Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Outside The Lines > The Leprechaun Lounge
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
IrishLax
Uncle Buck

Cash: 410,925.05
Bank: 10,097,589,072,375.43
Total Bankroll: 10,097,589,483,300.48
Donate
IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!
Washington Nationals Washington Redskins Washington Capitals Notre Dame

Oversigning: My Friend just got SEC'd

I'm honestly in a bit of disbelief and thought I needed to share this. I've never heard of this happening to this degree outside of big time sports at a couple select schools... so I'm putting this up here as a cautionary tale to any parents who have children looking to play college sports in any sport at any school on any level...

One of my family friends was a blue chip lacrosse recruit... top 10 at his position nationally, etc... basically had offers from almost every single school out there. He opted to go to Syracuse. So to make a long story short and leaving out personal specifics here's what happened:

Syracuse is one of the premier lacrosse programs in the country, with the most national championships in the modern era, and accordingly has very high performance standards... no different then Kentucky basketball or Alabama football or any other premier program. My friend joined the program shortly after back-to-back national championships in 2008/2009. But in 2010 through 2012 they've only made the quarterfinals once and barely made the tournament last year. This is his third year with the team... while being recruited, the head coach told him all kinds of things about he was their #1 guy and he could play right away and they only recruit a small number of his position a year... and he got sold on their success and how lacrosse players are "rock stars" at Syracuse with all kinds of perks I won't even get into. So he ended up eschewing better educational opportunities at Ivy League and other schools to go be "the man" at the #1 program (see: "The next Percy Harvin!")

In his first year, he got playing time and everything seemed to be trending in the right direction. He also got asked to give back a chunk of his scholarship because his parents were affluent so guys in "more need" could have it and obliged. But in the background of all of this, they had a pretty bad year. So the year after, they bring in a bunch of transfers at his position... proving the line they gave him during recruiting the year before to be total BS. He stopped seeing the field... then stopped traveling as a younger player (who was also a blue chip recruit of course) passed him up... and Syracuse had one of their worst years in a pretty long time in the background of it all. So then comes this year, as Syracuse tries harder and harder to right the ship, they bring in even more transfers and recruits. They end up way overfilled at basically every position. So what do they do?

They cut about a dozen kids. Seriously. A dozen freaking kids. They all got told that straight up there wasn't enough room on the team for them anymore. Meanwhile, coaches' kids/relatives who suck of course keep their spots. Makes Saban's medical hardships and Ole Miss' rampant over-signing of yesteryear look like peanuts.

So a word of caution to parents out there... doesn't matter if your kid is football recruit or softball recruit... send them to the school that is the best SCHOOL for them so that when/if something like this happens they're getting the best education for their career. Don't send your kid to a school for the coach because COACHES LIE. Don't send your kid to a school because they have the "best team" either and assume that there's something that makes your child more special then the other dozens of blue chippers. You don't want to end up in a situation where you're an upperclassmen and all of a sudden sitting there saying "shoot... maybe I should've gone to Harvard."

Last edited by IrishLax; 12-29-2012 at 05:01 PM..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Irishcop
Blue Chip Recruit

Cash: 3,041.36
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 3,041.36
Donate
Irishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to behold

That's so wrong to do. I was just looking at the 2013 college football recruiting class rankings, and I'm a little confused how Texas AM has 34 recruits and Georgia has 30.

Im really not well informed on recruiting rules, but is it ok for schools to take as many verbals as it wants to and then just tell some of those recruits to go kick rock during signing day?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
phgreek
Senior

Cash: 150,048,508.97
Total Bankroll: 150,048,508.97
Donate
phgreek should be giving advice to Kelly!phgreek should be giving advice to Kelly!phgreek should be giving advice to Kelly!phgreek should be giving advice to Kelly!phgreek should be giving advice to Kelly!phgreek should be giving advice to Kelly!phgreek should be giving advice to Kelly!phgreek should be giving advice to Kelly!phgreek should be giving advice to Kelly!phgreek should be giving advice to Kelly!phgreek should be giving advice to Kelly!
Pittsburgh Pirates Utah Jazz Pittsburgh Steelers Notre Dame

A kid I grew up with and played against since we were in grade school had a syracuse ordeal as well.

He wanted with all his heart to go to an Ivy league school. He was naturally the most talented all around athlete I'd ever seen. Syracuse came knocking...for football...he declined. He tried to make contact with the Ivy league school, and seemingly never heard from them. Unbeknowns to him, the Syracuse folks got to his HS football coach, and his coach told the Ivy league school he was no longer interested. Thinking he wasn't Ivy league material, he took the ride to Syracuse...and oh yea, his HS football coach also joined the staff....sh!t straight out of a movie.

