Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Outside The Lines > The Leprechaun Lounge
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2016, 11:12 PM   #694 (permalink)
zelezo vlk
Legend

Cash: 113,765,060,806.72
Bank: 17,949,675,559,521.77
Total Bankroll: 18,063,440,620,328.49
Donate
zelezo vlk should be giving advice to Kelly!zelezo vlk should be giving advice to Kelly!zelezo vlk should be giving advice to Kelly!zelezo vlk should be giving advice to Kelly!zelezo vlk should be giving advice to Kelly!zelezo vlk should be giving advice to Kelly!zelezo vlk should be giving advice to Kelly!zelezo vlk should be giving advice to Kelly!zelezo vlk should be giving advice to Kelly!zelezo vlk should be giving advice to Kelly!zelezo vlk should be giving advice to Kelly!
St Louis Cardinals Chicago Bulls Chicago Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizards8507 View Post
Articles: Catholics and Communists

Sent from my Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk.
Do you have any thoughts that you'd like to share?

I often find myself wanting the bishops to reprimand individual priests who espouse teaching that I would consider heterodox at best and scandalous at worst. However, I don't think the article's argument is very strong. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to miss many of the teaching of the Church. If you'd like, I'll expand in the morning, but if not, I certainly don't deem it necessary.

Speaking of theology, does anybody have any experience with Balthasar or have any advice in where to start?

Also, I'm very happy to share that I am going to Rome on pilgrimage in November. I've been twice before, but never as a Papist, so if anybody has any suggestions/tips I'd be glad to receive them.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 05-28-2016, 12:30 AM   #695 (permalink)
BabyIrish
Marble Mouth

Cash: 23,730,018,121.76
Bank: 131,178,665,640.06
Total Bankroll: 154,908,683,761.82
Donate
BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelezo vlk View Post
Also, I'm very happy to share that I am going to Rome on pilgrimage in November. I've been twice before, but never as a Papist, so if anybody has any suggestions/tips I'd be glad to receive them.
Doing a Scavi tour to see the bones of St Peter is one of the most memorable things I've done. It's very limited so I don't know how hard it is to get in but worth trying.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #696 (permalink)
wizards8507
Wizstradamus

Cash: 60,939.68
Bank: 1.24
Total Bankroll: 60,940.92
Donate
wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics New England Patriots Boston Bruins Notre Dame

Judge Nap (Notre Dame Law) says everything I think and way more eloquently.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-02-2016, 03:21 PM   #697 (permalink)
Whiskeyjack
Logic & Reason

Cash: 5,000,119,486.83
Bank: 23,891,584,781,576,008.00
Total Bankroll: 23,891,589,781,695,500.00
Donate
Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!
Notre Dame

Quote:
Judge Nap (Notre Dame Law) says everything I think and way more eloquently.
Serious cognitive dissonance there by Judge Napolitano. No, Jesus was not a libertarian. Ayn Rand despised Christianity, and the Catholic Church in particular. So no, Judge Napolitano, you cannot be both a Randian Objectivist in economics and a good Catholic in everything else. They're incompatible worldviews.

He's spent too long in the Fox News bubble, having bought into the false dichotomy of radical individualism v. totalitarian communism. Yes, there are individualist elements in Catholic theology-- such as the importance of having the liberty to pursue what is Good, True and Beautiful, to develop one's own unique talents to their fullest extent, to grow in discipline, knowledge and virtue, etc. But once attained through liberty, the purpose of that power/agency--the proper telos of human existence--is to give it away, to emulate Jesus by dying to self.

Here's a snippet from a recent article about Paul Ryan and Ayn Rand:

Quote:
The problem with Ayn Rand is the problem with every ideologue, heretic and godless thinker: they come up with a few good ideas that the Catholic Church had to start with and mix it up with a bunch of poisonous things that seem like good ideas. Then the Catholic truth attracts people (as truth always does) and they swallow the rest of the poison with it.
And here's what Ryan had to say about Rand:

Quote:
“I reject her philosophy. … It’s an atheist philosophy. It reduces human interactions down to mere contracts and it is antithetical to my worldview.” He said, “I, like millions of young people in America, read Rand’s novels when I was young. I enjoyed them. … They spurred an interest in economics, in the Chicago School and Milton Friedman. … If somebody is going to try to paste a person’s view on epistemology to me, then give me Thomas Aquinas. … Don’t give me Ayn Rand.””
Old 06-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #698 (permalink)
wizards8507
Wizstradamus

