PDA

View Full Version : '10 IL WR/S Corey Cooper (Nebraska Commit)

SoCalDomer
07-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Maywood, Illinois
Proviso East

HT: 6-2
WT: 203
40: 4.5
GPA: 3.8
Test: 19

STATS:
'07: 35 Rec, 4 TD
'08: 80Tackles

RANKING
Rivals: :s::s::s::s:, Safety (14), Rating 5.8
Scout: :s::s::s::s:, Safety (15)
ESPN: :s::s::s:, Safety (19), Grade 79

OFFERS:
Illinois (Soft Verbal 04/22/2008; OV 12/11)
Arizona (OV 11/20)
FSU (OV 1/22/10 NO OFFER)
Nebraska (11/06)
Notre Dame (OV 10/16)
Michigan St

Minnesota
Missouri
Northwestern
Stanford
Tennessee

ND Recruiter: Martin

Decision: NSD 2/3/10

SoCalDomer
07-07-2008, 12:41 PM
With over two years to go before he would step on a college campus, Corey already verballed to Illinois this past spring. He also stated that he intends to take official visits, so take that verbal for what it's worth.

Today he received news that come Sept 1, ND intends to extend a written offer.

irishmarine
07-07-2008, 12:42 PM
good. if hes that talented get em out there.

SoCalDomer
09-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Though he's a current verbal to Illinois, Corey received a written offer from ND this week. He says he plans on visiting the ND campus soon.

NDinL.A.
01-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Corey Cooper

Safety, WR
Maywood (IL) Proviso East

Height: 6 foot-2
Weight: 190 lbs.

Combine
Forty: 4.5 per Rivals; 4.4 per Scout
Bench Reps:
Bench Max:
Squat Max:
Shuttle:
Vertical: 34 inches
GPA:

Star Ratings
Rivals.com:
Scout.com:

Schools of Interest
Illinois (verbal)
Notre Dame (offer)
Purdue (offer)
Northwestern (offer)
LSU
Ohio State
Wisconsin
Colorado

NDinL.A.
01-27-2009, 06:20 PM
He is an Illinois (soft) verbal, but he is not a solid one at all. He is still looking around, and people are still recruiting him. He was supposed to visit ND for junior day last weekend, but he couldn't make the trip. However, this quote says a lot (per rivals):

"I was considering committing on the trip," Cooper said.

He says that Weis went to his school last week, and that he has a close relationship with Ianello. The Irish are at the top of his list, but he's also visiting IL and Ohio State as well as ND.

He's a safety and a WR, but ND is recruiting him as a WR, although he can play either side of the ball (and it's early in the process)...

Irishlew
01-27-2009, 06:20 PM
lol...he answered my question at the same time i was asking it

NDinL.A.
01-27-2009, 06:22 PM
why is this thread relevant?

Sorry, I had to post the original thread with all those dang numbers before I could post the 2nd post regarding the relevancy of the thread...

Irishlew
01-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Sorry, I had to post the original thread with all those dang numbers before I could post the 2nd post regarding the relevancy of the thread...

lol...i hear ya, i had no idea about the 2nd post till i hit the reply button.

mat33
01-27-2009, 07:29 PM
If this current recruiting cycle has taught me anything is that guys that change their commitment will not be solid until they sign. So if he does change his commitment to us, I will only belive next February, this is not meant to be a slight at the kid, but rather the mind of a 17 year old can be easily swayed in 12 months especially if it has already happened once.

WabashFalcon
01-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Hey... Notre Dame just got the #1 recruiting class in the country... in my NCAA09 for XBox 360!

IHateMarkMay
01-27-2009, 07:45 PM
I've noticed that of all the teams in the nation, Illinois always has early soft verbals who always look elsewhere.

Irishlew
02-18-2009, 05:32 PM
from what I've been reading lately were in good shape to steal this kid from Illinois. Like NDinLA said this kid could play WR or Safety at the next level.

wicket
02-18-2009, 05:34 PM
lets get him, i want some more momentum

irishmarine
02-18-2009, 07:05 PM
and we will need it at saftey

jason_h537
05-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Offered by Stanford last week. Can anyone explain why we are always competing against Stanford? i cant wait for the season to start so when the Irish come out to Palo Alto and beat the Cardinals AGAIN. We can dead all this talk.

Side note: Saw two threads on Cooper is it possible to combine the two?

BGIF
06-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Offered by Stanford last week. Can anyone explain why we are always competing against Stanford? i cant wait for the season to start so when the Irish come out to Palo Alto and beat the Cardinals AGAIN. We can dead all this talk.

Academics for those serious about it. And they've got milder winters and more women.

And Harbaugh has over 200 offers out. That makes it hard to find too many recruits that qualify for ND but don't for SU.

