PDA

View Full Version : I.E. Pro Football Thread

NDLyght37
01-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Since almost every topic we have that involves the NFL or ND draft prospects seems to branch off into other topics, I figured I'd be presumptuous and just start a pro football thread.

So we can talk NFL, AFL, CFL, NFLEurope...whatever y'all want in here.

I'll start it off. My NFL teams are the Atlanta Falcons & the San Diego Chargers.

I've been a Falcons fan since the 80's, and a Chargers fam since the early 90's.

I dig Arena football & NFL Europe, and I will always be a Toronto Argonauts fan because of The Rocket.

irishgo8
01-03-2005, 01:09 PM
My Faves are the Texans and Cowboys

nayers
01-03-2005, 01:12 PM
Since almost every topic we have that involves the NFL or ND draft prospects seems to branch off into other topics, I figured I'd be presumptuous and just start a pro football thread.

So we can talk NFL, AFL, CFL, NFLEurope...whatever y'all want in here.

I'll start it off. My NFL teams are the Atlanta Falcons & the San Diego Chargers.

I've been a Falcons fan since the 80's, and a Chargers fam since the early 90's.

I dig Arena football & NFL Europe, and I will always be a Toronto Argonauts fan because of The Rocket.

great idea...that just got you som rep point from me :idea:

irishgo8
01-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Yah i agree this is a great idea....but in a ND chatroom???

NDLyght37
01-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Yah i agree this is a great idea....but in a ND chatroom???
LOL...hey, some of our boys might go to the next level. Besides, I need someplace to gloat in when Atlanta wins the Super Bowl. And thanx nayers...my ego's getting bigger. I'll be like Mike Martz in no time. :)

irishgo8
01-03-2005, 01:31 PM
lol ok u r obviously the most respected here....I think i am the least

NDLyght37
01-03-2005, 01:33 PM
lol ok u r obviously the most respected here....I think i am the least
Yeah, but all my votes are from the families of Willingham, Baer, & Diedrick. ;)

nayers
01-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Yeah, but all my votes are from the families of Willingham, Baer, & Diedrick. ;)

lol... :pity:

irishgo8
01-03-2005, 01:35 PM
lol if thats the case...many here would say be gone lol

nayers
01-03-2005, 01:37 PM
i like what you have to say...i don't agree with it for the most part, but you do cause me to think a little bit deeper, and that is the true point of this forum...

irishgo8
01-03-2005, 01:39 PM
i like what you have to say...i don't agree with it for the most part, but you do cause me to think a little bit deeper, and that is the true point of this forum...
I couldnt make a better compliment for Lyght.

NDLyght37
01-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks fellas. Now, back on topic...

What are your picks for the weekend's games?

Game #1: St Louis @ Seattle
I hate Martz, but I love Marshall Faulk. But I think the Seahawks will win.
It doesn't really matter, though. Whoever wins this will be one & done.

Game #2: New York Jets @ San Diego
San Diego...Superchargers. I love Herm Edwards, but San Diego is on a roll.

Game #3: Denver @ Indy
The Colts roll in this one.

Game #4: Minnesota @ Green Bay
Favre is so money in the playoffs. Green Bay beats Daunte & the WR that should have been in South Bend. ;)

irishgo8
01-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Seattle
San Diego
Indy
Green Bay

NDLyght37
01-04-2005, 01:39 AM
The only match-up I like this weekend is the Colts-Jets game. The rest of the games don't really do much for me.

irishgo8
01-04-2005, 07:40 AM
Colts big oer the jets

brucejcarr
01-04-2005, 09:34 AM
Cowboys, baby!!!! JJ is going to look great in the Silver and Blue for the next 10 years!

irishgo8
01-04-2005, 09:50 AM
isnt gold one step abobe silver??? blue and Gold GO ND

Irish1
01-05-2005, 10:45 AM
The only match-up I like this weekend is the Colts-Jets game. The rest of the games don't really do much for me.

Colts/Jets???? They don't even play each other, yet......How about colts/broncos? Yes it's a rematch of the last game of the season but this time the colts will win in their backyard with the starters...

Vince Young
01-05-2005, 10:58 AM
isnt gold one step abobe silver???

Never been in the military, have you? :smilewink

NDLyght37
01-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Colts/Jets???? They don't even play each other, yet......How about colts/broncos? Yes it's a rematch of the last game of the season but this time the colts will win in their backyard with the starters...
Yeah, Fruedian Slip I guess. :)

I meant Chargers/Jets. I hope New York wins, but I doubt it.

timm3117
01-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Military did someone say military? 6 years Army 10th Mountain Div, Fort Drum NY, Somalia, Bosnia, Haiti (prefect place for the army's elite cold weather fighting force). And the main things I learned in the Army are 1) the U.N. is a joke 2) I really dont like french people 3) Somali snipers cant hit anything 4) and four its really really hot in africa.

