PDA

View Full Version : Holliday was out...

ACamp1900
10-02-2007, 01:03 AM
what a horrible call... I always said baseball is one of those rare sports where HORRID calls rarely decide a big game... 110 years of MLB you can count on one hand the amount flagrant obviously bad calls that straight up decided the game... tonight can be added to that list... that's hard to take if you're a Padres fan...

GoshenGipper
10-02-2007, 01:56 AM
what a horrible call... I always said baseball is one of those rare sports where HORRID calls rarely decide a big game... 110 years of MLB you can count on one hand the amount flagrant obviously bad calls that straight up decided the game... tonight can be added to that list... that's hard to take if you're a Padres fan...

True, but it was still a great game and how often does Tim Mclellan make a bad call?

Not very often, he's one of the best upms in baseball if not the best.

FYI he was the ump behind the plate for the Dammy Sosa corked bat incident and the George Brett pine tar tirade.

GoshenGipper
10-02-2007, 01:59 AM
I don't think it matters too much anyway in the long run, yes the Padres got screwed, and they have a right to be mad, but it looked like the Rockies got hosed by an earlier missed HR call. Either way both teams were going to be gased after a game like that and then the winner was going to have to go on the road across the country to face a red hot and rested Phillies team that has their rotation all set up.

Sureal
10-02-2007, 09:27 AM
I fell asleep after the 11th. What happened?

GoshenGipper
10-02-2007, 03:32 PM
The Padres put up two runs in the top of the 13th, then the Rockies followed with 3 runs in the bottom of the 13th against Hoffman. I believe at least 2 of the Rockies runs came with two outs as well.

SillyIrish
10-02-2007, 03:33 PM
I would be a little pissed if I was a Padres fan about the call, but giving up the two runs prior to that in the B13 there is just no excuse. Trevor Hoffman may have the most saves in MLB history but he never comes up big in the big spot.

Plus the chin slide was awesome.

Sureal
10-02-2007, 03:42 PM
What is the controversy about with Holiday being out?

SillyIrish
10-02-2007, 03:49 PM
It was a bang bang play at the plate. Holiday went in head first and Barret blocked the plate preventing Holiday's left hand from touching, but Barret didn't catch the ball either. After Holiday stopped sliding with his chin a few feet from the plate Barret picked the ball back up and went to tag him, but the ump then gave the safe signal.

johnnd05
10-02-2007, 03:50 PM
What is the controversy about with Holiday being out?

Here's the video - fast-forward to about a minute in (for some reason I can't embed it):

ESPN Video Beta (http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?&brand=null&videoId=3045730&n8pe6c=2)

He CLEARLY didn't touch the plate. That said, it sure didn't seem like Hoffman was going to hold on anyway ...

Sureal
10-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Like you said Hoffman choked so oh well. I wanted the Rockies to win anyway

stonebreakerwasgod
10-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Oh well, I'd rather see the umpires make mistakes than having replays make the game longer by another 20 min.