View Full Version : Boston Red Sox--2nd half of the Season

Pages : [1] 2

Sureal
07-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Being pre-emptive that is all...

Any predictions fellas?

Sureal
07-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Notre Dame Irish fans that are also Red Sox fans sweating it out and dying multiple deaths during the second half thread...

Newc
07-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Prediction: Sox dominate second half with Manny and Papi finally coming alive. Sox finish season with 105 wins, win AL East (ofcourse) with a 15 game lead on second place Jays.

Oh and ofcourse that little World Series Title would come in the second half too.

mlcspinner
07-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Prediction: Sox dominate second half with Manny and Papi finally coming alive. Sox finish season with 105 wins, win AL East (ofcourse) with a 15 game lead on second place Jays.

Oh and ofcourse that little World Series Title would come in the second half too.

Ditto

Newc
07-07-2007, 11:51 AM
You should work that for some kind of endorsement deal....think of the $$$.

Newc
07-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Good way to kick off the second half, especially against a division foe.

What do you guys think about the whole Papi siuation? I knew something had to be really wrong with the way that he was swinging the bat, he was all upper body, which is why he wasn't getting the power we are all used to. I don't know much about torn meniscuses so if anyone has any input I would love to hear it. From the sounds of it he will just play the rest of the season on the knee and have it repaired in the offseason, so I guess that it isn't to horrible of an injury.

Manny looked good though and I really can't say enough about Pedroia, his defense is insane and he isn't too shabby at the plate either. Lugo remains a little of a concern still, I really hope he gets it going, I don't know what it is about the shortstops we bring in, but they seem to struggle right off the bat (kinda makes me wish we held on to Cabrera, I really liked how he played).

As far as the second half goes anyone have anymore predictions? Will Ellsbury make any apperances of any lenght? Any trades that we need or should make?

Lets Go Sox!! 2007 World Series Champions!

Sureal
07-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Sorry guys, I been away...

When is Schill due to come back again?

Didn't get to see much of the perfect game while I was busy save for Baseball Tonight. So how did we look in this series?

Sureal
07-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Good game by Gabbard!!! Man do we got some young arms...

Newc
07-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Gotta give it to Gabbard big time for last night's performance. The Sox are really looking good for the next several years in the pitching department, just wait for Lester and Bucholtz to get some more press, they are going to be incredible major leaguers.

Hopefully Manny and Papi will continue their dominance at the plate. Since the all-star game they are hitting the ball very well and putting it out of the park as well.

And to finish my rant off, I can't say enough about Pedroia. I absoulutly LOVE to watch this kid play. His defense is right there with the very best in the pros and his plate awareness is awesome. Dustin will have a very long very productive career in Boston, the question will be how many rings can he place on those fingers??

Sureal
07-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Yep. Here we friggin' go again. Down to 8 stinkin games. I am sick of this crap every flippin year. Wake makes me sick...

I tell ya. I'm stickin to football for now on. These guys are going to make me put a foot in my tv.

mlcspinner
07-18-2007, 03:12 PM
don't worry the sox have been playing .500 ball the last month, they will not keep playing that way.

Newc
07-18-2007, 03:55 PM
I just don't understand how you can get spanked that badly by the Royals when we have a seasoned vet on the mound and they are throwing a kid out there for his first start. I really don't know what to say, its a shame when you have to worry about a huge division lead in order to get into the postseason. Three weeks ago I really believed that this team was able to blow right through the post-season, now I am much much more cautious.

mlcspinner
07-18-2007, 03:59 PM
it's only mid July the lead will go back up and then come back down, There is a lot of baseball yet. We have the pitching and the Yankees don't, that is what post season baseball is all about ... pitching

Newc
07-18-2007, 04:09 PM
I totally agree, but its not the Yanks that I fear, its detroit and anaheim or los angeles or los angeles of anaheim or whatever they are going by these days (maybe acamp can help us out there).

I'm not sure if the Sox look so good because of the struggling AL East teams or what, but compared to the other top AL contenders we haven't been so hot.

mlcspinner
07-19-2007, 08:14 AM
will someone tell me that they will win tonight, the odds are with them to win I hope

Newc
07-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Haha, I think the sox just enjoy tormenting their fans. I predict that we win the division by one game just so that 5 years comes off my lifespan.

We really need a big series here against the White Sox just so that we can get the confidence going once again and get rolling, I really want to end the season with the best record in the bigs.

Sureal
07-20-2007, 09:47 AM
4-2 White Sox

No comment.

Newc
07-20-2007, 10:08 AM
This is one wicked slump we are in....I'm with you Sureal, I am speechless.

Sureal
07-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Spinner needs to say something because I can't even watch Sportscenter at this point.

mlcspinner
07-20-2007, 09:35 PM
:curse: what a way to start the game jd drew hits a home run and they get the :censored: call wrong! screw peace and love I what a WIN :banghead2 :pityno: :soapbox:

mlcspinner
07-21-2007, 06:15 AM
:meditate: Like a said, they will pull them selfs out of this. good pitching + good hitting = win :baseball: :bigsmile:

Newc
07-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Haha....ok ok...as a fellow sox fan you know we are prone to overreaction. These past two games we have looked like the red sox that I know we can be, lets hope we keep the mo.

By the way, gotta love Coco and Lugo gettin into the mix recently.

bostonirish1908
07-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Coco has been really comin out these past few months and is really playing past expectation, and lugo needed to breakout sometime this year or he might become a career pinch runner, nice game tonight Garrard had a really solid game and I really think they are making there way out of there "slump" and with no time to spare

mlcspinner
07-22-2007, 07:26 AM
Who overreacts ? :) If you think about it any team would be happy with a 8 game lead

anybody know anything about what is going one with lester? you don't here about him to much lately

Newc
07-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Last I heard about Lester was that Theo and Tito really want to take it slow and make sure the kid is 100% comfortable and ready. The Sox are in the perfect position here with Gabbard pitching so well and Schill looking good and likely to make his return in the near future that there really is no need to rush the kid, though I would love to see him pitching in the bigs. The problem is, if he does get called up there really is no place for him but the pen, and I doubt the organization wants him changing his routine like that.

Who knows, maybe sometime down the line if the Sox have a good lead we will go to a six man rotation in order to give our guys some more rest for the post season, that would be a good place to fit Lester in.

By the way, with all the Lester talk and Gabbard showing that he can handle the bigs, does anyone think we re-sign Schill at the end of the season??

Sureal
07-23-2007, 07:51 AM
We better not re-sign Schill. I don't want to be Empire East in the line of signing washed up pitchers. Get the young guys some burn. We are going to have a dominant pitching staff in the coming years.

Theo, if you ever happen to read this thread:

Do not re-sign this pitcher. Look for a young power bat to sign.

Who is up for Free Agency any way?

mlcspinner
07-23-2007, 08:04 AM
I just heard on weei that Lester has been called up. He is going into the starting rotation

Sureal
07-23-2007, 08:25 AM
In the place of whom?

mlcspinner
07-23-2007, 09:55 AM
snyder went to the pen

the new starting line up is
Beckett
matsuzaka
wakefield
gabbard
lester

Newc
07-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Looks like I answered a little prematurely.

ESPN - Red Sox bring P Lester back, to start vs. Indians - MLB (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2945267)

Tavarez will go back to the pen which is good because he can really help in those long relief situations. I can't wait to see how Lester does after such a long battle, he has truely earned this opportunity.

Go Sox!

Sureal
07-23-2007, 10:08 AM
When is Schill coming back? Once he does Gabbard goes down.

mlcspinner
07-23-2007, 10:10 AM
that is going to be a very tough call. Gabbard is pitching light out right now

Newc
07-23-2007, 11:19 AM
I know really...how can you send down a kid who has gone 4-0? I don't know how they approach that when the time comes, but do you put the kid in the pen and save him for the end of the season? Schill will most definitely reclaim his spot, but if he doesn't come back strong I won't be surprised to hear some calling for Gabbard to appear again.

mlcspinner
07-23-2007, 11:26 AM
you have to give schill his spot back but if he struggles he is back on the dl or something. It is nice to have this problem, to many starting pitchers

Sureal
07-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Sorry. I meant send down to the bullpen..