QueensNY
01-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Everyone in NY are pretty down about the Jets. Jets pretty much backed their way into the playoffs. Pennington has got the weakest arm in the NFL, and Paul Hackett is as bad an OC as Bill Diedrick.

I still think they'll beat the Chargers, not sold on the Chargers yet. Jets will contain Tomlinson. Chargers coach( I won't even try to attempt to spell that) never does good in the playoffs. Once the playoffs come around he gets ultra conservative. I remember watching all those Cheif teams that had great regular seasons, but would always choke in the playoffs.

NDLyght37
01-05-2005, 11:42 PM
True, Schottenheimer (he was our coach for a while, so I know how to spell it...lol) is very conservative, but I like San Diego in this matchup. LT is one of the best backs in the League, the passing game has improved with the emergence of Brees & Gates (and the pick-up of keenan McCardell). Plus their defense is very underrated.

I'm a fan of Pennington, Martin, & Edwards...but I don't know if the Jets have enough offense to keep up with the Chargers. And their wide recievers are underacheivers (plus Chrebet is banged up). So I think the Chargers will take it 21-13 or something like that.

the_voidoid
01-06-2005, 02:13 AM

the bolt is back, baby. the life of a san diego sports fan is long and depressing. i have a blind faith that the chargers will win the superbowl this year. they have the best team on paper, don't they?

irishgo8
01-06-2005, 07:58 AM
I watched the Chargers and the Colts if they get a rematch in the playoffs......I think Brees will fly over the Colts

brucejcarr
01-06-2005, 09:43 AM
San Diego Super Chargers Woo Hoo!!!

NDLyght37
01-06-2005, 12:19 PM
the bolt is back, baby. they have the best team on paper, don't they?
Hmmm...now that T.O. is hurt, they just might. Top 5 Running Back, Top 5 Tight End, very good defense, Brees is having a career year, & Schottenheimer is a veteran coach.

The question is, can they go to Pittsburgh or New England in the snow & beat one of those teams to get to the Super Bowl?

Irish Envy
01-06-2005, 02:39 PM
I'm rooting for the Colts. Wish my Bears were in, but hey, they're the Bears.

irishtexan
01-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Military did someone say military? 6 years Army 10th Mountain Div, Fort Drum NY, Somalia, Bosnia, Haiti (prefect place for the army's elite cold weather fighting force). And the main things I learned in the Army are 1) the U.N. is a joke 2) I really dont like french people 3) Somali snipers cant hit anything 4) and four its really really hot in africa.

did 4 years in the Marine Corps myself :violent: . got my combat action ribbon in Kosovo with 2nd recon battalion. The UN is a complete and utter failure, French people are sissies, and they should be grateful they are all not speaking German right now, and Australian women party harder than most American men.

the_voidoid
01-06-2005, 03:18 PM
The question is, can they go to Pittsburgh or New England in the snow & beat one of those teams to get to the Super Bowl?

they won in cleveland in brutal conditions, but the long touchdown to gates was a fluke, and it was, well, the browns. however, the o-line looked good, tomlinson looked good, and they shouldn't be intimidated by the weather next time around.

gotta beat the jets first. forecast is rain from tomorrow through monday so it's going to be a ground battle, and i have to give LT the advantage over the elderly curtis martin.

QueensNY
01-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Gates looks amazing. I heard somewhere he didn't even play football in college just basketball. I know he was somewhat of an unknown but he really has come on to be one of the top Tight Ends.

Abraham may be out for the Jets also, Jets reported today that he's 75 percent right now, and that he'll be a game time decision.

QueensNY
01-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Very pissed off my Bills didn't get in. They couldn't beat a bunch of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers on the Steelers. Well at least they showed me something this year to get excited about them next year.

the_voidoid
01-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Gates looks amazing. I heard somewhere he didn't even play football in college just basketball. I know he was somewhat of an unknown but he really has come on to be one of the top Tight Ends.

gates played hoops at kent state, and came to the chargers last year as an undrafted free agent. he has amazing athletic ability; he reminds me of ryan humphries plus 30 pounds.

go bolts!

Aerosmith777
01-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Very pissed off my Bills didn't get in. They couldn't beat a bunch of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers on the Steelers. Well at least they showed me something this year to get excited about them next year.

