. Use Kinlaw on offense and special teams. If we have a good 2015 CB class I could see that being a permanent switch. He's the punt returner/slot WR we didn't get in the 2014 class.
Yes I would. I think Kinlaw would be perfect as a Riddick/Carlisle type player. Line him up in the back field, the slot, run jet sweeps with him. My only concern is the team is so loaded at that position right now: Carlisle, Prosise, Hunter jr, maybe Onwaulu, add in Folston and Bryant. Damn that's nasty right there.

I really would love to see Kinlaw on KR&PR.

Brooklyn
02-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Renting a player for a year doesn't thrill me. If he does make the move he will provide depth and competition.

Right now the options are:

1. Getting Riggs (or someone like Riggs)
2. Keeping open scholarship
3. Giving a walkon a scholarship.

Personally the choice for me is easy. Get a guy who doesn't mess with #s in the future, with lots of starting experience and experience playing multiple positions.

palinurus
02-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Okay, I say we take him this time. But if he snubs us again, I'm finished with him.

Irish#1
02-07-2014, 01:43 PM
He was most of the time but when he got annoyed he went postal.

High maintenance settling frequent pissing contests with other posters and targeting mods ... repeatedly. Like several (many?) others, he got repeated counseling, then warnings from several mods, then he was terminated.

I think he's still on my Friends List along with one or two other guys that wore out their welcome.

Sounds like IrishPat! Did they ever get into it? lol

I'm not familiar with Riggs. I'm assuming he's pretty good since BK is looking into this?

Luckylucci
02-07-2014, 01:46 PM
I'm a little behind in this thread but TJ posted that this isn't a football decision. If it was he'd be staying in Florida. So potential playing time isn't the sell here. There is interest both ways but we're not trying to sell him a starting spot or something like. Since hearing that it's a no-brainer, IMO. He at worst is a mentor to younger CB's.

palinurus
02-07-2014, 01:48 PM
I'm a little behind in this thread but TJ posted that this isn't a football decision. If it was he'd be staying in Florida. So potential playing time isn't the sell here. There is interest both ways but we're not trying to sell him a starting spot or something like. Since hearing that it's a no-brainer, IMO. He at worst is a mentor to younger CB's.

And a bridge to 2015's more experienced juniors.

ryno 24
02-07-2014, 01:48 PM
He could definitely compete at the slot nickel. So I would be very happy. I like Russell and Luke next year at the corner's. I am real high on the Luke.

Irishman77
02-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Cody big hit

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N6MBSe4Llj8

IrishHokie22
I'd love to see us bring this guy in. He has starting experience with a good SEC defense. I've never watched him closely, but I imagine he'd be a massive upgrade to Farley at safety or he could probably push Luke/Watkins at CB.

And it doesn't hurt our scholarship total beyond this season. Not to throw any guys under the bus, but a guy like Riggs would be much more useful to us in 2014 than someone like Massa or Utopo, IMO.

Luckylucci
NVM, already stated.

PANDFAN
02-07-2014, 01:53 PM

beautiful! i like this a lot!!!

EuropeanDomer
02-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Florida fans are saying that he is lying and using a BS excuse. Anyway, do want!

ThePiombino
02-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Didn't we do this with a formerly Wake Forest punter this past season?

Yes, I thought so.

Luckylucci
02-07-2014, 01:57 PM
What are the estimated timelines associated with this ? Basically, when does he actually have to decide and such ?

TJ said that a decision during the month is likely.

palinurus
02-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Florida fans are saying that he is lying and using a BS excuse. All the more, do want!

FIFY

Irishman77
02-07-2014, 02:00 PM
I say we take Poole instead.

NDPhilly
02-07-2014, 02:04 PM
I bet he starts somewhere if he comes here. Kid has started 25 games in the last few years for one of the best secondary's in the country. He isn't going to be a backup to our mediocre safetys.

wizards8507
02-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Cody big hit

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N6MBSe4Llj8

Targeting.

ryno 24
02-07-2014, 02:09 PM
I see him being the starting nickel corner, and splitting time with Shumate

rocket66
02-07-2014, 02:10 PM
I bet he starts somewhere if he comes here. Kid has started 25 games in the last few years for one of the best secondary's in the country. He isn't going to be a backup to our mediocre safetys.

Farley???

BGIF
02-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by BGIF
I'm more excited than NSD as this would be a Notre Dame precedent setter and would require cooperation between AD, Admissions, and Administration to make this happen in a short period of time.

Didn't we do this with a formerly Wake Forest punter this past season?

My enthusiasm isn't waned as there are some similarities and some differences between Wulfeck and Cody.

ND did take Alex Wulfeck as a Graduate Student in 2013 but in all the stories I was able to find it appears he came as a walk-on not as a scholarship player. I'll hazard a guess that with 40 games played, 26 as a Starter, Cody is looking for a scholarship. I don't know either Wulfeck's or Cody's academic or financial capabilities. Finances could be a factor to the player.

The articles on Wulfeck's acceptance were in late February so there's time.

I was not able to determine which graduate school Wulfeck attended. The Pinstripe Bowl Media Guide didn't mention it. Cody wants an MBA or a Masters in Science in Business. ND offers both through Mendoza.

Wulfeck took summer classes at ND so he was on campus to practice before Fall. Mendoza offers a one year and two year MBA program. As I read the descriptions the one year program is the two year program compressed in 3 semesters Summer, Fall, Spring with no internship. The MSB is a 11 month program but spread over 3 semesters. The MSB appears to be for those who are making a change in major (not a business undergrad).

Keep in mind football players try to lighten their load during the playing season as they have less time available. Students without a business background take those classes in summer school so Cody's summer would be full.

From the Mendoza site
The Master of Science in Business (MSB) is an 11-month graduate program for non-business undergraduates with little or no work experience. The aim of the program is to bridge a student’s undergraduate work with its application in a business context by providing fundamental business knowledge and skills.

The MSB program takes place over three semesters—summer, fall and spring—and provides students with a thorough grounding in business fundamentals, such as accounting, finance, business ethics, marketing and management principles as well as an optional international study trip to China. In addition, the 44 hours of coursework includes two integrative courses that enable students to combine the knowledge and skills they gained through their undergraduate major with business fundamentals in a way that creates a unique personal brand.

notredomer23
02-07-2014, 02:31 PM

He also missed most of 2012 or else he would have been a 3 year starter. Definitely hope we can get Riggs on board. I remember he was one of my favorites when we were recruiting him.

tussin
02-07-2014, 02:38 PM
1. Does he have any NFL potential?

2. Does ND have a 1 year MBA? This seems like a really good selling point we can do with 5th years in the future (assuming they have a solid head on their shoulders).

ND offers these guys a perfect opportunity to: a) showcase football ability in 5th year on a national stage and b) leave with a graduate degree that is actually worth something and will seriously enhance one's employability (particularly in the midwest).

wizards8507
02-07-2014, 02:41 PM
2. Does ND have a 1 year MBA? This seems like a really good selling point we can do with 5th years in the future (assuming they have a solid head on their shoulders).

"Students who have taken statistics and financial accounting from an accredited university where English is the primary language, may apply for the Notre Dame One-Year MBA program. Enrollment is not encouraged for those who are seeking a drastic or significant career change. Pioneered by Notre Dame in 1982, the program enables students to begin study in May and graduate the following May."

notredomer23
02-07-2014, 02:41 PM
1. Does he have any NFL potential?

ND offers these guys a perfect opportunity to: a) showcase football ability in 5th year on a national stage and b) leave with a graduate degree that is actually worth something and will seriously enhance one's employability (particularly in the midwest).

1. At corner, possibly. At safety, I would have to think he is too small. Definitely a take, and would in all likelihood start at either safety or corner.

2. I believe as mentioned, they have an 11 month program for non-business majors that he would qualify for. A masters of science in business.

wizards8507
02-07-2014, 02:42 PM
2. I believe as mentioned, they have an 11 month program for non-business majors that he would qualify for. A masters of science in business.

The MSB is a bullshit degree. Anyone who's anyone in the business world would look at that and promptly reply "WTF?"

See also: Master of Accountancy (which I have). The only point of the MAcc is to get credit hours for the CPA exam just like the only point of the MSB is if you majored in something useless as an undergrad.

tussin
02-07-2014, 02:44 PM
The MSB is a bullshit degree. Anyone who's anyone in the business world would look at that and promptly reply "WTF?"