I haven't decided who to send down to Pawtucket...

Sureal
07-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Lester did well last night. I have one concern with the offense as it has been jacking us up the whole year.

WE GOTTA GET RUNNERS OVER!!!

I don't know what it is but man it seems like the same thing year in and year out. But other than that good game...

Newc
07-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Can't say enough about Lester, what an amazing kid. Any team would be lucky to have a kid like that on their team.

Our rotation is going to be insane now...and with the hitting coming around I don't see a team that is better than the sox.

Sureal
07-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Dude, you have to be the most optimistic Red Sox fan I ever heard. You don't see the impending doom????!!!!
LOLOLOL

You would be the guy that would see an atomic bomb about to drop on top of you and say well there is a .00001 percent chance of survival. I'll take it!!! Kudos for helping the rest of us doom and gloomers...

mlcspinner
07-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Can't say enough about Lester, what an amazing kid. Any team would be lucky to have a kid like that on their team.

Our rotation is going to be insane now...and with the hitting coming around I don't see a team that is better than the sox.

I'll take some of that kool aid :cheers:

Newc
07-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Haha...come on guys, who has a better team than the Sox, honestly. We have an very solid rotation, especially with Schill coming back rested and ready to go, Lester showing that he is ready for the bigs, Daisuke finally calming down and really throwing some gems, Beckett continuing his dominance and Wakefield who through the years has proven to be a solid rotation anchor.

Then we have our impressive pen. Tavarez returns to the pen to solidify the long relief position, Oki blowing everyone's expectations away and of course one of the best closers in baseball with Paps. When you've got the pitching down, the games begin to fall your way. And its not like we don't have a strong lineup. Manny is finally beginning to hit like we know he can, Coco is absolutly on fire, Lugo is beginning to come around, Lowell continues to be a force in the lineup with Youk and Tek contributing nicely as well. The only real disappointment that I can find with the Sox is JD Drew, and to be honest I think every single team would trade their problems for ours, being that our right fielder isn't performing all that great at the plate.

I'd love to know which team you guys think is all-around better than the Sox this year.

Newc
07-24-2007, 12:17 PM
And yes.....I could survive an atomic bomb. You've got to remember, I'm a Sox fan, if that hasn't killed me yet nothing can.

Sureal
07-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Bam!!!

Good job Dice-K!!! This is what we pay you for.

Ok our bats need to come alive. The pitching and defense is what is keeping us in these games. I understand pitching and d win rings but it will be nice if our 3-4-5 would get hot.
Anyways, I will take it. Who has the ball tonight?

Newc
07-25-2007, 10:04 AM
That was an incredible game. Two of the game's premier starters going at it and you've got to give it to Dice-K for coming out on top in that one. Shutting out the tribe is by far no easy task and the Sox staff came together and pitched a hell of a game. I'm not overly worried about only getting one off of C.C., he is very hot right now and pitching extremely well, I'm just stoked to see that our staff can hold onto a game when the O isn't putting up big numbers, thats something that the Sox of the past have struggled with and kept us from going deep in the postseason.

Beckett goes tonight and thanks to his fellow staff now has the chance to be the winningest pitcher so far in the bigs.

Sureal
07-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Like I said we can't friggin' HIT!!!! It doesn't help when Crisp doesn't know where the ball is at while he is running the bases. What a PUTZ!!!
1-0 Tribe

Newc
07-26-2007, 10:09 AM
I can't believe Crisp didn't hustle that one out. I don't know if he thought the ball got thru or what, but that was pathetic and really makes the Sox look bad. I can't believe that.

Newc
07-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Lets hope Gabbard can keep the tribe under control and the Sox better get to Lee!

mlcspinner
07-27-2007, 08:23 AM
red sox win yanks lose

Sureal
07-27-2007, 08:28 AM
7.5 up. I am just encouraged that the offense woke up.

Question: Do we pick some one up before the deadline?

mlcspinner
07-27-2007, 08:31 AM
I don't think so , with Schill coming back I think our pitching is set maybe a backup out fielder, but who is going to take willy mo?

Sureal
07-27-2007, 11:24 AM
They are talking Jermaine Dye. I don't know who we get for Wily Mo. If we can sucker somebody in picking him up...

Newc
07-27-2007, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Willy go, not sure who you would get for him, a minor leaguer or two, not sure if that is even worth it heading into the latter stages of the season, bench players are always a nice thing to have in order to give your guys a rest. However, if Willy does go, then Ellsbury will definitely be with the club for Sept and October for sure (which I would love to see).

To be honest the Sox really don't need to make any moves, it wouldn't benefit our club in the short or long run, so there is really no point. With Gabbard, Lester, Ellsbury and Bucholtz showing major potential I think Theo really was right not to sell off the young talent to get a veteran rental.

This is my favorite time of the baseball year thought, I love the strategy and all the maybes that come along with the trade deadline. If I were Theo I would fish Willy out there, there are alot of clubs that are looking for the power bat, and if Dunn is a hot trade commodity then Strike Out Hit it Out Willy should have some value too.

Its a wonderful feeling not to have holes that you need to firm up heading into the playoff runs...this team is solid.

Newc
07-27-2007, 12:44 PM
"Red Sox: The Bobby Kielty rumors persist in Boston, where The Boston Herald reported the Red Sox could trade recently designated for assignment right-hander Joel Pineiro to Oakland, after finding a suitor for Wily Mo Pena. A report in The Boston Globe indicates the Red Sox could be pursuing bigger fish. Boston is interested in Wigginton, according to The Globe. Other names include Teixeira, Jermaine Dye and Dodgers prospect Andy LaRoche."

^ From MLB.com.

There is no way we go after Tex, Dye would be too expensive as well, with no real need for him. Wigginton would be an interesting pick-up...kind of a jack of all trades kinda guy that could get some quality playing time filling in for Drew, Lowell and Youk. That could be very valuable for the second half as we could be confidant that we have a compitant replacement to keep our starters legs fresh. Does anyone know much about Bobby Kielty, I have to admitt that I am not all that familiar with him. Should be an intersting week.

mlcspinner
07-27-2007, 08:14 PM
the Rays are so young I wonder if they keep them together what they will be like in 2-3 years

Sureal
07-31-2007, 12:04 PM
The Official Site of The Boston Red Sox: News: Boston Red Sox News (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070731&content_id=2119824&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos)

let's see what happens

mlcspinner
07-31-2007, 12:06 PM
another bat and move willy mo I like it

Sureal
07-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Agreed. We don't need another closer or arms IMO. It is all about bats...

Newc
07-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Yea, I don't really see the need for Gagne, I think Paps, Oki, Tavarez, Timlin and crew have the pen more than nailed down. Dye however would be an interesting prospect, not quite sure how that would all pan out though. Is it worth giving up Willy for a three month rental? I doubt Dye would re-sign with the club at the end of the year since we have our outfield pretty well set up right now.

However, as the pesimist digs deeper in me, if Theo does pull the trigger in order to sign Dye, does that mean that he will look to move Manny in the offseason. With only one year left on his contract, will Theo look to get some young talent to replace him rather than taking the chances of losing him to free agency or ponnying up the dough to keep him (ala Damon)? I have thought for a while that once free agency hit Manny would look for a new home, not that he doesn't like Boston, but I just get the feeling that he would like to try a new home.

Therefore, the Sox could offer Dye a two or three year contract to play left and develop the youth of the Sox. However at 33 Dye is no youngster and is most likely on the down slide of his career.

Ultimatly I see Manny getting traded in the offseason for some youngsters, Coco moving to left, Ellsbury coming up and playing Center with Drew remaining in right. Third base will have to be addressed in the offseason as Lowell, though I love him to death there at third, can't be the power producer that we will need him to be for long. I don't see too many player changes, though I do see Schilling not being resigned and Lester and Gabbard becoming full time rotation guys, making it Beckett, Matsusaka, Wakefield, Lester and Gabbard.

