PDA

View Full Version : '10 CA OLB Chris Martin ( o___O)

Pages : [1] 2 3

SoCalDomer
07-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Defensive End
Aurora Co Grandview

Height: 6-4
Weight: 240
Forty: 4.65

Ratings and Rankings
Rivals: :s::s::s::s::s:; Defensive End (2); National (16)
Scout: :s::s::s::s::s:; Defensive End (3); National (6)
ESPN: :s::s::s::s:; #111 in Top 150; Defensive End (12); Grade 81

Statistics
Junior: 115 Tackles; 40 For Loss; 4 Sacks

Offers
CAL (12/11)
Florida (OV 11/27)
Oklahoma (OV 11/14)
USC

Notre Dame (10/16)
Colorado
Georgia
Nebraska
Oregon
USC
Stanford
UCLA

Multimedia
Drills: Chris Martin (http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/USC-Camp-Chris-Martin-32041)

ND Recruiter: Randy Hart

Decision: 12/13 CAL; (12/1 Decommit Notre Dame; 2/4/09 verbal)

SoCalDomer
07-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Despite being a standout at linebacker in California, Chris apparently has very little interest in USC, which is good for alot of reasons.

His top three appear to be UCLA, Colorado and Notre Dame.

irishmarine
07-07-2008, 02:18 PM
thats great news. i like this kid that much more now

RecruitingJunkie24
07-07-2008, 08:29 PM
i dont know if i'd say he has very little interest in southern cal, he just camped there and had very positive things to say about them in the articles i read

SoCalDomer
07-07-2008, 08:38 PM
where that came from is an interview to a Bruin recruiting site. he said he has no interest in USC. he even went so far as to say you may hear people saying i'm interested in USC. he said don't believe them. i think that was a premium article so i can't quote it.

now, as with all things recruiting, things can change. but that was pretty explicit.

SoCalDomer
07-07-2008, 08:49 PM
i went a reviewed where i read that quote and it is from BruinBlitz (rivals) so i can't quote it. But the quote was recent, stating that he anticipated that after the Rising Stars camp at USC next week people would likely say he was interested.

RecruitingJunkie24
07-07-2008, 10:21 PM
i went a reviewed where i read that quote and it is from BruinBlitz (rivals) so i can't quote it. But the quote was recent, stating that he anticipated that after the Rising Stars camp at USC next week people would likely say he was interested.

hmm i can't find that article, i have a rivals subscription so if u could pm me the link that'd be great, the most recent update of his on rivals he doesn't mention notre dame as one of his top schools. instead he says stanford, southern cal, ucla, and colorado are his top schools and he'd like to see more of oregon

SoCalDomer
07-07-2008, 10:50 PM
it was an update from Rich Kimbrel on BruinBlitz, around June 20.

one thing i'm cognizant of is that recruits change their minds... sometimes often, and it's also important to keep in mind things they say certain recruiting reports may be the recruit playing the game. (i.e. hinting he is still wide open to make sure the coaches recruit hard, and not giving away any favorites so his school of choice doesn't slow play them for an offer.)

SoCalDomer
07-08-2008, 11:38 AM
This is from an article after he attended the USC camp last week. The statements are not contradictory to prior reports that he had no interest in USC, since it's possible to be flattered but still not be interested. But it is also possible there is slanted writing by either the Bruin recruiting guy or the USC recruiting guy or both. Or the kid is playing the recruiting game. With recruiting, very little is certain.

Martin, who knew he had a scholarship offer waiting for him before the camp started, came down a day early to talk with the Pete Carroll and the USC coaches.

“It was flattering to be there with the guy that you see on TV, who is always fired up on the field, and now you are in his office sitting with him and he is offering you a scholarship to go to his school,” Martin said of Pete Carroll.

“I am very proud of myself and what I accomplished at the camp and it is always good to leave there with an offer from USC.”

more (free): Scout.com: Martin Proves Himself at Rising Stars Camp (http://notredame.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=2&c=767540)

SoCalDomer
07-08-2008, 12:18 PM
since he has an offer from USC, i went ahead and added them as a school of interest. whether he's interested we may never fully know.

irishmarine
07-08-2008, 02:14 PM
whats his interest in us?

SoCalDomer
07-08-2008, 02:15 PM
back in June he listed ND with two other schools (UCLA and Colorado) as his favorites. But it is so early and he hasn't received all the offers he is going to receive. so it's hard to say whether that will remain true.

irishmarine
07-08-2008, 02:18 PM
well if we are there from the beginning and we stay on him and have him out for a visit i think we have a good shot

OCIrish
07-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah, if we can get him on campus for a visit, we'll have, I think, as good a shot as anybody else.

irishmarine
07-08-2008, 06:41 PM
thats the case with any recruit though, if they see the campus on a game day then we have a great shot

SoCalDomer
08-06-2008, 01:09 PM
More info coming out that Martin grew up in a ND home (think back to the movie Rudy "there's only one team we watch in this house") since his father grew up just a short distance from Indianapolis.

Martin may be visiting South Bend unofficially soon. He looks to be high on the coaching staff's list for 2010.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
08-06-2008, 01:41 PM
I read the article. He seems to love ND. He said he defends ND when people out in Cali rag on our Irish.

irishmarine
08-06-2008, 08:38 PM
i like this kid more and more. anybody who tells californians to shut thier mouths when bashing the irish is good with me.

GoIrish41
08-07-2008, 10:34 PM
possible insane recruiting class in 2010

Martin - lifelong ND fan with ties to Indiana
Smith - South Bend WR with ties to ND
Lombard - ND lean
Henderson - Former Floyd teammate and ND lean
Barr-ND ties and ND Lean
Carter-ND Lean
Fierowitz-ND lean
Martin-ND lean
Ian Gray-ND ties and ND lean

That's just 9 guys I can think of off the top of my head. You guys might know more that I'm not thinking of. But, these fellows would make the corp of an uber class. ND has a nice season with 8 or 9 wins, and I think it convinces these 9 to pick ND and after that, we have room for 10 or 12 more who want to climb on the NC bandwagon. 2010 could just be a sick recruiting season.

irishmarine
08-07-2008, 11:44 PM
omg if they all did commit then that would be the nastiest reecruiting class ever

daytonirish
08-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Class of 2010 is definetly looking great right now.

IrishinTN
08-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Think you listed Martin twice. Did you mean to list Hurst? That may be the only one you missed.

irishmarine
08-08-2008, 10:52 AM
isnt he a legacy here

IrishinTN
08-08-2008, 02:12 PM
You may be thinking of Barr or Tailor Jones, both sons of ex-Irish.

irishmarine
08-08-2008, 02:14 PM
maybe...im not too sure

daytonirish
08-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Not a legacy, but have heard that his dad is from the Indy area. And on Saturday afternoons would only put the t.v. on NBC and Notre Dame football. Also folks are saying he sticks up for the Irish when folks talk about the 3 cali teams in the pac-10. Don't think anyone would argue with him.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
08-08-2008, 05:56 PM
I love our coaching staff. No one is going to out work them when it comes to recruiting. Go Irish!

irishmarine
08-08-2008, 07:15 PM
totally agree hater. they seemed determined to get back the glory days of years past but still keeping the value of people at the highest level. in a world of college football where coaches bring in shady characters who can run fast this staff finds the kids who are fast and of good moral character. congrats to the staff and players for continuing the tradition of high quality people not just players

SoCalDomer
08-12-2008, 02:01 PM
you will want to read this: TMNews.com | The Times-Mail - Bedford, Indiana newspaper (http://www.tmnews.com/stories/2008/08/12/prepsports.nw-546288.tms)

irishmarine
08-12-2008, 06:36 PM
while it seems like there are alot of schools going after this kid it still seems we are in the front, but other schools may be closing fast

SoCalDomer
08-12-2008, 07:27 PM
showing interest and closing in are two different things. he and his dad note the quality of a top education. and they seem to know which schools really stress academics for those in high profiles sports. he spoke highly of stanford in addition to ND. so lets hope his "at home" feel in Indiana wins out.

brownkj002
08-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Anyone else pick up on this in the article?

“He got introduced to coach Lynch and all of his staff (Monday) and it’s impressive what they’re doing here. I’ll tell you, after seeing Notre Dame’s players and IU’s, IU’s look bigger and stronger.”

I hope that's not true.

fitz_bu47
08-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Ya that was kind of bothersome to me as well.

SoCalDomer
08-12-2008, 08:55 PM
why? one kids' impression? :rolleyes:

you can go compare the reported weights yourselves. and i'm not sure how anyone could determine who is stronger just by looking at players.

too many people overreact with the sky is falling over every little comment made in dicta. i know it's been a long off-season, now let's relax. deep breathing.

daytonirish
08-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Guys before we all start to get to worked up over 2010 kids. Lets remember that its almost a year and a half before they can even sign with any school.

