Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Athletics
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
RDU Irish
Catholics vs. Cousins

Cash: 1,009,000,008,653.23
Bank: 22,847,848,236.65
Total Bankroll: 1,031,847,856,889.87
Donate
RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Bears Notre Dame

I can totally understand Matt Ryan's frustration, the point he needs to appreciate is that HE will now get that benefit of staying on the court during 1-12 shooting nights that VJ had all year (really last two years). VJ was a liability on defense, played as small as any 6-8 guy in the country despite some pretty long arms - would be interesting to see what his high water mark for rebounds was all year. Nobody should have been shooting threes over VJ yet it happened all the damn time. Ryan showed a lot of defensive improvement toward the end of the year and I think he can lock down a core position in Brey's short line up (by that I mean his 6-7 man go-to rotation, not height wise). Geben and Torres may play bigger but Ryan opens up the offense for everyone.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 03-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Old Man Mike
Fast as Lightning!

Cash: 40,051,720,691.39
Bank: 107,102,017,503,763.08
Total Bankroll: 107,142,069,224,454.45
Donate
Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!

Colson is a great college player, and his unconventional "shape" allows him to play three to four inches "taller" than he is. But it's difficult to see how that translates to the NBA with all its 6'8"/6"9/6'10" skywalkers blocking shots. Secondly, the NBA requires almost all its people to run and, if in position, to shoot the threes. Plus, it's hard to see him being slotted into a near-the-basket position offensively, and more important defensively --- raw height-without-yet-jumping still counts there. CAN he be a wing?

Colson's such a winner-warrior that he'd be good to have on your bench, but if you're an NBA coach do you want to spend a high draft pick (without him proving more to you in, say, another year of college)? If anyone here knows what his family's economic situation is, that might be a factor.

His senior year should be a lot of fun, and something that he'll never get a second crack at. That and graduating might be valued over other factors unless his family needs the money now. I'd stay, but no one asked me during my intramural days with the Chem Club team.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Irish#1
Legend

Cash: 505,544,580,742.14
Bank: 55,587,310,202,739.05
Total Bankroll: 56,092,854,783,481.18
Donate
Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by koonja View Post
Bonzie doesn't need to come back, it's not like he's going to get taller or become more skilled of a scorer (because he already is very skilled), but if he does, he should focus on his fitness big time. I think that's the only area he can improve - broaden those shoulders and cut some fat.

BodyByBonzie
I disagree. He can still improve his offensive game, but his biggest area for development is on defense. If his aspirations are to play in Europe, then he should go now. Given the number of second round guys that make a roster is pretty low, if he wants a legit shot at the NBA he needs to stay and improve himself as much as possible.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
koonja
GOAT

Cash: 60,557,553.99
Bank: 118,101,539,420.05
Total Bankroll: 118,162,096,974.04
Donate
koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!
Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish#1 View Post
I disagree. He can still improve his offensive game, but his biggest area for development is on defense. If his aspirations are to play in Europe, then he should go now. Given the number of second round guys that make a roster is pretty low, if he wants a legit shot at the NBA he needs to stay and improve himself as much as possible.
Well yeah, everyone can theoretically improve their game every year. But can he handle the ball for a big? Yes. Can he score in the post? Without a doubt. Can he pass? Without a doubt. Can he shoot from the outside for a big? Without a doubt. It's not like his offense has any glaring weakness he has to perfect.

His defense can improve, and that'd improve as a by product of shaping his body better, which is my only 'weakness' I can find for him to actually improve to a significant degree.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
GowerND11
Senior

Cash: 1,279,088.83
Bank: 2,427,008,448,534.16
Total Bankroll: 2,427,009,727,622.99
Donate
GowerND11 should be giving advice to Kelly!GowerND11 should be giving advice to Kelly!GowerND11 should be giving advice to Kelly!GowerND11 should be giving advice to Kelly!GowerND11 should be giving advice to Kelly!GowerND11 should be giving advice to Kelly!GowerND11 should be giving advice to Kelly!GowerND11 should be giving advice to Kelly!GowerND11 should be giving advice to Kelly!GowerND11 should be giving advice to Kelly!GowerND11 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Seattle Mariners Chicago Bulls San Francisco 49ers Notre Dame Arsenal

Quote:
Well yeah, everyone can theoretically improve their game every year. But can he handle the ball for a big? Yes. Can he score in the post? Without a doubt. Can he pass? Without a doubt. Can he shoot from the outside for a big? Without a doubt. It's not like his offense has any glaring weakness he has to perfect.

His defense can improve, and that'd improve as a by product of shaping his body better, which is my only 'weakness' I can find for him to actually improve to a significant degree.
But he isn't a big. In the NBA he needs to transition to a wing if he has any value for an organization. He's 6'5.... He can't play the post in the NBA, this isn't Charles Barkley's NBA. He needs to improve that outside shooting to not just be "good for a big." He needs to shoot well for an NBA player.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Irish#1
Legend

Cash: 505,544,580,742.14
Bank: 55,587,310,202,739.05
Total Bankroll: 56,092,854,783,481.18
Donate
Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Notre Dame

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GowerND11 View Post
But he isn't a big. In the NBA he needs to transition to a wing if he has any value for an organization. He's 6'5.... He can't play the post in the NBA, this isn't Charles Barkley's NBA. He needs to improve that outside shooting to not just be "good for a big." He needs to shoot well for an NBA player.
Beat me to it, but you're correct. Reshaping his body isn't going to fix everything. The margin for getting into the NBA is so small that the smallest improvement might make the difference. Can he handle the ball? He's not bad, but I see more than marginal room for improvement in ball handling and driving to the basket. Especially having to play at the 3 or 4.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
clashmore_mike

Cash: 791,671.59
Bank: 4,201,385,436,845.41
Total Bankroll: 4,201,386,228,516.99
Donate
clashmore_mike should be giving advice to Kelly!clashmore_mike should be giving advice to Kelly!clashmore_mike should be giving advice to Kelly!clashmore_mike should be giving advice to Kelly!clashmore_mike should be giving advice to Kelly!clashmore_mike should be giving advice to Kelly!clashmore_mike should be giving advice to Kelly!clashmore_mike should be giving advice to Kelly!clashmore_mike should be giving advice to Kelly!clashmore_mike should be giving advice to Kelly!clashmore_mike should be giving advice to Kelly!
Atlanta Braves Notre Dame

I don't remember where I read it, but Colson will be back. Brey expects him, and I think will encourage him, to go through the pre draft process without signing with an agent like Beachem did last year.

Colson, and the rest of the team, could really benefit from some time in the weight room this off season. They looked like they were really wearing down the last couple weeks. Part of that is the short rotation playing big minutes all year, but the guys just looked weak. Brey alluded to that after the West Virginia game, calling WVU a bunch of men. Maybe we'll see him in the weight room with the team at 6 in the morning this summer.