PDA

View Full Version : Boston Red Sox-- 1st Half of the Season

Sureal
05-11-2007, 12:10 PM
I just thought I would create this thread so that there can be an ongoing discussion on the Sox for the first half of the season as opposed to using a thread for a particular player and then going on a tangent about something else. Besides recruiting sports dies around this time of the year so...

23-10

Sox swept the Jays behind masterful pitching and clutch hitting , Manny is waking up...
Should we stay level headed? I mean Aug-Sept '06 still stings...

Sureal
05-11-2007, 04:18 PM
I wish our pitchers would shut up. Papelbon is calling Schilling comments unprofessional. They are going to ruin our season with this crap if it keeps up.

notredomer23
05-11-2007, 08:55 PM
yeah i used to respect shilling....now hes just a dickweed

ACamp1900
05-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Leave it to a sox fan to consider the the one month point the midpoint of the season...

Newc
05-12-2007, 12:38 PM
I love how much unsolicited hate the Sox get from other fans...must mean we are doing something right, dominating the AL may just be that.

Sureal
05-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Leave it to a sox fan to consider the the one month point the midpoint of the season...

Actually this is an ongoing conversation about the first half of the season until it is completed. Sorry for the confusion...

Sureal
05-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Anyway back to baseball. 6 runs in the bottom of the ninth yesterday!!! We got a big series starting today with Dice-K pitching. He better show up today...

Newc
05-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Anymore word on Becketts finger? I heard it was a developing blister like the ones he used to get that would really mess up his delivery. I really hope they get this under control, Beckett may be our most reliable ticket to the Series this year.

As far as Daisuke goes, he better show up today and show up strong. You would think he has had enough innings to get used to the play over here, he needs to show us that he was worth the contract.

Sureal
05-14-2007, 10:54 AM
No news as of yet in regards to the blisters. Just got done reading the Globe and they are just calling it ripped skin due to dry skin. We definately don't need him getting those and having his grips getting all jacked up.
Manny is also having issues with his hammy that is why he got pulled yesterday during the game. On my fantasy team they got him Day to Day so he may just need some time.

In the meantime I would think that Pena would replace him. Good grief...

Newc
05-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Yea, Pena's display of ineptness in right field the other day makes me worry a ton. He's got a ton of potential at the plate, though he does strike out way too much. I wonder if maybe 6 months or a year in AAA would help him out any since he would be playing everyday.

Sureal
05-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Dice-K complete game!!! BIG TIME WIN!!!

I'm thinking I need to put him back on my fantasy baseball team...

Newc
05-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Complete game with no walks...that is huge, especially against a very good Tiger team. It also appeared, with only 5 strikeouts, that Daisuke may not be trying to strike everyone out like he has in his past apperances which seems to be greatly increasing his accuracy. Supposedly, as Valentine has said, Japanese pitchers try to strike out batters rather than throw to contact like many effective pitchers do here in the states (Greg Maddux, one of the greatest pitchers of all time comes to mind), lets hope Daisuke continues to stride towards throwing to contact and we get many more games like this out of him. With the amount of different pitches he throws, he doesn't need to worry about trying to get it by the hitters and rather let the complexity of his arsenal do the work for him.

Sureal
05-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Good insight newc122. I do know that over there in the Japanese league their strike zone is rather liberal. So he may have just needed some time to adjust.
I say Beckett needs to sit his next start out and fully heal. I would want a healthy Beckett rather than one we have to be cautious about. Manny played last night so it is obvious that the hammy is not bothering him that much. Any word on Lester? I know he had a set back but is he still going to throw a simulated game on Friday?

Newc
05-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Yea, with the Sox having an 8.5 game lead in the East I think it would be best to sit Beckett and allow his finger to properly heal, we aren't in the position where we need wins badly, so there is really no need to push Josh back into the rotation. I haven't heard anymore about Lester either, what was the set back that you are talking about, never heard of that. I was hoping that Lester could spot start for Beckett, but I guess with a set back he isn't ready to go. I really don't know who we would throw in there to start for Josh, maybe Donnelly??

Sureal
05-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Lester got a cramp in his forearm. Something minor but they were taking precaution and bringing him on slowly. Good question about who to throw in there.
Crap I just looked at the roster and we don't have a real tweener (Scott Shields-type) except for Tavarez. We need Lester back. Or call back Hansack

Newc
05-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Yea, Hansack would be a nice call up to spot start, he did a pretty impressive job last year for us.

Sureal
05-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Well that about stunk last night... I don't know Wake you think you can not give up hits like that? Chooch...
Anyway, Tavarez better act like he can pitch for a change. Youkilis stepped up for us last night.

Wake stinks on MLB 07 The Show, I mean he is terrible...

Sureal
05-18-2007, 08:23 AM
AAAAAARRRRGH!!!

Becket is on the 15 and we called up Hansack.

Newc
05-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Well that about stunk last night... I don't know Wake you think you can not give up hits like that? Chooch...
Anyway, Tavarez better act like he can pitch for a change. Youkilis stepped up for us last night.

Wake stinks on MLB 07 The Show, I mean he is terrible...

I know alot of people aren't real high on Tavarez, but I really like him. The guy has pitched much better than his record indicates this season and I think he is probably one of the best # 5 starters out there. Yea, we all understand that he is no Beckett, nor should we really expect him to be. He is a true team player who has really helped out Daisuke this year, as well as trying to keep Manny in line and has told Tito that he will pitch whenever he is needed wherever he is needed, as a starter or in the pen. I this day of sports its hard to find alot of guys who are willing to fill in wherever they are needed since they have such egos. I like Tavarez and hope he stays around for many more years.

Sureal
05-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Agreed on Tavarez's clubhouse leadership. What irks me is that he is at times inconsitent but he is a #5 starter as you pointed out. I say better that than a relief pitcher.

