PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox Offseason Thread

Newc
11-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Ok...since the Irish season is slightly less than what I had wished for and the numerous fire Wies and the ship is going down threads have driven me into a deep depression I have taken a deeper interest in offseason baseball. Join me if you wish...I have to say its a pretty nice way to avoid the misery that is ND football.

So...

We've got Schill coming back for one year at 8 mil rather than the 13 he had previously stated he wanted. I think its a win win for both sides. Schill can stay in Boston and keep his family here and most likely retire in a Sox uniform and the club gets a proven post-season guy and a good mentor for all our young hurlers coming up and a pretty good deal.

Also, the Marlins have announced that Cabrera is available to be dealt, which could come in handy if Lowell seeks employment elsewhere. Only thing is, Florida is going to request some of our young guns ofcourse....will it be worth it to go after what looks to be Manny Jr.??

Sureal
11-06-2007, 03:43 PM
YOU DOGGONE RIGHT ABOUT IT!!!

GET HIM!! You know I was going to jump on it. If we don't get Cabrera I will be disappointed big time. Bump AROD!!! GET MIGGY OVER HERE ASAP!!!

Newc
11-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Pedroia wins ROY! Very much deserved, Congrats Dustin!!

FrankMA
11-13-2007, 09:57 AM
The only problem with trading away the good young pitchers is that you may still have to go after a couple of arms. With Scill and Wakefield, you will have two starters in their forties who already were showing signs of reaching the end of the road.

NDgettysburg
11-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Sign Lowell.....forget about Cabrera. EOS. We shouldn't be giving up any young pitching with suspect starters in Schilling & Wakefield. Yeah, I know Curt did well in the playoffs but during the season he was pretty up & down. Wakefield had a surprising number of wins but he also had some very rocky outings. If his knuckler isn't working you might as well yank him early in the game. But TF never does.

IrishinTN
11-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Sign Lowell.....forget about Cabrera.

Agreed! Cabrera is a liability in the field, a terrible clubhouse presence, and 50 pounds overwieght at the age of 23. Not a good move. Just bring back Lowell, who is the opposite of all those things.

Newc
11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
While I agree about Lowell, he is one of the best guys you can have on your team, the Sox will have to decide whether or not having Lowell for 4 years is worth it. Word is the Sox only want to offer 3, while many teams would be willing to go 4. That is the only way I see Lowell not coming back, other than that, the Sox will do what needs to be done to lock down Lowell for the next 3 years.

Also, I think Manny and Ortiz would really have a positive impact on Miggy. He is in a bad situation with no signs of improvement down there in Florida, I too would be a little on the sour side when I come to the ballpark. There really is a culture in the Red Sox organization that makes guys come together and play like a team.

SoCalDomer
11-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Not a Sox fan, but thought I'd pop in and say "hey" to you chowda heads. I had Clam Chowda fa lunch. West coast chowda not = to NE chowda though.

I'm a baseball fan, but am glad this season was over. This season just didn't feel like baseball with all the Barry hoopla and other stuff that came up.

stonebreakerwasgod
11-13-2007, 05:30 PM
I'd start a Reds offseason thread, but I'm trying to forget about them.

SoCalDomer
11-13-2007, 07:04 PM
I'd start a Reds offseason thread, but I'm trying to forget about them.

Plus, you'd be a little late. Wasn't their season done in July? Doh! Zing! :ogrin:

stonebreakerwasgod
11-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Damn, I got zinged by a Red Sox fan.

But listen.....you're not allowed to zing your own jokes. It's a man rule, man.

Neg reps! :)

NDgettysburg
11-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Agreed! Cabrera is a liability in the field, a terrible clubhouse presence, and 50 pounds overwieght at the age of 23.
yeah, I thought he looked perty hefty for a 3rd baseman....good team chemistry with Lowell....reward him for what he accomplished this year, dammit.

BTW - Heard a baseball guy (Buster Olney maybe) saying he didn't think anyone was gonna offer Lowell 4 years so he expects Boston should be able to resign him.

ojo_223
11-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Lowell is tailor made for Fenway, you gotta keep him. I just don't think that Boston should trade for Cabrera, I'd Rather see them trade for Johan Santana, but I was a pitcher and still think that good pitching and defense wins championships. You would probably have to give up too much to get either one, though. It is good to see the guys like Ellsbury, Pedroia, and Bucholz coming up through the system, haven't seen that in a while.

Newc
11-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Lowell does fit Fenway very well, you are right. And his glove there at third base is incredible, especially given that a ball getting by third base there can cause a lot of trouble bouncing around with those walls there...and Manny. And I agree that pitching is more important that having big hitters on your ball club. There is going to be several times throughout the season that your pitchers are going to have to outright win games, thats just how baseball works. Thats why I am very happy that the Sox have the young arms in line like they do. With Beckett, Dice-K, Lester, Bucholtz and Masterson, the Sox look prime for many years to come. I would though wouldn't mind trading one of our younger pitchers, who carry a huge value in the market, for either Santana or Cabrera.

Locking up Schilling gives the Sox another year to develop Masterson in AA and AAA while giving him some valuable call-ups and allows the Sox to use either Lester or Bucholtz as valuable trade bait. With Clement off the payroll, Schilling taking a 5 mill. reduction, as well as his contract being off the table after next year and with Coco most likely being dealt, the Sox can free up some cash to offer some pretty good deals if they do infact bring in another superstar. I wouldn't trade for either Johan or Cabrera if I weren't able to work out an extension of their contract. Its not worth giving up our talent for a one year rental.

Newc
11-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Also, I'm calling bullshit on Beckett not winning the Cy Young. As many of you know, I have a HUGE man crush on Beckett, but he still was the best pitcher in the bigs this year. I don't care that C.C. pitched 30 or so more innings, Beckett was absolutely dominant all year, as well as the only 20 game winner...I don't get it.

FrankMA
11-14-2007, 11:49 AM
The main competition for Lowell will be the Yankees who are in the market for a Third Baseman big time after losing A-Rod. They may offer him 4 years and big bucks just to keep him away from the Sox. There was even talk of them signing him to play First Base before A-Rod left.
Beckett should have been the C.Y. winner hands down. He dominated C.C. in the playoffs; however, the decision is made before the playoffs. He should have won anyway.

SoCalDomer
11-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Also, I'm calling bullshit on Beckett not winning the Cy Young. As many of you know, I have a HUGE man crush on Beckett, but he still was the best pitcher in the bigs this year. I don't care that C.C. pitched 30 or so more innings, Beckett was absolutely dominant all year, as well as the only 20 game winner...I don't get it.

