Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Outside The Lines > The Leprechaun Lounge
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #743 (permalink)
RyCo1983
REMEMBER THE ALAMO!

Cash: 85.00
Bank: 1,332,105,272,319,204.75
Total Bankroll: 1,332,105,272,319,289.75
Donate
RyCo1983 should be giving advice to Kelly!RyCo1983 should be giving advice to Kelly!RyCo1983 should be giving advice to Kelly!RyCo1983 should be giving advice to Kelly!RyCo1983 should be giving advice to Kelly!RyCo1983 should be giving advice to Kelly!RyCo1983 should be giving advice to Kelly!RyCo1983 should be giving advice to Kelly!RyCo1983 should be giving advice to Kelly!RyCo1983 should be giving advice to Kelly!RyCo1983 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Northern Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan4Life View Post
Looking to buy a new gaming PC. I mainly play FPS games, but the system I currently have is too slow and the graphics suck royally. I'd like to spend less than $1,000.

I've been looking at these recently, but have no idea what the best graphics card is:

Intel Gaming Systems - Gaming Systems - Gaming - Cybertron International, Inc.

Any help would be appreciated.
Check out Tom's Hardware: Hardware News, Tests and Reviews
Post in their forum.
They'll built you a beast for your budget.
Build your own. It's easy, and it's cheaper. Much cheaper.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 04-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #744 (permalink)
ulukinatme
Holtz/Triumph in 2016!

Cash: 265,310.30
Bank: 10,078,372,466,612,954.00
Total Bankroll: 10,078,372,466,878,264.00
Donate
ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!
Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan4Life View Post
Looking to buy a new gaming PC. I mainly play FPS games, but the system I currently have is too slow and the graphics suck royally. I'd like to spend less than $1,000.

I've been looking at these recently, but have no idea what the best graphics card is:

Intel Gaming Systems - Gaming Systems - Gaming - Cybertron International, Inc.

Any help would be appreciated.
I think it's typically cheaper to build your own, either through a website or get the parts yourself, although depending on where you shop you don't always save that much these days. I've been building my own rigs for the last 12 years or so, although I only upgrade every 3-4 years. I find it's more fun to do it yourself, and it's kind of nice deciding what goes in and what does and doesn't get installed.

That being said, I typically buy parts that are "last year" and save big money. A year and a half ago I built an 8 core AMD machine with an nVidia 660 GTX Ti Boost along with 8 GB of RAM. You don't need much more than 8 GB these days for most games, no matter what kids in Steam say. RAM is easy to upgrade later anyway. If you're thinking to the future you could go with 12-16, but anything more than that and you're overpaying big.

For the video card I would go with an nVidia in the $130-150 range and you should be fine, probably one of the 700 models as the 900s are too pricey still. I like EVGA's nVidia cards myself, they've always done well.

For a processor you'll save if you go with an AMD, but I wouldn't get an 8 core like I did. Some stuff can support all those, but not a lot yet...I bought it mostly hoping that they'll get better utilized once Star Citizen gets optimized more. A Quad core AMD would save you some money and run perfectly fine, or if you want to go Intel you can actually do pretty well with some of the dual core i5s. Supposedly benchmark testing with some of the i5s have outperformed a lot of the quad cores in single threaded tasks. I'd stay away from the Intel quad core i7 unless you want to pony up the cash. I had one in a laptop and the damn thing wouldn't run cool at all, even after having the thermal past redone and a better fan installed.

As far as a motherboard, I typically get an Asus or a Gigabyte, they've always done well for me. Don't buy the cheapest model, but you don't need the most expensive. Just find one that's got good reviews and has all the expansion slots you're going to need/want in the future: available RAM slots and maximum allowed, 2x PCI express & SLI capable, SATA slots, IDE slots if you still have any drives that use them, etc.

Good luck!

