PDA

View Full Version : Possible Yankee Trade

SillyIrish
07-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Yankees to get infielder Betemit from L.A. for reliever Proctor
ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 31, 2007, 12:56 PM ET

The Dodgers and Yankees have agreed in principle on a trade that would send reliever Scott Proctor to the Dodgers for infielder Wilson Betemit, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The Dodgers, who have a 5.61 bullpen ERA since the All-Star break, have been in on a number of trade discussions involving relievers but zeroed in on Proctor over the last 24 hours.

The Yankees view Betemit as another first-base/DH/bench option for this year, and a potential third-base replacement for Alex Rodriguez next year.

Betemit hit .231 with 10 homers and 26 RBIs with Los Angeles, which acquired him from the Atlanta Braves in a deadline deal last season. He played mostly third base with the Dodgers but is unlikely to see much time there with Alex Rodriguez in the midst of an MVP-type season for New York.

Yankees manager Joe Torre has complained about the significant dropoff offensively from his starters to reserves, and Betemit could be the answer. The 25-year-old switch-hitter also can play shortstop and second base and is batting .320 (8-for-25) as a pinch hitter this season. He had pinch-hit homers in consecutive games at Atlanta in May.

Proctor developed into one of Torre's favorite relievers last season, going 6-4 with a 3.52 ERA in an AL-high 83 games. It was the second-most appearances by a pitcher in club history.

The excitable right-hander is 2-5 with a 3.81 ERA and four blown saves in 52 games this year. He finished off a rough June by burning some of his equipment on the field at Yankee Stadium after a loss to Oakland, and has a 2.84 ERA in July.

He gives Dodgers manager Grady Little another option to get the ball to Takashi Saito, who has converted 26 of 29 save opportunities. Los Angeles was in a virtual tie with Arizona for the NL West lead entering play Tuesday.

The Yankees were eight back of Boston in the AL East and four behind Cleveland in the wild-card race before Tuesday's games. They haven't missed the playoffs since 1994 -- when the postseason was wiped out by a strike.

This guy will be nothing but a bench player, notice how ESPN puts in a potential 3B replacement for AROD after this season. Yeah Right.

Newc
07-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Sounds like a heck of an insurance policy to me.

johnnd05
07-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Blech. Wasn't our bullpen bad enough before? And is this guy REALLY the answer to potentially losing A-Rod? I mean, it's not like he's some hot young prospect with tons of "upside" (27 yrs. old, 4 yrs. in the league ...).

Is it just me, or is this one hard to understand?

SillyIrish
07-31-2007, 06:41 PM
I would have to agree with you on this one, but Proctor has been on and off this year and hasn't really pitched well. I'm sure they tried trading Farnsworth but nobody was going to take him. Chamberlain will soon get his call up and will be coming out of the pen, this kid has dynamic stuff.

johnnd05
07-31-2007, 08:59 PM
I would have to agree with you on this one, but Proctor has been on and off this year and hasn't really pitched well. I'm sure they tried trading Farnsworth but nobody was going to take him. Chamberlain will soon get his call up and will be coming out of the pen, this kid has dynamic stuff.

So wait, you're saying there are actually some YOUNG guys - and pitchers at that - who are going to contribute to this team? Shows how closely I've been following things ... gosh, it makes me feel like it's the mid-1990s all over again. Too bad Hughes's start on Saturday won't be broadcast out here on the left coast - I'll probably have to watch Barry F***ing Bonds again.

SillyIrish
08-01-2007, 03:56 PM
So wait, you're saying there are actually some YOUNG guys - and pitchers at that - who are going to contribute to this team? Shows how closely I've been following things ... gosh, it makes me feel like it's the mid-1990s all over again. Too bad Hughes's start on Saturday won't be broadcast out here on the left coast - I'll probably have to watch Barry F***ing Bonds again.

Check out the Chamberlain thread, he will be getting a call soon.

Sureal
08-01-2007, 04:41 PM

I think they are doing what should have been done a while ago. They are letting go of money that is tied up with someone who is too inconsistent. The way the 'pause, deep breath' Yankees (hard not to call them the Empire) was good in the mid to late 90's was by building up their farm system. Plain and simple. I look for them to get back to doing that and this was a step in the right direction. They just wanted to unload that contract

SillyIrish
08-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Proctor was only making 450,000 this year so it's not a money thing. In the end the Yanks wanted Betimet and also tried to get him last year apparently.

johnnd05
08-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Looks like Betemit just homered to help us get out of the hole Clemens dug for us.

mlcspinner
08-02-2007, 02:29 PM
8 - 8 in the 2nd thats nuts