Sureal
05-21-2007, 10:14 AM
We are playing strong excluding the 14-0 pimp smack that was endured Saturday.

Wake vs Wang tonight.

Is Torre out the door if they lose 2 out of 3?

Newc
05-21-2007, 11:06 AM
I doubt that Torre will be let go at all this season, once it is done though is an entirely different story. This series however is huge in terms of the AL East. It really seems that the Yankees are right there on the edge, tettering, and their season could go either way after this series. Watching them play the Mets this weekend they looked incredibly flat in both losses, almost as if they were expecting to lose. They had their heads down alot in the dugout and there didn't look to be much enthusiasm to try to get a few games back on the Sox. Therefore I honestly believe that this may be the most important series between the Sox and Yanks of the season. If the Sox can grab two of three it would just be another punch in the gut of the Yanks and would probably keep them in their downward spiral that they are on. If the Sox can somehow sweep the Yanks at home, then I really think the Yankees would be done. I know its only May and there is a ton of baseball to be played, but taking three more games from the yankees in NY would really be a dagger in the heart.

Conversely, if the yankees can win two of three then this series could becoming a turning point for the Yanks and could really motivate a talented ballclub. The problem with the yankees isn't their talent this year, but the fact that so much adversity has hit them so hard so soon in the year. They have been fighting an uphill battle all season long and that can becoming incredibly draining on a team when you play 6 nights a week.

Therefore, I really hope the Sox can go into NY and take atleast two games out of this series, it would continue to boost our already charged momentum and keep the yankees in the basement and continue to mess with their psyche.

Sureal
05-21-2007, 11:56 AM
I absolutely agree with you in regards to the importance of this series. I was looking at the pitching matchups throughout this series and the Yankees do have a chance to at least get 2 out of 3 (Wake game one, Tavarez game two and Schilling for the final game). On the other hand, if we can capitalize on their weak bullpen depth and keep the games in reach we have a chance to even sweep them. Nobody in their lineup is tearing it up except for their third baseman and even he is cooling down. I am excited about this series no matter what the records may say. I expect the Yankees to make a run toward the end of the season so any victories now are more than welcome.

Newc
05-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Oh definitely, you can never count the Yankees out. I think we all remember the 14 game lead we had on the Yanks, which they made up and took us to that one game playoff at Fenway...damn Bucky Dent!!!

Your point about their pen is very valid, we just need to get to it early and by the looks of it, our offense is heating up so I hope we can knock their starters out before the 6th, if we can do that in all three games I think we take the sweep. Wake has mixed success against the Yanks, he can really dominate them at times and with their bats not working so well I think he has a chance to get into their heads and get a W. Tavarez is a little more risky, however I love his big game attitude and I hope he can turn it on and pitch a gem. As far as Schill goes, I hope he has that game when A-Rod spanked him all over Fenway still in his head and uses that to blow the yankee lineup away. Now ofcourse this is all wishful thinking, but Wang, Moose and Pettite haven't really shown me enough to think that they can dominate our lineup. It should be a great series regardless as both teams really know whats on the line here. I will say though, I wouldn't mind seeing Damon muff another homerun ball, maybe the winning homerun in game three to complete the sweep?? Who knows, it is Boston v. New York, crazy things always seem to happen.

notredomer23
05-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Yankees are gonna be back once clemens returns because that will boost there moral. Red Sox will win the Penant and make it to the world series, but will lose to the mets. I was very impressed with the mets so far this season

Sureal
05-22-2007, 08:19 AM
I can't stand Wake and I am a Red Sox fan. He irritates me with those paperballs he throws to the plate...

6-2 Yankees win

Newc
05-22-2007, 09:52 AM
You can't leave the bases loaded twice and expect to win ball games. Manny watching strike three in the 7th with Papi sitting out on second after one run had scored didn't help either, I think we had a little rally brewing there. As far as Wake goes I understand your frustration. Both me and my dad were watching the game last night and were growing incredibly frustrated with the walks. I loved growing up watching Greg Maddux pitching because he never walked hitters. I would much rather see teams hit my pitcher than for him to walk them, I absolutly hate walks. Wake seems to be either incredibly on or incredibly off and I understand he had no run support at all last night, but he also deserves alot of blame for walking guys for other hitters to knock in.

Also, has Romero always been that inconsistant? I know I've seen him throw some good innings, but I couldn't believe that outing he had, he looked like an A ball pitcher.

The Sox really need to take the next two in this series or I fear the Yanks will get that all too important confidence back. Lets hope Julian and Schill throw some gems.

Sureal
05-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Romero for a time was a dominant Setup guy out there in LA but last year he had issues. But today is a new day. I don't expect us to be held to two runs throughout this series.

Newc
05-22-2007, 10:04 AM
I hope you're right.

Sureal
05-22-2007, 10:04 AM
If you can remember last year we had a terrible time getting people over (small ball). It seems that we rely too much on the big hit or homerun (see 1980's Red Sox). Swinging at bad balls causing us to hit into double plays, getting too anxious at the plate and striking out. We start looking bad when we are indecisive. But I am hoping for a better game today.

Tavarez--Bos
Mussina--NY

Newc
05-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Manny needs to calm down at the plate, he is really pressing to get things going. You can't really blame a guy for wanting to be a big producer, but what the Sox need him to do is settle down and get back into that good ole manny rythm.

I do like the fact that the Sox have been playing some good small ball, last night I think they said that the Sox have 8 sac bunts this year, which is more than all the other teams in the AL East combined. With Crisp and Lugo we can really benefit by playing small ball, because we know eventually Manny, Papi, Drew, Lowell, and Youk will be hitting like we all know they can and drive in those runs.

Its only May and we do have a sizeable lead so we really shouldn't be too anxious with the play of our guys, but as all Sox fans know we aren't satisfied unless we win every game, its a passion for baseball and our team that very few understand.