Sorry, for getting way off topic there, but pretty much to sum up my ideas, I'm not so sure about bringing on Dye and getting rid of Willy for a 3 month rental. I really have a feeling that Manny will get dealt, which is a blow to our power and run production and though Willy isn't the best guy at the plate, he can hit for power and drive guys in, so having him as a fourth outfielder may be beneficial to the club. I can't imagine Theo wanting to sign Dye to any kind of deal that would keep him in Boston as he is 33 and we have outfielders in our system that are ready for the major league level.

I just don't know what I would do if I were Theo here, I think the Sox are going to go through a big offseason this year, it will be very interesting to see the moves that are made.

Sureal
07-31-2007, 12:45 PM
If Manny gets dealt I don't see us getting much back. How old is Manny? How many more years are left on that contract? We need to get young hitter and Wily Mo is not the answer. We need to look at the Marlins. Do they have Cabrera locked up? I have been saying for years that he is one of the best young hitters in the game. I don't know what his contract looks like. As for arms we are all set. Ellsbury takes Crisp job. Crisp is gone after this season IMO.

(Should have never let O. Cabrera leave) Lugo may be on the block as well.

Newc
07-31-2007, 12:59 PM
So totally true about Cabrera, I knew we would regret that move once he was gone, though I will admit that I thought Renteria was going to be a monster on the Sox, I think he deserved more time to get acclimated to Boston, we panicked and overreacted there on that one.

I'm surprised you think that Coco will be gone, do you see just a straight up trade or will the Sox be responsible for picking up some salary once again?

I do think we can get some quality young guys for Manny, after this season TONS of teams will be salivating at the prospect of getting a power bat, the Sox can and will definitely use this down year in power to their advantage with dealing Manny. I don't see us getting Cabrera from Florida, I think they want to hold on to their kids, which includes Hanley, and build around them. Though I think you are on the right track with a power third baseman, I think that is in our top three things that NEEDS to be addressed this offseason.

Sureal, if Manny and Coco are both gone at the end of the season who do you see taking over in left? And yes, I too would love to move Lugo, was never really high on him from the beginning, but maybe he too needs time to adjust, he does seem to be coming around. I wonder if there are any young shortstops out there that we could nab with a Manny or Coco trade or just pick up via free agency.

I agree that our arms are set as well...that may be one of the best feelings ever knowing that our staff is solid. You know your team has a strong bright future when you aren't sweating losing Schilling.

Sureal
07-31-2007, 01:06 PM
I see a trade for Coco. I need to see contract numbers to make a good judgement. I just don't see how we keep Lugo with that bat that he has. Terrible.

Outfield:
Ellsbury
Drew
Player traded for Crisp

3rd:
Lowell
Short
Player traded or picked up via Free Agency
Second
Pedoria
First
Youk

Newc
07-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Sureal, you are probably right that Coco and Lugo should be dealt, I just hope we can find a competant SS to fill in. It would probably be in our best interest to try to aquire an already proven guy to plug in there. SS is one of those positions where it makes sense to pay the bucks to get a quality guy.

As far as third goes, I really think there are two very good youngsters out there that Boston should look to aquire. Evan Longoria from Tampa Bay and Ian Stewart from the Colorado Rockies. Both kids have shown to have a good amount of power and have a steady glove. They are both currently in the minors but are expected to make their debuts within the next year. I believe that Lowell has one year left on his contract which works out perfectly in order to get one of these guys acclimated with the club. With Pedroia at second, Youk at first, and who knows what will go on with short we have a pretty young infield, with the addition of a young third baseman this infield could really gel together and have many successful years together.

I really hope Drew comes around, we need him to be a big time producer. If he can play up to his potential he could be a very dangerous guy. I wonder who is available to play left. Would you try to secure Dye for a couple years to plug into left?

Sureal
07-31-2007, 01:47 PM
No I wouldn't he is getting too old. Just hire him for mercernary duties then relieve him as soon as the season is done.

Sureal
07-31-2007, 04:01 PM
WHAT!!!!

WE LET KEVIN GABBARD GO?????? For GAGNE?
WHY???????

Theo got some splainin' to do....

Newc
07-31-2007, 04:48 PM
Wow...ok, not so sure what to think of this trade. I can't say I'm very surprised but I didn't really think this deal was going to get done. Not too sure that it was worth Gabbard, Beltre and Murphy as well (and I really liked Dave Murphy, he's going to be a good outfielder in the not so distant future). This trade does tell me a few things though:
1. Timlin is all but done. There is no way Gagne comes in if Timlin's shoulder is doing just fine and the Sox have confidence in him.
2. Schilling must be lights out in his rehab starts and feeling great. In addition, the Sox staff must share the same sentiments.
3. Lester is now our full-time man, he is in the bigs to stay.
4. Tito and Theo have no confidence in Delcarmen this year.
5. Tito and Theo are still very concerned about Pap's shoulder and are only going to want to work him in absolute save situations. (He only has 5 appearances since the all-star break)
6. Schill is either going to work out a deal to stay with the club next year, the Sox have a free agent pitcher in mind that they really like and will bring in to fill out the rotation next year or Clay Bucholtz is exceeding expectations and may get some appearances next year.

Haven't heard anymore about Dye so I'm not sure if anything happened there. I had heard that Willy Mo and Hansen may have been sent in order to get him, which is not a bad trade for both teams. However, the Dye trade could very well have fallen through or become stagnant which may be why Theo pulled the trigger on this deal thinking that the Sox will just shut down their opponents heading into the post-season and during with what seems like an incredibly dominating pitching staff. I must say, with Gagne now in the pen we are prepared for any situation. This may take some pressure off the offense as well, though they haven't been performing all that great anyway, since with this staff it shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 runs to win games.

Newc
07-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Anyone hear why the Dye deal didn't get done? I heard that the White Sox wanted Willy Mo and Delcarmen when the Red Sox had offered Willy Mo and Craig Hansen...I really don't see much of a difference between the two. I know that Boston is higher on Delcarmen, but how much higher could it really be, both of these guys have shown some pretty big flaws. Anyone else hear anything?

SillyIrish
07-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Off Topic but I came across this and thought it was funny, I never saw it before.

YouTube - ESPN Sports Center - Posada & Ortiz - Betrayal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUwJAkVbAHA&mode=related&search=)

Newc
07-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Haha yea i saw that one on espn all the time...they do come up with some good commercials there.

mlcspinner
08-02-2007, 07:39 AM
It was good to see the Soxs come back last night. Plus papelbond was lights out

Sureal
08-02-2007, 04:34 PM
7-3 Sox win. Killer next 6 games... at Sea and at LAA

mlcspinner
08-02-2007, 05:53 PM
we never have good luck in Seattle

mlcspinner
08-02-2007, 06:19 PM
lead back up to 8 games

mlcspinner
08-04-2007, 04:36 PM
what is it about Seattle? :upset:

mlcspinner
08-05-2007, 07:48 AM
We won 1 in Seattle :djparty:

mlcspinner
08-05-2007, 08:13 PM
:thewave: we won 2 in Seattle :thewave:

Newc
08-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Did anyone else see Coco get run down by that moose mascot? First of all, why is a moose a mascot for the Mariners? I don't do much sailing, but the times that I have I have never come upon a moose at sea. Second of all, who the hell tries to run down an opposing teams player, that is rediculous. Third of all, where was Schilling and why didn't he rifle some balls at that idiot?

Anyway, glad to see the Sox nab two in Seattle, they have given us fits all season. This next series against the Angles should be a good one, lets hope Schill gets off to a good second half tonight.

GO SOX!!

Newc
08-08-2007, 09:35 AM
What is going on here boys? 500 ball after the break is not going to win anyone a division. The team just seems so flat, like they are all just coasting, I don't know what to think. Now we are down to 5 games, which is not that far to run down. What do you guys think...am I overreacting or is it time to become concerned in beantown?

Sureal
08-08-2007, 09:48 AM
We are not going to win the division. It's almost like they lose focus at times and it is very concerning.

Newc
08-08-2007, 12:07 PM
You're right...it looks like they are playing like they don't really care.

mlcspinner
08-08-2007, 07:05 PM
We are not going to win the division. It's almost like they lose focus at times and it is very concerning.

How can you say that we are not going to win the div. ? It's the first week in Aug. , we have a five game lead, and yes the yanks are playing lights out. that will not continue and the red sox will pull out other there funk.