See also: Master of Accountancy (which I have). The only point of the MAcc is to get credit hours for the CPA exam just like the only point of the MSB is if you majored in something useless as an undergrad.

Agreed. If this is truly an academics decision, the value of an MBA far outweighs MSB.

notredomer23
02-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Well here is what ND's 1 year MBA site says:

[B]An undergraduate degree in business from an accredited university where English is the primary language
OR a demonstrated proficiency in fundamental business knowledge and skills (usually gained through significant work experience)

Three credit hours of Financial Accounting

Three credit hours of Statistic/B]

wizards8507
Agreed. If this is truly an academics decision, the value of an MBA far outweighs MSB.

And ND offers a one-year MBA so it's a non-issue anyways.

notredomer23
Well here is what ND's 1 year MBA site says:

[B]An undergraduate degree in business from an accredited university where English is the primary language
OR a demonstrated proficiency in fundamental business knowledge and skills (usually gained through significant work experience)

Three credit hours of Financial Accounting

Three credit hours of Statistic/B]

BGIF
02-07-2014, 03:07 PM

Actually you both need to turn your degrees back in for making a detailed decison from an ISD intel report and snippets of articles.

The one article points out what his undergraduate degree is in. IF he gets a scholarship he only has a 12 month window (Summer, Fall and Spring).

How is he paying for it otherwise? Clue there's no info provided.

Would Mendoza accept him for the shorter program but not the longer? There are reasons they offer a degree you too hold in disdain.

If Cody does get a shot at the NFL he wouldn't be able to do an internship in the near term would he?

Not everybody wants to work on Wall Street or run a fortune 500 company. I know three MBA's who are Doctors, MDs. Two got MBA's because they felt it would be beneficial to their practice. One runs a hospital. I know a bunch of Engineering MBA's. They got their degrees to further their engineering careers not as the destination. I know a MBA that runs a medical practice. She makes a nice salary but probably not what your aspirations are. Of course her father died young "chasing the carrot". She made a career objective not to die from ulcers or a heart attack before 40. Her job selection is the life track she planned. She's very happy.

I suspect Cody has this a lot more thought out and further along then we do.

Cpnd1
02-07-2014, 03:19 PM
@NDatRivals: #Florida defensive back Cody Riggs is “interested” in exploring #NotreDame as a fifth year option ($): Riggs ‘interested' in Irish switch (http://t.co/3Z6yyraWfY)

Anything new?

Irish#1
02-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Anyone willing to answer my question?

How good is he, all conference? He played in the SEC, so he has to be fast, right?

tussin
02-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Actually you both need to turn your degrees back in for making a detailed decison from an ISD intel report and snippets of articles.

The one article points out what his undergraduate degree is in. IF he gets a scholarship he only has a 12 month window (Summer, Fall and Spring).

How is he paying for it otherwise? Clue there's no info provided.

Would Mendoza accept him for the shorter program but not the longer? There are reasons they offer a degree you too hold in disdain.

If Cody does get a shot at the NFL he wouldn't be able to do an internship in the near term would he?

Not everybody wants to work on Wall Street or run a fortune 500 company. I know three MBA's who are Doctors, MDs. Two got MBA's because they felt it would be beneficial to their practice. One runs a hospital. I know a bunch of Engineering MBA's. They got their degrees to further their engineering careers not as the destination. I know a MBA that runs a medical practice. She makes a nice salary but probably not what your aspirations are. Of course her father died young "chasing the carrot". She made a career objective not to die from ulcers or a heart attack before 40. Her job selection is the life track she planned. She's very happy.

I suspect Cody has this a lot more thought out and further along then we do.

Nothing in your patronizing, ego-centric rant disputes anything what I said. The MSB places more weight on business theory than practice, which may make sense for someone of Cody Riggs background.

However, despite those benefits, the ROI of an MBA far outweighs that of a MSB. If he gets admitted to Mendoza, he should go there. That would be more in line with the "40 year decision" that everyone points to on this board.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think I will "turn in my degree." I will also keep your anecdote about the 3 people you know in mind when/if I am applying for an MBA. Truly enlightening stuff.

Jebediah Springfield
02-07-2014, 06:36 PM
http://www.mobileapptesting.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/thems-fighting-words.jpg

yankeeND
02-08-2014, 12:35 PM
This would be such a good pick-up for all the right reasons. Would be nice if this scenario with similar circumstances started to become the norm, especially if we continue to struggle filling up to 85. Was so disappointed when he chose Florida and I feel these types of kids could pay huge dividends when prospects visit as the opinion of a player like Riggs could sway a prospect our way.

Emcee77
02-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Loy posted an update. Nothing we don't know ... he spoke to Riggs, who confirmed that he is interested in ND. Loy came away impressed, as Riggs comes across as a mature, humble, classy and focused kid. Not a bad word to say about anyone at UF; just wants to go in a different direction for the sake of his career. Looking to make a decision soon.

Loy is also hearing from sources at ND that ND has a great chance of getting him. Something should happen one way or another in the next few weeks.

PerthDomer
02-08-2014, 04:40 PM
who else is he looking at?

Henges24
02-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Any updates on Cody?

Really want this guy on board as I was big on his recruitment in 2010. Him and Joshua Shaw were big wants for me and both coincidentally ended up at FL.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
02-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Loy has a VIP update. I'm not a VIP.

Emcee77
02-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Must be the same one from yesterday. I didn't see anything new

STLDomer
02-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Every time I think of this situation I think what a troll job ALLGATOR would be doing right now if he wasn't banned

irishog77
02-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Every time I think of this situation I think what a troll job ALLGATOR would be doing right now if he wasn't banned

Ha! Yeah, I wish that dude was around for this.

Me2SouthBend
02-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Ha! Yeah, I wish that dude was around for this.

Hog, you are on the cusp.

GainesvilleIrish
02-10-2014, 10:39 AM
IMO, this is a purely football move. Florida is too talented and young at corner (where he wants to play) and doesn't want to keep playing safety (where he was one of 3 players to start every game last year). If he was talented enough go play corner in Gainesville, I'm sure he would be a Gator.

The academic really doesn't matter in the sense that both ND and Florida are top MBA progams.

Dudes a hell of a player. If he does in fact go to ND, it'll be a good addition to the secondary in terms of leadership and game experience. I just wouldn't get my hopes up for an All American at corner.

Emcee77
02-10-2014, 10:43 AM
IMO, this is a purely football move. Florida is too talented and young at corner (where he wants to play) and doesn't want to keep playing safety (where he was one of 3 players to start every game last year). If he was talented enough go play corner in Gainesville, I'm sure he would be a Gator.

The academic really doesn't matter in the sense that both ND and Florida are top MBA progams.

Dudes a hell of a player. If he does in fact go to ND, it'll be a good addition to the secondary in terms of leadership and game experience. I just wouldn't get my hopes up for an All American at corner.

ALLGATOR?

Half-joking ... A lot of people, including some who are often fairly knowledgeable about these things, seem to believe that this was purely a football move, or at least as much a football move as anything else.

Emcee77
02-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Loy posted an update to say that there likely won't be a real update for at least a week or two. Not a situation that will be resolved right away.

Ndaccountant
02-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Loy posted an update to say that there likely won't be a real update for at least a week or two. Not a situation that will be resolved right away.

Jake Brown's reaction......http://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/like.gif

BurningRiver
02-10-2014, 03:18 PM
I haven't been following this at all, so forgive me because I assume this has been answered elsewhere, but if he transfers would he be eligible for spring ball and/or next season?

Emcee77
02-10-2014, 03:20 PM
I haven't been following this at all, so forgive me because I assume this has been answered elsewhere, but if he transfers would he be eligible for spring ball and/or next season?

Won't transfer till after he graduates from UF in May, so won't play spring ball. He is expected to arrive at the new school in June and, since he will have already graduated, he will be immediately eligible in the fall.

OCIrish
02-10-2014, 03:21 PM

Yes.....yes he would.

Luckylucci
02-10-2014, 03:28 PM

If this was purely a football related move, why would he come to ND? If he's trying to show case himself to the NFL why would he want to take really hard classes? Could it have something to do with football, of course but I think it makes zero sense to say this is football only. Otherwise, he'd go to some other school that he'd be a hands down starter, wouldn't have to study as hard, and train literally 24/7 for the NFL.