Sureal
05-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Amen to that...

notredomer23
05-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Good game so far....expect the yankees to fight back hard....they need these games.

notredomer23
05-22-2007, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=newc122;145049]Manny needs to calm down at the plate, he is really pressing to get things going. QUOTE]

he calmed down...

in a big way

Sureal
05-23-2007, 08:23 AM
we needed that. Okajima looked human last night. I hope he didn't peek too early. Papelbon is the man.

Pettite-NY
Schill-Boston

Newc
05-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Nice, I love that homerun swing of Manny's, its pure beauty. Tavarez pitched a pretty good game, we've gotta give some props to him for picking us up after Wake's outing. Still not liking so many walks, but I've gotta say, they are always more tolerable after a win.

I was surprised that Jeter let that third strike go from Paps to finish the game. It was in the same exact location as the first called strike and I would have thought he would have atleast tried to fight it off, nevertheless, though I really do respect Jeter as a player, theres nothing better than seeing Paps sit him down.

My money is on Schill tonight, he loves pitching in this kind of spotlight against the Yanks, lets hope he rises to the occasion. I hope the bats stay hot and we take this one to take the series, it would be huge to take 4 of 6 from the yankees in NY and I think it will be significant when september rolls around.

Sureal
05-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Ok so he absolutely stunk that one up. Never seen Schill get smacked up like that. Just wasn't his night. By the way Youk is the man. Every AB he has goes full it seems. This guy is an all-star in the making IMO

Off day today

Newc
05-24-2007, 10:06 AM
That was pathetic. I don't know what is going on with Schill this year but he is really struggling. Last night used to be the kind of game that he would get amped up for and throw 6 to 7 strong innings. Now, 6 runs in 4 innings?

I understand that its Yanks/Sox and that the yankees get up for these games big time, but the Sox need to learn how to step on the throttle when we are in these positions. I was really hoping that taking 2 of 3 would help continue the yanks slide through to the all-star break. It would have been nice to have a 14 or 15 game lead on them by the break, but I really think this will be a motivating series for the yanks and I wouldn't be surprised to see them reel off some winning streaks here now. Lets hope their trip to see the angels can slow them back down.

ACamp1900
05-25-2007, 03:45 PM
I love how much unsolicited hate the Sox get from other fans...must mean we are doing something right, dominating the AL may just be that.

nothing negative that comes bo sox fans way is EVER unsolicited... just thought i'd clear that up

Newc
05-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Maybe so, but the Sox fans on this site have been nothing but civil and respectful, so maybe your arguments would hold more water on other forums.

Sureal
05-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Anyway back to baseball again,

we are 12.5 games up as of Today. I been away so I have to check on who is pitching tonight...

Newc
05-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Beckett is back on the bump for the Sox tonight facing off against a struggling Sowers, so hopefully we can put up another win and continue our roll.

By the way, Schilling looked incredible last night, its been a while since Schill has put up 10 Ks like that.

If the Sox stay on this roll, with Clemens not looking to come back till after the Sox/Yanks series coming up, I really think we can put the yankees away for good at Fenway. 13.5 game lead is quite nice and if we take 2 or 3 at fenway I really think the yanks will no longer be in the picture.

Newc
05-29-2007, 11:16 PM
14.5 game lead over whatever you call that thing in new york...Youk hitting in 21 straight....Beckett goes to 8-0. This is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen

Sureal
05-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Youk is the man!!! Beckett did a great job. I am thinking he is going to be consistant throughout the year...

By the end of the season, maybe even during the all-star break, Cashman will be packing up his office...

Dice-K is up tonight.

Newc
05-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Beckett will easily get 20 wins this year for sure, talk about rediscovering yourself as a pitcher and really molding your abilities to fit the AL.

As far as Cashman, rumors have been floatiing around that it could be sooner than the all-star break. I don't think I could disagree with his firing either. Like George said, Cashman wanted all the power and has not provided the results that the Yankees want. Instead of construcitng a winning team (like the ones with Brosius, O'Neill, Jeter of the late 90s) he went out and nabbed all the all-stars he could get but they don't play very well together.

While I do love the huge lead we have, I do kinda wish that we could have battled it out to the end with the Yanks, it just brings so much more excitement to the game.

Heres hoping Daisuke nabs another win and Youk continues the streak. Lets Go Sox!!

Sureal
05-30-2007, 03:43 PM
I know this is off the subject but it isn't worth a new thread but, I'm wondering if I should get Youk starting on my fantasy team in the place of Monreau... Any advice?

Newc
05-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Yikes, thats a hard one. Morneau is a good ball player with probably more power than Youk, but Youk is the prototypical slasher, which I personally love. You have to understand that during this streak Youk is hitting over .400 so his stats are looking pretty inflated, though he is a great piece on our team I doubt he can keep this going after the all-star break. Maybe pick him up and ride ths success out.

Newc
05-31-2007, 10:23 AM
I love how ESPN made a big deal about the Tribe winning last night. I'll take 2 of 3 from an AL Division leader every time. My only complaint was that bases loaded no out situation and we couldn't get anyone home, that hurts, but I can't complain about much more, we are on an absolute roll and these games are bound to happen every now and again.

Sureal
05-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Yeah it's difficult to get too angry about one loss. I'd rather take 3 out of 4 anyday against Cleveland.

Empire/ Sox this weekend. Let's take 2 out of 3 from them. They are an absolute mess over there. Their third baseman is not a true Yankee.
Even though I detest the very sight of their uniform, I still respect the way they play the game.
He is an idiot. He screams at the Jays third baseman 'mine' and the third baseman drops the ball. I wonder what Jeter thinks.
What is so bad is that we almost had him. Can you imagine?
I'm starting to dislike Schilling and I am DIE HARD Sox. Imagine if their third baseman was on our team. That guy is a creep...

Newc
05-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Haha...we'll sweep the Yanks when they come into Fenway. Thats a tough place to play and we have all the momentum and confidence now.