BGIF
06-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Blue chips, friendship, scholarships :: FOOTBALL :: YourSeason (http://yourseason.suntimes.com/football/1600319,053009-football-recruiting-prater-cooper-illinois.article)
May 30, 2009 BY TAYLOR BELL

Kyle Prater and Corey Cooper are best friends. They live in Maywood about two minutes from each other. While Cooper attends Proviso East, Prater's mother opted to send her son to Proviso West. But they see each other every day, hang out at the mall on weekends and work out every Sunday. They also are two of the top five football prospects in the Chicago area in the Class of 2010. They talk frequently about going to the same college together, and Cooper, who committed to Illinois as a sophomore, is hoping to persuade Prater to be his roommate in Champaign.
"If I make a final decision to go to Illinois, I think he'll come with me," Cooper said. "It's hard to leave an in-state school. There are a lot of positives involved. The school is doing well, the program is rebuilding, the coaching is good and his family will have a chance to see him play."
The 6-2, 202 FS is taking a cautious but certain route to the Illinois campus. After making his early commitment, his father advised him to visit other schools to weigh all of his options, just in case there was a coaching change or something else unforeseen. Cooper has 17 offers, including ND UTN UAZ and BC. But he insists he'll enroll at Illinois for the 2010-11 school year, that he won't waver from his earlier commitment. And he thinks he'll persuade Prater to join him. "Schools that keep the best in-state players at home, like Florida and Georgia and Texas, are dominant programs," Cooper said. "They have good teams every year. Illinois has the same opportunity if they keep the best in-state players in the state. My goal is to persuade Kyle to go to Illinois with me." Meanwhile, Prater has more than 30 offers. He likes Illinois -- his HS coach, Famous Hulbert, played there -- but he admits he likely won't commit until January or February, and national powers USC and OU definitely are included among his five finalists. ...

Cooper and Prater are considering going to ILL, ND, or UTN together.

OCIrish
06-01-2009, 04:39 PM
I would imagine that if they don't go to Ill, they'll end up at ND, hopefully soo anyway.

jason_h537
06-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Academics for those serious about it. And they've got milder winters and more women.

And Harbaugh has over 200 offers out. That makes it hard to find too many recruits that qualify for ND but don't for SU.

Yeah but im not talking about recruiting the same players. I am talking about having to recruit head to head against these guys as often as we do. I get USC, Florida, Mishigan, OSU, but Stanford?

BGIF
06-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Yeah but im not talking about recruiting the same players. I am talking about having to recruit head to head against these guys as often as we do. I get USC, Florida, Mishigan, OSU, but Stanford?

Again SU and ND target the same academic pool and Harbaugh is flooding the market with offers. I don't understand how he can find that many blue chips that can get in SU?

NDinL.A.
06-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Yeah but im not talking about recruiting the same players. I am talking about having to recruit head to head against these guys as often as we do. I get USC, Florida, Michigan, OSU, but Stanford?

It's because the guy, regardless of how you feel about him (and most ND fans can't stand him), has 2 good qualities that stand out for me:

1. He recruits his ass off. Yeah, he sends out tons of offers, but he lands some guys that we covet to a place that fills half the seats and that has basically zero football tradition in comparison to ND. He loses most battles, but the fact that he wins even a couple from ND, USC and UCLA is a huge victory for that school.

2. He's a helluva coach. His record doesn't necessarily reflect that, but look at the mess he inherited. His teams are so much tougher than ND's the last couple years. We TALK about smash mouth football, but they ARE about smash mouth football. They run the ball the way I wish we did, with athletes that aren't as good as ours. Say what you will about him as a person, but you can't convince me otherwise about his coaching and recruiting...

GOLDENISTHYTATE
06-02-2009, 04:18 PM
I really don't like any of the Harbaughs. For some reason, and I in no way say I am justified in feeling this way, feel that they are some shady, shady men.

BGIF
06-03-2009, 02:45 AM
I don't know if the "shadieness " is warranted or not but like NDinLA the SOB is aggressive. I like what he said about Michigan's educational policy with athletes, also. And I think he's done well as far at a place where even the brillance of Bill Walsh could only pull off one 10 win season and a part of a Conference Championship. Stanford's only had three 10 win seasons in its history. Pop Warner coached one of the other 10 win seasons. Tough place to win.

jason_h537
10-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Said he had a great visit and that Notre Dame is right there with Illinois right now. Plans to visit Illinois on Nov. 7 and will decide right after

irishfan
10-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Said he had a great visit and that Notre Dame is right there with Illinois right now. Plans to visit Illinois on Nov. 7 and will decide right after

just checked their schedule out of curiousity and their at Minnesota that day...must have been a misprint or something

jason_h537
10-18-2009, 03:39 PM
sorry mixed it up with the Jones article. Just said he is going to take another visit ti Illinois before deciding

Polish Leppy 22
10-18-2009, 04:19 PM
I'd love to talk to Corey and ask him what's luring him to Illinois aside from location.

Unless he knows and likes the coach who will replace Zook when he gets fired, I'm confused

phork
10-18-2009, 04:54 PM
I have to agree. Zook's time is all but up and he should be toast by years end. Even if its not... Illinois?

IrishInFl
10-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Now calm down guys. Illinois is a very beutiful corn field. Who wouldn't want to play there?

JefMaj
10-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Does Illinois graduate it's kids? USC's grad rate is 54% compared to ND's 94%. At least last time I ran an internet search on College Football Graduation Rates.

Imagine some of these studs all lined up to get open for Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!! And, we've all heard that Crist is just a step in reloading. Hendryx - under Weis tutalege - these QBs will come out with passing stats as long as they have WRs to connect with.

Example: One goes down and Robby Parris steps up. CW gives them a chance to shine.

Rizzophil
10-18-2009, 06:30 PM
I wonder if we take him as a safety now or a fourth wr...

NDinL.A.
10-18-2009, 07:02 PM
I wonder if we take him as a safety now or a fourth wr...

