Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Football Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2008 Recruiting Profiles
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2006, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Irish Envy
Administrator

Cash: 8,397,555.03
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 8,397,555.03
Donate
Irish Envy is just really niceIrish Envy is just really niceIrish Envy is just really niceIrish Envy is just really niceIrish Envy is just really niceIrish Envy is just really niceIrish Envy is just really niceIrish Envy is just really niceIrish Envy is just really nice
Chicago Cubs Chicago Bulls Chicago Bears Indiana

'08 OH K Ben Buchanan (Ohio State Verbal)

Ben Buchanan (5-10/175lbs/NA)
Westerville Central High School (Westerville, Ohio)

Offers: None Listed
Favorites: Ohio State, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Miami (OH), Marshall
Local Press: Team Website, ThisWeek News, Star Beacon

Statistics
2004 - None
2005 - None
2006 - None
2007 - None

Accolades
2004 - All-Ohio Second Team
2005 - All Conference - Cardinal Division First Team, All District Honorable Mention
2006 - None
2007 - None

Multimedia
None

Last edited by Irish Envy; 04-29-2006 at 12:47 AM..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 05-14-2006, 01:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Irish Envy
Administrator

Donate
Irish Envy is just really niceIrish Envy is just really niceIrish Envy is just really niceIrish Envy is just really niceIrish Envy is just really niceIrish Envy is just really niceIrish Envy is just really niceIrish Envy is just really niceIrish Envy is just really nice

Last edited by Irish Envy; 07-22-2006 at 03:39 PM..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-14-2006, 01:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Irish Envy
Administrator

Donate

This is my preferred kicking/punting recruiting from the 2008. Hopefully we pass on Belmonte in 2007 and what not. This kid is the read deal.

Check out the above picture. It was sent to us courtesy of his dad (one proud papa) and the Westerville Central Touchdown Club. Good folks! Definitely the one kicker/punter I hope we press hard for and take in 2008.

Last edited by Irish Envy; 05-14-2006 at 08:07 PM..
Old 05-14-2006, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Irish Envy
Administrator

Donate

Per his dad, Ben will be attending the Notre Dame kicking camp in June.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Buchananfan2k6

Cash: 0
Bank: 0
Total Bankroll: 0
Donate

Smile Hey ben its Ray

This kid is an all around beast. He works hard not only on the football feild but in the class room also. I have never seen some one put so much effort in to his sport and this kid really knows what he wants. You guys would be crazy to pass him up. Believe me I kno

Can i get a big ben big ben.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Óglaigh_na_hÉireann
Sophomore

Cash: 53,488.50
Total Bankroll: 53,488.50
Donate
Óglaigh_na_hÉireann is a splendid one to beholdÓglaigh_na_hÉireann is a splendid one to beholdÓglaigh_na_hÉireann is a splendid one to beholdÓglaigh_na_hÉireann is a splendid one to beholdÓglaigh_na_hÉireann is a splendid one to beholdÓglaigh_na_hÉireann is a splendid one to beholdÓglaigh_na_hÉireann is a splendid one to beholdÓglaigh_na_hÉireann is a splendid one to beholdÓglaigh_na_hÉireann is a splendid one to beholdÓglaigh_na_hÉireann is a splendid one to beholdÓglaigh_na_hÉireann is a splendid one to behold
Cleveland Indians Mississippi

I know a few kids from Westerville Central.. I've heard his name thrown around before. He must also be a soccer player or something, other-wise, with that size he'd be playing a different position. I play SS and only bench/squat a little more than he does.

You never hear much about kickers, though.

Last edited by Óglaigh_na_hÉireann; 05-28-2006 at 12:05 AM..
Old 05-29-2006, 12:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Irish Envy
Administrator

Donate

I have been priviledged enough to exchange emails with Ben's father Tim and he had the Westerville Central AD send me this bio on Ben. I'd like to say I've received such welcome response on other prospects that I've inquired about, but nobody has been as helpful as the family and friends surrounding Ben.

You know what they say about kids with good support systems. Anyhow, I think Ben should be out #1 kicking/punting target for the class of 2008 as he sounds like just the kind of kid that succeeds at Notre Dame.

Anyhow, onto the bio:

Introduction
Ben Buchanan is a 16 year old Sophomore two sport Scholar-Athlete at Westerville Central High School in Central Ohio. His goal is to become the very best place kicker and punter in high school, college and (GOD willing) professional football and he hopes to use each opportunity to help others in their faith and families. Based on his accomplishments and accolades during his first 2 years in high school, many believe he is well on his way.

Character

I believe Ben’s greatest gifts lie in the realm of his personal faith, community spirit and work ethic.. Ben strongly believes in giving back to others less fortunate. He recently volunteered and traveled with me on a week long medical missionary trip to Honduras, Central America to help the people ravaged by Hurricane Mitch. Ben worked long hours in the pharmacy and played soccer with the local children who didn’t even have shoes to wear. He is active in our church working on Sundays in a local YMCA soup kitchen with his two younger brothers, my wife and myself. He respectfully helps in the preparation, serving and clean up of meals to homeless families. He is active in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) at Central High and actually helped start an FCA Huddle at Genoa Middle School. Faith is at the heart of what motivates this young man and he truly wants to use his gifts to help others in need. Ben and his two younger brothers are raised in a family where character does matter both on and off the field!