Rack Em
02-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Jake Brown's reaction......http://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/like.gif

He'll still be 2 weeks late with the story though

Emcee77
02-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Loy seems to think that Riggs to ND is just a matter of time. He said "Riggs looks like the guy" to fill our final 2014 scholarship, and he also said that Riggs isn't seriously looking at any other schools.

I didn't want to get too excited, but I'm freaking pumped now. What a great pickup this would be. Solid consolation prize for missing out on Alexander.

Ndaccountant
02-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Loy seems to think that Riggs to ND is just a matter of time. He said "Riggs looks like the guy" to fill our final 2014 scholarship, and he also said that Riggs isn't seriously looking at any other schools.

I didn't want to get too excited, but I'm freaking pumped now. What a great pickup this would be. Solid consolation prize for missing out on Alexander.

So do you think he will be a CB or S then? I am hoping he will be a CB, although that may not be the case.

Emcee77
02-11-2014, 03:31 PM
So do you think he will be a CB or S then? I am hoping he will be a CB, although that may not be the case.

I'm expecting him to play the nickel corner role. But I guess anything can happen in fall camp. We have a lot of guys who have given us quality reps but really no entrenched starters at safety.

FLDomer
02-11-2014, 03:31 PM

I thought that was part of the reason he was looking at ND was his chance to play DB as it was not looking like he would get that shot at UF and his best bet there was S.

Irish#1
02-11-2014, 04:03 PM

Or could it be that they were lacking more at safety? Maybe the corner replacement was less of a drop off than Cody at corner and someone else at safety?

irishfanjho15
02-11-2014, 04:22 PM
I agree that this kid ends up in the nickel corner spot. My guess is he would be the 3rd/4th corner from the day he walks on campus.

Hopefully BVG's defense is safety friendly and the young athletes can come out and just be athletes eating up space.

Cody Riggs of Florida Gators plans to graduate, transfer - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10410112/cody-riggs-florida-gators-plans-graduate-transfer)

Some of these comments are hilarious. I didn't see anyone mention ND as a possible landing spot though. Maybe I missed it.

Jebediah Springfield
02-11-2014, 04:28 PM
CB - Kei Russell (No one is taking this spot)

CB - Luke or Riggs or ??

I don't know if Luke at the 2nd CB spot is set in stone

STLDomer
02-11-2014, 04:31 PM
I thought that was part of the reason he was looking at ND was his chance to play DB as it was not looking like he would get that shot at UF and his best bet there was S.

He was gonna play DB at UF no matter what, he just wants to go back to CB after he switched to S. Started 10 games as a Sophomore, hurt most of Junior year and then started all 13 games as a Senior, captain for 3 of them.

I would expect he plays a lot though it does seen like the best thing for the team would be if Luke started and he was the Nickel.

rtrn2glory
02-11-2014, 04:52 PM
with as much man as it sounds like we're going to play i would love to see him at Corner. SEC speed on the perimeter would not make me mad.

irishfan
02-11-2014, 04:53 PM
I'm guessing he beats out Luke, which is too bad for Luke and Butler's development, but its just what I think will happen. Think Luke is the nickel and Butler is the 4th again. Florida secondary has been nasty for years, I daresay one of their starters can come in and start at ND.

Our secondary is so deep as is, this is just icing on the cake.

CB: Russell, Riggs, Luke, Butler
FS: Redfield, Baratti/Hardy
SS: Shumate, Collinsworth

Fairley as the emergency guy. Not bad.

ryno 24
02-11-2014, 04:55 PM
I think Luke will be the outside corner. Not only will he have spring ball, but he is also taller. Riggs will be on the field 65 to 70 percent of the time though

Emcee77
02-11-2014, 04:55 PM
with as much man as it sounds like we're going to play i would love to see him at Corner. SEC speed on the perimeter would not make me mad.

If we play a lot more man ... everything we thought we knew about our DBs might change. For example, Kelly has said in the past that Jalen Brown is a great man CB, and the reason he isn't playing much is that he has struggled to grasp zone coverage.

As always, Kelly's comments to the media about particular players have to be taken with a grain of salt, but I do think it's true that the best zone corners are not always the best man corners.

IrishLax
02-11-2014, 04:57 PM
With all due respect to the players on our roster, I don't see how any of them beat out Riggs as the slot corner. I just can't envision it. Riggs is basically what we were hoping to get with Alexander.

ryno 24
02-11-2014, 04:59 PM
I completely agree LAX and that is what I was saying. Luke seems like a great outside corner, while riggs seems perfect for Inside

irishfanjho15
02-11-2014, 05:01 PM
I'm expecting him to play the nickel corner role. But I guess anything can happen in fall camp. We have a lot of guys who have given us quality reps but really no entrenched starters at safety.

With all due respect to the players on our roster, I don't see how any of them beat out Riggs as the slot corner. I just can't envision it. Riggs is basically what we were hoping to get with Alexander.

I mean Riggs is a huge upgrade over Bennett Jackson and would be an enormous upgrade over Farley. I think that tells everyone everything they need to know.

Ironman8
02-11-2014, 05:02 PM

Exactly, except even better considering his extensive experience in the SEC and in a college strength training program.

irishfan
02-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Really hope Riggs tears it up here and us getting these 5th year guys becomes routine. We're always short of 85 after NSD (as has been discussed at length), and it would be nice if we were able to add a guy every year. I guess Wulfeck would be the trendsetter not Riggs lol.

Rack Em
02-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Really hope Riggs tears it up here and us getting these 5th year guys becomes routine. We're always short of 85 after NSD (as has been discussed at length), and it would be nice if we were able to add a guy every year. I guess Wulfeck would be the trendsetter not Riggs lol.

Yeah but I want Riggs to actually touch the field.

irishfan
02-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Yeah but I want Riggs to actually touch the field.

What if he's just a fantastic pooch punt specialist?

rtrn2glory
02-11-2014, 05:25 PM
If we play a lot more man ... everything we thought we knew about our DBs might change. For example, Kelly has said in the past that Jalen Brown is a great man CB, and the reason he isn't playing much is that he has struggled to grasp zone coverage.

As always, Kelly's comments to the media about particular players have to be taken with a grain of salt, but I do think it's true that the best zone corners are not always the best man corners.

agree 100%...sometimes the easiest and only thing a guy can grasp is "see that guy? guard his ass"

Irishman77
02-11-2014, 05:27 PM
If he beats out Luke, he is damn great!

I hope he is our nickel guy and helps develop our young Db's

If baratti is not ready to play along with Max then I hope to see him at S.

GBdomer
02-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Will be in town tomorrow and in my opinion will be over very shortly

rtrn2glory
02-11-2014, 06:51 PM
when's the earliest he can make it official or sign?

GBdomer
02-11-2014, 06:52 PM
when's the earliest he can make it official or sign?

He can say he's going to Notre Dame and I believe show up for summer camp ready to roll. I don't know when he can report to campus and stuff. Pretty sure he is still enrolled at Florida.

Rack Em
02-11-2014, 07:00 PM
He can say he's going to Notre Dame and I believe show up for summer camp ready to roll. I don't know when he can report to campus and stuff. Pretty sure he is still enrolled at Florida.

He graduates in May. So probably shortly after that.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
02-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Irish Illustrated has an update. I'm not a VIP.

GBdomer
02-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Irish Illustrated has an update. I'm not a VIP.

I gave it to you.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
02-11-2014, 07:14 PM
I gave it to you.

Didn't realize that was the update. Sorry.

GBdomer
02-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Didn't realize that was the update. Sorry.

all good, I should have stated it was from II

EuropeanDomer
02-11-2014, 07:32 PM
2013-11-02 Florida Gators vs Georgia Bulldogs 1st Half - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_8QGOD1_ang#t=1315)

Oh Cody.. (22:02 mark)

EuropeanDomer
02-11-2014, 07:43 PM
2013-11-02 Florida Gators vs Georgia Bulldogs 1st Half - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_8QGOD1_ang#t=2143)

Oh Cody x2.. (35:40 mark)

Now i understand why he wants to play CB..

