PDA

View Full Version : Irish Hurling at Fenway

IrishLax
11-23-2015, 07:02 PM
Did anyone see this? Seems like hurling is a bad ass combination of lacrosse and hockey. Breaking a cardinal rule and linking to Deadspin:

Irish Hurlers Play Game In Fenway Park, Have A Big Ol' Brawl (http://deadspin.com/irish-hurlers-play-game-in-fenway-park-have-a-big-ol-b-1744266821)

What an epic brawl. Hilarious that there is an end zone painted "Fighting Irish" where they're playing lol...

BeauBenken
11-23-2015, 07:59 PM
Breaking a cardinal rule and linking to Deadspin:

May God look upon you with mercy...

deise mike
11-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Irish hurling? Would that be different from French or German hurling?

FearTheBeard
11-23-2015, 08:18 PM
My first thought when seeing the title was a bunch of drunk people getting sick at the game lol. This was a nice surprise, fights breaking out in sports is always so entertaining

IrishLax
11-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Irish hurling? Would that be different from French or German hurling?

Yes, because both teams are Irish. And not French or German.

deise mike
11-23-2015, 08:44 PM
Sorry you missed the British sarcasm, there is only Irish hurling.

IrishLax
11-23-2015, 09:35 PM
Sorry you missed the British sarcasm, there is only Irish hurling.

I don't know what British sarcasm is, but I understood your implication. Hence my thread title... and hence my follow up post... there are teams in the US, so clarifying who is playing at Fenway sure seems relevant. I wrote Irish as a modifier on where the teams were from, not the type of hurling... as you said, the only type is that which originated in Ireland.

dublinirish
11-24-2015, 04:45 AM
I don't know what British sarcasm is, but I understood your implication. Hence my thread title... and hence my follow up post... there are teams in the US, so clarifying who is playing at Fenway sure seems relevant. I wrote Irish as a modifier on where the teams were from, not the type of hurling... as you said, the only type is that which originated in Ireland.

well whatever you still offended us as a nation :D

Yeah the rules they were using for this game are the same they played at Notre Dame two years ago and at halftime during the Penn State-UCF game last year. The players that brawled got a lot of flack back home for their behaviour. They are meant to be giving a positive account of the sport for an international audience. Beating the head off a few lads during such an occasion probably is not the best move.

BeauBenken
11-24-2015, 05:53 AM
well whatever you still offended us as a nation :D

Yeah the rules they were using for this game are the same they played at Notre Dame two years ago and at halftime during the Penn State-UCF game last year. The players that brawled got a lot of flack back home for their behaviour. They are meant to be giving a positive account of the sport for an international audience. Beating the head off a few lads during such an occasion probably is not the best move.

But if you're in America, there's few things we enjoy more than watching that.

dublinirish
11-24-2015, 06:54 AM
But if you're in America, there's few things we enjoy more than watching that.

true enough! especially in Boston, folks were probably hoping there would be a brawl to be honest. I'd be very disappointed if I went to a NHL game and somebody didn't try to knock somebody's block off. A purist of the sport though would probably be hoping more that people would be impressed by the skills rather than the slaps though. Although fights are common in hurling there is kind of a code as to not use your hurl as a weapon as this is considered unsportsmanlike. Pretty similar in hockey I'd say

Anyhow here's some compilation videos of great scores/skills
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PtZ0zDHqtug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/reqwQLUsibQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BeauBenken
11-24-2015, 07:21 AM
So watching those videos, can you run with the ball in your hand or nah?

dublinirish
11-24-2015, 07:30 AM
So watching those videos, can you run with the ball in your hand or nah?

nope you have to balance it on your hurl like an egg and spoon race :)

Irish#1
11-24-2015, 08:08 AM
I saw a nice double leg take down on that clip. Someone has a wrestling background.