SoCalDomer
09-02-2008, 01:46 PM
ND sent Chris a written offer this week.

wicket
12-17-2008, 09:49 AM
looking at scout I noticed we are on high interest combined with usc. Would love to score our first 5* commit (scout) so quickly. Also prolly still a position of need next year.

NDinL.A.
01-26-2009, 04:13 PM
This guy is a huge recruit for us, in that he's a linebacker and he's a 5 star beast. From what I've read it was between USC and ND, and we were looking very good, esp considering he has family in Indiana and he was very close with Jappy Oliver.

But of course all that changed when Jappy got fired, errr, resigned, and now the news is not good on him. Now he says he's back at square one, which sucks for us because it looked like we were this close with him. Some of his quotes:

"That was my main guy recruiting me,” Martin said. “Coach (Rob) Ianello is supposed to be recruiting my area, but I had a much better relationship with coach Oliver.“I didn’t even expect him to leave. It was up and kind of out of nowhere. It kind of affected the whole process. He was the only person I had a number for," Martin said. “I don’t have a number for coach (Charlie) Weis or Ianello.”

And apparently Martin hasn’t talked to anyone on the Notre Dame’s coaching staff since Oliver’s departure. That's not good news because he wants to commit early:

"It will just be nice to get it out of the way. I feel comfortable enough, that once I decide, I can really focus and have a solid senior season, and prove to everyone why I want to go to school there. Somewhere probably around February I’d like to say. I’d like to make a decision somewhere definitely by the spring, but right now I’m planning on somewhere in February."

CW has been out because of surgery, but somebody needs to give this guy a call. I'm sure since these quotes came out last week that somebody has (CW is a master recruiter; I can't believe he'd let this go on the way it has), but I haven't heard about it yet. He'd be a great get to go with 5 star OL Lombard and WR Smith...

goldandblue
01-27-2009, 10:30 AM
I would say it is almost a lost cause at this point.

irishmarine
01-27-2009, 11:05 AM
wow what a waste

IHateMarkMay
01-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Why is it a lost cause? I thought he had family in Indiana? Is Jappy Oliver the only reason he had ND that high on his list?

goldandblue
01-28-2009, 09:03 AM
I would say that it is not the only reason he had ND on his list but it was a big one. Read above about 3-4 posts.

IHateMarkMay
01-28-2009, 06:25 PM
It just tells me that Jappy got fired therefore Martin will not come to ND. That would be a big reason to reconsider however I thought i read somewhere he has family in IN.

NDinL.A.
01-29-2009, 02:23 PM
I would say it is almost a lost cause at this point.

Very good news on him. The mod on DD, who is VERY in-tuned with this sort of thing, said that Polian visited him recently and calmed everything down. Seemed all he needed was a little love. And when Kennard committed to USC (same position), that set up things beautifully for ND. He's going to announce by spring, and ND seems to be in the top spot again...

allnd1962
01-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Good news NDin L.A. thanks for the update.

sportallyr
01-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Polian to the rescue. If anybody on this crew deserves a raise, it's Brian Polian We had better keep that man very happy.

irishmarine
01-30-2009, 02:10 AM
yeah polian is a monster recruiter. he needs a raise

phork
01-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Thats good news, however announcing early like this is worrisome.

goldandblue
01-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah, Polian is a great recruiter. The ND admin need to pay him good enough so that he doesn't want to move on for a while!

irish4ever
01-30-2009, 11:17 AM
yeah polian is a monster recruiter. he needs a raise

IF he lands Martin, I say double his salary!!

WabashFalcon
01-30-2009, 11:20 AM
IF he lands Martin, I say double his salary!!

If he lands a marlin while landing Martin, I'd say something fishy is going on!

Ha...ha... *mumbles, kicks ground*

IrishGrizz
01-30-2009, 01:00 PM
If you have been following Martins recruitment for awhile, you might not be as worried as you are, phork. Since he was a fr or soph, ND has been working on him, and he is from Bishop O'Dowd HS in Oakland, CA. He has been a ND fan for along time, has family that lives in Indiana, and I believe some relatives even work at ND. He has always had ND #1, and USC just because they also know talent have spent alot of time on him just to get to the #2 slot.

With the loss of Jappy Oliver, we did take a step back, but that was as much Martins tremendous relationship w him. At the same time, u$c did the same thing w their DC moving up to UW. Now that the other coaches have been back in cotact w him, he is probably as likely to commit to ND in the next few months as anyone.

JMO

sportallyr
01-30-2009, 03:35 PM
If you have been following Martins recruitment for awhile, you might not be as worried as you are, phork. Since he was a fr or soph, ND has been working on him, and he is from Bishop O'Dowd HS in Oakland, CA. He has been a ND fan for along time, has family that lives in Indiana, and I believe some relatives even work at ND. He has always had ND #1, and USC just because they also know talent have spent alot of time on him just to get to the #2 slot.

With the loss of Jappy Oliver, we did take a step back, but that was as much Martins tremendous relationship w him. At the same time, u$c did the same thing w their DC moving up to UW. Now that the other coaches have been back in cotact w him, he is probably as likely to commit to ND in the next few months as anyone.

JMO

Very nice. Let's get him. We need more difference makers on the defensive side of the ball. Getting Jake Heaps (or another stud QB) and getting Chris Martin are probably the most important recruits for next year.

irish4ever
01-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Getting Jake Heaps (or another stud QB) and getting Chris Martin are probably the most important recruits for next year.

I don't totally agree with you on this comment. Though Heaps and Martin would be great gets, not sure they're the most important. Landing stud OL (Lombard, Henderson, etc.) and stud DL to me are as much if not more important. It always starts in the trenches!

OCIrish
01-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Grizz, thanks for the info. He would be a huge get for us, as I'm not as worried about this years class, compared to next years class. Next year's class is loaded from top to bottom in just about every position, so getting in on some or most of the top talent in next year's class is more important than how we finish this year.

IHateMarkMay
01-30-2009, 10:15 PM
I love how we are getting a huge early start for next year. Reminds me of how Texas does it every year. Get the kids early, keep them, finish with a top 10 class.

irishmarine
01-31-2009, 06:15 PM
and that why texas is always in a bowl game.

IrishGrizz
02-02-2009, 03:33 PM
I read an article about the Texas HC saying each year the state of texas produces about 225-250 D1 football players. Texas being texas, most of those kids grew up w 1 team they wanted to play for in college- UTexas. So he just signs 25 of the 225-250 and the rest are pissed they can't get an offer. Not as hard to recruit in that setting. He just skims off the cream.

irish4ever
02-03-2009, 08:01 AM
I read an article about the Texas HC saying each year the state of texas produces about 225-250 D1 football players. Texas being texas, most of those kids grew up w 1 team they wanted to play for in college- UTexas. So he just signs 25 of the 225-250 and the rest are pissed they can't get an offer. Not as hard to recruit in that setting. He just skims off the cream.

Yeah, unfortunately Indiana doesn't provide that luxury ... that many top-notch D1 players to choose from. Don't get me wrong, there are SOME very good HS football players in Indiana, just not the numbers like Texas, Florida, etc. So it should be no surprise why UTexas and UFla. always have plenty of talent on there teams.

The Polish Irishman
02-04-2009, 03:35 PM
is he going to commit soon? perchance in past tense

Clausen2Kamara
02-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Heard he wants 2 play with Te'o and is our next commit to the 2010 class!!

LOVEMYIRISH
02-04-2009, 03:41 PM

my fingers are crossed...

Irishlew
02-04-2009, 03:41 PM

heard from where...just wondering if there was a link.

Golden_Domer88
02-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Alot of buzz going around about charlie talking about a 2010 recruit after his presser today. Alot of people are saying that Martin has committed to the Irish after Teo committed. Huge get if true and it goes to show that once you start pulling these top recruits away from USC, that it will be a snowball effect. Because we need Blue chip defensive recruits and we are getting them.

Clausen2Kamara
02-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Alot of buzz going around about charlie talking about a 2010 recruit after his presser today. Alot of people are saying that Martin has committed to the Irish after Teo committed. Huge get if true and it goes to show that once you start pulling these top recruits away from USC, that it will be a snowball effect. Because we need Blue chip defensive recruits and we are getting them.

Saved me a lot of explaining...Reps.

Irishlew
02-04-2009, 04:14 PM
is this what you're referring too?

“Anytime you can get a dynamic player, that comes with so-called fanfare, there are a lot of positives that comes with that,” Weis said. “Besides the fact that I really, really like the kid and I think that he is going to have an opportunity to help us young, there are so many positives. The team is fired up. I’m sure the student body will be fired up. It has already paid dividends recruiting for 2010. There’s going to be a ton of positive residuals.”

