Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Outside The Lines > The Leprechaun Lounge
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #1639 (permalink)
ACamp1900
Ground cntl to Maj. Tom

Cash: 1,109,468,431,093.09
Bank: 19,707,231,986,092.80
Total Bankroll: 20,816,700,417,185.88
Donate
ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!ACamp1900 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Los Angeles Angels Cleveland Browns Pittsburgh Penguins Kansas Newcastle United USA

I'm still super pissed about that late push forward... of all the massive screw ups in American sports history...

let. the. sleeping. dog. lie.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 11-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #1640 (permalink)
notredomer23
Go Irish

Cash: 51,942.58
Bank: 15,434,490.77
Total Bankroll: 15,486,433.36
Donate
notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees New York Knicks New York Giants Notre Dame Manchester City USA

Agreed Acamp. Watch them knock us out in the round of 16.

Best hope here is New Zealand can steal a goal back and not concede anymore, and somehow get up on Mexico when they go back to New Zealand. New Zealand would win because of away goal differential.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #1641 (permalink)
RuntheBall
Sophomore

Cash: 3,054.58
Bank: 2,640,436,695,410.46
Total Bankroll: 2,640,436,698,465.04
Donate
RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Penguins

After sub-par matches vs. Scotland and Austria (admittedly not our best sides), who do you guys see in the starting XI and on the roster at the WC next summer?

My thoughts:
- Brek Shea is good... off the bench. His energy seems to be better coming off the bench rather than the whole match. It doesn't seem he can play the whole 90 with good intensity. Almost the same with Johannsson. Both should play, but off of the bench. Also the winger spots are some of the deepest with Zusi presumably playing signifigant minutes (I think he should start).

-Brooks can be a solid starter for us... in 2 years. He is talented, but the maturity (communication, experience) isn't quite there yet, IMO. He may be able to pick up a spot on the team to gain experience and he isn't a terrible option.

- If Beasley starts, I won't watch.

- I think Besler is the best CB we have. Who do we parir with him? I guess its Gonzalez, though his distribution was suspect sometimes vs. Austria. Not a huge fan. Is good with his head though.

-Altidore plays well with someone up top? But we don't really have a good compliment for him, IMO. I think Dempsey is a bit more effective playing in more a mid-field role, though he is an option. Eddie Johnson and Boyd are other two interesting options, though I'm not sure either would start.

- I like Cameron's creativity and skill on the ball. He is great coming forward. Fouls a bit too much on defense though. HIm, F. Johnson or B. Evans at RB? [Or is Johnson LB? I like Fabian's skill coming forward too for the record. But having two wing back that are good coming forward may expose our CB's].

- Jermaine Jones frustrates me. He either turns the ball over or plays in back in the weirdest spots. His communication with Bradley seems to have regressed.

My starting XI:

GK: Howard
RB: Evans
CB: Besler
CB: Gonzalez
LB: F. Johnson (not sure if he plays LB RB or if Jurgen cares)
CDM: G. Cameron
DM: Bradley
LM: Donovan (its hard to keep him off of the field)
CM: Dempsey (maybe more of a CAM)
RM: Zusi
ST: Altidore

Others:
GK: Guzan and Rimando
Backs: Beasley, Goodson, Tim Ream (Chandler, Orozco, Brooks are some other options)
Midfield: Shea,Diskerud, Jermaine Jones (assuming he doesn't start, of course) [Danny Williams,Beckerman, Kljestan, B. Davis]
FW: Johannason, E. Johnson, Boyd (maybe only two to have more mid-field/ back options; though all three could play Dempsey's role and we could move Dempsey more to Donovan's role or something)

I probably missed a few.

What are you're guys ideas?

Last edited by RuntheBall; 11-21-2013 at 07:56 AM..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #1642 (permalink)
Cackalacky

Cash: 0
Bank: 0
Total Bankroll: 0
Donate

I like your starting XI and I think it will all depend on the opponent and if all of those are available for WC moving forward.

Beasley, is a clear cut starter. I don't like it (I actually hate it) but his form has been significantly improved since EVER, and it is his spot to lose. Klinnsman loves him there and he brings significant WC experience.

Unless he gets hurt, Jermaine Jones is a clear cut starter as well. I agree he is a head case but he is an enforcer which we need if Bradley is going to be the pacemaker. He tends to get caught forward too much and they do have to work on that.