Newc
08-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Back up to 6 games...I think I am in love with Pedroia. If he doesn't win ROTY then baseball has all but gone to hell.

Sureal
08-09-2007, 12:22 PM
How can you say that we are not going to win the div. ? It's the first week in Aug. , we have a five game lead, and yes the yanks are playing lights out. that will not continue and the red sox will pull out other there funk.

Knee-Jerk reaction. I just protect myself from getting crushed year in and year out. Tired of being let down by these guys. I don't want to sweat come September. I want to have a decent lead and maybe we can rest our starters once we sew up the division. But once we start playing like lethargic like we have at times it pisses me off to no end. I am reserved to be on the fence and a little to the defeatist side until we get the division side in hand. Dude this is a learned behavior. Unfortunate but true. Doesn't help while you watch the Bronx is Burning and see the Sox were up by 5 games in the first week of August only to choke it away. You sit there and say wow this must be tradition or something...

Newc
08-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Haha...Sureal, I was thinking the same exact thing watching The Bronx is Burning...its like we've set up the same exact situation. I got tickets to the Sept. 28th game against the Twins, a month ago I was thinking it would just be a fun relaxed game to enjoy, now its starting to look like it could turn into a battle for a playoff appearance.

Sureal
08-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Ok we got three against the Orioles. I say we start a little winning streak here to right the ship and bump that lead back up...

mlcspinner
08-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Ok we got three against the Orioles. I say we start a little winning streak here to right the ship and bump that lead back up...

That sounds great to me !!!!

Sureal
08-10-2007, 12:16 PM
and no more watching the Bronx is Burning...

mlcspinner
08-10-2007, 12:19 PM
The lead will be back up to 8 games by the weekend. The yanks are playing Cleveland aren't they?

SillyIrish
08-11-2007, 01:23 PM
The lead will be back up to 8 games by the weekend. The yanks are playing Cleveland aren't they?

Go O's!

mlcspinner
08-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Sox win but it looks like the Yanks will win also

Newc
08-11-2007, 11:53 PM
The Sox really need to turn it up here starting with this last game in Baltimore. We head home to face some of the weaker teams and really need to get on a roll here. I don't see the yanks staying super hot with the games they have coming up, so picking up two or three more games over the yanks in the next week or two is a must for the sox heading into september.

After today's game, I'm still riding the Pedroia for ROTY bus, the kid is amazing.

mlcspinner
08-13-2007, 07:21 AM
well, We are still in first place

Sureal
08-13-2007, 08:22 AM
no comment.

johnnd05
08-13-2007, 08:35 AM

:stupid:

Question: Am I allowed to sneak into your Sox forum and mock you for remarks like this?

Sureal
08-13-2007, 10:47 AM
:stupid:

Question: Am I allowed to sneak into your Sox forum and mock you for remarks like this?

Do what you want. At this point who cares. We stink anyway.

johnnd05
08-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Do what you want. At this point who cares. We stink anyway.

Dude, you TOTALLY sound like me two months ago. Lovin' it ...

Newc
08-13-2007, 11:13 AM
I can't believe we gave away Gabbard for two blown games. We should have swept the O's this weekend. Talk about pathetic. Sit Gagne on the bench for the rest of the year and just chalk it up as a bad trade, its not like we needed to add him, the guys we had in there were doing the job just fine. Leave it up to Oki, Delcarmen and Paps.

Sureal
08-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Dude, you TOTALLY sound like me two months ago. Lovin' it ...

Boston's Burning

New show on ESPN...

Newc
08-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Haha...

I can't help but blame myself for not foreseeing this happen. I got way too cocky without realizing that I do infact cheer for the Boston Red Sox, the organization that will do absolutley everything in its power to make things as hard on themselves as possible.

This team is going to take 10-15 years off my life....I should have just taken up smoking, atleast then I probably would have been more relaxed.

mlcspinner
08-13-2007, 06:11 PM
:meditate: Repeat after me. We will win the division:pray: , We will go to the WS, :frenchy:

Forget what I said :verysad:

Newc
08-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Hey hey...what do you know, the Sox can win a ballgame.

Newc
08-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Just heard that Clay Bucholtz could be called up to start one of the double header games against the Angels coming up. I got a chance to see this kid throw here in DE when he played with the Blue Rocks for a brief while and he is nasty. The Sox are big on this kid and pulling him up this year really shows he has developed his stuff. Lets hope this kid can bring a spark to a rather flat Sox team.

Sureal
08-15-2007, 09:09 AM
I am still on guard. I don't care as of yet. I want to see more wins before I am convinced. It's like having a crush on the high school dime. Knowing she isn't interested in a relationship but just messing around, you mess with each other then she pulls you in and then crushes you when you ask for a commitment.

Jessica Alba if you're reading this by chance, I know you remember me...

Sureal
08-15-2007, 04:39 PM
All that money to pitch like that? Good Grief!!! Dice-K should pay us for watching that...

Tampa 6-5.

At least we won the series...

Sureal
08-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Big series this weekend.

Starts this afternoon. C'mon rook. Give us 5 good innings...

I'll be checking gamecast this afternoon.

Love afternoon games that has meaning to them...

Newc
08-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Only a Sox fan could hook up with a hottie like Alba...yanks are left with the headcases like Mariah Carey and the occasional hooker/stripper.

Dude, Bucholz is quality, I really expect him to pitch well. Ofcourse making your debut in Fenway, in a pennant chase, with the yanks breathing down your backs against the Angels is not what most would call the ideal situation. We really know how to show the rooks what it means to be a Sox pitcher don't we?? If this kid can handle the pressure of today than I say we are going to be looking very good down the road in terms of pitching staff.

Lets wake up the bats boys and give this kid some support. We really need to get on a roll. 5.5 games won't cut it, lets put the yanks down for good here.

Newc
08-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Sureal...XM radio....greatest thing ever!

Sureal
08-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Ok we are about to be on...

Sureal
08-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Sureal...XM radio....greatest thing ever!

I would if I didn't have to battle 100.5 Magic in the next cubicle. Where's a sledgehammer when you need it? Tony Orlando marathon or something is going on at that
stupid-soft rock-supermarket-music-havin radio station...

:banghead2

Sureal
08-17-2007, 01:18 PM
1-0 Angels...

Newc
08-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Haha...Lumburgh told Milton that he could play his radio between the hours of 8 to 10 a.m.

Sureal
08-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Papi!!!!

2-1 Sox

Newc
08-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Ortiz with the homer...2-1 Sox

Newc
08-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Ok...drew makes up for the error

Newc
08-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Damn...4-1.

This is what we need!

Newc
08-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Sureal....you know why Mirabelli is catching today?

Anything wrong with Tek or just giving him some rest?

Sureal
08-17-2007, 01:41 PM
I have no idea. Over at the Sons of Sam they are asking the same question. Being that we have a rookie you would think that Tek would catch the first game and have Mirabelli catch the second. Beckett would probably prefer Tek anyway. Tito would probably clear that up after the game...

FYI, Wily Mo Pena dealt to the Nats for cash and a player to be named later...

5-1 Sox

6-1 Sox

Cora hit a double!!!

Newc
08-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Haha...

Willy Mo is gone...thank god! It was painful watching him at the plate, sure he has a ton of potential but we just don't have anywhere to put him to grow. I wonder who is on the PTBNL list.

Sureal
08-17-2007, 03:07 PM
7-3 red sox

Sureal
08-17-2007, 04:16 PM
8-4 sox
Note:
Mirabelli got hurt and according to the Herald will be on the 15...

Sureal
08-17-2007, 04:35 PM
game over. 8-4 Sox

Sureal
08-20-2007, 08:08 AM
JD Drew plays for the Yankees.

The Red Sox will not win the division.

Newc
08-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Drew has been a huge disappointment this year. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt all through spring training and even the first couple months of the season, but this guy could not have been more overrated by our front office. $70 million for this guy?? He can't get a hit in the clutch, his defense has been suspect and his overall demenor just seems disconnected and indifferent.