The Polish Irishman
02-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Scout is reporting Martin is Irish....Awesome

wicket
02-04-2009, 04:20 PM
its up on scout, sweeeet

Polish Leppy 22
02-04-2009, 04:21 PM
What a beautiful friggin day

So glad that clown Moore didn't end up at ND

Te'o is going to pay some serious dividends for us on and off the field

Irishlew
02-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Scout is reporting Martin is Irish....Awesome

Scout.com: Chris Martin Profile (http://notredame.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=9&c=2&cid=836685&nid=3450156&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fnotredame.scout.com%2fa. z%3fs%3d109%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d836685%26nid%3 d3450156%26fhn%3d1)

Rocket's Rocket Fan
02-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Awesome!!!

Brown
02-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Wow, the best defensive player in 2009 class, and likely; the highest ranked defensive player in 2010 class, both committed in a matter of hours.

This is huge.

WabashFalcon
02-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Need a second cigarette and a second pair of shorts.

vinnymac2402
02-04-2009, 04:38 PM
this just proves god is irish and he does love us

Irishlew
02-04-2009, 04:40 PM
from ESPN

4:30 p.m.: A couple more Notre Dame tidbits. • ESPNU 150 Watch List linebacker Chris Martin verbally committed to the Irish this afternoon. The 2010 prospect is very versatile; he's shown skills at LB and TE. We project him to play on the defensive side of the ball in South Bend. Martin has great size and is quick to fill through the hole.

goldandblue
02-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Sweet! two 5 star linebackers in one day....

PADOMERNUT
02-04-2009, 04:52 PM
STUNNED......in a great way

GOLDENISTHYTATE
02-04-2009, 05:07 PM
I read the same thing on ESPN and thought it was a joke. I have read on various recruiting sites that Martin will certainly be the top defensive player in California and will have a definite shot at being the highest rated national defensive player. It truly feels like being an Irish fan won't be something to be mocked in the years to come.

Folsteam_Ahead
02-04-2009, 05:34 PM
i live in san francisco which means i haven't seen a decent football game in these parts for years. when high school ball starts back up i'll make the trek across the bay to check this kid out. he has the makings of a beast. love to have someone reppin oak town on our roster soon.

JeremyND07
02-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Great day!!! What are the chances this kid adds 40-50 pounds in the next 2 years and becomes a dominate DE we need?

Ricochet
02-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Great day!!! What are the chances this kid adds 40-50 pounds in the next 2 years and becomes a dominate DE we need?He's dominate LB and/or dominate DE in a 4-3 but from what I've been told that know much more than I do about him suggest that he's not a good fit as a 3-4 DE and that it would be a waste of his skills and athleticism.

Chance Carter on the other hand is someone I think who by the end of the month will be a ND commit is more likely be bulked up to be a WDE but he in my opinion is more of a 4-3 DE.

tko
02-04-2009, 08:08 PM
He's dominate LB and/or dominate DE in a 4-3 but from what I've been told that know much more than I do about him suggest that he's not a good fit as a 3-4 DE and that it would be a waste of his skills and athleticism.

Chance Carter on the other hand is someone I think who by the end of the month will be a ND commit is more likely be bulked up to be a WDE but he in my opinion is more of a 4-3 DE.

i guarantee this kid won't be wasted. he'll be put in a position to be successful and make plays and showcase his talents. wow, what a day.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
02-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Today keeps getting better. Welcome Chris Martin. Go Irish!

Irishlew
02-04-2009, 09:41 PM
god did we (ND fans) need this day so bad. This good feeling is gonna carry over to the B/G game in the spring.

OCIrish
02-04-2009, 10:20 PM
god did we (ND fans) need this day so bad. This good feeling is gonna carry over to the B/G game in the spring.

Agreed, and I can't wait for April to get here. I was excited about hearing Te'o committed to us, then I get home and Martin committed to us as well. That's one hell of a day.

mooneytostle
02-05-2009, 01:35 PM
USC Camp: Chris Martin - Rivals.com Video (http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/USC-Camp-Chris-Martin-32041)

free video.

This kid is an absolute beast.

goldandblue
02-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Poor guy he was lined up against ended up on his ass several times huh!!

irish4ever
02-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Damn what an animal! I bet 'ol Petey is pissed about his verbal to ND.

Folsteam_Ahead
02-05-2009, 03:43 PM
he's got a motor much like a trevor laws except that he's a legit size for a spot on the DL, or will be as his body fills out over the next couple of years. i cant wait to see him against top notch competition in next year's all star games.

Rocket's Rocket Fan
02-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Holy Crap he looks like a beast!!!

Irishlew
02-05-2009, 05:16 PM
you put 20-25 pounds on that kid...holy shit. Like Julius Peppers.

Irishlew
02-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Rivals has a premium article about Martin with the title...'I'm 100-percent Irish'

Several weeks ago Chris Martin felt so strongly about Notre Dame that the junior linebacker was ready to commit. On Wednesday, the 6-foot-4, 220-pound linebacker followed through with those plans.

Irishlew
02-05-2009, 11:45 PM
apparently his plan is to enroll early.

GoIrish41
02-06-2009, 02:18 AM
i live in san francisco which means i haven't seen a decent football game in these parts for years. when high school ball starts back up i'll make the trek across the bay to check this kid out. he has the makings of a beast. love to have someone reppin oak town on our roster soon.

I lived in Alameda a couple of years back in my Navy days, and as most of these games are at night, you watch your back going into Oakland. :eek:That city is seems like one big bad neighborhood. Although, I always liked Jack London Square.

Stalking_Eagle
02-06-2009, 05:51 AM
Welcome To The Good Life Boys!!!

Did our lady just do a jig on top of tha dome last wednesday?

tko
02-06-2009, 07:10 AM
apparently his plan is to enroll early.

that w/b awesome if he can manage to do enroll early.

wicket
02-06-2009, 07:42 AM
that w/b awesome if he can manage to do enroll early.

he could see the field in year 1. Awesome if he qualifies to EE

nd1988
02-06-2009, 07:56 AM
IDK......I read in the SBT today that his coach is or was upset with his early decision. The 2 top schools on his list are ND and USC "just like Manti was"..... This kid has gone to SC's camp and will be the number 1 prospect coming out of Cali....Seems like next signing day will be very interesting as well too.. We took Manti from SC and now I think SC will return the favor.....I think Sneaky Pete is up to something...

Mattmags
02-06-2009, 08:10 AM
I heard Chris Martin's interview on Power Hour Wednesday night. He seems like a smart kid who, at this point, is in no way looking at any other schools. He is sold on the irish and seems to be a lock for next years NSD.

Also, I think we just need to think for a second and realize the magnitude of this commitment. Chris will most likely be one of the top 3 defensive players in the country next year. He was also the #1 target for USC on the defensive side of the ball. WOW...Charlie Weis and Brian Polian are doing some fantastic things in California.

wicket
02-06-2009, 08:18 AM
yeah as long as we dont become complacent on this guy i feel good about him and you just know polian wont become complacent. Martin seems to like the chance to start recruiting for ND a bit as well and you dont do that untill you are sold.

JeremyND07
02-06-2009, 08:28 AM
He is the type of guy that will be like a JC of a few years ago. He will be our best recruiter on the west coast. ND is going to have a dominate defense soon boys I can feel it!!!!

Jason Pham
02-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Profile updated

MirageSmack
02-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Poor guy he was lined up against ended up on his ass several times huh!!

That was UCLA 4* commit Xavier Su'a Filo. Niiiice.

Xavier Su'a Filo - Football Recruiting (http://ucla.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=74039)

Clausen2Kamara
02-06-2009, 11:02 PM

So I called it...where's my reps??? Haha. I'm just glad we got him...Kid is a difference maker...

NDOM
02-06-2009, 11:15 PM
So I called it...where's my reps??? Haha. I'm just glad we got him...Kid is a difference maker...

Reps headed your way.

mat33
02-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Does anyone have free game film of Martin?

Folsteam_Ahead
02-07-2009, 12:25 PM
yeah as long as we dont become complacent on this guy i feel good about him and you just know polian wont become complacent. Martin seems to like the chance to start recruiting for ND a bit as well and you dont do that untill you are sold.

we know he's already spent time at the USC camps and was a top performer. who knows how much influence he'll have on kids either as an example of elite talent going to ND or with his words and personality. having a kid like this on the west coast will give us legit reps from recruits themselves.

MirageSmack
02-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I guess this is how USC does it. Get one domino (Manti) to fall, and the rest will take care of themselves.

Irish1587
02-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Word from Domer Domain is he is goin to transfer to the Hun school in N.J ( same as stockton) in effort to enroll early and get away from petey and slick Rick.

irishmarine
02-10-2009, 04:16 PM
that would be amazing. to ransfer to help get in early and get away from sneaky pete. i hope he is helping out with recruiting now too

Clausen2Kamara
02-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Word from Domer Domain is he is goin to transfer to the Hun school in N.J ( same as stockton) in effort to enroll early and get away from petey and slick Rick.

That would really make me feel much more confident that we land him!! He is this years version of Manti on D IMO...not saying he's better because they have different skill sets, but he is the best D player I've seen on film for 2010...Barr is close though.