Academics

Academically, Ben has achieved at the highest level as an Honor student. He has a 3.7 GPA, (4.00) in the Honors program at Central High. He was selected by his teachers to receive the Outstanding Student Achievement Award in Health Sciences. He was again selected by his teachers to serve on the crucial Superintendent’s Advisory Committee, one of only three students in his class of 450. He is a Four-time Scholar Athlete award winner coinciding with his four varsity seasons thus far as a freshman and sophomore (2-football, 2-baseball) and he has remained on the Honor Roll every quarter in High School and Middle School. He will continue to pursue his Honors and Advanced Placement Curriculum during his junior and senior year.

Athletics
: Football
During his Freshman (2004) year, Ben earned the varsity place kicking position. This was actually his third year kicking having kicked in middle school under the direction of former Buckeye and 4 year starter Dan Stultz; at age 12, Ben was selected the outstanding kicker and punter at the Ray Guy Kicking Academy at Carnegie-Mellon University. Ben had an outstanding Freshman year earning not only a varsity letter but amazingly he was selected to the ALL CENTRAL DISTRICT 1st team, ALL OHIO 2nd team in Division 2 as well as the All Dispatch-Agonis team. Ben was the only Freshman in the state of Ohio selected to the All State, All District and All Agonis teams at all positions and in all 6 divisions! His longest field goal in a game was 44 yards and he was automatic on extra points. In his most challenging game and despite two time outs by the opposing team, Ben demonstrated ice in his veins by kicking the game winning field goal with 11 seconds remaining against OCC rival Olentangy. What is even more remarkable, he suffered what could have been a season ending ankle fracture on that play; a head-hunter broke through the line and punished his plant leg. Yet through true grit and determination along with plenty of ice and a tape cast, Ben made every remaining kick in the final three games of the season to help his team. He finished the year 7-9 on field goals (none missed, two blocked). For his extraordinary effort and courage, Ben was selected by his coaches as a two-time special teams player of the week and a Scholar-Athlete. A personal highlight that year was practicing with 2005 Groza award winner and Buckeye All American Mike Nugent.

Athletics
: Baseball

During his Freshman (2005) baseball season, Ben lettered as the starting varsity shortstop and right handed pitcher. He started every game in the infield and batted in the No. 2 hole leading his team in walks and bat control. He had a winning record as a starting varsity pitcher with the second lowest ERA. However, the award Ben was most humbled by was the Coach’s Award given annually by the coaches to the hardest working, most humble and dedicated varsity athlete. That is why I am writing you because Ben would never tell you about himself. He is a genuinely humble and hard working young man who has earned the respect of his coaches, teachers, parents and clergy.

Athletics
: Football

During Ben’s Sophomore (2005) year, he simply had fewer opportunities but clearly made the most of it. He worked extremely hard in the weight room and it showed in his game. He also earned the varsity punting job and served as a reserve quarterback. His kick-offs routinely went well into the end zone for a touchback. His leg strength increased allowing him to hit field goals from 59 yards (as a sophomore!) on numerous occasions in practice and he often practiced with no tee. Again, he was automatic on extra points (none missed, one blocked, 23/24). He had fewer field goals chances but maintained his accuracy going 5-7. Amazingly Ben handled all the punting duties despite fracturing a bone in his hand while playing quarterback during the 7th game of the season. Once again, he demonstrated toughness by refusing to let an injury keep him from helping his team. Ben is a football player, not a soccer player who kicks a football part-time. The lesson he learned from the injury during his freshman year was that a football player leads by example and determination. Indeed, despite the fracture and the bulky cast on his left hand, Ben handled every punt snap cleanly and punted for over a forty-two yard average during the final three games of his season. He made every remaining kick to help his team through a tough year. He again earned a varsity letter in football and was selected by his opposing Division 1 coaches to the 1st team ALL OHIO CAPITAL CONFERENCE (one of only 2 sophomores) and All Central District, Honorable mention team.

Athletics
: Baseball

Ben is now back in the weight room following a stellar (2006) Sophomore varsity baseball season where he batted .385 (.437 slugging %, .477 on base percentage) and lead his team in victories on the mound in arguably the toughest division 1 conference in Ohio, the OCC Cardinal. The OCC Cardinal has the No. 1 (Olentangy) and No. 3 (Dublin Scioto) ranked teams in Ohio as of the latest state poll. Ben just learned last night that he was selected by his Division 1 opposing coaches to an ALL OHIO CAPITAL CONFERENCE Baseball team. He will continue to hone his baseball skills this summer in an elite Ohio legion league.

Work ethic

Ben continues to dedicate considerable time and effort into perfecting his kicking/punting skills under the direction of Dan Stultz and his new high school kicking coach, Rodney Chenos, who kicked the game winning field goal in the Division 3, 2000 National Championship game (Stagg Bowl) giving Mt. Union its fifth national Championship. Presently Ben is working out 5 days a week with National Strength and Conditioning trainer, Mike Mayhew, CSCS to continue to increase his power and flexibility. Ben will be attending football camps this summer at Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Miami, Buckeye Kicking Academy, and Top Recruits. Ben, who just turned 16 on February 21, is now just shy of 6'0" and weighs 185 lbs and will play this season at 190 lbs while maintaining his lean 9% body fat and flexibility. He will also play wide receiver this season to better utilize his size, strength and hands. In the words of his kicking coach and former Buckeye and All Big Ten Kicker, Dan Stultz, "In my four years as the starting place kicker for the Ohio State Buckeyes, I had the opportunity to work with hundreds of young athletes at various camps across the country. I have seen many phenomenal kickers, but none with the work ethic and drive that Ben Buchanan possesses".

In summary, Ben is a blue chip place kicker/punter nationally and Ohio’s outright statistical leader in the entire class of 2008. He recently received regional and national acclaim by Bill Kurelic at Rivals.com.