Look at Lugo, he had similar troubles at the plate and had booted some earlier in the year but you can tell by looking at the guy that he remains to try very hard and hustles every play...and its beginning to pay off for him as he is hitting much better and is playing a solid short.

The worst thing is we've got that joke Drew for 4 more years, unless by some miracle another GM is willing to take him off our hands. Ultimately I see the sox moving him and like always having to pay a nice little chunk of that inflated and undeserving salary.

Sureal
08-20-2007, 12:50 PM
get rid of him and get cabrera from FLA...

We can dream can't we?

mlcspinner
08-20-2007, 05:39 PM
It's getting harder and harder to believe they will hold on to first place

mlcspinner
08-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Wake has been pitching lights out lately

Sureal
08-21-2007, 08:11 AM
If the Angels can keep beating them and we beat the teams we should...

Newc
08-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Thats was a good performance by Wake and it was very nice to see the Sox get to Kazmir like that, he has been hot lately and it was good to see that our bats could still do some heavy damage even against quality pitchers.

I guess we do have to thank ACamp's Halos for pulling out the win there last night, hopefully they can complete the sweep and give the Sox some breathing room.

By the way, living here in DE, so close to D.C. I get all the Nats games and I've got to say its funny seeing Willy in a Nats uniform....and he isn't playing all that bad either, still no regrets of letting him go.

mlcspinner
08-21-2007, 12:07 PM
does willy mo start for the nationals?

Sureal
08-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I don't know but I wish him the best over there. We are supposed to be getting a Chris Carter-third baseman for him. I seen it over at the SOSH site...

Newc
08-21-2007, 03:23 PM
He has been starting the last few games that I have caught, not sure if they were spot starts or if he is their full-time right fielder.

Newc
08-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Back up to 6 games...We are looking alright at this point. Here is how the rest of the season plays out for us:
4 @ Chicago Sox
3 @ Yanks
3 v. Orioles
3 v. Toronto
4 @ Orioles
3 v. Tampa Bay
3 v. Yanks
3 @ Toronto
3 @ Tampa Bay
2 v. Oakland
4 v. Twins

This schedule actually plays into our favor quite a bit. All we really have to do is split with the yanks to keep things even there and I don't really see them making up 6 games seeing who we will be facing off against. The Halos have really helped us out here and facing the Rays couldn't have come at a better time.

Breaking things down, and because I waste way too much time at work I have come up with this kind of outcome so far. Not including tonights games against the Devil Rays and the Yanks facing the Angels again I have a little scenerio for we sox fans. Of the 35 games remaining:
Sox take 2 of 4 from the White Sox
Sox split 3 of the 6 with the Yanks
Sox take 4 of 7 from the O's
Sox take 4 of 6 from Toronto
Sox take 5 of 6 from Tampa Bay
Sox take 1 of 2 from Oakland
Sox take 2 of 4 from the Twins

That would leave the Sox finishing the season 21 of 35. Now going over the Yanks remaing 35 games and giving them a big time benefit of the doubt the scenerio plays out like this:
Yanks take 3 of 4 from Detroit
Yanks Split 3 of 6 with Boston
Yanks take 5 of 6 from Tampa Bay
Yanks take 2 of 3 from Seattle
Yankes take 2 of 3 from Kansas City
Yanks take 6 of 7 from Toronto
Yanks take 5 of 6 from the Orioles
This would leave the yanks 26 of 35...meaning they make up 5 games on Boston, and leaving them one game back for the division.

Ultimatly this scenerio does not take into account tonights games, which could very well turn out to be incredibly important, and it does give the yankees a huge amount of credit for their play, I'm not sure that many teams could go .750 over the last month and a half, however it would be a kind of worst case scenerio thing and would still leave the Sox with a one game lead. Therefore tonight is a must win for me to feel somewhat comfortable going into this final stretch of the season and lets hope that the yanks make things easy on us and cool off a little there.

Sureal
08-22-2007, 12:07 PM
It wouldn't worry me so much if we didn't stink up the place so bad against the Blue Jays.

We just need to wins these games against teams we should beat and not choke.

Newc
08-24-2007, 09:52 AM
ESPN - BoSox send Lester to Double-A, call up Lopez - MLB (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2988822)

Interesting move by the Sox...it kinda makes me wonder if Lester will be on the post-season roster.

mlcspinner
08-26-2007, 12:37 PM
The sox are now the ones that are onFIREnow

mlcspinner
08-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Yanks lose today

and

The RED SOXS are winning

Newc
08-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Nice... 4 game sweep of the White Sox and the Tigers take another one from the yanks. Lead is up to 7.5 games, that should be hard to make up with a month left.

Newc
08-27-2007, 12:11 PM
BIG series coming up tuesday at Fenway...lets sweep these jokers and finally put the yanks away for good!

buckeyebacker
08-27-2007, 06:25 PM
BIG series coming up tuesday at Fenway...lets sweep these jokers and finally put the yanks away for good!

I believe it's in New York tuesday-thursday, but I'm with you on the message of putting these guys away....they've hung around too long as it is, but a nice 2 out of 3 or a 3 game sweep would be a perfect way to send these guys packing!

Go Sox!

Sureal
08-28-2007, 07:28 AM
I don't believe this is happening. Somebody pinch me!!!

Newc
08-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Now 8 games after that out right spanking by the Tigers...that one had to hurt!

NDgettysburg
08-28-2007, 07:54 PM
I believe it's in New York tuesday-thursday, but I'm with you on the message of putting these guys away....they've hung around too long as it is, but a nice 2 out of 3 or a 3 game sweep would be a perfect way to send these guys packing!
All in all, I'd be happy with 1 out of 3. They'd only gain a game. No big deal.

mlcspinner
08-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Thank you Tigers

Newc
08-28-2007, 08:51 PM
All in all, I'd be happy with 1 out of 3. They'd only gain a game. No big deal.

Thats very true...however, I fear I am much more greedy and pesimistic...I WANT A SWEEP!! My hatred for the yankees also doesn't help...but once again, I am in no way considered sane or realistic.

NDgettysburg
08-28-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm loving this SopCast....watching tonight's game on the net...and on NESN to boot!

Sureal
08-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Ok, we couldn't get around Joba (that guy is amazing). Time to win at least one game. I say that game is tonight...

Newc
08-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Yea, if we take atleast one in this series, allowing the yanks to only make up one game we would be in a very good position for the rest of the season.

By the way, anyone hear any more about Manny and his back? Or is this just a way to get him some rest heading into the postseason?

Sureal
08-29-2007, 12:48 PM
ESPN Page 2 - Caple: Shut up, Red Sox Nation (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/070829&sportCat=mlb&POLL302=800000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000)

Check out this piece about Red Sox Fans....

Blasphemy

Newc
08-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Haha...I guess Caple is right....Red Sox fans should abandon their team like White Sox fans once they don't win back to back championships. Give me a break! Every stroried program or franchise has die hard fans that get called out by those who are rivals or envious.

To be honest, every member on this board should call out Caple because he is simply reiterating what Irish fans hear every single season. We are cocky, underserving, over-rated..blah blah blah. Truth be told, we are passionate fans who love their team. We come on internet forums in the middle of the summer to talk and analyze our football team.

The truth is, Caple should be criticizing his employer, if anyone is to blame it is ESPN for focusing on stupid pety stories and replaying the same damn thing 147 times a day. ESPN is extremely uncreative, see "Who's Now" and relies on big stories, see VIck, to take up air time. Rather than diversifying thier coverage they focus on the same few things and unfortunately that happens to be Red Sox/Yankees during baseball season...so ofcourse people are going to be tired of hearing about it, hell I am even tired of hearing about and only wish to get my damn scores and highlights...thats it!!

So let Caple go on about how the Red Sox are now the most arrogant franchise in sports and how they shove themselves down everyone's throats...I wonder what he will say if ND wins a bunch of games this year, I'm willing to bet he'll throw the whole over-rated and media hyped "insight" at us while ESPN dedicates the majority of its coverage to the Irish.

