Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Football
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
chicago51
Starter

Cash: 6,300.30
Bank: 6,662,254,422.47
Total Bankroll: 6,662,260,722.78
Donate
chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Bulls Chicago Blackhawks Notre Dame

Offensive Tempo in 2013

What kind of tempo will do people seeing the offense have next year. Will BK go with fast pace again or he is he committed to let the clock run and protect the defense mentality for the forseable future?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Luckylucci
Community Moderator

Cash: 101,161,008.55
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 101,161,008.55
Donate
Luckylucci should be giving advice to Kelly!Luckylucci should be giving advice to Kelly!Luckylucci should be giving advice to Kelly!Luckylucci should be giving advice to Kelly!Luckylucci should be giving advice to Kelly!Luckylucci should be giving advice to Kelly!Luckylucci should be giving advice to Kelly!Luckylucci should be giving advice to Kelly!Luckylucci should be giving advice to Kelly!Luckylucci should be giving advice to Kelly!Luckylucci should be giving advice to Kelly!

IMO, its going to be what the game or opponent calls for. If its a team that he feels like we can come out and be aggressive on then he'll probably speed it up which we saw at times this year. And as the game dictates he'll probably slow it down and eat clock. I don't think BK gives two ****s if we play fast and score 50 or we play slow and score 20 as long as we win. I do think Everett's maturation will give BK the opportunity to do different things and one of those is to play fast. Call it and haul it is the term he likes to use.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Emcee77
latress on the men-jay

Cash: 300,337.82
Bank: 1,460,253,529.82
Total Bankroll: 1,460,553,867.64
Donate
Emcee77 should be giving advice to Kelly!Emcee77 should be giving advice to Kelly!Emcee77 should be giving advice to Kelly!Emcee77 should be giving advice to Kelly!Emcee77 should be giving advice to Kelly!Emcee77 should be giving advice to Kelly!Emcee77 should be giving advice to Kelly!Emcee77 should be giving advice to Kelly!Emcee77 should be giving advice to Kelly!Emcee77 should be giving advice to Kelly!Emcee77 should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckylucci View Post
IMO, its going to be what the game or opponent calls for. If its a team that he feels like we can come out and be aggressive on then he'll probably speed it up which we saw at times this year. And as the game dictates he'll probably slow it down and eat clock. I don't think BK gives two ****s if we play fast and score 50 or we play slow and score 20 as long as we win. I do think Everett's maturation will give BK the opportunity to do different things and one of those is to play fast. Call it and haul it is the term he likes to use.
The bolded, yes. We'll start to play faster and BK will take more risks in his play-calling as Everett matures, but BK's shown this year that he'll tailor his offense to the personnel and the game situation (things really opened up when we were behind against Pitt).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Whiskeyjack
Community Mod

Cash: 24,097.14
Bank: 19,882,097,875.93
Total Bankroll: 19,882,121,973.07
Donate
Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!
Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago51 View Post
What kind of tempo will do people seeing the offense have next year. Will BK go with fast pace again or he is he committed to let the clock run and protect the defense mentality for the forseable future?
I don't think BK wants to play at warp speed all the time, because it doesn't fit the team's current identity: a low risk, ball control offense, which complements our smothering defense perfectly. The up-tempo pass-first spread BK ran at Cinci puts a lot of stress on the defense, and it's not necessary to take the risks inherent in that scheme when you can simply run over your opponents.

I do think we'll see more calculated hurry-ups, though. Chip Kelly is a master at doing this: when the defense is fresh and lines up quickly, Oregon slows down and tries to get a good pre-snap read. When the defense is tired and dying for a substitution, they go warp speed (and almost always score). I could definitely see BK doing that as Golson gets more comfortable.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
chicago51
Starter

Cash: 6,300.30
Bank: 6,662,254,422.47
Total Bankroll: 6,662,260,722.78
Donate
chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!chicago51 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Bulls Chicago Blackhawks Notre Dame

I just hope the premium is still going to be on defense. While team's like Oregon have solid defense, its usually not good enough to win a game for them when their offense slows.

I guess I can see Kelly and ND being simular to some of Urban Meyer's great Florida teams. I remember that there would be weeks when they would play a team like Kentucky and win like 52-20 playing really fast on offense. The score though would think myself well their defense might suspect giving up 20 to a team like that. Then a week later they would have a big game against say LSU and the shut them down and win like 17-3 in a grind out.

I guess I could see our defensive stats going down slightly but yet ND will be able still lean on the defense to win the big games.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dizzyphil
Sophomore

Cash: 61,454.20
Bank: 87,250,090.00
Total Bankroll: 87,311,544.19
Donate
Dizzyphil is a fountain of informationDizzyphil is a fountain of informationDizzyphil is a fountain of informationDizzyphil is a fountain of informationDizzyphil is a fountain of informationDizzyphil is a fountain of informationDizzyphil is a fountain of informationDizzyphil is a fountain of informationDizzyphil is a fountain of informationDizzyphil is a fountain of informationDizzyphil is a fountain of information
Chicago Cubs Boston Celtics Tennessee Titans Pittsburgh Penguins Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
I don't think BK wants to play at warp speed all the time, because it doesn't fit the team's current identity: a low risk, ball control offense, which complements our smothering defense perfectly. The up-tempo pass-first spread BK ran at Cinci puts a lot of stress on the defense, and it's not necessary to take the risks inherent in that scheme when you can simply run over your opponents.

I do think we'll see more calculated hurry-ups, though. Chip Kelly is a master at doing this: when the defense is fresh and lines up quickly, Oregon slows down and tries to get a good pre-snap read. When the defense is tired and dying for a substitution, they go warp speed (and almost always score). I could definitely see BK doing that as Golson gets more comfortable.
I couldn't agree more. I think the close games this year were more than BK wanted. I, like you, believe he will pick up the pace a little more if Golson is the starter next year. This will be something in the off-season that will be decided. BK will put the best QB out there and with Kiel, Golson, Hendrix, and possibly Zaire competing, one will just have to see what is going to happen with the speed of the offense.

God what a great problem the Irish have got themselves into.

GO IRISH!!!!!!!!

Diz
Old 12-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bluto
Junior

Cash: 1,573,693,311.94
Bank: 468.93
Total Bankroll: 1,573,693,780.87
Donate
Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!

Not sure why he would want to change anything. If the offense was sinply more efficient in the red zone we would have beat every team on our schedule by a pretty comfortable margin with a couple more blowouts, USC being one of them.