PDA

View Full Version : Some Sports Questions

Sureal
08-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Yes I am a big sports fan but there are some lingering questions I always had. There are some stats that I don't know how they are calculated. There are some stats that I don't know what they are. Here are a couple of main questions:

How is the ERA calculated? 6000 v bucks

How is the slugging pct. calculated? 6000 vbucks

How is passing effeciancy calculated? 6000 vbucks

In hockey what is the +/- stat? (Not a hockey fan) 1000vbucks

I am one of the most knowledgable basketball people you would find. Heck I coach basketball. Yet I never knew what team rebound meant. 1000 vbuks
Help me out with some of these questions. (with a link or something belivable) LOL

Be a friend...

Sureal
08-29-2007, 03:31 PM
I will donate some vbucks for some answers...

CLEARWALL
08-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Yes I am a big sports fan but there are some lingering questions I always had. There are some stats that I don't know how they are calculated. There are some stats that I don't know what they are. Here are a couple of main questions:

How is the ERA calculated?

How is the slugging pct. calculated?

How is passing effeciancy calculated?

In hockey what is the +/- stat? (Not a hockey fan)

I am one of the most knowledgable basketball people you would find. Heck I coach basketball. Yet I never knew what team rebound meant.

Help me out with some of these questions.

Be a friend...

1. Earned runs * 9 / IP. Basically this stat is telling you how many runs a pitcher will give up in a complete game. So a guy with a 3.00 ERA gives up 3 earned runs per 9 innings pitched.

2. Number of completions / number of attempts.

3. You get a plus for every time you are on the ice and your team scores a goal. You get a minus for every time you are on the ice full-strength and your team gives up a goal. You dont get a - for penalty kills and the like. Only even strength situations.

4. I could be wrong(i dont really do BBall) but I think a team rebound is where a guy will initially get hands on the ball but doesnt actually end up with it, but another teammate does. Again, I have no clue, but thatd be my guess.

Sureal
08-29-2007, 04:04 PM
The ERA Question and the plus minus question is Correct.

Newc
08-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Slugging Percentage:
1. Take official at-bats
2. Add up total bases
3. Divide total bases by offical at-bats

Passing Efficency (if what you mean is the NCAA QB rating goes like this):
(100 * Completion %) + (8.4 * Yds per att) + (330 * Td %) - (200 * Int %)

Sureal
08-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Slugging Percentage:
1. Take official at-bats
2. Add up total bases
3. Divide total bases by offical at-bats

Passing Efficency (if what you mean is the NCAA QB rating goes like this):
(100 * Completion %) + (8.4 * Yds per att) + (330 * Td %) - (200 * Int %)

Slugging is correct

For the passing efficency what is the difference between the NCAA and NFL? If there is a difference...

IrishSanDiego
08-29-2007, 04:47 PM
4. I could be wrong(i dont really do BBall) but I think a team rebound is where a guy will initially get hands on the ball but doesnt actually end up with it, but another teammate does. Again, I have no clue, but thatd be my guess.

I think a team rebound is when the ball bounces out of bounds

Sureal
08-29-2007, 04:49 PM
I think a team rebound is when the ball bounces out of bounds

You are correct.

goldandblue
08-29-2007, 07:13 PM
all the vbucks taken??

goldandblue
08-29-2007, 07:16 PM
To determine a pass-efficiency rating, multiply a passer's yards per attempt by 8.4; add the number obtained by multiplying pass completions per attempt by 100; add the number obtained by multiplying touchdowns per attempt by 330; and subtract the number obtained by multiplying interceptions per attempt by 200.

The NCAA formula is as follows:

ER = TY/PA*8.4+PC/PA*100+TD/PA*330-I/PA*200,
where TY=total yards; PC=pass completions; PA=pass attempts; TD=touchdowns; I=Interceptions; ER=Efficiency Rating.

Factoring out 1/PA leaves:
ER = (TY*8.4+PC*100+TD*330-I*200)/PA

The NFL Computation is as follows:

T = [((100 * PC/PA) - 30.0) * 0.05] + [((TY/PA) - 3.0) * 0.25] + [20 * TD/PA] + [2.375 - (25 * I/PA)]

ER = T/6.0 * 100