PDA

View Full Version : Schilling's Sock

IRISHDODGER
04-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Where you at BoSox fans? I can't believe nobody has brought the subject of the day up yet. According to Orioles (& sometimes ESPN) announcer, Gary Thorne, Curt Schilling painted his sock red to appear bloody in the '04 WS for PR purposes. He cited catcher, Doug Mirabelli, as the source.

I like Schilling even though he's his own biggest fan at times, so I was glad to see this story is BOGUS. Mirabelli said he's never even heard of Gary Thorne & the baseball HOF confirmed the blood on Schilling's sock from that game was, in fact, his blood.

I always liked listening to Thorne. He calls a good game. The only thing I can guess is that he overheard Schilling's teammates razzing him about the sock & joking that it was actually red paint & Thorne took it as gospel. It doesn't help Schill's cause that the Boston media hates him, so I'm sure they jumped all over this "story" w/ both feet.

stonebreakerwasgod
04-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Rome covered this story today. I caught the end of it, and all I got was that Rome didn't know what the hell was going on.

lorangatane
04-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Mirabelli denies that he ever said anything about it and restated the truth that the sock was bloody and not"painted on"

IRISHDODGER
04-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Mirabelli denies that he ever said anything about it and restated the truth that the sock was bloody and not"painted on"

Yeah, I thought I noted that Mirabelli had not even heard of Gary Thorne. That's why I bolded the word BOGUS b/c I realize this story was a fabrication & that Schilliing didn't paint his sock. I heard Kevin Millar on Dan Patrick's show recounting the story of that pre-game when the doctor conducted Schill's surgery right there in their clubhouse & Curt went from not being able to walk to being able to pitch the gem that he did.

I was just suprised no one had posted this subject yet...esp. BoSox fans.

stonebreakerwasgod
04-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Must have been a slow news day.

Hero
04-27-2007, 02:02 AM
Rome covered this story today. I caught the end of it, and all I got was that Rome didn't know what the hell was going on.

Rome never knows what the hell is going on

Hero
04-27-2007, 02:07 AM

wouldn't you? I mean come on the guy is aware he is not a key piece to that team and they have no problem in trading him away faster that he can say his last name. This is coming from a yankee...I hope it was blood because in this day and era of baseball where everything has an asterisk and questions of roids circle everything I want one heroic story to tell my kids that I don't have to say at the end that "there was some speculations though".

Newc
04-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Haha, like IrishDodger said, someone probably overheard Schill's teammates ribbing him or joking with him that he had painted the sock red. I think most of us Boston fans really didn't say much because to be honest its not really that big of a deal. If people want to continue to bring this up...two years later then so be it, the fact remains that Schill did have to overcome a major setback and pitched incredibly, the bloody sock was just a little side story that we took pride in showing the determination or one of our team leaders, I don't think anyone can take away from Sox fans the way we felt about the '04 postseason and Schilling, even if it was Crylon.

celtic745
04-27-2007, 01:05 PM
The blood on the sock thats in the Hall of Fame has turned brown...which is, as you all know, what happens to blood when its out like that.

Thats enough proof for me.

Sureal
04-27-2007, 02:23 PM
The supposed sockgate story has to be the stupidest story ever to be 'front page sports news'. That reporter should get a life. The media needs to give us a break and talk about the ballgame instead of page 6 crap for a change.

Newc
04-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Curt made a really good point in his blog today saying its a shame that this is the type of front page sporting news today rather than the showcasing for the sports world that an Army vet who had both of his legs taken in the Iraq war threw out the first pitch of the game during a little ceremony before the game. I agree with what he stated in his blog talking about how trivial and moronic sports writers and the sports media (ESPN) have become, they truely are taking away from sports.

IRISHDODGER
04-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Haha, like IrishDodger said, someone probably overheard Schill's teammates ribbing him or joking with him that he had painted the sock red. I think most of us Boston fans really didn't say much because to be honest its not really that big of a deal. If people want to continue to bring this up...two years later then so be it, the fact remains that Schill did have to overcome a major setback and pitched incredibly, the bloody sock was just a little side story that we took pride in showing the determination or one of our team leaders, I don't think anyone can take away from Sox fans the way we felt about the '04 postseason and Schilling, even if it was Crylon.

You're exactly right. Theo Epstein had the best response. I can't do it justice but it was sweet. Bottom line: the Red Sox won the World Series & were crowned the champions of the baseball world & Schilling was a vital cog in that effort. The rest is just noise.