PDA

View Full Version : Postseasn Chat

Newc
10-05-2007, 09:45 AM
All right...I figured I'd start a little thread so that we could all discuss our postseason push.

So far it pretty much looks like the Phills are done...pitching has just killed them. Its a shame too, though I can't stand Philly sports it was a good story.

No offense to Tribe fans but I was pretty shocked to see them light up the scoreboard so much. I'm kinda surprised thought that CC only went 5. He wasn't tiring at the end of the season was he? Or is the Tribe just saving him to pitch again if the series goes to 4 games?

And whats with A-Rod Yanks fans? Fair or not, he will be the focus of the Yankees postseason. With the MVP numbers he put up and all the stories that followed him, he HAS to come up big in October in order to finally earn his stripes.

Arizona over the Cubs again. I've gotta say, no offense to backs fans, but I kinda wanted to see the Cubs go deep this postseason. One of those classic storied franchises that you can't help but pull for. Down 0-2...can they pull of an "'04 Sox"??

And finally Sox and Angels. Beckett was absolutely nasty and I think Youk really got to Lackey there with that first inning homer. He hasn't had the best of luck at Fenway and that can really mess with even a good pitcher's head. It will be interesting to see how the Halos respond. They are the team that really scares me the most this postseason because they can really come alive with how aggressively they play ball, you've gotta keep them off the bases. Tonight's game is one of the biggest this postseason...Daisuke's first postseason game, which scares the hell out of me because you can't allow walks to this team....somethine that Daisuke has done way too much this season.

All in all it looks like it should be a fun postseason. I've got to say, the teams represented this year are some of the best we've have in October in a while, plenty of classic big time teams.

Sureal
10-05-2007, 10:21 AM
My thoughts exactly about the Angels. I don't know if there is a such thing as a high tempo baseball team and if there ever was the Angels would be it. The Angels send people home from first and they are hyper aggressive on the base pads. I was saying the same thing about Dice K. The kid can't be walking people all over the place. I got a feeling he's going to end up irritating me to no end...

Cubs--Done. There needs to be some questioning about how Lou's teams fare in the postseason recently.

Phillies--I don't want to say they are toast but they have NO STARTING PITCHING. Can't win games when you start off down 3-0 at the end of one.

notredomer23
10-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Arod 0 for 2. 2 walks
yet people some how forget that Jeter was 0 for 4

Newc
10-05-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't think its about forgetting about Jeter but rather emphasising everything that A-Rod does because of who he is. Jeter has proven time and time again to be Mr. Clutch and at times carry his team in both the regular and post season.

Meanwhile, A-Rod nails down the biggest contract and has yet to deliver like Jeter. In addition, there is all the talk about opting out....never heard that with Jeter. He just showed up everyday and did his job...very well too.

So while you don't hear about Jeter going 0-4 but hear about A-Rod's 0-2, its because Jeter has earned to right to go 0 for and not get called on it.

Newc
10-05-2007, 04:40 PM
My bad earlier with the whole only 5 innings for CC. I didn't realize that he had thrown 114 pitches through 5...yikes!! I'd be a little worried if I were a Tribe fan, hopefully your staff doesn't get too worn down by the ultra-patient yanks so that you guys are too tired to face off against the Sox in the ALCS.

Sureal
10-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Always respected Jeter. To the point that I would type his name even. yep I said it. BoSox fans believe it or not respect the guy. They may not like him because of his jersey but they do respect him.

Sureal
10-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Cleveland's one two combination will be difficult to beat in such a short series.
(See Arizona 2001)

Newc
10-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Yea I totally agree. Though I'm a Sox fan it doesn't mean I don't respect some of the Yankee players. Jeter will always have my respect because he is a class act and a hell of a ballplayer, A-Rod not so much. There have been many greats to wear the pinstripes that no fan can disrespect. Now Damon, thats another story.

piyachi
10-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Remember when a-rod was 0-4 with 3 strikeouts? Boy would that be embarassing if it were in the post season....

Oh..... wait.... it was. In a must-win game.

The thing that made me laugh about that game was watching it on MLB.com - They had a little voting section up for 'clutch player of the year' and A ROD was a candidate?! Wow...
guess whoever made that little list up was drunk for the past couple post seasons

piyachi
10-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Also - another note.....