Irishlew
02-10-2009, 04:50 PM
No game film, but i love watching him Destroy Scout's #3 rated OG Xavier Su'a Filo (UCLA commit)

USC Camp: Chris Martin - Rivals.com Video (http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/USC-Camp-Chris-Martin-32041)

GOLDENISTHYTATE
02-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Man Chris just got me excited with that video. And yes in that way

irishmarine
02-10-2009, 11:21 PM
wow this kid just dominated everyone that lined up against him. that was impressive. glad hes irish

HawaiianIrish
02-11-2009, 02:33 AM
at 225 he's killing guys. what till he is about 265..Notre Dames opponents will be pissing thier pants... Hey Matt Barkley you need pampers lol lol

NDty9
02-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Love the video posted by Lew... This is deff the type of Stud we need at ND !.....Manti has started something here!

ndfi78
02-11-2009, 11:59 AM
hell yes!

Mattmags
02-11-2009, 01:09 PM
it's ahrd to believe he's 225 lbs. he looks like 210. But this is a good thing as he looks to be able to add a lot of weight yet and keep his speed.

Clausen2Kamara
02-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Yea kid is gonna be a beast...wow, I just can't stop watching that film...his first step is amazing and he's already developed a nice rip and spin move.

nthurman
02-11-2009, 03:07 PM
with martin on one side and KLM on the other it could get scary.

General Colon Bowel
02-12-2009, 12:22 AM
saw on uhnd that Martin might be transferring to the Hun school in NewJersey in order to be able to enroll at ND in spring 2010.

Irishlew
02-12-2009, 01:11 AM
here's the link for the post above...Chris Martin To Follow in Stockton’s Footsteps? - UHND.com Blog (http://www.uhnd.com/blog/2009/notre-dame-recruiting/chris-martin-follow-stocktons-footsteps/)

irishmarine
02-12-2009, 01:21 AM
get em in here early to adapt to college life and play in the spring will be great for these kids

NDinL.A.
02-13-2009, 12:19 PM
More reasons to love Chris Martin:

South Bend Tribune: Martin rebuffs other suitors (http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20090212%2FSPORTS13%2F902120297%2F1 021%2FXML)

This guy is as solid a commit as they come. He's ALL Irish. And what a great kid. Well-spoken, hard-worker, everything you want in a player. Oh, and he's a beast (that never hurts!). And he's already recruiting other guys to ND! Must read article; also some nuggets on other ND stuff...

ACamp1900
02-13-2009, 12:22 PM
I can't wait to see how low Rivals and ESPn rates this kid... double odds he gets no where near the love Scout gives him

Pete Da Sneak
02-13-2009, 09:13 PM
I can't wait to see how low Rivals and ESPn rates this kid... double odds he gets no where near the love Scout gives him

Why would the other 2 sites have him rated considerably lower?

IrishInFl
02-14-2009, 02:47 AM

BECAUSE THERE'S A CONSPIRACY AGAINST ND MAN! Seriously though, I think everyone puts him the the top ten.

irishmarine
02-14-2009, 09:22 PM
i dont know how they could drop him. everything i have heard is hes the best d guy on the west coast

Clausen2Kamara
02-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Me too Marine...Kid is a can't miss prospect..

HawaiianIrish
02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
everytime i watch that vid of him blowing up the offensive tackle i get a semi chub.... looks like martin will be the pass rusher our D needs.

Polish Leppy 22
02-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Wouldn't wanna sit next to you during one of his games

Just kidding, buddy. Kid's a beast

HawaiianIrish
02-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Wouldn't wanna sit next to you during one of his games

Just kidding, buddy. Kid's a beast

LMAO figure of speech my friend...

ACamp1900
02-17-2009, 04:24 PM

i dont know how they could drop him. everything i have heard is hes the best d guy on the west coast

Now that I see what rivals did to Wood I REALLY can't wait to see how they hate on him... at this point it goes WAY beyond bs conspiracy stuff... it is pretty obvious... you verbal to ND your ratings get dropped... and yet ESPN radio is constantly bashing recruiting sites for giving a kid too much credit once he goes to ND....?!?!?!?!?

I don't see how they could have dropped ten other studs players over the past three years... didn't stop them then... this kid is a BEAST, and the best in the west, so was Teo... they'll still hate on him imo

irishmarine
02-17-2009, 06:07 PM
we will have to wait and see

IrishInFl
02-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Calm down people! It is not always the case that the player is dropped in rankings. Just look at Floyd. He was a 4 star according to Rivals before the Army All-American game. After he tore it up, he became a 5 star. The opposite happened with Wood. He was a 5 star, he sucked at the Army All-American game, so, like he should have, he dropped in ranking.

Clausen2Kamara
02-17-2009, 10:47 PM
For sure...Thats how rivals does it...You look good against the best of the best and they'll improve your ratings...if not they'll drop you...I agree in some aspects because its just one game but agree in others because it is against the best in the nation...

NDinL.A.
03-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Here's a couple tidbits about Martin from Rivals:

WHY HE'S A FIVE-STAR: "This tall, rangy linebacker is a pass-rushing specialist who wreaks havoc before a play has the chance to take shape. Martin also is the true definition of a hustler, turning himself into a guided missile on kickoff coverage. Don't be surprised if he grows into a weakside defensive end, in the mold of Jevon Kearse." - Rivals.com Recruiting Analyst Barry Every
MARTIN SAYS: "I see plays develop really well. My Dad always taught me since the day I started playing football that even though the play is on the other side of the field, that doesn't mean the play is over. That always stuck in my head."
TOP SCHOOLS: Martin committed to Notre Dame on Feb. 4 over offers from Cal, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Georgia, LSU, North Carolina, Colorado, Nebraska and others.

Also:

Martin is a hybrid outside linebacker/defensive end who's been terrorizing offenses in the Bay Area for the past two seasons. Martin, who committed early to Notre Dame, has racked up 230-plus tackles the past two seasons and dominated in every camp setting. His upside is through the roof.

"Chris has really matured his game, but he's still a long way away from what we think he'll eventually be," O'Dowd coach Paul Perenon said. "He's a special player, one of the best I've ever coached, but to think what he's going to be like in a few years is amazing."

phork
03-12-2009, 06:47 AM
Please come now.

Rocket's Rocket Fan
03-12-2009, 09:42 AM
What phork said.

irishmarine
03-12-2009, 11:44 AM
seriously. kid is a beast and everyone is on his jock. hard to believe them all sweating him like that and hes a notre dame commit. usually they start trying to tear him down but he seems to be the real deal

Folsteam_Ahead
03-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Please come now.

that's what she said

Clausen2Kamara
03-12-2009, 07:32 PM
that's what she said

Oh my...I am just so excited for this kid...I hope he enrolls early he could make a huge impact on our D 2 years from now...Ala what Te'o is gonna do this year comin up...Wish he could get here sooner!!!

Irishlew
03-13-2009, 10:55 AM
great article on rivals.

http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=923518

he's excited about being a recruiter now for ND. In talks with quite a few prospects from the west. Wants Henderson and Barr to commit the most.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
03-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Martin has said that he doesn't plan to enroll early so that doesn't look feasible. He does seem to have a very good head on his shoulders.

allnd1962
03-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Keep on recruiting Chris we are looking forward to seein' you on the field at Notre Dame.

Mavericknyc1980
03-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Keep on recruiting Chris we are looking forward to seein' you on the field at Notre Dame.

Wow, just wow. LOL that Hawaii BOWL was a huge turnaround for this franchise.

The Polish Irishman
03-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Martin has been in contact with some recruits talking about ND and meeting them at the spring game. Lucky Radley asked him for Charlie's number and he has talked to Fortt.

Riddickulous
03-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Good to hear he's helping us recruit.

The Polish Irishman
04-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Don't believe the April Fool's Joke about C. Martin

IrishAddiction
04-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Martin has said that he doesn't plan to enroll early so that doesn't look feasible. He does seem to have a very good head on his shoulders.

actually i just read differently, found an article on uhnd.com stating that he might follow in Stocktons footsteps and come on campus early, and may transfer to the hun school actually. dont know how likely it is, but it would be sweet. link below.

Chris Martin To Follow in Stockton’s Footsteps? - UHND.com Blog (http://www.uhnd.com/blog/2009/notre-dame-recruiting/chris-martin-follow-stocktons-footsteps/)

Irishlew
04-08-2009, 04:12 PM
old article, he said even if he goes to Hun he's still not enrolling early.

SoCalDomer
04-08-2009, 04:45 PM
that article is from early february, right after he verballed. it seems the plan now is for him to stay, graduate in the spring and enroll in the fall.

irish4ever
04-09-2009, 09:23 AM
As long as he's stays Irish, it's not that much of an issue.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
04-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I knew I was right

ndlb41
04-29-2009, 03:20 PM
I read on rivals.com that Chris visited Colorado this last weekend for their spring game. WTF is up with that?