BeauBenken
02-11-2014, 07:45 PM
He's 5'8" and under 190 pounds...Hell yea, he should be playing corner.

ulukinatme
02-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Couple real ugly plays for him there, although you can expect an undersized safety to get trucked by a big back.

Either way, he would be a welcome addition, even if he doesn't end up being better than Luke at #2 CB. If he helps us get to 85, that sounds good to me.

I love going back through some of these old recruiting threads sometimes and see perceptions and projections from 4-5 years ago. "He's solid, he's Irish" "Didn't look as good as Lo Wood" etc etc. Yeah, no one can say for sure, just funny how things pan out. If he does end up here, it's just 4 years late.

DillonHall
02-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Riggs wants to come to ND now that he realizes he doesn't have much of a future in football?

Funny how people mature and appreciate the importance of education

tko
02-11-2014, 08:23 PM
Takes some longer than others. I support this revelation, provided he comes to ND and contributes!

Pa Golden Tate Fan
02-11-2014, 08:51 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Can confirm that FL DB Cody Riggs has plans to be at <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NotreDame&amp;src=hash">#NotreDame</a> tomorrow for a visit. More here. (Premium) <a href="http://t.co/wCYPUiSDlc">http://t.co/wCYPUiSDlc</a></p>&mdash; Irish Sports Daily (@ISDUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/statuses/433417304014323712">February 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

rtrn2glory
02-11-2014, 09:01 PM
He's 5'8" and under 190 pounds...Hell yea, he should be playing corner.

Bob Sanders was 5'8" and one of if not the best safeties in the league for 5 years.

sure they're few and far between, but dudes can play safety at cody's size

NDdomer2
02-11-2014, 09:23 PM
1) bob Sanders wasnt under 190
2) he also was injured half his career

rtrn2glory
02-11-2014, 09:32 PM

what does him being injured have to do with him being the best safety in the league which is a fact.

and the weight argument doesn't work for me...i'm from small town ohio where we have offensive linemen weighing under 160 ibs that are tougher than snot so not weighing very enough is a foregone conclusion in the world of athletics.

yankeehater
02-11-2014, 09:39 PM
what does him being injured have to do with him being the best safety in the league which is a fact.

and the weight argument doesn't work for me...i'm from small town ohio where we have offensive linemen weighing under 160 ibs that are tougher than snot so not weighing very enough is a foregone conclusion in the world of athletics.

I agree he was a great safety, but his size helped lead to injuries which shortened his career.

rtrn2glory
02-11-2014, 09:40 PM
I agree he was a great safety, but his size helped lead to injuries which shortened his career.

agree with that....that's the only disadvantage size gives outside of jump balls and disengaging from blocks.

Irish#1
02-11-2014, 09:48 PM

I loved Bob "The Hitman" Sanders, but he was hurt all the time because of his size. He played with reckless abandon and while we Colt fans loved seeing that, we also cringed every time he took off like a missile. He was a difference maker when he was healthy and deserved DPOY the year he won it, but that was the only year he wasn't hurt. I believe Bob was listed at 210lbs.

Cackalacky
02-11-2014, 09:52 PM
If this happens it is a real really good thing for the program. Psyched.

rtrn2glory
02-11-2014, 09:54 PM
I loved Bob "The Hitman" Sanders, but he was hurt all the time because of his size. He played with reckless abandon and while we Colt fans loved seeing that, we also cringed every time he took off like a missile. He was a difference maker when he was healthy and deserved DPOY the year he won it, but that was the only year he wasn't hurt. I believe Bob was listed at 210lbs.

i totally get where you guys are coming from in regards to him being hurt...i agree, but the dude was the best in the game despite his size, that's what i'm trying to say

BeauBenken
02-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Bob Sanders was 5'8" and one of if not the best safeties in the league for 5 years.

sure they're few and far between, but dudes can play safety at cody's size

You don't have to tell me how good Bob was. I'm from Indiana.

Bam.

When college weight rooms are involved it matters. Let's see those 150 pound linemen pan out at the college level. I know you're smart enough to know that they are going to get their asses handled.

agree with that....that's the only disadvantage size gives outside of jump balls and disengaging from blocks.

No. It's really not. Breaking out the physics...

F = ma

Newton's second law of motion. Force = mass x acceleration.

The bigger you are and the faster you're going, the more force you bring to the table.

rtrn2glory
02-11-2014, 10:11 PM
You're vastly underestimating the X factor and intangibles that many of these guys have.

hell yes i'll take a 6'2" 225 pound safety with speed and athleticism 10/10 times...but every once in awhile there's a guy that makes me think twice. bob was one of those guys and there will probably be another one

rtrn2glory
02-11-2014, 10:13 PM

Bam.

When college weight rooms are involved it matters. Let's see those 150 pound linemen pan out at the college level. I know you're smart enough to know that they are going to get their asses handled.

F = ma

The bigger you are and the faster you're going, the more force you bring to the table.

and thanks for the breakdown lol...been awhile since 7th grade science

Irishnuke
02-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Bob Sanders was the exception. Let's also not pretend that this kid is Bob f'ing Sanders.

vmgsf
02-12-2014, 05:41 AM
Cody Riggs come to Notre Dame work hard in the classroom and on the field. Show everyone you are willing to work hard and that you want to succeed. Make contacts that will help you to be a success for the rest of your life because you have shown these contacts that you are willing to work hard and that you want to succeed.

This is a no brainer. Injuries are not predictable. Linebacker Danny Spond's career ends and Jarett Grace suffers awful leg injury. Welcome Joe Schmidt - preferred walk-on - you stepped up big time.

If I were a football coach of the secondary at Notre Dame I would be thinking Cody please, please, puleez come. I will sleep better at night. Your being here will make us a better football team and will help us deal effectively with all issues that may come about including but not limited to injuries, academic problems, pregnant girl friends, and health issues etc, etc, etc..

This would be a fantastic way to wrap up recruiting. Whether Cody comes to Notre Dame or not, congrats to Father Jenkins and the university administration for not fiddling and diddling around and moving swiftly to try to get this done.

Me2SouthBend
02-12-2014, 07:00 AM
Will be in town tomorrow and in my opinion will be over very shortly

all good, I should have stated it was from II

So it wasn't really your opinion then, but rather an update? Ok, just checking (and busting your balls).

OCIrish
02-12-2014, 07:39 AM

Umm.....when you're not on the field, you're not much help to your team.....are you????

dublinirish
02-12-2014, 08:10 AM
once twice in his career did play over 6 games in a season, that says it all

IrishTP
02-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Every player gets trucked and has plays like those on film. Its football lol.

As far as his size, not exactly ideal or safety, but the fact he started games as a freshman at Florida, Id say hes a pretty damn good player.

dublinirish
02-12-2014, 08:21 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>What I'm Hearing: Cody Riggs - The latest on <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NotreDame&amp;src=hash">#NotreDame</a>'s chances at landing the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23UF&amp;src=hash">#UF</a> CB transfer <a href="http://t.co/FMXPuVAEKX">http://t.co/FMXPuVAEKX</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/BGInews">@BGInews</a> (VIP)</p>&mdash; Tom Loy (@TomLoy247) <a href="https://twitter.com/TomLoy247/statuses/433590494094843904">February 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

IrishinTN
02-12-2014, 09:05 AM
In a nut shell: Won't be here this week, but don't worry. Flights couldn't get done. They are trying again next week.

ndcoltsfan2010
02-12-2014, 09:10 AM
With all the crappy weather and Atlanta Hartsfield and other airports being closed this doesn't surprise me at all. Better luck next week as the temps will be alot warmer.

rikkitikki08
02-12-2014, 09:19 AM
What can a dollar give you that Bob Sanders cant? 4 quarters.....Bazinga

Ok we can get back to discussing Cody's playing abilities now

FightingIrishLover7
02-12-2014, 10:01 AM
Bob also did backflips off the apex of his garage onto his concrete driveway...

He lived life on cocaine speed.

rtrn2glory
02-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Umm.....when you're not on the field, you're not much help to your team.....are you????

Ask Danny Spond the same question.

Cpnd1
02-12-2014, 03:24 PM
@ISDUpdate: Wednesday afternoon update on #NotreDame and #Gators DB transfer Cody Riggs. (Premium) Irish Sports Daily Forums (http://t.co/gfx1aUpcTJ)

BGIF
02-12-2014, 04:10 PM

F = ma

In the late 90's one of the recruiting services actually created a ranking factor, Force, by multiplying weight by 40 speed. By that thinking Rees would have had a higher Force Factor than Golson. After two seasons reality sunk in and they quietly dropped it.

