PDA

View Full Version : Official NL West Thread

Zephyr
01-15-2007, 09:01 PM
NL west is just getting stronger... IMO I think the Dodgers are going to have a Great year in 07'

IrishRamMan10
01-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Yah, I root for anyone playing the Giants... GO A's!!!

Zephyr
01-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Yah, I root for anyone playing the Giants... GO A's!!!

If there is one team I dislike in the NL west it is the Giants....

IRISHDODGER
01-15-2007, 10:18 PM
NL west is just getting stronger... IMO I think the Dodgers are going to have a Great year in 07'

Me too. It's been a long time since 1988 but what a year: ND nat'l champs & Dodgers World Series champs. Unfortunately, downhill ever since for both.

Zephyr
01-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Me too. It's been a long time since 1988 but what a year: ND nat'l champs & Dodgers World Series champs. Unfortunately, downhill ever since for both.

The pitching will be much stronger this year with the addition of Schmidt...Hendrickson avoiding arbritration and signing a new deal today was good news to...

IRISHDODGER
01-15-2007, 10:29 PM
The pitching will be much stronger this year with the addition of Schmidt...Hendrickson avoiding arbritration and signing a new deal today was good news to...

IMO, the biggest favor LA got was when JD Drew opted out of his contract in search of greener pastures. What an idiot! He must've really wanted outta LA, but I say good riddance! He's never lived up to his hype (always injured & never clutch) and his agent, Boras, hasn't help the situation. He got off on the wrong foot when he refused to sign w/ Philly out of FSU & now it's rumored that he colluded w/ Boston recently. Not so suprisingly, he failed his physical. If Boston doesn't work out, he'll be kicking himself for the rest of his life for walking away from the guaranteed dough in LA.

BLEED BLUE (&GOLD)

Zephyr
01-15-2007, 10:34 PM
If Boston doesn't work out, he'll be kicking himself for the rest of his life for walking away from the guaranteed dough in LA.

BLEED BLUE (&GOLD)

Time will tell. I have a hard time believing he will do well in boston...IMO I will not miss Gagne either... His injuries were his worst enemy and I do not think he will do any better with the Rangers...

ACamp1900
01-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Dodgers look good and I'm not sure SD has a three time divison champs type squad... SF won't be a factor... I like LA... but once the playoffs start... eh

IRISHDODGER
01-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Dodgers look good and I'm not sure SD has a three time divison champs type squad... SF won't be a factor... I like LA... but once the playoffs start... eh

Yup, I hate to say it but they remind me of ND in a bowl game. They both need some good karma...or probably just better players!

IRISHDODGER
01-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Time will tell. I have a hard time believing he will do well in boston...IMO I will not miss Gagne either... His injuries were his worst enemy and I do not think he will do any better with the Rangers...

Yeah, Gagne makes you wonder if he used 'roids or HGH. I was thrilled, at the time, how he came back from elbow surgery, to be one of the most dominating pitchers in the league. But many did he burn out fast.

Zephyr
01-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Yeah, Gagne makes you wonder if he used 'roids or HGH. I was thrilled, at the time, how he came back from elbow surgery, to be one of the most dominating pitchers in the league. But many did he burn out fast.

I was on the Gagne band wagon as well... I really wished he had worked out...

IRISHDODGER
01-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Hey Zephyr, what's your opinion of Steve Garvey being worthy of the Hall of Fame? Granted he was pre-steroid era hitter, but try to come up w/ many better all-around hitters in the mid- to late-70s who could perform in the clutch. The guy could hit for power & average, was a perennial ALL-STAR, 1974 MVP, 2-time All Star MVP & the IRON MAN of the NL w/ most consecutive games played. I'm obviously biased towards enshrining the guy but his only hope now is the Veteran's committee.