Beckett should also gain from the last memory of his pitching performance in the playoffs. I don't think they count playoff starts for the CY Young, but his further dominane there may stick in the minds of the voters.

Newc
11-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Yea I don't get how performance in the playoffs doesn't count, but getting your team to the playoffs does. Kinda seems like you are leaving the most important part out.

Newc
11-14-2007, 12:19 PM
If Lowell leaves for the Yankees I may just break down and cry myself to sleep for the duration of his contract. I can't see another Sox jump ship to go play for the Yanks for a few more dollars.

WalshND
11-14-2007, 12:26 PM
I have a HUGE man crush on Beckett

Why do I suddenly have the song, The Crying Game, stuck in my head now.

Relax Sox, we all know next year belongs to the Tribe. (I just hope for a great steroid, HGH, ect... free year for all of us MLB fans.)

Newc
11-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Haha...I was thinking more DiNiro in "The Fan" but that works as well.

Tased
11-14-2007, 01:06 PM
The Yanks will be getting Cabrera. We need somebody to take Giambi spot in that lineup.
24 year old studs come at a premium and we got top dollar to get him.

SoCalDomer
11-14-2007, 04:42 PM
The Yanks will be getting Cabrera. We need somebody to take Giambi spot in that lineup.
24 year old studs come at a premium and we got top dollar to get him.

Dodgers, Angels favorites in deal for Cabrera - Rumors - MLB - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Dodgers-Angels-favorites-in-deal-for-Cabrera;_ylt=AkUjTg1chfPhCQbjevZmNGapu7YF?urn=mlb, 53628)

He may be heading to the west coast. Neither Boston or Yankees may get him.

mlcspinner
11-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Lowell has resigned with the Red Soxs for 3yrs
Home - BostonHerald.com (http://www.bostonherald.com)

Newc
11-19-2007, 03:29 PM
SWEET

mlcspinner
11-19-2007, 03:35 PM
SWEET

yes it is. It would have been awful if he would have gone to that "other " team

Newc
11-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Dude I don't think I would have been able to handle that again. I don't understand how Sox players can go to the Yanks. I guess when you have a typical 9-5 job the difference between a deal worth 30 mill and one worth 35 mill isn't as big of a deal as it is in the bigs.

My parents feed their family, sent them to quality schools and paid for their share of medical bills making much less than the difference between those two contracts. I just don't understand how sports stars can't do the same....damn gold platted burgers are drinving our sports heros to the poor house, its a real shame.

Sureal
11-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Dude I don't think I would have been able to handle that again. I don't understand how Sox players can go to the Yanks. I guess when you have a typical 9-5 job the difference between a deal worth 30 mill and one worth 35 mill isn't as big of a deal as it is in the bigs.

My parents feed their family, sent them to quality schools and paid for their share of medical bills making much less than the difference between those two contracts. I just don't understand how sports stars can't do the same....damn gold platted burgers are drinving our sports heros to the poor house, its a real shame.

LOL!!!

I can't even think about baseball yet. I still haven't recovered...

No seriously. Good deal with Lowell. I have to search the minors to see who we have at 3rd for the future. He ain't no spring chicken...

FrankMA
11-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Lowell's got a couple of good yearas left anyway. I believe he is only 34.
Now lets get Johan Santana to finish off the pitching rotation.

SoCalDomer
11-19-2007, 09:42 PM
The Bruins need to pick up the pace if Boston is going to hold the championship in the four major sports. Pats are nearly there, the Keltics are well on their way, Sox did their job.

If three is a hat trick, is four the golden sombrero?

ojo_223
11-19-2007, 11:55 PM
Well, thank God that Lowell is back. That was really the major thing that needed to get done in the off-season. This team is set to make another run, right now. If they can go out and get Santana, then great, but I'm happy with the team right now. Repeat?? It will be tough, but they have the talent by retaining what was there.

Newc
11-20-2007, 10:21 AM
LOL!!!

I can't even think about baseball yet. I still haven't recovered...

No seriously. Good deal with Lowell. I have to search the minors to see who we have at 3rd for the future. He ain't no spring chicken...

Jed Lowery.

Still a good year and a half to two years from being ready to play with the big boys, but he does show some promise. However, I would be surprised to see him used as trade bait as he is more likely a second baseman at the big league level.

SoCalDomer
11-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Come on BoSox, you better pony up to keep him from going to the Yankee$

The race for Johan Santana is about to begin - Rumors - MLB - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/The-race-for-Johan-Santana-is-about-to-begin?urn=mlb,55405)

The New York Daily News has installed the New York Yankees as a 3-1 favorite in the race to acquire Johan Santana of the Minnesota twins. The Boston Red Sox are 4-1, the Los Angeles Angels are 5-1 and the New York Mets 8-1.

It's no secret that the Yankees would love to add the lefthanded ace to their rotation, but at what price? They have made it clear that Joba Chamberlain is untouchable, although Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy can be had for the right price - and Santana, who will be 29 on March 13, could be that player.

Red Sox are in strong position to deal for Santana, since they possess two blue-chip pitching prospects in Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester, and a solid young center fielder in Jacoby Ellsbury. The Twins have no interest in Coco Crisp, who is guaranteed $11 million over the next two years. The Mets' biggest problem might be the lack of a big-time pitching prospect to counter Hughes or Buchholz. Mike Pelfrey, Philip Humber and Kevin Mulvey are nice arms, but they don't approach what the Yankees and Red Sox can offer.

Newc
11-29-2007, 09:32 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see a Lester, Ellsbury, Masterson deal for Santana. With Hunter gone, the Twins need a centerfielder badly and I doubt they want to go after Andruw Jones with the money he will be requiring, therefore Ellsbury would be the perfect fit.

I don't know how I feel about that move though. I like Ellsbury from his postseason performance, but I know that he can't perform like that all season, so that is a hard one. With Lester you've got a kid who fought back from cancer to seal the World Series, thats a pretty big accomplishment there, and Masterson is a pretty good looking up and coming pitcher. However, Santana would do well in a Sox uni. With the offensive firepower behind him, his numbers could be better than with the Twins, though he is pitching in a hitter friendly ballpark.

I really don't know what I want the Sox to do here. I guess if I were the GM and the Twins came and said they were ready to pull the trigger on that deal I would go for it, Santana is a huge addition to any rotation and the Sox have the money to get him a deal to stick around for many more years. Just think about it...Beckett, Santana, Daisuke, Schilling, Bucholz. Thats a pretty nasty rotation, with Schilling being the only one that wouldn't be there long term. The Sox would become the Braves of the early and mid '90s except they have some bats as well.

