Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Outside The Lines > The Leprechaun Lounge
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
bobbyok1
Blue Chip Recruit

Cash: 17,161,499.98
Bank: 2,408,040.55
Total Bankroll: 19,569,540.53
Donate
bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Chicago Bulls Chicago Bears Chicago Blackhawks Notre Dame

Theology

As a vocational pastor I have been digging into three questions as of late and wanted to present them to interested IE members for mutual growth. I must admit I come to this discussion with preconceived notions of the correct answers to these questions, but I do feel as though I have much more room to grow in my understanding. The questions were stirred in me as I engaged a DVD series called "True U" by Focus on the Family (a conservative evangelical para church organization). I would love to hear your ideas, feedback and dialogue about the three. Humor is welcome, but please no abusing one another through hateful, degrading or belittling speech. Thanks!

Question #1- Is there a God? (A question of origin)

Question #2- Is the Bible reliable? (That is historically)

Question #3- Who is Jesus? (Real person? Fairy tale?)

(Since these are each huge questions that do not have simple answers feel free to tackle one at a time).

Last edited by Whiskeyjack; 07-11-2014 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 02-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
GATTACA!
It's about to get gross

Cash: 366.04
Bank: 1,603,474,521,564,853.50
Total Bankroll: 1,603,474,521,565,219.50
Donate
GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cleveland Indians Cleveland Cavaliers Cleveland Browns New Jersey Devils Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyok1 View Post
As a vocational pastor I have been digging into three questions as of late and wanted to present them to interested IE members for mutual growth. I must admit I come to this discussion with preconceived notions of the correct answers to these questions, but I do feel as though I have much more room to grow in my understanding. The questions were stirred in me as I engaged a DVD series called "True U" by Focus on the Family (a conservative evangelical para church organization). I would love to hear your ideas, feedback and dialogue about the three. Humor is welcome, but please no abusing one another through hateful, degrading or belittling speech. Thanks!

(Since these are each huge questions that do not have simple answers feel free to tackle one at a time).
Bill Nye would like a word.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
TheRealLynch51
Freshman

Cash: 1,039,756,906.23
Bank: 256,923,493,381.44
Total Bankroll: 257,963,250,287.67
Donate
TheRealLynch51 should be giving advice to Kelly!TheRealLynch51 should be giving advice to Kelly!TheRealLynch51 should be giving advice to Kelly!TheRealLynch51 should be giving advice to Kelly!TheRealLynch51 should be giving advice to Kelly!TheRealLynch51 should be giving advice to Kelly!TheRealLynch51 should be giving advice to Kelly!TheRealLynch51 should be giving advice to Kelly!TheRealLynch51 should be giving advice to Kelly!TheRealLynch51 should be giving advice to Kelly!TheRealLynch51 should be giving advice to Kelly!
St Louis Cardinals Miami Heat Indianapolis Colts Xavier

IMO...

#1: I think a god or some sort of higher being is real (Im more in the school of Karma)

#2: The Bible is not historically reliable at all. Most books of the bible were written hundreds of years after the time of Jesus and the clash between the New and Old Testament seem wrong to me. Still think they're are some decent values to be found in there.

#3: Jesus was real and was one of the greatest philosophers of all time with some great messages about love and handling ones self. However, he was not the son of a god, he didn't perform miracles, and his crucifixion wasn't glorified over anyone else's. He was a great man with a great message.

That is all.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
no.1IrishFan
Team MVP

Cash: 4,999,894,635.27
Bank: 62,123.56
Total Bankroll: 4,999,956,758.83
Donate
no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!
Arizona Diamondbacks Miami Dolphins Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealLynch51 View Post
IMO...

#1: I think a god or some sort of higher being is real (Im more in the school of Karma)

#2: The Bible is not historically reliable at all. Most books of the bible were written hundreds of years after the time of Jesus and the clash between the New and Old Testament seem wrong to me. Still think they're are some decent values to be found in there.

#3: Jesus was real and was one of the greatest philosophers of all time with some great messages about love and handling ones self. However, he was not the son of a god, he didn't perform miracles, and his crucifixion wasn't glorified over anyone else's. He was a great man with a great message.

That is all.
This is not true.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
notredomer23
Go Irish

Cash: 1,916.57
Bank: 1,462,419.15
Total Bankroll: 1,464,335.73
Donate
notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees New York Knicks New York Giants Notre Dame Manchester City USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyok1 View Post

Question 1. Yes. This was no an accident. Something created the universe, whether it was the monotheistic God or something else.

Question 2. Meh. Some stories in the Bible should be taken as just that-- stories. I tend to think the New Testament is much more accurate than the Old, but some of the Old Testament is really cool(and historically accurate) such as Isaiah and Maccabees.

Question 3. Real Person. Don't think that is really disputable now even by atheists.

All IMO.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jebediah Springfield

Cash: 11,101,622,995.59
Bank: 1.11
Total Bankroll: 11,101,622,996.70
Donate
Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!Jebediah Springfield should be giving advice to Kelly!
Seattle SuperSonics Notre Dame

1. Don't know

2. Don't know

3. Don't know

About to read A Secular Age by Charles Taylor.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ironman8
Jaqen H'ghar

Cash: 8,158,624.68
Bank: 253,083,617,392.72
Total Bankroll: 253,091,776,017.40
Donate
Ironman8 should be giving advice to Kelly!Ironman8 should be giving advice to Kelly!Ironman8 should be giving advice to Kelly!Ironman8 should be giving advice to Kelly!Ironman8 should be giving advice to Kelly!Ironman8 should be giving advice to Kelly!Ironman8 should be giving advice to Kelly!Ironman8 should be giving advice to Kelly!Ironman8 should be giving advice to Kelly!Ironman8 should be giving advice to Kelly!Ironman8 should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees New York Knicks New York Giants New Jersey Devils Providence

I believe in the second coming of Reesus.