IrishLax
11-24-2015, 08:33 AM
nope you have to balance it on your hurl like an egg and spoon race :)

So is it like traveling in basketball (or I guess closer to handball rules) where you can run for a couple steps with it in your hand then have to use your stick?

dublinirish
11-24-2015, 09:21 AM
So is it like traveling in basketball (or I guess closer to handball rules) where you can run for a couple steps with it in your hand then have to use your stick?

you can take 4 steps and then you have to balance or bounce the ball to keep carrying it. pretty much like basketball in a way

dublinirish
11-24-2015, 09:23 AM
I saw a nice double leg take down on that clip. Someone has a wrestling background.

yeah i was listening to a podcast this morning and the hosts were joking how the standard of brawling these days has changed because everyone is watching MMA. There are no more queensburry rules right hook to the jaw, its all takedown's and working the ground game. Kudo's for the Galway goalie running all the way from the other end of the field to keep the brawl going, that's commitment.

GoldenDomer
11-24-2015, 10:08 AM
Just a couple of boys having a go at it, I see no trouble in that :)

irishnd31
11-24-2015, 01:14 PM
Just a couple of boys having a go at it, I see no trouble in that :)

He's just givin him the business.

IrishinSyria
11-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Last time I saw hurling was about 20 years ago and nobody wore helmets but everyone was just as crazy as they still are.

NDCrusader
11-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Didn't restripe ND's pitch. Respect.

Booslum31
11-24-2015, 01:35 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought that I would open it to see Irish Fans throwing up.

NDCrusader
11-24-2015, 01:48 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought that I would open it to see Irish Fans throwing up.

Were you at the SC game in costume?

dshans
11-24-2015, 01:53 PM

I thought that we might be in for a graphic visual answer to the question (asked by someone in some thread) "Will they be selling beer during the game at Fenway?".

BeauBenken
11-24-2015, 01:55 PM
you can take 4 steps and then you have to balance or bounce the ball to keep carrying it. pretty much like basketball in a way

Can I pass the ball by throwing it by hand or does all movement of the ball have to be done with the hurley?

deise mike
11-24-2015, 02:20 PM
Can I pass the ball by throwing it by hand or does all movement of the ball have to be done with the hurley?

You can palm it with an open hand but you can't throw it.

BeauBenken
11-24-2015, 02:36 PM
You can palm it with an open hand but you can't throw it.

Can I only strike it with my open hand, or can I essentially throw it just without gripping the ball with my fingers?

deise mike
11-24-2015, 03:16 PM
Can I only strike it with my open hand, or can I essentially throw it just without gripping the ball with my fingers?

It's not very effective. Only good for 10 or 20 yards. It is magical, the skills they have with the hurley (stick). They don't need to throw it.

ND NYC
11-24-2015, 03:31 PM
loved that 5 second concussion protocol by the coach.

looks at the kid, grabs his jaw, looks him in the eye and nods "you're good" and keeps him on the pitch.

I should have stayed for this, would have seen some actual excitement at fenway this weekend :)

BeauBenken
11-24-2015, 03:40 PM
It's not very effective. Only good for 10 or 20 yards. It is magical, the skills they have with the hurley (stick). They don't need to throw it.

Aye, but I would need to. haha

deise mike
11-24-2015, 03:50 PM
I'm actually English and was brought up on soccer and rugby, but have lived in Ireland for 35 years and have really enjoyed the hurling when it is played well. A high quality game is as good a sporting spectacle as you can get.

Booslum31
11-24-2015, 07:31 PM
Were you at the SC game in costume?

Yes, and Pitt, and Temple.

dublinirish
11-25-2015, 05:02 AM
Last time I saw hurling was about 20 years ago and nobody wore helmets but everyone was just as crazy as they still are.

they only recently made helmets with faceguards mandatory in the last few years.

dublinirish
11-25-2015, 05:51 AM
A high quality game is as good a sporting spectacle as you can get.

i know lacrosse is a growing game in america and around the world but it's such an inferior game to hurling. Plenty of colleges in America have Hurling clubs now; Stanford, Michigan, Indiana, Cal, Wazzu, Idaho State, Denver, Montana, Ohio State, Ball State so hard, Pitt, BC, UConn, GT, UNC, UCF, Southern Carolina..