SoCalDomer
04-29-2009, 03:31 PM
where on rivals? in an actual story or on the message boards?

after Chris commited, he gave a quote to one of the sites that pretty much slammed the door on any possibility for interest in other schools.

in addition, he is one of ND's biggest recruiters. during the spring game he went to the bookstore and bought the most colorful ND gear he could, so that you would definitely see where his interest is.

to me, he is the least likely to waiver or play games.

ndlb41
04-29-2009, 03:43 PM
I hope you are right but if you go to the ND page (IrishI llistrated) it has a section called "the ticker" the headline says "Five-star linebacker visits Colorado"

ndlb41
04-29-2009, 03:44 PM
This is what the tidbit says "Prior to committing to Notre Dame, Chris Martin had listed Colorado on his list of schools he was most interested in. This past weekend, the nation's top ranked outside linebacker prospect from the Class of 2010 tripped to Boulder and was in attendance for the Buffaloes' spring game." This is in thier free info portion of their site so I hope I didn't break any rules by posting it.

SoCalDomer
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
ya i saw that. i will look at it. it is very odd considering the latest quotes from him.

Hey Scooby, fire up the Mystery Machine, we have a case to solve.

wicket
04-29-2009, 03:52 PM
dont worry (you can actually hear the complete reason for it on the II radio show somewhere). He was going with a griend of him who was a bit overwhelmed by the recruiting proces and wanted someone to go with him to stay grounded. He apparently informed the colorado staff beforehand that this was not a recruiting trip for him and that he was just there for moral support of his friend.

SoCalDomer
04-29-2009, 04:00 PM
dont worry (you can actually hear the complete reason for it on the II radio show somewhere). He was going with a griend of him who was a bit overwhelmed by the recruiting proces and wanted someone to go with him to stay grounded. He apparently informed the colorado staff beforehand that this was not a recruiting trip for him and that he was just there for moral support of his friend.

right. rivals has subscriptions to sell, hence the true but misleading title. (he was in attendance, but obviously there's no interest).

"5-star recruit firmly committed to ND that CU has no shot at, made a trip out to help a friend being recruited by CU..."

i guess the truth doesn't sell as many subscriptions. :laugh:

from what I hear, he was wearing ND apparel while there.

ndlb41
04-29-2009, 04:00 PM
thanks SoCal and wicket. Is it time to get a scooby snack since the case is solved? I think both of you deserve a whole box.

wicket
04-29-2009, 04:03 PM
meh, just glad to help out, if i didnt hear about the situation or heard about the latest comment about his commitment: ("Even if they wouldnt win a single game next season ND is still the school I'd go to") or something like that

ndlb41
04-29-2009, 04:12 PM
good to know he is all ND all the way!

Polish Leppy 22
04-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Martin is hands down my favotite recruit thus far for 2010. Let's send him to Texas, USC, Florida, OSU, everywhere...with his ND gear on haha.

Love it

Clausen2Kamara
04-29-2009, 10:15 PM
This kid is special. Inside and out...One of the few top recruits who knows what he wants..

NDinL.A.
05-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Turns out he's transferring to the Hun School in Jersey after all...

Notre Dame Football: IrishIllustrated.com - Notre Dame Football (http://notredame.rivals.com/)

Polish Leppy 22
05-07-2009, 03:11 PM
great news

IrishInFl
05-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Turns out he's transferring to the Hun School in Jersey after all...

Notre Dame Football: IrishIllustrated.com - Notre Dame Football (http://notredame.rivals.com/)

Do you think this will affect his rating? I mean he is a monster, but is it possible? Where is the tougher competition?

notredomer23
05-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Do you think this will affect his rating? I mean he is a monster, but is it possible? Where is the tougher competition?

He will be playing the best competition in New Jersey, which looking at the success of NJ players in the draft, thats pretty good comp

IHateMarkMay
05-07-2009, 07:17 PM
What about enrolling early?

notredomer23
05-07-2009, 07:18 PM
What about enrolling early?

---He will be enrolling early

Irishlew
05-07-2009, 07:22 PM
---He will be enrolling early

no he isn't.

here is what C-Mart has said about the situation, this is from today.

Hi everyone, it was brought to my attention by a friend that there was talk of EE again. This has caused many technical difficulties which prolonged the process of me getting accepted into the Hun because this issue was ruled out upon my acceptance and it kept becoming strung out as a result of message boards. I have been accepted and will be playing football and basketball at Hun. Please stop all talk and rumors of this due to the struggles me, my mother, and coach dudeck (head coach) have gone through for the past 5 months in erasing these rumors and speculations. Thank You. God Bless.

notredomer23
05-07-2009, 07:55 PM
no he isn't.

here is what C-Mart has said about the situation, this is from today.

I did not see this quote. I was going by earlier reports. thanks

Irishlew
05-07-2009, 07:57 PM
I did not see this quote. I was going by earlier reports. thanks

all the reports I've seen for months have said he was not enrolling early.

NDinL.A.
05-07-2009, 10:35 PM

I'm not coming down on you at all, so don't take this the wrong way or anything, but FU** the rating. It's a friggin number at this point with him, and we all know that this kid is an absolute monster (I wrote 'monster' before I realized that you used it...lol), so his ranking is meaningless at this point. With other guys I can see where it does matter, because these scouts are out there where normal fans can't be. But w/ Martin, they can drop him to a 2 star and I wouldn't give a rip. He's just soooooo damn good...

OCIrish
05-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Although, he has chosen ND, it's not going to matter with him where his rating ends up, he's still going to be a monster for us when he gets here. Him and Te'o on the same field at the same time? Bring on the Fighting Condoms from Southern California!!!!!!!

jason_h537
05-08-2009, 04:06 AM
I'm not coming down on you at all, so don't take this the wrong way or anything, but FU** the rating. It's a friggin number at this point with him, and we all know that this kid is an absolute monster (I wrote 'monster' before I realized that you used it...lol), so his ranking is meaningless at this point. With other guys I can see where it does matter, because these scouts are out there where normal fans can't be. But w/ Martin, they can drop him to a 2 star and I wouldn't give a rip. He's just soooooo damn good...

This kid is just too good. He gets looked over a bit because he commited so early, and it was on the coat tails of Te'o, but just too much talent. This is a special player, he will end a 5 star for sure.

BGIF
05-08-2009, 04:30 AM
He will be playing the best competition in New Jersey, which looking at the success of NJ players in the draft, thats pretty good comp

I gather you're not from NJ.

The Hun School has graduated some Div 1 players but you are not going to find them listed is the ESPN HS Top 25. You won't find them on the Star Ledger Top 25.

The Hun School doesn't play Don Bosco, St Joe's, Bergen Catholic, nor St. Peter's. They mostly play other prep boarding schools like The Peddie School.

Hun's student body is less than 500 students and that's for grades 6-12 AND includes co-eds.

I track GPAs and SAT/ACT scores each recruiting season. I don't care how great a bench press or 40 a kid posts. If he's got a low GPA and/or test scores then he's probably not going to pass ND Admissions. If "Introduction To The Hand Held Calculator" is his most advanced math course then he's headed to the SEC or USC.

Sometimes there's no mention of a recruit's GPA/scores. Generally for a reason.

Walter Payton and Duckett's father were both incensed that their sons were not admitted to ND. They lacked certain core courses ND required (over and above the NCAA requirements). Courses ND Admission's considers essential for an ND student to compete in an ND Classroom. Keep in mind all ND freshman take the same courses. ND athletes compete against All-American every Saturday. They compete against academic all-americans 5 days a week for grades. About 5 years ago the average ND freshman SAT score was around 1350 on a 1600 basis.

There's no place to hide.

Carson Palmer and a WR named David Terrell that ended up at UM both didn't make the cut with ND Admissions. Both were told they needed to improve some academic marker be it a course or a test score or both. They choose not to.

A few recruiting seasons ago Mullen's was sporting a meager GPA and ND Admissions advised he needed to show improved academic progress immediately. He buckled down and demonstrated he could do so.

I don't know Chris Martin's academic achievements. I've not seen them listed in any articles or profiles. Now absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. He might have a 4.0 and a 30 ACT, and a dozen AP courses under his belt. I don't know.

That said, I doubt he's going 3,000 miles to improve his pass rush technique at a football program that was 4-4 last year and lost to such high school football giants as The Blair Academy and Wyoming Seminary. They're students do excel in the classroom where class size averages about 12 students.

I'll hazard a guess he's going to hone his skills but not the gridiron kind the film already shows he possesses. He plays in one of the most competitive states in the country. One of the most talent rich. And he's not playing on some 6 man team in the Texas Panhandle.

Purely speculation on my part. I have NO inside information.

IF I'm reading the tea leaves correctly I have great respect for a kid that would to that length to wear a gold helmet. Conjours up visions of Rudy's heart in Lawrence Taylor's body. Or am I just having a flashback to a HS LB from Chicago that became an All-American DL AND a Double Domer.

Best wishes to Chris Martin in all his endeavors.