I was at the game where the O's (my team) beat the Yanks in the 10th to seal the deal for NY not winning the east. As all the (incredibly obnoxious) Yankee fans that had been yelling at us for wearing O's stuff in Camden Yard were filing out I had a good time yelling 'one-and-out in the post season'. The most common reaction I got was either a curse word (whatev, not really phasing me) or 'we'd rather be playing the Indians anyway'. Well I am curious to know what NY fan is still thinking that after Boston is 2-0 and NY is 0-2.

Not trying to pick fights, just some good ole' trash talkin

SillyIrish
10-06-2007, 09:03 PM
It ain't over yet.

Sureal
10-08-2007, 09:23 AM
It will be interesting to see tonight what happens... Get ready, get ready get ready...

Newc
10-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Its over

Newc
10-08-2007, 09:30 AM
And by the way....your boy Stein is the biggest jackass in sports...EVER. Yes, I am a Sox fan, but I do have respect for Torre as a great manager and a great man. To announce to the media that Torre's job rests on the ALDS is completely classless, but what else would you expect with the Stein run Yankees? I think Torre has more than deserved to have his job status kept behind closed doors. The man has won George many championships and kept his teams together in very rough times. Just classic Yankees and another reason why I can't stand the pinstripes.

Sureal
10-08-2007, 10:12 AM
And by the way....your boy Stein is the biggest jackass in sports...EVER. Yes, I am a Sox fan, but I do have respect for Torre as a great manager and a great man. To announce to the media that Torre's job rests on the ALDS is completely classless, but what else would you expect with the Stein run Yankees? I think Torre has more than deserved to have his job status kept behind closed doors. The man has won George many championships and kept his teams together in very rough times. Just classic Yankees and another reason why I can't stand the pinstripes.

Amen Brotha!!!

The Bronx is Burning Part Deux...

Newc
10-08-2007, 10:16 AM
ESPN - Bugged: Clemens would've taken teams off field - MLB (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007/news/story?id=3051642)

Maybe Clemens should just retire and play baseball on X-Box. That way he will never have to worry about the outdoors anymore.

Sureal
10-08-2007, 10:26 AM
What is his record in the post season anyway???

Newc
10-08-2007, 10:35 AM
I don't know, but in his stellar 2.1 inning showing he gave up 4 hits, 2 base on balls, 3 runs, all earned and only 1 strikeout....all this in 59 pitches.

I don't know about the rest of you but this guy is what we call in the financial markets world an incredible ROI.

Sureal
10-08-2007, 03:36 PM
These playoffs has been great for the teams that advanced but for fans of baseball...
Not so much.

Who wants to see the Rockies battle it out against the D-Backs... Yuck.

Newc
10-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Yea for real. MLB is praying that the Sox make the World Series.

Sureal
10-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Poor Torre. Maybe he will go to a team that appreciates him a little better...

Newc
10-09-2007, 09:19 AM
Should be a hell of a showdown between the Sox and Tribe. CC v. Beckett will be awesome to watch, these have got to be the two the writers had to decide between for the CY Young.

Lets just hope the Sox can be patient and make CC throw alot of pitches like he had done against the Yanks, getting into that bullpen will be crucial.

I think the Sox have the advantage with their lineup, but with two great pitchers like this going, anything can happen. This will be an amazing series to watch.

Newc
10-09-2007, 09:26 AM
By the way, I think Wedge has more than nailed down AL Manager of the Year. I was pretty surprised that he threw Byrd last night instead of going with CC and the probable win. You've gotta hand it to a guy that has the balls to do that and knows his club and staff well enough to pull the trigger on a decision like that. I would have been afraid to let the Yanks back into the series and gone with CC, but Wedge showed he really knew what he was doing out there...very impressive. Gutsy call....now we've gotta face a fully rested CC and Fausto....Great!

Sureal
10-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Exactly, we need to work counts against these guys and see where it goes. I'm not scared of their lineup at all. I'm scared of October. Weird things happen in this month in baseball.
I mean Rockies v D-Backs??? Who predicted that in April?

Our bats are heating up at the right time. Our bullpen is getting rested as well. So it will be interesting. This by no means will be a walk through. This will be a tough series, you can believe it...

Sureal
10-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Anybody watched that riveting NLCS game???

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...... ...

Newc
10-12-2007, 09:58 AM
I was really surprised by that game last night...I was really expecting a pitchers duel. I haven't seen Webb pitch all that much this year, but have seen his lines throughout the season, so I really didn't know if he was just having an off night or if the Rockies are really that hot. Regardless of what it was, with the Rocks takin game one in arizona they are set up very very well for the series win. To beat Webb in Arizona in game one has to give the Rocks the confidence to roll through this series.