National Collegiate Gaelic Athletic Association | Promoting Hurling and Gaelic Football on US College Campuses (http://ncgaa.org/)

BGIF
11-25-2015, 11:30 AM
The first time I saw the sport was on ABC's Wide World of Sports in the late 60's I believe. Jim McKay with an Irish color announcer. McKay was in usual form commenting about the logic of putting giant wooden spoons in the hands of Irishmen and letting them swing away with abandon at the ball or opponent. The color described the hurley in detail and noted it was not legal to swing at another player BUT it was legal to swing at the ball ... and well, if something like flesh and bone got in the way of the swing that was co-lateral damage. No helmets, no pads, I don't think they wore big gloves like hockey and lacrosse players either, just a shirt, shorts, shoes and socks.

They added tidbits of info as the game continued getting into scoring, 1 point between the uprights over the bar and 3 points under the bar. McKay pointed out one particular Irishman who was built like a beer barrel with legs. He noted that this player was a giant in the sport, "the Irish equivalent of Mickey Mantle. He does everything. Great speed, incredible power, sharp passing skills, and solid defense. Mr. Everything!" As McKay is elaborating on that player's accomplishment the the color guy breaks in to pointing out that Irish Mickey Mantle is advancing the ball and is threat to score from beyond midfield. At this point the Irish Mickey Mantle is bowling over defenders like Jim Brown running off tackle, knees and elbows flying while bouncing the ball off the ground ever few steps as the rules require.

McKay breaks back in with, "Looks like Ireland's Mickey Mantle is about to hit one out of the park as the man plants his front foot, bounces the ball a little ovre his head and then proceeds to wind like he's hitting fungo to the outfielders. Just before he makes contact with the ball, a defender takes a swing like Reggie Jackson in October hitting Irish Mickey Mantle squarely in the nuts with the business end of his 3 foot long wooden spoon. Irish Mickey Mantle drops like a rock, motionless on the field. Mckay notes, "Wow he took a shot to his ... er groin, that's gotta hurt."

Calmly the Irish color guys interjects describing the rules dealing with injuries as the camera follows the action from one end of the field then back towards the other panning quickly over the still motionless Irish Mickey Mantle. "Jim, in hurling the action continues until there's a break in play. The Irish are a tough lot and if you get injured you just tough it out ... as the camera pans over Irish Mickey Mantle for the 3rd or 4th time now in a fetal position counting his change and gasping for breath. Finally his team's medical personal run out onto the field, roll him onto a stretcher and carry him off.

Incredibly the guy came back to play in the game although he didn't quite run like a deer anymore.

dublinirish
11-25-2015, 11:35 AM
urban mythology here, have heard this story plenty of times
A guy I know was doing hurling camps in the states a few years back and when he was walking home from training a drug addict pulled a knife and and demanded his wallet. My friend told the mugger he wanted no trouble and said he had to go to his gear bag to get his wallet. He pulled out his hurl and hit the mugger with it. The cops quickly arrived to defuse the situation and when they asked the mugger what happened he said 'I was just minding my business and this white boy attacked me with a big motherfuckin spoon'

nlroma1o
11-25-2015, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't think Fenway is big enough to fit a hurling match. Isn't a hurling pitch like 140 yds by 100 yds? Or something like that. I just remember its a massive pitch. Damn near the size of a cricket oval.

dublinirish
11-25-2015, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't think Fenway is big enough to fit a hurling match. Isn't a hurling pitch like 140 yds by 100 yds? Or something like that. I just remember its a massive pitch. Damn near the size of a cricket oval.

they played a modified version called Super 11's which is designed to be played on american football fields. Less players per side/rolling sub's and no points, just goals as they use soccer goals.

here's what a football gridiron looks like on a hurling field
http://www.corporate.ie/contentFiles/newsImages/Croke%20Park%20Classic/Croke-Park-pitch-American-football.jpg

nlroma1o
11-25-2015, 01:15 PM
they played a modified version called Super 11's which is designed to be played on american football fields. Less players per side/rolling sub's and no points, just goals as they use soccer goals.

here's what a football gridiron looks like on a hurling field
http://www.corporate.ie/contentFiles/newsImages/Croke%20Park%20Classic/Croke-Park-pitch-American-football.jpg

I knew Hurling pitches were freaking massive. So I figured they had to be doing something like this. Makes sense now.

dublinirish
11-26-2015, 10:43 AM
I knew Hurling pitches were freaking massive. So I figured they had to be doing something like this. Makes sense now.

pretty big alright but small compared to an Aussie Rules Oval :)
https://lottaway.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/053.jpg