The staff told him they'll play him wherever they think he'll help them the most and play the earliest. He favors defense...

Rizzophil
10-18-2009, 08:37 PM
The staff told him they'll play him wherever they think he'll help them the most and play the earliest. He favors defense...

Thanks LA

OCIrish
10-18-2009, 10:02 PM

Yeah, I look at him as a safety, but who knows, he'll play where he can see the most time.

BGIF
10-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Recruiting Thoughts Written by Brian Smith 20 October 2009
Recruiting Thoughts (http://irishsportsdaily.com/blogs/smittys-blog/1098-recruiting-thoughts)

Corey Cooper the Chicago prep star is looking strongly at Notre Dame. Its likely that the Irish are currently the team to beat. Illinois sitting with zero BCS victories in the middle of October is obviously helping Notre Dames chances.

NDinNM
10-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Illinois loses again... I think that it is just a matter of time before Cooper switches

BGIF
10-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Illinois loses again... I think that it is just a matter of time before Cooper switches

Will there still be open slots?

NDinNM
10-24-2009, 04:02 PM

Thats a good question, I think there is room if we take his as a safety. We can use all the secondary help we can get

phork
10-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Illinois AD has stated that Zook will be back again next year.

jason_h537
10-24-2009, 10:59 PM
I guess thats good for recruiting but this team has quit on Zook and that is never a good sign for the future of a program

NDinL.A.
10-25-2009, 12:02 AM
Illinois AD has stated that Zook will be back again next year.

Yay!!!!!!!

But I doubt it. That team is losssssssttttt...

Domer4ever
10-25-2009, 12:27 AM
I wonder how Arelious Benn is feeling now about his decision to go with the Illini over the Irish? I hope Cooper is taking note.

Polish Leppy 22
10-25-2009, 02:06 AM
Arrelious Benn...sooo much more of a sore subject than Trattou and Hunter because Benn is playing on an awful team that could have made a good team better.

He's a kid. Kids make mistakes. Imagine that WR core with Tate, Floyd, and Benn.

irish4ever
10-25-2009, 02:32 AM
Yeah, Benn screwed himself making the decision on going to the Illini. Oh well, he has to live with it, not us!

phork
10-25-2009, 08:44 AM
You can't really fault the kid. Illinois was headed up until something launched a ground to air stinger and destroyed the Illini rocket. Frankly, other than immediate play time, I don't know why you go to another school over ND. Meh.. Like I said, a lot of these kids are looking for a short cut to the NFL.

daytonirish
10-25-2009, 01:14 PM

I think we could see him flip after his visit to Ill, which I think is this coming weekend.

NDisme
10-25-2009, 02:15 PM
In my eyes the benn thing was the same as in college basketball. Like usc and kansas st. hiring o.j. and beasleys aau coaches, to get them to come. Illinois got some kids that year from the dc area and one of benns coaches was involved, he might be on the illini staff. Its an easy qyestion to ask yourself if your a kid. Would i rather have the top prospect throwing me the ball each year who is made to throw perfect balls, or juice williams.

Big23Head
10-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Visit to Illinois this weekend is postponed, so we may not know for a while longer.

WabashFalcon
10-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Visit to Illinois this weekend is postponed, so we may not know for a while longer.

Good thing that he doesn't want to go to Illinois?

Big23Head
10-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Could be good, could be "annoying" in the sense we have to wait longer. No idea, the feel on the Illini boards I have seen is that he will commit to the Irish but they are in the dumps about everything this season.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
10-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah this red flag either signifies he is dropping his visit and committing to us or that he needs to reevaluate things a little longer.

Irish.Ca
10-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Gut feeling, he's ours. And bringing Prater too.

jason_h537
10-30-2009, 01:58 AM
Welcome Irish.Ca

I also fel Cooper flips but i am not sold on Prater

WhoDeyIrish
10-30-2009, 02:50 AM
Welcome Irish.Ca

I also fel Cooper flips but i am not sold on Prater

I think the same thing I think Cooper is going to be Irish. I think Prater will if we do a few things to impress him...BCS Bowl cough cough.

Big23Head
10-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Cooper's coach expects him to end up at Illinois since they announced Zook will return. Guess its a wait and see, he really makes it seem like it's Illinois no doubt all the way.

He still has yet to set up a date with Tennessee for an official visit, but plans to visit Nebraska on November 7th and Arizona on November 27th.

Me and linking has not worked lately so,

Here is the site: Guenther's words impress Proviso East coach - Illinois Fighting Illini Sports Football News - IlliniHQ.com (http://www.illinihq.com/news/football/2009/10/29/guenthers_words_impress_proviso_east_coach)

IHateMarkMay
10-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Interesting how he said:

Hell do his visits, and hell end up going to Illinois, Peppers said. Its a win-win.

I doubt if he is soooooo committed to Illinois that he is going to take his visits. I mean, if I were committed to a school I would take all of my visits elsewhere too, just to show how committed I am.... (all of that was dripping with sarcasm). I just think the coach is trying to put pressure in Cooper to stay home cause that is what he wants him to do.

Irish.Ca
10-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Sounds like the coach expects some free tickets to the games but doesn't want to travel too far to use them. Is the coach an alum of theirs?

Polish Leppy 22
10-30-2009, 09:32 AM
bingo

GOLDENISTHYTATE
10-30-2009, 03:15 PM
bingo

do you know that he is an alum or just saying you think that's the case?

