Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Outside The Lines > The Leprechaun Lounge
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Grahambo

Cash: 0
Bank: 0
Total Bankroll: 0
Donate
This day in history..

I love history and I love reading about this type of stuff. I figured I would start a thread like this and each day add a fact or two about the day. It's a great way to learn as well. You find something odd, click on a link to a person or event and learn about it. It's addicting (to me anyway). Others are more then welcome to contribute. It's better with the unknown things then it is with something like June 6, 1944 (everybody knows that's D-Day, at least you should know).

So to start it off...

July 13, 1174 – William I of Scotland, a key rebel in the Revolt of 1173–1174, is captured at Alnwick by forces loyal to Henry II of England.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
A Pac
Me in ND Stadium

Cash: 0.00
Bank: 2,406,403,295,409.93
Total Bankroll: 2,406,403,295,409.93
Donate
A Pac is a fountain of informationA Pac is a fountain of informationA Pac is a fountain of informationA Pac is a fountain of informationA Pac is a fountain of informationA Pac is a fountain of informationA Pac is a fountain of informationA Pac is a fountain of informationA Pac is a fountain of informationA Pac is a fountain of informationA Pac is a fountain of information
Cleveland Indians Cleveland Cavaliers Cleveland Browns Notre Dame

Love the idea. I'm a history teacher so this is right up my alley.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grahambo

Donate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pac View Post
Love the idea. I'm a history teacher so this is right up my alley.
Maybe the thread will die a quick death but we still have like 6 weeks until the season starts so why the hell not.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
dshans
They call me The Dribbler

Cash: 517.39
Bank: 2,933,479,846,224.94
Total Bankroll: 2,933,479,846,742.33
Donate
dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!
Minnesota Twins New Orleans Saints Dartmouth

On July 13, 1987, my son's bestest buddy growing up (Andy Paulson) was born. On July 21, 1952, dshans was born, which played an important role in pshans birth on July 27, 1987.

Oh, and my twin sister, gshans, was also born on July 21, 1952. 'Twas a good day, indeed.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
BobD
Can't get no satisfaction

Cash: 33,753.72
Bank: 780,150,349,216.38
Total Bankroll: 780,150,382,970.09
Donate
BobD should be giving advice to Kelly!BobD should be giving advice to Kelly!BobD should be giving advice to Kelly!BobD should be giving advice to Kelly!BobD should be giving advice to Kelly!BobD should be giving advice to Kelly!BobD should be giving advice to Kelly!BobD should be giving advice to Kelly!BobD should be giving advice to Kelly!BobD should be giving advice to Kelly!BobD should be giving advice to Kelly!
San Francisco Giants San Francisco 49ers Notre Dame

Cool idea! I hope it catches on.

July 13th 1973 – Alexander Butterfield reveals the existence of the "Nixon tapes" to the special Senate committee investigating the Watergate break in.

The begining of the end for "Tricky D!ck Nixon". I think his only true crime might have been getting caught.

Interesting side note: His religion is listed as "Quaker"......I didn't know that.

Last edited by BobD; 07-14-2012 at 12:35 AM..
Old 07-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
BGIF
Varsity Club

Cash: 624.29
Bank: 184,066,207.05
Total Bankroll: 184,066,831.34
Donate
BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!BGIF should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshans View Post
On July 13, 1987, my son's bestest buddy growing up (Andy Paulson) was born. On July 21, 1952, dshans was born, which played an important role in pshans birth on July 27, 1987.

Oh, and my twin sister, gshans, was also born on July 21, 1952. 'Twas a good day, indeed.

Staying with the Not On This Date In History theme segue initiated by dshans, on October 27 (also not on this date), 1951, dshans I, aka Daddy shans was at the original Marriage Encounter Seminar. The Speaker was discussing the frequency of marital coitus among the married couples and mentioned that he was about to take a survey. He noticed one man sitting in the first row anxiously waiting to raise his hand.

The Speaker asked how many had sex several times a day, a few hands went up among the newlyweds. The man in the front row was not one of them but he sat poised to shoot up his hand.

The Speaker now asked how many had sex several times a week and a few more hands went up but the man in front still sat in anticipation.

The Speaker asked how many had sex once a week and quite a few hands went up but the man in front was still not among them

The Speaker asked how many has sex once a month and more hands went up but still not the man in front althougth he looked like he weaved back and forth like a cobra ready to strike.

Then the Speaker asked those who had sex once a season to raise their hand and a few more went up but again not the man in front.

Finally the Speaker asked those who had sex just once a year to raise their hand and the man in front jumped 9 feet into the air waving his arm with the urgency of a conductor signalling a train wreck.

When the man calmed down the Speaker asked, "Sir, if you only have sex once a year why are you so excited?"

The man jumped to his feet and blurted out, "I'm a shans and today is ANNUAL shans Mating Day. TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT! TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT!"

July 27, 1952 was a big day to dshans but October 27, 1951 was a BIGGER one to daddyshans.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Grahambo

Donate

July 14, 1789 – Alexander Mackenzie finally completes his journey to the mouth of the great river he hoped would take him to the Pacific, but which turns out to flow into the Arctic Ocean. Later named after him, the Mackenzie is the second-longest river system in North America.