Only after he finished at syracuse did he find out what happened...he never played in the NFL, and just think what the Ivy league degree would have done for him...

Coincidence that his story was Syracuse I guess, but the crap that happens to kids is sickening...

Momas and Popas, you gotta not be Jr.s friend in this. You gotta get in it. You gotta be heard. If in the end, you let the decision be theirs...great, but make sure you weigh in during the process. Make your presence known. I guarantee had my friend's parents been actively engaged...that sh!t wouldn't and couldn't happen...Don't let your kid be coach bait...
Old 12-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ndaccountant
That's my robe.

Cash: 87,206.31
Bank: 1,812,390,310.82
Total Bankroll: 1,812,477,517.13
Donate
Ndaccountant should be giving advice to Kelly!Ndaccountant should be giving advice to Kelly!Ndaccountant should be giving advice to Kelly!Ndaccountant should be giving advice to Kelly!Ndaccountant should be giving advice to Kelly!Ndaccountant should be giving advice to Kelly!Ndaccountant should be giving advice to Kelly!Ndaccountant should be giving advice to Kelly!Ndaccountant should be giving advice to Kelly!Ndaccountant should be giving advice to Kelly!Ndaccountant should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cleveland Indians Cleveland Browns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishcop View Post
That's so wrong to do. I was just looking at the 2013 college football recruiting class rankings, and I'm a little confused how Texas AM has 34 recruits and Georgia has 30.

Im really not well informed on recruiting rules, but is it ok for schools to take as many verbals as it wants to and then just tell some of those recruits to go kick rock during signing day?
Well, I think I owe it to my Georgia buddies to stick up for them here. While this chart is a little outdated, it does show that even with the 30 recruits (which includes early enrollers) they are under the total scholarship limit.

UGASports.com - Georgia Football Scholarship Numbers

Under the same reasoning, A&M can sign 31 (6 early enrollers) and still be under. Additionally, it is widely speculated that a few of their 34 cannot qualify. So while they are committed, they will not enroll.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
GoldenIsThyFame

Cash: 789,187.84
Bank: 26,143,268,729.92
Total Bankroll: 26,144,057,917.76
Donate
GoldenIsThyFame should be giving advice to Kelly!GoldenIsThyFame should be giving advice to Kelly!GoldenIsThyFame should be giving advice to Kelly!GoldenIsThyFame should be giving advice to Kelly!GoldenIsThyFame should be giving advice to Kelly!GoldenIsThyFame should be giving advice to Kelly!GoldenIsThyFame should be giving advice to Kelly!GoldenIsThyFame should be giving advice to Kelly!GoldenIsThyFame should be giving advice to Kelly!GoldenIsThyFame should be giving advice to Kelly!GoldenIsThyFame should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Indiana Manchester United

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndaccountant View Post
Well, I think I owe it to my Georgia buddies to stick up for them here. While this chart is a little outdated, it does show that even with the 30 recruits (which includes early enrollers) they are under the total scholarship limit.

Under the same reasoning, A&M can sign 31 (6 early enrollers) and still be under. Additionally, it is widely speculated that a few of their 34 cannot qualify. So while they are committed, they will not enroll.
Ha that's only because of all the damn trouble kids have gotten into there. Go look at the UGA arrests and dismissals for violation of team rules over the last three years. Where do you think the "Mark Richt has lost control over..." meme comes from.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Irishcop
Blue Chip Recruit

Cash: 3,041.36
Total Bankroll: 3,041.36
Donate
Irishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to beholdIrishcop is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndaccountant View Post

Thanks for the info. I wasn't trying to knock anyone, I just dont understand the ins and outs of recruiting. I guess AM and Georgia will take much smaller classes next year.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
MrIrishCanadian1
Douche Lord

Cash: 6,004.98
Bank: 2,349.87
Total Bankroll: 8,354.85
Donate
MrIrishCanadian1 has much to be proud ofMrIrishCanadian1 has much to be proud ofMrIrishCanadian1 has much to be proud ofMrIrishCanadian1 has much to be proud ofMrIrishCanadian1 has much to be proud ofMrIrishCanadian1 has much to be proud ofMrIrishCanadian1 has much to be proud ofMrIrishCanadian1 has much to be proud ofMrIrishCanadian1 has much to be proud ofMrIrishCanadian1 has much to be proud ofMrIrishCanadian1 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishcop View Post
Thanks for the info. I wasn't trying to knock anyone, I just dont understand the ins and outs of recruiting. I guess AM and Georgia will take much smaller classes next year.
Assuming the arrest and rule violation trends don't continue.