Zephyr
01-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Hey Zephyr, what's your opinion of Steve Garvey being worthy of the Hall of Fame? Granted he was pre-steroid era hitter, but try to come up w/ many better all-around hitters in the mid- to late-70s who could perform in the clutch. The guy could hit for power & average, was a perennial ALL-STAR, 1974 MVP, 2-time All Star MVP & the IRON MAN of the NL w/ most consecutive games played. I'm obviously biased towards enshrining the guy but his only hope now is the Veteran's committee.

I was disappointed Garvey did not make it...I know Lasorda was really pushing for votes this last go around... I hope the Vet's comittee put's him through...

ojo_223
01-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Well, I am a Red Sox fan, and I hope Drew does not play in Boston this year. I think Willy Mo would do just as well as Drew in right. But, I do live in Arizona, so I do pull for the D-backs. They won't be my favorite team for a while. They just haven't been around long enough, but they may have a shot if the Unit has anything left. Losing Gonzo hurt, though. I'd have to say that it is the Dodgers division to lose, and yes, Garvey should be in the Hall.

IRISHDODGER
01-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Well, I am a Red Sox fan, and I hope Drew does not play in Boston this year. I think Willy Mo would do just as well as Drew in right. But, I do live in Arizona, so I do pull for the D-backs. They won't be my favorite team for a while. They just haven't been around long enough, but they may have a shot if the Unit has anything left. Losing Gonzo hurt, though. I'd have to say that it is the Dodgers division to lose, and yes, Garvey should be in the Hall.

Good to hear unbiased opinion of Garvey by non-dodger fan

stevens04
01-16-2007, 09:55 AM
I like the Dodgers chances, but the youngsters may have to step up to add some pop to the lineup. I like what Kemp and Loney showed in their brief stints in the majors and by some accounts LaRoche may get a chance this year. They are loaded with yound talent and Coletti hasn't made any foolish trades that has killed the farm system like past GM's. (Well maybe with the exception of the Navarro/Hendrickson trade but that needed to be done at the time and Martin has shown more so far). Pierre and Furcal should be interesting to watch at the top of the order. Kent should be healthier this year. And you can eat all the Dodger Dogs you want, so they have that going for them......

ShivaIrish
01-16-2007, 11:04 AM

To play Lennon to your McCartney--can the NL West get much worse?

kjones
01-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Do you guys really hate the Giants, or just Barry Bonds? Having grown up a Giants fan in the years of Matt Williams, Bill Swift, Darryl Strawberry, and Will "prettiest swing in baseball" Clark, I will never forsake my Giants no matter what is going down in Bonds closet. Not that he shouldn't be held accountable, but the Giants will always have my love.

Now if you just hate them because you're a Dodger fan, the feeling is mutual, and you'll be seeing this guy soon enough:devil_2:

Zephyr
01-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Now if you just hate them because you're a Dodger fan, the feeling is mutual, and you'll be seeing this guy soon enough:devil_2:

That and Bonds just makes it worse....

kjones
01-16-2007, 11:47 AM
That and Bonds just makes it worse....

You see, I can handle the Dodger fans who are Giants haters, it kinda comes with the territory. There's not much love lost between us. But I just feel it's a shame that a great franchise with great history now has so many anti-fans just because of one amazing baseball player who started taking steroids and breaking records. It's right up there with someone who already is going to be a Hall-of-Famer deciding he needs steroids to begin with. It was never necessary, and it's just sad really. Anyway, my heart will still always say "Go Giants!"

brownkj002
01-16-2007, 12:20 PM
I didn't even know there was a NL West. I thought those teams played in a hopscotch league. Are you sure this is a baseball division? All kidding aside, it looks like the Dodgers this year.

PS. You are lucky that the NL Central took over as worst division in baseball.

sportallyr
01-16-2007, 05:19 PM
I bleed Dodger blue and I think that they should win the division as they have the best starting rotation in the NL West and they play good fundamental baseball (which they never did with Jim Tracy at the helm). With that said, I am concerned about their defense and I would have rather have seen them spend their money on a slugger than anoth speedster (like they did with Pierre).