Me2SouthBend
02-12-2014, 04:24 PM
In the late 90's one of the recruiting services actually created a ranking factor, Force, by multiplying weight by 40 speed. By that thinking Rees would have had a higher Force Factor than Golson. After two seasons reality sunk in and they quietly dropped it.

Nobody would want to get trucked by Rees. Career ending force.

Whiskeyjack
02-12-2014, 04:27 PM

QB Force (http://qbforce.com/)?

irishog77
02-12-2014, 04:33 PM
I prefer Ashley Force, and certainly Allie Laforce.

Irish YJ
02-12-2014, 04:47 PM

Wouldn't Rees's speed be a negative multiplier?

rtrn2glory
02-12-2014, 04:49 PM
here's the formula:

tommy's Force = 1
________
tommy's weight ^50

edit: that's supposed to be in fraction and exponent form.

wizards8507
02-12-2014, 04:51 PM

LMAO is that real or just an epic troll job?

BeauBenken
02-12-2014, 04:55 PM

http://i.imgur.com/j7fiJKO.png

But it's not like I would expect Golson to lay anyone out either. He's definitely better off now though.

Whiskeyjack
02-12-2014, 05:38 PM

AFAIK it's legit, courtesy of Papa Forcier. Almost enough to make you feel bad for the Forcier boys. That guy's probably one of the worst Little League dad's you could ever meet.

DomerInHappyValley
02-12-2014, 06:15 PM
AFAIK it's legit, courtesy of Papa Forcier. Almost enough to make you feel bad for the Forcier boys. That guy's probably one of the worst Little League dad's you could ever meet.
I don't know I met a dad at one of my boys games telling me I was doing something wrong because I said it's a game.
The guy proceeded to tell me how he already had his 8 year old on a special diet and weight lifting program and that the boy would never go pro if I didn't push him.
I was beyond flabbergasted.
I just asked him how bad he sucked at sports that he's trying to live through his son.

CanadalovesND
02-14-2014, 10:57 AM
Will visit Monday with his family. If this kid is a "take", which it appears he is, and is satisfied with his visit, then IMO expect a decision from him within the week.

IrishLion
02-14-2014, 11:07 AM

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/403/20403/137692.jpg

felkey72
02-14-2014, 11:08 AM
Will he put us to an 85 man roster bearing no medicals or transfers come spring

Emcee77
02-14-2014, 11:22 AM

Yeah. He fills the last open scholarship.

We will see if any more open up.

eNDzone
02-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Will visit Monday with his family. If this kid is a "take", which it appears he is, and is satisfied with his visit, then IMO expect a decision from him within the week.

Any news on if he is in town yet?

ulukinatme
02-17-2014, 01:54 PM

It's only temporary, reaching 85 man roster is a myth.

ResLife Hero
02-17-2014, 02:15 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Big news on <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NotreDame&amp;src=hash">#NotreDame</a> and former <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Florida&amp;src=hash">#Florida</a> DB Cody Riggs. <a href="https://twitter.com/BGInews">@BGInews</a> has the latest. <a href="http://t.co/nIyOTsW4bO">http://t.co/nIyOTsW4bO</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/247Sports">@247Sports</a> (VIP)</p>&mdash; Tom Loy (@TomLoy247) <a href="https://twitter.com/TomLoy247/statuses/435492285279502337">February 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

Is it really big news?

IrishLax
02-17-2014, 02:17 PM
On campus today with stepfather and uncle, looks like odds are in favor of him suiting up for ND this fall and a decision should come soon.

ResLife Hero
02-17-2014, 02:18 PM
On campus today with stepfather and uncle, looks like odds are in favor of him suiting up for ND this fall and a decision should come soon.

Thanks. Really hoping it works out.

rocket66
02-17-2014, 03:10 PM
The defense will be very good this year, IMO. Expectations will more realistic and I think most will be pleasantly surprised. I love adding this kid as the secondary will be a strength for the first time in a loooooooong time.

ndcoltsfan2010
02-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Excellent news for our defense. He should be a leader in our secondary bringing alot of experience.

TheChosen1
02-17-2014, 06:34 PM
Keith Arnold‏@KeithArnold
Irish fans usually tend to overreact about everything. Why there isn't more joy about Cody Riggs' potential addition makes zero sense to me.

Jake Brown‏@Jake_Brown@KeithArnold One poster on our message board actually questioned why ND would want Riggs on the roster.

Ironman8
02-17-2014, 06:37 PM
Yeah I think anyone who isn't a fan of this is crazy.

returnofthemack
02-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Yeah I think anyone who isn't a fan of this is crazy.

I'm subscribed to the college football subreddit, and there were some Florida fans talking about it. The consensus was that he is a very good run-stopper, not as great in coverage. So he's not going to be another shutdown corner for us, but obviously this only helps our secondary. it's not like we're adding a Russell Wilson-type graduate transfer - he's solid, not spectacular.

Ironman8
02-17-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm subscribed to the college football subreddit, and there were some Florida fans talking about it. The consensus was that he is a very good run-stopper, not as great in coverage. So he's not going to be another shutdown corner for us, but obviously this only helps our secondary. it's not like we're adding a Russell Wilson-type graduate transfer - he's solid, not spectacular.

To be fair, this is also coming from Florida fans, who are used to ridiculous secondary talent.

ND: Not so much.

He will at the very least bring great experience and depth, and at most be an impact player for us. I'm super excited for this.

fightingirish26
02-17-2014, 06:55 PM
Will he be the nickel? will he challenge luke/butler as a starting cb? or is he a safety? sorry if it's been discussed

CanadalovesND
02-17-2014, 07:01 PM
Will he be the nickel? will he challenge luke/butler as a starting cb? or is he a safety? sorry if it's been discussed

14 starts at cornerback, 12 at safety while at Florida. He only moved to safety because UF had a lot of talented CBs, and was a decision to help get best four DBs on the field.

His size may warrant him as a nickelback, but his experience and talent makes up for his lack of size as a true boundary or field corner.

irishknight35
02-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Picking up Riggs is extremely beneficial for the secondary on and off the field.

Couldn't have come at a better time either. With BVG taking over and our defensive backfield seemingly at a crossroads, all DB's will be on somewhat the same learning curve with a new playbook. Riggs with his experience and athleticism should be able to differentiate himself right away when he arrives in the summer.

I also can't stress enough how important it is for a Florida kid to leave the school and the state of Florida for academic reasons as well as athletic ones in terms of recruiting.

All around very positive and exciting. Just think ND fans haven't had much good news between the end of signing day and the start of the season the past couple years so this is a nice change of pace from what has recently been frustrating offseason news.

fightingirish26
02-17-2014, 07:17 PM
14 starts at cornerback, 12 at safety while at Florida. He only moved to safety because UF had a lot of talented CBs, and was a decision to help get best four DBs on the field.

His size may warrant him as a nickelback, but his experience and talent makes up for his lack of size as a true boundary or field corner.

awesome. thanks man

returnofthemack
02-17-2014, 07:58 PM
To be fair, this is also coming from Florida fans, who are used to ridiculous secondary talent.

ND: Not so much.

He will at the very least bring great experience and depth, and at most be an impact player for us. I'm super excited for this.

haha very true

irishfan
02-17-2014, 08:25 PM
Honestly think he comes in and is just as good as Russell.

Cackalacky
02-17-2014, 08:37 PM
I was going to say I am excited but it has been used already so I am thrilled.

TheChosen1
02-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Low risk on this kid. ND has room. He adds depth. They missed on Alexander. He comes in with experience. He's one and done. Absolute take.

Irish#1
02-17-2014, 08:43 PM
I was going to say I am excited but it has been used already so I am thrilled.

Well, I'm excited and thrilled!

notredomer23
02-17-2014, 08:43 PM
So much better than bringing in a JUCO

STLDomer
02-17-2014, 09:55 PM
Riggs warming up to Notre Dame football - Football - South Bend Tribune (http://m.southbendtribune.com/sports/college/notredame/football/riggs-warming-up-to-notre-dame-football/article_9769cc0e-9842-11e3-ba6e-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm)

Pretty much a done deal IMO

greyhammer90
02-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Nice. Is he supposed to come in and play or is he just a body to practice against?

