PDA

View Full Version : '10 MN DT Beau Allen (Wisconsin Commit)

SoCalDomer
11-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Defensive tackle
Minnetonka (MN) Minnetonka

Ht: 6-2
Wt: 300
40: 5.13
Bench: 335
Vertical: 26
GPA: 3.3
Test: ACT April

STATS:
'08 47 Tackles, 11 TFL, 3 Sacks, 3 Fumbles Caused, 2 Fumbles Recovered

RANKING:
Rivals: :s::s::s:, NR, Rating 5.5
Scout: :s::s::s::s:, #25
ESPN: :s::s::s:, #28, Grade 79

OFFERS:
Wisconsin (OV 9/19)
Minnesota (OV 12/11)
ND (OV 10/24)
Stanford

Colorado
Michigan
Michigan St
Iowa
Iowa St
Nebraska
Northwestern
UCLA
Vanderbilt

ND Recruiter: Ianello

Decision: 12/29/09 Wisconsin

SoCalDomer
11-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Is trying to set up an unofficial for the Syracuse game.

Free story: Scout.com: Recruiting week in review. (http://notredame.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=2&c=808122)

irishmarine
11-05-2008, 12:43 PM
hs kinda light for being a dt isnt he? granted i know he has a couple years to fill out still but that sounds more like a linebacker right now

OCIrish
02-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Scout has him listed at 295 now, why doesn't this kid have an offer? We're thin at DL, we only landed Stockton last year, I know there's plenty of depth, right now, but nobody has stepped up to show that they're ready to play some big time football along the DL.

irish4ever
02-25-2009, 07:25 AM
“I’m pretty interested in them,” Allen said. “They’re a good school having a good year. "

I hope that he's referring to Irish recruiting and NOT the past football season!

irishmarine
02-26-2009, 08:49 PM
as long as hes genuinlyinterested im happy

NDinL.A.
03-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Free article on Scout regarding Beau:

Scout.com: Attitude is Everything (http://recruiting.scout.com/2/848689.html)

Sounds like a great kid with a prefect attitude for both D-Line AND Notre Dame. Even better, he loved ND when he visited. Hey GoIrish, you'll cringe at this, but he also LOVED the strength coach (shocker!).

We're not in his top 5, but it sounds like if we would offer him we'd be at the top of his list. Of course, we need to offer him first. I defer to the staff on this stuff (I know nothing and I admit it), but if they think he's good enough I'd love to have this kid. And he does have offers from Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Stanford (no, I'm serious, Stanford actually threw out an offer, believe it or not).

BGIF
05-08-2009, 02:16 AM
5/3 Has offers from IOW MIN NU SU VU and WIS. ND is trying to get him to attend camp. He thinks they might offer when he shows up. IrishIllustrated

OCIrish
05-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Why do they need him to camp? He either has it or he doesn't. Hell, just offer the kid because by the time he camps, he's going to be tired of waiting for an offer.

IrishInFl
05-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Defensive linemen are the easiest type of player to scout at camps. You get to see how quick their first step is, and you get to see how mean they are. LOTS of fights happen in 1 on 1 match ups. I thought that it was especially fun to see fists thrown at the Nike Tallahassee camp :)

BGIF
05-09-2009, 04:54 AM
Why do they need him to camp? He either has it or he doesn't. Hell, just offer the kid because by the time he camps, he's going to be tired of waiting for an offer.

How do they know "he either has it or he doesn't"?

Based on limited film of an interior DL?

Based on offers from other programs?

Check his list, OSU, UM, PSU, UF, USC, OU etc aren't beating down his door. He's got some solid offers but he's not drawing the primetime crowd - at least yet. Interestingly his first three, MIN, WIS, and IOW all came AFTER he camped at those schools in '08.

In a writeup last June it was noted that he was 255. Someone raised concern in this thread a couple of months ago that he was "light" for a DT. Now he's listed at 300.

Impressive weight gain 45 pounds in 11 months. Is it maybe too impressive? Too much too soon?

Wouldn't a first hand look make sense - a look by the current ND DLine coach?

