PDA

View Full Version : #1 Draft Pick

IRISHDODGER
04-26-2007, 09:52 PM
The stories continue to swirl as to who will be the prized #1 pick this Saturday. In the meantime, some of these players are coming w/ some excess baggage:

Adrian Peterson reportedly needs surgery on his collarbone after re-injuring it in their bowl game.

Marshawn Lynch has been accused of sexual assault. No, he's not a candidate for the first pick, but he was expected (& may still be) a first rounder.

JaMarcus Russell hasn't shown that he possesses the decision-making leadership that he will be expected to display as a pro. He also hasn't run a sophisticated offense like he'll be expected to do in the pros. Perception is reality and he isn't perceived as a workout fanatic (as witnessed by his "fanny pack" pooch). After all the experts drooled over the fact that he can throw the ball 80 yds while sitting on the toilet w/ a magazine in one hand & a football in the other, they're starting to realize that no play in the NFL involves throwing from your ass, much less your knee. All that being said, the Raiders will probably snag him first.

Calvin Johnson admitted he smoked pot in college. Personally, I'd be suprised if this hurt him that much. The kid was at least honest, more than his peers can probably say & as long as he's no Ricky Williams w/ the hippie lettuce, he should still be a top 2/3 pick.

All this being said, according to John Clayton, the Raiders will probably take Russell w/ the first pick b/c possible trades fizzled out for a veteran QB. There's a case to be made, that no team should take a QB as the first pick b/c Peyton Mannings come around once a generation & the rest have been picked by poor teams that couldn't support their rookie QB after he was thrown to the wolves early in his career. And, as seen w/ Ryan Leaf & the Chargers, these teams put a lot of pressure on these kids to be the team's savior.

i think that's where Brady Quinn has the advantage over his peers. He was under greater scrutiny than some NFL QBs last year as he was the frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy & playing on the most recognizable team in college football who were supposed to be amongst the contenders for the NC. He's also spent his fair share of time being knocked on his ass by porous O-lines & as a frosh/soph raw talent who was still feeling his way around the huddle. I'm confident he can make the transition as an NFL QB on a below average team...I just don't want to see him on a team where the deck is stacked too high against him where any QB would be doomed for failure. So for that, I hope the Raiders do take Russell.

stonebreakerwasgod
04-26-2007, 10:04 PM
You'll know Al Davis is interfering too much if they pick Johnson.

IRISHDODGER
04-26-2007, 10:20 PM
You'll know Al Davis is interfering too much if they pick Johnson.

As many WR busts as we've seen the last few years, I'd bet on johnson being a better pro than Russell. Just my opinion, but CJ can fly & jump & excel w/ a below average QB like Reggie Ball in college; whereas Russell has the entire offense in his hands.

stonebreakerwasgod
04-26-2007, 10:29 PM
The smart pick would be Quinn. Russell could have a bigger upside if we were talking strictly QB's.

IRISHDODGER
04-26-2007, 10:34 PM
The smart pick would be Quinn. Russell could have a bigger upside if we were talking strictly QB's.

IMO, that's the point. Russell "could" have a bigger upside. I realize it's all projection, but what has Russell done on the gridiron to show he is the next Dan Marino, John Elway or Peyton Manning? He led his multi-talented LSU Tigers to a rout of the overrated Fighting Irish of Notre Dame in which he had far better stats than his opponent's QB. That being said, you & I would have better stats if we played on that LSU team vs. that ND defense. Can you imagine what Brady would've done to a similar defense? Hell, half of Russell's big play passes looked like the equivalent of a punt.

stonebreakerwasgod
04-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Can you imagine what Quinn would have done if we had a kick ass running game?

Junkhead
04-26-2007, 11:43 PM

The Russell upside is he is mostly potential being out of shape and partly unproven. With Quinn, they know what they are getting, but the *risk* isn't there. I have a strong feeling Russell will be flipping (and eating) burgers in a few years. Not to wish failure on anyone, but he is WAY overhyped. Possible top pick, maybe. Smart, dedicated, and talented enough to warrant a #1 pick, not in my eyes.

stonebreakerwasgod
04-26-2007, 11:45 PM
I think the latest ND QB busts are hurting Quinn. It will be interesting to see how they all fare.

iloveirish_12
04-27-2007, 06:53 AM
I hope Quinn doesn't go to the Browns, I hate the browns.

