Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion

Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion (http://www.irishenvy.com/forums/)
-   The Leprechaun Lounge (http://www.irishenvy.com/forums/leprechaun-lounge/)
-   -   Theology (http://www.irishenvy.com/forums/leprechaun-lounge/191034-theology.html)

bobbyok1 02-09-2014 10:04 PM

Theology

As a vocational pastor I have been digging into three questions as of late and wanted to present them to interested IE members for mutual growth. I must admit I come to this discussion with preconceived notions of the correct answers to these questions, but I do feel as though I have much more room to grow in my understanding. The questions were stirred in me as I engaged a DVD series called "True U" by Focus on the Family (a conservative evangelical para church organization). I would love to hear your ideas, feedback and dialogue about the three. Humor is welcome, but please no abusing one another through hateful, degrading or belittling speech. Thanks!

Question #1- Is there a God? (A question of origin)

Question #2- Is the Bible reliable? (That is historically)

Question #3- Who is Jesus? (Real person? Fairy tale?)

(Since these are each huge questions that do not have simple answers feel free to tackle one at a time).

GATTACA! 02-09-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyok1 (Post 1226470)
As a vocational pastor I have been digging into three questions as of late and wanted to present them to interested IE members for mutual growth. I must admit I come to this discussion with preconceived notions of the correct answers to these questions, but I do feel as though I have much more room to grow in my understanding. The questions were stirred in me as I engaged a DVD series called "True U" by Focus on the Family (a conservative evangelical para church organization). I would love to hear your ideas, feedback and dialogue about the three. Humor is welcome, but please no abusing one another through hateful, degrading or belittling speech. Thanks!

(Since these are each huge questions that do not have simple answers feel free to tackle one at a time).

Bill Nye would like a word.

TheRealLynch51 02-09-2014 10:13 PM

IMO...

#1: I think a god or some sort of higher being is real (Im more in the school of Karma)

#2: The Bible is not historically reliable at all. Most books of the bible were written hundreds of years after the time of Jesus and the clash between the New and Old Testament seem wrong to me. Still think they're are some decent values to be found in there.

#3: Jesus was real and was one of the greatest philosophers of all time with some great messages about love and handling ones self. However, he was not the son of a god, he didn't perform miracles, and his crucifixion wasn't glorified over anyone else's. He was a great man with a great message.

That is all.

no.1IrishFan 02-09-2014 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealLynch51 (Post 1226472)
IMO...

#1: I think a god or some sort of higher being is real (Im more in the school of Karma)

#2: The Bible is not historically reliable at all. Most books of the bible were written hundreds of years after the time of Jesus and the clash between the New and Old Testament seem wrong to me. Still think they're are some decent values to be found in there.

#3: Jesus was real and was one of the greatest philosophers of all time with some great messages about love and handling ones self. However, he was not the son of a god, he didn't perform miracles, and his crucifixion wasn't glorified over anyone else's. He was a great man with a great message.

That is all.

This is not true.

notredomer23 02-09-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyok1 (Post 1226470)

Question 1. Yes. This was no an accident. Something created the universe, whether it was the monotheistic God or something else.

Question 2. Meh. Some stories in the Bible should be taken as just that-- stories. I tend to think the New Testament is much more accurate than the Old, but some of the Old Testament is really cool(and historically accurate) such as Isaiah and Maccabees.

Question 3. Real Person. Don't think that is really disputable now even by atheists.

All IMO.

Jebediah Springfield 02-09-2014 10:35 PM

1. Don't know

2. Don't know

3. Don't know

About to read A Secular Age by Charles Taylor.

Ironman8 02-09-2014 10:37 PM

I believe in the second coming of Reesus.