Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Football
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #155 (permalink)
NDRock
Senior

Cash: 1,000,257,126.98
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 1,000,257,126.98
Donate
NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!NDRock should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
He's not much of a recruiter, but he's a good coach. Perhaps Hiestand is the opposite? Hard to believe with his resume.
It's funny, when he was at UT all they talked about was how bad of a recruiter he was. I chalk that up the Derek Dooley being the coach, guy was awful. Didn't we also change schemes when Hiestand arrive? Our running game was really good in 2011 not sure why Kelly switched things up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #156 (permalink)
Whiskeyjack
Logic & Reason

Cash: 5,000,061,066.64
Bank: 1,820,633,918,373,567.00
Total Bankroll: 1,820,638,918,434,633.50
Donate
Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!
Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDRock View Post
It's funny, when he was at UT all they talked about was how bad of a recruiter he was. I chalk that up the Derek Dooley being the coach, guy was awful. Didn't we also change schemes when Hiestand arrive? Our running game was really good in 2011 not sure why Kelly switched things up.
We've been a zone-blocking team ever since Kelly arrived, but Warriner frequently utilized gap-blocking as well.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #157 (permalink)
dwshade
Banned

Cash: 32,944.74
Total Bankroll: 32,944.74
Donate
dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLax View Post
Only thing he screwed up was not benching Lombard earlier, but I get why he wanted a veteran presence on the OL. I don't think anyone expected Martin to be that bad at center and once he was it COMPLETELY changed the dynamics of the OL. Guy was supposed to be freaking captain material, his play early in the season wasn't even MAC level.

I thought the OL did fine after getting some consistency inside. A youth movement is needed next year though... I don't want 5th year Hegarty/Martin starting on seniority alone if there are better horses below them.
Martin wasn't close to being 100% healthy. Coming off knee surgery then tore up his hand pretty bad. He played with one hand essentially for most of year. He'll play in the NFL. Lombard was a 5th year SR. and the only other option was McGlinchey who has no experience. They just didn't want to add another inexperienced OL to the group. Not to mention Lombard's more natural position is guard but we found out early on Elmer is also more suited to guard than tackle. Next season we'll return four starters plus likely McGlinchey at RT. They will be much better next year as the more OL play together the better they mesh as a unit.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #158 (permalink)
dwshade
Banned

Donate
dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!dwshade should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulukinatme View Post
Yup, this is what I was saying last year. Can't argue with Heistand's recruiting prowess, but Warriner did a damn good job for us opening holes for the run game, and he turned OSU around as well. Harry does alright with the pass protection, but I'm not seeing the holes for our RBs like we were seeing, especially not with the talent we should theoretically have.
Harry Hiestand is an outstanding OL coach. Ask Zack Martin (who may be the best rookie in NFL regardless of position) and Chris Watt. He did a good job with what he had to work with this year. He was basically playing with two guards on the right side with Lombard and Elmer. Martin played hurt most of year and Hegarty was getting his first extensive playing time. I think people overestimated this line before the season based on recruiting success the last two years. But those kids simply won't be ready to play at this level until next season. Guys like Nelson, Mustipher, Bars, Bivin. Back to Hiestand, I've gotten to know Greg Gabriel a bit who posts on II. He was a an NFL scout for over 30 years and now writes for National Football Post and has known Harry for many years. He'll tell you just how respected Harry is in NFL circles as a teacher and technician. Again ask Martin and Watts how much they learned from Harry.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #159 (permalink)
IRISHDODGER
Blue Chip Recruit

Cash: 5,053,540.48
Total Bankroll: 5,053,540.48
Donate
IRISHDODGER is a leader in the communityIRISHDODGER is a leader in the communityIRISHDODGER is a leader in the communityIRISHDODGER is a leader in the communityIRISHDODGER is a leader in the communityIRISHDODGER is a leader in the communityIRISHDODGER is a leader in the communityIRISHDODGER is a leader in the communityIRISHDODGER is a leader in the communityIRISHDODGER is a leader in the communityIRISHDODGER is a leader in the community
Los Angeles Dodgers Boston Celtics Chicago Bears Notre Dame

Bowl & Spring practices should be enough to evaluate who the best five are regardless of class. Hopefully, ND can start putting away the inferior teams and allow for 2-3 deep to get some reps in the event of injury as the year progresses. I agree w/ others here who think there are some unspoken injuries that these kids have played with. It's hard to believe w/ all the injuries on defense that there wasn't some on offense, too. As bad as the OL looked down the stretch, I'd love for some of the issues to be injuries.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #160 (permalink)
dwshade
Banned

Donate

Yes, I forgot to mention that Lombard played hurt much of the year.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #161 (permalink)
irishff1014
Legend

Cash: 2,058,699,597.00
Total Bankroll: 2,058,699,597.00
Donate
irishff1014 should be giving advice to Kelly!irishff1014 should be giving advice to Kelly!irishff1014 should be giving advice to Kelly!irishff1014 should be giving advice to Kelly!irishff1014 should be giving advice to Kelly!irishff1014 should be giving advice to Kelly!irishff1014 should be giving advice to Kelly!irishff1014 should be giving advice to Kelly!irishff1014 should be giving advice to Kelly!irishff1014 should be giving advice to Kelly!irishff1014 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Atlanta Braves Washington Redskins Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwshade View Post
Martin wasn't close to being 100% healthy. Coming off knee surgery then tore up his hand pretty bad. He played with one hand essentially for most of year. He'll play in the NFL. Lombard was a 5th year SR. and the only other option was McGlinchey who has no experience. They just didn't want to add another inexperienced OL to the group. Not to mention Lombard's more natural position is guard but we found out early on Elmer is also more suited to guard than tackle. Next season we'll return four starters plus likely McGlinchey at RT. They will be much better next year as the more OL play together the better they mesh as a unit.
You assume they will be better. They might be even worse.