BearGB
10-30-2009, 03:37 PM
The article doesn't say directly, but I get the feeling that the coach, Aaron Peppers, didn't go to a four-year college based on this article. He's both a police officer and a head football coach. He may be an Illini fan, but it's a pretty interesting article nonetheless. Sounds like a good guy.

Maywood police officer also serves as Proviso East football coach - Chicago Tribune (http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/sep/07/sports/chi-04-proviso-cops-coaches-sep07)

I was reading another article about Proviso East as well, this may have been mentioned before, and Coach Peppers said that while Prater is very, very impressive, the hard thing for Cooper is he is playing almost every down. Prater is only going one way, while Cooper is playing O, D, and returns both punts and kicks. The coach said he feels bad not allowing him rest, but with a team that has only one win thus far, he doesn't have much of a choice.

The more I read about this guy, the more excited I am about him really a great prospect and a good kid.

irish73102
10-30-2009, 08:26 PM
their coach is full of shit hes irish and he knows it

NoJusticeNoPeace
10-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Why would anyone go to Illinois right now, especially when they could go to Notre Dame? Cooper is Irish. He's gonna be a safety and he's gonna be damn good too.

Irishlew
10-31-2009, 06:12 AM
Why would anyone go to Illinois right now, especially when they could go to Notre Dame? Cooper is Irish. He's gonna be a safety and he's gonna be damn good too.

ND wants him at WR.

tko
10-31-2009, 07:43 AM
ND wants him at WR.

play him both ways, LOL!

WabashFalcon
10-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Coaches have said they will play Cooper wherever he has a chance to get on the field... and Cooper has said that he wants to play on the defensive side of the football.

bert2834
10-31-2009, 12:00 PM
I wish this kid would commit to us already, so the rest of the dominoes will fall into place.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
10-31-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm with you Bert. Go Irish!

JefMaj
10-31-2009, 06:55 PM
It would just break my heart to see this kid get shut out in the numbers game. Somebody is going to.

jason_h537
10-31-2009, 11:15 PM
I really doubt they would turn away Cooper. Versitile athelete that can help on both sides of the ball

IrishAddiction
11-01-2009, 07:20 PM
I wish we knew, like we did in the 08 class, who was getting spots saved for them. I remember Forston, Sabino, Floyd, and Filer all had spots saved for them if they would want to commit late b/c the staff had told them so.

It would just be nice to know, but at the same time, i suppose news getting out like that could slight other players who do not have spots saved for them. I just wonder if cooper is one of those guys.

I would certainly think Joyner, Henderson, and prater would all have spots saved if they wanted to come in late.....

irish73102
11-01-2009, 08:09 PM
i just chatted with cooper on face book n told him i hope he comes to notre dame next year to kick ass in the blue and gold he said"hopefully" i believe he is ours boys n girls 7:04pmLevi
whats up corey just wanted to let u know u r a badass

7:04pmCorey
thanks

7:05pmLevi
hope u come to nd so u can kick ass n the blue n gold

7:05pmCorey
hopefully

phork
11-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Or he is brushing you off like the 10s of thousands of roaches that pester him daily.

irish73102
11-01-2009, 08:56 PM
why be so negative phork?

NoJusticeNoPeace
11-01-2009, 09:01 PM
I don't see how he would take Illinois under Zook over Notre Dame. He is going to be ours, people.

Polish Leppy 22
11-01-2009, 09:09 PM
i just chatted with cooper on face book n told him i hope he comes to notre dame next year to kick ass in the blue and gold he said"hopefully" i believe he is ours boys n girls 7:04pmLevi
whats up corey just wanted to let u know u r a badass

7:04pmCorey
thanks

7:05pmLevi
hope u come to nd so u can kick ass n the blue n gold

7:05pmCorey
hopefully

This whole gig of talking with recruits on facebook has been discussed quite often in recent months. Domer Domain and Blue and Gold both published articles on it. We talk about it here.

I know you just joined in August, and I don't know your age, but please be cautious with this. Contacting recuits can be very damaging. Put yourself in the high school senior's shoes. If you had people you didn't know talking to you online about going to their favorite school, you'd think it's pretty friggin creepy and you'd probably tell them whatever they wanted to hear so they would stop bugging you.

Also, if an ND alum were to initiate that conversation with a recruit it is an NCAA violation. Bottom line is this communication can have more negative impacts than positive.

irish73102
11-01-2009, 09:12 PM
will take that into account thanks im not a notre dame alum i will be careful about what i say

jason_h537
11-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Or he is brushing you off like the 10s of thousands of roaches that pester him daily.

lol that was pretty funny

irish73102
11-01-2009, 09:25 PM
who says i am a roach?

WabashFalcon
11-01-2009, 09:34 PM
who says i am a roach?

NDOM? Who knows a thing or two about roaches?

dyrtdogg
11-01-2009, 09:49 PM

Thanks phork, that was funny.

Domer4ever
11-01-2009, 10:18 PM
YouTube - #6 Corey Cooper - Proviso East (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlf3ezhKed8)

Here is a Cooper highlight reel. Looks like a kid that is not going to shy away from contact (hello Harrison Smith).

BCSorBust
11-02-2009, 10:19 AM
I actually just chatted with a friend who is a rival coach of Cooper's and who played on the 88 championship team at ND. He said that he was very surprised at the hype that was surrounding Cooper, but he wasn't sure if he didn't look as good as advertised in multiple viewings because of the team around him or his actual talent level. He thought he would possibly make a much better S than WR, and that either way he was going to need to be coached up for a couple years.