As for A-Rod, we did that stuff when we were kids playing at recess, I didn't know that pro ballplayers would try that kind of thing too. I guess when you are extremely desperate for a win you'll do anything.

Whats wrong with Schilling? Yea he is outspoken, but its not like he comes out and says incredibly stupid, irrelevant or untrue things. I wonder if Buster Olney still thinks his comments that the Sox don't need Clemens is ubsurd? After seeing Roger pitch those warm-up minor league games I think it is clear that he is aged quite a bit. He doesn't even look as good as he did last year and how is he going to react if he gets shelled in his first outing, I doubt the NY media will let him slide too much.

Oh well, heres to Youk keepin it going. Lets Go Sox!!

Sureal
05-31-2007, 11:51 AM
My beef with Schilling is that I get the feeling that he needs all the attention all the time so he will say stuff so that he can get it. I just want him to focus on the task at hand and keep his fastball down in the zone.

The Clemens comment wasn't obsurd it was the truth.

I know it's old news but the Barry Bonds comment about the infedility is the one that irritated me. Yeah we know that Bonds is guilty of using cow-ball juice. Ok. But leave his family out of it. What goes on in Barry BigHead's personal life is his business. By no means am I a Barry Bonds apologist but I won't go there with his family. That incident and the microphone loving-soapbox speeches irritates me as a pessimistic BoSox fan. I want a championship this year as I do every year. I don't want to hear about nothing else but strikes and wins from him. I'm know Tito told him to keep a lid on it. Hopefully he will for the rest of the season.

Newc
06-01-2007, 11:13 AM
The true, the Bonds comments were a little concerning. I just think Schilling, like most of us, are so sick of the whole steriod thing that he lashed out at who the public has made the steroid poster boy.

But more important than that, we have the yanks comin in this weekend for a three game series. Any predictions?

Sureal
06-01-2007, 11:33 AM
2 out of 3 from the bombers. Again they are a mess over there and I will be surprised if they take 2. I am hoping for a sweep but then being as pessimistic as I am...

Wake tonight against Wang--Tonight
Schill against Moose--Saturday
Pettite against Beckett--Sunday

notredomer23
06-02-2007, 07:50 AM
what happened?

Sureal
06-04-2007, 08:18 AM
Crap.

ND23-- Good hitting on the Yankee's part is what happened. Your third baseman did a heckuva job muscling out a good pitch from Papelbon. What are you going to do? Good game. I expect the Yankees to make a run by the end of the season.

The Oakland series is going to be an important series this week. We need to rebound and win this series.

Newc
06-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Yea, that stings pretty bad. Our big guys just weren't hitting the ball. Going into the bottom of the 9th down by one with Papi, Manny and Youk due up you would think we were sitting pretty, but what can you do? We'll rebound, its not like we are in a bad position here or anything. To put it in perspective, they only made up one game on us, so its not all that horrible. Lets hope we put a little win streak on now to pump up the confidence once again.

Sureal
06-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Ok. Enough already. The bullpen choked for the second game in a row.

Question: Should we bring up Ellsbury in the place of Crisp? Or is it too late?

Dice-K is up tonight.

Newc
06-05-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm not sure if I would rush Ellsbury right now. We still hold an very commanding lead in the division so I think we need to give Coco some more time to come around. He was a threat at the plate in Cleveland so hopefully he can find himself at the plate and return to that kind of player. And besides, there really is no pressing need to rush Ellsbury along, he'll be more usefull to the Sox next year after some more development.

This is the kind of game where Daisuke really needs to earn his paycheck. He's getting paid to be the kind of pitcher who can come in and right the ship and get Boston back on track, lets hope he really dominates out there tonight.

Sureal
06-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Still 10 up on the Toronto so a two game streak ain't too bad. I just do not want June to be a .500 month. We need to beat this team the next two games and restore some order. I wonder if Hideki is a little fatigued...

Sureal
06-06-2007, 08:19 AM
5 friggin double plays...

That is all I am saying today.

Newc
06-06-2007, 11:33 AM
I don't know whats goin on with the Sox right now. You can't hit into 5 double plays in one game, come on. Someone in that situation has to get the ball lifted there. Daisuke pitched a pretty good game, only giving up 2 to a pretty decent hitting ballclub, now where is our run support?? This team should be able to consistantly put up runs; I'm not sure what is going on with them, it seems like it is taking them a little while to get hot at the plate. We need like a 20 hit game to get the confidence back and get the bats hot! Come on SOX!

Sureal
06-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Pst.

I should be a Kansas City Royal fan. At least they can expect to lose 4 in a row.
They are starting to make me sick.

Newc
06-07-2007, 11:50 AM
I really don't know what to say about the Sox right now. With their talent they should never fall into these types of losing streaks.

On the bright side though, I did love Francona going out and chewing the home plate ump out after a horrible strike call on Pedroia. I know he gets a lot of criticism for being too much of a laid back coach, but I really think he is one of the best in the bigs.

The weight is now on Schill's shoulders and he needs to pull the Sox out of this skid. If he goes out and pitches a hell of a game and gets the win, then I will forgive him for all of his chatter this season.

Sureal
06-07-2007, 04:15 PM
newc122--we are playing today (as I finish up my revenue report)

lorangatane
06-07-2007, 05:52 PM
schilling one out away from a no hitter and thr is a liner past 2nd base

still a great game

thnk god no for game sweep

Sureal
06-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Schill was sick!!! Thank you Schill. You are forgiven. We needed that because if we lost yesterday I would have switched teams and ran with the Royals. Whew!!!

Newc
06-08-2007, 10:08 AM
A thing of pure beauty! This will get the Sox back on track for sure.

