Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Football Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2008 Recruiting Profiles
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2007, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
goldenlid

Cash: 0
Bank: 0
Total Bankroll: 0
Donate
I think what CW was saying was that we're not going to be nice anymore, and we will play the way all the other guys are.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 03-31-2007, 10:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
irishunclebill
Junior

Cash: 367,788.99
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 367,788.99
Donate
irishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud of
Philadelphia Phillies Philadelphia Eagles Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlid View Post
I think what CW was saying was that we're not going to be nice anymore, and we will play the way all the other guys are.
That is my understanding too which is why I don't see how the "looking" statement applies to our verbals.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pete
Sophomore

Cash: 37,261.00
Total Bankroll: 37,261.00
Donate
Pete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to all
Notre Dame

hypothectial you would be: Cave, Randolp, Golic, Goodman, or Cwynar. The us would be ND. If one of these guys goes out looking, then ND will recruit somebody for their place.

Is it kind of hypocritical, yes, but thats how it is.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pete
Sophomore

Cash: 37,261.00
Total Bankroll: 37,261.00
Donate
Pete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to allPete is a name known to all
Notre Dame

I don't think that he would rescind the offer, but lets say that ND is taking 5 LBs. We have 5 commits, A, B, C, D, and E. Now, lets say that C goes on a visit to another school, then Charlie would probably offer another LB, or get back in contact with a prior offer. Now lets say prospect F go aheads and commits. The way that I understood the presser, was that our 5 LBs would then A, B, D, E, and now F, and prospect C would be SOL.

Thats the way that I interpreted the signing day presser.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
irishunclebill
Junior

Cash: 367,788.99
Total Bankroll: 367,788.99
Donate
irishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud ofirishunclebill has much to be proud of
Philadelphia Phillies Philadelphia Eagles Notre Dame

You're right Shamrock. I just re-read the transcript and that specific "looking" quote was in reference to ND recruits. Here is the paragraph:

COACH WEIS: I just listen to you guys. You say you know where all these kids are going (laughter). With the Internet, I mean, you know where everyone is. Sometimes unfortunately that's how you find it out. The Internet is just like everyone else. If some kid is going to go visit to a school that's committed to us, that school wants, for some reason, to get that out, okay? Regardless of how that ends up getting on the street, whether it's the kid saying it, however it ends up happening, once it's out there, then it's an issue. There's nothing to hide in this thing. There's too many people in today's age with the Internet, too many people involved in this where they know things that are going on.

Hey, it isn't like we don't know about them. A lot of times people think we're stupid, we don't know about them. It's just how you're going to deal with them. I think you have to be ready to make a stand in recruiting. The stand has to be, you know, like a couple coaches I know actually have, if they want to go visit somewhere, you got if you're looking, we're looking. That's the way it's got to be.

The comment that I was confusing it with is here:

The other thing is, for all those other people who are silent verbals, silent commits, to me they're fair game, just the way my guys are fair game, because that's the way the game is obviously played.

It is clear from ND's continued recruitement of Jenkins & Gerrell Robinson that CW is also including "Soft Verbals" as well, and he probably meant them anyway when he made this statement. What will be interesting to see is if Datone Jones commit to UCLA does turn out to be still "Solid", and an Official Offer is confirmed, that would mean that the staff is really playing extreme hard ball this year.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
johnnd05
Johnny T. works for me

Cash: 194,826.36
Total Bankroll: 194,826.36
Donate
johnnd05 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnd05 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnd05 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnd05 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnd05 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnd05 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnd05 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnd05 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnd05 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnd05 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnd05 has a reputation beyond repute
New York Yankees Chicago Bulls New York Jets Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishunclebill View Post
I didn't know that, then who is the "you", and who is the "we" in that case. Do you mean to say that when CW said that, he meant that if a recruit who has verbally committed to ND starts looking after the commit, then ND is looking also, to do what? Rescind their scholarship? I don't understand, could you please explain further.

If you are correct, then I guess I completely misunderstood what CW meant, I thought it meant that ND (we) would look at any recruit (you) who indicates that they are still open to offers, even if they have given a verbal to another school.
I think the quote you give below clears this up, but I take it the point was that if a recruit looks elsewhere, then he has to be open to the possibility that his spot might be given away. This isn't the same as pulling an offer, though ...
Old 04-01-2007, 01:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
NDBCSChamps
Freshman

Cash: 1,454,546,239.50
Bank: 89,919,761,394,410,848.00
Total Bankroll: 89,919,762,848,957,088.00
Donate
NDBCSChamps should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBCSChamps should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBCSChamps should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBCSChamps should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBCSChamps should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBCSChamps should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBCSChamps should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBCSChamps should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBCSChamps should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBCSChamps should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBCSChamps should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cincinnati Reds Cincinnati Bengals Notre Dame

I think our future policy can best be summed up ironically, through the Brian Smith situation. When Smith told Iowa he wanted to take a look at ND they basically told him if you go you might as well take it because we are going to replace you. I think thats the new deal. If say, Goodman called and said he was going to visit UM, i honestly think that Weis would pull the schollie. There's no more bull****tin around with these kids, once your in your in. Don't commit until your 100% sure you want to be here. Mack Brown has the same rule at UT. Thats why no one leaves Texas, he straight up tells them that if they start looking around after they commit, that they no longer have a scholarship there. I think if kids are going to go back on their on their word Weis has to have the stones to follow through and pull schollies, that way the defections won't happen anymore.