No groundbreaking info but I thought it was interesting because my buddy obviously knows football and he knows the player well too.

kjk184
11-02-2009, 07:19 PM
has anyone read the "Chance Report" on ISD? It's a premium article but the heading is as follows:

Anything groundbreaking here for Cooper or other recruits?

kjk184
11-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the info. Nothing new as expected but still enjoy the read

Brown
11-02-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm only worried about him sticking with his Illinois commitment -- Arizona, Tennessee, etc. don't provide much competition for him.

I think his location plays a significant role in his decision and we're closest after Illinois. Same with Prater.

t3hjc
11-03-2009, 08:54 PM
I have a strong hunch Cooper flips soon.

aaronb
11-03-2009, 09:52 PM
I have a strong hunch Cooper flips soon.

So do I. His quotes from Espn say as much.

Three-star safety Corey Cooper (Maywood, Ill./Proviso East), an Illinois verbal, has a new favorite after making an official visit to South Bend, Ind., ESPN affiliate Web site IrishSportsDaily.com reports.

"It's looking real good for (Notre Dame)," Cooper said. "I may decide sooner than later. I want to visit (Illinois) again before I make a final decision."

phork
11-03-2009, 09:56 PM
why be so negative phork?

Do you even know how many clowns we get on here claiming to know someone, or have a "source" or is some guy's uncles fathers 2nd cousin?

irish73102
11-03-2009, 10:11 PM
really phork i never said i had a "source"

Rizzophil
11-03-2009, 10:14 PM
I believe the official to IL is in late December. He won't flip soon IF he wants to take his official first...just stating the obvious.

IHateMarkMay
11-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Do you even know how many clowns we get on here claiming to know someone, or have a "source" or is some guy's uncles fathers 2nd cousin?

Don't be giving away my source Phork!! Dang it, now everybody knows who he is!!! haha

texas fighting irish
11-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Are we recruiting Copper as a WR or S? Hope he does flip real soon.

tko
11-04-2009, 01:22 PM

who is Copper?

http://www.freewebs.com/thedisneyclassics/fox_and_hound_2_02.jpg

texas fighting irish
11-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Cooper!

tko
11-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Cooper!

just having fun Tex. Neutered likes fluffy little dogs.

aaronb
11-05-2009, 04:57 PM

Surely a Free Safety

Depth chart is woefully thin there. WR is absolutely loaded;

NDisme
11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
don;t call me surely!

WabashFalcon
11-05-2009, 05:44 PM
don;t call me surely!

Shirley. Don't call me Shirley.

Big23Head
11-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Well after all the crap going on now, I like to see that Corey is hoping to come back to ND before deciding. It was a headline I caught earlier browsing some sites.

IrishAddiction
11-14-2009, 03:09 PM
That is nice to hear BigHead. Good to see them get on campus and come back because they liked it that much.

jason_h537
11-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Corey is planning to be at the UConn game with his buddy kyle

The Polish Irishman
11-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Cooper will not be at the game this weekend. He has an official set to Arizona.

IrishAddiction
11-15-2009, 04:58 PM
what what what????? that blows if its true. You Sure its not a scout misprint or something b/c they are pretty damn retarded....

Big23Head
11-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Cooper's visit to Arizona is the 27-28th, not this weekend. He should be at ND this weekend with Prater. I hope they both come.

The Polish Irishman
11-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Cooper's visit to Arizona is the 27-28th, not this weekend. He should be at ND this weekend with Prater. I hope they both come.

U sure. According to Irish Sports Daily who spoke with Cooper yesterday, he is not coming this weekend.

Big23Head
11-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I was going off of Scout's Cooper page. I trust ISD more and didn't see that. That would suck.

Big23Head
11-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Yeah Cooper will be at Arizona this weekend which is too bad because Prater will be at ND. It would be nice to get them in together. Cooper is saying that his commitment to Illinois is only 50% because he was caught up in the moment when he did it. Hopefully we end up with him.

IrishAddiction
11-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Still got a shot. He has been here, that should be enough to let him get that feeling.

Big23Head
11-20-2009, 09:26 AM
My honest opinion is that this weekend will tell a lot. If we play well, Prater enjoys himself then I think that will have a huge effect on Cooper. For Cooper and Prater it will come down to Weis though, bottom line. Cooper has said that. I personally think that if Weis is retained we get both of them, esp. if Clausen returns as well.

irish4ever
11-20-2009, 09:46 AM
My honest opinion is that this weekend will tell a lot. If we play well, Prater enjoys himself then I think that will have a huge effect on Cooper. For Cooper and Prater it will come down to Weis though, bottom line. Cooper has said that. I personally think that if Weis is retained we get both of them, esp. if Clausen returns as well.

I really doubt that Clausen will be back next year, regardless what the decision will be concerning Charlile's coaching status. Then again, I'm not certain that having Clausen back for his Sr. year will be have that much of an impact on Cooper or Prater's decision. They'll be freshman and at most they'll probably get limited time playing with Clausen, being that it's his last year regardless. If Clausen had more than 1 yr. left, then I could see this being more of an impact.

BGIF
11-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Cooper will make an OV to Illinois 12/11.