Irishlew
05-09-2009, 05:05 AM
A five-star defensive end on USC's radar is moving to New Jersey which could tip the scales towards Notre Dame in the recruiting battle.

lol..huh? What recruiting battle?

got this marvelous quote at USCFootball.com - The War Room (http://usc.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=944088)

NDinL.A.
05-09-2009, 09:38 AM
lol..huh? What recruiting battle?

got this marvelous quote at USCFootball.com - The War Room (http://usc.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=944088)

Wait, are these guys for real? "Tip the scales in ND's favor"????????? Guys, last February called, the news is out, the scale's broken. Martin is more ND than the leprechaun.

Do people really pay for subscriptions to crap like that? Wow...

jason_h537
05-09-2009, 09:55 PM
What's funny is this kid hates USC, lifelong Irish fan. This kid is doin what all of us here would do if we were talented enough to get scholarships.

IrishInFl
05-10-2009, 01:36 AM
What's funny is this kid hates USC, lifelong Irish fan. This kid is doin what all of us here would do if we were talented enough to get scholarships.

Actually, if I was a recruit I would wait until signing day to announce what school I would attend: Michigan or USC. Then I would toss both hats in a trash can and put on a ND hat from under the table.

jason_h537
05-10-2009, 01:43 AM
Actually, if I was a recruit I would wait until signing day to announce what school I would attend: Michigan or USC. Then I would toss both hats in a trash can and put on a ND hat from under the table.

That be great because you could waste their time and effort when they could be recruiting other kids, but id want to be recruiting for the irish as well

Clausen2Kamara
05-10-2009, 04:46 PM

Haha classic for sure!!! Reps.

The Polish Irishman
05-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Chris Martin Going downnnn thiss weekend...Nike Camp @ Stanford..playing DE for the FIRST TIME...tryna hop on that MVP train..going to be in the bay ALL WEEKEND..GIGGIDY GIGGIDY..IM OUT FOLKS...OH! F#$% USC =) have a good day.

Quote from Chris Martin's facebook page...I don't think we have to worry about U$C

jason_h537
05-15-2009, 11:24 PM
[QUOTE=OH! F#$% USC =) have a good day.[/QUOTE]

It's like we think alike

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
05-15-2009, 11:54 PM

So true Jason! Go Irish!

IrishInFl
05-16-2009, 02:42 AM
Chris Martin Going downnnn thiss weekend...Nike Camp @ Stanford..playing DE for the FIRST TIME...tryna hop on that MVP train..going to be in the bay ALL WEEKEND..GIGGIDY GIGGIDY..IM OUT FOLKS...OH! F#$% USC =) have a good day.

Quote from Chris Martin's facebook page...I don't think we have to worry about U$C

Well, maybe this will tip the scales in ND's favor to get Martin!

NDinL.A.
05-18-2009, 11:32 AM
From Steve Wiltfong:

At the Nike Football Combine held on the campus of Laney College in Oakland, Calif., the 6-foot-5, 241-pound Martin was arguably the most impressive player there, while also wearing a Notre Dame hat and a Play Like a Champion t-shirt when walking around.

Apparently Martin just owned it at the combine, and that was a big test because he was playing with his hand down full-time for the first time at a camp (at least that was what I read going into the camp). Can't wait to see him on campus...

Polish Leppy 22
05-18-2009, 12:06 PM
And he despises USC...beautiful

IrishInFl
05-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Sweet. So he grew an inch, and 20 lbs? He's already on his way to being a DE.

fitz_bu47
05-18-2009, 11:09 PM
I love this kid.

jason_h537
05-19-2009, 01:31 AM
Does anyone know if it's true that USC wont let him attend their camp now that he is a Irish commit

BGIF
05-19-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm happy he's an ND recruit but considering the weak schedule The Hun School plays, he needs performances like this on the combine circuit to get the ink to raise his status if ND's to be among the top recruiting classes.

Love the gear.

Recruiting by example.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Apparently while filling in the player info card at the camp, he put USC as his favorite school with a smiley face hahaha. The kid is even messing with USC and the media. I think the article is on Rivals. I'm pretty sure my first child's name will be Chris Martin now.

jason_h537
05-20-2009, 03:36 PM
I remember hearing about Chris talking to Anthony Barr about coming to Notre Dame. Does anyone know how well they get along? Just imagine Martin playing DE with Te'o, Zeke, and Barr the starting linebacking core

Bubba
05-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Apparently while filling in the player info card at the camp, he put USC as his favorite school with a smiley face hahaha. The kid is even messing with USC and the media. I think the article is on Rivals. I'm pretty sure my first child's name will be Chris Martin now.

From ESPN.... Utah offers Terrance Mitchell and Isaiah Burse impresses at Stanford Nike camp - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=4178737)

Martin the jokester

One of the most gregarious kids in the Class of 2010 is Chris Martin. He played at Bishop O'Dowd (Oakland, Calif.) his first three years in high school, but is currently finishing off his junior season in Arizona before he transfers to the The Hun School (Princeton, N.J.) next fall.

Martin has always played linebacker, but decided to work out with the defensive linemen at Stanford, and after measuring in at 6-4½, 240 pounds (16 pounds heavier than a year ago), looks the part as well.

At each of the Nike camps the athletes are given player cards to fill out with their personal information, including college favorites and scholarship offers. Under college favorites, Martin wrote "USC" with a big smiley face next to it.

"I was just having fun. I'm 100 percent committed to Notre Dame," Martin said. "I still have people asking me all the time about USC and how solid my commitment to Notre Dame is, and I'm rock-solid.

"I still may camp at USC in the summer because I know I'll learn from the coaches, and I know it will be fun to compete against some of the USC commitments because they're always so cocky, and it would be fun to shut them up a little."

ChollyO
05-20-2009, 04:19 PM
ILB SCOTT McVEY, Cleveland St. Ignatius.....All-Ohio as jr......led St. I. to state Div. 1
title.....started as a l0th. grader.....3.4 GPA; a leader; track stalwart......6' 1" 215, 4.5.....
Tressel offered last Dec......"relentless defender" in mode of ND's Harrison Smith.....
Scott visited ND; Irish coaches , with 5 offers out to LB's, told him to "wait a while".....
Two weeks ago Scott gave verbal to the Buckeyes.....It's not over, I hope.....(He could
come back to haunt ND in future BCS game.

BGIF
05-21-2009, 07:21 AM
ILB SCOTT McVEY, Cleveland St. Ignatius.....All-Ohio as jr......led St. I. to state Div. 1
title.....started as a l0th. grader.....3.4 GPA; a leader; track stalwart......6' 1" 215, 4.5.....
Tressel offered last Dec......"relentless defender" in mode of ND's Harrison Smith.....
Scott visited ND; Irish coaches , with 5 offers out to LB's, told him to "wait a while".....
Two weeks ago Scott gave verbal to the Buckeyes.....It's not over, I hope.....(He could
come back to haunt ND in future BCS game.

Why post this in Chris Martin thread?

If you didn't see an existing thread, you can start a new one in 2010 Recruiting Profiles.

http://www.irishenvy.com/forums/2010-recruiting-profiles/

McVey came to an Irish Junior Day but wasn't offered. ND has put quite a few offers out to talented LBs plus many recruiting gurus forecast RB/ATH Anthony Barr and WR/ATH Justin McCay will both play LB in college. I don't know if ND had McVey too far down on their list or McVey had OSU too high on his. Perhaps McVey didn't like the quantity of young LBs, Te'o, Filer, Fleming, et al, on ND's roster.

Last year I was hoping for Cardinal Mooney's DT John Simon to head to South Bend. He pounced on OSU.

jason_h537
05-21-2009, 10:53 PM
McVey came to an Irish Junior Day but wasn't offered. ND has put quite a few offers out to talented LBs plus many recruiting gurus forecast RB/ATH Anthony Barr and WR/ATH Justin McCay will both play LB in college. I don't know if ND had McVey too far down on their list or McVey had OSU too high on his. Perhaps McVey didn't like the quantity of young LBs, Te'o, Filer, Fleming, et al, on ND's roster.

Anthony Barr will likeley play LB at Notre Dame if he chooses to come here, but McCay is all WR to the Irish

BGIF
05-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Anthony Barr will likeley play LB at Notre Dame if he chooses to come here, but McCay is all WR to the Irish

Could well be, I've read that too.

I also read Ron Powlus would win two Heismans. And I recall how great a RB both Tony Driver and Jeff Burris were forecast to be at ND. Luke Petitigout and Andy Heck were TEs. Zorich was a LB. Stams was a FB, then LB who became an All-American DE. There were quite a few other recruits whose talent, growth, development in college (or lack of it in college), depth, and needs of the team lead them to a different position where some excelled and some didn't.

I recall reading Trattou didn't want to go where he'd might have to put his hand on the ground ...

Regardless both coaches and the prospects looking at future depth have to guess where it will be in a couple of years. The numbers didn't look favorable for McVey at ND. He didn't get an ND offer; he jumped on OSU who did offer.

jason_h537
05-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Could well be, I've read that too.