Whichever AL team advances better not take them lightly.

Sureal
10-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Just tell me who wins because I can't stomach the NL unless one of the old school teams are in it.

In other words, I ain't watching it.

Newc
10-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Beckett deserves the Cy Young. Call me a homer all you want, but this guy has been the best pitcher in MLB this year. Another awesome outing giving our Sox a very important 1-0 lead!

Lets Go Sox!

IrishAlum1997
10-15-2007, 02:10 AM
How much has baseball fallen?

It took me a legitimate 5 minutes to find a postseason baseball game on the tv the other day. FOX? Nope. CBS? Nope. NBC? Nope. ABC? You guessed it, uh...no.

Turner Billionaire Society is where you have to turn to watch the NLCS? This is second to hockey on Vs.

I can get Arena Football and MLS on the major networks, but postseason baseball has to wait until the last series of the postseason?

How a beautiful sport has fallen.

Newc
10-15-2007, 10:24 AM
The ALCS is on Fox, the NLCS is on TBS. I think TBS did a pretty good job of broadcasting the Division Series games. It was nice to hear Tony Gwynn doing a little commentary, he may only be on TBS but I would take him over Joe Buck on Fox anyday!!

Newc
10-15-2007, 10:33 AM
By the way... Clevland's 7 run 11th nearly gave me a heart attack the other night. The Sox hold them to 6 runs through 10 innings, then give up 7 in the 11th?? Haha, you have got to be kidding me!

Oh well, here we go with Dice-K in a huge pressure situation. After the Tribe put on that spanking the Sox absolutely need to respond here tonight. With the next three being in Cleveland, I really think we need to take this game tonight. Its not a must win, but if the Tribe gets to Dice-K pretty well I think it sends a scare through the Sox organization since you would think Dice-K should get the win over Westbrook. This game could very well be a momentum determining game...let hope Daisuke can get it done.

Lets Go Sox!!

Sureal
10-15-2007, 12:33 PM
The ALCS is on Fox, the NLCS is on TBS. I think TBS did a pretty good job of broadcasting the Division Series games. It was nice to hear Tony Gwynn doing a little commentary, he may only be on TBS but I would take him over Joe Buck on Fox anyday!!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Sureal
10-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Dice K better show up today. I don't want these guys getting all types of momentum. Please end it as soon as possible!!! Our 3 and 4 is starting to heat up. Hey no more Gagne for the rest of the season. Goodness. Until he learns how to change speeds and hit his target a little better he is better suited to play Double AA somewhere.

Go Sox!!!

Newc
10-15-2007, 12:49 PM
I agree, Gagne needs to just sit on the bench and continue to look like Seth Rogan.

As for Dice-K, he right now is throwing the biggest game as far as strategy wise for the Sox. If he can go out, put in a solid 7 innings, give the pen a little rest and get the W then the Sox are in a very very good position. Now if he goes out, gets knocked around and we have to throw guys from the pen, then there is no other option than to throw Beckett in game 4 and hope that he is rested enough that he can go very deep into the game and give the pen a very much needed few innings off.

I don't want to seem dramatic here or anything, but this game may be the biggest of the series.

Newc
10-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Alright...well, Congrats to the Rockies, that was a hell of a display they put on there. I have never seen a team on fire like that before, absolutely a pleasure to watch them run down the NL leaders.

On to the Sox/Tribe. I don't really know what to say. The Indians are just playing solid baseball and the Red Sox are acting like they should advance just because they are the Sox. Funny thing though in this game called baseball you actually have to come ready to play and win. Bases loaded no out and you get nothing out of it??? Now I can't take anything away from Westbrook because he basically made us look like crap last night, but he's not a guy you go up there hoping to get runs against, we should have hit him.

Classic Sox for you though. They better get their shit together and get this thing tied back up tonight or the Rockies will start making their hotel accomidations in Cleveland.

Sureal
10-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Papi is hurt. Those double plays are killing us, AGAIN!!! All year it's been the same thing. Very frustrating...

Newc
10-16-2007, 11:35 AM
I think we should all just bunt. Its not like we're getting the ball out of the infield anyway and turning two is much more difficult when bunting....hey we may be able to extend innings that way.