Big23Head
12-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Cooper is looking into visiting UT or USC soon as well...not good we need a HC and to move quick on this recruiting.

ESPN - Conversations: Cooper, Gaston waiting on Irish coaching change (http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/4727169)

fortwayne_nd
12-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Cooper is looking into visiting UT or USC soon as well...not good we need a HC and to move quick on this recruiting.

ESPN - Conversations: Cooper, Gaston waiting on Irish coaching change (http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/4727169)

A player can make more money playing at USC, Illinois and now I guess UT.

Big23Head
12-15-2009, 10:33 AM
He spoke with Kelly, didn't seem super excited but also said he plans to visit ND one last time to meet in person with him.

BGIF
12-15-2009, 10:35 AM
He spoke with Kelly, didn't seem super excited but also said he plans to visit ND one last time to meet in person with him.

The door's still ajar.

Big23Head
12-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Received an in home visit from Nebraska, they sent the whole defensive staff pretty much. Corey and his parents enjoyed it very much. He said all schools are pretty much even. He also said he is pretty sure he will visit ND again, maybe this weekend.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
12-18-2009, 04:35 PM
I want Cooper to come so badly.

Big23Head
01-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Nebraska is going after him very hard. Stated they would hold a scholarship open for him until NSD.

irish4ever
01-07-2010, 12:23 PM
I just don't see him sticking w/ Illinois. That program is NOT going anywhere!

IrishInFl
01-07-2010, 12:40 PM
I just don't see him sticking w/ Illinois. That program is NOT going anywhere!

Plus Champaigne is one of the most boring towns ever.

BearGB
01-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Come on Chuck... go work your magic...

IrishJayhawk
01-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Come on Chuck... go work your magic...

He has magic?

Good hire...

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-07-2010, 04:13 PM
I haven't heard his name come up in the last couple weeks, but with safety prospects coming off the board quickly, he becomes priority number one. I don't see Riley coming, although I still hope, and Cooper is the last elite safety prospect that we have a shot at. Let's go Martin, make it happen buddy!

NDinL.A.
01-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Per ISD, Martin visited him yesterday, and Cooper came away very impressed. He said that he was close to the old staff, but that because ND is ND, he never considered dropping them. Maretin basically told him that he's put guys in the NFL, and imagine what he could do if he had a player of Cooper's talent. He has everyone even right now, but did admit he was very impressed with the visit...

BearGB
01-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Per ISD, Martin visited him yesterday, and Cooper came away very impressed. He said that he was close to the old staff, but that because ND is ND, he never considered dropping them. Maretin basically told him that he's put guys in the NFL, and imagine what he could do if he had a player of Cooper's talent. He has everyone even right now, but did admit he was very impressed with the visit...

Nice! Thanks for letting us know. I would like to take personal credit if we get Cooper, because I did tell Marin to "go work (his) magic." Haha. But in reality, I would love, love to get this guy. According to his high school head coach, this guy essentially was their team.

Big23Head
01-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Potentially very bad news. Rivals has an article 'blurb' saying Cooper was close to deciding but is now considering a new surprise school. My only thought is him and Prater teaming up...at Tennessee...

DomeisourHome
01-11-2010, 07:47 PM
What if the new surprise school is Notre Dame (One can only hope)?

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
01-11-2010, 10:05 PM
He is considering Michigan St. for his final official visit.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-12-2010, 01:53 AM
MSU? and risk being suspended for games because of the type of players that go there? Be smart Cooop, come fight for the Irish and upset East Lansing for four years!

SoJerseyIrish
01-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Some guys just don't want to be challenged academically.......if that is the case.....ND is not for them.........I have no idea what Corey is thinking but when you list the Pros and Cons of ND vs MSU I can't even imagine how one can compare the two aside from the lack of serious education at MSU.

mbeckha
01-12-2010, 09:33 AM
MSU? and risk being suspended for games because of the type of players that go there? Be smart Cooop, come fight for the Irish and upset East Lansing for four years!

Upset! If they win then it is an upset. every year!

acerider8
01-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Is there anyone out there (Cooper included) that thinks this kid may end up where he is currently verbally committed to, Illinois?

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
01-13-2010, 10:19 AM
He's now planning to take his last official visit to Florida St. because of Coach Stoops.

BGIF
01-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Notre Dame Football Recruiting 2010 - ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=87&page=briefingroom&season=2010&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fschoolId%3d87%2 6page%3dbriefingroom%26season%3d2010)

1/16 Bill Hodge

Touted safety Corey Cooper of Proviso East (Maywood, Ill.), once a soft commitment to Illinois, has revised his Class of 2010 recruiting list. He is now considering Arizona, Florida State, the Illini, Michigan State, Nebraska and Notre Dame. The 6-foot-1, 195-pound Cooper also holds offers from Missouri, Boston College, Vanderbilt, Purdue, Northwestern, Stanford, Minnesota and Tennessee, among others.

Big23Head
01-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Cooper will NOT visit FSU now. However this is in the wake of an in home visit from Nebraska. Being reported that it is down to NU, ND and Illinois.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-20-2010, 04:47 PM
hmmmm . . .

Man I really want Cooper on this team

irish4ever
01-21-2010, 08:30 AM
Cooper will NOT visit FSU now. However this is in the wake of an in home visit from Nebraska. Being reported that it is down to NU, ND and Illinois.