Sureal
11-29-2007, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see a Lester, Ellsbury, Masterson deal for Santana. With Hunter gone, the Twins need a centerfielder badly and I doubt they want to go after Andruw Jones with the money he will be requiring, therefore Ellsbury would be the perfect fit.

I don't know how I feel about that move though. I like Ellsbury from his postseason performance, but I know that he can't perform like that all season, so that is a hard one. With Lester you've got a kid who fought back from cancer to seal the World Series, thats a pretty big accomplishment there, and Masterson is a pretty good looking up and coming pitcher. However, Santana would do well in a Sox uni. With the offensive firepower behind him, his numbers could be better than with the Twins, though he is pitching in a hitter friendly ballpark.

I really don't know what I want the Sox to do here. I guess if I were the GM and the Twins came and said they were ready to pull the trigger on that deal I would go for it, Santana is a huge addition to any rotation and the Sox have the money to get him a deal to stick around for many more years. Just think about it...Beckett, Santana, Daisuke, Schilling, Bucholz. Thats a pretty nasty rotation, with Schilling being the only one that wouldn't be there long term. The Sox would become the Braves of the early and mid '90s except they have some bats as well.

ELLSBURY!!! Trade Jacoby????

I will not say it but I will rent of my clothing in the action that the priest would do after they would proclaim it.

B_ _ _ _ _ _ _ Y!!!!

How about we get rid of Crisp and anybody else beside him? Murphy anyone. Just not Jacoby.

I'm shocked. Shocked!!! --Bob Ryan

Irishknight1023
11-29-2007, 11:27 AM
The Yankees will get our man. We let you win the bidding war with Dice-K last year and he was a solid #3 guy but nothing for what you paid him. I just don't want to see any of the mentioned guys get traded for him (Melky, definently not Cano, and I'd be willing to trade Jaba the most because he was overrated last year as a setup guy and he's moving into the rotation so he's unproven and we can capitalize on it). The Sox have enough pitchers...we need them.

SoCalDomer
11-29-2007, 11:42 AM
How about we get rid of Crisp and anybody else beside him? Murphy anyone. Just not Jacoby.

That won't work in a trade with the Twins, they said they're not interested in Crisp.

SoCalDomer
11-29-2007, 11:43 AM
The Yankees will get our man. We let you win the bidding war with Dice-K last year and he was a solid #3 guy but nothing for what you paid him. I just don't want to see any of the mentioned guys get traded for him (Melky, definently not Cano, and I'd be willing to trade Jaba the most because he was overrated last year as a setup guy and he's moving into the rotation so he's unproven and we can capitalize on it). The Sox have enough pitchers...we need them.

The Yanks have said this is the one guy who is not an option in just about any trade. They still might be able to put a deal together though.

Newc
11-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Haha Sureal...I'm sorry man, I would go ahead and trade Jacoby. Its much easier to replace a position player than it is to get a very solid 29 year old stud of a pitcher. And also, I haven't quite given up on Coco yet. He may be one the best defensive centerfielders in the bigs and is only getting better in a tricky center at Fenway. Also, he hit .300 with 15 homers his last year with Cleveland and I have no doubt that he can duplicate those kinds of stats in Boston. The kid is still very young, he just needs to get comfortable at the plate and get some confidence back and he will be a premier center fielder. And don't get me wrong, I love Jacoby, I really do, but if he were part of a trade that could get us Johan how can you say no?? Now I will say that I would only put that deal on the table contigent upon the Sox being able to extend Johan before the trigger is pulled.

As for the Yankees. There is no way that Joba is moved. He is the pride and joy of the Yankees after the overhyped Hughes came up and couldn't stay healthy. Hughes and Kennedy are the ones to move if you are the Yanks. In addition, if the Yanks are to put together a package for Santana I can't imagine it not including Cano...Melky isn't that great and he has proven that he is very shaky in center. I can't imagine the Twins settling for his defense after having a 7 time gold glove winner out there in that huge centerfield.

KamaraPolice
11-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Here's what I know:

1) Santana isn't even the best pitcher on his team
2) Joba is definitely not overrated

Francisco Liriano is incredible, and if he comes back from injury, will have better stats than Santana; plus he's only 22 or 23.

Also, Joba is a stud. How can a guy with a 99 mile per hour fast ball and 92 mile per hour slider with all that movement be overrated?

SoCalDomer
11-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Here's what I know:

Francisco Liriano is incredible, and if he comes back from injury, will have better stats than Santana; plus he's only 22 or 23.

Also, Joba is a stud. How can a guy with a 99 mile per hour fast ball and 92 mile per hour slider with all that movement be overrated?

Mosquitos definitely like him.

Sureal
11-29-2007, 12:34 PM
The twins are trying to get Delmon Young so an outfielder is out of the question. Somebody is going to have to give up the dough to get Santana...

Newc
11-29-2007, 12:36 PM
KP, how can you say Santana isn't the best pitcher on his team when you go on to say "if" Liriano comes back from injury? I will agree that Santana had an off year last year and Liriano has looked very good, but pitchers coming back from an elbow injury is always iffy.

And you're right. Jaba is not overrated, that kid is going to be special, as long as he doesn't have to play during a bug invasion. Jaba is the best pitcher the Yanks have right now, which is even more reason for the Sox to grab Santana.

Newc
11-29-2007, 12:38 PM
The twins are trying to get Delmon Young so an outfielder is out of the question. Somebody is going to have to give up the dough to get Santana...

Delmon Young isn't the answer to the Twins centerfield hole. Most likely the Twins will place him at a corner position which may mean the Twins have some more trades in mind. This year is going to prove to be one of the best in offseason baseball due to all the trades. I love trades, much more enjoyable that free agent bidding.

IrishinTN
11-29-2007, 03:20 PM
I don't know about giving up the farm for even a guy like Santana. Bucky had a 2 hitter, a 3 hitter and a no hitter last year. Lester is just getting his strength back and will also be a big-time lefty. And do I even need to talk about the ability and talent of Jacoby? The Beckett trade was a special deal for the Sox, but that is the exception on stuff like this and not the rule. The Sox gave up one guy (Ramirez) who turned out to be worth a darn to the Marlins, and the Sox got two guys who were incredible this season and a third who was used to get Coco. Even though Coco didn't get it done at the plate, his glove was amazing. I say keep the young guys as it is just too much to give away.