IRISHDODGER
01-16-2007, 11:36 PM
You see, I can handle the Dodger fans who are Giants haters, it kinda comes with the territory. There's not much love lost between us. But I just feel it's a shame that a great franchise with great history now has so many anti-fans just because of one amazing baseball player who started taking steroids and breaking records. It's right up there with someone who already is going to be a Hall-of-Famer deciding he needs steroids to begin with. It was never necessary, and it's just sad really. Anyway, my heart will still always say "Go Giants!"

Growing up in the '70s, the Yanks were easier to hate b/c the 2 seemed to always meet up in the Series. Hell, since the 1950s, they always met up in the WS...w/ the Yanks prevailing in all but 3 of them ('55, 63, '81 unless I'm forgetting one). The Giants didn't start contending until the late 80s. I always liked Will Clark and thought he'd end up w/ a HOF career but injuries seemed to derail him. I liked McCovey, too. Mays was an ornery old prick, but you had to respect his talent & Marichial was easy to hate after that chicken shit stunt of hitting the Dodger catcher, Roseboro, over the head w/ a bat during a melee. Matt williams was easy to like, too. But Bonds...even if he had never injected steroids...he'd be hard to like (though easier to respect). I agree w/ you though, he had the tools & the numbers to be a HOFer w/o the juice. He let his ego & petty jealousy get the best of him. I know Dodger & Giant fans in Calif. have a true hatred going, but the they don't transcend the sport like the Yankees, Notre Dame or the Dallas Cowboys where everyone loves 'em or hates 'em.

KissMeI'mIrish121984
01-23-2007, 04:02 AM
Yup, I hate to say it but they remind me of ND in a bowl game. They both need some good karma...or probably just better players!

I hate to say it, but you're absolutely right. I do believe however, that with the addition of Jason Schmidt (I was laughing so hard when I found out that we lured Schmidty away from the Giants, and then after I regained my composure, I smiled and thanked God for Ned Colletti) we're slowly but surely getting back on track.

I honestly think we should give our younger guys (e.g. Loney) more of a shot in '07, there's honestly no way we'd have gotten into the postseason at all without their contributions.

jiggafini19
02-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Ned Colletti seems to be adopting his mentor Brian Sabean's method: The older, the better.

Why waste money and time with Luis "Was Probably On Roids" Gonzalez when you have Matt Kemp, who is younger, cheaper and BETTER?

The Juan Pierre signing was one of the winter's worst.

matt_99
02-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Say what you want about Luis Gonzalez, but I think he is one of the all time great role models. I don't believe that he was on steroids, but I don't have proof either way. I am just a huge fan of Luis Gonzalez and the D'backs.

BTW, I think the D'backs made the right move by letting him go and moving on. I wish him success as Dodger.

IRISHDODGER
02-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Ned Colletti seems to be adopting his mentor Brian Sabean's method: The older, the better.

Why waste money and time with Luis "Was Probably On Roids" Gonzalez when you have Matt Kemp, who is younger, cheaper and BETTER?

The Juan Pierre signing was one of the winter's worst.

You may be right, but the previous GM like the old fogeys, too. As long as a player can still catch up to a major league fastball & provide some production, he'll get a look.

IRISHDODGER
02-27-2007, 07:11 PM
I heard today that pitcher Matt White may become a billionaire but not through his horrendous pitching (16.00 + ERA). He helped out a relative in need of cash by purchasing her rock quarry in Mass. for $60,000. They then discovered flat rock in the quarry enough to be est. worth of 2 billion clams.

jiggafini19
02-28-2007, 01:55 PM
You may be right, but the previous GM like the old fogeys, too. As long as a player can still catch up to a major league fastball & provide some production, he'll get a look.

Paul DePodesta? That isn't how I remember him. Danny Evans, maybe. DePodesta was the reason the Dodgers have a stacked farm system. Unfortunately, people aren't spreadsheets or computers. He had the interpersonal skills of a calculator.

Damn right the D-Backs did right. They don't need a broken down 40 year old like Gonzo when they have a farm system loaded with younger, cheaper, better talent.