Newc
06-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Very good game pitched by Wake last night. I think that its very clear that his knuckleball is much more effective against teams other than the yankees, they just see it way too often. Glad to see him go out and dominate like that and who can still remain unamazed by the splendor that is Paps. I still get goosebumps seeing him torch guys, I have a feeling Helton wished he was in a Sox uni after his wiff on strike three there to end the game.

mlcspinner
06-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Red Sox are still in first place. What a feeling!!!

Newc
06-13-2007, 12:57 PM
And we will stay that way!! With Lester waiting in the shadows and still a 9.5 game lead I don't see the Sox giving this one away. If you think about it, the Yanks are as hot as could be right now..what are they up to now, 9 straight....and the Sox have kind of been struggling and we still have the 9.5 game lead.

I'm not too afraid of Clemens either...a 5-3 victory over the Pirates? I guess its a good thing that the Yanks gave him another AAA start once he got to the majors.

Sometime in July Lester will don the Sox white and red, Tavarez will return to the pen and the Sox will just roll. Just think about it...starters go 6-7, then see Tavarez, then Oki then Paps, sounds like shutout baseball to me.

Newc
06-14-2007, 10:55 AM
How is it that Schilling can go from almost throwing a no hitter to getting rocked in the very next start? I'm not saying that I expected him to come out and repeat a performance like that, but Schill has always been a man that worked off momentum and I thought his last outing would have pumped him up for this one. I don't know, I'm just a little frustrated with how we have been playing lately, we need to get back into that winning mode.

mlcspinner
06-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Not only that but when are the bats going to come alive agian?

Newc
06-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Thats a good question. I have no idea what is going on with Manny and other than that 2 homer game from Drew he has been pretty non-existant, along with a slumping Lugo as well. Thats our 1, 4 and 5 guy that aren't performing they way that they should be. We need these guys to get back on track very soon; I can't believe our lead is only 7.5, rediculous.

mlcspinner
06-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Don't leave out Ortiz, he just doesn't seem to be hitting with power right now. The only good thing is if we win 2 out 3, and the yanks lose 2 out of 3, the lead will be back to 9.5. Maybe I'm wishing for to much.

Newc
06-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Well, you know with baseball you always have to play the averages. The Mets should be due for a little win streak, the yanks need to lose sooner or later and the Sox bats need to awaken. I hope that all comes to be this weekend. I would love to see a 9.5 game lead again and I think it would really boost the morale of the Sox again.

With all the hitting woes that the Sox have been expierencing this year I wonder if any of it can be traced back to the departure of Papa Jack, I know both Manny and Ortiz loved him and benefited from his presence.

Sureal
06-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Tough series coming up this weekend. San Fran is coming to town. I expected the Yanks to go on a run. It will come down to the last month. No way w/the lineup the Yanks got that we will run away with this division

mlcspinner
06-15-2007, 03:09 PM
We need to win 2 out 3 this weekend otherwise things will start to get very hot in Red Sox Nation. We can't get caught up with what the yanks are doing. This Friday nights game I think is very important. If we lose the S**** is going to hit the fan.

Newc
06-15-2007, 10:30 PM
There we go...way to start a series off. Hey, maybe the Yanks success has lit a fire under our boys' asses, a reminder that we won't just run away with the division by going through the motions. Lets hope we keep up the fire we had tonight.

mlcspinner
06-16-2007, 06:46 AM
I wonder sometimes what gets a team going? I wonder if Ortiz being thrown out had something to do with it.

Sureal
06-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Good series sweep. Don't start watching scoreboards just concentrate on the games at hand. We needed that sweep. We are 19 games over the meniscus. Looking good.

Schilling is pitching next, hoping he gets his game corrected...

mlcspinner
06-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Right on Sureal, take care of the game at hand. Don't worry what other teams are doing.

bostonirish1908
06-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Was at fridays game, it was great pedroia puts all his body into his swing and puts it over in the 1st

GO SOX

Sureal
06-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Where were you sittin?

Newc
06-18-2007, 12:40 PM
True, we shouldn't start watching the standings here, but its easier said then done now with the Yanks getting hot. I would love to see the Sox keep the mo against a somewhat struggling Braves team, taking 2 of 3 or a sweep is what I am hoping for, especially since we face the Padres this coming weekend, could be a World Series preview, so putting a little smacking to them would be quite nice.

bostonirish1908
06-18-2007, 01:34 PM
i was sitting almost dead center field pretty high up

but it was a great game

mlcspinner
06-18-2007, 08:59 PM
has anyone sat in the green monster seats?

Newc
06-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Not yet, but I had first row seats right over the Sox bullpen and they were pretty sweet. Timlin kept throwing sunflower seed packages into the crowd.

irish0307
06-19-2007, 12:48 AM
Go Sox!!!!!!!!!

mlcspinner
06-19-2007, 07:07 AM
Didn't Schill almost throw a no hitter not to long ago? What happen, he didn't even last into the 5th inning

Sureal
06-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Schill is getting on my nerves. Beckett needs to show up tonight.
At least Crisp was hitting last night like he is supposed to. Did you see J.D Drew throw in the 3rd inning? Thorton hit a ball to right field and Drew cinder-block-footed his way to the ball and threw a paper ball to second as the runner slid into to the base a half a mile before the ball got there. AAAARRRGH!!!

Newc
06-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Yea I have no idea why Schill is pitching the way he is, its really upsetting. He came into this season as our veteran leader pitching in the no. 1 spot all the while complaining about how the Sox weren't going to resign him to another year. To be honest, that is beginning to look like a pretty good move by Theo right now. I understand that Schill is 6-4 so far, which compared to other AL pitchers isn't horrible, but you can't go out there and get shelled like that if you are our no. 1. I'm not sure if its an ego thing with Schill, as it is quite clear that Beckett is now our ace and savior, and Schill has been relegated to a role pitcher who isn't really relied apon anymore to right the ship.

If Beckett can go out tonight and grab a win, which I am very confident that he will do, then it will just solidify the fact that Beckett, not Schilling, is our man on the mound.