IrishinTN
11-29-2007, 03:39 PM
In a stunning new rumor I just read, Charlie Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer is reporting the Red Sox are suddenly the front runners for Santana by offering Crisp, Lester, Justin Masterson and Jed Lowrie. The Sox need to get an extension negotiated which could hit the 6 years/$150 million dollar level. Yikes!

Sureal
11-29-2007, 03:44 PM
WOOOHOOO!!!

The Empire Squared!!!

Newc
11-29-2007, 04:03 PM
I don't know about giving up the farm for even a guy like Santana. Bucky had a 2 hitter, a 3 hitter and a no hitter last year. Lester is just getting his strength back and will also be a big-time lefty. And do I even need to talk about the ability and talent of Jacoby? The Beckett trade was a special deal for the Sox, but that is the exception on stuff like this and not the rule. The Sox gave up one guy (Ramirez) who turned out to be worth a darn to the Marlins, and the Sox got two guys who were incredible this season and a third who was used to get Coco. Even though Coco didn't get it done at the plate, his glove was amazing. I say keep the young guys as it is just too much to give away.

Yea but you have to remember, Anibal Sanchez was thought highly of as a prospect coming from Boston, just because he hasn't had the greatest run in Florida doesn't mean he wasn't a highly thought of guy at the time of the trade.

IrishinTN
11-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Yea but you have to remember, Anibal Sanchez was thought highly of as a prospect coming from Boston, just because he hasn't had the greatest run in Florida doesn't mean he wasn't a highly thought of guy at the time of the trade.

I hated seeing Sanchez go at the time (I remember preferring they trade Lester) and you can't see an injury coming. That helps prove the point that trades like the Beckett trade are the exception instead of the rule. Although...the trade that is now on the table for Santana might just be acceptable to me (not that anyone cares).

Newc
11-29-2007, 04:14 PM
In a stunning new rumor I just read, Charlie Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer is reporting the Red Sox are suddenly the front runners for Santana by offering Crisp, Lester, Justin Masterson and Jed Lowrie. The Sox need to get an extension negotiated which could hit the 6 years/$150 million dollar level. Yikes!

I heard on XM the four for Johan are Lester, Crisp, Lowery and one unnamed "power bat" minors player. I would say pull the trigger on this deal right away, but I am sure the Twins are going to want to hold out to see what else they can get. If I were Theo, I would offer up Hansen who is also highly though of in hopes that they could seal the deal quickly.

This does leave the Sox with a problem at third since we really have no one in our system to fill in after Mike, not that Lowery was a prototypical third basemen, but I'm sure he could have filled in if we were to develop someone else or go after a free agent. This pretty much means that once Lowell's contract runs up in three years the Sox will have to overpay whichever decent third baseman becomes a free agent that year....not too sure how I feel about that one. But you cross that bridge when you get there, getting Johan would almost gaurentee a repeat World Series. I can't imagine how nasty that rotation would be. Beckett, Santana, Dice-K, Schilling, Bucholz....NASTY. Can you imagine going into a postseason and Schilling being your number 4?

If those 4 or maybe 5 guys can lock down Santana you've got to pull the trigger.

IrishinTN
11-29-2007, 04:26 PM
I can't imagine how nasty that rotation would be. Beckett, Santana, Dice-K, Schilling, Bucholz....NASTY. Can you imagine going into a postseason and Schilling being your number 4?

That is the kind of rotation dynasties are made of.

Newc
11-29-2007, 04:47 PM
On a side note, I was just thinking about all the trades and got to wonderings. Orlando Cabrera for Jon Garland. I'm under tha assumption that the Angels picked up Garland to spin him back off to the Marlins in a Cabrera deal so I was wondering, what if the Sox could have offered a hurler for the Angels to turn around and deal. I know the Angels would have asked for a guy like Lester there, but would a straight deal having Lester going for Cabrera be worth it? Ofcourse you couldn't have seen anything that has just happened recently, but now you would have Lugo that you could offer with Coco, Masterson and Lowery to fill in the holes in Minn for relatively low cost.

Now I'm sure the Twins would ask for Bucholz in that deal to make up for the loss of Santana, but I doubt they will be getting more than Kennedy from the Yanks and Masterson is head and shoulders above Kennedy. In addition, now with Bartlett gone from the Twins, Lugo would fill a huge hole, Coco would add an amazing glove to that vast centerfield, you could move Delmon Young to right, which he is better suited for anyway with his arm, trade Cuddeyer to fill in some more holes or bolster the farm system, plug Masterson into the rotation right away and have Lowery develop down on the farm.

Ofcourse hind sight is always 20/20, but man I wish would could get Orlando back. I absolutely loved him in Boston and I have to say I honestly believe he is the best shortstop in the AL. Talk about the most underrated player in the bigs! I would be pissed if I were an Angels fan.

Irishknight1023
11-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Here's what I know:

-----He's good and I watched every appearence of him this year. He got lucky on his 0.00 ERA streak a lot when alot of balls would hit the warning track. He's overhyped because he was just a setup guy and you cannot know what to expect from him as a starter.

Newc
11-29-2007, 05:12 PM
IrishKnight, that is a very valid point, especially with Joba not coming up till midseason. Expecting this kid to be the same after going from being a pullpen guy, with the ever so famous Joba Rule, to throwing 175-200 innings would be asking a ton. I do however still think that Joba is the best pitcher the Yanks have, especially with Petite unsure about coming back. However, being the best pitcher and being a quality starter are not one in the same. The Yanks need Wang to be a very good mentor to Joba if they want him to be successful quickly. Wang does speak english right??

Newc
11-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Ok...this is coming from multiple sources now, that doesn't mean it isn't just recycled, but I tend to believe rumors that are picked up by multiple sources rather than the ones that are pushed for a few days then dropped.

The deal would have the Sox sending Lester, Crisp, Lowery and Masterson to the Twins for Santana. From the sounds of things, this is the best deal on the table because the Yanks have their deal anchored by Kennedy and Melky.

Lester ofcourse blows Kennedy out of the water and even Masterson is on the same level as Ian. As far as a Coco v. Melky debate. Coco definitely has the defensive side of that debate won and I really think that Coco is about even on the offensive side. He hit well in Cleveland and with the large outfield in Minn., Coco could pick up a bunch of two baggers hitting the gaps there.

I am sure if the Yanks really want Johan and I can't see why not, especially if the Sox are in the hunt they will have to deal Hughes in addition to Kennedy. If that is the case, then the Yanks will be in a bind for pitching this year as their rotation would most likely be Johan, Wang, Mussina, Jaba, and who ever they can find for that last spot. Maybe Petitte comes back if they get Johan but maybe not.