Sureal
08-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Wow newc. Didn't know you had it in ya. Good rant

Newc
08-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Haha...I always have a little rant in me...maybe its the anxiety over the Sox finishing the season, or it could be that Saturday can't come soon enough to kick off NDs season. or it could be the fact that morons like that would rather cry about teams who have loyal and sometimes over active fans rather than write about the real problems in sports (Vick, Henry and his millions of child support, the Bengals rap sheet, ect. ect. ect.), but no, lets bring to the forefront that the Red Sox fans are rowdy.

By the way...does anyone remember when Phillies fan's threw batteries at J.D. Drew when he played with the Cards and came into town? Or how about that time the Eagles fans booed Santa Clause? But no....they are world renowed good fans...what a joke.

Sureal
08-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Believe it or not but I don't think they even made the list...

Newc
08-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Haha...if you check the comments under that article some dude claims that Notre Dame has the worst fan base.

"I actually voted Notre Dame as the most obnoxious fan base, but the Yanks and Red Sox are close behind."

I must be psycic...so for those that are interested I am predicting a ND victory this weekend, 24-13....take it to your bookies and you can thank me later.
Disclaimer: All winnings from gambling on aforementioned prediction is subject to 15% advisory fee.

CLEARWALL
08-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Id rather be more annoying than just awful. tO$U fans are just dangerous and classless

Sureal
08-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Swept in the Bronx.

Trash. Absolutely trash. Drew needs to get traded tomorrow.

Newc
08-30-2007, 05:08 PM
I really don't know what to say. All I needed was one win to be content and we get swept. I don't get this team at all. We put up 147 runs against the White Sox then get two near no-hitters thrown at us. How is is that this team can't get up for a game against the Yanks? Has free agency killed this rivalry? Do the Sox even somewhat dislike the Yanks anymore? What the hell!!!!

I really hope the Sox get to face the D-Rays and White Sox in the playoffs....otherwise we're gonna find our way swept right out of the post season.

Sureal
08-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Exactly. I don't get it and I don't want to get it. What the heck is their problem? This division run ain't over. I tell you I can't stand J.D Poo. All that money for what!!! Check out the Sons of Sam horn site. They are going off...

NDgettysburg
08-30-2007, 09:11 PM
this says it all....

http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//BDD_automatics_8.20.07.jpg

johnnd05
08-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Just stopping in to say "suck it". :)

Newc
08-31-2007, 09:23 AM
Atleast Coco and Lugo look like they are trying. I am totally sickened by Drew, talk about a trash player. I understand that some guys don't really ever show emotion and its not their thing to let situations get the better of them, but I would just love to see him throw a bat or slam his helmet down after one of the many times he fails to come through in the clutch.

I don't know about the rest of you Sox fans (john feel free to throw in your opinion too) but there have been plenty of years where the team has frustrated the hell out of me, but it just seems this one is by far one of the worst because we should be absolutely running away with this thing. We have a killer staff and a 100 + million ball club....the results are far from meeting even conservative expectations.

Sureal
08-31-2007, 10:32 AM
My thoughts exaclty Newc. We can't hit worth two cents save for may 3 players. They don't show up against the good teams. We are not going to be playing the D-Rays and White Sox in the playoffs.
SWEEP A GOOD TEAM FOR ONCE GUYS!!! ACT LIKE YOU CAN PLAY!!!

NDgettysburg
08-31-2007, 07:45 PM
Just stopping in to say "suck it". :)
Just replying to say that I'd rather be the team up by 5 games than down by 5. :)

SillyIrish
09-01-2007, 01:40 AM
Flush, you guys are getting nervous and have been nervous, and I love it. The Yanks will win the wild card and the east is just a bonus. Remember the Sox came in third last year without making the playoffs and that is hilarious to me, and now you're in first place but still only the second best team in the east.

Well i'm almost sorry for remarks because it gameday so GO ND.

TheMightyQuinn10
09-02-2007, 01:40 PM
And the sox win the series!!!!

Sureal
09-05-2007, 09:17 AM
ND football and Fantasy Football took over my attention the past two weeks and since then the young'ns been representin'...

Ellsbury has been a beast!!! No hitters!!! Pedoria is ROY no doubt....

Newc
09-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Yea, Ellsbury is looking absolutely nasty out there. He's got the range to get to any ball and has been handling the bat MUCH better than I expected...3-3 last night with a homer I believe...not too shabby.

Like I've said before, Pedroia is down right rediculous. I will admitt, I was very scared when we let Loretta go, I really do like him as a player and wasn't sure that Pedroia would be able to fill the posiion. Wow, I couldn't have been more wrong. Out of the whole team he has been the most fun to watch and root for, this kid is going to be something special for years to come.

And how about the no hitter from Bucholtz??? Hughes who? Jaba What? Thats right Yanks fans, we have some hurlers too and they are looking lights out!!

This is the first time in a while that I am really excited about the Sox going forward. We have such a core of young players that should really stay with this club for a long long time. I think the Sox run of AL East titles has just begun...all we need to do is get that Drew character out of Boston and let Jacoby fill in.

Sureal
09-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Yea, Ellsbury is looking absolutely nasty out there. He's got the range to get to any ball and has been handling the bat MUCH better than I expected...3-3 last night with a homer I believe...not too shabby.

Like I've said before, Pedroia is down right rediculous. I will admitt, I was very scared when we let Loretta go, I really do like him as a player and wasn't sure that Pedroia would be able to fill the posiion. Wow, I couldn't have been more wrong. Out of the whole team he has been the most fun to watch and root for, this kid is going to be something special for years to come.

And how about the no hitter from Bucholtz??? Hughes who? Jaba What? Thats right Yanks fans, we have some hurlers too and they are looking lights out!!

This is the first time in a while that I am really excited about the Sox going forward. We have such a core of young players that should really stay with this club for a long long time. I think the Sox run of AL East titles has just begun...all we need to do is get that Drew character out of Boston and let Jacoby fill in.

Exactly. We need to buy that contract out or something.

NDgettysburg
09-08-2007, 07:28 PM
...all we need to do is get that Drew character out of Boston and let Jacoby fill in.[/
We went to the game Thursday night in Baltimore....when he grounded into the inning ending double play with bases loaded, I was frigging furious.

Good time otherwise....always nice to be in an away stadium and here the crowd cheer when a Boston fielder catches a fly to end the home side's inning. LOADED with Sox fans. Got see Bucholz in his first action (I think) since the no hitter. Got a huge round of applause from the Boston faithful in attendance....same when Ellsbury came in to pinch-hit.

And the 7-6 win with the GWR happening in the 9th was awesome.....Oh, and Papi's shot out to right field was a friggin' rocket!

Sureal
09-10-2007, 09:39 AM
5.5 games up.

A bright spot this weekend.

Newc
09-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Haha very true, atleast we still have our Sox to cheer us up. Up 5.5 with 18 games left. Lets hope we can put away the yanks in fenway this weekend.

mlcspinner
09-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Do I dare ask what the magic # is?

Sureal
09-10-2007, 03:15 PM
No. Let the Empire wonder...

NDgettysburg
09-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Do I dare ask what the magic # is?
somewhere around 15

Newc
09-10-2007, 03:44 PM
14 to be exact

Sureal
09-10-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm not counting. No more stress is needed. We play the Rays and Kazmir has the ball against us. That is enough stress.

Newc
09-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Haha just wait for the weekend series Sureal...nothing like some Sox/Yanks ball while ND takes on Michigan.

Here's hoping that I don't pull all my hair out this weekend....I'm far too young to go bald.

Newc
09-11-2007, 09:34 AM
5 games now...

I hate sports.

Sureal
09-11-2007, 10:49 AM
No comment. Stupid baseball.

johnnd05
09-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Let me just say that this is fast becoming my favorite thread on the board. :)

SillyIrish
09-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Things could get very interesting over the next week.

Newc
09-12-2007, 09:41 AM
You're right...you guys better hope that after the Sox sweep you out of Fenway that you can still hold onto that wildcard.

Sureal
09-12-2007, 10:07 AM
So I was watching NESN this morning the sportsdesk and goodness gracious!!! Who is the lady doing the Sportsdesk???? Man she has to be the prettiest woman doing sports today...

Newc
09-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Damn...I don't get NESN down here in Delaware. All I get is MASN so I can keep up to date with those two juggernauts the Orioles and Nationals.