IRISHDODGER
04-27-2007, 11:19 PM
The Russell upside is he is mostly potential being out of shape and partly unproven. With Quinn, they know what they are getting, but the *risk* isn't there. I have a strong feeling Russell will be flipping (and eating) burgers in a few years. Not to wish failure on anyone, but he is WAY overhyped. Possible top pick, maybe. Smart, dedicated, and talented enough to warrant a #1 pick, not in my eyes.

I wouldn't want to predict the NFL future of any QB b/c it seems they are impossible to project. Like I said, a Peyton Manning only comes around once every decade or so. Based on the fact that Russell was only a starter for 2 years, was in an oversimplified offense that pales in comparison to the NFL & he wasn't even discussed as an early entry into the NFL draft until he picked apart the mighty defense of Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl (at least as I recall), I tend to compare him to Ryan Leaf...but that's probably unfair. With the way ND's luck has been, Quinn will be a bust & Russell will be the next Terry Bradshaw.

HereComeTheIrish
04-27-2007, 11:23 PM
I hope Quinn doesn't go to the Browns, I hate the browns.

And we hate you...toolbox. :)

In the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit.

Amen.

stonebreakerwasgod
04-27-2007, 11:38 PM
It will be interesting to see who trades down.

IRISHDODGER
04-27-2007, 11:40 PM
It will be interesting to see who trades down.

Latest I heard is that Detroit is talking to Tampa Bay about trading down.

stonebreakerwasgod
04-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Detroit better not take another WR! They should get someone on defense or an OL.

LOVEMYIRISH
04-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Can you imagine what Quinn would have done if we had a kick ass running game?

This is so true... It was his arm that carried the season...and it was despite the lack of pressure from the running game.

stonebreakerwasgod
04-28-2007, 01:03 AM
I hope we don't say next year.."Can you imagine if we had an experienced QB and OL"?

stonebreakerwasgod
04-28-2007, 01:04 AM
Hey C2K, good to see ya again.

Stalking_Eagle
04-28-2007, 02:00 AM
As many WR busts as we've seen the last few years, I'd bet on johnson being a better pro than Russell. Just my opinion, but CJ can fly & jump & excel w/ a below average QB like Reggie Ball in college; whereas Russell has the entire offense in his hands.
Johnson might be able to do all this but he is no good to any team if they don't have a QB to get the ball in the air to CJ.

notredomer23
04-28-2007, 05:56 AM
I hope hes a raider bc some of my friends are raiders fans but i personally think hes a brown

notredomer23
04-28-2007, 12:23 PM
jamarcus russell. they passed on the best qb in the draft. Oh well either browns or lions probably now

Junkhead
04-28-2007, 12:25 PM
They talk about him like he is God. He better be able to throw a 65yd pass from his back....since he's a Raider.

domerfor life
04-28-2007, 12:26 PM
I heard the Browns may take Joe Thomas and Quinn may drop to the Dolphins.

notredomer23
04-28-2007, 12:31 PM
2nd pick goes to calvin

notredomer23
04-28-2007, 12:43 PM
wtf joe thomas was taken by the browns. My sympathies to the many browns fans on this site.

kjones
04-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Well, looks like BQ might be on a good team next year after all. Though i'm sure he's disappointed. For myself, rooting for him just got a little easier.

IrishAlum1997
04-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Any chance Miami passes and he goes to Houston at #10? I know they just got Schaub, but he is an unproven commodity. Quinn holding the clipboard for 8 or 9 games is fine by me.

IRISHDODGER
04-28-2007, 01:37 PM
I hope we don't say next year.."Can you imagine if we had an experienced QB and OL"?

I don't think we'll be saying this about the OL. They may be young, but if the Irish change the face of their offense to a run-first threat, you'll see some big boys knocking some guys on their asses while clearing the lanes. As most OL will tell ya, they'd rather hit (run block) than be hit (pass block) when it comes to getting physical.

irishunclebill
04-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Falcons take Jamaal Anderson.

irish9331
04-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Is it just me or do you see Brady ending up in Buffalo?