If true, it totally blows my mind that Illinois would still be in play!?!? I've stated before, that program is currently dead and no signs of being revived!

Big23Head
01-21-2010, 09:03 AM
He is also including Arizona in his final four. Most likely will host coaches one last time next week in home then decide.

Scout.com: Final Four (http://nebraska.scout.com/2/939713.html)

NDinL.A.
01-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Nebraska looks like the team to beat here. And shockingly, like Gaston, according to the various ND sites, it seems ND has cooled on him more than the other way around. Now, hopefully Kelly is keeping things close to the vest and we don't know what really is going on, or maybe Cooper is adamant about playing receiver and we're full there, but we need safeties, so it's weird we're not all over him. Maybe he just isn't that good according to the new staff. Very perplexing...

Big23Head
01-21-2010, 09:17 AM
I have heard the same things. Nebraska is recruiting him as a safety. If he hosts ND next week we will see.

SoJerseyIrish
01-21-2010, 10:02 AM
I've always wondered if maybe these kids didn't get their grades and test scores up enough to be admitted? If that is the case, you don't want to embarass these kids by saying it in public so you just let the recruiting communication fall apart and then they move on??? Maybe?? Who knows......

irishandy
01-21-2010, 10:21 PM
We need to add some defense to this team. Wonder why the staff is cooling down on guys like Cooper and Gaston, ND has always had a strong recruiting skills in IL....like NDinLA said, perplexing.

FrankMA
01-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Nebraska looks like the team to beat here. And shockingly, like Gaston, according to the various ND sites, it seems ND has cooled on him more than the other way around. Now, hopefully Kelly is keeping things close to the vest and we don't know what really is going on, or maybe Cooper is adamant about playing receiver and we're full there, but we need safeties, so it's weird we're not all over him. Maybe he just isn't that good according to the new staff. Very perplexing...

It could be that the new staff is not very good at recruiting. I believe there were recruits during the Ty era who said that they never felt like ND really wanted them even though they were offered and they wanted ND. I believe Zibby was one who felt that way. That is why Ty's recruiting classe were poor. I hope this is not the case.

Big23Head
01-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Here is Tom Lemmings opinion on this:

The Irish coaches are, no doubt, hoping that the teammate thing, or former teammate thing in Ioane's case, works. A devastating hitter, Ioane, according to the Honolulu Advertiser, has visited Boise State and Washington. ND also is involved with safety Corey Cooper of the Chicago area.

“I think Notre Dame's pursuing Ioane a little bit more because he's actually a better player (than Cooper),” Lemming said.

NDinL.A.
01-22-2010, 10:38 AM
It could be that the new staff is not very good at recruiting. I believe there were recruits during the Ty era who said that they never felt like ND really wanted them even though they were offered and they wanted ND. I believe Zibby was one who felt that way. That is why Ty's recruiting classe were poor. I hope this is not the case.

That's a fair statement. You could be right. We don't know yet. We'll know probably after next year. The problem with Ty, according to ND's recruitniks, is that he was simply a lazy recruiter. CW wasn't. And right now, Kelly hasn't been lazy. He and the staff have been all over the place trying to close this class. Hopefully he can close on a couple guys, get a top 10-15 class, win some games next year, and finish with a top 10 class next year...

FrankMA
01-22-2010, 11:51 AM

The Irish coaches are, no doubt, hoping that the teammate thing, or former teammate thing in Ioane's case, works. A devastating hitter, Ioane, according to the Honolulu Advertiser, has visited Boise State and Washington. ND also is involved with safety Corey Cooper of the Chicago area.

I think Notre Dame's pursuing Ioane a little bit more because he's actually a better player (than Cooper), Lemming said.

I don't understand this. Isn't safety a big area of need for ND? Does it have to be an either or situation? Can't we take both Copper and Joane?
Riley seems to be the only other top safety prospect we are in play for and there is talk of putting him on offense.

BearGB
01-22-2010, 12:13 PM
I hope most people know by now that I am not a pessimist by any means, but I do have one question. If Kelly is, rightfully, so worried about the depth at QB due to some of his previous experiences, then I wonder if he feels as strongly that way about other positions. Obviously QB is the most important position on the field - so depth there is necessary, but so is depth at other positions.

This is why I don't understand why he actively recruited and is willing to accept 3 QB recruits, but I get the feeling he may not think the same in this case. Hell, we need two of them on the field anyway. This could be very premature, and I don't want to necessarily criticize Kelly. Maybe, he thinks Cooper could be a cancer to the team? However, I do hope that we continue to actively pursue both of them. Depth is never, ever a bad thing. The worst that can happen is one transfers - and usually that was the odd one out anyway.

Saying that, I am excited about some of the guys Kelly is going after. Maybe he recognizes more talent in the DBs currently on the roster than we give them credit for. We will see... Go Irish!

fitz_bu47
01-22-2010, 12:27 PM
The guy is scrambling trying to get the best group of guys he can before signing day. I am sure he is trying to get all of them, Massa's coach contacted him to see if ND would be interested, and sure we were. I think we all need to relax, hope for the best with this class, and enjoy our future success because Coach Kelly is gonna bring it. (THat being said, if we lose Lueders I am gonna probably drink whiskey and listen to Johnny Cash until I fall asleep :) )

BCSorBust
01-22-2010, 12:37 PM

I think Notre Dame's pursuing Ioane a little bit more because he's actually a better player (than Cooper), Lemming said.

