PDA

View Full Version : Bears with 6th pick?

Junkhead
03-27-2007, 06:44 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2814052

They might be trading Lance Briggs to the Redskins and swapping picks. Goodbye Grossman, hello Quinn? <---I made that last part up. Interesting though.

jiggafini19
03-27-2007, 08:13 AM
I don't know that Quinn will be there for them to take, and they won't take a QB.

With needs at DT and CB, Michigan Skunk Bears Alan Branch and Leon Hall are viable options at that 6th spot for the Bears. Most likely Branch.

There is also safety LaRon Landry from LSU, another area the Bears might look to shore up.

ant80
03-27-2007, 09:35 AM
With needs at DT and CB, Michigan Skunk Bears Alan Branch and Leon Hall are viable options at that 6th spot for the Bears. Most likely Branch.rofl...

ShivaIrish
03-27-2007, 09:41 AM
What I don't understand is why the Bears are trading good players in order to swap draft picks in the same round. For Thomas Jones, they're just swapping 2nd round picks with the Jets. Were these moves a "cut-your-losses" type of move, especially with Briggs? He is, after all, considered one of the top weak-side linebackers. It just doesn't seem that these trades really are as beneficial for the Bears as the other teams.

Junkhead
03-27-2007, 10:09 AM
What I don't understand is why the Bears are trading good players in order to swap draft picks in the same round. For Thomas Jones, they're just swapping 2nd round picks with the Jets. Were these moves a "cut-your-losses" type of move, especially with Briggs? He is, after all, considered one of the top weak-side linebackers. It just doesn't seem that these trades really are as beneficial for the Bears as the other teams.

Briggs said he won't play another down for the Bears. As far as Jones, I think he will be missed. I really don't see the Bears reaching the SB again next year though.

NDBCSChamps
03-27-2007, 12:15 PM

Basically what Junkhead said, Briggs got hit with the franchise tag and said he doesn't want to play for the Bears ever again, unless he were to get a long term deal. So I think the Bears can get a replacement or defensive help at another position at 6 for less money then they would end up paying Briggs. As far as the Jones deal, they are basically giving the ball to Cedric Benson and telling him its his team, since they have 3rd pick(I think) money invested in him, so Jones ends up the odd man out. And I don't think the Jets really had anybody that the Bears were all that interested in so now they get to move up in the draft in the second round, and probably pay whoever they draft less then Jones was due to make. As far as the Quinn thing goes I would love to see it but I don't know if you can draft him because Grossman is so young that if he is named the starter after drafting Quinn and he actually has a consistant year then I think you get a Brees/Rivers situation like SD had a couple years back. They have to go defense with that pick.

notredomer23
03-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Quinn unfortunatly is either a raider or a lion, advantage lions

irish24notredame
03-27-2007, 11:21 PM
I sure hope the Bears don't take another running back. They are low on dt's, so maybe Okoye or, god help us, Branch. They could also use a safety as Mike Brown seems to get hurt every year. Daniel Manning, if the best option they have. Chris Harris is mediocra and Brandon McGowan didnt really see the field last year. Having said all of this, they'll probably take an offensive player if they got this pick...

NDBCSChamps
03-27-2007, 11:46 PM
I sure hope the Bears don't take another running back. They are low on dt's, so maybe Okoye or, god help us, Branch. They could also use a safety as Mike Brown seems to get hurt every year. Daniel Manning, if the best option they have. Chris Harris is mediocra and Brandon McGowan didnt really see the field last year. Having said all of this, they'll probably take an offensive player if they got this pick...

I don't see them taking a RB at 6 since they just dealt TJ. Even if Adrian Peterson is sitting there at 6 you have to pass because then what was the point of getting rid of Jones? Now if Calvin Johnson was still available at 6 I would run the card up as soon as they went on the clock. Only problem there is do they have a legit QB to get him the ball?

ShivaIrish
03-28-2007, 12:59 AM

It seems uncertain about Brown at this point--but Adam Archuleta seems to think he's got a starting safety spot wrapped up, whom the Bears acquired with a sixth round pick.