I also read Ron Powlus would win two Heismans. And I recall how great a RB both Tony Driver and Jeff Burris were forecast to be at ND. Luke Petitigout and Andy Heck were TEs. Zorich was a LB. Stams was a FB, then LB who became an All-American DE. There were quite a few other recruits whose talent, growth, development in college (or lack of it in college), depth, and needs of the team lead them to a different position where some excelled and some didn't.

I recall reading Trattou didn't want to go where he'd might have to put his hand on the ground ...

Regardless both coaches and the prospects looking at future depth have to guess where it will be in a couple of years. The numbers didn't look favorable for McVey at ND. He didn't get an ND offer; he jumped on OSU who did offer.

Notre Dame wants to sign 3 legit WR and the coaches have also said they see a bit of Michael Floyd in this kid too... smartass

BGIF
05-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Notre Dame wants to sign 3 legit WR and the coaches have also said they see a bit of Michael Floyd in this kid too... smartass

Yeah, I've read 3 WRs are an "objective" also. And I like McCay. There are many people who think Cierre Wood will end up at DB rather RB considering ND's shortage of Safeties and abundance of RBs. It could happen. Riddick could end up at CB. Holtz moved Denson for RB to CB and then back to RB where he became ND leading rusher. Mattison consistently lobbied to get Givens moved to OLB. He didn't get moved but it did get serious need based on need and production.

I take the gurus with a grain of salt. They see more than I do but if they were really good at scouting talent they'd be doing it on somebody's staff.

I recall you making a recent comment on Farrell's credibility with ND projections. I recall Mike Frank several years ago stating that he would paint his butt blue at the Blue and Gold game if Kelly Baraka didn't sign with ND. Somebody brought a paint brush and blue paint to the B&G game. Mike weaseled out and he doesn't make those kind of promises today. Then there was the RB ND lock from California that announced on NSD for FSU. I recall Lemming a few years ago touting a DE that reportedly ND wanted to turn into a DT. Lemming castigated the ND coaches for their inability to see the kids true talent. I believe it was Lloyd Carr that told the recruit he could play DE so the kidsigned there - and played DT.

As for the "smartass" tag, feel free to substantiate your allegation. I thought my post was fairly well thoughtout and phrased. But I might be biased. Please point out the errors in my post.

NDinL.A.
05-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Then there was the RB ND lock from California that announced on NSD for FSU.

Lorenzo Booker. Thanks for bringing that up...

BGIF
05-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Lorenzo Booker. Thanks for bringing that up...

Thank you for remembering a name lost in a dormant brain cell. I'd like to think it was intentionally lost but ...

jason_h537
05-23-2009, 02:29 PM
I recall you making a recent comment on Farrell's credibility with ND projections. I recall Mike Frank several years ago stating that he would paint his butt blue at the Blue and Gold game if Kelly Baraka didn't sign with ND. Somebody brought a paint brush and blue paint to the B&G game. Mike weaseled out and he doesn't make those kind of promises today. Then there was the RB ND lock from California that announced on NSD for FSU. I recall Lemming a few years ago touting a DE that reportedly ND wanted to turn into a DT. Lemming castigated the ND coaches for their inability to see the kids true talent. I believe it was Lloyd Carr that told the recruit he could play DE so the kidsigned there - and played DT.

As for the "smartass" tag, feel free to substantiate your allegation. I thought my post was fairly well thoughtout and phrased. But I might be biased. Please point out the errors in my post.

Yeah i try not to use the word "LOCK", in recruiting because you are dealing with teenagers. Especially with all this talk of Cody Riggs i cringe a bit each time the word lock is mentioned, but i do have alot of high hopes for this class. As for the smartass remark, im just fuckin wit ya.

NDinL.A.
05-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Just heard an interview with him with Mike Frank. Some highlights:

1. Transferred to the Hun School on the strong recommendation of Charlie Weis. Took a long time to happen because his mom struggled with him leaving and not being able to see him every day.

2. Respects USC, and said it was down to pretty much ND and USC, but also hates USC because he feels that's what an Irish man is supposed to do. Loves to throw digs at U$C, all in good fun though.

3. Favorite NFL player of all-time is Ray Lewis, because of of the deft way he beat those murder charges. J/k, just seeing if you were still reading. He actually loves his work ethic, his fire and passion, the way he fires up his teammates, and the way he prepares for a game. Should we expect such a fiery leader?

4. Funny, engaging kid. Love him to death already.

5. Recruiting other athletes mostly via Facebook, and some talking. Talks to LB recruit Kendall Moore the most.

6. His dream day would be ND (ranked #1) vs. Mich (#2), and he strips the QB on the last play of the game as he is about to score the game-winning TD, spurring ND to an eventual national championship (Said Zeke recovered the fumble LOL)

7. Is up to a solid 240 pounds (from 215 last year). At the recent Stanford camp, people gave him a lot of props, but he was disappointed in himself because he jumped offsides 3-4 times. It was his first time playing def end, and he says the mental part of it is what he really needs to work on. Admits it was difficult. Also said he won every single one-on-one battle, and that the offsides prob cost him the MVP (said the MVP was a stud who deserved it). Again, humble as can be but also refreshingly honest.

jason_h537
05-23-2009, 08:54 PM
6. His dream day would be ND (ranked #1) vs. Mich (#2), and he strips the QB on the last play of the game as he is about to score the game-winning TD, spurring ND to an eventual national championship (Said Zeke recovered the fumble LOL)

Awesome. Truly believe bothe will be STUDS for the Irish.

Polish Leppy 22
05-24-2009, 09:35 PM
The more I read about this kid the more I like him

BGIF
05-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Just heard an interview with him with Mike Frank. Some highlights:

I'm with him.

I've never understood the attitude of fans wanting their rivals to go 0-12. Where's the glory in Michigan beating an 0-12 OSU? Or Alabama beating an 0-12 Auburn. Hell, that record would mean everybody beat them that year be it Toledo or Vanderbilt.

I'd prefer all our opponents finished 12-1 with their sole defeat to the Irish on a FG made or blocked, or a TD made or batted away at the gun. How sweet to be able to console your Wolverweasel or Trojan co-workers iwth, "Wow you guys finished #2 in the Final Poll, great season. If only Blanton hadn't blocked your FG on that final play, you guys would have been undefeated and had another National Championship. Damn, what a shame. It was a great game, wasn't it."

The Bush Push still stings me a lot more than a 30 something shutout in a horrible year.

IrishInFl
05-24-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm with him.

I've never understood the attitude of fans wanting their rivals to go 0-12. Where's the glory in Michigan beating an 0-12 OSU? Or Alabama beating an 0-12 Auburn. Hell, that record would mean everybody beat them that year be it Toledo or Vanderbilt.

I'd prefer all our opponents finished 12-1 with their sole defeat to the Irish on a FG made or blocked, or a TD made or batted away at the gun. How sweet to be able to console your Wolverweasel or Trojan co-workers iwth, "Wow you guys finished #2 in the Final Poll, great season. If only Blanton hadn't blocked your FG on that final play, you guys would have been undefeated and had another National Championship. Damn, what a shame. It was a great game, wasn't it."

The Bush Push still stings me a lot more than a 30 something shutout in a horrible year.

Coincidently, that was about the time I became a ND fan.

fitz_bu47
05-26-2009, 01:04 AM
The Bush-Push is one of my least favorite events in history.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
05-26-2009, 03:42 PM
I really wish we could take a mod-instituted vote where we could try to issue a rule saying the Bush-Push shall never ever be mentioned again on this site. EVER! God I hate USC

IHateMarkMay
05-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I really wish we could take a mod-instituted vote where we could try to issue a rule saying the Bush-Push shall never ever be mentioned again on this site. EVER! God I hate USC

Alright lets see what we can come up with.... Bush = Shrub or Pussy... I'll take the latter... and Push.. hmmm how about thrust.... so Bush Push is now Pussy Thrust???

IrishAddiction
05-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Alright lets see what we can come up with.... Bush = Shrub or Pussy... I'll take the latter... and Push.. hmmm how about thrust.... so Bush Push is now Pussy Thrust???

Ha i like it. And it totally makes sense he was thrusting Matt Leinhart over the pile. So yea, pussy thrust it is.

WabashFalcon
05-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Pussy Thrust... that MAY be copyrighted.... I need to check my.. .err... my friends' extensive library of... of... male-female relationship "advice" videos...

yeah... they'll buy that... they'll but that...

NDinL.A.
07-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Played in the Gridiron Kings 7 on 7 Tourney on the same team w/ Chris Badger and Josh Shaw. Played out of position at LB and TE, and still tore it up. He was all over the field and made several nice catches as well. Biggins of ESPN said that he was a bit off at times b/c of the LB position, but that he's obviously a DE and has the potential to be a stud at the next level at DE. He and Badger got along great, and Badger told ISD that Martin had his back all weekend, even when Badger got food poisoning and and was vomiting outside the bus. Martin was also recruiting Shaw to ND all weekend as well...