Sureal
10-16-2007, 11:52 AM
You know what my fellow citizen, a guy who is a Sox fan (he lives down in Plymouth) said the same thing in regards to bunting. It makes since. But no let's swing for the fences and hit into a double play. Sickening

Sureal
10-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Well. What should we do during the offseason? As the players clean their lockers Friday...

Newc
10-17-2007, 11:02 AM
I don't know what to say about this series at all. Congratulations to the Indian's players and managers, they have really done a great job of playing fundamental baseball.

Now, I don't want to be one of those coulda, shoulda, woulda people, but I can't help wonder how this game would have turned out if Wake hadn't tried to go after that ball back up the middle. It looked as if an inning ending double play was in order, but you can never assume the DP.

I guess we have to hope Beckett can come out and throw another gem, Schill comes in and throws one of his postseason miracles and Beckett comes back on short rest and throws another absolute gem. Other than that I see a Cleveland v. Colorado Series, which by the way MLB has to be crying about. But the reality is that both teams have earned it and played great baseball. If Cleveland ends up putting away Boston I think they will have asserted that they are in fact the best team from the AL this year, can't blame anything on flukes, they just play good ball.

Sureal
10-17-2007, 11:12 AM
I agree. I know I'll be rooting for Cleveland in that series. I don't want to see Colorado win a World Series yet. They haven't suffered enough...

mlcspinner
10-17-2007, 11:21 AM
I will be on the Cleveland bangwagon only if they beat the soxs

Newc
10-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Not so fast my friend!

Back to Fenway now, with Schilling needing to pull one of his patented miracle postseason wins.

I don't understand how we can hit one of the best pitchers in the game and do all kinds of damage but get blown away by Westbrook and Byrd....baffling!

Oh well, Josh Beckett is an absoulte monster and I was hoping that he would have been able to pitch game 6 and game 7, then the Sox would have a chance at the World Series, but I guess that won't be happening. Lets hope our staff can pick it up and that the bats stay awake and do some damage at home.

Lets Go Sox!!

Newc
10-19-2007, 09:48 AM
"I don't get paid to make those (expletive) decisions," Beckett said of Peck's anthem appearance. "She's a friend of mine, so it doesn't bother me at all. Thanks for flying one of my friends to the game so she could watch it for free."

-Beckett on his ex singing the national anthem.

Maybe its just me, but I absolutely love the fire that this guy brings to the team, every championship team needs to have a guy like this that can back it up as well. I especially love when he walks behind the mound after he has thrown a bad pitch or let one get away and proceeds to curse at himself. Oh baseball...how I love the headcases!!

Sureal
10-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Yeah he is quickly becoming one of my favorite athletes just on intensity alone. Guy cussed out a fan while he was going to the dugout... Schilling needs to get it out of his behind and act like he can pitch tomorrow.

Still not convinced. I don't want to get my hopes up to have them smashed again by this team.

Newc
10-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Ok..I have a quick question here that I have always wondered about and obviously I am very biased so I can't rationally break this down myself.

My question is in regards to MVP awards and moreover the Cy Young award this season. I for one believe that Beckett more than deserves the award this year as the only 20 game winner and such, but understand that there is much debate about who should get it. Therefore my question is this. You often hear the baseball experts talk about how an MVP can very much be determined by which guy takes his team to the playoffs. Especially in the NL this year the race was between Fielder, Rollins and Holliday, with Fielder getting written off rather quickly when his team faded away from even a glance at the postseason and the debate coming down to whether or not Rollins or Holliday could get their team into the playoffs. With getting to the postseason such a huge determining factor in who gets the award, why is play during the postseason dropped from consideration on who gets these awards?? Both Rollins and Holliday made the playoffs, with obviously Holliday's team rolling to the World Series, but there is still talk about who between the two will pick up the award. The same goes for the CyYoung in the AL. With Beckett and CC facing off against each other twice, I would think that the postseason should also be factored into who should get the award as long as getting your team into the playoff is weighted so.

Like I said, obviously this came up because I am biased toward the outcome of this award, but I also thing that rational fans out there can't deny that my boy Beckett was incredible. I would like to hear what others have to say on this, and not just the Beckett v. CC debate but the whole why getting to the post-season means so much for an award but not what is done in the post-season.

Sureal
10-22-2007, 04:01 PM
FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - BoSox destined for failure? Not anymore (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7359894?MSNHPHMA)

Revel in it guys. One day we will be able to revel about ND victories...