Last edited by ulukinatme; 04-13-2015 at 08:24 PM..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #745 (permalink)
NDFan4Life
Forum Regular

Cash: 42,355.50
Bank: 24,690,697,175,392.97
Total Bankroll: 24,690,697,217,748.47
Donate
NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!
St Louis Cardinals Chicago Bears Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingAlamo View Post
Check out Tom's Hardware: Hardware News, Tests and Reviews
Post in their forum.
They'll built you a beast for your budget.
Build your own. It's easy, and it's cheaper. Much cheaper.
Cool. Thanks, I'll check them out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-13-2015, 08:28 PM   #746 (permalink)
NDFan4Life
Forum Regular

Cash: 42,355.50
Bank: 24,690,697,175,392.97
Total Bankroll: 24,690,697,217,748.47
Donate
NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!NDFan4Life should be giving advice to Kelly!
St Louis Cardinals Chicago Bears Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulukinatme View Post
I think it's typically cheaper to build your own, either through a website or get the parts yourself, although depending on where you shop you don't always save that much these days. I've been building my own rigs for the last 12 years or so, although I only upgrade every 3-4 years. I find it's more fun to do it yourself, and it's kind of nice deciding what goes in and what does and doesn't get installed.

That being said, I typically buy parts that are "last year" and save big money. A year and a half ago I built an 8 core AMD machine with an nVidia 660 GTX Ti Boost along with 8 GB of RAM. You don't need much more than 8 GB these days for most games, no matter what kids in Steam say. RAM is easy to upgrade later anyway. If you're thinking to the future you could go with 12-16, but anything more than that and you're overpaying big.

For the video card I would go with an nVidia in the $130-150 range and you should be fine, probably one of the 700 models as the 900s are too pricey still. I like EVGA's nVidia cards myself, they've always done well.

Thanks. That definitely helped me a lot.
For a processor you'll save if you go with an AMD, but I wouldn't get an 8 core like I did. Some stuff can support all those, but not a lot yet...I bought it mostly hoping that they'll get better utilized once Star Citizen gets optimized more. A Quad core AMD would save you some money and run perfectly fine, or if you want to go Intel you can actually do pretty well with some of the dual core i5s. Supposedly benchmark testing with some of the i5s have outperformed a lot of the quad cores in single threaded tasks. I'd stay away from the Intel quad core i7 unless you want to pony up the cash. I had one in a laptop and the damn thing wouldn't run cool at all, even after having the thermal past redone and a better fan installed.

As far as a motherboard, I typically get an Asus or a Gigabyte, they've always done well for me. Don't buy the cheapest model, but you don't need the most expensive. Just find one that's got good reviews and has all the expansion slots you're going to need/want in the future: available RAM slots and maximum allowed, 2x PCI express & SLI capable, SATA slots, IDE slots if you still have any drives that use them, etc.

Good luck!
Thanks. This will definitely help me a lot.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #747 (permalink)
ulukinatme
Holtz/Triumph in 2016!

Cash: 265,310.30
Bank: 10,078,372,466,612,954.00
Total Bankroll: 10,078,372,466,878,264.00
Donate
ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!
Notre Dame

Sure, if you do decide to either buy the parts yourself, or build a rig on a website, just shout out any questions you may have. When stuck between one model and another I typically go by customer reviews, it's hard to go wrong there. The last time I really tried to save I went for a cheap Power Supply for my parent's computer and I disregarded the "mixed" reviews because I figured "It's just a Power Supply, and more people get online to complain than the people that have good, working parts." Well, as it turned out I rolled the dice and had to RMA it for a different Power Supply
Old 04-13-2015, 08:47 PM   #748 (permalink)
Whiskeyjack
Logic & Reason

Cash: 5,000,053,491.92
Bank: 1,066,640,308,707,758.88
Total Bankroll: 1,066,645,308,761,250.75
Donate
Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!
Notre Dame

Can't endorse Tom's Hardware strongly enough. If you don't get around to posting for customized advice in the forum there, they publish a Budget Gaming PC build every quarter as part of their System Builder Marathon. You can't go wrong just using their most recent recommended build.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #749 (permalink)
ACamp1900
This cat is old school.

Cash: 1,111,719,288,467.76
Bank: 1,942,699,072,466.79
Total Bankroll: 3,054,418,360,934.55
Donate
ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Los Angeles Angels Cleveland Browns Pittsburgh Penguins Kansas USA

Picked up the show for vita and ps4 good as always but it is getting to the point where they pretty much perfected and have no where else to go...

Been playing cbb 2k8 a bit, I do this every now and then, it's still a flat out great sports game too bad CFb never got a game this good....