Sureal
09-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Her name is Hazel Mae...

Mercy

mlcspinner
09-13-2007, 07:43 AM
:allhail: All hail Oritz

Sureal
09-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Papi!!! Papi!!! Papi!!!

Newc
09-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Is this a sign as to what we can expect for the rest of the year? I hope Papi returning to his clutch ways takes us all the way through the Series.

Sureal
09-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Don't look but he is hitting over 300 got 30 dingers and over 100 rbi. He always steps up during this time of the year...

mlcspinner
09-13-2007, 07:28 PM
:starwars: Let's put a fork in the Yanks this weekend

Newc
09-13-2007, 10:16 PM
I have a good feeling about this weekend...though Sureal will just call me overly optimistic...haha.

NDgettysburg
09-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Let's put a fork in the Yanks this weekend
I prefer a dagger!

SillyIrish
09-14-2007, 04:47 PM
I too have a good feeling about this weekend.

Sureal
09-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Gagne is the best signing the Yankees had in years.

He's garbage. Can't throw to save his life. SOSH site is ripping him a new one..

Newc
09-19-2007, 09:45 AM
There is nothing left to say here.....I guess we just have to see what the next two weeks holds for us.

johnnd05
09-19-2007, 10:22 AM
:)

Newc
09-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Your still in second my friend.

Sureal
09-20-2007, 08:56 AM
So now being a wildcard team isn't so bad right?

We are not a good baseball team right now.

Newc
09-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Yea right....I want this damn division...its ours!!

And you are right, we are not a good ball club. Manny needs to get back to playing ball, everyone deals with aches and pains this time of the year, he can too. Lugo needs to do just the bare minimum rather than his usual nothing at all and the bullpen needs to get rid of the tampons and throw like they've gotta pair. I am so sick and tired of the whole Gagne doesn't have the mentality to pitch in this city with a division riding on the line. Well if thats the case then throw away his 81 (or whatever it is) consecutive saves because the guy obviously can't pitch when it means anything and was just benefiting from the fact that the rangers are a AAAA ball team. Paps...well I can't get on my boy paps, everyone has a breakdown now and again and I'd rather him have his now then during the postseason. As for the rest of this team...GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND PLAY BALL!! They look like they are content with just making the playoffs as a wild card...well let me tell you, if the Yanks pass us with a week and a half left to play we might as well pack our bags for the offseason because this team has shown no heart recently and that doesn't get you too far in the postseason.

Sorry for the rant and I appologize to Sureal in advance for not being optimistic, but this is getting to be rediculous. 1995...last time we won the division, do these guys have any pride?

Sureal
09-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Lugo jogged down the line on one play in which if he would have hustled would have gotten there. We are swinging at bad pitches. Ellsbury btw is the truth.

I hate to say but like one of the posters said on Sons of Sam Horn, Terry is managing this team like they are content with just making the playoffs. Bullocks!!! You finish the season strong no matter what your position is.

Sureal
09-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Here's to the hope that we actually win a game in this series...

mlcspinner
09-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Thsi is going to be a great weekend Sox sweep, Yanks get swept, and ND crushes MSU :pray:

Newc
09-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Haha...well Beckett should get the win tonight, atleast then we can stop bleeding this lead.

Sureal
09-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Kazmir has the ball for TB... :(

Newc
09-21-2007, 04:17 PM
You've gotta kill my beckett buzz don't you??

I've got the Sox and Irish kool-aid flowing pretty good right now and you go and smack the cup right out of my hand....this is going to be a stressful weekend.

Sureal
09-21-2007, 04:26 PM
I am who I be.
Pessimistic to a fault...

SillyIrish
09-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Haha...well Beckett should get the win tonight, atleast then we can stop bleeding this lead.

Until your pen comes in and blows the game.

Sureal
09-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Anybody got a score on the empire's game this afternoon?

Newc
09-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Toronto wins it, 4-1.

Lead is 2 games even now. We've got two games against Oakland, four against the Twins, all at home. I'll be at the Friday night game against the Twins. So after the Sox take both from the A's and beat the Twins thursday night I get to see the Sox clinch the division for the first time since '95!!! Oh how sweet it will be!!

Yanks have to play on the road for the last week.

Sureal
09-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Where are you going to be sitting?

Newc
09-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Section B89
Row VV
Seats 1-4

Newc
09-24-2007, 05:28 PM
You gonna be there man?

Sureal
09-24-2007, 05:32 PM
No. Haven't been to a game all year. :(

But I been there many a times. Always by pesky pole under the hanger. I'm assuming you been there a couple of times...

Newc
09-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Oh yea...I love fenway. The most beautiful park with wrigley a close second. I'm not a fan of the new stadiums...to much tech not enough old ballgame charm.

Sureal
09-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Never been to Wrigley. I had a chance to go to the Empire stadium but I refused. So I don't know how that stadium is.

Sureal
09-26-2007, 08:41 AM
3 games up. Don't get excited yet. We are the BoSox....

Newc
09-26-2007, 09:22 AM
MAGIG NUMBER = 3

Newc
09-26-2007, 09:24 AM
It doesn't even matter what the Yanks do now, all we have to do is win 3 of the last 5 games we've got here boys. Like I said earlier, I'm predicting that the Sox wrap this thing up on Friday night while I am in attendance so I can rub it in my college roommates face (he is a yankee fan and will be at the game with me as well). OH HOW SWEET IT WILL BE!!

Sureal
09-28-2007, 10:42 AM
This team just does not like to do anything peaceful...

WIN AND GET IT OVER WITH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

Sureal
09-28-2007, 12:40 PM
We could be Met fans...

mlcspinner
09-28-2007, 02:55 PM
We could be Met fans...

No God please NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mlcspinner
09-29-2007, 09:00 AM
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/09/29/1191040065_9423.jpg

Newc
10-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Can I call it or can I call it??? Let me just tell you...Boston went nuts after the Orioles tied it up 9-9 and we all knew they were going to pull it out.

After the Sox game we went to a bar across the street from Fenway with a rooftop bar area and could see the game being played on the Fenway scoreboard as well as having a TV right there, but wathing it come from the stadium was much cooler. The place went absolutely nuts when the Orioles laid down that bunt....the memories after have become a little cloudy but it was amazing just being there for that.

Lets Go Sox!!

Sureal
10-01-2007, 09:44 AM
I need to get a DVR. I was away this weekend camping with my youth group and missed everything related to sports. But I did come back Saturday night to this pleasant surprise.

A little unnerved by the reports I heard from the ND game. 26-0 hafltime???? Never should happen. But this win helped soothe the pain...

Sureal
10-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Nevertheless the fun begins Wednesday...

SillyIrish
10-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Just heard that Wakefield will sit the first series due to back problems.

Sureal
10-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Angel fans everywhere are in panic mode.

Wakefield's paperballs won't be served for 3 run homers in this series...

SillyIrish
10-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Well hoping big for a Yankee Sox ALCS.

Newc
10-03-2007, 10:27 AM
WOW! For some reason or another, brain-fart I guess, I just spent some time on the Red Sox board on ESPN. I can't believe that I am associated with some of those morons. All I was doing was looking for some good insight or info on what to expect this post-season and off season and I walked away with a headache and an overwhelming sense that the internet has created way too many avenues for morons and wanna-be tough guys.

Sorry for going on about what most of you know anyway, I just never really believed it could be that bad.

Sureal
10-03-2007, 11:51 AM
The best site to go to as far as Red Sox is concerned is Son of Sam Horn Site...

mlcspinner
10-03-2007, 12:15 PM
I LOVE my new ring I CAN'T WAIT FOR A WORLD SERIES RING!!! It starts tonight boys!!

GO RED SOXS

:thewave: :thewave: :thewave:

Newc
10-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Beckett is NASTY!!!!!!

Poor Acamper had to shut down the other thread due to pure embarassment....its a shame, we should all be fine with a little friendly banter.

Sureal
10-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Wow. That thread closing was a bit interesting...

Newc
10-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Haha damn Angels fans...can't take a whoppin!