Allen got Honorable Mention at the US Army Combine last January. Only 4 DTs were ranked higher. ND DLine Coach Jappy Oliver was fired about 4 days earlier so he didn't eyeball Allen at that Combine. A couple of weeks later Allen came to ND's Junior Day. Met with Tenuta and raved about Mendoza and the weight program/facilities. Allen also noted he didn't meet with the DL coach as ND didn't have one. Randy Hart wasn't hired until 3 or 4 weeks later.

In Mike Frank's Master Defense List on his new site he comments that ND might only take 1 DT this year. McCoy was supposed to be the guy but he jumped at GT. ND has since offered Nix, a Miami verbal, and two Deep South kids Calvin and Garrison Smith. Meanwhile they continue to evaluate - and camp is a great way to due that. It's also a way for prospects to meet and work out with their prospective position coach. The recruit can eyeball the mentor while the mentor's assessing the student.

Camp provides an opportunity to see technique, physique, attitude, development Were those 45 pounds muscle or a pus gut? Since Allen is benching 385 they probably good pounds. And since he plays lacrosse ala Will Yeatman, chances are he's got a motor and stamina. Camp can demonstrate that.

Camp also provides a kid a chance to see the campus. He can meet an admissions counselor or a professor in his field of interest. More mutual eyeballing. Checkout classrooms, facilities, dorms. Academically with a 3.3 and offers from SU and VU, Allen will probably pass Saracino's eyeball test.

If Allen had come to an ND camp in '08 (or earlier) he might not still be waiting for an offer. But considering the Oliver departure I'd suspect not. Makes sense for the new guy to make those decisions. Likewise with Tenuta role expanding.

Current ND verbals Lombard and Smith both camped at ND last summer as did WR/ATH McCay, DE Chance Carter, CB Riggs, WR/S Corey Cooper, OT Hurst, LB Max Bullough.

OT Betancourt camped at ND which might explain why he didn't get an ND offer. ND did offer a plethora of OT's. Some other ND campers that haven't received ND offers to date include QB Robert Bolden, RB Austin White, RB LaSteven KcKinney, TE Pierce Richardson (who has ND listed "High" on his Scout profile), OL Zach Fulton (who might be back this summer), LB Sam Bergen (who might have had an offer if he hadn't sustained an ACL injury his junior season), and a couple of DTs Jeff Uher and Josh Davis.

Camps weren't utilized well as a recruiting tool under Holtz. Lou had UberScout Vinnie Cerrato to the NCAA abolished the full time Recruiting Coordinator position. Vinnie's last class graduated in '93. Check ND's won/loss record and players taken in the NFL Draft since '93 (regardless of who was head coach - 3 of those years were Lou's).

For all his faults, Bob Davie is the ND head coach that developed camp as a recruiting tool. Joe Pa was reaping the benefit of camp as a recruiting tool for more than a decade before ND got on board.

OCIrish
05-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Sorry, but I don't buy that Randy Hart hasn't been in contact or that he didn't watch film on him while he's been on campus. The whole, Jappy was fired so we didn't have a DL coach is crap. What are we paying assistant coaches for? If you haven't noticed, our DL recruiting has been abysmal the last 5 years. With the excetion of the big haul last year. Mike Frank IMO may have stated that we may only take one DT, but, that's probably cause we can't seem to recruit more than one a year, sorry, but if we have injuries, that's going to come back to haunt us. The team has been blessed the last few few years in that they haven't sustained any major injuries along the DL, very blessed. I'd be very surprised if he didn't camp last year, if he was all that interested, then he would have been at camp last year. As you know, we don't have the luxery that most other schools have, DL aren't always the sharpest tools in the shed and getting them past admissions is always tough. Pat Kuntz wasn't highly regarded coming out of HS, although he was a 3*, he had a pretty good last couple of years for ND.

We wait forever to offer kids that can get past admissions, then, by the time we do, they're on to someone else.