This offseason is one of the most exciting I can remember in some time.

Sureal
11-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Ok.

That sounds a little better than trading Jacoby. Mercy. I was on pins and needles yesterday after you gave that scenerio.

Mind me. It's that Red Sock Paronoia...

I'll be checking SOSH today for any more updates...

daytonirish
11-30-2007, 11:38 AM
Just watched a tape of some baseball guy on espn.com that now is saying the Twins are starting toplay hardball for Santana and might now be asking for way to much in young talent. But I will never put anything past the Sox or even the Yanks. When it comes to someone they want these two teams don't let anything stand in their way.

Newc
11-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Just watched a tape of some baseball guy on espn.com that now is saying the Twins are starting toplay hardball for Santana and might now be asking for way to much in young talent. But I will never put anything past the Sox or even the Yanks. When it comes to someone they want these two teams don't let anything stand in their way.

Haha, very true. When the paranoia sets in on both sides there the trades can get out of control. The Twins could really play both sides against each other in hopes of getting the absolute most for Santana.

However, like many others have said, Santana isn't the end all be all in this market. Dan Haren could come to the Sox or even the Yanks and be a dominante force as well, and the trade demands would be significantly less for Haren.

If the Sox nab Haren, I wouldn't doubt the Yanks giving up Kennedy and a prospect for Haren or maybe even Hughes. While Haren will demand a quality pitcher or player he won't bring with him the demand for multiple players, that could ultimately end up more beneficial for whichever team may get him.

Newc
11-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Ok.

That sounds a little better than trading Jacoby. Mercy. I was on pins and needles yesterday after you gave that scenerio.

Mind me. It's that Red Sock Paronoia...

I'll be checking SOSH today for any more updates...

Haha, I agree Sureal. I love Jacoby, he really is a Red Sox type player. But you wouldn't offer him if it meant getting Santana??

We would have a team ERA of 2.70 with him in the rotation....and win another 3 or 4 World Series Rings over the next 5-7 years.

daytonirish
11-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Hey Newc, stop being so greedy. You and the Yanks just keep battleling it out for Santana and leave Haren for my Tigers. You know we need some love every now and then. :bbanana:

Sureal
11-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Haha, I agree Sureal. I love Jacoby, he really is a Red Sox type player. But you wouldn't offer him if it meant getting Santana??

We would have a team ERA of 2.70 with him in the rotation....and win another 3 or 4 World Series Rings over the next 5-7 years.

Nope.

Can you imagine a Ellsbury-Pedoria 1-2 combo for the next 5-7 years.
the young guns we have aren't too bad. Let them grow into being dominant pitchers.

Newc
11-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Haha..by no mean am I saying get rid of Ellsbury. He and Pedroia are a killer combination of young guys to have coming through your system. And I do have faith in Lester and Bucholz as they will surely develop into good pitchers. But will they be Santana good? Few are. I've always been one to believe that good pitching always beats good hitting. When you have the oppurtunity to go get an ace, you give up your young hot position player to get him every time. The Sox can find a good centerfielder to come play for them, especially if we have two proven aces (Beckett and Johan) and possibly two on the way (Bucholz and Dice-K).

I don't think I will be upset either way. If we have to give up Jacoby to get Johan then great, if we refuse to give him up and don't get Johan then oh well, its not like we are in great need for him. But the fact remains, with Johan, Beckett, Dick-K, Schilling and a young gun in the rotation, the Sox win the East again, win 105-110 games and are the serious World Series favorite.

Sureal
11-30-2007, 04:31 PM
I heard about Haren getting some airplay from some of the brass at Yawkey...

Now I like Santana. I'm just weary about giving up our prospects for someone. Who would you deem as untouchable?
Besides the vets. I'm talking 1-2 year players and minor leaguers...

Newc
11-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Untouchables...I guess it depends on who we were to go after. For Santana I would offer any of our young guys, other than Pedroia ofcourse, but only one of the top prospects, either Lester or Bucholz, not both and if they wanted a Lester & Ellsbury deal then I would not let go of Bowden in addition, Masterson yes.

Other than that we kind of have some wiggle room. I think Bowden is our next big arm, I actually like him better than Masterson even though he just has some AA experience.

If we were to go after Haren, only one of our top guys would be available, and only three deep at the most playerwise. A Lester, Lowery PTBNL maybe, but no way any combo of Lester, Bucholz, Jacoby, Bowden.

Haha its really confusing after I read over all that, but its a giant chess match when it comes to these trades. Ofcourse we aren't going to get an ace without having to give up some big guns of our own. The more I think about it, Haren may end up being the biggest pickup of the offseason, with Johan garnishing all the attention someone may slip away with a hell of a good pitcher while leaving the farm rather intact.

Newc
12-04-2007, 04:20 PM
3:28 p.m., from Peter Gammons
• The Twins and Red Sox are getting closer to finalizing a Johan Santana deal. Boston has sweetened its offer by adding a fifth player to the trade proposal -- outfield prospect Ryan Kalish, a ninth-round draft pick in the 2006 out of Red Bank Catholic High School (Shrewsbury, N.J.). - From ESPN's Winter Meetings Blog

This would mean that the Twins are interested in the Lester deal which would include Coco, Masterson, Lowery and now Ryan Kalish. Therefore, Jacoby would be our starting centerfielder.

Awesome deal in my mind. Sure we give up Lester, but he would top out at a #2 at best, Coco is gone, no big deal since we have Jacoby although I did really like the guy, Lowery is gone, which means we really have no non-first baseman infielders in our farm except the 17 year old Tejada who is a LONG way from being ready for the bigs, and Masterson, who is a good sinker baller but most likely no more than a quality #3 in the big leagues. I have no info on Ryan Kalish, so I think that is just a sweetener there.

Just think, Beckett, Santana, Dice-K, Schilling and Bucholz.

With the lineup looking like:
Ellsbury - CF
Youklis - 1B
Ortiz - DH
Ramirez - LF
Drew - RF
Lowell - 3B
Pedroia - 2B
Varitek - C
Lugo - SS

Can you say repeat World Series Champs???

SoCalDomer
12-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Ya, it looks like you beat the Yanks for another top pitcher

Hank Steinbrenner's deadline for a Johan Santana trade with Minnesota passed without an agreement.

Minnesota came off its demand that the Yankees include pitcher Ian Kennedy along with pitcher Phil Hughes and center fielder Melky Cabrera, but the Twins still were asking for more than the Yankees were willing to offer.