Bills will be a solid team once Loseman is ready. Only problem for them now is that they have a very talented starting QB that simply can not win a big game to save his soul.

the_voidoid
01-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Four words for all you suckas and chumps:

SAN DIEGO SUPER CHARGERS.

Love,
the_voidoid

irishgo8
01-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Love???? unfortunately for Chargers have buzzed themselves

NDLyght37
01-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Four words for all you suckas and chumps:

SAN DIEGO SUPER CHARGERS.

Love,
the_voidoid
As long as they're playing Atlanta, I could care less. I've liked the Chargers for a while now. Best kept secret in San Diego...Seau's resturant. The "Mamma Seau" homemade platters are awesome!

Gametime! And it's raining in San Diego...Tony, Toni, Tone' lied to me!

QueensNY
01-09-2005, 03:00 AM
How about that Jet game. What was up with Herm Edwards and the running back coach, those guys were about to throw down. Herm said after the game though that everything was fine.

Herm's the man, he's probably the funniest coach in the NFL, the man has a great personality.

the_voidoid
01-09-2005, 03:48 AM
How about that Jet game. What was up with Herm Edwards and the running back coach, those guys were about to throw down. Herm said after the game though that everything was fine.

Herm's the man, he's probably the funniest coach in the NFL, the man has a great personality.

hmmm, yes, yet another disappointing postseason for a san diego franchise. kaeding's missed field goal was a heartbreaker, especially after the jets gave away the game at the end of the fourth. i was even wearing my lucky #12 humphries jersey, and had the "super chargers" song burned repeatedly onto a CD... at the very least, i can be optimistic heading into next season.

go patriots!

irishgo8
01-09-2005, 07:50 AM
Did u see my post - the Chargers were buzzed and burned but the Jets who just flew right by

NDLyght37
01-09-2005, 10:51 AM
hmmm, yes, yet another disappointing postseason for a san diego franchise. kaeding's missed field goal was a heartbreaker, especially after the jets gave away the game at the end of the fourth. i was even wearing my lucky #12 humphries jersey, and had the "super chargers" song burned repeatedly onto a CD... at the very least, i can be optimistic heading into next season.

go patriots!
Since when is a Stan Humphries jersey "lucky"? ;)

But yes, now I'm rooting for a Pats-Falcons SuperBowl...and an Atlanta victory!

As for SD, I think Brees is gone & I'm not sold on Rivers yet.

irishgo8
01-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Brees wont go - y look at this season it isnt his fault he tremedsouly improved and it isnt his fault his kicker misses a fg

QueensNY
01-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Cowboys or dolfins may want to go after Rivers or Brees. Chargers can't pay both these guys, not in todays salary cap era.

Chargers could trade Rivers, and get a high pick for him. Chargers already have 2 or three first round picks this year. plus they also have an extra 2nd round pick from the giants.

Chargers are set up nicely for the future.

the_voidoid
01-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Cowboys or dolfins may want to go after Rivers or Brees. Chargers can't pay both these guys, not in todays salary cap era.

Chargers could trade Rivers, and get a high pick for him. Chargers already have 2 or three first round picks this year. plus they also have an extra 2nd round pick from the giants.

Chargers are set up nicely for the future.

i would prefer that the chargers unload rivers rather than brees, but rivers has over $30 million in guaranteed salary coming his way, and i don't see too many franchises jumping at that kind of commitment on a QB that's only taken a dozen NFL snaps. i think they'll tag brees as franchise, and work out a sign & trade deal with another club...

irishgo8
01-09-2005, 09:47 PM
Yah brees is going to go somewhere good but hey in about 3 years i would love to see Brees and Orton play against each other.....

seIRISH
01-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Well after seeing roscoe parish from Maimi interviewed on ESPN.I think maybe we are asking to much for them graduate more then 40%.The NCAA is doing a huge diservice to these kids by not having higher standers.This just makes me more proud of what ND stands for. :krazy:

NDLyght37
01-16-2005, 12:59 AM
How 'bout them Falcons? Mike Vick was on-point, Dunn was in great form...and the MVP was...ALLEN ROSSUM?!?!?!? AR is gettin' it done on special teams. Philly or Minnesota better be ready next week.

Too bad about the Jets...but if Indy beats the Pats I'll be happy.

QueensNY
01-16-2005, 04:58 AM
Yep Rossem an ND guy believe it or not. We sure do lack team speed don't we.

Thing about Rossem is he's way to small to be a DB in the NFL, but as a return man the guy is downright lethal....Falcons have stressed how they want to resign this ND guy, but who knows.

