Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Football
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
gkautz10
Freshman

Cash: 5,622.81
Bank: 1,689,491.28
Total Bankroll: 1,695,114.09
Donate
gkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant future
Chicago Cubs Notre Dame

2013 Running Back Discussion

I think Cam may be focusing more on corner because of the depth at RB. Next year ND will have Amir, GAIII, Mahone, Bryant, and maybe James and Cierre. Those last 2 we will just assume they are gone for the sake of the argument, but if Cierre comes back it will only strengthen what I am saying. You could argue to say that Cam will be in the same position on the depth chart next season as he was going into this season. This year he was behind Theo, Cierre, and GAIII. So he was 4th simply because that was all we had available at the position with Amir being injured and Mahone red shirting. Next year I see the depth chart breaking down like this: Amir, GAIII, Mahone, and then throw Bryant into that mix and Cam will see himself at best 4th on the depth chart. Mahone had a hell of a year from what I have heard and could be the real deal and surprise some people next season. Cam will likely be in the same position he was this year, which he was cross training at corner before the injury to Amir. He even saw some snaps at corner this year so I do not think it is much of a stretch to say he could be moved over permanently. I agree with you Bogs that the depth chart doesn't look much better at the corner spot. This may mean that Cam becomes a kick returner and a next man in role player.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
ErieIrish13
Blue Chip Recruit

Cash: 35,497.69
Bank: 613.99
Total Bankroll: 36,111.68
Donate
ErieIrish13 is a glorious beacon of lightErieIrish13 is a glorious beacon of lightErieIrish13 is a glorious beacon of lightErieIrish13 is a glorious beacon of lightErieIrish13 is a glorious beacon of lightErieIrish13 is a glorious beacon of lightErieIrish13 is a glorious beacon of lightErieIrish13 is a glorious beacon of lightErieIrish13 is a glorious beacon of lightErieIrish13 is a glorious beacon of light
Minnesota Twins Miami Heat Buffalo Sabres Notre Dame Chelsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkautz10 View Post
I think Cam may be focusing more on corner because of the depth at RB. Next year ND will have Amir, GAIII, Mahone, Bryant, and maybe James and Cierre. Those last 2 we will just assume they are gone for the sake of the argument, but if Cierre comes back it will only strengthen what I am saying. You could argue to say that Cam will be in the same position on the depth chart next season as he was going into this season. This year he was behind Theo, Cierre, and GAIII. So he was 4th simply because that was all we had available at the position with Amir being injured and Mahone red shirting. Next year I see the depth chart breaking down like this: Amir, GAIII, Mahone, and then throw Bryant into that mix and Cam will see himself at best 4th on the depth chart. Mahone had a hell of a year from what I have heard and could be the real deal and surprise some people next season. Cam will likely be in the same position he was this year, which he was cross training at corner before the injury to Amir. He even saw some snaps at corner this year so I do not think it is much of a stretch to say he could be moved over permanently. I agree with you Bogs that the depth chart doesn't look much better at the corner spot. This may mean that Cam becomes a kick returner and a next man in role player.
Kelly likes Cam a lot. I've said this all along, I believe he will see a good amount of touches at RB next year. He's more complete than GA3 right now (not saying he's better)
Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
NYMIKE6
YEAH I GOT THE SHAKES

Cash: 684.17
Bank: 416,680,095.45
Total Bankroll: 416,680,779.62
Donate
NYMIKE6 has a reputation beyond reputeNYMIKE6 has a reputation beyond reputeNYMIKE6 has a reputation beyond reputeNYMIKE6 has a reputation beyond reputeNYMIKE6 has a reputation beyond reputeNYMIKE6 has a reputation beyond reputeNYMIKE6 has a reputation beyond reputeNYMIKE6 has a reputation beyond reputeNYMIKE6 has a reputation beyond reputeNYMIKE6 has a reputation beyond reputeNYMIKE6 has a reputation beyond repute
Notre Dame

gkautz10,
I see your point, but what do we really know about the other running backs on the roster besides the 2 that got most of the carries this season? Once Riddick and Wood leave, It is GAIII who is very inconsistent and struggles with ball security from time to time, Amir who has injury problems, Mahone who preserved a year and was a scout team player.
Cam is the only one that we know can be consistent. He can be a every down back. He has no fear pounding the rock between the tackles, and is shifty enough to make a move and bounce it outside. Plus he is a very important asset on Special Teams. Personally i would find it foolish to bet against this kid.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
gkautz10
Freshman