Lets just hope Schill settles in and pitches the way we all know that he can, we need his second half to be better than this half is going.

bostonirish1908
06-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Schillings not a young guy anymore

you cant expect him to pitch great forever, some point he is going to have to pitch not very well and realize his careers over, i just hope its not anytime soon

Newc
06-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Bostonirish, I completly agree. I guess its just hard for us Sox fans to admitt that our World Series hero is breaking down and on his way out. I have always liked the way Schilling has gone about pitching. Being from Delaware I got to see him quite a bit when he pitched for the Phillies and I guess its just hard to watch someone like him begin the downward slide.

Believe me when I say I am not giving up on Schill, I will continue to expect wins from him every time he touches the rubber, I guess thats why I continue to get frustrated when he pitches like a 40 year old.

Sureal
06-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Schillings not a young guy anymore

you cant expect him to pitch great forever, some point he is going to have to pitch not very well and realize his careers over, i just hope its not anytime soon

If he can give us 5-6 innings a start and not get stomped I am happy. That is what is irritating me. It is in the beginning of his starts is where he is getting touched too much.
I don't need to see CG's all the time. I say perserve the arm and concentrate on getting 5-6 solid. Let the bullpen put in some work.

J.C Romero got dumped yesterday.
Is Jon Lester on the way? Taverez (doing a great job) relegated to pen-work?

Newc
06-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Yea I saw that this morning. With Romero gone completely I wonder what the next move for the Sox is. I know Romero was sent down to AAA in order to bring Timlin up, so if Lester were to come back someone would have to be optioned down. I know Lopez still has options left so he could be a canidate, but he has been pitching pretty well lately and it would be nice to have that spot lefty in the pen for a quick out.

Not sure what the Sox have in mind, but I would love to see Lester back in the show.

Sureal
06-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Beckett mowed 'em down. There is no doubt about it. He is our ace the year and for years to come. Good quip by Remy saying that Crisp is the best defensive CF in the majors right now. I just hope his bat gets consistant. I didn't check to see who has the ball today.

Newc
06-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Tavarez is going for us tonight...I expect him to win.

Coco is incredible in the field, I really hope his bat come around because Theo is beginning to get the heat turned up on him as the trade deadline is approaching.

Steve Phillips, who I can't stand one little bit, did make a good point the other night saying that the Sox have little to worry about because their biggest offensive weapons have yet to get hot, and the longer they can go winning with mild bats the better off they are, because it is inevitable that they will get hot and when they do look out, this will be the best team in baseball by far.

Lots of guys are saying this is the best Boston team they have seen in a long while....lets just hope that translates into on-field play.

Sureal
06-20-2007, 10:46 AM
If we can avoid those hideous 4-6 game losing streaks...

bostonirish1908
06-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Coco Crisp congrats you are over .240 now your hitting better, stealing better, and fielding better

keep it up your really helping us out

Newc
06-20-2007, 02:29 PM
I really hope he keeps it up. I really like Coco and I think if he can get that BA to around .260-.270 he would be a huge contributor to our success. I don't think there are too many CF that are better defensively.

mlcspinner
06-20-2007, 07:50 PM
If we win tonight and the yanks lose the lead will be back to 10 games Go Soxs

mlcspinner
06-20-2007, 09:18 PM
7-0 so far GO SOXS

mlcspinner
06-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Lead is back to 10 games

Sureal
06-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Bam!!! Way to go Tavares!!! Tough series coming up against the Fathers.
Crisp is starting to wake up. Manny and Papi goes yard again. Good stuff...

Newc
06-21-2007, 10:45 AM
How nice was it to see Papi and Manny homer in the same game again? Hopefully this is a sign that they are starting to wake up.

Loved the lead off homer by Drew and I was so happy to see Crisp go deep, I really do think he can become the offensive player he was a few years ago and to be honest, I'd like to hang on to him long term if he continues to show improvement. We could always put Ellsbury in right when he comes up.

mlcspinner
06-21-2007, 06:14 PM
I hope Drew is OK ? anybody hear why he was taken out?

mlcspinner
06-21-2007, 06:55 PM
also just to let you know the yanks lost today

Newc
06-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Wow Yanks got swept by the Rockies...who have been playing well of late, though the Sox took care of businees against them,all behind their savior Clemens. Now back to a 10.5 game lead...maybe all that steem has worn off.

Sureal
06-22-2007, 10:31 AM
I won't count them out their lineup is too tough

Newc
06-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Oh I agree, you can never take the yanks lightly, however, 10.5 games this far into the season is going to be quite difficult to make up unless our pitchers start hitting the DL. If we stay healthy the Yanks won't catch us, there is no way they can outplay our club.

mlcspinner
06-22-2007, 08:17 PM
I just read on boston.com that Lester is not coming up Kason Gabbard is. I thought Lester was ready?

NDgettysburg
06-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Why couldn't they win game 1 in Atlanta? Dammit.....was the last game of my baseball road trip with the fam. Hit PNC in Pittsburgh first (gotta be the nicest stadium in the league), then on to Cincy, then spent all of Father's Day driving to Atlanta to see the Sox get man-handled (Shilling looked like Shitling) on Monday. LOADS of Sox fans in the stadium....we constantly had the place chanting Lets Go Red Sox, even until the end. Worst part was that the wife is a Braves fan so I had to listen to shite.....until the next 2 games were played.

mlcspinner
06-23-2007, 08:38 PM
yanks lose in the 13th Go Soxs. We need the bats to hit tonight and make the lead 11.5

Newc
06-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Why couldn't they win game 1 in Atlanta? Dammit.....was the last game of my baseball road trip with the fam. Hit PNC in Pittsburgh first (gotta be the nicest stadium in the league), then on to Cincy, then spent all of Father's Day driving to Atlanta to see the Sox get man-handled (Shilling looked like Shitling) on Monday. LOADS of Sox fans in the stadium....we constantly had the place chanting Lets Go Red Sox, even until the end. Worst part was that the wife is a Braves fan so I had to listen to shite.....until the next 2 games were played.

