Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Football
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

View Poll Results: Should Kelly Coach ND Next Year?
Yes 187 53.13%
No 165 46.88%
Voters: 352. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #1142 (permalink)
gkIrish
Community Mod/Greek God

Cash: 170,502.32
Bank: 1,143,792,934,268,580.00
Total Bankroll: 1,143,792,934,439,082.25
Donate
gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees New York Knicks New York Giants New York Rangers Manchester United USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JughedJones View Post
Wow.....

You can't put some virtual money on that?

You say it so sincerely, but I don' t think you want to have a zero next to your name when we kick the crap out of everyone else.

Nice job spending a thousand dollars going to South Carolina though. I'm sure that was great... Thhhppptttt.
You're talking to the guy that took a 3 month ban because the Seahawks lost the Patriots. I have absolutely nothing to prove. Have a nice day.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #1143 (permalink)
ulukinatme
Holtz/Triumph in 2016!

Cash: 239,141.81
Bank: 10,485,538,714,264,116.00
Total Bankroll: 10,485,538,714,503,258.00
Donate
ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!
Notre Dame

As long as this team doesn't fold and we suffer no more major injuries, I think every game on this schedule is still winnable. USC will be tough, especially after Navy, and Stanford will still be tough, but I think this team is resilient and they are still very talented.

I saw people complaining about the defense, and yes they had a horrible start in that first drive or two, but they really settled in and did a fantastic job after that. This defense is aggressive at times, and they'll give up some big plays. I don't fault them the TD in the 2nd half really, that came on the turnover which shouldn't have happened. There's certainly still improvements that can be made, but overall the defense adjusted very well and did an excellent job keeping Clemson off the scoreboard after the first few drives. Those drives certainly were costly, but it reminded me a lot of OU in 2012. OU came out fast and strong in their early drives, feeding off the crowd energy and noise. They had some success moving the ball early in the game, and then we kind of settled down and took care of business. Same thing happened at Clemson defensively.

Offensively the turnovers were huge, of course, but the play calling was really stupid in the first half. You do not run into the teeth of the defense, that's just stupid. You may be able to get away with it playing a team like UMass, but not in Death Valley at night when they've got 8 in the box. Keep the defense honest, throw screens, quick slants, pitches to the outside. Get out in space and make them pay. We really put ourselves in a hole with the way we were calling plays in the first half.

Special Teams was very up and down. I've been impressed with some of the strides we've made in ST this year, most of that praise going to CJ's return game and I think Newsome has punted well at times, but both had some mistakes in this game that were costly. Is that coaching? Maybe, maybe not. Even veteran players can have mistakes, especially in bad weather. We saw that with the CB and Prosise fumbles.

This team is still capable of achieving great things, and I think we're setup very well for next year still if a lot of players come back. Jaylon would likely be gone, N-Mart and Stanley will be gone of course, Day will be gone, and a few others. Certainly a lot of good players, but like Kelly said when Zaire went out: We're still a young team and will return a lot next season. Some shoes will be hard to fill, but I'm not terribly worried about any one position other than maybe safety for next year. That said, is there a better coach out there to lead this team? Probably not. Kelly has his flaws, but realistically I don't think there's a better coach out there that will come to ND presently. I think this team is in very good shape for the future and they could win a lot of games with the plan that's in place. There's plenty of room still for improvements, but I like where this team has come in the 5 years since Kelly came in. There was no quit in them Saturday despite the weather and being down 21-3 at one point. Even after all the penalties and turnovers they kept fighting back. That was encouraging, I hope they don't lose that fire because this can still be a special team.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #1144 (permalink)
IrishLion
I am Beyonce, Always.

Cash: 278,501.11
Bank: 7,634,801,790,080,177.00
Total Bankroll: 7,634,801,790,358,676.00
Donate
IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cincinnati Reds Cincinnati Bengals Cincinnati

I think BK deserves an immense amount of scrutiny for the way this team started the game.

I think BK deserves an immense amount of praise for the way this team finished the game.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #1145 (permalink)
gkIrish
Community Mod/Greek God

Cash: 170,502.32
Bank: 1,143,792,934,268,580.00
Total Bankroll: 1,143,792,934,439,082.25
Donate
gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!gkIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees New York Knicks New York Giants New York Rangers Manchester United USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLion View Post
I think BK deserves an immense amount of scrutiny for the way this team started the game.

I think BK deserves an immense amount of praise for the way this team finished the game.
Accurate
Old 10-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #1146 (permalink)
BleedBlueGold
Starter

Cash: 1,000,015,118,456.40
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 1,000,015,118,456.40
Donate
BleedBlueGold should be giving advice to Kelly!BleedBlueGold should be giving advice to Kelly!BleedBlueGold should be giving advice to Kelly!BleedBlueGold should be giving advice to Kelly!BleedBlueGold should be giving advice to Kelly!BleedBlueGold should be giving advice to Kelly!BleedBlueGold should be giving advice to Kelly!BleedBlueGold should be giving advice to Kelly!BleedBlueGold should be giving advice to Kelly!BleedBlueGold should be giving advice to Kelly!BleedBlueGold should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Chicago Bears Notre Dame

Quote:
We have an incredible staff. We have a young core of players. I think we win out this year.
Incredible staff? TBD. That's the point of the thread. I think it's above average. I think it's good enough to win 9 or 10 games per season. Yet it doesn't.

We have a young core of players...who have very bright futures. Man, they look good at times for being true frosh.

Win out this year? Perhaps. Tall order. Not impossible but it won't be easy.

Quote:
I think we get to the Natty next year. How anyone doesn't see this is a mystery.
I don't think it's unrealistic. It will certainly be an expectation. But not something I'm willing to dive into. I hate the "always next year" mantra.

Quote:
We're ****ing stacked for a smart guy school.
This roster is loaded for sure. No debate there. There is room for improvement though.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #1147 (permalink)
JughedJones
Banned

Cash: 105,947.35
Bank: 127,813,131,598.08
Total Bankroll: 127,813,237,545.43
Donate
JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!
Oakland Raiders Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkIrish View Post
You're talking to the guy that took a 3 month ban because the Seahawks lost the Patriots. I have absolutely nothing to prove. Have a nice day.
You're talking to the guy who took a... long ban?... because I said... well, I said... something horrible to someone who didn't agree with me.

Anyway, I got this one right. We win out.

Kizer is our guy, then it will be a competition next year for QB, and Kizer won't be in that competition. Sad but true.

It will be either Wimbush, Zaire, or a combination of them both that bring us to next year's Natty.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #1148 (permalink)
JughedJones
Banned

Cash: 105,947.35
Bank: 127,813,131,598.08
Total Bankroll: 127,813,237,545.43
Donate
JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!JughedJones should be giving advice to Kelly!
Oakland Raiders Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkIrish View Post
Accurate
I think that's crap.

It's funny.

I'm on a message board that's all about my favorite rock and roll band. Every time they play now, people pick apart every note and say they'll never be what they were at their perceived 'peak.' I sometimes think that this board is the same. We're waiting on some kind of yesterday peak that will never come. My favorite band doesn't play like that anymore, neither does this team.

It's different now.

We gotta pick our spots.

This is it. We will win out. Next year, talent is so running over that we can't keep it in our cup.

Wimbush/Zaire will take us to the Natty. Will we win? I'm not sure.

Last edited by JughedJones; 10-05-2015 at 09:58 AM..