Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Football
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #162 (permalink)
Irish#1
Livin' Your Dream!

Cash: 2,013,620,743.44
Bank: 8,813,728,854,497.09
Total Bankroll: 8,815,742,475,240.53
Donate
Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domina Nostra View Post
A few years ago we had a loss at Stanford that was certainly affected by the fact that they had a power game that ran right at you, while there field was terrible and didn't allow for cuts. Our RBs were sliding all over the place and it made a big difference.

So if you have a lot of quick kids, a bad field can take away your advantage if you rely on quick athletes. At the very least, it adds an element of randomness if you are playing a team (like, say, USC) that has similar athletes.
Every team has quick athletes, particularly at the skill positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLion10 View Post
I support artificial turf, but not because I support limiting the elements. I support artificial turf to elminate a crappy field even when the conditions are good.

If it's raining and a natural field gets sloppy, that's cool, thats what happens when you mix rain, dirt and heavy feet. But if it's clear and 75 degrees out, and the ND turf STILL sucks, that's a problem. That's why I like the idea of artificial turf. The field is in a below-average state, even when the conditions are good.

Also, I hate the "let's put a dome on" counter-argument. I understand the sentiment, but at the end of the day it's a pointless counter-argument because putting a dome on the stadium is not practical while replacing the playing surface is.
Most who have read my previous posts going way back know that when I originally mentioned a roof on the stadium it was laced with a heavy dose of sarcasm. I am not for a lid on the stadium and personally don't have a leaning towards real grass or artificial. I just find it amusing that some don't care about tradition and want turf, but are for tradition when it comes to putting a lid on top.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #163 (permalink)
ulukinatme
Holtz/Triumph in 2016!

Cash: 130,811.34
Bank: 630,362,162,606,766.25
Total Bankroll: 630,362,162,737,577.62
Donate
ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!
Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDdomer2 View Post
its obviously easier to lay new sod in Pasedena compared to SB
This is very true. Still, there won't be enough time for the grass to root deep. I'd still expect the field to tear up a little bit.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #164 (permalink)
Irish#1
Livin' Your Dream!

Cash: 2,013,620,743.44
Bank: 8,813,728,854,497.09
Total Bankroll: 8,815,742,475,240.53
Donate
Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLax View Post
This is so telling, as is the secondary article they linked there. I never really understood what people meant when they said the Michigan "special" status was a big part of the issue, but now I do.

I think it has to be very intriguing for ND to have Under Armour... who makes great gear/apparel and is really starting to take off as a football brand... give us an A+ deal than be an also-ran with Nike or deal with the mediocrity of Adidas.
I don't know about also-ran, but given the number of schools contracted to Nike, we would just be another fish in the pond. I'll give scUM credit for getting the "special status" clause included in the contract. Did scUM sign their Adidas contract before or after ND? For all of the posters who want Nike, I agree with Lax that the contract with UA can end up being huge. Not from the money itself (I would imagine it won't be significantly higher than most schools) but from the advertising. Walk into Dick's and see a giant mural of an ND athlete hanging in the middle of the store then go to the basketball section and see a pic of the Lady Irish, etc..
Old 01-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #165 (permalink)
IrishLion
#Savage

Cash: 200,000,037,361.46
Bank: 67,592,943,478.32
Total Bankroll: 267,592,980,839.77
Donate
IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLion should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cincinnati Reds Cincinnati Bengals Cincinnati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish#1 View Post
Most who have read my previous posts going way back know that when I originally mentioned a roof on the stadium it was laced with a heavy dose of sarcasm. I am not for a lid on the stadium and personally don't have a leaning towards real grass or artificial. I just find it amusing that some don't care about tradition and want turf, but are for tradition when it comes to putting a lid on top.
I know it's sarcasm, but others have actually argued this point heavily so I have not grown overly fond of it lol.

As for the second part of the bolded... there is nothing "traditional" about ND's grass. The "tradition" of having a grass field is not unique to ND. The simple design and the endzone stripes? That's tradition. And I would be willing to bet that even with an artificial surface, the paint scheme stays the same. However, saying "some don't care about tradition" because they are in favor of turf is a bit of a reach.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #166 (permalink)
IrishBlood81
Junior

Cash: 38,778.37
Bank: 17,588,872,170.69
Total Bankroll: 17,588,910,949.06
Donate
IrishBlood81 should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishBlood81 should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishBlood81 should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishBlood81 should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishBlood81 should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishBlood81 should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishBlood81 should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishBlood81 should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishBlood81 should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishBlood81 should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishBlood81 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Send a message via MSN to IrishBlood81
New Jersey Nets Denver  Broncos Notre Dame Chelsea Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody1smith View Post
Also steroids are a great way to increase overall performance on the field? Have we looked into that as an option?
Their looking into it I heard, trying to find legal loopholes.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #167 (permalink)
dshans
They call me The Dribbler

Cash: 486.88
Bank: 1,980,794,260,896,429.00
Total Bankroll: 1,980,794,260,896,915.75
Donate
dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!
Minnesota Twins New Orleans Saints Dartmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBlood81 View Post
Their looking into it I heard, trying to find legal loopholes.
Dammit, it's they're, gaw dammit!!!

"Legal Loopholes" are a function of imprecise language or shoddy leg work.

Just mist and pipe an appropriate steroid cocktail through the Gug's ventilation system.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #168 (permalink)
wizards8507
Varsity Club Member

Cash: 100,000,086,930.22
Bank: 78.79
Total Bankroll: 100,000,087,009.01
Donate
wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics New England Patriots Boston Bruins Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshans View Post
Dammit, it's they're, gaw dammit!!!

"Legal Loopholes" are a function of imprecise language or shoddy leg work.

Just mist and pipe an appropriate steroid cocktail through the Gug's ventilation system.
dshans, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the cereal comma.

sic