PDA

View Full Version : 2017 NFL Free Agency

Irish Man3
03-09-2017, 08:57 AM
Excited for this years free agent movement.

Hurts me as a skins fan that my GM can't put the bottle down long enough to make moves or be a part of the decision making. That kind of insecurity will make it difficult to bring in free agents.

Let the games begin...

Irish Man3
03-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Sounds like DeSean Jackson is headed to Tampa Bay. They could be really explosive on offense with Evans, DeSean, and Vincent on the outside. They also have 2 really solid TEs. If they can establish any kind of running game with Martin out, they could make a serious run in that shitty division.

dublinirish
03-09-2017, 09:14 AM
Stephen Gilmore to the Pats is interesting, rich get richer

irishfan
03-09-2017, 09:33 AM

I'd be livid if I were Malcolm Butler. Guy has made 1.8 million total the last three seasons then gets tendered at 3.9 for next year....now they're giving a guy 14 million a year supposedly.

zelezo vlk
03-09-2017, 09:36 AM
I'd be livid if I were Malcolm Butler. Guy has made 1.8 million total the last three seasons then gets tendered at 3.9 for next year....now they're giving a guy 14 million a year supposedly.

Yeah, Gilmore isn't even worth that much

irishfan
03-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Yeah, Gilmore isn't even worth that much

I've only ever seen him play against the Pats and he hasn't really impressed too much, but that's against Brady so whatever. From what I've gathered he seems extremely talented but inconsistent and just an average tackler.

Crazy talent there now though:

Gilmore (1st round)
Butler (undrafted but clearly is a #1 CB)
McCourty (1st round)
Chung (2nd round)
Rowe (2nd round)
Cyrus Jones (2nd round)

Belichick loads up on secondary when their schedule is heavy with top QBs...they get NFC South next year so that makes sense to spend there.

zelezo vlk
03-09-2017, 09:55 AM
I've only ever seen him play against the Pats and he hasn't really impressed too much, but that's against Brady so whatever. From what I've gathered he seems extremely talented but inconsistent and just an average tackler.

Crazy talent there now though:

Gilmore (1st round)
Butler (undrafted but clearly is a #1 CB)
McCourty (1st round)
Chung (2nd round)
Rowe (2nd round)
Cyrus Jones (2nd round)

Belichick loads up on secondary when their schedule is heavy with top QBs...they get NFC South next year so that makes sense to spend there.

Well the round makes no difference. Chung took a long time to become a good player in the secondary, and McCourty had his up and down years, he's a safety now right? Rowe was traded because the Eagles gave up on him.

Gilmore was drafted because he has a ton of potential, but he's been extremely inconsistent. I expect that he'll do fairly well next since he should be drawing the #2 WR most of the time, unless the Pats don't follow receivers.

irishfan
03-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Well the round makes no difference. Chung took a long time to become a good player in the secondary, and McCourty had his up and down years, he's a safety now right? Rowe was traded because the Eagles gave up on him.

Gilmore was drafted because he has a ton of potential, but he's been extremely inconsistent. I expect that he'll do fairly well next since he should be drawing the #2 WR most of the time, unless the Pats don't follow receivers.

Round doesn't mean everything, but all of these guys besides Cyrus Jones have produced and shown they can play at a very high level. Barring losing Butler, this is probably the best secondary they've had on paper going back to the Ty Law days.

zelezo vlk
03-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Round doesn't mean everything, but all of these guys besides Cyrus Jones have produced and shown they can play at a very high level. Barring losing Butler, this is probably the best secondary they've had on paper going back to the Ty Law days.

The only reason I brought up round is because you did; I thought you were using it as justification that it's a good group. And man idk, Butler and Revis back in 2014 was pretty friggin' good.

RDU Irish
03-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Love seeing the Bears named in rumors for every single free agent QB. Wouldn't mind seeing them take Glennon or even Kap on a reasonable salary for a few years while they try to develop a better option or wait for better FA options to arise. Build the rest of the team and make it attractive for a FA QB in a year or two.

Rogue219
03-09-2017, 10:37 AM

A kick to the collective groin of the League.

zelezo vlk
03-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Love seeing the Bears named in rumors for every single free agent QB. Wouldn't mind seeing them take Glennon or even Kap on a reasonable salary for a few years while they try to develop a better option or wait for better FA options to arise. Build the rest of the team and make it attractive for a FA QB in a year or two.

Looks like they're getting Glennon. He still has upside, but I wouldn't personally count on it. If Pace doesn't pair this signing with a somewhat high draft pick at QB, I'd consider that a big mistake.