Beasler and Gonzales will likely be the Cbs, though I really like Cameron and Gonzales together. Those are two imposing Cbs. I like Cameron at RB now too as that is what he is playing most with Stoke. Limited attacking options with him out-wide though. Evans can get up an down the sideline though he gets beat A LOT.

B team:
Diskerud, Zusi, F. Johnson, EJ, Johanssen, Cameron, Goodson, Evans, Brooks, Shea, Klesjstan (sp?), Guzan,

Old 11-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #1643 (permalink)
RuntheBall
Sophomore

Cash: 3,054.58
Bank: 2,640,436,695,410.46
Total Bankroll: 2,640,436,698,465.04
Donate
RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!RuntheBall should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Penguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackalacky View Post
I like your starting XI and I think it will all depend on the opponent and if all of those are available for WC moving forward.

Beasley, is a clear cut starter. I don't like it (I actually hate it) but his form has been significantly improved since EVER, and it is his spot to lose. Klinnsman loves him there and he brings significant WC experience.

Unless he gets hurt, Jermaine Jones is a clear cut starter as well. I agree he is a head case but he is an enforcer which we need if Bradley is going to be the pacemaker. He tends to get caught forward too much and they do have to work on that.

Beasler and Gonzales will likely be the Cbs, though I really like Cameron and Gonzales together. Those are two imposing Cbs. I like Cameron at RB now too as that is what he is playing most with Stoke. Limited attacking options with him out-wide though. Evans can get up an down the sideline though he gets beat A LOT.

B team:
Diskerud, Zusi, F. Johnson, EJ, Johanssen, Cameron, Goodson, Evans, Brooks, Shea, Klesjstan (sp?), Guzan,
I still see Cameron as a DM I guess. He has said that is his preferred position [both club and national], so I'd have liked to see him there again in a friendly to see how it works out.

But you are probably right on Jones and Beasley. Jones does bring something, but is really frustrating to me in the build up and transition game. He seems to be magically missing every time we give up a goal. Plus having Cameron and Bradley in the DM, two distributers and guys who have nice balls (....), seems redundant. I think they are the two most skillful players though.

Beasley gets beat too much IMO, though he does bring some experience to the back-line which is much needed.

Do you have any ideas on what we will/ should do up top? Altidore needs someone to play with IMO and I don't like seeing Dempsey up there, though he probably will be.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #1644 (permalink)
Cackalacky

Cash: 0
Bank: 0
Total Bankroll: 0
Donate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuntheBall View Post
I still see Cameron as a DM I guess. He has said that is his preferred position [both club and national], so I'd have liked to see him there again in a friendly to see how it works out.

But you are probably right on Jones and Beasley. Jones does bring something, but is really frustrating to me in the build up and transition game. He seems to be magically missing every time we give up a goal. Plus having Cameron and Bradley in the DM, two distributers and guys who have nice balls (....), seems redundant. I think they are the two most skillful players though.

Beasley gets beat too much IMO, though he does bring some experience to the back-line which is much needed.

Do you have any ideas on what we will/ should do up top? Altidore needs someone to play with IMO and I don't like seeing Dempsey up there, though he probably will be.
I don't think we need another forward per SE with Altidore but he has to get help. I think with with good wide play and runs up the middle into the box that can be achieved tactically with Dempsey and Donovan.

Personally I like a 4-1-3-1-1:

Howard
Cameron. Gonzales Besler. Beasley
Bradley
Donovan. Jones. Johnson (F or E)
Dempsey (Zusi)
Altidore
This lineup can easily become numerous formations or are tactically interchangeable.

Last edited by Cackalacky; 11-21-2013 at 09:50 AM..

Old 11-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #1645 (permalink)
notredomer23
Go Irish

Cash: 51,942.58
Bank: 15,434,490.77
Total Bankroll: 15,486,433.36
Donate
notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees New York Knicks New York Giants Notre Dame Manchester City USA

GK Howard
RB Cameron
CB Besler
CB Gonzalez
LB Johnson/Beasley
CDM: Jones
DM: Bradley
LM: Donovan
CAM: Johannsson/Dempsey
RM: Dempsey/Zusi
ST: Altidore