GBdomer
02-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Guy played in the best conference in football on one of the top defenses in college football and will bring a SEC attitude and experience to a defense that could use some. Everywhere we have read he is an excellent leader I don't see one negative in this.

What board does Keith Arnold post on?

KPENN
02-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Guy played in the best conference in football on one of the top defenses in college football and will bring a SEC attitude and experience to a defense that could use some. Everywhere we have read he is an excellent leader I don't see one negative in this.

It was Jake Brown to Keith Arnold.

STLDomer
02-18-2014, 12:26 AM
Nice. Is he supposed to come in and play or is he just a body to practice against?

I'd expect him to be at minimum our starting Nickel

Rhode Irish
02-18-2014, 12:27 AM
Personally, I'm pumped about this. ND fans criticizing this potential move are the types that just need something to bitch about all the time. Literally zero reason not to want this to happen.

gkIrish
02-18-2014, 01:01 AM
Personally, I'm pumped about this. ND fans criticizing this potential move are the types that just need something to bitch about all the time. Literally zero reason not to want this to happen.

I could easily see him being the difference between a 9-3/10-2

ulukinatme
02-18-2014, 02:33 AM
I could see him as a Nickel back. Not sure if he'll start over Cole, and he's certainly not better than Russell. I'm all for him bringing leadership and experience though, regardless whether he ends up starting or not. Our defense needs that experience and leadership more than anything.

dublinirish
02-18-2014, 03:00 AM
didnt know his uncle played at ND

rocket66
02-18-2014, 07:49 AM
He'll be an instant upgrade over Bennet Jackson, IMO. Such a huge pickup if he picks ND.

dublinirish
02-18-2014, 08:01 AM
He'll be an instant upgrade over Bennet Jackson, IMO. Such a huge pickup if he picks ND.

dont think upgrading bennett would be that hard, he truly never recovered his confidence after the Michigan game.

Cackalacky
02-18-2014, 08:02 AM
I could see him as a Nickel back. Not sure if he'll start over Cole, and he's certainly not better than Russell. I'm all for him bringing leadership and experience though, regardless whether he ends up starting or not. Our defense needs that experience and leadership more than anything.

I agree and I will add one thing. If he plays nickle/dime (not sure how much we will see dime) I could see Luke sliding inside as the nickle and Cody outside as a CB.

I also found this.He truly sounds like a solid guy. I wish we had him his whole career;
"I’ve played every position (in the secondary)," he said. "If I wanted to leave to prepare myself to play corner in the NFL, I’d have done so (earlier)."

Riggs said that he plans to attend graduate business school and pursue either an MBA or other business degree. He’s currently finishing his degree in Family Youth and Community Sciences, studying for the GMATs and doing an internship at a Boys & Girls Club in Gainesville.

Riggs sees going elsewhere for graduate school as a chance to expand his network. Riggs is the son of former NFL All-Pro running back Gerald Riggs. Cody Riggs said he grew up around a non-profit organization his parents started — Florida Youth Track and Field.

"I want to impact my community with that degree," he said. "When a student that isn’t an athlete goes somewhere else for graduate school, they’re applauded. Same for coaches when they leave a school and it’s better for their family and future. When an athlete does it, though, it’s viewed as a problem."Cody Riggs transferring to go to graduate school, per report - Alligator Army (http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2014/2/6/5387676/cody-riggs-transfer-florida-gators-graduate-school)

This is also the only thing I have heard Muschamp comment about it:
Q: And can you go into detail on why Cody chose to leave the program?
A: “I don't know. I met with his parents, and again, we wish him all the luck.”
Quotes From Will Muschamp's Signing Day Press Conference - GatorZone.com (http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=27218)

ndfi78
02-18-2014, 08:51 AM

Exactly how I feel, some people just need something to complain about. Farkin annoying.

connor_in
02-18-2014, 08:59 AM

Now, now, now...let us not forget the NDNation Motto:
"New and different is scary and bad"
and since we haven't done this all the time since Knute's days
it is new and different,

therefore it must be scary and bad.

Huntr
02-18-2014, 09:27 AM

Exactly. We have scholarship space, dude is experienced and decent. wtf is there to not like?

dublinirish
02-18-2014, 09:29 AM
I think this type of transfer should be the norm for BK every year you just say to kids who have their undergrad degrees and can play that ND has the best business school/MBA combined with great football and that they should seriously consider it for a 5th year like Riggs is doing. In essence kids like this can be ND's "JUCO's"

ResLife Hero
02-18-2014, 09:32 AM
I think this type of transfer should be the norm for BK every year you just say to kids who have their undergrad degrees and can play that ND has the best business school/MBA combined with great football and that they should seriously consider it for a 5th year like Riggs is doing. In essence kids like this can be ND's "JUCO's"

It's especially great because these things will develop after NSD so we won't have to hold scholarships or otherwise have it impact recruiting HS athletes since contact isn't even allowed with athletes at other schools for so long.

dublinirish
02-18-2014, 09:34 AM
I think too BK can really hammer home the "40 year decision" angle by saying "look you screwed up by taking the easy route as a 17 year old and going to a mickey mouse school but you are a man now and its time to make an adult decision and come to ND for your 5th year"

Irish#1
02-18-2014, 09:38 AM
I like it on every front, talent, experience and maturity. From what I've read about him and what he's said publicly, he will fit right in. He won't come in with a "ME" attitude and his maturity tells me he will let the process and team fit him in rather then him trying to fit into the team.

irishog77
02-18-2014, 11:03 AM
didnt know his uncle played at ND

Did he play with Murtaugh?

Ironman8
02-18-2014, 12:24 PM
Loy is reporting this is a done deal, just waiting on confirmation from Riggs himself.

rtrn2glory
02-18-2014, 12:29 PM
how do we consider it a "done deal"

does he sign anything like a LOI or how does this work.

what love it is truly the case

Irish#1
02-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Loy is reporting this is a done deal, just waiting on confirmation from Riggs himself.

http://i.imgur.com/8QJIciK.gif

ResLife Hero
02-18-2014, 12:43 PM
85! 85! 85!

Really hope Loy is right. This would be great news for a lot of reasons.

Emcee77
02-18-2014, 12:46 PM
Not sure if it is already in the thread, but the uncle who is helping Cody with his decision is Bobby Brown, a receiver for ND in the mid-90s.

A poster on BGI says he is Facebook friends with Bobby Brown from when they were at NDLS together (Brown attended law school at ND in the mid-2000s ... I remember playing hoops with him at Rolfs during that time), and Brown has pics of their visit all over his Facebook account and it seems that both he and Cody are really excited.

And I can vouch for this BGI poster, btw; I know him personally.

gkIrish
02-18-2014, 12:48 PM
85! 85! 85!

It's nice that we have 85 but we have 2-3 5th years who wouldn't be on the team if there was another option. So it's more like 83.

rtrn2glory
02-18-2014, 12:49 PM
said he hung out with Kinnon Tatum Sunday Night too

yes this Kinnon Tatum!!!

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SNRzg8HP-WA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

most frickin athletic play i've ever seen from an ND player....first time i ever sweared in front of my mother watching that play.

Kaneyoufeelit
02-18-2014, 12:52 PM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/ceaceefd75d32f8667b0fe68c4083895/tumblr_mynnakvTm81qlsrn9o1_500.gif

irish o'phile
02-18-2014, 01:01 PM
85! 85! 85!

We also have a couple/few "preferred walk-on" players. Even with some attrition, ND has a full roster+. A far cry from the last couple of years as far as I can recall.

Bogtrotter07
02-18-2014, 01:09 PM

I am really curious. Do all of you realize that Keith Arnold said that he couldn't understand why any fan wouldn't be crazy-happy to get a guy like Riggs? (I used smaller and hopefully more understandable words.) He was commenting on the fact that no one seemed to care about it. He obviously thought it was big.

And then Jake Brown took it, with his narrow view, solid work ethic, and his demonstrable mastery of vocabulary, and hacked it. From him the rest was history.