Rogue219
03-09-2017, 10:38 AM

They're bidding against themselves with Glennon right now. Just like the Jim Hendry Cubs and Alfonso Soriano.

This Bears regime has to get something done this year or they might be in trouble.

Rogue219
03-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Looks like they're getting Glennon. He still has upside, but I wouldn't personally count on it. If Pace doesn't pair this signing with a somewhat high draft pick at QB, I'd consider that a big mistake.

If they take a QB third overall, he's got balls, I'll give him that.

Jamal Adams is probably my favorite player in this draft since Allen has arthritis in his shoulders now.

zelezo vlk
03-09-2017, 10:43 AM
If they take a QB third overall, he's got balls, I'll give him that.

Jamal Adams is probably my favorite player in this draft since Allen has arthritis in his shoulders now.

I definitely didn't mean 3rd haha. I want to see how FA shakes out before I say exactly whom I want at #3. There are lots of good guys that will be available, it just seems like none are really worth the 3rd pick in the draft.

dublinirish
03-09-2017, 10:57 AM
i still cant believe some team wants glennon to be their QB, seriously WTF

woolybug25
03-09-2017, 11:01 AM

I would be very happy with Glennon as long as we didn't pay him a crazy contract. I would grab him and draft a QB like Chad Kelly late.

zelezo vlk
03-09-2017, 11:02 AM

I was pretty surprised, though his rookie year was pretty decent. I guess Lovie Smith just wanted McCown to be the starter and that left Glennon in the cold and there was no way he was gonna start over Winston. He definitely has upside, but it's a longshot whether he can actualize it. That is why Ryan Pace needs to draft a QB somewhat early (2nd/3rd); it'll give the rookie some time before he needs to perform, and it allows Glennon time to shine. If he does, he'll be extended (unless this contract is for 5 years, though I see 2-3 right now), if not, he's made a lot of money and had a shot. He'll be paid among the lowest for any non-rookie contract starting QB, but the market for QBs is so inflated that it looks like a terrible deal.

I would be very happy with Glennon as long as we didn't pay him a crazy contract. I would grab him and draft a QB like Chad Kelly late.

Yeah I've accepted that he's gonna be starting for da Bears next year. It's fine; I wanted him in 2013, but that team had a ton of needs and a rookie QB wasn't one of them.

My original thinking was picking somebody like Kaaya in the 2nd/3rd and then Chad Kelly in the 6th. This was assuming that Kelly interviews well. Basically tell him that he has all of the talent necessary to be a great QB, but he has to work on it and he'll be given every opportunity to win the starting job.

BleedBlueGold
03-09-2017, 11:04 AM

I'm hearing $14.5M per year for three years.

zelezo vlk
03-09-2017, 11:16 AM

That'd put him at either the lowest or 2nd lowest salary for a starting QB not on a rookie contract.

woolybug25
03-09-2017, 11:27 AM

This would please me.

irishfan
03-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Per Schefter: 3 years, 45 million for Glennon with 19 million guaranteed. Not bad if they can get out easily if he's Osweiller 2.0. Based on those numbers, I can't imagine much is guaranteed after year one.

Irish Man3
03-09-2017, 11:36 AM
AP interested in Pats, Packers, Raiders, and Tampa Bay

irishfan
03-09-2017, 11:42 AM
The only reason I brought up round is because you did; I thought you were using it as justification that it's a good group. And man idk, Butler and Revis back in 2014 was pretty friggin' good.

I agree with the round not meaning much at all, I mainly brought it up to show these are guys who were considered talented out of college and not just guys coached up well in Belichick's system.

And that 2014 secondary was great, but it was Browner opposite Revis. Butler was pretty much an unknown 4th/5th CB until the second half of that Super Bowl. I think Butler/Gilmore would be a better duo than Revis/Browner but who knows.

BleedBlueGold
03-09-2017, 11:51 AM
AP interested in Pats, Packers, Raiders, and Tampa Bay

I'd go TB and not think twice. Pats and Pack don't run enough. Raiders blah. TB putting things together down there. Plus it's a garbage division.

dublinirish
03-09-2017, 11:53 AM
I'd go TB and not think twice. Pats and Pack don't run enough. Raiders blah. TB putting things together down there. Plus it's a garbage division.

Id go for the Raiders especially if Murray leaves

BleedBlueGold
03-09-2017, 11:53 AM

^^^^^

I'd be great at recruiting. Come to ND. We're putting things together. OSU and UM won't use you. USC blah. Sign here.

irishfan
03-09-2017, 11:56 AM

As a Pats fan, I agree. We have games we know our OL can't hold up and that Brady can win it throwing 50+ times. AP hardly was ever a 3rd down RB to begin with, here he'd be off the field every passing down with Dion Lewis and James White to contend with. Not sure I see AP reacting well to that. Blount knew he hit the jackpot so he never complained.

