Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Outside The Lines > The Leprechaun Lounge
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
CTHindman
Waterboy

Cash: 1,260.00
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 1,260.00
Donate
CTHindman is a splendid one to beholdCTHindman is a splendid one to beholdCTHindman is a splendid one to beholdCTHindman is a splendid one to beholdCTHindman is a splendid one to beholdCTHindman is a splendid one to beholdCTHindman is a splendid one to beholdCTHindman is a splendid one to beholdCTHindman is a splendid one to beholdCTHindman is a splendid one to beholdCTHindman is a splendid one to behold

#1. Yes. Without a doubt. Is he a "clockwork" God that only set the universe in motion or the active God that affects day to day life, I do not know for sure.
#2. I do not think that the bible was ever intended to be a history book. I believe that just as Jesus spoke in parables, the bible is full of parables. Historical accuracy does make the it more or less valid in our lives today.
#3. Jesus is the Son of God. He was real. I believe that he was self actualized, much like The Budha and other famous religious individuals in history. I do believe he was capable of love that in itself was a miracle at that time in history. His ability to accept people seems to be losses in today's Christianity.

Sent from my Etch-a-sketch using Tapatalk.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 02-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
dshans
They call me The Dribbler

Cash: 59,936,000,000,002,368.00
Bank: 5,914,869,899,530,276.00
Total Bankroll: 65,850,869,899,532,640.00
Donate
dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!dshans should be giving advice to Kelly!
Minnesota Twins New Orleans Saints Dartmouth

Oy vez ist mir!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
KPENN
Tip your vBookie

Cash: 2,715.09
Bank: 170,529,248,992,728.62
Total Bankroll: 170,529,248,995,443.72
Donate
KPENN should be giving advice to Kelly!KPENN should be giving advice to Kelly!KPENN should be giving advice to Kelly!KPENN should be giving advice to Kelly!KPENN should be giving advice to Kelly!KPENN should be giving advice to Kelly!KPENN should be giving advice to Kelly!KPENN should be giving advice to Kelly!KPENN should be giving advice to Kelly!KPENN should be giving advice to Kelly!KPENN should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees Philadelphia 76ers Philadelphia Eagles Philadelphia Flyers Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyok1 View Post
Question #1- Is there a God? (A question of origin)
No I don't think so. In my opinion Theists use a very lazy thought process when the topic of creation comes up, that "something can't come from something", when there is no explanation(that I am aware of) where god came from, his origin, etc...

Quote:
Question #2- Is the Bible reliable? (That is historically)
Maybe bits and pieces but for the most part I don't think so.

Quote:
Question #3- Who is Jesus? (Real person? Fairy tale?)
Maybe a real person, but the story is a fairy tale. I'll just leave this

10 Christ-like Figures Who Pre-Date Jesus - Listverse

Last edited by KPENN; 02-09-2014 at 10:49 PM..
Old 02-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
bobbyok1
Blue Chip Recruit

Cash: 17,174,613.93
Bank: 3,371,838.12
Total Bankroll: 20,546,452.05
Donate
bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!bobbyok1 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Chicago Bulls Chicago Bears Chicago Blackhawks Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATTACA! View Post
Bill Nye would like a word.
Nice! I didn't catch his debate he had recently.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Old Man Mike
Fast as Lightning!

Cash: 40,051,791,708.48
Bank: 1,130,363,411,490,136.50
Total Bankroll: 1,130,403,463,281,845.00
Donate
Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!

It's too late for this old man to respond to such deep matters, and this isn't a proper medium for doing so. I will risk making a few absurdly inadequate comments.

1). GOD exists as one of the two absolutes in existence. The other is the Chaos, what the ancients thought of as "nothing" or utter disorder, and modern science would call the sea of micro-black holes. Our most intelligent scientist, John von Neumann reasoned that for the Universe to exist there must be, by Quantum Mechanical law, an "Observer" to collapse its Wave Function from this State of Chaos. That Observer must be beyond this Universe, and there was only One Entity that he could think of to do that job.

2). The Bible is a great mix of different types of literature, so the question is naively put. Some of it is allegory. Some of it is poetry. Some of it is cultural law and mores. Some of it is legend. AND some of it is historical. Biblical archaeology has shown a huge amount of historical truth in some areas of the Bible, and this is not in academic dispute.

3). Jesus was clearly a real person, and this is attested to not only in Josephus but in several other old sources. The depth of early followership that He had alone shows this. By the 200s a Roman empress [no Christian she] was so impressed with his life that she had a temple built to honor him and two other "wonder workers". Whether one believes that Jesus was Son of God is a different question. I believe that He is, though I have no scientific proof, nor does anyone. His words alone are so humanly counterintuitive, however, that one wonders who else they could have come from.

Now, old man will hit the sack.......
Old 02-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Irish YJ
It's gonna be a fun ride

Cash: 100,160,000,117,427.45
Bank: 4,957,316,715,383,044.00
Total Bankroll: 5,057,476,715,500,471.00
Donate
Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Indiana Germany

1. Yes. I'm more of a spiritualist in the sense I believe in a higher power. I don't think we just "happened".
2. Reliable is a stretch, but here are some elements that are semi accurate. In my research regarding the origination of the book, the gospels, etc.... Just too many human hands in the mix. And I don't buy into the explanation that the humans where driven by divine inspiration. Hell, pagans had a hand in picking the books and choosing our holidays.
3. Yes he was a real person. Was he the son of god, I'd like to think so.

Bonus: I do not buy into Papal infallibility at all, nor do I feel the Vatican has historically been a great role model to the masses. Again, just men, and subject to all their flaws and failures.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
greyhammer90
the drunk piano player

Cash: 1,415,866,314,347,574.75
Bank: 179,364,986,458,547,584.00
Total Bankroll: 180,780,852,772,895,168.00
Donate
greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Atlanta Braves Memphis Grizzlies Tennessee Titans Nashville Predators

1) I think there is something, though not what we expect or conceptualize. If there is a singular god with a mind and a conscious awareness of "himself"(which I doubt) I don't think he cares about us at all. It wouldn't be like us caring about ants, because I think ants are more relatable to us then we would be to a God.

2). As others have said, parts are probably based in history. But much of it is fables and stories passed down to express our society's morals.

3) I have no opinion or knowledge. His ideas are special though, and are the reason I do consider myself a Christian. I don't know if the man was the son of a guy that hangs out with angels or anything, but his philosophy was and is holy in my opinion. If that makes sense.

Funnier than you in 2012.