Keith has one think he can learn from me, he needs to express complex thoughts in very small words. And if he can't find a way, he needs to forget about it.

irishfanjho15
02-18-2014, 01:15 PM
said he hung out with Kinnon Tatum Sunday Night too

yes this Kinnon Tatum!!!

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SNRzg8HP-WA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

most frickin athletic play i've ever seen from an ND player....first time i ever sweared in front of my mother watching that play.

"That's heart, that's 'want to', that's defense."

Whiskeyjack
02-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Would we have rather gotten 4 years of Alexander or 1 year of Riggs? You could argue the latter is preferable as Riggs will undoubtedly contribute more in 2014, and it will give the staff more flexibility to recruit to needs in next year's class.

Keith has one think he can learn from me, he needs to express complex thoughts in very small words. And if he can't find a way, he needs to forget about it.

Failing that, he could just start posting in Gaelic. That tends to solve all comprehension issues immediately.

ulukinatme
02-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Cue the Asian chicks?

irishog77
02-18-2014, 03:10 PM
Would we have rather gotten 4 years of Alexander or 1 year of Riggs? You could argue the latter is preferable as Riggs will undoubtedly contribute more in 2014, and it will give the staff more flexibility to recruit to needs in next year's class.

Failing that, he could just start posting in Gaelic. That tends to solve all comprehension issues immediately.

I think I'd rather have Riggs for 1 than Alexander for 4. I think next year's class being small, thus freeing up a precious schollie, perhaps played a role in my decision. If ND was going to take 25 next year? Not sure what my answer would be.

Irish#1
02-18-2014, 03:30 PM

Interesting question, but I can't answer it until Alexander has some experience under his belt like Riggs. So basically, I don't know!

Emcee77
02-18-2014, 03:32 PM

Man, what a tough call. I could see arguments for both sides. It's hard to say without knowing just what role Riggs will play, but I think I'd rather have 4 years of Alexander.

Right now the consensus seems to be that Riggs will be our nickel corner next year, and Alexander, if we had landed him, would probably have played the same role. That's not a hard role for a freshman to play, as the last two years have shown (Shumate was a difference maker as a nickel corner in 2012 and Luke played the position in 2013). Then, in subsequent years, we would have a great cover corner to complement Watkins, who has the makings of a great zone corner, in this class.

But if Riggs turns out to be a Jamoris Slaughter jack-of-all-trades in the secondary this year, and if we nab 2 or 3 awesome corners in the 2015 class, including at least one solid cover corner, then I'll be happy with the way things worked out.

Luckylucci
02-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Only bringing in 1 CB this year could be a good selling point for CB's like Fitzpatrick but I would rather have Alexander for 4 than Riggs for 1. Not to mention that we also have to play Alexander for 4 years now.

ryno 24
02-18-2014, 03:47 PM
I said this at the time, I did not think Alexander was elite. It would have been extra and a good pick up, but he is not elite.

IrishLion
02-18-2014, 03:49 PM
I think I would have rather had Alexander for 4 years simply for roster stability.

Assuming he would settle in and stick around, he gives you a bit of cushion (along with Luke and Butler being sophomores, Kinlaw being a RS frosh, and Watkins being a true frosh) in case you miss on a CB prospect over the next class or two.

Rack Em
02-18-2014, 03:51 PM

1 year of Riggs and 4 years of (hopefully) Reid, Lewis, and Fitzpatrick

>>

4 years of Alexander

IMO, this year's CB class is very good and we seem to have a good shot with a couple of highly rated prospects.

Me2SouthBend
02-18-2014, 04:04 PM

This one, why?

adsnorri
02-18-2014, 04:06 PM
This one, why?

That's Great! Haha

Walter White
02-18-2014, 04:55 PM
1 year of Riggs. Because he is a proven starter on one of the best secondaries in the country. Alexander is a riskier pick. If he doesn't start, it means that Luke is very talented. Its at worst guaranteed depth for a one year stop gap.

Not to mention he opens up doors for other 5th year transfers for ND and he can hit like this:

http://i.giflike.com/yEOTRXr_dg.gif

rocket66
02-18-2014, 05:01 PM
1 year of Riggs. Because he is a proven starter on one of the best secondaries in the country. Alexander is a riskier pick. If he doesn't start, it means that Luke is very talented. Its at worst guaranteed depth for a one year stop gap.

Not to mention he opens up doors for other 5th year transfers for ND and he can hit like this:

Exactly. And let's not pretend Alexander was some elite recruit. He was a high 3* with average offers and a decent upside. I'll take the proven guy for a year and save that scholly for a better prospect in '15. No question.

IrishInFl
02-18-2014, 05:03 PM
This one, why?

I KNEW IT!!1!

Bogtrotter07
02-18-2014, 06:40 PM

Roinnt éisteacht leis an rud céanna is cuma cad é an teanga, agus tá ach tá i bhfad a thaispeáint chun é!

Pa Golden Tate Fan
02-18-2014, 06:48 PM
I would take Riggs over Alexander short term. Long Term Defiantly Alexander.

GBdomer
02-18-2014, 06:50 PM
I would take Riggs over Alexander short term. Long Term Defiantly Alexander.

Well wouldn't everyone seeing how Riggs has 1 year to play and Alexander has 4?

GBdomer
02-18-2014, 06:51 PM
This one, why?

Are you Keith Arnold?

NDWorld247
02-18-2014, 06:53 PM
I would have rathered 4 years of Alexander to be honest. I think he's going to be a stud for Stanford.

But it's really a moot point. I'm pleased we're adding a player like Riggs for one season.

Pa Golden Tate Fan
02-18-2014, 06:53 PM
Well wouldn't everyone seeing how Riggs has 1 year to play and Alexander has 4?

Yes.

GBdomer
02-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Could be decided tonight

dshans
02-18-2014, 09:47 PM
... Long Term Defiantly Alexander.

No reason for defiance. A simple definitive would suffice.

Go ahead. Beat me about the head and shoulders. I may well deserve it.

I blame all the banter in the IE 2013 awards that's going on.

I apologize.

stlnd01
02-18-2014, 09:56 PM
Riggs vs. Alexander's a silly argument. We didn't get Alexander. That meant we could take Riggs. It wasn't either/or and we're damn lucky to get him. He can contribute right away instead of maybe down the road. He can help make our younger guys better. And we have another schollie for our small class next year.

Bogtrotter07
02-18-2014, 10:03 PM
Riggs vs. Alexander's a silly argument. We didn't get Alexander. That meant we could take Riggs. It wasn't either/or and we're damn lucky to get him. He can contribute right away instead of maybe down the road. He can help make our younger guys better. And we have another schollie for our small class next year.

Good point. Making Lemon-aide out of lemons. Might open a door for graduate transfers, the smart guy, with the smart school's answer to JUCO.

dad4aa
02-18-2014, 10:03 PM
With the schedule we have and the experience of Riggs, I would take him over Alexander. Especially with how the injury bug has bit us lately. Riggs has played against FSU three times correct? Nice to have someone with his skill and experience available for a very tough schedule to help us try and qualify for the first ever playoffs. But I agree it's a stupid argument because we didn't pick one over the other.

Ironman8
02-18-2014, 10:15 PM
Loy is hearing it should be announced tomorrow morning.

Great, great news for us. Big addition to the '14 team.

rtrn2glory
02-18-2014, 10:18 PM
hell yes!!

Luckylucci
02-18-2014, 10:25 PM
Very excited about this.

Domina Nostra
02-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Awesome. This is a big addition. The kid is not coming to sit on the bench.

BMT
02-18-2014, 10:52 PM
For anyone not on board for taking this guy-this is a great pick up. Even if he did not start, sure as the sun will come up-somebody will get injured,kicked out for targeting-academic difficulty-etc.etc. We finally have depth to compete, something Weiss teams never had. The more depth the better. See defensive line this year, see linebacker this year.

koonja
02-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Who is it that doesn't like the staff taking Riggs?

I keep seeing that, but I haven't seen anyone not excited about this.

greyhammer90
02-18-2014, 10:58 PM
Who is it that doesn't like the staff taking Riggs?

I keep seeing that, but I haven't seen anyone not excited about this.

Go far enough back in the thread and you'll see them. People saying "he missed his chance" and other nonsense.

koonja
02-18-2014, 10:59 PM
Go far enough back in the thread and you'll see them. People saying "he missed his chance" and other nonsense.