BGIF
06-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Will camp at ND

tko
06-17-2009, 09:45 PM
he just looks like he should play for us

jason_h537
06-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Awesome was hoping he would camp. Hope he earns an offer

Irish52
06-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Here we go again. We desperately need DT's and good one is available. Why do we hesitate to make an offer.....until it's too late. We have repeatedly done this....when will we learn?

tko
06-18-2009, 01:54 PM
we won't

jason_h537
06-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Maybe its because the coaches arent sold on certian players like the fans are. These guys watch film and evaluate on camps, not just go by what they read on recruiting sites. There is a reason guys like Allen, and Pete Thomas did not get offers. The irish have offers to Ego Ferguson, Daryl Baldwin, TJ Clemmings, Calvin Smith, Garrison Smith, and Louis Nix, all of which the coaching staff feels can play inside. All of which the coaching staff feel are better players, and all of which thecoaching staff believe they have a shot at. They arent just looking to get a bunch of commitments, they want the best there is.

WabashFalcon
06-19-2009, 06:08 AM
Jesus... how freaking negative can people be? Stop having the fucking grim reaper shit in your coffee every morning, get laid, and fucking smile. I hate fucking pessimists.

irish4ever
06-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Jesus... how freaking negative can people be? Stop having the fucking grim reaper shit in your coffee every morning, get laid, and fucking smile. I hate fucking pessimists.

But how do you really feel?

tko
06-19-2009, 09:38 AM

or get a dutch rudder and smile...

The Polish Irishman
07-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Offered per Blue & Gold...Could commit very soon

NDinL.A.
07-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Offered per Blue & Gold...Could commit very soon

Nice! Confirmed per ISD. Kid worked his arse off for this offer, now let's see how badly he really did want it...

jason_h537
07-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Rivals gots it also. Kid worked for his scholarship, i'm happy for him.

OCIrish
07-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Is he highly interested in us, or did he just want the scholly to say he earned it? Just wondering, I really want this kid for some reason.

jason_h537
07-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Can only go by what i have read with this kid. Definitely appears to have real interest in the Irish, but don't know if i would call him a lock

NDinL.A.
07-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Is he highly interested in us, or did he just want the scholly to say he earned it? Just wondering, I really want this kid for some reason.

Well, if you had listened to the 'experts' (meaning, posters) on all the ND boards, all we had to do was offer and Beau was all Irish immediately. That's why people were screaming at ND for not offering. Of course, we offered him and while we are in a good spot, he's still looking at his other options and according the recruiting guys he'll probably commit in the fall.

It's risky considering we have offers to Gaston and Nix and he was told we're taking 2 more DT's. I personally think if both he and Gaston commit that we'll keep a spot open for Nix, who is the best of the bunch. Time will tell...

WabashFalcon
07-02-2009, 03:06 AM
Well, if you had listened to the 'experts' (meaning, posters) on all the ND boards, all we had to do was offer and Beau was all Irish immediately. That's why people were screaming at ND for not offering. Of course, we offered him and while we are in a good spot, he's still looking at his other options and according the recruiting guys he'll probably commit in the fall.

It's risky considering we have offers to Gaston and Nix and he was told we're taking 2 more OT's. I personally think if both he and Gaston commit that we'll keep a spot open for Nix, who is the best of the bunch. Time will tell...

OT's or DT's brother? I'm guessing you mean the latter?

BGIF
07-02-2009, 03:19 AM

I believe ND is looking for 2 OTs and is also looking for 2 DTs.

NDinL.A.
07-02-2009, 10:55 AM

You're right; fixed it. Thanks...

notredomer23
07-02-2009, 11:13 AM
It looks like we can be done DT recruiting pretty soon with him hopefully committing soon and Gaston is visiting again after july 4th and he got his offer as well

tko
07-02-2009, 11:48 AM
It looks like we can be done DT recruiting pretty soon with him hopefully committing soon and Gaston is visiting again after july 4th and he got his offer as well

don't forget Omar is still considering...

BGIF
07-02-2009, 04:13 PM
don't forget Omar is still considering...

Omar doesn't count against this class. He's a transfer.

BGIF
07-02-2009, 04:17 PM

IF Allen and Gaston both committed to ND in July would you shut down recruiting DTs or would you continue to pursue Nix, and the two Smiths?

vinnymac2402
07-02-2009, 06:34 PM
i would still go after one or possibly 2 more DT
because u can never have enough quality big bodies

shood
07-02-2009, 07:20 PM

I am assuming that this is a running joke about Omar, right? Sorry, for asking what is almost surely a silly question, I have seen this pop-up on a few different threads

BGIF
07-02-2009, 07:51 PM
I am assuming that this is a running joke about Omar, right? Sorry, for asking what is almost surely a silly question, I have seen this pop-up on a few different threads

Omar Hunter was a 5 Star, #2 DT in the Class of '08 that committed to ND on 6/5/07 and decommitted in early January leaving ND in the lurch. He verballed to UF on 1/22/08 and signed with Urban Meyer.