Irish Man3
03-09-2017, 11:59 AM
As a Pats fan, I agree. We have games we know our OL can't hold up and that Brady can win it throwing 50+ times. AP hardly was ever a 3rd down RB to begin with, here he'd be off the field every passing down with Dion Lewis and James White to contend with. Not sure I see AP reacting well to that. Blount knew he hit the jackpot so he never complained.

AP may be in ring chasing mode though. Just something to keep in mind.

Kirk Cousins requested a trade. Redskins won't trade him. They couldn't possibly handle this situation worse. They're going to end up without him and without getting anything for him. Unbelievable.

zelezo vlk
03-09-2017, 12:03 PM
I agree with the round not meaning much at all, I mainly brought it up to show these are guys who were considered talented out of college and not just guys coached up well in Belichick's system.

And that 2014 secondary was great, but it was Browner opposite Revis. Butler was pretty much an unknown 4th/5th CB until the second half of that Super Bowl. I think Butler/Gilmore would be a better duo than Revis/Browner but who knows.

I completely forgot that it was Browner. That was Revis' last great year.

Me2SouthBend
03-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Pats considering trading Malcolm Butler to Saints for Brandin Cooks.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2017/03/09/the-latest-brandin-cooks-trade-rumor-involves-malcolm-butler

Rogue219
03-09-2017, 12:27 PM
I definitely didn't mean 3rd haha. I want to see how FA shakes out before I say exactly whom I want at #3. There are lots of good guys that will be available, it just seems like none are really worth the 3rd pick in the draft.

They need everything. Best available, which should likely be Jamal Adams.

Rogue219
03-09-2017, 12:28 PM

To be fair, he got kind of a crappy deal in Tampa. It will be interesting to see what he can do.

3 years, $45M with $19M guaranteed isn't nuts by any means.

Irish8248
03-09-2017, 12:35 PM
As a Bills fan I know two things to be true...

1-- Gilmore sacked and was way overrated. His hype grew from a disruptive front 7 in 2014 and even 2015. Happly he's gone.

2-- I'd trade my whole draft for Kirk Cousins

irishfan
03-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Pats considering trading Malcolm Butler to Saints for Brandin Cooks.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2017/03/09/the-latest-brandin-cooks-trade-rumor-involves-malcolm-butler

Seems like it's going to happen. Which would be odd because there are never rumblings like this about Pats trades ahead of time.

I wouldn't be happy with the move. I like Cooks, but Butler was the perfect Patriot.

dublinirish
03-09-2017, 12:58 PM
To be fair, he got kind of a crappy deal in Tampa. It will be interesting to see what he can do.

3 years, $45M with $19M guaranteed isn't nuts by any means.

he looked terrible any time he saw the field though. Bears gonna be selling out on their run game by the sounds of it now

Armyirish47
03-09-2017, 12:58 PM
As a Niners fan I'm cautiously optimistic with the early moves. Garcon and Goodwin give Hoyer some decent weapons, and as long as Hoyer is healthy he's a solid choice, especially at 6 million a year. Not crazy about the contract they are giving the FB, but if it is very front loaded that isn't really a big deal.

Long term best case scenario of the draft should absolutely be to move back and gather assets. I'm thinking a dynamic receiving option at WR or TE, some pieces everywhere else, and 3rd day QB to develop. Next year's QB crop is strong and Cousins can't really be franchised again, so either way I like that outcome better than rolling the dice on Trubisky. Still have a pile of money for free agents, so wait out the market a bit and take some chances on more front loaded contracts for vets that can rebuild the culture. The goal should be competitive in 2017, playoff contender in 2018, and something sustainable in 2019. Git er done!

Me2SouthBend
03-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Seems like it's going to happen. Which would be odd because there are never rumblings like this about Pats trades ahead of time.

I wouldn't be happy with the move. I like Cooks, but Butler was the perfect Patriot.

I wouldn't like it either. Butler and Gilmore would be a nice pairing. If this move is made, we can be pretty sure it isn't the last. I could then see Bill sending Jimmy G. to the Browns for #13 and a 2nd or 3rd next year and selecting a top corner this year w that pick. Of course I say that knowing he never uses a top pick on a DB.

We know he's many chess moves ahead of what we're thinking.

