Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Athletics
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Old Man Mike
Fast as Lightning!

Cash: 40,051,711,897.69
Bank: 65,281,985,964,403.70
Total Bankroll: 65,322,037,676,301.39
Donate
Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!

Re: Final Four potential.

Yes, it will be tough, but not, at this distance, impossible.

1). Consider the unique assets: Both Marina and Arike easily have the potential to be All-Tournament quality players --- for entirely different reasons I never thought I'd be saying that, but it is now patently obvious to me that these are exceptional college players (I'm assuming that Arike stays team-oriented and dedicated to defense and rebounding.) AND we have another AA to come, and I believe that she will arrive at that status this coming year: Jackie Young --- this is a phenomenally valuable player in every phase of basketball. Plus we have a person in Kat who will be a much better than average Rock of Consistency (if she stays mainly on the high post.) Those are four players even Connecticut would want on their squad --- some of whom would start and all would play.

2). Potential: the Stanford transfer MUST BE REALLY GOOD at two things at least: ball protection and not fouling. We are real thin and can't afford much foul trouble anywhere --- but, as is, especially at point guard. If she IS really good, then Muffet will have five outstanding players to put on the floor in crunch situations --- "small ball" --- but with Young and Westbeld swinging up and down between high and low post, that offense could be unstoppable. Defensively? Trouble vs twin towers undoubtedly. Rebounding? Brianna didn't rebound well vs Bigs anyway, and Erin surely didn't, and we were one bucket away from Final Four that way.

3). Bench? Terrifying. Will Koko be a modest time-saver at a Big? Probably. Will one of the incoming Frosh? Probably. Muffet might have to use the "we've got 15 fouls to give" strategy on twin towers, and leave it at that. Outside? Mychal must get healthy and step up as a senior. She CAN play. She just needs to find her confidence in her shot, and in her ball-handling. She has this in her. But think about this: We could be looking at a bench with four people sitting on it. Muffet can't even practice with that. (If we don't magically add a couple of players somehow, I'll be boggled. --- you can practice some things with a designated only-mildly aggressive boys team --- i.e. no leaping and crashing the boards like wild animals ---, and there are some good things about that, but you need full squads of scholarship athletes for lots of the situations ... to say nothing of game-ready bench-prep.)

This team looks at the moment as a chimaera: we can field a Five who can beat almost anybody's Five, but we can field a second Five who can beat almost nobody. Could we possibly have a Tournament where nobody got in foul trouble, nobody went Dead Cold, and Jackie (with a little help from Kat and Arike) rebounded every opponent's brains out? .... Maybe.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 06-01-2017, 04:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
BGIF
Varsity Club

Cash: 1,942.67
Bank: 17,520,196,357,783,994.00
Total Bankroll: 17,520,196,357,785,936.00
Donate
BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!

Notre Dame transfer Erin Boley ready to start over at Oregon | Notre Dame Insider Women's Basketball | ndinsider.com

Eric Hansen South Bend Tribune ehansen@ndinsider.com @EHansenNDI May 30, 2017

Quote:
A lot of it had to do with relationships. And I was really looking for a family atmosphere, somewhere where I could really make a home and have really good relationships.

I wanted to be around coaches that were really invested in me and believed in me and were going to be great mentors and people that felt like family to me. That's really what I was looking for the most.

Quote:
I knew what I was kind of looking for this time in recruiting, and I really felt like I fit in really well with what they were doing. I thought the combination of players and coaches is exactly what I was looking for, and I felt like it was a great place with a bright future. And I wanted to be a part of it.
SMH!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-01-2017, 05:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
BGIF
Varsity Club

Donate
BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!

Jessica Shepard ND Bound ?

Rumors.

Shepard, 6-4 F/C, is a 2nd year Nebraska transfer. She would have to sit out the '17-'18 season and then have two years of eligibility remaining.

Visited ND on 4/20/17 after a visit to South Carolina.

#3 ranked player 2015 Hoop Gurlz.

She has a big frame. Scored 32 points and hauled in 11 rebs against MSU in 42 minutes. Scored over 1,110 points in two seasons and had 25 double doubles.

She can hit from beyond the arc but not sure why you would want her out there when she can hit a variety of shots down low.

http://www.cornnation.com/2017/3/27/...ens-basketball

Quote:
Shepard averaged 18.4 points and 9.7 rebounds a game for the Huskers in the 2016-17 season, earning her second team all-Big Ten honors. As a freshman, Shepard earned first team all-Big Ten honors by shattering NU’s freshman scoring record by scoring 574 points and earning Big Ten freshman of the week honors ten times.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Old Man Mike
Fast as Lightning!

Donate
Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!

Nice idea, but how do we manage to fit transfers into the rigidity of the academic schedules?

This player seems to know Brianna Turner and was tweeted about a week ago. Also posts a lot about religion.

..... mysterious.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
BGIF
Varsity Club

Donate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Mike View Post
Nice idea, but how do we manage to fit transfers into the rigidity of the academic schedules?

This player seems to know Brianna Turner and was tweeted about a week ago. Also posts a lot about religion.

..... mysterious.

I don't know any details of her academic load at Nebraska and how she would integrate into an ND curriculum. She does have the required sit out transfer year to deal with the adjustment.

I saw the tweet pic of Brianna last night. I assumed that pic was post Bri's ACL and was wondering if Shepard was identifying with the load Turner carried. One stark difference being talented players who picked up much of Bri's absence with unselfish team ball. Nebraska didn't have the talent on the court nor on the sideline.

As a freshman Shepard had a decent supporting cast of teammates and she excelled. A couple transferred out prior to her sophomore season and while her ppg and rpg improved slightly her shooting percentage took about a 10 point dive from 51% to the low 40s. Without good teammate support she was doubled teamed most of the time and had to try and make up for the transferees. Nebraska was 7-22 this past season, their worse season ever. But they beat MSU in overtime with Shephard scoring 32 with 11 rebs in 43 minutes of play.

In one of the tweets she had a clip of a 3 point shot she made from the top of the key. Turns out she was the 2nd leading 3 pt scorer on her team and the took the 2nd highest number of shots ... but only hit 31%. From looking at the stats it seems everybody on the team was attempting 3s including a 6-5 senior on the team. No regular hit 40%.

Nebraska had coaching turnover and apparently quite a few unhappy players leading to the large number of transfers. Shepard grew up in NE and committed as a freshman ... in high school. Her goal was always to play for the home state school. The coaching problem was helping her develop in college or for the pros.

ND would provide a stable coaching environment, a winning program, and deep teammate support. Everybody on the floor can score. She wouldn't have to come outside the arc to open up the floor for teammates. Opponents that jam the paint would get toasted from a team of outside shooters and effective passers.

I think she'd be a fit on the floor and with a year to transition and ND's tutorial program, I suspect it would turn out well all around.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Old Man Mike
Fast as Lightning!

Donate

So do I..... if she wants to come. Muffet mysteriously never has a full number of scholarship players lately.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Irish#1
Legend

Cash: 502,513,647,888.37
Bank: 37,408,666,251,028.43
Total Bankroll: 37,911,179,898,916.80
Donate
Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Notre Dame

Move that size inside.