"It's still something that we can't do," Steinbrenner said Tuesday morning. "As far as I'm concerned, it's probably off."

daytonirish
12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Are the Red SOx trying to overtake the Yankees as the most hateed team in baseball ? Wait a minute, is the state of Mass. trying to be the most hated state ? Red Sox, N.E. Pats, B.C., I mean I know you guys lost the MLS championship but this is getting rediculous. :curse:

Newc
12-04-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm sure we will be after we take another 3 rings in the next 5 years.

Sureal
12-04-2007, 04:43 PM
YES!!!!!

MAKE IT HAPPEN THEO!!!

If they would have gotten rid of Ellsbury I would have been pissed...

Sureal
12-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Rotation???? Your talkin early 60's Dodger territory...

Beckett
Santana
Schilling
Wake
me...

Newc
12-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Haha, I was waiting for you to speak up. If this deal goes through, I'll send the bottle of champagne for you to pop...Ellsbury is here to stay!!

Newc
12-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Rotation???? Your talkin early 60's Dodger territory...

Beckett
Santana
Schilling
Wake
me...

Dude, Beckett and Santana could be the next Drysdale and Kofax. That is unheard of anymore. Pure Domination!

Sureal
12-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Bullpen? Papelbon are you serious???? OMG!!!

This has to happen...

daytonirish
12-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks Newc but I don't drink champagne. Beer man just beer. :bbanana:

Newc
12-05-2007, 10:13 AM
I don't like all the silence now, purely out of my own impatience. With the Tigers getting both Dontrelle and Miggy I think that the Santana deal has just taken a jump in importance. The Tigers are going to be one hell of a team next year and as things stand right now, I could very well see a Detroit Boston ALCS.

This brings up two very different scenerios:

1) With the emergence of Cleveland and now with Detroit getting much stronger, the Twins could see this as a transition period and be more inclined to take some good young prospects and try to build for the future.

2) The Twins could still believe that they are very much in the hunt for a division or wild card win here and believe that they can only achieve that with Santana at the helm.

Ofcourse I am very biased when it comes to this trade, but here is what I believe and I will take as much of my personal wants out of this as much as I can.
The Twins have to realize that this is the absolute last year they will have Santana, given that they don't deal him here over the winter. They will not be able to afford his contract next year and will not want to get into an inflated bidding war with Boston, New York (both teams most likely) and the Halos. Therefore, with the huge acqusition that Detroit just pulled off and with the success that Cleveland had last year, the Twins would be wise to see this as the best time to rebuild. Who better than Santana would bring in a number of prospects that you can develop and create a young core of solid ballplayers in an attempt to make a serious charge in two to three years from now. We've seen that it can be done as evidence in Cleveland's run of success lately, they have laid the blueprint that the Twins could easily follow. There is no reason in Minn. playing hard ball with any team involved in the Santana deal and their only goal should be getting a number of promising prospects back for him, not trying to start the season with him and not hoping he can be dealt mid-season. The time is now for the Twins to make their move and grab who they think can be the future of their ballclub. I think all of the offers on the table far exceed the Twins keeping Santana this year and wind up with draft picks at the end of the year once he signs elsewhere.

Sureal
12-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah the silence is making me nervous. They need to start moving or something....

Newc
12-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Haha I am way too nerotic for offseason dealings like this. I really just need to turn off my computer and throw my TV out the window, but then I would most likely just end up that crazy guy who rocks back and forth muttering to himself.

daytonirish
12-05-2007, 10:29 AM
I don't know if I agree with you Newc about the Twins not holding out or playing hard ball. The Tigers gave up alot of quality youngsters to make the deal with the Marlins. The Twins gotta feel like sooner or later they will get more back for Santana than what the Marlins got. They could wait until nid-point of the season when both the Yanks and Sox always seem to make a monster deal if that's what they need to do.

Newc
12-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Yea but Santana has stated that he will not waive his no trade clause once the season begins. I have no doubt that he means that because he is taking a big risk even starting the season without a long term contract in place. I believe it was Steve Phillips (though I think the guy is a moron) who made a good point in that what if Santana feels a pop or a twinge in his shoulder or something in spring training or before he is traded, there goes his huge payday.

With the contracts that these pitchers are getting, I think it is naive to believe that Santana doesn't believe he is due for some big time bucks. Over the past 4 seasons he has been the best pitcher in baseball (and thats not just my feelings, check the numbers, he ranks #1 Wins, ERA, K/BB and #2 in innings) and I am sure he is putting pressure on the Twins to make a move here as well.

Also, I don't think the Twins could get the same amount of prospects mid-season that they can now. Injuries happen, guys underperform, ect. ect. What happens if someone in the Sox or Yanks or Angels organization comes up lame and one of those guys talked about being traded is needed to fill in, then the deal is much less sweet. And god forbid, what if Santana has just a horrible start? Are any of those teams still going to be interested after his struggles last year and if so, how many of the guys they were willing to trade are then pulled back?

The best time to make a deal of this magnitude is always during the winter meeting. Just look at what the Marlins and Tigers pulled off. That trade would have never happened mid season becuase there are too many other things to consider when people are in or out of pennant races.

daytonirish
12-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Great points. So now we just sit back, relax, :meditate: and see who is going to :makeadeal with the Twins first. You just gottalove the winter baseball meetings.

Sureal
12-05-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm getting on SOHS and see what is going on in the Nation... This is killing me...

Newc
12-05-2007, 10:50 AM
I don't know if I agree with you Newc about the Twins not holding out or playing hard ball. The Tigers gave up alot of quality youngsters to make the deal with the Marlins. The Twins gotta feel like sooner or later they will get more back for Santana than what the Marlins got. They could wait until nid-point of the season when both the Yanks and Sox always seem to make a monster deal if that's what they need to do.

And I'm sorry if it came off that I was implying that the Twins are "playing hardball" or holding out. I didn't mean it that way. The Twins need to draw this out in order to get a large return on their star. I don't blame them at all for taking to time to examine all of their options here and try to get everyone that they want and deserve in this deal. I just meant that they need to be careful not to draw this out to where Boston feels the need to address other needs or turns their attention to Haren or tried to block the Yanks in other deals they are attempting to make.

These moves are always very tricky when they reach this level. Just look at the Florida and Angels deals that continued to fall through. Everyone thought that Miggy would end up in Anaheim and look what happened there.

Ofcourse I want the Sox to lock up Santana, but the Twins have every right to investigate every avenue in order to get the best return.