Dacian_Irish
07-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Martin is a stud... I love to here that he is recruiting for us.

texas fighting irish
07-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Thats great that martin is recruiting for the irish. Who else is he recruiting besides shaw.

NDinL.A.
07-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Thats great that martin is recruiting for the irish. Who else is he recruiting besides shaw.

According to Steve Wiltfong, he and Badger had ND recruits up in his hotel room so that he could call Coach Brown and Coach Brown would talk to the recruits. They had guys like Shaw, Anthony Jefferson from Los Angeles (no offer yet; I think they're waiting on his SAT), Justin McCay, and Dietrich Riley all talking to Coach Brown. They had the biggest impact on Riley, who told Wiltfong that ND moved up very high on his list, and that he can't wait for his OV to the U$C game. Martin's our most important recruit by a mile, b/c of his talent, his position, his attitude, and his recruiting efforts...

Dacian_Irish
07-27-2009, 06:49 PM
I definitely agree he is our most important recruit also. It sounds like he is one of our best recruiters also..

WabashFalcon
07-27-2009, 06:50 PM
According to Steve Wiltfong, he and Badger had ND recruits up in his hotel room so that he could call Coach Brown and Coach Brown would talk to the recruits. They had guys like Shaw, Anthony Jefferson from Los Angeles (no offer yet; I think they're waiting on his SAT), Justin McCay, and Dietrich Riley all talking to Coach Brown. They had the biggest impact on Riley, who told Wiltfong that ND moved up very high on his list, and that he can't wait for his OV to the U$C game. Martin's our most important recruit by a mile, b/c of his talent, his position, his attitude, and his recruiting efforts...

Again... you give me a stiffy.

NDinNM
07-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Martin makes me like him more everyday. By Signing day I bet he will have influenced many recruits

DirtySecret
07-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Again... you give me a stiffy.

2inches of stiffness is nothing I would be announcing out to everyone on this board.. :)

WabashFalcon
07-27-2009, 10:19 PM
2inches of stiffness is nothing I would be announcing out to everyone on this board.. :)

Double that... and now we're talking...

jason_h537
07-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Nicepost NDinLA i was gonna post a Gridiron Kings thread but decided not to. Said Martin showed up great as a TE and got to show offhis speed and athleticism. Kyle Prater was also there.

jason_h537
07-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Where did you read that about RIley? Kid is awesome and would love to get him in the Blue and Gold.

texas fighting irish
07-29-2009, 08:12 PM
The more i hear what Martin is doing for us the more i like this kid i just got out bidded on an autograph signed helmet of his. He signed with us so he could play with Te"o am i right on that.

WabashFalcon
07-29-2009, 08:24 PM
The more i hear what Martin is doing for us the more i like this kid i just got out bidded on an autograph signed helmet of his. He signed with us so he could play with Te"o am i right on that.

Yup.

texas fighting irish
07-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Te'o making such an impact without even playing a down for us now with martin turning to a great recruiter for us

wicket
07-31-2009, 06:15 PM

nope,the momentum just made him commit that early he was gonna be irish either way

texas fighting irish
08-01-2009, 05:58 AM
Just glad we won them from u$c and now they are irish.

The Polish Irishman
08-05-2009, 03:23 PM
lets line Tom up so i can show him some pass rushing skills mix wit some speed and a lil hip flip on the side and then i'll FLEX! :-D...

C-Mart's response on the ESPN 150

NDinL.A.
08-05-2009, 04:04 PM
lets line Tom up so i can show him some pass rushing skills mix wit some speed and a lil hip flip on the side and then i'll FLEX! :-D...

C-Mart's response on the ESPN 150

This is what Tom LuginBitch had to say about CM.

Why is Chris Martin ranked so low, is it because he never played at DE or do you just think he is overrated on other rankings? Thanks.
Charles (Québec City, Canada)

A lot of feedback on Martin. We do feel he will be a defensive end in college and that's a big adjustment in our eyes. We do not see the speed, hips or flexibility to play OLB.

He is still in our 150 so we think he's a good player and like his physical measureables but felt he lacked the reactive burst, bend and potential pass rushing skills that the defensive ends ahead of him currently have.

Remember, everyone disagreed with where we ranked lineman like William Campbell and Jamarkus McFarland initially over the last few years and that it seemed like the rest of the recruiting networks agreed with our assessment in the end.
Tom Luginbill

I call him Tom LuginBitch now because he is ESPN's bitch. I actually like the guy and I do think he's good at what he does, but he has bowed down to ESPN's pressure of putting guys who joined the UA game and guys who play in the south or will play in the SEC ahead of better players. No way in the world that there are 143 better players out there than C-Mart. Same can be said for Justin McCay. Complete joke, complete sham...

DirtySecret
08-05-2009, 06:59 PM
This is what Tom LuginBitch had to say about CM.

I call him Tom LuginBitch now because he is ESPN's bitch. I actually like the guy and I do think he's good at what he does, but he has bowed down to ESPN's pressure of putting guys who joined the UA game and guys who play in the south or will play in the SEC ahead of better players. No way in the world that there are 143 better players out there than C-Mart. Same can be said for Justin McCay. Complete joke, complete sham...

Didn't LunginBitch dog Jimmy when he was being recruited? I would love to know who he thought was the #1 QB of that class..

IHateMarkMay
08-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Didn't LunginBitch dog Jimmy when he was being recruited? I would love to know who he thought was the #1 QB of that class..

He probably thought Mallet was the higher rated of the two.

IrishInFl
08-05-2009, 11:58 PM
I'm confused. Who agreed with the assessment Luginbitch made about Campbell and McFarland?

jason_h537
08-06-2009, 12:19 AM
He had Jinmmy as the #1 QB but around 12 i think overall.

The Polish Irishman
08-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Grandview star transfer must wait for football eligibility
Notre Dame-bound Chris Martin of Grandview has a football eligibility issue that could be resolved soon.
By Neil H. Devlin
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/26/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 08/26/2009 01:09:36 AM MDT

AURORA — Chris Martin, the nation's top senior schoolboy defensive end and a Notre Dame pledge, may find out as early as today if he is eligible to play at Class 5A Grandview.

The 6-foot-4, 240-pounder is enrolled at Grandview and participated in summer camps but has not been cleared by the Colorado High School Activities Association to practice with the Wolves of the Centennial League.

Grandview athletic director Jon Hoerl confirmed Martin is in school but said the eligibility issue is "a CHSAA matter." Assistant commissioner Harry Waterman said "a decision has not been made," but that Hoerl will meet today with CHSAA to determine Martin's eligibility. Commissioner Bill Reader, Waterman said, "may or may not decide (today)."

It is not known which part of Martin's eligibility is in question. He attended Bishop O'Dowd High School in Oakland, Calif., then announced he was transferring to The Hun School, a prestigious boarding school in Princeton, N.J., to pursue a better education.

Originally, reports had Martin heading east so he could enroll early at Notre Dame, but then he said he wouldn't enroll early. Martin is living with a family member near Grandview.

Martin's speed and size would have an immediate impact on the Wolves, who may have had the best defense in Class 5A the past two years. The Wolves enter Week 1 with only one returning starter on each side of the ball.

Martin committed to Notre Dame on Feb. 4. He had scholarship offers from numerous schools, including Colorado, Georgia, LSU, Nebraska, Oregon, Stanford, Southern California and UCLA.

Neil H. Devlin: 303-954-1714 or ndevlin@denverpost.com

The Polish Irishman
08-27-2009, 09:04 AM
According to C-Mart, he will might miss the first 5 games of this season.

IHateMarkMay
08-27-2009, 09:50 AM
He will or he might?

The Polish Irishman
09-07-2009, 11:58 PM
17 tackles, 9 for loss, 2 sacks, and ran a TD...not a bad night

jason_h537
09-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Daaaaaaammmmmmmnnnnn

Kid keeps playing like that he might break the ESPN 150

sportallyr
09-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Glad to hear he's tearing it up. I thought he wasn't supposed to be playing yet?

The Polish Irishman
09-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Glad to hear he's tearing it up. I thought he wasn't supposed to be playing yet?

Everything got cleared up. Someone said they tried to recruit him, but really he just moved in with his cousin.

The Polish Irishman
09-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Someone just peed in my cheerios

WeAreSC.com - A Familiar Voice (http://wearesc.com/news/story.php?article=2398)

notredomer23
09-16-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm not worried.

NDinL.A.
09-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Same old, same old. Nothing new here. Just gotta win.

If not, he is as good as gone. I'm ignoring him until February...

Polish Leppy 22
09-16-2009, 01:02 PM
One month away from Mama Martin and this is what we have to deal with.

Wait til he goes home again. He's in for a whoopin.

In all seriousness, NDinLA nailed it. We win, he's here. We suck, he's gone.

It'd be icing on the cake if SC came all the way to South Bend to get smoked