Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Athletics
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 04:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
BGIF
Varsity Club

Cash: 8,780.75
Bank: 8,644,101,471,073,760.00
Total Bankroll: 8,644,101,471,082,541.00
Donate
BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!

ND Women's BB '17 -'18 Season

Tournament's over.

There's a new season to prep for without Lindsay Allen and possibly without Brianna Turner depending on how the surgery and rehab go ... and whether she decides to move on to the next level.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 04-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Old Man Mike
Fast as Lightning!

Cash: 40,051,733,758.56
Bank: 182,810,985,298,152.12
Total Bankroll: 182,851,037,031,910.69
Donate
Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!

Mabrey, Ogumbawale, Westbeld, Young, Boley --- potentially a mighty five. Turner? She should stay and play if she's healthy (her physique doesn't translate well to the WNBA), so that would be a mighty six. --- note, of course, no one who vaguely resembles a point guard is there... A "Monster without a Head."

Patberg? ...maybe... but I doubt that Muffet is assuming that.
The (to me) mysterious comment during the Stanford game about a former starting point guard for them sitting out and graduating so as to come as a graduate transfer to run Notre Dame next year ... ? Muffet pulling a Rabbit out of a Hat?

Are any players incoming other than the two new Bigs? They are 6'3" and one is a 5*, so maybe one at least would be ready to help --- absolutely needed whether Turner is available or not.

If I was dreaming, and Turner available, and the mythical transfer starting point guard was real, then who else starts? "Point Guard", Turner, Mabrey, a well-behaved Arike --- who else? Convention says Westbeld. That puts Boley and Young on the bench. Boley rotating in (with one rookie) at the bigs is fine, but it's a shame to begin with an All-American quality player (Young) on the bench. ... and what if Jackie is just so good that you cannot keep her off the floor practically at all? Let Marina run the point some? Go small-ball some?

Fortunately we have Muffet to figure it out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-04-2017, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
SouthSideChiDomer
Walk-On

Cash: 2,539.73
Bank: 1,610,264,978.78
Total Bankroll: 1,610,267,518.51
Donate
SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!

We are getting a point guard from Stanford. I believe her name is Lili Thompson and she was a two time All Pac 12 player, so the drop off at the point shouldn't be that severe. I'm really interested in seeing what Brianna does with the knee injury. Assuming she doesn't go pro early, it seems highly doubtful that she would be ready to play by the beginning of the year, so do you then hope she can be ready by some time in the middle of the year and for the postseason or do you redshirt her this year to let her fully recover and come back fully healed for a fifth year?
Old 04-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Old Man Mike
Fast as Lightning!

Cash: 40,051,733,758.56
Bank: 182,810,985,298,152.12
Total Bankroll: 182,851,037,031,910.69
Donate
Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!

To begin with: It's hard to think this way, but I would put aside my personal preferences vis-a-vis team, and make all decisions with Brianna's wishes in mind. I'd try to be good counsellor and keep my personal goals out of it --- but for discussion's sake, let's imagine that Brianna and her family were open to anything, and we could talk team.

If Muffet wanted to make a run next year (and this isn't a crazy idea if the point guard is truly good), then, despite our potentially incredible fire-power from the wings and Boley, she cannot make that run without a basket protector. We can scrap and get rebounds (with Jackie's big engine and if Arike decides to go for the ball on defense), but unless one of the rookies turns out to be an instant rejector, we're too soft inside. Therefore Muffet needs Brianna --- for sure by the tournament.

The redshirt scenario only works if you a): are satisfied with another top-ten, probably top-four, finish, but not a tourney survivor in 2017; and b). believe that Patberg or one the three rookie guards coming in 2018 is the real deal immediately. (because the Stanford girl will then be gone.)

I'm foggy-crystal-ball gazing at a healed Brianna for 2017, surrounded by the greatest amount of fire-power in the country (Marina, Arike, Erin: The Golden Bombers, plus what Kat, Jackie, and the new guard bring --- and Patberg used to be a scorer too.) It is not completely nuts to see Arike, Marina, Brianna, and Jackie as All-Star level players. Perhaps the new guard too. That's a load of talent --- still Muffet has to manage it into a team.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
military_irish
Starter

Cash: 200,009,611,401.62
Bank: 7,612,371,723,959.20
Total Bankroll: 7,812,381,335,360.82
Donate
military_irish should be giving advice to Kelly!military_irish should be giving advice to Kelly!military_irish should be giving advice to Kelly!military_irish should be giving advice to Kelly!military_irish should be giving advice to Kelly!military_irish should be giving advice to Kelly!military_irish should be giving advice to Kelly!military_irish should be giving advice to Kelly!military_irish should be giving advice to Kelly!military_irish should be giving advice to Kelly!military_irish should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Chicago Bulls Indianapolis Colts Notre Dame

Patberg and Boley are transferring at the end of the semester. Boley is a huge loss and a surprise.

https://twitter.com/ehansenndi/statu...89004780498945
Old 04-13-2017, 04:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
BGIF
Varsity Club

Cash: 8,780.75
Bank: 8,644,101,471,073,760.00
Total Bankroll: 8,644,101,471,082,541.00
Donate
BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!

Patberg and Boley ARE transfers after the current semester.

The night I opened this thread I intended to post a team roster and run down on each player. I decided to work some more on it and it never got posted. Monday the roster changed dramatically with the announcement that Patberg and Boley were both transferring.

I saw both, if healthy, next year getting more court time with Boley continuing the increased role she had in the NCAA Tournament especially with the likelihood that Turner would not be available for at least the first half of the season.