OCIrish
07-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Omar Hunter was a 5 Star, #2 DT in the Class of '08 that committed to ND on 6/5/07 and decommitted in early January leaving ND in the lurch. He verballed to UF on 1/22/08 and signed with Urban Meyer.

Who's this Omar I keep reading about?

ColinKSU
07-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Don't forget about Erik Lorig. He's narrowed his schools down to a top 5 and we're in it, I hear.

tko
07-02-2009, 09:48 PM

good point, LOL

jason_h537
07-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Even if we get Allen and Gaston, you can't deny what could be a gamechanging DT in Nix

BGIF
09-15-2009, 06:06 AM
Allen picked up an offer from Michigan and has officials scheduled with ND 10/23 and Wisconsin 9/19.

Minnesota Coach Tim Brewster travelled by helicopter to Allen's HS game.

BGIF
09-15-2009, 06:08 AM
Profile Updated

phork
09-15-2009, 07:26 AM
We still in the hunt for Martin?

BGIF
10-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Recruiting Thoughts Written by Brian Smith 20 October 2009
Recruiting Thoughts (http://irishsportsdaily.com/blogs/smittys-blog/1098-recruiting-thoughts)

Gaston/Allen First one to commit wins! Your guess is as good as mine.

JefMaj
10-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Taking his official tomorrow.

Irishkid23
10-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Taking his official tomorrow.

Anyone know how his visit went?

WabashFalcon
10-25-2009, 12:38 AM
Anyone know how his visit went?

I'm sure we will know much, much more come tomorrow morning.

BGIF
10-25-2009, 12:43 AM
Haven't heard anything but it's quite early. After the game recruits party with their hosts. Usually on Sunday, the recruit (and parents) meet with the coaches and spend time with Admissions Personnel/Faculty. Unless they call somebody, reports don't usually surface until Sunday evening or so.

BGIF
10-26-2009, 02:38 AM
Allen Sticks To Plan by Steve Hare Irish Illustrated

Throughout the recruiting process, Beau Allen's intentions were to take all five of his official visits before announcing his college choice after his senior season. After an impressive visit to Notre Dame, the 6-foot-2, 300-pound defensive lineman from Minnetonka, Minn., said he'll stick to his plan and check out his other favorites before making his decision.

IrishAddiction
10-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Tick tock tick tock. Who wants it, Gaston or Allen..... taking all 5 officials i cant argue, but you have to see that spots are filling up and if you see what you want, take it.

JefMaj
12-08-2009, 09:30 PM
It's a premium article... however, ISD seems to be intimating that he may be ready to fall off the fence... onto the ND side of things.

NDinL.A.
12-08-2009, 10:02 PM
It's a premium article... however, ISD seems to be intimating that he may be ready to fall off the fence... onto the ND side of things.

Nope, just basically says he's in wait and see mode as far as the new coaching staff...

Big23Head
12-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Visited Minnesota, said it went well. Overall he says each of his four schools, Miinn, Wisc, ND, Stanford, have their advantages. He hopes to make a decision in the next couple weeks. Also his committment may be somewhat quiet, he said his style is low key and relaxed so he doesn't want to make it a big deal. Lastly he too wants to speak with the new coaches and get a feel for them before deciding.

Big23Head
12-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Allen now has Wisconsin, Minnesota and ND as his top 3, however he said I wants to decide within the next week or two. Later in the interview he said he hopes to choose by Christmas...if he does I doubt it will be ND IMO.

Maddog77
12-21-2009, 01:15 AM
Per Rivals he is now a Badger.

Big23Head
12-21-2009, 09:47 AM
Yup, Gaston is huge now.

BGIF
12-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Profile updated

WabashFalcon
12-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Gaston, party of one.... your scholarship is ready. Gaston, party of one.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
12-21-2009, 04:46 PM
crap. Guess that debate as to who is a better get is no longer needed