PDA

View Full Version : Up and Coming Yankee

SillyIrish
03-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Nice little article on 18 yrs old future Yankee. Seems that he has all the makings to be an offensive machine. I myself am excited this year for the season to start because the AAA Yankees moved to Scranton this year and I got season tickets. The stadium is only about 10 minutes from my house so 5 Apr. cant come soon enough. I'll definately keep everyone updated on the development of the future Yanks once the season starts.

http://www.norwalkadvocate.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyanks0309,0,7152953.story

notredomer23
03-10-2007, 09:42 AM
I heard hes gonna be the next big thing. also theres this guy from venezuela who is going to take posadas place but hes only 17 now so he cant play. Posada is good but this might be his last good season. the guy from venezuela is supposed to have more power than giambi and arod.

NDMANLAW1
03-11-2007, 08:26 PM
I heard the yankees are working on their farm teams instead of picking up free agents now. its good, i hated it when they would not use their farm teams. Do how you used to do in the 20s and 30s and 40s

BGIF
03-12-2007, 01:33 PM
I heard the yankees are working on their farm teams instead of picking up free agents now. its good, i hated it when they would not use their farm teams. Do how you used to do in the 20s and 30s and 40s

Back when the guy they BOUGHT from Boston was saving MLB?

ACamp1900
03-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Back when the guy they BOUGHT from Boston was saving MLB?

of course the "free agent market" if you will (unsigned young talent) was vastly different back then and they basically the same thing as they do now... but I believe he is referring to Gehrig, Joe D., Whitey Ford, The Mick and most of the others being "home grown" talents... but yeah, they still bought every one of them, they just did it with them before they were stars

and he is right, Cashman and the Yanks are making every effort to grow from within... I think they finally learned their lesson... at least to THAT degree

SillyIrish
03-12-2007, 07:18 PM
I like that the farm system is back up and running, but Jeter, Rivera, Posada and Williams were all products of it, who were all obviously very important piecies of the puzzle. Now with Wang and Cano, who will be a stud I really can't complain too much.

notredomer23
03-12-2007, 08:11 PM
we play the HOsox tonight. i dont care really bc it is spring training, but its still against the hosox

nd1
03-16-2007, 10:27 AM
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070315&content_id=1844649&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

heres another article on tabata. he going to be a beast if he keeps getting better.I think he will finish the year at aa this year unless he just tears the cover off the ball. He's a really talented kid. just think he's only 18 years old and he already being compared to manny.

BGIF
03-18-2007, 10:43 AM
of course the "free agent market" if you will (unsigned young talent) was vastly different back then and they basically the same thing as they do now... but I believe he is referring to Gehrig, Joe D., Whitey Ford, The Mick and most of the others being "home grown" talents... but yeah, they still bought every one of them, they just did it with them before they were stars

and he is right, Cashman and the Yanks are making every effort to grow from within... I think they finally learned their lesson... at least to THAT degree

There have been a number of cradle to grave Yankees like Gehrig, Rizzuto, Ford, Mantle, Munson, Mattingly, Jeter and Rivera. And many that played their first pro game under a Yankee minor league contract such as Skowron and Murcer. But The Yankee Clipper wasn't one of them. The Yankees bought Joe D from the San Franciso Seals in 1934. The Seals wanted 100K an unheard of sum for a minor league player in those day. NY paid $25K and a bunch of players. He didn't play for NY until '36.

There was a time that NY had a top ranked farm system but they ALWAYS bought talent, right from the start (see Jack Chesbro NY Highlanders). Herb Pennock was bought from the Boston Red Sox. As was Red Ruffing. The two of them were the backbone of the Yankees pitching staff in the 20's. Think about it, Ruth, Pennock, and Ruffing all courtesy of the BoSox. Home Grown, huh?

I grew up less than 30 minutes from The Stadium. I've seen a lot of Yankee baseball, read a lot about them as a kid, and learned even more from semi-pro player grandfather who hated the Yankees with a passion. Quite a few ball players from the Yankees, Dodgers, and Giants rented houses in my suburban town when I was a kid. I used to get fielding tips from Jerry Coleman.

The Yankees bought Maris from the K.C. A's long before Free Agency existed. The Superchief Allie Reynolds came from Cleveland, Lopat from the ChiSox , Mize from St Louis, Randolph from the Pirates and so on.

The Yankees have always had some home grown talent but they've always bought talent. That was one of the primary reasons they were so hated. Even before George they were willing to buy what they couldn't produce. And more times than not they bought well (Holtzman not included).

SillyIrish
04-20-2007, 03:19 AM
Hughes had a big day throwing six shutout innings with 10K's and giving up only two hits for the win. The Yanks will be slow in bringing this guy up so don't expect to see the 20 year until maybe Aug. or Sept. He is the real deal.