That is awesome, I have always wanted to take an across the country trip and see a game played in every stadium.

Newc
06-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Beckett shows Peavy how its done as the Sox look pretty darn good right now. Yanks fall to 11.5 games back and are taken over by the Jays, what a beautiful sight.

Sureal
06-26-2007, 09:13 AM
I just read on boston.com that Lester is not coming up Kason Gabbard is. I thought Lester was ready?

I don't get that move. Maybe there is something that we don't know about.

Who has the ball tonight?

Newc
06-26-2007, 10:12 AM
I've heard that Gabbard is being chosen over Lester because they don't want to interupt Lester's progress. I guess they still thinks he has some work to do and would rather him do it in AAA than the Majors, they don't want him coming up and pressing too hard and doing more damage than good.

Gabbard has the ball tonight against Hernandez, who has been struggling since he shut us down earlier in the season, I say we get some revenge tonight and help out our new young starter, though he did get the win against Atlanta when he spot started for Beckett.

mlcspinner
06-26-2007, 08:31 PM
I think Lester is from Seattle and they might not want to add that extra pressure of having family and friends there

NDgettysburg
06-26-2007, 09:35 PM
That is awesome, I have always wanted to take an across the country trip and see a game played in every stadium.
I hit alot of stadiums when I work out of town but this was the first time we did a family road trip....was surprised that neither of my sons did any bitching about sitting through 3 games, nearly in a row. One son likes the Braves, the other the Sox, so the first 2 games we didn't see any of our favorite teams. We went more to see the stadiums.

I shoulda had a foul ball in Pittsburgh. We were behind the plate about eye level with the top of the screen, maybe a little lower. Said before the game, there's no way we get a ball back where we were...too far back for one of those up the chimney shots and too low for one that clears the screen (figuring the arc of the ball wouldn't drop enough for us. First inning....my older son had my glove. He's sitting next to me on the left, fiddling with the glove. I'm holding my camera with the big-ass zoom lens on it.

For whatever reason I turn to him and say "lemme see that" as I try to get it on my hand while still holding the camera. Still facing him, I'm telling him I don't remember when I got that glove. I hear the people around us sort of let out a gasp so I look up. Here comes the ball but about 2 seats to my right or so. Next to me is a friggin' Yankees fan with his 2 young sons. The ball is pretty much headed for this kid's face. Neither the Dad or the kids seemed to be paying attention (at least to my recollection). Since I'm left-handed, I flash out the glove at the last second and the ball goes off the top of the webbing. Of course I get the shit booed out of me (hope to God I didn't end up on Fox Pittsburgh)....but I probably saved that kid from a really wicked shiner.

Oh....the ball ended up going down a row or 2 and someone passed it back up to the kid next to me. For the rest of the game he's playing with it despite his father telling him to put it away or he'll lose it. Eight inning comes around and sure enough he drops it....it rolls to the bottom of the section. We see some little girl carrying it out as the game ends.

I'll never hear the end of it....especially because my wife and kids call me Al Bundy for bragging about how I never dropped a fly ball or a pass when I was younger. :)

Sureal
06-27-2007, 09:43 AM
we need you tonight dice-k. But on a lighter note:

Must see: Clemens in 2057 - Extra Bases (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/06/a_mustsee.html)

Sureal
06-27-2007, 09:49 AM
That Safeco park is a nightmare. It seems we NEVER win there. I dread going there and to Oakland. King Felix wasn't even on top of his game and we still lost. Gabbard can't be throwing up paperballs like that either. I watched the first inning and it looked terrible from the start. I fell asleep after that. Get Lester up here!!!

Newc
06-27-2007, 10:13 AM
I hit alot of stadiums when I work out of town but this was the first time we did a family road trip....was surprised that neither of my sons did any bitching about sitting through 3 games, nearly in a row. One son likes the Braves, the other the Sox, so the first 2 games we didn't see any of our favorite teams. We went more to see the stadiums.

I shoulda had a foul ball in Pittsburgh. We were behind the plate about eye level with the top of the screen, maybe a little lower. Said before the game, there's no way we get a ball back where we were...too far back for one of those up the chimney shots and too low for one that clears the screen (figuring the arc of the ball wouldn't drop enough for us. First inning....my older son had my glove. He's sitting next to me on the left, fiddling with the glove. I'm holding my camera with the big-ass zoom lens on it.

For whatever reason I turn to him and say "lemme see that" as I try to get it on my hand while still holding the camera. Still facing him, I'm telling him I don't remember when I got that glove. I hear the people around us sort of let out a gasp so I look up. Here comes the ball but about 2 seats to my right or so. Next to me is a friggin' Yankees fan with his 2 young sons. The ball is pretty much headed for this kid's face. Neither the Dad or the kids seemed to be paying attention (at least to my recollection). Since I'm left-handed, I flash out the glove at the last second and the ball goes off the top of the webbing. Of course I get the shit booed out of me (hope to God I didn't end up on Fox Pittsburgh)....but I probably saved that kid from a really wicked shiner.

Oh....the ball ended up going down a row or 2 and someone passed it back up to the kid next to me. For the rest of the game he's playing with it despite his father telling him to put it away or he'll lose it. Eight inning comes around and sure enough he drops it....it rolls to the bottom of the section. We see some little girl carrying it out as the game ends.

I'll never hear the end of it....especially because my wife and kids call me Al Bundy for bragging about how I never dropped a fly ball or a pass when I was younger. :)

Thats awsome man, you're kids are gonna look back on all that one day and be really glad they had the oppurtunity to do that with their dad. I remember ball games with my dad, some of the best times of my life.

Newc
06-27-2007, 10:14 AM
we need you tonight dice-k. But on a lighter note:

Must see: Clemens in 2057 - Extra Bases (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/06/a_mustsee.html)

Haha, I think that was on ESPN the other night as well. Gotta love the part when he falls asleep.