Patberg has been plagued with injuries and illness during her ND career so I don't see how a transfer helps her PT elsewhere unless she stays healthy. When she was healthy she showed flashes of her potential but only played in short stretches even in blowouts. AND in 169 minutes she had 18 points, 11 assists, and 8 turnovers. That's a long, long way from Lindsay Allen without considering LA's rebounding this year. To me she seemed to lack stamina but that's to an untrained eye. The transfer of Lili Thompson could reduce Ali's chance for PT but ... if she can beat out Thompson who has to work into a different scheme that she had been playing in, who will Patberg beat out after transferring to another prime time program? Or does she just want to play ... anywhere? She still to be healthy.

Boley's PT increased throughout the season and so did her offensive performance. Her defense improved somewhat but at times she was a liability on the floor. Many talented HS players come to college as shooters/scorers and are severely deficient on the defensive side. Boley is one of them.

I assumed ND without Turner would have a 7 player rotation, Marina, Airke, Kat, Jackie, Erin, and Lili with Patberg challenging Lili. I figured that after Westbeld recovers from surgery she move to #1 Post with Boley relliving her ahead of Koko. I also saw Boley playing Wing giving ND two small "Bigs" on the floor.

With the injury to Turner ND's paucity of Bigs became a famine, now it's Westbeld (having foot surgery) and Koko Nelson, and two incoming freshman Danielle Patterson and Mikayla Vaughn, neither of which is a plug in player much less on the talent level of Jewel or Brianna.They're both taller than Boley but neither have her muscle (girth) underneath the boards.

I've read speculation that Boley might not comfortable looking at future available PT at WING with Arike and Marina getting the lion's share of PT. I'm curious if she sees herself as a pure shooter and doesn't have the desire to fill the void underneath much less play defense with intensity. She did sit most of the second half of her last game when ND was already short handed without Turner. She had the opportunity to seize the day but Jackie Young seemed to do that.

I foresaw next season to be something like a 6-8 lost season with Turner BEFORE the transfers. There was no big depth to deal with injury or foul problems. Now Muffet will have to have a coach of the year season to get ND as far as they got this year. I've always like Kat but I don't see her being productive for 35 minutes or more under the basket all season.

Lesar: What are Muffet McGraw's options after Notre Dame's departures? | Notre Dame Insider Women's Basketball | ndinsider.com

Erin Boley to transfer from Notre Dame
Old 04-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
BabyIrish
Marble Mouth

Cash: 8,240,006,485.76
Bank: 10,766,780,951.08
Total Bankroll: 19,006,787,436.84
Donate
BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGIF View Post
The night I opened this thread I intended to post a team roster and run down on each player. I decided to work some more on it and it never got posted. Monday the roster changed dramatically with the announcement that Patberg and Boley were both transferring.

I saw both, if healthy, next year getting more court time with Boley continuing the increased role she had in the NCAA Tournament especially with the likelihood that Turner would not be available for at least the first half of the season.

Patberg has been plagued with injuries and illness during her ND career so I don't see how a transfer helps her PT elsewhere unless she stays healthy. When she was healthy she showed flashes of her potential but only played in short stretches even in blowouts. AND in 169 minutes she had 18 points, 11 assists, and 8 turnovers. That's a long, long way from Lindsay Allen without considering LA's rebounding this year. To me she seemed to lack stamina but that's to an untrained eye. The transfer of Lili Thompson could reduce Ali's chance for PT but ... if she can beat out Thompson who has to work into a different scheme that she had been playing in, who will Patberg beat out after transferring to another prime time program? Or does she just want to play ... anywhere? She still to be healthy.

Boley's PT increased throughout the season and so did her offensive performance. Her defense improved somewhat but at times she was a liability on the floor. Many talented HS players come to college as shooters/scorers and are severely deficient on the defensive side. Boley is one of them.

I assumed ND without Turner would have a 7 player rotation, Marina, Airke, Kat, Jackie, Erin, and Lili with Patberg challenging Lili. I figured that after Westbeld recovers from surgery she move to #1 Post with Boley relliving her ahead of Koko. I also saw Boley playing Wing giving ND two small "Bigs" on the floor.

With the injury to Turner ND's paucity of Bigs became a famine, now it's Westbeld (having foot surgery) and Koko Nelson, and two incoming freshman Danielle Patterson and Mikayla Vaughn, neither of which is a plug in player much less on the talent level of Jewel or Brianna.They're both taller than Boley but neither have her muscle (girth) underneath the boards.

I've read speculation that Boley might not comfortable looking at future available PT at WING with Arike and Marina getting the lion's share of PT. I'm curious if she sees herself as a pure shooter and doesn't have the desire to fill the void underneath much less play defense with intensity. She did sit most of the second half of her last game when ND was already short handed without Turner. She had the opportunity to seize the day but Jackie Young seemed to do that.

I foresaw next season to be something like a 6-8 lost season with Turner BEFORE the transfers. There was no big depth to deal with injury or foul problems. Now Muffet will have to have a coach of the year season to get ND as far as they got this year. I've always like Kat but I don't see her being productive for 35 minutes or more under the basket all season.

Lesar: What are Muffet McGraw's options after Notre Dame's departures? | Notre Dame Insider Women's Basketball | ndinsider.com

Erin Boley to transfer from Notre Dame
The Reiner now coupled with the Boley transfer is setting this program back at least a couple of years. So sad because we were set to be a constant Final Four team.