Cash: 60,939.68
Bank: 1.24
Total Bankroll: 60,940.92
Donate
wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!wizards8507 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics New England Patriots Boston Bruins Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
Serious cognitive dissonance there by Judge Napolitano. No, Jesus was not a libertarian. Ayn Rand despised Christianity, and the Catholic Church in particular. So no, Judge Napolitano, you cannot be both a Randian Objectivist in economics and a good Catholic in everything else. They're incompatible worldviews.
You're arguing against a strawman version of libertarianism just like you always do. I don't think you're doing it to be dishonest, I just really think you misunderstand what libertarianism is at its core. Libertarianism is primacy of the individual over the state. That's it. For some reason, you insist that libertarian rejection of state authority means the libertarian must reject all authority, and that's crap. Libertarianism does not have to be an all-encompassing worldview. It's just a political framework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
He's spent too long in the Fox News bubble, having bought into the false dichotomy of radical individualism v. totalitarian communism. Yes, there are individualist elements in Catholic theology-- such as the importance of having the liberty to pursue what is Good, True and Beautiful, to develop one's own unique talents to their fullest extent, to grow in discipline, knowledge and virtue, etc. But once attained through liberty, the purpose of that power/agency--the proper telos of human existence--is to give it away, to emulate Jesus by dying to self.

Here's a snippet from a recent article about Paul Ryan and Ayn Rand:

And here's what Ryan had to say about Rand:
I'm sure you can supply the formal Latin term for the logical fallacy you're using here, Ayn Rand being an atheist does not mean her political philosophy is incompatible with Christianity. If a murderer says "the grass is green," it doesn't mean a good Christian has to reject the truth of his statement just because Christianity is anti-murder.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #699 (permalink)
Whiskeyjack
Logic & Reason

Cash: 5,000,119,486.83
Bank: 23,891,584,781,576,008.00
Total Bankroll: 23,891,589,781,695,500.00
Donate
Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!
Notre Dame

Quote:
You're arguing against a strawman version of libertarianism just like you always do. I don't think you're doing it to be dishonest, I just really think you misunderstand what libertarianism is at its core.
I'm well read when it comes to libertarian philosophy (I used to identify as one, and I was a Poli Sci major). It's Ayn Rand, Robert Nozick, Murray Rothbard, Peter Singer etc.

Quote:
Libertarianism is primacy of the individual over the state. That's it.
It's more than that. Libertarianism is a complete philosophy which, if adopted consistently, has moral implications for every sphere of human life. And while libertarianism is consistent with certain aspects of Catholic doctrine, like the importance of liberty, it mistakes a secondary good for a primary one, and purports to justify some very antisocial ends as a result. If you want to get really theological about it, one can draw a straight line from the Protestant theory of private judgment to libertarian philosophy, but that's beyond the scope of this post.

Quote:
For some reason, you insist that libertarian rejection of state authority means the libertarian must reject all authority, and that's crap. Libertarianism does not have to be an all-encompassing worldview. It's just a political framework.
Consilience, or the unity of knowledge, is foundational to both Catholic doctrine and the scientific method. Regarding the latter, if a theory only "works" within very narrow parameters, it's not a very good theory, and will be discarded in favor of a more comprehensive one that works under a broader set of parameters. Similarly , if libertarianism only "works" (and what does that even mean?) economically, it's not a very good theory, and should be discarded in favor of one that more accurately promotes human flourishing.

A couple weeks ago I posted an article by Will Wilkinson which argues that classical liberalism is demonstrably the most effective economic system we've discovered for innovating and generating wealth. He goes on to argue that we should defend it on that basis alone, because social justice can only be achieved in societies that are secure and prosperous. I think that's a defensible position, but only if one addresses social justices issues seriously; and for the reason described below, libertarians do not take that crucial second step.

I think libertarians see the undeniable historical success of classical liberal economics, draw the wrong conclusions about why it works (negative liberty made us rich!), and then apply those wrong conclusions to all other spheres of human life (negative liberty is the only way to bring about a just society!). The principles of classical liberal economics made us rich by encouraging innovation and inclusivity on unprecedented scales; but if you applied that conclusion to all other spheres of human life, you'd get something much closer to Catholic social thought than libertarianism.

Quote:
I'm sure you can supply the formal Latin term for the logical fallacy you're using here, Ayn Rand being an atheist does not mean her political philosophy is incompatible with Christianity. If a murderer says "the grass is green," it doesn't mean a good Christian has to reject the truth of his statement just because Christianity is anti-murder.
I wasn't attempting to invalidate Rand's philosophy based solely on her religious beliefs. But her very public hostility to Christianity should give any thoughtful Catholic pause before endorsing her philosophy.

Last edited by Whiskeyjack; 06-02-2016 at 07:52 PM..
Old 06-02-2016, 07:36 PM   #700 (permalink)
greyhammer90
the drunk piano player

Cash: 1,915,866,314,353,465.00
Bank: 576,962,787,181,607,552.00
Total Bankroll: 578,878,653,495,960,960.00
Donate
greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Atlanta Braves Memphis Grizzlies Tennessee Titans Nashville Predators

Not going to be the deepest thing posted on this thread, but one of my most respected video game reviewers just had an well-written video about a Witcher III expansion and its take on the Faustian legend. Thought his throwaway comments on what makes this version more "modern" as well as what the community has decided the "good" ending is were interesting from an individualistic/theological perspective, if not particularly surprising. I'll likely pick this up for the story alone

Funnier than you in 2012.