That's silly. This is zero risk, reward TBD.

Me2SouthBend
02-18-2014, 11:15 PM
Are you Keith Arnold?

I don't always post, but when I do, it's as Keith Arnold. Post thirsty my friends.

DillonHall
02-18-2014, 11:43 PM
That's silly. This is zero risk, reward TBD.

Exactly, I don't know about the upside, but there's literally no risk involved.

peoriairish
02-18-2014, 11:52 PM
Exactly, I don't know about the upside, but there's literally no risk involved.

That's what the Bears thought when they snagged Sam Hurd.....

dublinirish
02-19-2014, 02:59 AM

Yes this is the key, once Riggs commits ND needs to make a big deal out of it and get the message out there that kids have a choice to play their 5th year at a great program and get a world class postgraduate degree

dublinirish
02-19-2014, 10:16 AM
he's onboard

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Cody Riggs to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NotreDame&amp;src=hash">#NotreDame</a>. The former <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Florida&amp;src=hash">#Florida</a> DB will transfer to the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Irish&amp;src=hash">#Irish</a>. Story With Quotes: <a href="http://t.co/WClvSjekOb">http://t.co/WClvSjekOb</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/BGInews">@BGInews</a> (VIP)</p>&mdash; Tom Loy (@TomLoy247) <a href="https://twitter.com/TomLoy247/statuses/436157257084985345">February 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

#1rish
02-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Nice!

GreenSox04
Awesome, no losing this one

dublinirish
Cody Riggs Commits To Notre Dame - UND.COM - University of Notre Dame Official Athletic Site (http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021914aad.html)

#1rish
02-19-2014, 10:19 AM
"I am very thankful for this opportunity," said Riggs. "I fully intend to make the most of this opportunity by not only giving my absolute best effort, but also leading by example both on and off the field.

RKG

zelezo vlk
02-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Awesome this is great news.

dublinirish
02-19-2014, 10:21 AM
is Transferee even a word? >:D

wizards8507
02-19-2014, 10:22 AM
RKG

Why italics? That's exactly a #RKG thing to say.

ozzman
02-19-2014, 10:24 AM
great pickup. so this is what it feels like to have a full roster? I'm excited for the experience he brings and the leader/mentorship he can provide for the young'ins.

ess ee cee!

#1rish
02-19-2014, 10:25 AM
Why italics? That's exactly a #RKG thing to say.

Whoops, meant to bold that.

irishfan
02-19-2014, 10:27 AM
Secondary is stacked

CB: Russell, Butler
CB: Riggs, Luke, Watkins
FS: Redfield/Baratti, Hardy, Fairley

dublinirish
02-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Secondary is stacked

CB: Russell, Butler
CB: Riggs, Luke, Watkins
FS: Redfield/Baratti, Hardy, Fairley

you think Riggs will start over Luke then?

gkIrish
02-19-2014, 10:31 AM
we got that SEC SPEED now in the secondary. 12-0

IrishLax
02-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Riggs seriously might be worth 1-2 wins. Going to help immeasurably against spread teams and 3 WR sets.

irishfan
02-19-2014, 10:39 AM
you think Riggs will start over Luke then?

I don't know anything, but yes, I do.

I think Riggs will be in the slot when teams throw 3 WRs out there and Luke will be out wide, but I bet Riggs ends up playing more snaps than Luke IMO

GreenSox04
02-19-2014, 10:40 AM
he might be UGE and I mean UGE factor against FSU in more ways then one. He's been there, he'll have the leadership, and lets not forget, he'll help on the field.

irishog77
02-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Riggs seriously might be worth 1-2 wins. Going to help immeasurably against spread teams and 3 WR sets.

Kind of what I was thinking.

Plus, I'm really hopeful that he'll step in and help with leadership. If nothing else, he's got a ton of experience.

I know he'll be new to the team this summer, but he's a 5th year, a grad student, and has played a ton of snaps against a lot of good teams.

I can't see this as anything but a bonus for both on the field and in the locker room.

Rhode Irish
02-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Nice

gkIrish
02-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Not gonna lie if he has a pick 6 against FSU and does the Gator chomp I will give 0 shits.

rtrn2glory
02-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Meh

IrishLion
02-19-2014, 10:47 AM
Not gonna lie if he has a pick 6 against FSU and does the Gator chomp I will give 0 shits.

Nah, needs to do an Irish Jig for full integration.

FightingIrishLover7
02-19-2014, 10:48 AM

Heck, I'll do a Gator chomp along with him if that happens!

connor_in
02-19-2014, 10:49 AM
If nothing else, he will be an example of the idea of STUDENT-athlete that ND always talks about.

Kaneyoufeelit
02-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Congrats Mr. Riggs. Welcome to ND

tussin
02-19-2014, 11:15 AM
he might be UGE and I mean UGE factor against FSU in more ways then one. He's been there, he'll have the leadership, and lets not forget, he'll help on the field.

Dawg... He's gonna make a big difference out there.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/193lykcy4yfz3gif/ku-xlarge.gif

GoIrish41
02-19-2014, 11:17 AM
boom

Sherm Sticky
02-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Word. Welcome to Notre Dame Cody...four years late, but better than never.

Emcee77
02-19-2014, 11:24 AM
I love the potential this has to set a precedent. Per BGI, the way this all went down is that
a) Alford recruited Riggs out of high school in 2010, and they formed a close bond,
b) last fall, Riggs reached out to Alford to see if ND would have a spot for him as a transfer,
c) Alford filed paperwork and sought permission to speak to Riggs about transferring,
d) Alford and Riggs caught up, re-established their bond, and Riggs chose to transfer to ND.

A lot of times on this site we say that finishing second in recruiting doesn't help you, and obviously we would prefer that Alford land these kids the first time around, but if we could establish a practice of getting kids we narrowly miss on out of HS into ND as 5Y transfers, it could really help depth. Imagine if someone like Nathan Starks has a good college career and stays out of trouble, but wants out of UCLA after 4 years. He has a great relationship with Alford, and now there is a blueprint for taking advantage of that.

irishfan
02-19-2014, 11:32 AM
I love the potential this has to set a precedent. Per BGI, the way this all went down is that
a) Alford recruited Riggs out of high school in 2010, and they formed a close bond,
b) last fall, Riggs reached out to Alford to see if ND would have a spot for him as a transfer,
c) Alford filed paperwork and sought permission to speak to Riggs about transferring,
d) Alford and Riggs caught up, re-established their bond, and Riggs chose to transfer to ND.

A lot of times on this site we say that finishing second in recruiting doesn't help you, and obviously we would prefer that Alford land these kids the first time around, but if we could establish a practice of getting kids we narrowly miss on out of HS into ND as 5Y transfers, it could really help depth. Imagine if someone like Nathan Starks has a good college career and stays out of trouble, but wants out of UCLA after 4 years. He has a great relationship with Alford, and now there is a blueprint for taking advantage of that.

Similar thing happened with Jevan Snead who only transferred from Texas to Ole Miss because he had a great relationship with Ole Miss' OC/QB Coach, who recruited him at Miami and moved on to Ole Miss.

To go along with your point, I'm honestly surprised that Riggs is the first 5th year that we've gotten (I'm not counting Wulfeck) considering that we seem to finish 2nd with so many recruits.

AdmiralBackhand
02-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Awesome!

Whiskeyjack
02-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Similar thing happened with Jevan Snead who only transferred from Texas to Ole Miss because he had a great relationship with Ole Miss' OC/QB Coach, who recruited him at Miami and moved on to Ole Miss.

To go along with your point, I'm honestly surprised that Riggs is the first 5th year that we've gotten (I'm not counting Wulfeck) considering that we seem to finish 2nd with so many recruits.

I'd imagine graduate transfers like Riggs are pretty rare. It's far more common for career bench-warmers to transfer from a power house to a middling team (see: all the ND players who transferred for one last shot at playing time under Weis and Martin) than for a starter on a power house to transfer to another power house for a graduate degree. Such players are usually either: (1) NFL-bound; or (2) too attached to their original program to transfer.

I'd love for Riggs to set a precedent here, but I just don't see how this sort of transfer becomes a regular occurrence going forward.

T Town Tommy
02-19-2014, 11:51 AM
Good for Riggs. And good for Notre Dame. He should make an immediate impact at the corner position.