Newc
10-04-2007, 10:30 AM
8k 0BB 4H

For those of you who are not fluent in baseball that reads DOMINANCE

Ole Ole Ole Ole....Ole....Ole

Sox on their way to another ring!

Sureal
10-04-2007, 05:19 PM
C'mon Dice K. Show up tomorrow.

WE CAN'T ALLOW 15 WALKS DICE -K!!!

Sureal
10-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Wow what's up with the Fightin' Phills? 3 homeruns. Goes to show ya!!!

It's the pitching stupid...

HereComeTheIrish
10-04-2007, 09:47 PM
8k 0BB 4H

For those of you who are not fluent in baseball that reads DOMINANCE

Ole Ole Ole Ole....Ole....Ole

Sox on their way to another ring!

http://corvus.lunarpages.com/~talk22/images/efwm.jpg

Let's not go sizing up those ring fingers just yet...

Chowd Nation's arrogance never ceases to amaze me...

Newc
10-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Haha oh come on. You can't come on here after seeing Beckett's performance and honestly say that you are not impressed.

And its not like this is just a Red Sox thing, game seven of the 2003 World Series speaks to this kid's big game stuff. Plain Nasty!!

Face it....the kid is a hurler and I'll continue to put my money on him when he takes the mound and thats not arrogance but fact backed up by plenty of evidence.

Newc
10-06-2007, 12:59 AM
http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/65/39/23463965.jpg

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....Manny KOs K-Rod!!

Thats postseason baseball!!

mlcspinner
10-07-2007, 08:06 PM
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/10/07/1191801043_4121.jpg

Sureal
10-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Found out during church yesterday!!!

Next up ALCS. One game at a time fellas.

Newc
10-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Ok...so heres the question.

Do we want the yanks to win tonight to force a game 5 back in Cleveland on Wednesday, forcing the Tribe to throw CC so that the Sox don't have to face him in Boston on Friday or Saturday, giving the Sox a huge advantage or do we just want the Yanks done tonight?

Sureal
10-08-2007, 10:32 AM
The Empire don't have any pitching anyway. I would still rather they go the full 5.

Newc
10-08-2007, 10:38 AM
I think I agree. I'm not sure I want to see both CC and Carmona in Boston. If the yanks can take them to five then it would look more like Carmona then Westbrook, which I think we can handle alot better given that Beckett would face Carmona and Dice-K would most likely go against Westbrook.

That way, I think we only need a few key hits off Fausto since I really believe that Beckett can silence the Tribe bats and Daisuke can just be himself since I don't think Jake can handle our lineup, especially with Manny and Papi getting hot at just the right time!

Newc
10-09-2007, 03:46 PM
As expected now that the Yanks are done all the A-Rod to Boston in '08 talk has begun. I for one do not want this guy on my team at all. I really don't know how I would react if A-Rod were to don a Sox cap...I really hope Theo is smarter than that.

Just curious as to what other Sox fans think.

mlcspinner
10-09-2007, 03:54 PM
A-rod is a tremendous player but I don't think it would be a good idea for him to come to Boston. The heat is just as intense as it is in New York and look how he handled that.

Sureal
10-09-2007, 04:12 PM
I will not watch baseball if he ever wears a BoSox uniform.

Newc
10-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Haha Sureal I'm with you. The irrational overreaction seems much more fitting to the whole A-Rod becoming a Sox for me.

Sureal
10-12-2007, 08:47 AM
Tonight is the start of an EPIC series. This thing is going 6 or 7. Oh the suspense...

Newc
10-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Yea this really should be some of the best baseball this year. Both teams are pretty evenly matched, though I like the end of the Sox rotation better than that of the tribe.

Lets Go Sox!

Newc
10-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Wow...well I can't say that I am totally surprised. Ever since the All-Star break the Sox have been on cruise control and it has continued into the postseason. So basically what does the offseason hold for our beloved Sox??

I think this is a major overhaul season for the Red Sox to be honest. Though I absolutely love Manny, he's one of the best hitters I have ever seen, I really see him being dealt as his trade value is way toohigh for us and I doubt he comes back after next year. In addition, though I love his defense I think Coco is gone as well, if only to make room for Jacoby. I really wish we could have a do-over and give Drew back to the Dodgers, but the sad reality is that we are stuck with this clown for the next four years, what was Theo thinkin on that one.

I doubt we even try to sign Schilling, he's done as a big time pitcher and we have plenty of guys waiting to fill the role.

I think we resign Lowell for 2 years, which is a good move because the guy is a pure baseball player, something that has been lost in the last few years among teams looking to win a ring. If you want to win you need fundamental players who can get the job done...not flashy names.

Lugo will stay at short, and I really expect him to play better this year as he looked to come around at a few points towards the end of the season. I think he just needs to get more comfortable which a full year should have provided.

Rotation wise, I doubt the Sox go after a starter or anything, maybe a middle relief guy, but I don't think the market is deep enough and our pen was pretty good throughout the season.

So here it is....the 2008 Boston Red Sox:

Starting Rotation:
Josh Beckett
Daisuke Matsuzaka
Jon Lester
Tim Wakefield
Clay Bucholz

Lineup:
Ellsbury CF
Youkilis 1B
Ortiz DH
Lowell 3B
(Consistant Bat in LF per Manny or Coco trade or some combo)
Drew RF
Pedroia 2B
Tek C
Lugo SS

Only question is who do we get for Manny? Do we go after a young third baseman? What can we get for Coco? Who comes in to play left field? Do we look to make a change at short? Do we try to move Youk?

It should be an interesting off-season as I think there will be a bunch of moves. I don't think Theo can sit there and say that he is happy with how this season turned out. If we had played well all year and advanced to the World Series I don't think many changes would be made, but this has been an absolute disappointment as we had the talent to win this year. I'm not a guy who usually calls for changes to be made or turning things upside down, but there needs to be something done here with this team.

Sureal
10-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Wow...well I can't say that I am totally surprised. Ever since the All-Star break the Sox have been on cruise control and it has continued into the postseason. So basically what does the offseason hold for our beloved Sox??

I think this is a major overhaul season for the Red Sox to be honest. Though I absolutely love Manny, he's one of the best hitters I have ever seen, I really see him being dealt as his trade value is way toohigh for us and I doubt he comes back after next year. In addition, though I love his defense I think Coco is gone as well, if only to make room for Jacoby. I really wish we could have a do-over and give Drew back to the Dodgers, but the sad reality is that we are stuck with this clown for the next four years, what was Theo thinkin on that one.

I doubt we even try to sign Schilling, he's done as a big time pitcher and we have plenty of guys waiting to fill the role.

I think we resign Lowell for 2 years, which is a good move because the guy is a pure baseball player, something that has been lost in the last few years among teams looking to win a ring. If you want to win you need fundamental players who can get the job done...not flashy names.

Lugo will stay at short, and I really expect him to play better this year as he looked to come around at a few points towards the end of the season. I think he just needs to get more comfortable which a full year should have provided.

Rotation wise, I doubt the Sox go after a starter or anything, maybe a middle relief guy, but I don't think the market is deep enough and our pen was pretty good throughout the season.

So here it is....the 2008 Boston Red Sox:

Starting Rotation:
Josh Beckett
Daisuke Matsuzaka
Jon Lester
Tim Wakefield
Clay Bucholz

Lineup:
Ellsbury CF
Youkilis 1B
Ortiz DH
Lowell 3B
(Consistant Bat in LF per Manny or Coco trade or some combo)
Drew RF
Pedroia 2B
Tek C
Lugo SS

Only question is who do we get for Manny? Do we go after a young third baseman? What can we get for Coco? Who comes in to play left field? Do we look to make a change at short? Do we try to move Youk?

It should be an interesting off-season as I think there will be a bunch of moves. I don't think Theo can sit there and say that he is happy with how this season turned out. If we had played well all year and advanced to the World Series I don't think many changes would be made, but this has been an absolute disappointment as we had the talent to win this year. I'm not a guy who usually calls for changes to be made or turning things upside down, but there needs to be something done here with this team.

Who is really out there to replace Manny? I don't want Jones (strikes out too much) nor Hunter (inconsistant). Young Third Baseman???? MIGUEL CABRERA????

Good post...