Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Football Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2017, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
arrowryan
All-American

Cash: 2,992,511.22
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 2,992,511.22
Donate
arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Pittsburgh Steelers Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDinBoston View Post
I know this question is for someone like NDC but from his HUDL page he is a 4.5 40.

Abdul-Malik McClain - Hudl

Casting a wider net? Maybe not a take yet? NDC?
I don't see how the staff would offer a kid a year before NSD and have the kid not be a take.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 02-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
NDinBoston
Freshman

Cash: 66,113.01
Total Bankroll: 66,113.01
Donate
NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowryan View Post
I don't see how the staff would offer a kid a year before NSD and have the kid not be a take.
Fair enough and a really good point which is why I was putting it as a question. He isn't even ranked by any of the services so is UTR (?).

I guess I'm honestly confused with all the talk about casting a wider net (presumably not all are takes), slow-playing or not slow-playing, when to offer a "not a take yet", get on kids early (but don't offer?). It seems we have contradicting views when a recruitment does not result in a commitment. We either offered too late, took a 3* too early, didn't cast a wide enough net, etc...

I'm serious, I would love if someone could offer some great insight on those things.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
NDShark
Freshman

Cash: 199,000,001,392.83
Bank: 2,745,484,120,307.63
Total Bankroll: 2,944,484,121,700.47
Donate
NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Giants Notre Dame

Wasn't Jaelinn(sp?) Phillips very under-rated when ND offered? I think he ended up being #1 overall. Not saying this is the same player.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
NDinBoston
Freshman

Cash: 66,113.01
Total Bankroll: 66,113.01
Donate
NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!NDinBoston should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDShark View Post
Wasn't Jaelinn(sp?) Phillips very under-rated when ND offered? I think he ended up being #1 overall. Not saying this is the same player.
I think that's right but my question is more about the entire class. There has been a lot of talk that we don't put out enough offers early enough but how should they be managed?

Perhaps numbers will make my question more clear. Currently we have 91 offers out but only 19 or so spots. Obviously they cannot all be commitable (sp?) and they are a year out from NSD. Tennessee has 222 and Michigan has 172.

I'd bet opinions are all over the map. I guess I'm calling the collective us out lol. I would really value someone able to summarize an approach that most agree with.

Last edited by NDinBoston; 02-16-2017 at 09:37 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
NDShark
Freshman

Cash: 199,000,001,392.83
Bank: 2,745,484,120,307.63
Total Bankroll: 2,944,484,121,700.47
Donate
NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!NDShark should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Giants Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDinBoston View Post
I think that's right but my question is more about the entire class. There has been a lot of talk that we don't put out enough offers early enough but how should they be managed?

Perhaps numbers will make my question more clear. Currently we have 91 offers out but only 19 or so spots. Obviously they cannot all be commitable (sp?) and they are a year out from NSD. Tennessee has 222 and Michigan has 172.

I'd bet opinions are all over the map. I guess I'm calling the collective us out lol. I would really value someone able to summarize an approach that most agree with.
Hmm, I don't know jack about it. But, if I were to develop a plan, my process would look something like:

1) Intensive (and continuous) research -- reviewing tapes, visiting schools, talking with the recruits of interest and their famillies, etc
2) Big Board Development
a. Determine ideal class needs (in 2016, this would include CBs...)
b. Rank order recruits by position
c. Develop hierarchies within position ranks (un-commitable, Take, High Choice, and Top Choice seem to be kindly worded categories). Un-commitable is obvious. Take is not so obvious. Depending on # of players required at a position and number of recruits ahead of a Take, this is a discussion about fit and skill set vs other recruits. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think I'd want to place any recruit here until later in the process to avoid commitable offer confusion. High and Top Choice should be more obvious. Again, though, depending on how many recruits have interest and space available, this could become a discussion, or, as a staff, you can commit to first come, first serve. I think the staff should strive for the latter, which brings more transparency to the process for everyone involved.

After writing all of that, I now feel Un-commitable and Commitable would be two suitable categories, assuming your interested recruits are rank-ordered appropriately. This clearly demarcates who can commit on a first come / first serve basis.

d. Update board continuously throughout the year.
3) Communication of Intent
In communication w/ recruits, be honest about where they stand. Maybe don't disclose their rank order, specifically, but be honest about whether or not the offer is commitable. If there are only two categories on the big board, this is a very easy conversation. If the offer isn't commitable, but could be soon if you whiff on a higher ranked recruit, I'd mention that a commitable offer could be coming soon.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
NDCrusader
Legend

Cash: 1,012,057,994.47
Total Bankroll: 1,012,057,994.47
Donate
NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!

Here's how you offer without it being commitable.

For a player you want to recruit, who's a take if you had unlimited scholarships but who's currently plan b or c at his position, who's spot might have to be used at another position but who you don't want to commit at this time... Offer and tell him the next step is to get all of his transcripts and future classes sent in to the staff for review before being passed on to admissions. Tell him to get to campus with his parents / guardians to see if ND really is for them after all that if everything checks out you'd be able to publicly commit. This can take as long as you want to drag it out.

If unoffered 5 star OT, Brey Walker calls up and says he wants to come to ND. You take the commitment on the phone and do all that "play school" stuff afterwards.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
koonja
GOAT

Cash: 58,810.66
Bank: 680,116,906,670,253.75
Total Bankroll: 680,116,906,729,064.38
Donate
koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!koonja should be giving advice to Kelly!
Notre Dame

Geez, one 4-8 season and all of a sudden we're too good to offer 3-star prospects!