Newc
06-27-2007, 10:20 AM
That Safeco park is a nightmare. It seems we NEVER win there. I dread going there and to Oakland. King Felix wasn't even on top of his game and we still lost. Gabbard can't be throwing up paperballs like that either. I watched the first inning and it looked terrible from the start. I fell asleep after that. Get Lester up here!!!

Its funny how some teams just can't seem to beat others...kind of like when the Angels come into Fenway.

We really missed a few good oppurtunities to score early in the game, had baseses loaded and only drove in one, men on first and second with no outs and ground into a double play then strike out to end the inning. If we were able to get just a clutch hit there the game would have turned dramatically.

As for Gabbard, I can't believe a pro pitcher can walk in runs on three occassions. Its sad when you look at the box score and see three different guys going 0-0 with and RBI....COME ON! I would really love to sit in on the discussion between Francona, Ferrell and Theo about the progress of Lester, because if there isn't something that is holding him back I say let the kid loose. I don't see him getting down on himself if he has a rough outing or something considering he fought off cancer and got himself back ready for the majors.

Sureal
06-28-2007, 02:15 PM
yeah. So we choked that series away. can't blame that on Dice-K. Schill is out until the All-Star Break. BRING UP LESTER!!! I will be screaming that until it happens.

Wake is up tonight.

Newc
06-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Wake pitched a hell of a game and you gotta love Pedroia jumping up into Pap's face to get him to calm down and head back to the mound during the argument at first base, that would have been killer having him run from the game.

Sureal
07-02-2007, 12:08 PM
we need to win the majority of our games up until the All-Star break...

Did you guys check out the Aug. Schedule? Brutal...

mlcspinner
07-02-2007, 12:18 PM
The skid STOPS tonight !!!

mlcspinner
07-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Also the Yanks keep losing too.

NDgettysburg
07-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Also the Yanks keep losing too.
At some point ya gotta stop looking at the Yankees and pay more attention on the 2nd place team :)

mlcspinner
07-02-2007, 08:07 PM
never take your eyes off the yanks, they have to much talent and at some point they will make a run at us.

Newc
07-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Yea, the yanks will continue to be watched by the Sox and their fans, its just the way it is.

Good offensive showing last night by our boys and Gabbard didn't look too bad either. Gotta love Pedroia at the plate as well, can you say ROY?

Sureal
07-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Yea, the yanks will continue to be watched by the Sox and their fans, its just the way it is.

Good offensive showing last night by our boys and Gabbard didn't look too bad either. Gotta love Pedroia at the plate as well, can you say ROY?

Absolutely. The guy is one of my favorites. We still need Papi and Manny to start smacking them out.

You have to be excited about Jacob Ellsbury (mispelled). Man that guy can flat out fly!!! We need him to run a couple of fly patterns for the Irish!!! He is another Jose Reyes type. The only thing that reminds me of the Traitor (Damon) is his stance. Everything else is Jose IMO. The future looks bright. I was searching the minor league sites and I can't find a viable power hitting prospect in our farm but man do we got some arms (pitchers)...

Newc
07-03-2007, 11:22 AM
From what I have heard Ellsbury is flat out amazing. I didn't even realize we had called him up till I saw that he scored on the passed ball last night. I wonder if he is auditioning for post July 31st.

As far as the farm system goes, the Sox don't have too many top notch position players, but our young pitchers look awesome, especially considering Lester is still one of them. Not to sound like I am pushing him out, but I don't believe that the Sox will be taking a step back when Schill leaves, it seems like we have the pieces to put into place which should make all Sox fans a little more comfortable about the future.

mlcspinner
07-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Red Sox Win, it's the 4th, and life is good

Sureal
07-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Who has the ball tonight?

Newc
07-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Beckett keeps rolling, Lowell has killer night and Coco with a grand slam...it really doesn't get much better.

I really don't see how the Sox can be caught this year, especially since Manny and Papi haven't even dialed in their swings, they are gonna be monsters in the second half!

Sureal
07-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Okajima is an All-Star (no-brainer). Beckett was mowing them down something awful. The second half will be interesting. August is a killer month check out the schedule when you get a chance...

mlcspinner
07-07-2007, 07:08 AM
What happen last night ??? Did anything go right ????

Newc
07-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Okajima is an All-Star (no-brainer). Beckett was mowing them down something awful. The second half will be interesting. August is a killer month check out the schedule when you get a chance...

August being killer as in bad for us or good? Just looked at the schedule and it appears to give us the advantage. 6 games against Tampa Bay, who we dominate, 6 against Baltimore who we should dominate, 4 against the White Sox who can't win a game to save their lives, 7 against the Angels, who, while they are a good team seem to struggle against the Sox, 3 at Yankee stadium, you can never predict anything between the Sox and Yanks, but it should go our way and then 3 against Seattle, who has been spanking us this year.

Predicted August Record: 20-9
Manny and Papi will get hot after the break, Schilling will come back rested and on a mission and things will continue to click. There is something very different about this year Sox team that we haven't seen in a long while. The pitching is really killing teams and our big name guys aren't constantly saving us games, role players are really contributing and the team on a whole is really playing well, thats the kind of stuff that makes World Series Champs...this team is much better than the '04 team, because its a whole team effort this year. We should all be very excited!!

Sureal
07-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Got smacked around this weekend. I expected a tough series but not our starters getting bumped so early. Ok. Time to get rested up and get to business come the second half of the season.

Newc
07-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Yea that was a rough way to end the first half, especially against a team we will most likely see in the post season. The last two games were very close, we missed some opportunities on saturday when we went to extra innings and had the tying run on third on sunday, both games could have easily gone our way, but it just didn't work out that way.

Lets hope this break gives our boys some time to rest up and come back fired up in the second half.