Cash: 5,622.81
Bank: 1,689,491.28
Total Bankroll: 1,695,114.09
Donate
gkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant futuregkautz10 has a brilliant future
Chicago Cubs Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMIKE6 View Post
gkautz10,
I see your point, but what do we really know about the other running backs on the roster besides the 2 that got most of the carries this season? Once Riddick and Wood leave, It is GAIII who is very inconsistent and struggles with ball security from time to time, Amir who has injury problems, Mahone who preserved a year and was a scout team player.
Cam is the only one that we know can be consistent. He can be a every down back. He has no fear pounding the rock between the tackles, and is shifty enough to make a move and bounce it outside. Plus he is a very important asset on Special Teams. Personally i would find it foolish to bet against this kid.
Not betting against him. I think he is a good player, if this was 4 or 5 years ago, I would agree with you 100%. However, Kelly is bringing in talented players. I agree GAIII does have ball security issues but so did Golson going into the season and look how that turned out. Mahone was on Scout team yes, but he was offensive scout team player of the year and if my memory serves me correctly, Golson won that award last year. Cam has been consistent for the small sample of carries he has seen, who knows how he will hold up pounding it up the middle over the course of a whole season. Amir had sort of a freak injury this year and I don't think he is injury prone. I agree, he is an asset on special teams and he is a great player and an even better person. I assume he will get a fair shake at RB but it is just a hunch that he may see time on the other side of the ball. Especially since he has more reps at the corner position than many of the other unproven players coming in. I suspect he will be used at both positions when needed next year.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jebediah Springfield

Cash: 346,525.99
Bank: 1,415,652,048.45
Total Bankroll: 1,415,998,574.44
Donate
Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!
Seattle SuperSonics Notre Dame

I'm interested to see how this plays out.

All players have some positives and negatives.

At the end I think GA3 gets the first crack at starting RB.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Old Man Mike
Fast as Lightning!

Cash: 51,232,822.09
Bank: 20,631,150,666.16
Total Bankroll: 20,682,383,488.25
Donate
Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!

To my flawed eye, our RB situation next year is nearly a complete mystery. Several things that I "feel" [not enough information to "think"]:

1]. Cierre Wood does not return;
2]. GAIII does not develop into anything but an occasional "gimmick" back for extreme speed and home-run potential; if he doesn't stop fumbling he will not even keep his kick=off return job;
3]. Will Mahone becomes a dependable but not Jonas Gray quality [yet] power back; he gets carries;
4]. Greg Bryant impresses with his potential but redshirts;
5]. Amir Carlisle MUST be good or the USC experience would not have happened; if he is truly healthy and if he can blitz block and not fumble, then he is the starting back;
6]. Cam McDaniel, depending upon those qualifiers for Carlisle, is seen as our best rounded running back; he runs with great vision, effort, and never-quit [and surprisingly powerful] leg-drive; he is the one proven warrior.

So then what?

Scenario A: If Carlisle's ready and meets expectations, he starts and McDaniel and Mahone spell him regularly; GAIII becomes a player used much like Chris Brown was used this year [speed play to try to catch defense off-guard and hit big distances]... I do not think that CBreezy will only be that himself; I think Chris is destined for all-around big things in the receiving game, this was just an analogy based on how Chris was used [and, by the way, how GAIII was beginning to be severely limited as the season went on].

Scenario B: If Carlisle's "ready" but not optimal on the qualifiers above, Kelly splits time more evenly with Cam and Amir and Will. Like with the Riddick/Wood situation as the season wore on, the guy getting the most snaps will be the guy who runs hardest in the middle and catches the ball in the intermediate zone.

That's a baloney analysis by me, and admittedly we are lucky that Coach never calls asking my opinion.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
rtrn2glory
Team MVP

Cash: 771,097,703.10
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 771,097,703.10
Donate
rtrn2glory should be giving advice to Kelly!rtrn2glory should be giving advice to Kelly!rtrn2glory should be giving advice to Kelly!rtrn2glory should be giving advice to Kelly!rtrn2glory should be giving advice to Kelly!rtrn2glory should be giving advice to Kelly!rtrn2glory should be giving advice to Kelly!rtrn2glory should be giving advice to Kelly!rtrn2glory should be giving advice to Kelly!rtrn2glory should be giving advice to Kelly!rtrn2glory should be giving advice to Kelly!
Boston Red Sox Chicago Bears Notre Dame

next years depth chart imo:

1. GA3
2. Carlisle
3. Mahone
4. Cam
5. Bryant

subject to change