PDA

View Full Version : Jason Varitek

CrimsonIrish
04-04-2007, 07:35 PM
35 years of age is pretty old for a catcher and what I want to know is if you guys think we should take some time to shop around and find ourselves a younger catcher to get ready for the decline that Varitek will go through the next year or two? yes we have mirabelli but come on other than being able to catch Wakefield he really is kinda worthless and is older than Varitek. so who do we go after?
my wish list.....

1.Joe Mauer from the Twins
2. Mccan from the Braves
3. John Buck from the Royals

Newc
04-05-2007, 12:54 PM
First of all, what Tek lacks at the plate he more than makes up for it behind the plate. He is probably the best pitcher friendly catcher in MLB. He knows how to call a game with the best of them and has incredible relationships with all his pitchers. I thank God we had him with the addition of Daisuke in order to make his transition easier. There have been many times that Daisuke has said that Tek has really helped him feel comfortable and progress.

He is also the captain of our team for a reason, he's a cornerstone of the Sox. I can't help but think back to the time he kicked A-rods ass when he wanted to charge the mound, thats the type of guy you want behind the plate. Yea, Maurer and McCann flashed some really impressive numbers last year, but it won't last long as catching takes its toll on the batting average. Even the twins thought about moving Maurer out of the cathing role in order to save his body to keep his at bats so productive.

It will be a very sad day in Boston when Tek moves on, I will never wish him off the team.

CrimsonIrish
04-05-2007, 03:06 PM
I will never wish him off the team.
I don't either but we have to be logical about this and think that he is getting old and we don't want to be left out in the cold.

Newc
04-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Oh I know you didn't mean it that way, we will all be upset to see him go. I know what you mean though, we can't set ourselves up for a huge downfall when Tek does decide to leave or is forced (god forbid). The Sox have a promissing cather in George Kottaras(sp.) in AAA Pawtucket right now that they are pretty high on. From what I understand Tek was doing a pretty good job grooming him in spring training while still helping Daisuke transition to the MLB (thats the kind of intagables Varitek brings to the Sox, the abilty to focus on and help many of the younger guys). I saw Kottaras play in the Sox/ Phillies game in Philly and he looked pretty good behind the plate and at bat. Still young and a little raw but not too many players come into the big leagues ready to go. So, yes, we do have a backup plan, but I wouldn't expect to see it put into action for atleast 2 more years, unless injury forces Tek to leave.

CrimsonIrish
04-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Oh I know you didn't mean it that way, we will all be upset to see him go. I know what you mean though, we can't set ourselves up for a huge downfall when Tek does decide to leave or is forced (god forbid). The Sox have a promissing cather in George Kottaras(sp.) in AAA Pawtucket right now that they are pretty high on. From what I understand Tek was doing a pretty good job grooming him in spring training while still helping Daisuke transition to the MLB (thats the kind of intagables Varitek brings to the Sox, the abilty to focus on and help many of the younger guys). I saw Kottaras play in the Sox/ Phillies game in Philly and he looked pretty good behind the plate and at bat. Still young and a little raw but not too many players come into the big leagues ready to go. So, yes, we do have a backup plan, but I wouldn't expect to see it put into action for atleast 2 more years, unless injury forces Tek to leave.

What happened to the guy we brought up last year after Javy went stupid? his lastname had something to do with berry? I looked around he's not on our roster our any of our minor's either. I think he played in the last series against the Indians last year and wasn't overpowering but he got the job done.

Newc
04-06-2007, 10:11 PM
I can't remember who that might have been

celtic745
04-07-2007, 12:53 AM
What happened to the guy we brought up last year after Javy went stupid? his lastname had something to do with berry? I looked around he's not on our roster our any of our minor's either. I think he played in the last series against the Indians last year and wasn't overpowering but he got the job done.

Corky Miller maybe?
Ken Huckaby?

Umm, I know I saw Corky with someother team on a televised spring training game.
Huckaby, I don't know. He was pretty old, might have retired. I guess his name is the most "berry" like. He was probably the guy you meant.

But yeah, I think the front office would like to see how Kottaras does. He may be our guy.
I don't know how much longer Tek will play, but its almost hard to believe he's 35 now. I don't know if I can picture Vtek doing anything other than being a coach when he retires.
Speaking of coaching. Anyone know how Gabe Kapler is doing? Haven't heard much from him since the beginning of Spring Training.

lorangatane
04-07-2007, 12:25 PM
varitek is still a great leader and can still play well maybe see what you have in the minors before you go shopping around

CrimsonIrish
04-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Corky Miller maybe?
Ken Huckaby?

Umm, I know I saw Corky with someother team on a televised spring training game.
Huckaby, I don't know. He was pretty old, might have retired. I guess his name is the most "berry" like. He was probably the guy you meant.

But yeah, I think the front office would like to see how Kottaras does. He may be our guy.
I don't know how much longer Tek will play, but its almost hard to believe he's 35 now. I don't know if I can picture Vtek doing anything other than being a coach when he retires.
Speaking of coaching. Anyone know how Gabe Kapler is doing? Haven't heard much from him since the beginning of Spring Training.
Huckaby was it.

SillyIrish
04-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Nothing like wanting to send the captain down the road.

CrimsonIrish
04-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Nothing like wanting to send the captain down the road.

Tell me who wants to send our captain down the road? I can promise you that it is not a Boston fan. A Yankee has no room to talk seeing as how you guys are known for crucifing your own players.

Newc
04-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Bernie Williams??

SillyIrish
04-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Bernie Williams??

Bernie Williams was not a yankee captain.

CrimsonIrish
04-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Bernie Williams was not a yankee captain.
just because he didn't wear the "C" doesn't mean he wasn't a captain. I'm sure you could ask any of the yankjob players and they would tell you he was a captain.

Newc
04-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Exactly, he may not have been a captain, but he was probably the closest thing to it with Jeter. Besides, he was one of the few remaining ties to when the Yankess used to actually play clutch baseball, now they are just a bunch of prima donnas who never seem to come though when it counts (finishing off a team when they are up 3-0 in the ALCS comes to mind).

celtic745
04-09-2007, 11:38 AM
just because he didn't wear the "C" doesn't mean he wasn't a captain. I'm sure you could ask any of the yankjob players and they would tell you he was a captain.

Well, just because they don't wear the "C" also doesn't mean they aren't Captians. Some captains choose not to wear it. Bernie Williams was never an "official" captain, but he probably provided some leadership. Kind of like I think Mike Lowell provides some leadership in the clubhouse even though he's not the "captain".