QueensNY
01-16-2005, 05:03 AM
should Doug Brien the Jet field goal kicker be hung in the middle of Times Square.

i'm not a Jet fan but htat was down right brutal. Against the Steelers none the less.

NDLyght37
01-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Brien is terrible, almost cost them the game last week.

Anyways...onto today's games.

Min. Vs. Philly is getting ugly.

And I hope that the Colts can manufacture a win against the Pats.

jiggafini19
01-16-2005, 04:30 PM
Yep Rossem an ND guy believe it or not. We sure do lack team speed don't we.

Thing about Rossem is he's way to small to be a DB in the NFL, but as a return man the guy is downright lethal....Falcons have stressed how they want to resign this ND guy, but who knows.

Yesterday was a great day on many fronts. Rossum and Bettis shine in big NFL games. Good to see some Domers contributing in The League.

I'm a Chicago Bears fan all the way. Dallas Cowboys would be my other favorite. Nothing good coming from either team as of late. Between Da Bears and ND, my football season was horrible. Thankfully, the Irish Hoops and Bulls are making winter a bit more tolerant so far.

irishgo8
01-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Yesterday was a great day on many fronts. Rossum and Bettis shine in big NFL games. Good to see some Domers contributing in The League.

I'm a Chicago Bears fan all the way. Dallas Cowboys would be my other favorite. Nothing good coming from either team as of late. Between Da Bears and ND, my football season was horrible. Thankfully, the Irish Hoops and Bulls are making winter a bit more tolerant so far.
Did any1 here that Ron Turner is the new OC of the Chicago Bears?

NDLyght37
01-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Championship Week Picks

NFC Championship: Atlanta @ Philadelphia
My Pick - Atlanta wins 27-17.

AFC Championship: New England @ Pittsburgh
My Pick - Pittsburgh 21-14.

irishgo8
01-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Championship Week Picks

NFC Championship: Atlanta @ Philadelphia
My Pick - Atlanta wins 27-17.

AFC Championship: New England @ Pittsburgh
My Pick - Pittsburgh 21-14.

Ok

Falcons 14-7
New England 21-7

Sorry but we will be waiting till after the SB for a full time Weis :banghead2

NDLyght37
02-13-2005, 08:53 PM
This year's NFL fastest man?

*drumroll*

Allen Rossum! The guy's had a great year. He's finally coming into his own.

the_voidoid
02-14-2005, 12:23 AM
This year's NFL fastest man?

*drumroll*

Allen Rossum! The guy's had a great year. He's finally coming into his own.

rossum was one of the football highlights during my time at ND. as far as i'm concerned the most exciting plays in football are interceptions and kick returns, and he just had (still has) that afterburner speed that's so incredible to watch.

did anybody watch the pro-bowl itself? i've never sat all the way through one, it just seems like 22 guys on the field trying not to get hurt.

NDLyght37
02-14-2005, 03:17 AM
I saw parts of it tonight...but IMO, it's the worst of the all-star games.

I saw it live last year & it was great being there...but the game didn't get good until the 3rd quarter.

irishtexan
02-14-2005, 09:36 AM
hey can we talk about arena football in here? i went to my first arena football game last friday and it was great. it was like watching backyard football with pads. i was wondering if anyone knew if joey getherall is still in the arena league, i heard he got on with a team in arizona, but i havent heard anything else. is joey goodspeed in the arena league too?

NDLyght37
02-27-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm a fan of Arena ball (we had an AFL2 team down here for a few years, I had a few of my friends try out for the squad). It's a good change of pace from the NFL.

As for the players, Getherall was cut by Arizona before the start of the season, and Goodspeed plays for the St. Louis Rams.

NDLyght37
03-01-2005, 05:34 PM
The Pats cut Troy Brown...the Dynasty continues to crumble!

Also, Ricky WIlliams is in talks with Oakland...Very interesting.

the_voidoid
03-02-2005, 01:28 AM

ah yes, another san diego athlete making us proud. what happened to the days of marcus allen and terrell davis? now we get these crazies like ricky williams and darrell russell, not to mention all of bill walton's kids...

jiggafini19
03-02-2005, 08:51 AM
The Pats cut Troy Brown...the Dynasty continues to crumble!

The Raiders are starting to resemble the Longest Yard's Mean Machine roster. They may as well hire OJ on the coaching staff.

ACamp1900
04-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Did anyone hear that the Browns drafted Brady Quinn?

:)

stonebreakerwasgod
04-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Actually, the more I think and hear about it, the more I'm respecting what they did. Probably a dang good move.