NOTE: However, the Twins better damn trade Santana to the Sox or I will curse their name for all eternity!!

daytonirish
12-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Thank you guys for a intellegent discussion about baseball. It's not like I ever hated the Sox , but with all the Sox fans on this site. And with the trade my Tigers just made and the one they're going to make with Inge this will make for great chatter between us this season. Can't wait to play you guys in the ALCS. ( Tigers sweep of course). :jawdrop:

Sureal
12-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Johan Santana (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLb&id=2993)

Crap.

Newc
12-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Thank you guys for a intellegent discussion about baseball. It's not like I ever hated the Sox , but with all the Sox fans on this site. And with the trade my Tigers just made and the one they're going to make with Inge this will make for great chatter between us this season. Can't wait to play you guys in the ALCS. ( Tigers sweep of course). :jawdrop:

Hey now, you can't talk about de-throning the KING untill you show that you can!

Newc
12-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Johan Santana (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLb&id=2993)

Crap.

Crap is right. I was really hoping the Dodgers didn't get in on this, they are the team that scares me the most here, they seem to have an unlimited number of prospects and they are all pretty highly rated.

I doubt the Mets could put together a deal better than the one the Sox have with Lester and the Angels have some good youngins but the Twins really want a promising pitcher back and I think Lester is the leader in that category. The question is, will the Twins forego the pitcher if they can get a number of solid position players?? Thats the only way I see the Sox getting burned in this deal.

However, if the Dodgers do get Santana its not all that bad for the Sox, he goes to the NL and not to an already solid AL foe...so it could be worse.

Offer Lester and Ellsbury now, with Masterson to top off the deal. If the Twins turn that down then its obvious they want numbers.

Newc
12-05-2007, 12:08 PM

Crap.

Sources from Nashville are saying that they Twins have sought out other teams in order to give them a "last chance to make your best offer" oppurtunity. Supposedly, if the Twins do not hear back from these teams with offers that trump that of the Red Sox then they are ready to pull the trigger.

Newc
12-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Haha...well, I appologize to anyone who is looking for new info, but Peter Gammons is reporting that he is hearing that the Twins have not been blown away with any offers and may just hold onto Santana.

Haha, gotta love this stuff. The rumors are going to be coming in by the minute and things are sure to change a million times before the day is through. Sit tight Sox fans, we are in for some entertainment to say the least.

However, whenever the news seems to get like this coming out so frequently with so many changes it usually means that something definitive is on the horizon. I wouldn't be surprised if this is all wrapped up by the end of the day.

Sureal
12-05-2007, 12:18 PM
I hate baseball.

Newc
12-05-2007, 12:25 PM
I hate baseball.

Haha...wheres my prozac?

daytonirish
12-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Well it's offseason, so first we make moves to better our chances of de-throning the KING. Then we talk about it until the season starts. Then we pray that all are talking doesn't come back and bite us in the a$$. That's why they call it the off-season.

daytonirish
12-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Well if that's what Gammons is reporting then a deal is likely about to get done.

Newc
12-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Well it's offseason, so first we make moves to better our chances of de-throning the KING. Then we talk about it until the season starts. Then we pray that all are talking doesn't come back and bite us in the a$$. That's why they call it the off-season.

Haha....you know who you are talking to here right? Red Sox fans created the talking about de-throning the KING only to have it bite us in the ass. We are well aware of everything that goes into such lofty expectations and know all of the angles that are to be played in the game, so take it from me, if only to save your sanity....sit back and just pray and don't get too loud, it hurts like hell when some bum crushes a knuckleball into the right field bleechers after you thought your ace was gonna wrap up the series.

Actually...screw that, make as much noise as you can, talk as much trash as you can think of and proudly go down with the ship as the flames burn bright!!!

daytonirish
12-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Like I mentioned on the other baseball thread I'm a Dtroit fdan in all pro sports. So as far as going down with the burning ship MM of the Lions takes me down every yr. So when one of my teams is doing something to make me feel good. I always talk way to much s***. And yes then it bites me in the a$$. But I always get back up and do it all over again. Actually I'm getting pretty good at it if I do say so my self.

Newc
12-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Haha...I actually think thats what makes sports so much fun.

Newc
12-06-2007, 10:44 AM
ESPN is reporting that Tito is heading home today and although nothing was stated about Theo, I can't believe that Tito would be leaving if there were negotiations still in the works here.

I'm not saying a deal will not get done in the offseason here but I doubt anything happens for quite a while now as we fall into that quite time of the year for baseball.

All in all, you've got to believe that Sox have "won" here by keeping the Yanks from getting Johan and we've been able to keep all of our young stars too.

Newc
12-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Theo will now be leaving once the Rule 5 draft is done today. He stated that negotiations are not done for good and that the clubs will continue to keep talks open.

Read into it what you want, but I believe that Theo will not offer anything more than what is on the table and will only keep talks "open" in order to defend themselves in case Hank Almighty decides to get back into the race. I really believe that if Hank does get back in, Theo will offer Lester and Jacoby in order to block the Yanks, that seems the be the biggest goal of this off-season for the Sox.

Newc
01-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Sox keep Lester and Ellsbury. Ultimately, with Johan not going to the Yanks I really think this is the best scenerio for the Sox. Had the Yanks been seriously in the fight for Santana I would have been willing to give up Lester or Ellsbury to get him, but if its true that the Yanks were never in the bidding at the end, I would have been a little upset to mortgage the future and give away one of two incredible prospects when our competition is staying the same all the while.

Now....the million dollar question remains. Its all but inked on the lineup card that Jacoby is our centerfielder, so what happens with Coco. He makes WAY too much to be a fourth outfielder or platoon with Drew and Manny...and to be honest, I really like the kid and think he deserves a change to go start somewhere else. I wonder what the Sox are thinking in regards to Coco and who we go after in a trade for him. I would have to think the Sox are thinking maybe some prospects since we really don't need any major league talent, but will need to fill some holes at 3B and maybe even SS in the near future. Also, with this being Manny's last year under contract (yes there are options on the table, but I never consider them when planning ahead, especially when it comes to Manny) we really are going to need a power bat that we can develop. Pitching looks very good with youth throughout the system...which makes me even happier that Lester is still with the ball club, he and Bucholz are goint to be very important pieces of the rotation, especially when Schill is gone after the season.

I hope Coco is dealt before spring training, which isn't that far off, I am sure Theo has been keeping the lines of communication open with other GMs in need of a solid defensive outfielder and who knows a trade with the Twins could be in the future, just not the one that everyone had been talking about.

I can't wait for this season to start!

Irishknight1023
01-30-2008, 11:11 AM
How one could be a BoSox fan I'll never understand.

