PDA

View Full Version : Boston Seeking Closer

Newc
03-19-2007, 02:28 PM
I saw on ESPN's site that Boston was in the mix to acquire a closer, but it was an insider article. Anyone know of any rumors or anything that could be in the works? This could be huge, even if we do have to give up a young arm so that we could solidify our chances this year.

notredomer23
03-19-2007, 05:11 PM
They are gonna need one. Badly

Newc
03-20-2007, 09:49 AM
I agree, you can only go so far on the back of your starting rotation. A lack of a quality closer could mean pushing the starters to go a little deeper in the game, which could impact their ability to perform through the end of the season. With an aging Schill, Dice-K new to the 5 day pitching schedule and Paps new to the MLB starter role, we could be in big trouble if we can't find a way to protect these guys and help them finish off their games. I know I've heard a few names thrown around, Cordero for one, I just am not so sure how effective a second-rate closer like that will perform in Boston, especially in those one run games they are trying to close out against the Yanks. Who knows, maybe by the end of May Clemens realizes that it would be a storybook ending to close out his career in Boston and we move Paps back to the pen....we'll all just have to wait and see.

celtic745
03-20-2007, 12:54 PM
There have been rumors that the red sox inquired about Derrick Turnbow. Apparently the red sox had a scout watching turnbow on friday, but the brewers GM Doug Melvin said he hadn't talked to the red sox recently.

There have also been rumors about Armando Benitez, but I think that pretty much feel through, but I don't really know. So, take this for what its worth.

SillyIrish
03-20-2007, 04:51 PM
If they are looking at Benitez things are starting to get pretty bad. My personal opinion is Pappelbon should have stayed the closer, the sox could've found a half way decent starter. But a good closer is so much tougher to find.

Newc
03-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Yea Benitez in not the answer to our closer woes. I think our closer by committee option right now would work better than Benitez. Like I said, just wait for Roger to return home and Paps will slide into the closer role while the Sox search for a closer to fill the spot for the '08 season.

SillyIrish
03-20-2007, 05:19 PM
I think Roger will end up back in pinstripes, but we'll see in a few months.

celtic745
03-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Yea Benitez in not the answer to our closer woes. I think our closer by committee option right now would work better than Benitez. Like I said, just wait for Roger to return home and Paps will slide into the closer role while the Sox search for a closer to fill the spot for the '08 season.

Closer by committee?
no no no no no

We all know how terribly that worked in 2003. Theo and company have also admitted that that was a terrible mistake and that they'd never do that again. Closer by committe is not a good thing.

notredomer23
03-20-2007, 08:33 PM
For closer, what happened to papelbon? is he a reliever now or just off the team. If your looking for a closer, I dont really think there is any one on the market. Heck this is off topic but is anyteam looking at bernie williams

celtic745
03-20-2007, 10:12 PM
There have been some concerns about papelbons arm health. Late last year he had to be taken out because he tweeked something in his arm. I think the red sox are hoping that by moving paps to a starter, which is what he originally was in the first place, and by not pitching everyday, or every other day, they can reduce the strain on his arm so he can finish out the year. I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if papelbon was the closer by the all-star break.

SillyIrish
03-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Just heard on ESPN radio Pappelbon to the bullpen to close games.

celtic745
03-22-2007, 06:07 PM
yeah, its offically offical. Paps is the closer. Tavarez to the rotation.