I agree that ND needs as much safety depth as they can get. However, I've actually heard this from other high school coaches in the Chicago area whose teams have played against Cooper. One, who was on the 88 championship team with Lou, was actually shocked that ND was recruiting him at all. He said he saw him as a MAC level talent but did admit that one game obviously was not a big enough sample size to make a definitive analysis.

That said, I think he is a good kid from other things I have heard and would love to have him at ND to prove all the doubters wrong because we are so bare in the secondary.

Big23Head
01-22-2010, 01:08 PM
I have thought about this for a while. However we have to remember one thing. Kelly stressed that everyone will start even so we really have no idea where some players may land, such as Motta, Harrison Smith and maybe a few more. In interviews Longo has also stressed that he and Kelly work together to determine what type of body and skill set each player has and the best position for each.

That being said, us fans are thinking wow we need safeties and these other positions but the staff may see it completely different right now. Times have changed and we all just have to trust for at least one year that these moves are the right ones.

BGIF
01-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Corwin Brown has joined Zook's staff as DB coach. Will that impact Cooper's choice?

NDinL.A.
01-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Woah, I didn't even think of that. Good call. It has to at least help IL's chances, although the ONLY thing IL has going for it with Cooper is that it is close to home...

IrishJayhawk
01-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Woah, I didn't even think of that. Good call. It has to at least help IL's chances, although the ONLY thing IL has going for it with Cooper is that it is close to home...

Seriously. Zook...I mean...Zook...

Seriously.

WabashFalcon
01-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Seriously. Zook...I mean...Zook...

Seriously.

Corwin Brown. Seriously... Brown.

BGIF
01-22-2010, 07:43 PM

Same thing it had going when he committed 9 months ago.

phork
01-22-2010, 08:19 PM
At least Kelly will be around for more than a year..

IrishJayhawk
01-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Corwin Brown. Seriously... Brown.

Well said.

irishtrain
01-23-2010, 01:10 AM
The guy is scrambling trying to get the best group of guys he can before signing day. I am sure he is trying to get all of them, Massa's coach contacted him to see if ND would be interested, and sure we were. I think we all need to relax, hope for the best with this class, and enjoy our future success because Coach Kelly is gonna bring it. (THat being said, if we lose Lueders I am gonna probably drink whiskey and listen to Johnny Cash until I fall asleep :) ) I can relax because this guy knows what he's doing. QB- bring in enough guys to learn toughness and competition and let the best man win the job. We were fortunate with Jim Clausen, he was given the job and he was the real deal. This position has to be won most of the time for the respect of the team. My opinion is that Kelly is doing this well and he is trying for a lot of different and talented players. Notre Dame cant get them all but this guy will get his share and surprise a few people with guys who you dont hear raves on who will be very good college players. Charlie could recruit well to certain guys and he will be missed for that but this coach knows how to put a college team together. As much as I liked Weis this coach will succeed and most likely bring back the name Notre Dame to where we want it. Relax.

choo choo
01-24-2010, 12:54 AM
im with ya irishtrain

Big23Head
01-29-2010, 09:46 AM
NDinLA, where did you get the info that we cooled on Cooper? I had seen it too but I guess I always assumed it was legit. Did a reliable source have an article or general chatter?

A new Scout article makes it seem like ND is very interested and so is he. Basically he really likes Kelly and Martin and is comfortable with ND again now.

NDinL.A.
01-29-2010, 10:17 AM
NDinLA, where did you get the info that we cooled on Cooper? I had seen it too but I guess I always assumed it was legit. Did a reliable source have an article or general chatter?

A new Scout article makes it seem like ND is very interested and so is he. Basically he really likes Kelly and Martin and is comfortable with ND again now.

2 Different sites were 'thinking' it, and by that I mean the mods who follow that stuff were saying that was the scuttlebutt. Like you, now I'm reading that ND is back in it, which would be great. It'd be really nice to get this kid...

TerryTate
01-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Anybody have access to the Scout.com article on Cooper and Notre Dame?

Starts out:

Right now Im kind of stuck and not sure what to do," Corey Cooper said. "I made the decision very early and just want to make sure its the right choice. Cooper's earliest visit was to Notre Dame. For a while I wasnt sure about them. But I really like coach Brian Kelly. Hes a cool guy. Hes very excited about bringing Notre Dame back to where they once were. I feel very comfortable..."

Anyways, I hope we haven't cooled on him if the enticing preview was any indication of his preference on NSD.

LeahysLad
01-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Corwin Brown has joined Zook's staff as DB coach. Will that impact Cooper's choice?

Video: Why the Pats hired Corwin Brown - AFC East Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/9939/video-why-the-pats-hired-corwin-brown)

All things considered...GO IRISH!!

faithfulfan
01-30-2010, 03:08 PM
New poster here, but have been keeping up with recruiting on other sites.

Is Cooper making a visit anywhere this weekend? I think a visit to SB this weekend could seal the deal.

vernfootball1
01-30-2010, 03:11 PM
New poster here, but have been keeping up with recruiting on other sites.

Is Cooper making a visit anywhere this weekend? I think a visit to SB this weekend could seal the deal.

He is not visiting anywhere, but on ISD they have not mentioned him visiting this week.

IanBr22
01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
He's at an all star game in FL.

phork
02-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Nebraska'd.

jboxer562
02-03-2010, 01:27 PM
yup, rather random