Subway Alum - MA
01-30-2008, 04:50 PM
We're even. Red Sox fans can't understand how anyone can be a Yankees fan. Now that the Sox have a competent ownership that is not afraid to spend money (See development of the farm system), the playing field has been more even in the 21st century! "The Curse of the Bambino" has proven to be a falacy. Tom Yawkey hired incompetants and was a known racists from Louisville, KY. It's no accident that the Sox had an opportunity to sign both Jackie Robinson and Willie Mays and Yawkey refused to accept the recommendations of veteran scouts who followed the Negro Leagues. The results since the Yawkee Trust sold the team speak for themselves!!!!!:)

Subway Alum - MA
ND Fan Since 1952

Sureal
01-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Nice hearin' from ya Newc.

I want a young slugger. I was looking through our minors and I don't think we have one coming up. I really wanted Miggy Cabrerra but I wasn't willing to give up Jacoby for him. We will see who starts to step up this year in the minors....

Newc
02-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Only real power guy that is consistant that we have is Lars Anderson in high A ball. I think he is only 20, so he has probably 2 or 3 years till we can even consider him major league ready.

Hopefully Coco is needed enough by some teams out there, which I think he is given his range and glove is amazing, so that the Sox can get a power hitting outfield prospect or even a power corner infielder that is only a year or two away from the bigs. I'd also love for the Sox to be able to pick up a young SS prospect to give both Lugo and Lowery some competition and allow the Sox to have more trade options come the trade deadline or next offseason. We'll just have to wait and see how Theo plays it all out. But I really doubt that Coco comes to spring training with the Sox.

FrankMA
02-01-2008, 10:13 AM
We're even. Red Sox fans can't understand how anyone can be a Yankees fan. Now that the Sox have a competent ownership that is not afraid to spend money (See development of the farm system), the playing field has been more even in the 21st century! "The Curse of the Bambino" has proven to be a falacy. Tom Yawkey hired incompetants and was a known racists from Louisville, KY. It's no accident that the Sox had an opportunity to sign both Jackie Robinson and Willie Mays and Yawkey refused to accept the recommendations of veteran scouts who followed the Negro Leagues. The results since the Yawkee Trust sold the team speak for themselves!!!!!:)

Subway Alum - MA
ND Fan Since 1952

I also believe that the Sox had the first chance to sign Hank Aaron also but they turned him down. He then went across town and signed with the Boston Braves instead.

Akron Irish
02-01-2008, 02:30 PM
This thread sucks, Go Tribe!!!

Subway Alum - MA
02-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Sox just signed Adam Dunn to backup at first base and provide a bat off the bench.
Newc, you are correct, Lars Anderson played at A Lancaster (CA) last season. He is described as a "Large, powerful slugger with a great hitter's frame and a high power ceiling with an extra-smooth, fluid swing."
The darth of power hitters in the system is the reason they took a chance on trading for Willy Mo Pena from Cincinnati. When the Yankees signed him, he inked a major league contract and never played in the minors nor could he be sent to Pawtucket by the Red Sox without being exposed to waivers. Unfortunately, he was a "boom (homer) or bust (strike out)" hitter who was a fourth outfielder. He wasn't going to replace any of the starters or the DH. His fielding actually regressed and he was not going to improve without getting more playing time/at bats, so he was traded to Washington.

Subway Alum - MA
02-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Sorry, I always got Adam Dunn and Sean Casey confused, perhaps because they were the only major offensive threats with the Reds. Casey, nicknamed "The Mayor" because of his outgoing and positive personalaity, is a perfect fit for the Red Sox. He will be the primary backup at first base, replacing Eric Hinske (although he does not play the outfield) as a left-handed hitter off the bench. He batted .296 (lifetime avg. .301) with 54 RBIs in 143 games with the Tigers last season. Casey was involved in a fund-raising event each year through his association with a Catholic priest in Lowell, MA.

Subway Alum - MA
02-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Sorry, I always got Adam Dunn and Sean Casey confused, perhaps because they were the only major offensive threats with the Reds. Casey, nicknamed "The Mayor" because of his outgoing and positive personalaity, is a perfect fit for the Red Sox. He will be the primary backup at first base, replacing Eric Hinske (although he does not play the outfield) as a left-handed hitter off the bench. He batted .296 (lifetime avg. .301) with 54 RBIs in 143 games with the Tigers last season. Casey was involved in a fund-raising event each year through his association with a Catholic priest in Lowell, MA.

SoCalDomer
02-02-2008, 10:02 AM
watching Sean Casey run is painful, it's like he's moving in slow motion, yet he's trying so hard. just like a buddy of mine in highschool. unhitch the trailer man!

IrishinTN
02-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Yes. He should actually have the nickname "Turbo Turtle".

Newc
02-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Well, Casey really is an upgrade over Hinske and gives us a good defensive backup at first, but I was really hoping we could get a decent power righty to fill in as a fourth outfielder/pinch hitter type so he could play pepper with that wall.

onenybrother
02-04-2008, 10:16 AM
The Super Bowl was lastnight. Who cares about the Red Sox today.

Newc
02-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Haha....NY finally wins one rather than choking away a 7 game lead and they think they are on top of the world.

Just kidding man, congrats on the win, that was huge! I am actually happy to see Eli and Plax win it....Brady was getting a little too Hollywood and cocky for me anyway. I wonder if Brady will show up in NY to see his girl all bangaged up or not.

Newc
02-08-2008, 09:43 AM
ESPN - Schilling says he'll follow rest, rehab demands of BoSox - MLB (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3235556)

Well....it looks like both Bucholz and Lester will be getting their fair share of innings this year. As long as Schill is good by the time the Sox make the playoffs I'll be happy, you can't put a value of that guy in the postseason...simply amazing.

Irishknight1023
02-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Guess he shouldn't have gotten that contract extention.

SoCalDomer
02-08-2008, 12:38 PM
overpaying older athletes seems to be in vogue right now. the last few years with Roger Clemens, this year's trade of Shaq, now schilling.

Newc
02-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Yea, if this turns out that Schill can only pitch in 8-12 games then ofcourse he will be way overpaid, but if that the case but he shows up in the postseason like he has the past few years then he'll be worth the 8 mill (and lets face it, in today's game 8 mill is not all that much). Atleast we aren't paying him Clemens money...and its safe to say with the way Schilling has been going, no one will be coming out with Fed Ex boxes full of steroids and needles claiming they are Schillings...and if they do, we can pretty much come to the conclussion that steroids are absolutely worthless then.