NDShark
03-09-2017, 01:11 PM
Haven't seen the Giants discussed yet, but I'm very excited to have a legit receiver in Brandon Marshall split out wide alongside OBJ and Sheppard inside. If they can get a respectable run game together (and some better OL play), that offense would look very good.

Irish Man3
03-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Haven't seen the Giants discussed yet, but I'm very excited to have a legit receiver in Brandon Marshall split out wide alongside OBJ and Sheppard inside. If they can get a respectable run game together (and some better OL play), that offense would look very good.

As a Redskins fan, I hate the Giants but I agree. I'm a big fan of Shepard in the slot.

RDU Irish
03-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Per Schefter: 3 years, 45 million for Glennon with 19 million guaranteed. Not bad if they can get out easily if he's Osweiller 2.0. Based on those numbers, I can't imagine much is guaranteed after year one.

I like this a lot - short term band aid so you can focus your draft on more high probability contributors. If they do well you are an attractive landing spot for FA QBs next year. Likely have a decent pick next year for a stronger QB class and afforded the ability to season a late rounder this year and early pick next year on the bench if needed.

woolybug25
03-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Bears also picked up Quenton Demps from Houston. Really like that pickup.

zelezo vlk
03-09-2017, 02:38 PM
Bears also picked up Quenton Demps from Houston. Really like that pickup.

Yup, solid safety. Now they don't need to panic in the draft.

zelezo vlk
03-09-2017, 03:46 PM
The Texans traded Brock and a 2018 2nd to Cleveland.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NFL stunner: Texans trade QB Brock Osweiler AND a 2018 second-round pick to Cleveland for the Browns to take... <a href="https://t.co/A4h8uEKwHA">https://t.co/A4h8uEKwHA</a></p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/839938195366240257">March 9, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

NDdomer2
03-09-2017, 04:06 PM
texans trading Osweiler, a 2nd and 6th round pick to Browns for a 4th rounder.

Sounds like texans will trade for romo.

Me2SouthBend
03-09-2017, 04:13 PM
texans trading Osweiler, a 2nd and 6th round pick to Browns for a 4th rounder.

Sounds like texans will trade for romo.

or Jimmy G.

Me2SouthBend
03-09-2017, 04:18 PM
Alshon Jeffrey to the Eagles. 1 yr. $14M.

ACamp1900
03-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Sound like browns were more interested in the picks than Brock and may flat release him or move him elsewhere

ACamp1900
03-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Browns doing it big on the o line today....

ACamp1900
03-09-2017, 04:35 PM
I wonder if they paid for those extra picks just to go all in on Jim G?

Meatloaf
03-09-2017, 04:59 PM
Alshon Jeffrey to the Eagles. 1 yr. $14M.

Aww yiss.

Somebody has to pick up Agholor's slack. Don't know what it is about SC receivers, they look great in college and then suck when they get to the league.

Me2SouthBend
03-09-2017, 05:20 PM

I would approve of that message.

Me2SouthBend
03-09-2017, 05:22 PM

Should the Browns offer Butler $5-$6M and surrender the 1st round tender if Pats don't match?

IrishSteelhead
03-09-2017, 05:33 PM

Yep. There is no way I'm talking myself into this one.

Wake me when Virginia McCaskey is dead.......can only hope one of the heirs is a Rocky Wirtz clone.

Irish Man3
03-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Thata boy, Scott McCloughan.

Ya lush! Perfect timing

irishff1014
03-09-2017, 11:06 PM
The redskins are professional franchise that looks like Johnny Footballs life. A dead end road.

ACamp1900
03-16-2017, 04:33 PM
Browns need to sign a couple of the following to make me happy:

DT Dontari Poe
DT Johnathan Hankins
S T.J. McDonald
CB Morris Claiborne
CB Brandon Carr
S Bradley McDougald
DB Darius Butler

I don't think signing a couple of them is fantasy and any DB is an upgrade right now... Hankins or Poe would make for a great addition along side Shelton.

irishfan
03-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Browns need to sign a couple of the following to make me happy:

DT Dontari Poe
DT Johnathan Hankins
S T.J. McDonald
CB Morris Claiborne
CB Brandon Carr
S Bradley McDougald
DB Darius Butler

I don't think signing a couple of them is fantasy and any DB is an upgrade right now... Hankins or Poe would make for a great addition along side Shelton.

Hate to break it to you, but Poe signed with Atlanta earlier today...

edit: Claiborne and Carr gone too

ACamp1900
03-16-2017, 04:36 PM
Hate to break it to you, but Poe signed with Atlanta earlier today...

Not surprising.... DT is more of a "Well we have the money and it couldn't hurt so..." we MUST get some DBs tho.